Skelton and Fitz’s speed sensitivity

Posted by Darren Urban on September 5, 2012 – 9:30 am

John Skelton, newly crowned starting NFL quarterback — remember, it’s really the first time for him, since technically all his starts last year came only because of Kevin Kolb’s injuries — now is making the national media rounds, which included a phone stint on Dan Patrick’s radio show this morning (h/t to Mark Dalton on the photo below.) Eventually, the conversation came around to Larry Fitzgerald.

Skelton propped his Pro Bowler — “He’s the type of receiver that redefines what open is” — but the quarterback also had some fun with his teammate.

“The one thing they told me when I was first drafted was when I was throwing to Larry, one, don’t overthrow it, because he’s kind of sensitive about his speed,” Skelton said. “And two, he’ll go up and get it no matter what.”

It obviously drew a laugh out of Patrick, who wanted clarification. “He’s not the fastest guy on the field,” Skelton said. “He runs the best routes he gets open all the time, but he’s a little sensitive about it.”

All in good fun. Fitz heard about it and good-naturedly responded via Twitter: “haha @johnskelton19 took a cheap shot at me this morning on radio? I’m going 2 race him after practice 2day 4 a game check. Lol”

I don’t know if I’d call him sensitive, but Fitz definitely doesn’t want to be seen as a slowpoke. I remember doing a story back in the offseason of 2009 recounting his magical postseason performances through the Super Bowl. I brought up the 64-yard touchdown that briefly gave the Cards the lead against the Steelers when Fitz grabbed the catch and sprinted for a touchdown that looked to be a storybook ending, mentioning that it was surprising. He didn’t think so.

“People don’t think I can run,” Fitzgerald said then. “You think of all the catches in my career, I am always catching contested, where I am jumping up and trying to out-leverage somebody for the ball. But if I can catch the ball running — hey, I ran a 4.44 coming out of college. I can go when I need to go.”

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “Skelton and Fitz’s speed sensitivity”

1. By Dynosoar on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Please post video of the race.

Looking forward to many, many more of those sprinting touchdowns, from a few recievers, running backs and tight ends this year.

Sorry Seattle may lose Lynch, here’s hoping to a speedy recovery for week 2.

PS. Darren, I loved the “I can’t think of anything much more meaningless than an NFL Power Ranking.” I still think you’d give a more accurate assessment than others out there. But hey, isn’t that really what a win-loss record is for?

2. By Dynosoar on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

for those of us who are unavailable to watch tonights game (I might’ve recorded with other teams, but my Cardinal fandom goes to the days when these two regularly beat up on us. Well, so did a lot of teams, but they did it twice each season.) will you post a picture of the winning flag represeting our team.

Perhaps even a story or blog including an interview with the flags designer. I don’t know if this is possible, but it would be cool.

Thanks.

3. By NBOS on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Would also like a follow up or video of the race and game check….ha ha, great response fitz!

4. By Sarah on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Yo Dan, reciever is receiver ( see above ). You are a pro type like one :).

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Sally –

Thanks.

6. By MIKE G on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well–Looking forward to the season. Hopefully Skelton and Fitz will develop some nice chemistry throughout the year. Interested to see what the game-plan will be against Seattle given our 2 new tackles. I like the roster good blend of young and veteran players. Hey Darren–what is your opinion on these replacement refs??? II hope they can hold their own given the speed of these games!! They don’t breed confidence-they could cost sleepless nights for some of these coaches!!!

7. By Nick Pepe on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Don’t ever lose the wit !!! Too funny.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Spell check user. Sumtimes

8. By Eric Y on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I was surprised when Fitz ran right right through the entire backfield. I thought it was going to be a big play not one of the biggest plays in Arizona Cardinal history. He hit the switch and torched those guys. I think it’s fair to say it was needed. By far, my most emotional I have ever been watching football (Boldin’s injury aside). Hurts to think about.

9. By azgrays on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Ahahaha. Sally/Sarah thought she had you nailed, but you flipped it back on her. That’s funny. Well played Mr. Urban, well played.

10. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Mike G –

RE: Replacement refs

They are who they are. Not the same regular refs, and that will mean a change of some sort, I’d guess.

11. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I don’t see Kolb making the same “speed” statement and it being taken as a lighthearted stab.

Maybe just me.

12. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Also, is Skelton revealing too much, IYO, when he talks about giving the tackles more help and changing snap counts and cadence for the upcoming game?
    It seems common sense considering the state of the OL, but to put that out as public knowledge seems a tad counterproductive, unless viewed as a rue.

13. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

*ruse*.
    Never posted 3 times in a row before.

What’d I win?

14. By Dynosoar on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

I like the replacement refs. At leat if they blow a call like giving a QB named after a London landmark whom I shall not name a touchdown, when he’s clearly on the ground a half foot away, they’ll have a valid excuse.

