Fitz’s list of passers

Posted by Darren Urban on August 30, 2012 – 10:40 am

Earlier this week, Larry Fitzgerald — not in some kind of conspiratorial kind of way, but actually very matter of factly — insisted he didn’t have a preference who won the quarterback job between Kevin Kolb and John Skelton. “I’ve played with a million quarterbacks, it seems like,” Fitz said, and two of them are Kolb and Skelton, so he knows exactly what he’s getting into.

UPDATE: Fitzgerald saw this post and clarified his comment via Twitter: “I was referring to all of my years of play starting at 7 years old not just in the NFL to clarify. #birdgang

In fact, Fitz has caught passes from 12 quarterbacks during his first eight seasons in the league. For those wondering, and it seems like there are always some wondering, here is the list.

Name Receptions Yards TDs
Kurt Warner 345 4,583 39
Josh McCown 84 1,207 12
Matt Leinart 70 967 5
John Skelton 63 1,029 6
Derek Anderson 49 629 4
Kevin Kolb 38 658 2
Max Hall 13 141 1
Shaun King 10 129 1
John Navarre 8 97 1
Rich Bartel 7 91 1
Tim Rattay 5 81 0
Brian St. Pierre 1 3 1

It is a far cry from a guy like, say, Reggie Wayne, who has caught 67 of his 73 touchdowns from Peyton Manning and now smoothly will transition into the Andrew Luck era. There is a lot to be said about the guy throwing the ball to help make the great receiver even better. Does Jerry Rice pile up his numbers without Joe Montana and Steve Young? How chicken-or-the-egg does it get?

I’ll say this, Fitzgerald will still be a great player. Someone in the blog comments suggested that the Cards should trade Fitz, in order to let him get the statistics he deserves. Well, Fitz had more than 1,400 yards last season with Kolb and Skelton. It’s not like he’s not being used. And if anything can help either Skelton or Kolb get over the hump at quarterback, wouldn’t it be a great pass catcher to save them once in a while?

Tags:

36 Responses to “Fitz’s list of passers”

1. By kevin tobey on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Keep seeing the bashing of how things are going right now and hope people remember this is preseason their has been no game planning. I see Kolb as our QB just hope he makes it through a season and we can protect.

preseason regular
    2007 0-4 8-8
    2008 2-2 9-7
    2009 0-4 10-6
    2010 3-1 5-11
    2011 2-2 8-8

Just preseason. All I can say is thank you to coach Whiz done a great job for us stand behind you all the way and to the haters must be Obama supporters you know the group of hate which is the left

2. By AB on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Interesting to see that almost every QB has gotten at least 1 TD pass through Fitz, and they’ve all probably kept at least 1 of those balls as a souvenir.

3. By Cards4ever on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

this is football, not politics.

4. By Edjikstra on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

It looks like he gets the most yards per catch from Kolb and Skelton, with Warner not even close.

5. By Dynosoar on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren, dead on regarding our QBs needing Fitzgerald. And as they improve, so will he. Success breeds success and we’ll settle this media “controversy” that doesn’t seem to be a controversy for the team, just the national and nfl media and those listening to them.

Question here, what’s the ratio of run plays vs. pass plays for the pre-season? Even a rough estimate is good. Thanks.

To my fellow Cardinal fans, let’s let it play out (sorry, couldn’t resist a pun) and enjoy a succesful season.

Remember, not only is it pre-season, we’ve also seen limited play from our starters including running backs and defense. Our play calling has not been game planned and has been vanilla. And I agree not to throw the ball a lot to Fitzgerald in pre-season, we don’t want to see an injury (I remember his legs getting caught under him last season against San Fran and my gut convulsed, we were all praying for him.) and we already know what he can do.

It’s all good. Have faith my friends, we’ll do well this year.

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

AB –

RE: Fitz TD passers

With both Bartel and St. Pierre, Fitz knew each of them had never thrown a TD pass in their NFL careers and made sure each got the ball back after they had thrown it to him. That’s the kind of awareness he has.

7. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Dyno –

RE: Run vs pass in preseason

In the first four games, the Cards have 106 run plays, and 164 pass plays, including sacks.

