Titans aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on August 23, 2012 – 10:39 pm

The story of the night tonight was John Skelton and Kevin Kolb, obviously. I think both players will still have their proponents and detractors, especially after adding in the offensive line issues. It sure feels like the game didn’t exactly clear up the picture, and it will be stunning now if a starter is named before the last preseason game.

But I am sure there will be much more QB talk, and I covered a lot of it in the game story. Besides, I’m quarterback-talked out. So here are some other things out of this game (which sometimes have to do with the QB, I will admit):

– The Cards wanted to take a look at D.J. Young at left tackle. Well, they looked, and it wasn’t pretty. They had to find out quickly if Young was viable. “That’s what you have to do,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said, although he acknowledged Young probably didn’t play well. “You want to look at the tape, but that’s the way it seemed.” The offensive line looked better with D’Anthony Batiste at left tackle and rookie Bobby Massie on the right. We’ll see if the Cards go in that direction.

– Beanie Wells looked just fine back on the field, with six carries. He only gained 12 yards, and some of that was on him and some on the line that just didn’t look good early. “Beanie looked like it was his first night out there,” Whisenhunt said.

“I still have rust to knock off,” Wells said. “I have to pick my legs up a little more. It’s one of the reasons I needed preseason. I always need the preseason. I haven’t played football since Dec. 24. But it’s progress.”

Wells was sporting the aerodynamic bald look now that he was back on the field. Well, at least I tried to give him that option. Nope. Just the reaction after he got a bad haircut two days ago. “I’ve already got a sensitive hairline, so …,” Wells said. “I’m gonna be thinning out pretty early”

– Larry Fitzgerald got five catches for 91 yards as he finally made an impact. Not that he was worried about it. “It’s just preseason,” Fitzgerald said. “We don’t gameplan.”

– Ryan Williams only had three carries but averaged five yards and Whiz was pleased with how he bounced back in game No. 2 for him. He certainly seems on pace to be ready when the bell sounds.

– Guard Daryn Colledge finally has an NFL reception (that’s him barreling through the defense below). And he’s converted 100 percent of his catches for first downs.

– Running back William Powell is leading the NFL is rushing this preseason. He had another 71 yards (on just seven carries) and has 231 yards on 33 carries (a 7.1 average) and three touchdowns. Yes, it’s against deep backups usually, but seven yards a carry is seven yards a carry. When you have the head coach bringing up your name, unprompted, in the postgame presser, that’s a good sign. It’s going to be a tough call between Powell and Alfonso Smith.

– Jamell Fleming saw some time at cornerback tonight with the first nickel package with William Gay playing the nickel role. Patrick Peterson didn’t have his best night, getting beat a couple of times by rookie receiver Kendall Wright. Defensively, though, the Cards were OK when turnovers weren’t putting them in bad spots. The Cards outgained the Titans, 410 yards to 217.

That’s it. It’s late and I have to be up in four hours to leave for the airport (no charter for me in the preseason, so …) Whiz will have an afternoon press conference tomorrow, and there’s a chance we will hear about most if not all of the initial cut from 90 to 75 players.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

78 Responses to “Titans aftermath”

1. By Rob on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

We need OL men like now

2. By NJAzCardsFan on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Powell looked really good out there and he looked alot quicker hitting the holes vs Smith. PP was horrible in his pass covreage. The OLine is a disaster. Can one surmise that Bartels is the odd QB out? Lindly looked good out there…….

3. By Jason Zumwalt on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

If it’s not Batiste/Massie I’ll be freaking shocked. Man, funny how much an injury can change things. A week ago I was extolling the virtues of the O Line and blaming Kolb for holding onto the ball too long. Then here we are with a wide open door on the left side and Skelton flat on his back. YEESH!!!

4. By joecb91 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I liked seeing the no-huddle with Kolb. Think we could see a lot of that in the regular season?

I think it could help out both of the QBs.

5. By bluepitt on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Sweet, Now we know Kolb is a smarter player and Skelton has the skillz,, lets platooon like we did with KW and ML????hahahaha

6. By Andreas on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Darren – I know Lindley is a Rookie, but you see a lot of rookies starting around the league, but am I the only one seeing that he is more poised in the pocket, has a better arm? Have it crossed Whiz mind to put him ind with the starting WR and TE’s to see how he respond? He might be our guy.

