Wednesday before the Broncos

Posted by Darren Urban on August 29, 2012 – 10:25 am

It’s an early entry for the “Before” version of the Broncos game, because later today I’ll put out my best guess at what the 53-man roster will look like on Friday. I know — I’m sure you are all waiting with bated breath. There isn’t much to say before the final preseason game. We can talk about the final 53 and fighting for spots, but there are only a couple of roster holes you figure are still being determined (and really, it might not even be that many.)

– I wouldn’t want to have a post without mentioning the quarterback decision. I had one of those crazy thoughts as I was drifting off to sleep last night, a “What if” – as in, “What if coach Ken Whisenhunt decided to announce his QB in the postgame presser after the Denver game?” It won’t happen, I know, but that’d be one heck of a way to do it. Instead, I expect a press conference Friday since final cuts have to be made that day. That makes sense as a time he could do it. (Maybe I’m just wishing and hoping so I get a weekend off.) Either way, the decision is coming, which is good. I’m sure everyone is tired of talking about it. I know I’m ready for it to be over.

– There are three areas where you really wonder if this game will determine some spots. One is reserve offensive line – specifically, whether draft picks Senio Kelemete and/or Nate Potter have shown enough to nudge out a veteran. Another is defensive back, where you have a lot of choices and not a ton of spots. The other is running back, where William Powell gets his shot to play early, and we see if that is enough to unseat Alfonso Smith for a place on the roster.

– Peyton Manning is not expected to play against the Cardinals Thursday night. But the Broncos do have another quarterback that will generate interest, with rookie Brock Osweiler slated to come in after starter Caleb Hanie.

– With Dave Pasch off to be ESPN’s voice for the first game of the rest of Penn State’s life, Paul Calvisi will team with Ron Wolfley for the TV broadcast tomorrow night on ABC 15. It’s like Cardinals Underground, without me.

– The Cards are taking part in a backpack drive again this year, collecting new or gently used backpacks for needy kids. The program benefits the “Hope Endures” organization. Backpacks can be dropped off at UoP Stadium gates before the Broncos game.

OK. I’m off to the annual Kickoff Luncheon with the team. I’ll opine on the roster later. The preseason is almost over.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Wednesday before the Broncos”

1. By Cards4ever on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Now Darren, you know as well As I do that the QB controversy won’t stop even after the starter is named. The leash will be shorter than your patients when being asked about McNab!

If you were Whiz, do you choose Kolb or Skelton?

2. By beardinals on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Not sure if I’m looking forward to the season starting

3. By jskeleton on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I can’t wait to see how Wi’-Po and Alfanzo end up on the roster. Thanks for the update

4. By Will on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

“Bated” breath, Darren, not “baited”. Man, you really need to send me this stuff to edit before you publish it. :) From your friendly neighborhood Grammar Nazi.

Go Cards!!

5. By Cards4ever on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been thinking.. I don’t agree with whiz’s decision to start Lindley and not play Kolb or Skelton. In my opinion Kolb and Skelton should be the only ones playing. Who cares if it’s against the two’s and three’s, I think they need all the reps they can get. Who knows, having success against the two’s and three’s could actually boost their confidence.

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Will –

RE: Bated

I fixed it, but in looking it up, it sounds like the other way is becoming more and more accepted. So there’s that.

7. By brad oneill on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

the thing about grammar is that it isnt football so lets move on.

8. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

One other possible position of decision. OLB Will Cards keep Haggans, Williams, and Groves? It seems one of these three will not make the team.

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Mark in Chandler –

RE: OLB

I would agree. It seems one would be out. Who? I do not know. Struggling with that trying to write my blog post.

10. By Lifetime Fan on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

It’s a blog he is allowed to mistype a word or two…

More importantly,

I usually love what The Whiz does, but in this case I feel he really should have annouced a QB already so that the starter could get some reps with the first team which they obviously need, and also use this past week to get the first string QB ready. I fell like he is wasting a lot of time being so mysterious about it.

Thanks Darren

11. By cardsalltheway on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Cards4ever,
    Bill Belichick would agree with you as the Patriots starters will see significant time, Why? Because they haven’t played so well, especially in their 3rd preseason game. But of course the Cardinals have looked stellar so far so we don’t really need much more preparation.
    “Most teams take it easy during the final preseason game. Starters don’t play at all or they make a one series cameo…”
    “New England’s offense has quietly been out of synch of late, especially on the line. Don’t be surprised if Brady and the boys are some of the few NFL stars getting significant work in the fourth preseason week.”

