Skelton is starting quarterback

Posted by Darren Urban on August 31, 2012 – 2:24 pm

Ken Whisenhunt named John Skelton his starting quarterback just now. I’ll have much more in a bit, but there it is. Kevin Kolb is the backup. Whiz wouldn’t get into details, other than to say Skelton gives the Cards the best chance to win. He also said if Skelton doesn’t get the job done, he’ll be replaced, just like any other position. Finally, when asked about looking to add a quarterback from outside, he quipped, “If Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Peyton Manning or one of those guys come available, sure.” So I wouldn’t be holding my breath on another QB coming in.

Whisenhunt mentioned a couple of times that Kolb will have to stay ready and still could play. And he wouldn’t rule out the idea Kolb could play in a game with Skelton, a la Kurt Warner’s cameos with starter Matt Leinart in early 2007.

The Cards didn’t announce any of their roster moves yet. Teams don’t have to have a final list in until 6 p.m. Arizona time. We’ll see if that comes later in the day.

Tags: , ,

87 Responses to “Skelton is starting quarterback”

1. By sackman on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Great news!!! Good job Cardinals. Lets kick some butts!!! Run with it John!!!

2. By in fitz we trust on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

only thing i dont like is he named skelton the “week 1″ starter according to nfl.com, other sources are saying kolb will have a chance to win it back if skelton doesnt perform. i HATE that. i understand both view points of it, but we need to name a starter for the year and let him develop. i can see taking skelton out if hes having a bad game, but the following week, we need skelton back in there at the starting qb position. we need to let one of these guys develop. all in all i like the move.

Kolb is now the highest paid back up in the nfl now, sorry matt flynn.

3. By Travis on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

WOO HOO!!!!!

4. By GMAN on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Could the Cards get Tim Hightower since he was released????

5. By DontTakeLoses on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Whiz has a lot more information than us… but… naming John Skelton is a step backwards. Kolb flashed brilliance in TEN game. Can this have turned on one pick six that resembled Warner’s pick 6 in the SB? Dunno. If Skelton was named because of teammates, then Whiz is hostage forever to that pressure. Sad day in Arizona to quit on Kolb here. Lets go John…but…dang…wow.. sheez…

6. By rdixon50 on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

All right, John. No stupid picks this season. Remember, Fitz will pull the ball down when he’s double (triple) covered. And don’t forget the quick flares to the RBs, and the quick slants to the TEs.

7. By YmmyYames on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Whiz said it best, Skelton does give the Cards the best chance to win. End of story.

8. By frustrated on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Is Kevin Kolb due a large salary next year? I have heard that it may be to the tune of 13 million. I was just curious if you knew?

9. By Fearthetweettweet on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Good, since seahawks dont have a pass rush, itll give Skelton time to sit in the pocket and get the ball to Larry.

10. By reap37 on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Boy did the Cards get had by Philadelphia or what!!!????? $63 million for a back up! What a shame, but I agree with the Whiz that John Skelton gives us the best chance to win, however, I think we’ll draft a real starter next year after we go like 4-12. Should have a QB there at that pick. Good luck John.

11. By conrad on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

About time Skelton is named the starter he is younger and can still learn from offensiveline coach Miller and should be ready for the season.

go Card lets get some wins now starting on Sunday Sept. 9 against Seattle!!!!!!!!

12. By Ryan on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I wanted Kolb to win this but I can’t deny that Skelton has earned it.

13. By chad on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

On the NFL Network on the cut tracker it has CB Crezdon Butler, WR Stephen Williams as the only 2 Card’s cut so fare today…
    I think we might need two neck & neck QB’s this season, with are O-Line issues and all…

14. By Stewart Badly on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

You gave us a hint Darren in the in the 53 man roster article by putting Skelton ahead of Kolb, I think you knew who the QB was going to be, didn’t you Darren? well time to move on, I am surprise about Skelton being the starter because of the money involve in Kolb. Coach Whisenhunt went with the guy that the locker room felt gave them the best chance to win, Skelton should be better this year, I see him with a 60% pass complition because he has improved each year. I’m glad for John he seems a nice guy with his huge smile. GO CARDS

15. By CORMAC on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Congrats SKELTON!!!! He earned it. Perhaps KOLB will become hungry again. He started to lite it up a bit the last game he played.