7. By Christo on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Well I’d sure like Whis to take some heat for the OL in the conference.

Losing the worst starting LT in the league (Check the metrics) shouldn’t lead to the disaster we had to watch last night.

I hope Schefter’s speak of a QB was non-sense, because as pointed out ad nauseum last night there isn’t a QB in the league that is going to be successful behind that line.

Thanks Whis, Thanks Grimm. Good riddance to you both after our upcoming 5 Win season.

8. By Ezz on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Despite the interceptions, i think last night was a very important game because we got to see the two QB’s with the roles reversed. Skelton was the one with no protection last night and Kolb had the advantage of playing behind a better O-line. I’m not gonna use the word encouraging because you can’t really use that behind the way they played, but it was good to see Kolb sustain some drives. The bad is always ugly with Kolb but every once in a while we get a look at what he can do and it leaves us wishing he could do that all the time. We know what we have in Skelton, he’s not gonna miraculously become an accurate QB in two weeks, but with Kolb you get the feeling there’s the slight chance he may put it together enough to at least become an average QB which is all we need really.

9. By vegas4u2012. on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

- Since Darren is burned out on QB.talk,i will answer everybodys question for him.Based on the fact that both of these quarterbacks have been very inconsistent,it will look very bad on the decision-makers of this franchise to not give one more chance to kolb.After all they did give 60mill./a second round draft pick & DRC.to get him.The last preseason game will not make any difference!Therefore KK.will start the first game vs. the seahawks.But good news for all you big John fans.Because of our mediocre(i’m being nice now) o-line,he will take a beating & won’t be in action for long.Also Lindley will overtake the 3rd.string.qb.position.despite his mistakes last night this guy has to much upside to let him go,& the coaches know this.The same goes for powell.Put another 100LBS.on this guy & he can be starting left tackle>this guy has game! SEE YOU ALL AT THE STADIUM!

10. By dan on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I think Skelton gives us the best chance to win……….Kolb blows, I don’t care how good he looks in practice. I’m tired of the Cardinals passing up on great offensive linemen every draft. If I was to build a team I would invest in a great offensive line, games are won and lost in the trenches but the Cardinals run their team as a business and routinely want the skilled position players to sell tickets and at least look like they are trying to build a good football team. They should have throw a boatload of money when Eric Winston was waived…………enough said.

11. By dan on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Whats up with Jeremy Bridges at Tackle? What happened to that idea?

12. By Jon L on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

hey darren,
    I’ve watched every preseason game for the cards so far and W. Powell has looked very impressive to me. I know that alot of his work has come against 2nd, 3rd and 4th string Defenses but I find myself really rooting for this guy to make the roster. Do you think its a 50/50 shot he makes the team?

13. By Rick on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

“with circumstances leaving Skelton with only five snaps, including a kneel-down”
    That was from last game against the Raiders. Kolb got more time in that game. I thought Whiz said that he needed to give Skelton sufficient playing time against the Titans in order to evaluate where he is at. Skelton came out after the first quarter, while Kolb played well into the third. Do you know Whisenhunt’s reasoning and if not, what is your take?

14. By Walter H Richters on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

William Powerll, LaRon Byrd, and Lindley. All three of these guys should make the 53 man. LaRon Byrd made another grab while double teamed by doing a Fitz catch. He is playing better than Floyd. Lindley is playing better than either of the other two QBs. Start the kid and give the other two a message that they don’t have a lock on the #1 &2. THREE SECONDS can move the chains, especially with a RB like Powell.

As far as I am personally concerned, we could trade Beanie Wells for a good Left Tackle ane run with Powell and Williams. We woluld not be the first team to have two sub 5’10s in a duo.

OK Darren, you can scold me, but you have to admit I was right about Bryd and I think I am right about Lindley. He can play in this league and I think with all the weapons we have he could survive a start. How bad can it get. He is certainly better than Anderson and Max Hall. geeeezzzz Whiz. You have to see it too.

15. By Msdmf on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey Cards Fan,

About last night’s game. First team Vs First team: Arizona was easily beaten. O-line is terrible and it needs to be fixed immediately.

Kolb vs Skelton: I still pick Skelton. He’s a dangerous man, his throw is firm, he has a strong arm and feels so much confortable in the pocket that’s even nice to watch him play. Kolb is more accurate, however he will never be a Quarterback, sticking to him is a mistake and a big waste of time. He hasn’t shown the calm and ability of a real, real QB, he can go nowhere. His interceptions were ridiculous. Besides, that throw to Fitz was nothing to be happy for.