8. By againstthegrain on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

love the first string qb numbers posted by kolb… but it’s hard to post good stats while sitting on the bench injured. hopefully whiz settles the qb bullcrap and gives kevin the starting nod and throws the overpriced boy wonder to the wolves. there will be much angst/entertainment value in watching him dance in the pocket before running for his life. when kolb suffers his first sack/injury at the hands of some monster defensive lineman the cardinal organization will be able to hear the sound of money going down the drain.

9. By Ben on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Hi Kevin,

I resemble your Obama statement…well not the hate part. Lets try and keep the blog about football not politics.

10. By Dynosoar on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren, thanks for the answer. So, 39.25% run plays and 60.75% pass. Wel, it’s pre-season. Will be interesting to see how the run to pass plays are called in regular season. Interesting indeed.

I’m staying up late to watch how Fitgerald and Lindley will connect in tonights game. Go Cards, I want to see ya’ll in New Awleans next February.

11. By alan on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I just want to know who is going to be throwing to him this year!

12. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I think Kolb gets the start. Too much money inversted and the trade of DRC.
    After all, he was considered the franchise QB when we traded for him. He didn’t have a regular practice routine last year because of the lock out. They will give Kolb the chance this year with no excuse. If I blows it, then then will take the loss and use Skelton. I’m hope Kolb can make it happen for his sake, but I want to win more than anything. So if Skelton gets called in to service then I will support him just as well. Like Fitz, I don’t think it matters who the QB is. Just as long as we support him, the team and the staff. No lets focus on Seattle.

13. By Nick Pepe on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I think Fitz’s yards may drop this year, but TD’s will increase. Purely a guess that I will attribute to more experience with QB (regardless of who gets the nod), and emergence of TE(s) and M Flloyd.

Cant wait to see what a healthy backfield will look like with Beanie and Lil Sweet.

Sorry, but cant stay up for tonights game. Regular season is one thing but cant do tonight here on east coast. 0500 hrs comes way to quickly.

Praying all come away healthy, Wi-Po gets a roster spot (sorry Zo, nothing personal), and Sept. 9th gets here fast.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Still…..on desk duty and it bites!!!

14. By Tim on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren -

RE: Fitz TD passers

In addition to the 2 QB’s you mentioned, Max Hall also threw his first NFL TD to Larry playing the Bucs on Halloween 2010. And Larry ran that ball right back to Hall and gave it to him. I agree with you 100% Fitz has such awareness of other players achievements. What a great teammate.

15. By Tim on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Kevin –

I agree with Ben we should keep the political stuff off of here. This is a venue for us to talk about our Angry Birds, not elephants and donkeys… ;)

16. By Ed on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

COLT McCOY BABY!!!!!! After he torches the Bears tonight we should expect a call from Cleveland.Will we work a trade?

17. By Joel on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I think we should start Kolb and we are under-estimating his ability. He has made some bad throws but I think he is a solid quarterback, I believe he can be real good. I also see the offense focusing on the run game much more. Beanie, Williams, Hyphen, Powell baby!

18. By Dean Ford on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Wait, Fitz reads these blogs?
    Does he comment on them also under a pseudonym?

Always wondered who AndyStandsUp was.
    He’s pretty funny but definitely a homer.

19. By clssylssy on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think anybody would want to see Fitz be traded but, there is no question he has contributed to this franchise far more than just his incredible skills as a WR. Despite his being in the top 100, breaking all kinds of records, and considered by Jerry Rice as the best WR in the league, the fact remains that for a WR to get into the HOF, they need at least one SB win. Football, like baseball has changed from the days when players were identified with certain franchises where they played their entire career. Win or lose, I’ll always be a Cards fan; of course winning is always better, bu,t losing can present a challenge and, in a way, teams who struggle to get their seem to have more heart and are less complacent about everything. Fitz deserves to be in the Hall of Fame and I wouldn’t think less of him if he were to leave the Cardinals for a team that gave him the opportunity he deserves…it’s not like he hasn’t tried! He is the consummate elite player, teammate, humanitarian and great role model for our youth. He is a complete class act! Let’s just hope that the Organization is as committed to doing what it takes as Fitz is, and this team can pull it together and once again shock the world!