DARREN, a question. Do you think KOLB would redo his deal next year at a lower rate like Bradely did, IF KOLB plays as a backup all year, or do you think the Cards and he would part ways?

ALSO BREAKING NEWS>>>>> FLOYD hit number one in this weeks top 5 catches!!!!

the link………. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000057000/Preseason-Week-4-Top-5-catches?continuous=true

16. By cdj on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

this is going to be a very long season, i am still hopeful though

17. By cardsalltheway on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I LOVE how Ken W. is SUUUCH a confidence booster and Gregg Rosenthal seems to really understand our head coach very well…
    “Skelton will start the Cardinals’ season opener against the Seattle Seahawks. Whisenhunt said that he could be replaced just like any other starter if he doesn’t perform. (Translation: Eventually, Skelton will be replaced.)
    “There’s no guarantee going forward that Kevin won’t be playing for us or won’t be the starter,” Whisenhunt said.”

18. By Rick on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Great decision John gives us the best chance to win and has more tools then the others to be successful. Great choice!!! Go cards ….

19. By Lixto on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

i didnt think whiz had the guts to make the correct move…. i thought he was gonna pick kolb because of how much they invested, am so glad he choose skelton, i praise whiz with the decision…

20. By cardsalltheway on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Ken W said…”I’m not going to get into the specifics at this point.(as to why Johnny S. was chosen over K. Kolb or gives us a better chance to win)”

Hummm, so when will the point be that Ken W. does decide to get into the “points”? NEVER! He is soooo boring and did you notice how nobody laughed at his opening line/attempt to be funny? Why? Because it ain’t funny and we’re exhausted with the QB situation and the season hasn’t even begun, just ask Darren.

21. By johnnybluenose on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

no doubt this will please some people and displease others and then there are those that don’t care for either quarterback and just sadly shake their heads that we are subpar at football’s most key position. and to make matters worse, a subpar offensive line. we’ll see how this plays out and soon. keeping my fingers crossed and may even be tempted to say a few hail marys.

22. By Dustin on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Lindley!! Lindley!! Lindley!!

23. By in fitz we trust on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

gotta get that skelton jersey now…. on second thought, i might wait till next week just in case lol

24. By Eric Y on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I didn’t expect to be so happy. Get your reps and be the man, Skelly!

25. By Ryan on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

So does this mean that Kolb’s contract will be restructured to fit his new position, as well as Skelton’s?

26. By Tranell on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

@Dareen any chance cards pick up any o-linemen recently cut like T Anthony Davis,T Mario Henderson, C Cody Wallace?

27. By Aaron on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Alright, Here we go. Good choice coach. Not that Wiz cares what I think.
    Now we need tackles to protect him and I think the team will be ok.
    Darren. Do you think those 2 horrible picks Kolb threw in the Titans game sealed his fate with Wizenhunt.

28. By Tranell on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

@ Darren or C Dan Koppen?

29. By Aaron on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

PS. I hope that Skelton gets a valid chance at the job and is not pulled if he struggles. I think John has something special and will be a great quarterback if he just gets the chance.

30. By scubasteve12 on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

wont be long before he throws several picks, completes less than half his passes and is replaced by kolb

31. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

GMan —

RE: Hightower

I don’t expect him back, no.

32. By john the draft guy on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Just heard Whiz on NFL network,

Of course we all know Skelton is the starter. But he said if John isnt performing, he would put in Kolb. They asked how short is his hook? He just said if someone isnt performing they will be replaced.

Oh, are setting up ourselves for rotating qbs? If you replace Skelton with Kolb and Kolb plays poorly, do you go back to Skelton or move on to Lindley?

I’m happy for John, and I know guys need to perform but I’m not liking the way this could shake out. I wish we would release Kolb to take that temptation away and force Whiz to ride one guy this year, then go into the offseason knowing what he needs to do with the position.

33. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Frustrated —

RE: Kolb

I do believe he has a large salary coming. How much I don’t have at my fingertips, but if he is a backup all year, I don’t see him here in 2013.

34. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Tranell —

RE: OL

It’s possible. They are looking at options.

35. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Aaron —

RE: Kolb in Tennessee

I think had Kolb not thrown that pick to open the second half against the Titans and instead had a steady drive, this would have been very interesting.

36. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Aaron —

RE: Kolb in Tennessee

37. By Chris Hughes on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Well Coach you’ve ruined yet another good qb. I am now predicting this to be your last year. This is terrible news especially after being rated so high in my book your first few years. I am not sure why you have a problem with Qb’s I am assuming you just like to have the underdog, hard working, tough guy win the job it doesnt matter whos more talented or the better qb. Basically you look for yourself in a Qb but you were a TE, Qb’s are like pre madonnas and must be treated as such. Me personally I would like to see Dennis Green back in here if you look through our drafts he was the one who collected/drafted all of our SB Players anyways. I honestly think if he stayed in az (if we won that damn bears game he would of) Leinart would have been a totally different qb because he understands how to treat his qbs. Anyways I think you made a terrible decision and you will pay for it with your job at the end of the year…. Thanks Season ticket holder since 06….

38. By john the draft guy on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Dont take losses;

I’ve heard this a few times by posters but it is not accurate.

Warners came when one of the leagues premire pass rushers at OLB, faked the blitz and dropped into coverage. To go with it, Boldin’s split wasnt as wide as it was suppose to be.

On Kolb’s, He stared down the wr in the seem and the middle LB read his eyes and rotated out at stepped in front of the pass.

Very different. Not even close to being the same.

39. By tyman on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Does it really matter kolb or skelton? Neither appears to be an elite NFL QB, so more interesting will be the scheme on offence and who will be cut.

40. By clssylssy on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Wow…a sigh of relief. I do believe that Skelton was the right choice because he is bigger, healthier, more physical and has demonstrated that he is calm under pressure and can deliver. I think we are fortunate to have good depth at the QB position and would feel better if I thought Kolb was more of a team player…I do think he will see playing time and this is kinda reminiscent of the Warner/Leinert season beginning in 2008. Warner had some pretty rocky starts, the fans booed him and wanted Leinert put in but once the team got the timing down and was in synch, there was no more controversy about the QBs. Coach Whiz said all along he would go with whoever gave us the best chance at winning and I think Skelton against the Seahawks is a good way of letting coach off the hook if we don’t win that game. I’ve never seen any flashes of “brillance” from Kolb and if he were to start against the Seahawks he just doesn’t have the size or presence in the pocket to take a big hit…this is a for Coach Whisenhunt. If Skelton wins against the Seahawks, it was the right decision…if we lose, then Coach can put in Kolb and quiet the masses… he gave Skelton the Start to lose. Hopefully, everybody can just pull together as a team now and we will get some 0-Line help off the waiver wire and go on to win. Good luck Cards. Let’s fly high and beat those Seachickens! …and, again, where can I get my Skelton jersey!?:)

41. By Jason on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Nice optimism guys. I hope I’m wrong but Skelton could easily start 0-3. Then Kolb comes in against Miami and St. Louis, and they’re right back in the hunt. Whiz has no more controversy the rest of the way after that. And to the guy who said Seattle has no pass rush ????????? They are going to throw so much at Skelton. That game will be all defense, as Skelton’s only consistency is 3 and outs.

42. By Red cards on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

hope u injoy that kolb jersey

43. By Eric on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Yay mediocrity. Skelton did nothing to earn the job. Terrible choice.

44. By buddy the town winner on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

What a joke. They both suck so start musical chairs game week one. Best way to do it is put the worst guy up first and hope it motivates the other guy when he needs to bail u out at 0-3. Skelton can’t bail you out we saw that last year. Again this whiz kolb crap is to stabilize the franchise season ticket wise post sb43 and pay staduim down- no sudden moves of disgust!.so firing coaches wasn’t going to help the bidwills at all until this year or next. Notice the team won’t finance left tackle or qb again without a change of head coach.still I won’t respect this ill show up at the bar if we are winning in the 4th. I’m not rooting for no skelton at kickoff .that’s bad but that’s how I feel.give me stony case and dave mac and ill feel better!!!

45. By tyler on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

LETS GO SKELTON!!! WE BELIEVE IN YOU.

46. By buddy the town winner on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

If joe montana was here in his prime hed end up in a sloppy 50/50 chance qb battle with skelton. So this reflects on ownership mostly.

