Seahawks aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 9, 2012 – 8:33 pm

As well as the defense played – and make no mistake, the Cards would have been in huge trouble if the defense didn’t play the way it did – the way Kevin Kolb played when he came in in the fourth quarter was clearly the story Sunday. He airmailed his first throw well over Fitz’s head in a toss that looked like every ounce of adrenaline being pumped into one pass. But after that he was sharp, everything the Cards hoped he’d be. And that was his lone drive, save for his lone kneeldown at the end. He felt like the equivalent of a comic or rapper who just had the perfect finish, and then dropped the mic and walked off stage.

Kolb certainly didn’t act that way after – “To win a game in that fashion, the way the preseason went, I’ll definitely enjoy this evening,” Kolb said – you know he has to be feeling pretty good inside. The guy is human. Any one of us criticized to the level that he’s been criticized, redemption is always sweeter.

Of course, that’ll last a week, and he’ll start in New England, a brutal test, and he’ll have to put up or shut up again. But that’s in a week. Right now, it’s good.

– Everyone wondering about the relationship between Kolb and John Skelton, people talking about Kolb blowing off Skelton when he came off the field hurt in the Hall of Fame game or Skelton somehow acting happy when Kolb made mistakes in Tennessee are just foolish. When Skelton got hurt, it was Kolb on the field crouched down with the doctors, talking to him at that moment. Again, both guys desperately want to be the starter. But it isn’t personal, it’s why Kolb was never going to be a problem as a backup, and why there was genuine happiness for Kolb’s success in the locker room afterward.

– Skelton’s ankle sprain means he’ll be down a little while, I’d think. Ryan Lindley becomes the backup in that case. You’d think they’d sign someone. It can’t be Rich Bartel – since Bartel was put on IR before being released on an injury settlement, he can’t sign with the Cards for six weeks (at least, that’s what he tweeted.)

– Kolb will need the running game. The Seattle defense is good, but for Beanie and Ryan Williams to combine for 23 yards on 15 carries? Ouch. Wide receiver Andre Roberts was the Cards’ leading rusher with his lone end-around for 15 yards. LaRod Stephens-Howling even vultured the lone touchdown with his one-yard run on third down.

– The run game is what made coach Ken Whisenhunt’s answer to a good day from the pass protection – one sack despite the fears of two new tackles – tempered. “They brought a lot of pressure today, and we didn’t run the ball good enough, so how can you judge a line?” Whisenhunt said. “Based on protection? In that they did well. We didn’t run the ball very well. We have to get that fixed.”

– It’ll be interesting to see how bad the shoulder injury is to Jamell Fleming, but Michael Adams had a very, very good game in his place. He had three tackles and three passes defensed, including a pair of impressive breakups on that final drive. “Like any other day’s work,” said Adams, who probably wouldn’t have played much other than special teams if Fleming hadn’t gotten hurt. “When your number is called, you go out and make plays. Today I was able to make plays. I’m living for today. I don’t know if I’ll see tomorrow.”

– The timeout fiasco wasn’t good. The officials admitted later they basically gave Seattle four timeouts. Here’s an explanation from a guy who knows his stuff. I fall in the it-is-what-it-is camp.

– Two sacks for Paris Lenon, his career high (and he’s below, belting Seahawks QB Russell Wilson). “I just played within the scheme,” he said. He had a very good game and showed why he is such an important cog. Daryl Washington had a very good game too, and Reggie Walker got a ton of playing time – while Stewart Bradley was relegated to special teams.

– Calais Campbell with yet another blocked field goal, after three last year. Huge Sunday, since without the block, the Seahawks are down just one late and easily kick a field goal to win (unless, of course, Campbell would have blocked that one – which is always possible.)

– Tight end Todd Heap came up huge in the winning drive, with two big catches. Larry Fitzgerald didn’t have a gigantic game, but Kolb found him twice on that drive too. Obviously the Cards want him to get the ball more often, although they were so bad in the third quarter, there were hardly any snaps.

– After Adrian Wilson’s interception, he gave the ball to Patrick Peterson for a return attempt at the end of the first half. It was a far cry from in Seattle last year, when Peterson made a pick at the end of the half and Wilson implored him to get down and not risk a fumble. Wilson seemed to have forgotten that. “I know my role, and my role isn’t a runner with the ball,” Wilson deadpanned.