RB: Wells was average, nothing special. Williams, outstanding, this kid will grow a lot in the upcoming season, big plays are up to him. Powell shall be there.

O-line: no comments. needs a giant improvement.

Skelton: He had three throws that should have been catch, and be first downs. Those throws would certainly highlight his play today. I considered them nice balls, but dropped by receivers.

That’s just my humble opinion.

16. By Patrick E. on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Darren, Please tell Coach Ken Whisenhunt and General Manager Rod Graves to go and get 2 STARTING tackles. If They don’t we are screwed this year. It’s a fact that games are won in the trenches. After watching the game last night, i feel so bad for both Kolb and Skelton because neither of them will ever look like the QB we want them to look like behind this offensive line. Something has to be done.

17. By Tim in NJ on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I feel Kevin Kolb took the lead in the QB derby last night. Cardinals have 3 RBs & LSH they can pound down opponents throats in 2012, control the clock, time of possession, etc. That will open things up downfield and Kolb is a better play action passer. Kolb stood in the pocket last night, kept plays alive, and 17-22 is pretty good. Im ok with the INTs as they can be corrected.

Go Cardinals!
    Tim in NJ

18. By AzCardsBelgium on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

It really hurt me to see PP getting beaten 2 times and well it wasn’t nice to see, however it’s normal to have a bad game i guess. Hope we and he didn’t put the bar too high.

For the rest, well as i said Kolb will start week1 wether you like it or not, Kolb is the better QB WHEN he has somewhat of a Line. He is the more accurate passer and well if he finds Larry more, you see what happens.
    I hope our OL performs better and better we’ll need it.

Honestly i still believe we’ll be 2nd inf NFCW and get Wildcard as i kept saying the offseason.

19. By DontTakeLoses on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Kolb’s Int pick six reminded or Warner’s in SB.

We saw offensive rhythm, up tempo, the likes of which we haven’t seen in longtemp passe. Kolb is our QB.

20. By shane on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

When you say no charter for you. you mean the players ride a charter bus to and from away games? and do you usually ride with the players?

21. By reap37 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

That first half was ugly to watch. The Cards need to sort out the offensive line immediately. The defense wasn’t much better. Second half much better on both sides. Seems to me that the defense has to play “lights out” every play to keep the score low. The offense will have to run a lot because every time any QB is in there, he could be intercepted. This team is much better than they played. Of course, without Larry …………?

22. By wnycardfan on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I for one am really disappointed in what I see so far. With all the talk and highlights on some really good talent we have, the end result looks to be less than stellar. I know its just preseason, I get that. But again I say look at other teams in preseason, and I”m not talking about their win-loss ratio. I’m talking about how did their starters play? Our DEF, didn’t look as good as it should. Better than first two games, but not as good as I thought it would/should. QB……….I like Skeleton, I think Kolb is a bust. But neither can take a team to a championship. So many have said it, and its true, we haven’t had a decent QB or even prospect since the year Warner resigned and you KNEW he was leaving. Seems like our leadership doesn’t know how to pick them. OLine, what can you say. Its been horrible forever, and still is. NFL.COM guy says worse in NFL and QB’s are going to get hurt. Holy Cow, that is really bad……..that’s not some blogger like me spouting off, that is someone who gets paid to watch every game etc….So why is that? Why haven’t we done more to make them better? Coaching? (yes) Drafting? (yes)………………..Well, I hate to say it, but I’m setting my sights low this year, we finished 8-8 with some luck last year. This year, be ready for last place in NFC west and something less than 500.

23. By truths4all on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

When I see a rookie receiver easily and repeatedly beat Peterson for receptions and a TD, I am reminded of Peterson’s own words that he is one of the BEST in the NFL. Evidently his words to not apply to the pre-season as it looked like he wasn’t serious about playing (took the night off, did he? Must have if he is so good). Talk is so cheap when proclaiming your own greatness. BTW, Champ Bailey in his prime would have shut-down and completely covered that receiver like a blanket, even in pre-season.

24. By Louisville Card on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Seems hard to believe Powell wouldn’t make the team. Especially after Powell’s drive for a touchdown, Smith couldn’t get much out of his opportunity. Smith is a good backup but Powell has shown that he has more upside.