47. By KDubADub1324 on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Well, now that this QB thing is over (for now), we can move on to the season. I think a big part of this decision came back to negative plays. It has seemed to me that when Kolb is in there (including last year through now), more things tend to go wrong overall. When Skelton is in there, not so much. I gave Kolb the benefit of the doubt coming in because I thought he would grow better with an offseason, but things haven’t worked out. It’s disappointing if anything, especially considering what the expectations he came in with, the money he was paid, and what was given up to get himi. Oh well, at the end of the day, all that matters is the win column. Gotta support the team no matter who’s out there. While Skelton is not exactly Tom Brady, I do have more confidence in him this year compared to last and agree he’s the better of the two right now. We’ll see how it goes. Go Cards!!

48. By Sir60 on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I think Skelton will do well this year. I believe that his early game problems were the result of trying to find the most open reciever and then settling, too late, on his last read. If he throws quickly to the first slightly open reciever, he should have more success. Maybe the coach should tell him at the start of the game, “John, it’s the fourth quarter and we’re down by six. Go get us a score.”

49. By Chuck 1 on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Skelton, a SIXTH ROUND DRAFT SELECTION is Whiz’ choice to be the STARTING QB for the Cards in the season opener!!!

So be it.

Darren, are there any other sixth round (or undrafted) QBs that are going to be the STARTING QBs for NFL teams this season?

What this demonstrates is that the Graves, Keim and Whiz have made terrible draft and FA decisions regarding QBs in the last several years.

50. By Scott H on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

My guess is that Skelton jersey’s will remain hard to find. Ain’t no way the NFL products store is gonna be making ANY jerseys for a Cardinals QB any time soon. They’d be better off continuing to make Kurt Warner jerseys for the time being.

That said, this was the right choice. The fact is that other players know who should be playing QB because they know who they have more confidence in. And if the coach doesn’t realize that and make the right decision, then there are going to be problems. That is inevitable. If Whiz wanted to be able to look his players in the eye after making this decision, then he HAD to pick Skelton.

And THAT said, I acknowledge that Skelton was hardly a runaway winner in this race. I am glad he is getting a chance to lead this team going into the season. It’s on him now to earn it. Really, he has to earn it NOW because he hasn’t earned it yet. He wasn’t named the starter because he was an obvious winner here. He is the starter because Kolb was just a bit more un-impressive than he was. Sad, but true. So…that’s why I say that NOW is when he truly needs to earn this job. Because it won’t be his for long if he doesn’t.

And if our 0-line is really as bad as they have looked for most of the pre-season, it ain’t gonna matter, anyway.

I have felt good about Skelton since the end of last season and wanted him to get this chance. I’m in his corner and sincerely hope he will end up being a clear cut starter for this team by the end of the season.

If not, I’m glad Lindey is here…

51. By Red cards on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

I wish he would have picked kolb bc the Seahawks are going to be beasts I think they know kolb would get hurt and be out for the season so they put big Jon in bc he can take the hits there throwing him to the wolves but he just might pull this one out but with this oline it’s just not fair

52. By James on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway . I’m EXHAUSTED with all of the negativity coming from these so called “fans” ! That’s what I’m exhausted from .

53. By clssylssy on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

For those disgruntled individuals upset by Coach’s decision…consider that Skelton will be going up against the Seahawks and Patriots to start, followed by the Eagles…talk about trial by fire! Coach Whisenhunt has been with the Cards six years in which time we’ve won two Division Titles and came very close to winning a Superbowl. Denny Green is remembered for his speech following the Cards loss to Chicago…enough said! As Fitz says “FFF…Faith,Focus,Forward”. We have some exciting talent with the possibility of picking up help for the 0-Line.
    TIME FOR THE RED SEA TO RISE UP! GO CARDS!

54. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Good luck John. I will support you and I hope you do well. I preferred Kevin over you. Hell, I preferred Max Hall over you. How did you manager to stay on the team ? Because I am a fan, I will hang in there. But I have to question the coach. Whiz got lucky with Warner. Since then all he manage to do was get rid of Matt for Derek Anderson and two rookie QB’s. That right there told me Whiz’s QB decision were suspect. But at least Whiz is not afraid to try to put a winner on the field. Kolb has not been impressive, but niether has Skelton. If we don’t win this year I would hope the Cardinal fan base would pressure the owners to fire this guy. Every year its been QB this QB that. We give the farm away for a so call franchise QB and Whiz gives up on him. I really hope Skelton can get the job done because all I really want is a winning football team. Be it, Skelton, Kolb, Lindly or Jake the Snake. Don’t really care who the QB is. I just want to win. If we don’t win, then get a coach in hear that can win.