That’s it for tonight. It was a grind for the Cards, but they won, and it’ll make for a much better week than the alternative.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

76 Responses to “Seahawks aftermath”

1. By reap37 on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

I won’t recover my voice for a week. Never screamed so loud in my life. If you take away the 3rd quarter and Ryan catches the shovel pass from Big John, the Cards would have won more convincingly. This team has character and they’ll need all of it next week. Feel bad for Skelton and good for Kolb. One never knows.

2. By scubasteve12 on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

I have to disagree with the day off after a win. They face a very good team next week. They are going to need everyday of practice and study they can get.

3. By georgiebird on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

You summarized the game perfectly- “it was a grind……but they won…….”. So much to digest from this game. The loss of Skelton for a month or two will huge going forward.
    Here’s what I took away from the game:
    1) Not a fan of Kolb but I was very happy for him, today. He showed character, talent and maturity- good for him and the team.
    2) The defensive front seven showed an explosion not seen by me in the past. Hope they are not selling out to get to the QB but the athleticism and speed was impressive.
    3) Hope PP is not turning into another DRC as a cb. He was fortunate today but he is being picked on.
    4) Thought the OL did a good job today. Grimm is a good coach- but the running game won’t work until opponents respect our deep passing game- in large part, we still need the emergence of a deep threat guy.
    Very curious, now, to see how the Cards compete against the Pats in the followup game to the worst game in Cardinal history from 2008.

4. By card62 on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren and Cardinal Fans

A win is a win in the NFL and you take them anyway you can get them.

Our coverage teams are having a lot of problems. Can we have an interview with special teams coach to know what his plans are to improve this part of our game. I like Jay Feely, but it would be nice if we had a kicker who could kick it out of the endzone.

I did not hear much about DD, but I thought he had a nice game. What are others thinking? I was surprised S. Bradley only played special teams after his preseason.

I do hope Kolb enjoys his week and I am happy for him and that great drive. Like I have said in earlier posts with our OL and OC I am not expecting much from our QBs and offense. I hope I am wrong, but I think this season is all on our defense and special teams, and our coverage teams did their best to cost us this game.

Defense, Ray Horton, and Kevin Kolb get my game balls for today. I hope our CBs get healthy soon, Toler and Fleming.

Go Cards

5. By voncurry8 on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, Would you by chance know how far up the list Calais Campbell is on all time blocked field goals? They way he is going on blocking FGs I wonder if he could retire as the all time leader in that category?

6. By Chuck on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Kolb pulled his head out! Its time to be the QB we paid him to be!

7. By Jason Zumwalt on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

I’m finding it difficult to understand the sudden show of love for Kolb. I get it. We won. What I don’t get is why he’s the automatic starter next weekend. We’ve seen what happens to Kolb when a team game plans for him. His skills are nothing special against the Patriots.

Now, Skelton’s 3rd quarter was rough, but his young tackles gave him zero time to do anything. Seattle was picking so hard on D’Anthony Batiste I thought the Refs were going to throw a Flag for excessive “bullying”. Also, it’s ironic to me that the only third down John converted was on the play he hurt his ankle. Roberts caught it for 17 yards. First down. If Skelton had not been hurt, would Kolb still have come in? NO. He would not have.

Obviously if John can’t play that’s one thing, but this feels like a slippery slope to me. I’m not saying Skelton is Roethlisburger but if Big Ben hurt his ankle, he’d still be considered the starting QB the weekend after or at least until he proved he couldn’t perform his duties.

I don’t know. I’m done.

8. By Andy on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

Sign Garrard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. By T. Stone on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

RE: Darren

“LaRod Stephens-Howling even vultured the lone touchdown with his one-yard run on third down”

That is insulting to LaRod Stephens-Howling. Who exactly did he Vulture it from? By that term you must mean taken away without earning it. Beanie didn’t run it down to the 1 yard line and then get taken out. Well’s carried 4 times on that drive and gained 1 yard on each, maybe 2 on the second run for a total of 5 yards in 4 carries. Did Stephens-Howling vulture it away from the receivers? Definitely not from our running backs.