20. By in fitz we trust on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

just more reinforcement on how fitz is the best WR thats entered the game since 2004

FITZ> both johnsons

the only thing megatron has on fitz is fantasy points, i like living in reality.

21. By azfiremagoo on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Sorry but I really hope we don’t see a single Lindley to Fitz tonight or this season! Absolutely no reason to put Fitz out there. To what increase his timeing with our third stringer? I will agree with previous posters who would put first team O out there for 1-2 series! really could use the work and timing to go into the opener with a little bit of mojo! Pulling for Batiste and Massie to look good and get in synce with the rest of the o-line!

22. By D on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

That list is more of an indication of how poor the front office and coaching staff have failed after Warner. Hopefully you can add a first round draft pick QB to that list next spring…

23. By Chris on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren Hypothetically, you are the Cards head coach. Who is your starting QB? My vote is Kolb, and let him play his style, move him out of the pocket from time to time.

24. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Chris –

RE: QB choice

Hypothetically, if I were head coach, I’d have a better sense of what the locker room and my assistant coaches are thinking. I’d have a better sense of how the plays have broken down — literally — for each quarterback. These are pieces of info that have to go into the mix (and which no one has access to on the outside). If you are asking me as the writer who is looking from the outside, I guess I’d lean toward Skelton. But it’s easy to also make a case for Kolb in this circumstance.

25. By georgiebird on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is a great player and one of the best role models in the NFL. He is a dream for a PR guy.
    All that said- with the status of the Cards QB situation and the lukewarm results from the 3-4 defense, history will show the Cards should have dealt Fitz going back as far as last year. How the Cardinals would have helped themselves with the trade is another matter.

26. By Darren Urban on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

georgie –

RE: Fitz trade

How will history show that exactly?

27. By georgiebird on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren-
    the “reply” button doesn’t seem to work
    re: Fitz trade
    If the Cards are to have 4-5 non-playoff seasons going forward, then a lot of people will question not trading Fitz in 2011 or 2012.
    I don’t see the Cardinals turning this around soon even with Fitz here. Too many bad personnel moves; the obvious ones and also the ones in keeping too many over the hill veterans on the roster.

28. By Mark on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

if the cardinals dont go to the superbowl with fitz after fitz retires they should reward him and give him a ring cuz he deserve’s it i guess the 2008 cardinals too cuz they were cheated out by the ref’s :)

29. By Troy on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Georgiebird

Leave. you are NOt a red bird fan. Teams build around franchise players. What is Fitz? Trade? Why don’t you trade teams.

30. By georgiebird on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

Unfortunate injury to Bartel (he was a longshot, anyway). Watching the game tonight- forgetting money, age, experience, potential- at this time, Rich Bartel is the best QB on this team. If/when he is cut by the Cards, he will be picked up elsewhere.

31. By Nick Pepe on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

@ Troy, nice try, I have been trying to get him to leave for some time now. Now I just laugh at his drivel.

32. By bluepitt on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

D,
    I think you missed a huge point in the list.
    I think that the top 3 kind of get cheeeted because we did have 2 #1′s in Fitz and Boldin and for Warner we had three 1,000yd recivers in one year.
    If you took Boldin away Warner, Josh and Matt would have probably had doubled those numbers. I think that would say a bunch about the top three vs the rest. Maby put a * with Boldin era.. it does say a bunch.

33. By Scott H on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Damn, man, that is one sorry list of names there…take Warner out of that group, and Larry Fitzgerald has been living in WR hell for his entire career. It makes what he has achieved to this point even more remarkable when you see this list.

34. By William Barry on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

@Mark–

I too think the Cards were “cheated” out of a Super Bowl Win. Santonio Holmes, I still believe caught the ball out of bounds. Can another fan confirm this??? please, I think he still had his foot out of bounds.

35. By Nick Pepe on Sep 3, 2012 | Reply

No doubt l, rIght foot didn’t get down

36. By Dave Chm on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren, you should put a like and dislike option for comments!