55. By buddy the town winner on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Kevil kolb , aj jefferson are more examples that each day we have whiz each day that guy is on the payroll a young player will fail.

56. By Darren Urban on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1 —

RE: 6th round QBs

Tom Brady.

Oh, and Skelton was a fifth-round pick.

57. By KRed on Aug 31, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren
    Since I wasn’t able to watch Skelton practice at all, was his camp as bad as NFL.com is said it was? His preseason games, I thought he looked pretty solid at QB, well not so bad that deserves all the bashing he is taking. Just a suggestion, If you can make an article about John Skelton’s off season, training camp, preseason I would definitely enjoy reading about it.

Also how does our run game look this year? I have been wishing for a long time since our QB situation is unstable, that we give the ball off to the running backs more. In your opinion how does our run game look this year?

58. By AZcatsNcards (Mike) on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Just who I thought deserved to win and unfortunately making me 100% right about the Kolb trade. I honestly hate it, but I called it! Kolb had Lienart’s same exact stats when we traded for him. Now we lost out on having 2 of the most dynamic and best young cornerbacks in DRC and P times 2 and a 2nd round pick (could’ve been Foles or Cousins). OR DID WE? I talk to DRC all the time and have multiple times about his thoughts on returning to AZ Cardinals, he is open to returning to the cardinals although to be honest it seems less on his brain this year. But there is still a chance as I think he would still return, he loved AZ and loved the place that gave him his first chance.
    Even though I knew Kolb wouldn’t workout, I still ALWAYS wanted him to. It’s too bad we paid him his BONUS just this year, again I was saying to cut him. It’s total garbage. Graves and Whiz better do something and hope it works out soon. This is a huge black eye for those two. More so Graves, which don’t get me started on my Denny Green as GM point. If you’re a regular on here you know I’ve said such things about Kolb even though MOST jumped all over me and you know that I believe ex coach D. Green should be OUR GM! He was in charge of all aspects of Personnel movements and DRAFTED pretty much ALL our CORE players and the TEAM that coach WHIZ took to the SB! Sounds like a winning combo to me!

Darren any thoughts? I know you’ve heard this from me before. Thanks Darren!

59. By johnnybluenose on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

darren and chuck 1 …. don’t forget about undrafted tony romo. he could be this year’s mvp.

60. By Scott H on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Bay Area Bad Boy –

Max Hall? Really, dude? Is he even with a team at this point??? I don’t mean to be ignorant, I realize he may be. But seriously, what has Max Hall done that warrants his name still being in this discussion at all? C’mon, man.

Darren –

Regarding the opener, do we know what the status of Marshawn Lynch will be for that game?

61. By ben on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

the choIce should have been made last year but I understand the delay. kolb started out 1and 6 In the fIrst 7 games last year and skelton, who was Injured In preseason and dIdnt play tIll after the bye week, came out and started wInnIng games. the man has confIdence and I have seen that the lack of confIdence Kolb has makes hIm a bench warmer. keep hIm there cause skelton knows what he has to do and hes goIng to do It. the runnIng game Is huge In any success thIs year. Its show tIme John. show these fans and hatters that you belong and that Nobody Is goIng to take away thIs startIng possItIon that you worked hard for and deserve. I have 2 skelton jerseys and Im wantIng a pro bowl. make It raIn skelton!

62. By clssylssy on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

As fans we all know what we like in a player and as the comments reflect, we have many “armchair quarterbacks”…the Cards are no different than any other team in this respect. However, very few are truely qualified to make the decisions Coach Whisenhunt is called on to make as a professional with years experience in the NFL both as a player and on the other side of the coin, as part of “management”. Mike Florio did a great segment last week in which he pointed out that there were two types of teams in the NFL today; teams that were cold, and focused on winning at any costs, likely to pick up and take a chance on players with skill but questionalble character and those teams who carried about the whole package…genuinely cared about their players and were usually flying under the radar trying to build a more family friend organization and win with clas and integrity. This is a business and our favorite players will most likely not play their entire career in one place. Sports analysts who previously were applauding John Skelton as” the only possible choice, and talking about his ability to stay in the pocket, extend the play, etc, etc. are now predicting he will last just a few games before he’s replaced by Kolb, then Kolb by Lindley. I’ve always been a “Jake the Snake” fan but believe there is a lot to be excited about in this team and as fans we need to support THE TEAM, which means the coaches as well as the players in a cohesive unit.
    This is an interesting link that compares Skelton to another HOFer QB who didn’t look so impressive in his early days either:
    GO CARDS! GOOD LUCK JOHN SKELTON, WM POWELL, LAROD BYRD…WE DO THIS TOGETHER!