I can finally watch some games without wearing my tin-foil hat. This is great, a season (hopefully) that won’t be decided before the games.

I like that they seem content, for the most part, to let the players play without interference.

15. By cobra on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Re: Refs,

I believe you really wanted to say, “THEY WERE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE’

16. By johnnybluenose on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

i can’t tell from the picture but it looks to me like skelton may have ditched his beard or at least cut it back. i hope so. his was not much of a beard, in my opinion. maybe the new look, if it is one, will translate into improved play. we can only hope.

17. By watson tom on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

AndyStandsUp, anyone who knows anything about football knows that the statement you made is foolish. Any one we play knows the tricks to helping a OL in trouble. Chipping with backs, and changing counts, and going unbalanced or two tight it’s common knowledge nothing given away…

18. By William Barry on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Skelton is our Man, —big, strong, stays in the pocket, and I hope the chemistry is great w/Larry and the rest of our WR’s…. now let’s hope the ref’s don’t lose a game for us. GO CARDS!!!!!!!!

19. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

@ watson tom
    I said it was common sense to do that when your OL is scrambled, but to proclaim it just seems like Skleton calling out at the line of scrimmage ” Brown out! Bridges out! Batsiste and Massie first game for us! BTW, Snyder has elbow injury and King will be in motion while I do a shrill ‘hut” and the ball will be hiked at second ‘hut’!”.
    I realize it the sane thing to do but why announce it?

And I fully expect the first play to be a deep bomb to Fitz.

20. By cobra on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

watson tom & andystandsup:

At this point, it might not be a bad idea to throw in a wrinkle in the offense. Some old Wishbone, Willdcat or Triple option. Skelton is the QB week one. He could do some damage running the ball. If you have to run, have a plan. Most defenses these days would not know what to do if you show run first and throw out of a triple option offense. Show it first, use it often when needed. Pound the ball at their defense.

The passing game will open up. We are built to run, take advantage. This is why Skelton is starting.

21. By cobra on Sep 5, 2012 | Reply

Andyfell down & Watson:

First off, decide who is the most ignorant of you two. You both can start the discussion now! If you can’t decide, cardsalltheway can help! Oh, and a few your AKAs. You are idiots and ruin the blog with your DAss comments and analogies.

22. By cobra on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

watson tom: my apology, I did not mean to include you in the previous comment with Andyfelldown!

23. By bluepitt on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Sally…hahahahahaha to funny!!!!!!!!!!!

BluePitt
    Member only when we are winning…
    Spell check user 1/4th the time,,,

24. By cardsalltheway on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Dan Patrick said after speaking with Johnny S…”How do you have an OL with guys inserted at OT that haven’t ever played before? Did you look at your check-list and all of a sudden go…Oh dang we forgot about OT’s…Oh that’s what we’re missing…those good ole OT’s, I knew we had a ‘To Do’ list(forgot something).”

That was in response to one of his sidekicks called ‘McLovin’ who said…”J. Skelton will get clobbered in the 1st quarter at which time K. Kolb will come into the game and also get clobbered, followed by the rookie Lindley.”

Cobra,
    “Oh, and a few your AKAs. You are idiots and ruin the blog with your DAss comments and analogies.”

Are you feeling so low that you feel a need to call other fans names in order to build yourself up? Are you growing yet?

25. By Nick Pepe on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

@Cobra : some of their drivel is actually quite comical.

@bluepitt, welcome to 2012 and I got a kick out of your “signature”

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Stilllllll on desk duty !!!!

26. By cardsalltheway on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah and one more thing a sidekick of Dan Patrick’s said…”Haven’t they(Cards decision makers) seen the movie ‘Blindside’ ?”

We are golden ~ a true laughing stock. I’ll be waiting for a miracle to happen on our OL.

27. By Mike in Mesa on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

Wow. For all you naysayers on here, we haven’t even seen a regular season game and you know it all. I take it you have all done genealogical searches of your family trees and found out you are all related to Kreskin or Nostradamus? Or maybe Carnac the Magnificent. He was my favorite. I actually think there is hope this year. Skelton has improved every year. He went 6-2 last year with a weak OL. The run game should improve. The defense looks as deep as I’ve ever seen it. Receiving corps is also as deep as anyone in the league in my opinion. If the o-line can give Skelton any kind of time good things are going to happen.

28. By Nick Pepe on Sep 6, 2012 | Reply

I like the way Mike in Mesa thinks.

@Cardsalltheway, Do you have a big black cloud that follows you wherever you go? I looked up pesimism and, sure enough, there was your picture….

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

29. By AzDesertRat1953 on Sep 7, 2012 | Reply

You guys are to Funny, with all this Fan/Keyboard fighting. Do all of you sit in the same section at the home games? Just wondering.

GO CARDS!!!

30. By Eazy E on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

I don’t blame Larry, I ain’t know snail, I can burn.