Darren, I don’t get why Skelton never even looked Fitz’s way last night, other than one horrible pass? Was that play calling or poor line play not giving him time to look? He seemed open several times when Skelton was in, but he always was looking in the other direction. Seems like Fitz should be your first read not your last…

One last ? Darren with how good Williams is looking in his limited action, what do you think his chances of starting are by the middle of the season? If there aren’t any injuries to him or beanie.

25. By john the draft guy on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

OK, I may have been wrong. We would have just ruined Tannehill behind this horrible O-line.

I disagree that Thursdays game didn’t clear up the QB debate.I think it is crystal clear; we dont have a QB.

Kolb is terrible, Skelton struggles. My fear is some will say Lindley is the answer and we will pass once again on drafting a first round QB next year. As a season ticket holder since 1990, i’ve seen this movie.

Powell vs Smith- taking smith over powell would be a joke. I’ve never seen anything in smith. There will be many “smiths” cut in a week or two.

I guess PP got a dose of reality.
    Everyone still sticking with taking PP over Locker? Thats alright, I said I would have traded down that year and taken Brooks Reed and Torry Smith (extra 2) and had another 1 in 2012 draft. Gee, with 2 ones, what do you think I would have done?

Michael Floyd can really block. If he never catches anything, he is valuable in the run game. On one powell run, he sealed the edge, then turned down field and blocked another guy.

Ryan Williams is good. very good.

Kolb had moments in this game. He moved up in the pocket and hit fitz while rolling to his… left?? wow. Of course those INTs were so bad, high school qbs are getting benched over those kind of throws.

On further review, Massie will get there. He has talent but slow feet. He will eventually get there.

26. By BeatSF on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

The only thing that is going to make our QB’s better is a steady diet of Beanie, Williams, Powell and Hyphen! A stout ball hawking D will help too.

27. By jascak on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Well, I was hoping that Skelton would come out tonight and put this QB pillow fight (I refuse to call it a battle out of respect to the word battle) to rest. I feel like you can’t judge him tonight soley based on tonight because he finally got the presurre that Kolb has experienced. I think Kolb has been at the helm for the best three drives of the preseason…but, if you take those drives away he has been horrific. I think the old adage “if you have two quarterbacks….then you don’t have the one” rings true for our team. I still hold on to the belief that our D and running game will make us competetive but if we want a realistic chance at a Superbowl then one of these guys needs to make HUGE strides.

28. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

It’s the line baby. can’t say it enough. Either QB can shine if they can get the protection. Beanie looked rusty but I think he will be ok if he can get some blocking. Ryan William is looking good as well. Took a real big hit to the legs and jumped right up.. Out of the running backs I’m most impressed with William Powell so far this preseason. I’m not impressed with WIlliam Gay, but I only get to see the games. I can’t see what he does in practice plus I can’t see who could displace him at this time. Maybe it was me, but it doesn’t seem like the defense is getting a lot of pressure on the QB. I could be wrong, but that’s just me. Overall, I think the team is progressing and will be ready for the regular season. To be in a position to win the game with as many turnovers as we had is huge. Hopefully we can cut back on the mistakes in the next game and be ready for week one. LET”S GO CARDS !!!!!

29. By Rio on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Wiz don’t cut Powell he is a keeper, He is another Matt Forti of the Bears please see it.

I don’t know him and i am not a relative. Just someone with a great eye for running backs.

30. By jmh1982 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I would be pretty surprised if Powell doesn’t make the roster. Alfonso Smith might be better in pass protection and things like that, but Powell can flat out run the rock and that is the most important thing for a running back to be able to do.

31. By Nick Pepe on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I wiill be shocked if Powell does not make this team.
    Defense impressed. Again. The rest was pretty ugly.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    daydream believer

32. By jmh1982 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I would be pretty surprised if Powell doesn’t make the roster. Alfonso Smith might be better in some areas like pass protection, but there is no comparison when running the football and that is a running backs most important ability.

33. By wampag on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey D let’s just say for arguments sake the CARDS cut Kolb what does that do to our cap? and let’s say we trade him what does that do to our cap, which depends on what he is traded for I imagine?

34. By Colledge for President on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Daryn Colledge oppisite Fitz. now we have a deep threat!