63. By louis on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

0 and 16 .this year and then sell the team to china.

64. By john the draft guy on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren and Chuck,

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a 7th rounder, and Romo is undrafted. Matt Cassel also was a 7th rounder, and of course, as Darren pointed out Brady was a 6th rounder.

Another 6th rounder, Hasselback, got beat out, but was close to starting.

With that being said, most teams invest in a high draft pick as the face of the franchise. 27 teams will start either a first or 2nd rounder.

65. By froggie on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

“COACH WIZ” Lets take a look of some of the major “WIz PICKS”
    (1) let Matt Leinart go early then hired Dave Anderson late bummer deal
    (2) let Tim Hightower go for Beany boy Wells who is always injured bummer deal
    (3) brought in Kenvin Cobb who is gun-shy bummer deal
    (4) traded wr Boldin bummer deal
    (5) tried to hire qb Manning then gave Cobb 3 mil to stay bummer deal

what will be next for the “wiz” hopefully he will be traded back to Pittsburgh
    “GO RAIDERS”

66. By KKfan on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

I’m not surprised that Whiz choose Skelton over Kolb. I think that many coaches have a hard time giving up on a player they drafted. And especiially one who has been in their system for a couple of years.

However sometimes that is the wisest decision and sometimes its not! Only time wil tell huh?

I’m quite sure Andy Reid had a hard time giving up on Mike Kafka too, after having drafted him and his being in the Eagles system for the same amount of time (that John has been in this one), to go with the more proficient guy. But he bit the bullet. Made the right choice by going with Edwards . Who clearly played his way onto the team.

Maybe Whiz will be proven right. that he made the right decision in going with Skelton over Kolb. But that remains to be seen…doesn’t it?

Sometimes it’s not the player who is at fault but the system that he finds himself thrust into. Obviously the Cards aren’t willing to allow Kolb to become fully acclimated to this system to become comfortable in it.

And the mindset ( or myth) that having a full off season should have worked wonders to such a degree that he would have out shone a guy who has been in this system and with these coaches and team mates is a dumb way to evaluate someone.

Any real analyst will tell you that it takes a good 5 yrs of STEADY PLAY IN THE SAME SYSTEM to truly know if that person is a franchise quality QB or not! Kolb certainly hasn’t had that with either the Eagles or the Cards.

Kevin must feel like he has been under some kind of curse. He loses his starting job in Philly due to a) concussion b) a lesser but more experienced QB ( Vick) beng chosen over him.

He asks to be traded to have an opportunity to be a starter elsewhere. ( That is the ONLYy reason he was traded). Unlike here, it had nothing to do with his performance. He played well in the opportunities he was given in Phlly.

Here again he gets replaced by a lesser talented QB. I’ve no doubt that about now he must be regretting having asked to be traded. But at the time I guess he thought after having sat behind McNabb for 3 seasons, he didn’t want to have to sit indefinitely behind Vick for another how many. Yet here he is sitting again behind another QB who has not demonstrate to be the better talent. Just a coach and fan and maybe even a team favorite.

67. By Sarah on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

OK it is done and is the right decision, now we need the OL to do their job and individual players to do their role assignments correctly, like RG’s picking up a blitzing linebacker or safety. Skelton has earned this but must not revert back to being erratic and turning the ball over, we need consistency at the position and no early pick 6’s. Skelton needs to own the role and the defence has to do it’s bit, it is a team game and all have to complete their assignments. Like Todd Heap catching passes :).

68. By CardShark on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Prediction: Skelton starts 5 games, Cards go 1 and 4. Kolb Starts game 6 with the team having no confidence in him and they lose most of the remaining games. Whiz gets fired at end of season and we have a high draft pick to get a QB. I like Whiz and think he has been our best head coach in 30+ years. When I first looked at the schedule I thought we would go 9 and 7 give or take a win or 2, now I think we will be lucky to win 6. Here is to hoping that I’m wrong and the defense and special teams can carry us like they did at the end of last year.