The Running Game was atrocious all the way around.

Tim

10. By jmh1982 on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

I was very impressed with the pass protection in this game and I honestly can’t remember the last time the Cards looked even decent in pass protection. As for the added pressure in the second half, I think that had a lot to do with the Seattle defense sending more pass rushers and Skelton not recognizing it in pre-snap reads.

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

Voncurry –

RE: blocks

I’d have to look that up.

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

Jason –

RE: Kolb starting

Skelton, barring something crazy, is going to miss at least a game or two. That’s why people are talking Kolb.

13. By Vivek on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

Thrilling game at the end! It seems those refs were really hard on PP and Gay on that last drive? Steeler CBs were making similar moves against Broncos but they weren’t whistled! Kolb seems to be very comfy with the hurry-up offense (he did well with that in the preseason game too against the titans?). How difficult is it to sustain such an offensive style for an entire game?

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

TStone –

RE: vulture

It’s just a fantasy football term. Settle down.

15. By Hasselhoff on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

Good write up of the game Darren. It’s pretty spot on.
    Where did this Kolb come from? All the reports I’ve heard were not good but he tore up the Hawks on that last drive.. Good tough win for the Cards. You made the rookie QB (RW) look like a rookie most of the time. I’m a Hawk fan (not from PHX) and decided to come here and check out your guys’ take on the game.. I know I’ll probably catch a lot of crap coming here and posting but good game anyways.. See you in Seattle..

16. By zbot on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

heck. a wins a win. my heart may just go ahead an seize up on me by seasons end, but i survived the second half of last season so maybe not.
    kind of felt that the D was being disrespected in article after article during the week. as if there was no way they could stop a 5′ 8″ (same height as me, by the way) rookie quarterback from having his way with them. they probably wont get any votes of confidence this week either, considering who the next opponent is. i should be asleep right now.

go cards!

17. By bluepitt on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

@Jason Zumwalt,
    Dude? I don’t know where you are watching from, but Kolb has proven he will carve you up in the pocket if given time, Skelton is the better choice with a bad O line. All I got out of Skeltons play was he is not very accurate…well at all.
    He hung players out to dry on several passes, passing to high, then to low.. He did hit heap in the #’s but that was it. I thought he had tons of time and that was what killed us, he had to think and not just react under pressure. Kolb is the thinking QB in our stable, he showed great reads and didn’t stare down any receivers as what his resume stated when we got him. Don’t get me wrong Skelton is a decent QB but you get what you get, he isn’t polished, Kolb has more Polish on him. If our O line gives the same protection the gave today then Kolb is my choice, if they start breaking down then I go with Skelton.. And in all of my years I have never watched a high ankle sprain let a player be on the field the next game (at QB) where reps and snaps are curtail, No don’t site Big Ben, he is the greatest pretender of all time!!! And he is the seeded starter not a young QB with little Exp like John!!!

Ben knows his O better than the head coach does!

18. By cardsalltheway on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

“The Seattle defense is good, but for Beanie and Ryan Williams to combine for 23 yards on 15 carries? Ouch.”

William Powell should’ve played. Beanie even said it himself…”I don’t have my legs under me yet.” And of course Ryan Williams didn’t do much in preseason either. Who in their right mind thinks either one of them was game ready?

Sickening how William Powell didn’t even get in the game. Reminds me of how some guys are ready to play(in shape) or pitch and start the first game of the baseball season and some guys simply aren’t. Why coaches play the players who aren’t ready as opposed to the players that are is dumbfounding.

19. By brad oneill on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

Voncurry- most blocked kicks is ted Hendricks with 25 -that counts field goals, PATS, and Punts. from wikipedia under miscellaneous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_records_%28individual%29

20. By Ross on Sep 9, 2012 | Reply

The Cardinals no longer have a defense…. they have a deWALL!!