35. By D on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Partial blame should go to whoever decided on the 2009 second round draft bust of Cody Brown….T.J Lang, OT with the Packers would have helped last night…

36. By "Don't ever question my toughness" on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

This team is in dire straits! It doesn’t matter if we had Brady, Manning or even Jesus at QB. Our O line is so bad they couldn’t keep a pop warner team from pressuring our QB. It is obvious we don’t have a LT or RT tackle for that matter and we better do something quick. Better keep 4 QB on the roster as we will need them all as they will be getting crushed every week. Hopefully the D is just playing “vanilla defense” because they look horrible as well, no pressure at all. This is going to be a long season if something doesn’t change quickly. Even a old retired LT would be better than what was on the field last night. Sign a FA, make a trade, do something because you don’t have NFL tackles.

37. By Rufus on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

What did they expect starting a practice squad player at LT? I also do not understand why Russ Grimm always seems to get a free pass when the OL struggles year after year.

38. By Gerald Jones on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

So impressed with Powell and Lindley. Powell is so quick and evasive and has the fire in the belly to be a winner.
    Don’t laugh – but I would start Lindley at QB – or shall we lose 8 games first and then figure it out.

39. By DCG on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

When is our HOF offensive line coach going to take responsibility for the long term pathetic performance of his charges? Why does the media not point out the ongoing coaching failures with this critical group? Kurt Warner and his receivers were able to survive but even then the Oline was weak!

40. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Andreas –

RE: Lindley

For 2012, Lindley is not an option.

41. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Dan –

RE: Bridges

They know how Bridges plays tackle. They wanted to see Young and Batiste last night.

42. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Jon L –

RE: Powell

I think it comes down to Alfonso Smith vs Powell.

43. By Gerald Jones on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Lindley is our only option IMO

44. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Shane –

RE: Charter

Charter refers to the charter plane, not bus. Team left last night to fly back to Phoenix. I was on a commercial flight early this morning. In the regular season, I will be back with the team.

45. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Starting RB

If both are healthy, I expect Beanie to be the starter.

46. By Darren Urban on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Wampag –

RE: Kolb

Traded or cut, Kolb’s cap hit would be somewhere around $14M, I believe.

47. By KDubADub1324 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Step back for Skelton, step forward for Kolb. The protection wasn’t that great for Skelton, the running game was non-existent, and he took some mad shots early. He never really got settled and it just wasn’t a good overall performance. Kolb, on the other hand, aside from 2 bone-headed picks, looked good. I like how after each pick, he was able to bounce back and lead scoring drives. I’m sure that’s going to be a plus. The protection was better for him, he looked comfortable. I think AZ has found their replacement in Batiste at LT by the way. Perhaps, this is a good confidence builder for Kolb and for the fans in Kolb, and hopefully alleviates some of the heat he’s been getting. I wouldn’t be surprised if Whiz names Kolb the starter after tonight. Even though Skelton has looked better up until tonight’s game in my opinion, Kolb saved his “best” performance for arguably the most critical preseason game. Darren mentioned it earlier, that Kolb has probably done well in practice where Skelton has done better in games. AZ has to take everything into account however, games and practice. Regardless, got to support either guy and hope they can be consistent/efficient enough to help this team win in the regular season

48. By Eric Y on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Damn. We suck. Our defense can be awesome and #19 or #4 won’t get it done behind this line. I am actually starting to think that we will have to run a fast pace no huddle offense. Kolb running the no huddle might be our only hope. Sorry so negative but.. AGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Build a quality line for F’s sake!

49. By Mike in Mesa on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

How was this a fair competition. Game 3 Kolb plays a quarter and half, Skelton gets 3 pass attempts and gets taken out. this game Skelton gets the ridiculous offensive line, 10 pass attempts, gets taken out and Kolb gets 22 attempts? that seems totally fair. Looks rigged to me. Why was Kolb getting that much time compared to Skelton in game 3? If Kolb starts the season, kiss any chance of winning goodbye. Does Kolb play with the same tackles game 5 that Skelton just suffered thru? Was I imagining things when Skelton was supposed to get the start and time to assess his play? Whiz totally shafted Skelton this game. Fixed the line after Kolb came in and gave him way more time again.

50. By D on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

The positive last night to me was at least we are strong candidates for M. Barkley in the spring….Browns and Jags better get their minds right!

