Three straight openers against a rookie QB

Posted by Darren Urban on August 26, 2012 – 7:18 pm

With the news today that the Seahawks will start rookie third-round quarterback Russell Wilson at quarterback (over free-agent signee Matt Flynn, in a mild upset given that Wilson had been generating big buzz since the offseason), it obviously impacts the Cardinals. The regular-season opener is Sept. 9, when the Seahawks visit University of Phoenix Stadium. That will make Wilson the third straight rookie quarterback to make his debut against the Cardinals in the opener.

In 2010, the Cards opened in St. Louis, when Sam Bradford had some trouble with Adrian Wilson in his first NFL game. In 2011, Cam Newton ended up setting an NFL rookie record for passing yards in his first game. In the Cards’ favor, they ended up winning both games (17-13 against the Rams, 28-21 against the Panthers).

Now the defense will get a chance at Wilson, who, unlike Bradford and Newton, was not the first overall choice in the draft. Defensive coordinator Ray Horton will also get a chance at Wilson, who is under 6-feet tall, the reason he went in the third round. I’m sure it will be one of the storylines for the game in about a week (you know, after we get past the last preseason game, any forays into the waiver/free-agent pool by the Cards, and their own decision at quarterback.)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Three straight openers against a rookie QB”

1. By optimistic on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

3 up…. 3 down….
    LEEEEEEETTTTTSSSSS
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    BIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDD
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNG
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. By jskeleton on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

I always say, “The coaches of cards are bad evaluators.” year after year. I’m not a coach, but I’m a fan. In this season, I’m so sorry to say this, but coach Kent Witz will loss his job. I love the man; he knows how to handle and react during bad games. He knows how to control his emotions. I like him, but he is not a good players evaluator. He doesn’t start his rookies because he doesn’t want to be questioned his evaluation skills. I have said that he will be in the hot seat more than ever. The reasons for this incident are: the NFC west is better than ever. The 49ers are tested. Seattle has developed strong defensive team. The Rams are growing as unit. The main reason for coach Witz to be fired is his lack of wins. The card will will end up with 6 wins of the 2012 season. I’m not to be mean, but I’ve seen this over and over. I love the cards. I love the personality of coach Witz, but it is hard to fool myself year after year. The bad decision of coach Witz includes keeping coach Rus Grimm. A good player may not be a good coach. However, coach witz hasn’t understood this concept.
    Darren, how many games do you think the cards will win in this year based on your current evaluation?

3. By hummer53 on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

I’ll say one thing, Whiz is very generous with giving the team days off. I don’t disagree with this but I hope the players on the final 53 show their thanks and appreciation by giving maximum effort once the real bullets start on Sep 9th.
    These players are well rested for the regular season and there is no excuse to come out “flat” the first game.

4. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Just heard Deuce Lutui got cut by the Seahawks. I’m wondering if he will show up at Cardinals Camp ?

5. By Kevin S on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Well, it seems that the notion that rookie QB’s (other than the very top picks) can’t start in this league keeps getting turned on its head. Weeden and Tannehill in addition to the obvious (Luck and RG3) and now this guy. 3rd rounder, though… and starting over a guy that was brought in ostensibly to be the starter… wow. Don’t know how Wilson (or Weeden for that matter) is going to do, but if they do decently this year, a lot of Cards fans (including, especially, John the draft guy) will have been proven right that this team should spend a higher pick on a QB. Losing this opener to a rookie QB — and one not chosen ’til the third round — would be comical given the Cards’ situation.

6. By Kevin S on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Also, this game already feels like a must-win. Division game against an improved rival, and we follow it up with two really tough games, at NE (even the most optimistic Cards fan probably isn’t projecting a win there) and vs. Philly at U of P (Super Bowl favorites of many). There’s a good chance that if we blow the opener we start 0-3; we get a little break in the schedule after that, but that kind of start would be disastrous.

7. By john the draft guy on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Cards win 10-9

Seattle scores on a Kolb Int but the extra point is blocked by Campbell. Later, they make a FG.

Cards score on a blocked FG by Bethel, Then a run by Williams, sets up a long FG. Then, late in the 4th quarter, Seattle makes a crucial mistake and kicks to Peterson, who promtly runs back the punt for a TD.

By the way, Kolb goes 22 of 25 for 187 yds and 3 picks. Kolb supporters point out that the ball never touched the ground.

8. By scubasteve12 on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren- Do you see cardinals re signing lutui for oline help since the seahawks released him?

9. By Lewis on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Speaking of rookie Quarterbacks starting, I really like the way Lindley runs the Offense and I think he should get a shot as the starting Quarterback this season. Yes he made minor rookie mistakes, but so did Skelton and Kolb and they are not rookies. Just a thought….

10. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

I hope Russell Wilson lights up the Cards for 300+ yards and makes Whiz and Graves look like quite the clueless to pass on this QB, let alone to a division rival. The Cards should have picked Wilson in the second round of the 2012 draft. Oh, wait a minute, we gave up the 2nd round pick in this year’s draft (and DRC) for Kevin Kolb. I have to give credit to Kolb though, he’s better than anybody else when it comes to lowering expectations for his play.

11. By Eazy E on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Gosh, I wish we had a QB like that. Ours don’t even compare. Cam put on a show against us last year kicking off the greatest rookie season ever! Adrian will be happy to know that Russell has his last name and he is a wolfpack alum. Russell has earned the job though, he has been playing excellent ball in the preseason. I like both QBs they have in Flynn and the aforementioned Wilson, Flynn won a championship at LSU and has played well in his only 2 starts(@NE,@DET), and I don’t think he’s played bad in the preseason, he’s played better than average, it’s just that Russell has been blowing up in the preseason.

12. By Eazy E on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Crazy phenomenon!!

13. By Ezz on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I have made an altar at my house and i will be praying to it everyday for whatever Gods there are out there to please for all that is holy bring Deuce Lutui back to us and rid us of the Adam Snyder curse. I know the likeliness of that happening is nearly zero, but fat Lutui is still twice the player Snyder can ever hope to be.

14. By Sir60 on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Russell Wilson’s strongest attribute is his accuracy. I would much rather start the season against Matt Flynn. We will have to score early and often to win this game.

15. By georgiebird on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Great to see a rookie QB in week #1 (again). It would be unfortunate to see a smart QB rip us to shreds in week #1. Horton has developed a defense that is way more athletic than it is smart. The 3-4 scheme that is being forced in here will be adequate to handle the inexperienced Wilson. My hope is that the smarter Flynn doesn’t get into the game until it is over. Sorry to be so negative about the defense but the Cardinals haven’t got the defense right since I don’t know when.

16. By wampag on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

you think they’ll go after Young?

17. By D on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Deuce was cut by AZ and Snyder was signed, Duece can’t play tackle…Vince Young can’t play QB….but the SeaHawks did release OT Alex Barron, at least he is worth signing for week one, sorry DJ Young, you had your chance….

18. By in fitz we trust on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

i think were the lowest respected team in the league at THIS current moment… looking around the league, in terms of quarterback and o-line play, were a joke at the moment. i bet most college teams would get past our line. hey if we have a horrid season, maybe ticket prices drop a bit lol… we gotta keep that sellout going somehow….

19. By AndyStandsUp on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Technically Darren, the 2009 Game One vs SF was Shaun Hill’s first season opener and JT O’Sullivan the year before, was a first year QB.
    So you have to go back to 2006 -07 when Cards didn’t face a “rookie” in the inaugural contest. (Alex Smith)

20. By Louisville Card on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Wow it’s looking rough on the post’s it’s pretty sad when georgiebird’s post isn’t even as negative as most. Although he still makes no sense…

@georgiebird

If your going to complain about something it shouldn’t be the defense…

@all questioning Whiz’s player evaluation skills

Look at the team he’s built. Other than the qb’s which I’ve posted many times that their were no good options, and the poor line the team is great. I know John the draft guy will say Whiz missed on Tannehill or Locker but let’s give them a season starting before we say he should’ve drafted them. Wilson was too short they tried a 5’11 guy in Hall and see where that got them. Not to say Wilson is Hall but their are quite a few similarities. I aka all of you who could he have picked that would’ve been better? I agree though that next years first pick will be qb, but let’s stop calling for Whiz’s head before they’ve even played a regular season game. Do you really want to go back to what the cards were like before him? If anyone should go it should be Grimm he’s the one responsible for not coaching up the line…

21. By Ezz on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

D

I know who cut Deuce and where he can play. A closer look will show you our tackles aren’t the only problem, the interior of our line isn’t exactly stopping anybody. I know he had his problems, i know he burned up all his chances, i know they probably won’t sign up and i don’t even know if they would want to come back. None of that changes the fact that he’s a far better player than Snyder ever was, especially in pass protection. We already have far too much to worry about when it comes to the edge. At least the interior should be made solid.

22. By Walter H Richters on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Welll, I just read the latest NFL power rankings by those Card hating %$^%&%&*^*&( writers.

OK, bring the fat boy back AGAIN and put Schneider at LT. Then fool everyone and start Lindley. :)

This is as good as most posts here. :)

23. By Msdmf on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

My opinion:

Play what they have to play.
    not even with God’s help cardinals are going somewhere this season.

Start Kolb, start Skelton, that doesn’t matter anymore, let’s be realistics… cards will go 4-12 ( two of the wins due to defense’s credits ).

I only hope we pick a QB next draft and let Kolb go as soon as possible.