We’re so lucky our offense has played so well and how “in synch” our OL is aye? We are so well prepared for our first game against Seattle no?

12. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Re: OLB

I am leaning that Haggans will be the odd man out. Haggans is one that they could bring back mid-season return if needed. Williams was steady but not impressive. Groves has talent but I am unsure if he is up to speed on the defense. Not an easy call.

13. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

RE: DB
    To me the most logical to me is CB: Paterson, Guy, Flemming, Toler, Adams. S: Wilson, Rhodes, Johnson, Sanders, Bethel. Hope Gideon can make it to PS.

But what if they go with 9 DB so they can carry another player elsewhere? How committed are they to keeping Gideon? Do they think Bethel could be that 5th corner/ 5th safety hybrid?

14. By Mark in Chandler on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

RE: OL
    7 of 8 are clear to me. Batiste, College, Sendlein, Snyder, Massie, Bridges, and Kelemete. If Orhnberger is cut then they will carry a center on PS. I also think Potter is destined for PS. I think the 8th OL will come from waivers or trade. A Batiste-like vet that could bring some expereince while still capable.

15. By Javier Montoya on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

I was watching NFL Network and I they were saying that Kurt reached out to both Kolb and Skelton and he heard nothing back from either. These 2 have me worried for the franchise and Whiz’s future.

16. By Johnny on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Deuce has the experience, can he come back humble and with something to proove? it may be worth a chance, he would be cheap. as for a QB ? Start and play Kolb or Skelton, the whole game, they get hurt, question answered, they do well, question answered.

17. By buddy the town winner on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Whiz wanted the fifth week to evaluate players but decides not to use it? There is no battle if one guy gets hurt.one bad idea is better than two.kolb needed more snaps because he’s the only hope

18. By Dave Groff on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Honestly, I feel terrible for the ones who can make an impact in the game, or more importantly, “want” to. As Javier mentioned above, i also watched the NFL network part and Kurt Warner did reach out to both QB’s (skelton & kolb) and neither of them responded or showed the desire to take advice from a future HOFer in Kurt. To me, that is saddening for our organization and again I feel sorry for players like Fitzgerald and PP who show their talents day in and day out and have the hunger for success.

Darren, do you see this as a problem?

19. By Rio on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

Fired Wiz now, let the owner go throught the PROCESS.

20. By nodavis2000 on Aug 29, 2012 | Reply

@ cardsalltheway,

That was the dumbest post I’ve ever read. Most teams don’t play their week 1 starters the final preseason game. If you paid attention at all, the Patriots didn’t play their starters. So since the Pats didn’t do it, you gonna take your comments back???

21. By Marcelof on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

com’on guys…

Let’s check Skelton’s historic so far.
    His rookie year he was at the very best a 4th string QB under Leinart, Anderson and Hall, few reps, no consistency and all that rookie thing.

He was just thrown into a couple of games and disappointed no one regarding all the situation.

The following year: !! lockout !! that could have been the time to breed him, to make him a wolfpack leader. Again, he got into the field due to Kolb’s injury. He was not well prepared to that, not enough I believe. And once again he did not disappointed much, playing ok.

2012: He still have rookie conditions, this year, it’s believed he had the preparation necessary to be behind center, he ain’t gonna play his best yet, but let him grow, he has the tools, just needs some amends, those which regular season will provide. He doesn’t suck like Kolb does, that’s why I hope so badly he gets the starting role.

22. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Johnny –

RE: Deuce

Again, Deuce isn’t returning.

23. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Dave –

RE: Advice

I didn’t hear this, don’t know the context or anything. Don’t forget, Kurt is a member of the media now — it wouldn’t be the first time a media member’s phone call wasn’t returned by a player. Plus he has gone on the air basically saying he wasn’t sure those guys will fit, especially Kolb.

24. By buddy the town winner on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Of the qbs made available since we got kolb how many are there and where does kolb rank among them?

25. By William Barry on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

The things I like about Skelton are:

He stands in the pocket. He does not get flustered in the pocket. He has a good throwing arm. He is tall, and can throw the ball down the field, and he goes through his reads ….he just needs to have fun, and play great.!!!!