51. By Msdmf on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Sorry Guys, bu everyone who’s trying to support Kolb should have eyes wide open.

His OK drive was unusual. That’s not Kolb.
    The INT’s were usual. That’s Kolb.

He’s proven game after game he’s the worst in the league. Play Skelton and see what happens, If it doens’t work out, draft a high level QB next draft. It’s written, with kolb we go nowhere. nowhere.

52. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Ya gotta feel for DJ Young. He might have spent another year or two on the practice squad but instead he got his big chance… and now his NFL career is over. Somewhere out there Max Hall is feeling DJ’s pain.

53. By Jmpautz on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I know the reasons why, really a shame business gets in the way of logic. I see it so often working for a corporate giant. Go Cards

54. By jmh1982 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

The people calling for Lindley need to stop. He has had a little success against 3rd and fourth string defenses that aren’t putting any pressure on him. Also factor in that there are 2 QBs ahead of him that have starting experience in the NFL and have a full year on him in the offense. It would make absolutely no sense to throw him in the fire right now when we can give him some time to develop and learn the offense.

55. By Desert Disaster on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

well said!

56. By Jon on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Powell will make some team very happy if we cut him. Lets not do that.

I’d like to see Wells traded for an offensive lineman and Kolb traded for a $50 gift card to Outback Steakhouse, or something else equivalent to his worth. Skelton isn’t much better though.

Its sad to see Bartel being left out with this ongoing train wreck of a QB battle. I guess I’ll just have to jump on the Lindley train when Bartel gets cut.

57. By allen on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I WILL SAY IT ONE MORE TIME / WE NEED TO TRADE KOLB , WELLS, BROWN/ FOR O- LINE TACKLE.

58. By KurtM on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa… Amen brotha i couldn’t of said that better myself. Even the ESPN announcers were saying something needs to be done at LT Young was not getting it done Skelton got hit every time.

59. By john the draft guy on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

OK Allen,
    To who?? Kolb has not shown anything to draw interest for a trade, Brown is out all year and Beanie is coming off an injury.

Who is trading for them??

60. By FanSinceJamesHart on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

I honestly found the game pretty annoying, beyond the horrible offensive line play.
    I do feel like Massie, Baptiste played much better though in the Tackle spots than the other options.
    The offense was very tight and to be honest Vanilla when John was back there.
    Play calling was, at times was horrible and to top it off John had two dropped passes.
    One that would have put them in the red zone, the other for a first down.
    The lone interception he had, not only was he hit but I am not sure what really happened there. It was probably his fault but like I said, he was hit and when he taking to Whiz neither seemed upset about it on the sideline.
    Kolb gets in there, Whiz spreads the offense and really opens it up AND they replace the struggling Young. The offensive of line suddenly got better. The play calling also got better.
    Skelton also got a fraction of the work and I would have liked to see John with the same offensive line and play calls Kevin got.
    If Kolb gets the job, it was be a joke!
    After the situations both QBs were put into against the Titans. There was nothing fair about it and Kolb still choked and threw two interceptions. Even in a clearly more favorable situation.
    Now it’s possible going in Whiz had no plans for a announcement and will put John in situations like that for the Broncos.
    Still doesn’t change the fact that when john was in there, he got ten passes and the play calling was conservative( horrible at times), the offensive line worse and Heap/ Floyd dropping key passes didn’t help.

61. By Gerald Jones on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Why not give Lindley a shot against the starting guys on the Broncos to see what he can do?

I think Lindley is smart, agile, accurate and has great pocket presence. Other rookies are starting at QB, so why not Lindley.

Of course if we don’t have an OL, doesn’t matter who is back there.

Extra guys in the backfield may be required along with more no-huddle, and of course we need more cow bell.

62. By KKfan on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Just dropping bye to wish Kevin Kolb a happy brithday today! Good luck in the new season Kevin. Stay injury free this years. Still believe in you!

63. By joe67 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

All the talk about KK not extending his hand to JS. Did no one see JS kinda smirking and laffing with a couple other players after the horrendus pik.by KK?? Don’t want to make too much of it, there shouldn’t have been so much made about the other incident either. I like them both. Just want to get the decision made, and see the fans support whoever it is. The starter will have enough pressure without the fans booing and carrying on, or the two of them fighting with each other.

Keep up the great work Darren. Don’t know what I would do without this site.
    Thanx.