69. By YmmyYames on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

buddy the town winner –

RE: Young Players

Buddy, how “young” do you think Kolb is?

70. By Chuck 1 on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Thanks.

My apologies to Skelton for demoting him one round.

So, Skelton (and the Cards) are in outstanding company and we should expect several Super Bowl appearances with him at the controls. LOL

71. By jason marcus on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

I agree this Skelton kid needs to stay in there for better or worse ,watch Skelton highlights on tube it will get you JACKED FOR THE SEASON.

72. By soAZitscrAZy on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

How cany anyone say fire Whiz? The bandwagon fans must have forgot what the team was like before Whiz got here. He has made the defense 10 times better. Look where he came from. They are a defense based team, with a mediocre QB. He’s pretty good SOMETIMES and gets the job done, but isn’t impressive except for his size and poise. Remind you of anyone? The owners knew what they were doing when they got Whiz and now Horton. People need to quit buying into the media hype.

73. By Darren Urban on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

KRed —

RE: Run game

It looks like it can be effective, but again, there is a difference between preseason games and regular season games.

74. By Darren Urban on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

AZcats —

RE: Denny

I think Denny had a nice 2004 draft. I think the drafts he was included in in 2005 and 2006, not as much.

75. By Darren Urban on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Lynch

As of now, Lynch will play.

76. By Scott H on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks. Quite an interesting match-up in week one, wouldn’t ya say? Both teams went hard after FA QB’s during the last 2 off-seasons, both landed what was generally regarded as the best QB available at the time ( Kolb here, Flynn in Seattle ), and now going into week one of this season, both of those guys are back-ups to players making a lot less money than they do!

Perhaps Kolb and Flynn could start a support group…I’m sure Matt Hasselbeck would attend!

77. By cobra on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

clssylssy:

Re: Skelton jerseys. You have been trying to find out where to get them. Try, Ben. He posted just before your last post that he has two, maybe he can tell you where to buy them?

Froggie:

Re: COACH WHIZ and GO RAIDERS. Go back to Oakland and jump in the water. How’s that Raider winning tradition going for Ya? Wasn’t that like 20 years ago? I’m surprised Darren let you post again!

78. By clssylssy on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

@Cobra
    Thanks for the suggestion about the Skelton jersey. They are now available in the NFL Fan Store as a preorder for $120:) Don’t know if they will arrive before the season opener but I have an assortment of others including my old #16 Plummer jersey (I’ll have to take iti out of the display case) :) GO CARDS!

79. By johnnybluenose on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

froggie. don’t recall dave anderson ever playing for us. ditto for anyone named kelvin cobb or anyone named cobb for that matter. kudos though for spelling matty’s name correctly. not everyone can do that.

80. By Rick on Sep 1, 2012 | Reply

This site should be a place where Cardinal fans are able to go to get the latest questions answered by Darren, and/or to unite as fans to support our team. I know that there might be differences of opions, but to be diplayed as constructive, rather than brutal bashing of the team, either at coaches, management, or players. If you have a point, put it in as a well thought of point, or show your support. If you can’t do that, keep it to yourself. Use this site for what it is meant for – Or the other option, jump on the band wagon for another team. GO CARDINALS!

81. By Marcelo on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

Whiz could have made a mistake (picking Kolb), he didn`t…. Great.

Whiz can commit a mistake ( replacing Skelton ), hope he doesn’t….
    we just need to put a QB on board and give him the whole season to grow, get the system, game experience, rotating QB is foolish, we all know that and maybe coach know as well….

Go Skelton, the fans believe you

82. By bluepitt on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

The posts in here crack me up, I keep hearing ” look at Kolbs half of the season and Skeltons second half”
    Dude Give Skelton that same D Kolb had and Skelton would have wound up winning 1 to 2 games. Its funny how people see things. Some see the cup half full, some half empty, and others don’t even see it at all.

@Scott H, I want you to say DA was a better choice than ol Matty! Say it, don’t post anything besides “Anderson was better than Lainart! and Ill shut up, That is what I thought!