24. By brad oneill on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

people it is not this dire. yes we have a qb issue, yes we have a line issue, but the strength in our defense is when it is schemed for the opposition, in preseason they play vanilla meaning all the things that make our defense hard to figure out are out of the playbook. What I see in the weeks ahead is a disoriented Seattle quarterback giving up 3 interceptions, followed by Tom Brady with a very dirty uniform who might not even make it through the game (they havent been able to protect him this offseason and we are going to be the angriest defense he has faced to date.) Then I see a 2 and 0 cardinals coming home to face philly to see if they are for real or are pretenders. we will know by week 3 if all this crying is warranted. I just dont see us as a sup 500 team and with a little momentum the 49ers will be chasing us for the division.

25. By georgiebird on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

@ LouisvilleCard-
    georgiebird is not negative. My comments are consistent and mostly accurate. I worry about the defense because the Cardinals have NEVER had a top flite defense going back to1960.. The Cards’ offense, on the other hand, has had many outstanding offensive seasons over the last half century.
    If you’re new to following the Cards(last 20 years), you probably don’t understand BUT the Defense is ALWAYS something to complain about. Just look at the Cardinal defensive front seven guys who have made All-Pro over the past 50 years-you can probably count them on one hand. That’s why I always worry about the defense.

26. By Should be a sports Analyst on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

I’ve Been A Cards fan since lienart was supposed to be our savior. So im relatively new to the arizona wagon and still have much more optimism than most of you here. I Have the cardinals going 8-8 again (or 9-7 because im still deciding if we can beat philedelphia. P.s. they were a superbowl favorite last year too) . With that being said lets give our defense some credit ! We beat New Orleans last year just based on it. Our Defense can force fumbles, return picks and our special teams are electrifying. If we keep Will Powell, we would have a great running game. Kolb can make some throws to fitz and that can move the ball down the field just enough so that our RBs can punch it in for us. Please dont lose hope, The Arizona Cardinals can possibly be a wild card team… Remember what happened last time we were 9-7??? :)

27. By Eazy E on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Msdmf-

Don’t ever say what God can’t do! This is probably pretty low on his list of things, but he can do whatever he wants to do including getting a decent QB in here if he wants.

28. By Kevin S on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

If nothing else, this just shows how the pursuit of a QB when you don’t have a good one can affect a team financially. Everyone has made such a big deal about the money paid to Kolb including the bonus we had to pay this spring or lose him. Well, at least Kolb came to AZ and started the first year until he got hurt. Seattle signed a 3-year, $26M deal to get Flynn, of which $10M is guaranteed, and he may never be their starter.

29. By Louisville Card on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

@georgiebird

I guess you dont read your post. You and cardsalltheway are the most negative posters on here and usually the most of base…

I’m not new to following the cards by the way I’ve been a fan since ’92 so it’s been 20 years…sure the cards defense of old normally sucked but that was then and this is now. The defense is the only shining bright spot this season besides Fitz and Ryan Williams…

30. By john the draft guy on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

georgiebird,

The cards defense was top 5 under Buddy Ryan.

Easy E,
    I agree with you.

Should have been a sports analyst;
    I remember the first few years I was a card fan.Wide eyed optimistic. Back then, the qbs they tried to sell us were Timm Rosenbagh, Chris Chandler, Boomer, McMahan, Schroder, Dave Kraig and that was the first 5 yrs.

It all ended with the draft of Plummer.Funny, a playoff game followed till the team was purged.

So, please understand that when we see the team usher out guys that bring up memories of Stan Gelbaugh, we are a little negative

31. By jskeleton on Aug 27, 2012 | Reply

Darren, at some point you need to answer your readers questions. There is a reason for everything. I understand your opinions may not be liked by the cards organizatio, but you need to answer your readers. This is a free communication stage.

32. By kekojones on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Darren:

Seems like Peter King”s prophecy may become a reality and the rookie may be starting by mid season after we are 0-8?

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

jskeleton –

RE: Answers

Thanks for the advice, but I know what I need to do and what I don’t need to do. Sometimes, I don’t feel like the debate or fighting. Free communication also includes my right not to keep answering, or to not answer the same things over and over and over. And too often, my opinion is beat down because someone doesn’t like it. I’m not here to run a message board and too many times, that’s what this comment section devolves into.

34. By jskeleton on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

You answering now. I see that you have something to say, but not worth it for job security or other reasons. I’m not try to be mean to you or the cards organization. I only asked how many the cards will win based your current evaluation? I’m just a fan that wants some insght or points of view from the person who knows the coaches, team: players, and system.

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

jskeleton –

RE: predictions

I’m not big into predictions because they have too many variables. If they get decent QB play, I believe this team can win nine or 10 games and be in the division race. If the QB play is inconsistent, they won’t be in the division race and they will need the defense to play really well just to be .500. Obviously, the QBs haven’t looked great in the preseason. We’ll see if that changes as the season progresses.

36. By jskeleton on Aug 28, 2012 | Reply

Darren, thanks for your info. I enjoy reading your comments and viewes that’s why I needed your insight. I like your answer about your prediction. Keep up with the good work. Thanks again. You have a good day.