64. By joe on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Not only was skelton pressured every play from left side but his int looked like the guy coulda at least broke up the pick if he had not fell down also i saw at least one blown route that would have been wide open and two three easy drops on 2-3rd down that would have sustained drives. I keep hearing how good flyod is in practice but he hasnt shown me much during the games Laron bryd has impressed more PP will be moved to offense as a gimmick player if he plays like this all season good thing we drafted DBs in every other round

65. By Lenny753 on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Im not sure which game everyone was watching last night, but from the game I was watching: The cards put up 27 pts, gained 410 yards on offense, Kolb moved the ball down the field, Skelton did nothing, 14 different recievers caught passes, Titans only put up 217 yards on offense. If you take 3 of the 5 turnovers away, its a different game not to mention a seasoned vet in Matt Hasselback was the Titans second quarterback. The coaches helped out Young by putting a tight end or running back on the left side. This is preseason. Good coaches will take what they have and make it work. Put me in coach, I can play. Coach Whiz let Kolb scramble. Short, quick passes he can stay in the pocket, but he needs to scramble for the long routes to develop.

66. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

The Cards will regret passing on QB Russell Wilson in this year’s draft. Qb Andy Dalton was passed up last year by the Cards. The whif on Wilson will likely cost Whiz his job if we have another repeat of last season, which is exactly what is happening so far in terms of quality of play.

I know Whiz doesn’t gameplan for preseason games, but I bet he’s working on a gameplan should he be canned after the season is over. Each year that goes by is one that Fitz and the core group of players gets older, hence narrowing the window of opportunity.

Whiz inherited Warner and has not been able to demonstrate any kind of ability to recognize good QB prospects from bad.

67. By Kevin S on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Come on guys, those of you complaining about the crappy protection Skelton got (and it was definitely really bad) seem to have forgotten that for the first 3 games, it was Kolb getting the worse protection — to the point where Whiz actually even acknowledged as much to the media. See, for example:

Some of you act like this has been so cut and dried in favor of Skelton because he looked better in a whopping 3 preseason games during which he and Kolb each attempted a TOTAL of 15 passes. But now that Skelton had a bad game, you’re making the same excuses for him that the Kolb supporters were making. You can’t have it both ways. If you want to excuse Skelton’s bad game as being largely attributable to crappy protection, then you have to discount Kolb’s bad games somewhat for the same reason.

68. By SeeingRed on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Amazing how some fans and others (the 3tv a## clowns) seem to be looking at another game or something..While both Kolb and Skelton have had plenty of issues what has become most clear is that this offensive line has become disgraceful. I was never one in the past few years harping on the OLine but now its just unacceptable because u cant have a real QB competition with this type of thing. Kolb to me has shown some good things and Skelton certainly has as well. Skelton was ineffective last night?? I saw one bad interception and the rest were good balls and a lot of drops from the likes of T Heap and M Floyd-otherwise his numbers would have been a lot better. Get a grip, these QB’s will be fine with a half decent O-line.

69. By georgiebird on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

To the Cardinal fan, regardless of who wins the QB battle, the Kolb trade was a bad one.
    Although KC and Tenn are tough places to win at- the failure of the defense to play well at the start of the games is most disturbing. Are there any plans to use four down lineman, make Bradley the MLB and replace AW in passing situations?

70. By dan on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully at least one of the Tackles we draft can turn out to be a solid starter, but we need a solid starter now. Thankfully we have another preseason game.

71. By Dennis on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

Maybe the worst offensive line in pro football. What actually does Russ Grimm do? He certainly can’t coach the Offensive line. Other teams have marginal lineman; but somehow they find a way to make them perform. No quarterback can look good behind this line. This has to be our main concern this year. Running backs and receivers look good. Now fix the line or get a Offensive LIne coach that can………..frustrated.