I’m not Pleased with John or Kolb as our Choices, Skelton I’m not as upset with because he was a late round pick low $ . Kolb is 100x smarter than skelton that is a fact. But as I said, we will see a dual QB season much like Warner Lainart Whiz is going to try and fit a QB to his scheme and not build a scheme around his QB. If you remember Warner was .500 when he first started for whiz, then whiz let him build our scheme, it was built for a Warner type QB, not a standard Pocket passer.
    The thing is, Kolb did out shine Skelton in camp. Skelton was bailed out by a stellar D last year, I can remember games that Kolb had in the bag and our D “Let them off the hook” Pun intended.
    I read a post in here telling us to look at Skeltons Vids, well I did look at them and 90% of them were luck and happened after the original play broke down and John had to spaz out and just wing it. You might say that is sweet! I say that is not good, do you see P.M, Brady, E.M or Breese having to do this every other play? No, they beat you with their Quick reads and release. Buckle up Red Sea, Here we go again. Whiz is hoping to repeat the Warner-Matt
    saga hoping the starter emerges and the next year we go all the way, problem is we don’t have nutn like Warner even in the Cards Zip Code.

Most say I “Love Matt” that couldn’t be further from the truth, If you look back over all my past posts prior to the DA crap you wont see a single post about Matt good or bad.

I just hated how he was treated, and that our best chance for some decent QB play was booted because of our Head Coaches inability to be able to handle the head strong Star mentality that comes with most Big time players.

SEE: Boldin, Big Ben, Matty (not a proven big timer)…Exception: Fitz very humble.

Whiz wanted Big Ben out in Pitt, But wisent his call it was Chowers, how did that work out for Pitt?

You will find me on Sundays (no longer at my season ticket seats, but at Baja Loco by the stadium) Rooting for our QB Platoon Biting my lip. Blue Pitt Out for Now!!

PS: I hope i’m wrong for the first time, just doesn’t seem likely i’m batting 1,000 as of today.

83. By bluepitt on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

@ Rick,
    I live in America, I will post my feelings good or bad! That is what this “Blog” Not “SITE” is meant for, we don’t live in a “I love you but disagree world” Darren does a fine job of filtering the posts, If you want to hear sweet and nice posts go to the main page and post on the main articles….I like to see heated posts for and against my opinions, it means people care about this team and where its heading! RED SEA KEEP ON POSTING YOUR FEELINGS GOOD OR BAD!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! if you want constructive posts go to the home page and post on the articles in their. There are rules in those comment pages.

84. By bluepitt on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

@ Rick:
    here are the rules in the main stories pages, sounds more your cup of tea!
    Guidelines: Please keep your comments relevant to the topic, not abusive or combatant towards other fans. Foul language will not be tolerated. All opinions are welcome, but let’s keep it civil. The ability to comment is a privilege, not a right.

85. By Eric Hutchins on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

This may be the worst decision since hiring Denny Green, I am sad to be a Cardinal Fan. Skelton was so clearly not the right choice to me. I love Whiz, and what he has done for this team overall, and want to trust him but I think his ego gets in the way too often.Kolb should have gotten 2 solid years minimum before any of this BS. Our defense was horrendous at the beginning of last season, he gets hurt, and from then on he has zero support from the coaches.
    I was so excited when we picked him up, I thought we had our QB for the next eight years. Now we have destroyed his confidence, and a journeyman back up as the starter.
    Gonna be another long season.

86. By Kevin S on Sep 2, 2012 | Reply

Article on Pro Football Weekly basically suggests what many of us were thinking is true — that Kolb lost the starting job on one pass, the INT to start the 2nd half against Tennessee. Quoting an “insider” (whatever that means) : “He had just led them to a TD in the two-minute offense at the end of the first half, and all I think he really had to do was to be just efficient on the first second-half possession to win the starting job,” the insider said. “Instead, his first pass (which was returned for a TD) had to be one of the ugliest that anybody had ever seen.”

Same insider also suggests that Kolb definitely outplayed Skelton in practice, so that probably explains why the competition was closer even though many fans thought Skelton clearly was ahead based on the preseason games. “There were some throws from him [Skelton] where you couldn’t even tell if he was underthrowing or overthrowing,” the insider said. “Kolb was a lot more consistent.”

If in fact it was so close that a single pass doomed Kolb, I’m even more surprised they didn’t let both guys have another shot in the final preseason game. Yeah, most teams rest starters to avoid injuries, but we’re talking about a near toss-up at the most important position on the team. Heck, even Eli Manning threw 8 passes in NYG’s finale.

2. Sep 1, 2012: Skelton is starting quarterback – AZCardinals.com (blog)