21. By FanSinceJamesHart on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

I was impressed with Kolb, but remember- he has always shown flashes just like that.
    Remember the Cowboys game and Panthers game last year?
    John may have had a bad 3rd quarter but he played a great game and in my opinion showed quite a bit.
    Also, the whole offense had a bad third quarter (yes even play calling in my view) not just him.
    Would have liked to have seen him play the whole game of course, the injury was bad luck and he had a nice completion, glad to see it was only a strain and I wish him well.
    I wouldn’t talk about redemption if I were you Daren, sure a win is nice, but he won a complete of games last year; we know how well that went as a whole.
    His flashes always seem to fade away into an abyss of confusion and poor choices.
    I certainly hope he can sustain this, believe me as a fan it would be great.
    However until he proves it beyond one game; wait scratch that, one drive.
    I’d leave words like redemption in the thesaurus.
    He was the hero of the day for sure, but Mike Adams has to be in the conversation as well.
    Huge fan of yours Daren and keep up the great work. I’m just saying Kolb has redeemed nothing until he can sustain this.
    Playing well and even winning in New England, I’ll see your redemption and raise you the future starter.

22. By rojobird on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

CARDINALS CONGRATS ON THE WIN!!!:) :) Wish we could have had a better running game but hey its just the first game right there’s plenty of time to fix that “right”…. Darren do you believe that RYAN and BEANIE are second guessing on what they can do post injury? Are they having confidence issues? Do you believe based on the poor production from the starting RB’s they might play LaRod or Powell more?

23. By AB on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

T. Stone,

I’m sure he meant vultured it from the defense. Nobody was probably expecting LaRod to run it in, when the defense is so focused on Wells, Williams, Fitz, and others.

Also, LaRod is on a contract year, and the team wants him as the next person to sign long-term., so I’m sure LaRod wants to prove again that he deserves that extension.

They ultimately got the win and that’s all that matters. Winning makes everyone happy. No one should be angry on this blog.

24. By AB on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

T. Stone,

Of course the running game looked atrocious. You have two backs coming off knee injuries, and two inexperienced tackles on the offensive line.

25. By John C on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

WHERE is the running game????? Why does this coach constantly call plays to run Williams up the middle? Doesn’t work coach try something else. He is too small for that. I bet Whiz’s attitude is, well blockers have to do their jobs and block. So even though its not working just keep doing it over and over because you’re mad if other people aren’t doing their job? I hate how this team can’t adapt its play calling accordingly. And if Beanie is only going to be 100% like 5% of the time get rid of him. He can be a beast when he’s all there but he’s hurt wayyy too much and doesn’t seem to be the game mentally all the time All pre-season he kept saying he would be ready. So much for that. This team won’t do anything with no running game no matter who is at QB and is by farrrr the biggest issue they have.

And one more thing while I’m ranting. Why is it, out of all the games I watch, the Cardinals are the only team that ALWAYS calls pass plays that are short of the 1st down line? Even the one announcer called it out this time. If it’s like 3rd and 12 the Cards will throw a short pass play about 2 yards short of that . Is the attitude well you gotta fight for the extra yardage? DOESN’T WORK most of the time so set up routes that go beyond the first down line. Every other team does. Ughhh.

26. By Brett on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Brilliant!! Another washed up qb.

27. By Christo on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

The real question is, if Kolb plays well, and by while I mean better than Skelton’s 50% and 2 INT per game average; does Whis have the cahonas to change course?

28. By clssylssy on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

People always talk like the “backup” is unimportant which is just plain ignorant! Look at the Colts last year and look at the Cards. We had a good backup who helped pull us out of a pretty deep hole which is why I was so happy we had good depth here throughout this entire “Starting QB” drama. With our schedule, even the experts felt that whoever was named was headed for the injury list within the first three games. Too bad we let Bartel go as he knows the system and has been a consistent backup and team player. Yesterday was a horrible day around the league with many upsets and we were lucky to pull out the win, given the replacement officials ignorance of the rules and strength. Our defense looked awesome at the end of the game and hopefully will get momentum and confidence from this first game…we have the capability to have one of the best defenses in the NFL. I especially liked that Wilson got to do the pressor after the game. Hope we get the regular refs back soon and that both Mchael Bidwell and Coach Whisenhunt will be very vocal about supporting them and quit backing Roger Goodell’s holdout. As far as I’ve seen the CBA sucks for the “player safety” with less padded practices, for the defense, less time practicing correct blocks and tackles. Hope John Skelton is healthy soon, what a sad day for him…it wasn’t exactly a pretty win but a win is a win nevertjheless. Gonna have to get better before our next league game…the Rams just barely lost and are looking VERY good this year. Gotta win ‘em one game at a time. GO CARDS! GOOD JOB!