72. By horned frog on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

sooo this qb situation is obviously a debacle. Wondering what happened to Bartel and don’t tell me he lost the qb competition to Lindley. He obviously hasn’t been given the opportunity. Dude completed 68% of his passes last preseason, and finished 2nd in the league in yards and TD’s and this year he’s 8/13 with a td. I understand that it’s preseason and people can rationalize that it’s against backups, but results are results. It’s all relative. In fact, it’s a recipe for failure. If he plays well, he was suppose to and it’s against the “backups”, but if he doesn’t he sucks. I would bet given the opportunity, like last year, Bartel would have shown up in this competition, probably to the dismay of the front office, head coach, and their ridiculous “qb battle”. At least do Bartel the justice of not calling it a ‘qb competition’ between him a Lindley when he’s cut next week. It’s obvious it has nothing to do with Lindley or Bartel. Dude can play qb, may not be a household name from an household college, but he can play. At least Mike McCarthy isn’t scared to give a guy like Graham Harrell a chance. So what, the kid fails in the preseason, at least he and McCarthy can say he got his chance when it didn’t count and we can move on.

73. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

georgie –

RE: Defensive schemes

I’m sure there will be different looks depending on the opponent. As far as Wilson, he has played well in coverage later last year and in this preseason.

74. By jumping jack on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

i swear if we cut powell i will be very upset. he has shown potential this preseason and has out performed alfonso smith by a long shot. who cares if smith made the team last year, powell has way more potential

75. By CreditCard on Aug 25, 2012 | Reply

This all comes doen to poor coaching. The Cards were clueless the DJ Young was not prepared, until he was in the game. A decent coach would have solved this a long time ago in practice — that is even as far back in OTAs. The mere fact, that they had virtually no idea how qualified he was, re-affirms to me that coaching staff is wholly clueless.

76. By Kevin S on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Horned frog — seriously, Bartel? He’s a journeyman who’s almost 30… there’s a reason he went undrafted, and has bounced around, never playing in an actual NFL game until the Cards gave him mop-up duty in a couple games at the end of the last 2 seasons.

The Cards’ QB’s have not been good the last couple years (actually, Kolb was about league-average before getting hurt last year). But all you goofballs who then go down the line and say “What have we got to lose… why not [insert Bartel, Lindley, or in 2010 there were people calling for Skelton from day 1 based on a couple good preseason games, when pretty much everyone who knows anything about football said he clearly wasn't ready to jump to reading NFL defenses from Fordham -- as demonstrated by his 47% completion percentage when Whix finally did use him at the end of the season]…” You seem to forget that the Cardinals were 8-8 last year, finished with a much improved defense, and actually still had a chance at a playoff berth as late as the 2nd to last week of the season. This isn’t a team that won 2 games last year and has nothing to lose by throwing, say, Lindley or Bartel out there… If you honestly think the Cards would ever go anywhere under Bartel, you are delusional.

77. By horned frog on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Seriously Kevin, if Bartel’s been in situations like this, perhaps there’s a reason he has the resume he has. Because two mediocre backups can’t separate from one another, Bartel pays the price by Not getting to show himself. 7 different head coaches on 4 different teams. Not exactly the resume for promising job security. FYI he was a pro baseball player first, thats why he’s older. You know where Tarleton State is w/o looking it up? I think its says more about him that he’s still here, than not. Didnt say he would be the next Tom Brady, just that he’s very capable and we all said that last preseason as well as him showing it. He’s the last one that should be catching flack. He’s a 120qb rating right now. I beg of you to look at the stats of most backup qb’s and you’ll start to see a common trend. Just because guys are drafted doesn’t mean their experience should keep them around longer. Most big name backup qb’s in the league have gotten staffs fired/almost fired when they were starters, than guys like Bartel. (ex. David Carr, Derek Anderson, Matt Lienart, Charlie Whitehurst, Brady Quinn, Caleb Hanie…these guys arent better, you just recognize their names. give me a break.

78. By Kevin S on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

OK horned frog… I guess I don’t really see the point of looking too carefully at a guy’s QBR based on going 8 for 13 in the preseason. (Amazingly, in that very limited duty, Bartel has been sacked 7 times — Lindley has 5x as many passing attempts and only 3 sacks. Maybe Bartel’s QBR is good because instead of throwing incompletions he’s taking sacks…) Now, I’m not saying his QBR in his real action is a fair indicator either, but it’s under 60 in the limited duty he did in 2010 and 2011. The problem is it’s too easy for us armchair coaches to say, oh, this guy looks good… they need to give him more of a shot. I mean, people are complaining that we aren’t seeing enough of Skelton and Kolb to battle it out for the starting job (which I agree with, considering both threw a total of 15 passes in the first 3 games)… and that’s with us having an extra game. It’s not like we can do justice to Kolb, Skelton, Lindley AND Bartel… it’s just not going to happen.