29. By johnnybluenose on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

people talk about skelton being unflappable and never getting too excited. they talk about this as being a good thing and, if memory serves me right, one of the broadcasters brought this up when skelton was smiling after he threw his shovel pass over ryan williams’ head. i for one don’t want my quarterback smiling when that happens. not early in what figures to be a close game. i want him to be pissed off. i would not expect brady, brees or either manning to be smiling. it’s fine to remain calm but sometimes a bit of animation is called for. marshawn lynch once again showed that he is the hardest running back to tackle. if we had him we would have a running game for sure. i figured seattle would go after michael adams late in the game. adams stepped up. good for him. i don’t know about a redemption game in new england next week. it could be ugly but at least it won’t be snowing like it was in 2008.

30. By KKFan on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Unlike many fans I don’t take great satisfaction from a player getting injured, as many seemed to do (when Kolb went down last year) from Johns injury. I hope the ankle injury just turns out to be a minor sprain. And not one of those high ankle sprains that can linger and hamper a guys ability to perform. Hurry back John!

As for Kevin, I’m happy that he was able to silence his critics. If for only the moment. Which I’m sure will last for just that long!

It isn’t easy to have to come in and perform for a fan base that has shown nothing but CONTEMPT for you from the start. Who have chewed you up and spit you out with brual accusations. As you mentioned, he too is human . Has feelings just like the rest of us. So thanks Darren for pointing that out, and I commend his team mates who gave Kevin props for his performance. That had to feel good, after the magnetude of critiicsm he has endured. Continued success Kevin for however long you get to play. I’m always in your corner.

Finally to Whiz for finding the best way to utilize Kevins strengths .He came from a spead offense in collage ( as many collage teams are) and played mostly out of the shot gun. If Whiz continues to use Kevin in that manner, he and this fan base will find that he can be a very solid QB and win games for you.

When will this game be reaired on the NFL network? I don’t live in the area so I can’t get the games unless they are a nationally televised game.

31. By Havasu Tom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Did you see the way Rob Housler ran down the kick returner. The guy has rocket packs in his motor. Skelton, get health soon, we need you. Kolb, great drive, way to run the no huddle west coast Arizona style offense. We need you also.

Darren, how long does it take to fully recover from a high angle sprain?
    Thanks so much, Tom

32. By Derrick Haskan on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey we won and try to correct the mistakes that they have made in the game then go forward let’s do this together GO CARDINALS!!! Congratulations

33. By Hammy on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Great team win took every player we had no matter how ugly it was. Kiln was very accurate and stood poise in the pocket. Also had a very quick release. Looked very calm in the pocket. Defense was beast and these guys are fast like a bat out of hell.I’m excited to play New England. I believe we have a good chance to win this game.

34. By red c rider on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

oooooh snap! Darren dropping the hip hop metaphor!

I was shocked to see the oline providing better pass protection than run blocking, but that might just be more a testament to the Sea rodent defense than our run blocking.

Skelton couldn’t get it done in the red zone a couple times during the first half and I can’t explain what happened in the second either. Although one could again cite the Seattle defense, Kolb was able to step in and get the chains moving once again. Maybe Seattle’s defense got to Skelton.

ON TO NEW ENGLAND!!! GO RED SEA!!!

35. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

First off, Kolb played great and everyone needs to get off his back. He has shown he can move this team in an uptempo offense and score points. Skelton was our starter and now he is hurt. Why can’t fans get behind Kolb like they did Skelton last year. I don’t understand this infatuation with Skton, because my infatuation is with the Cardinals. And it always will be. To be honest, the one thing I will say about Kolb vs Skelton is that I do think Kolb is better at running the no huddle, if Skelton doesn’t get hurt (and I hope it isn’t too serious) I don’t think we win that game. Simply based on the way he played the entire second half 5 three-and-outs and 1 interception deep in our territory to set up a tie game. It was a shame to me the Skelton started the second half with a 13-3 lead and handed it over to Kolb down 16-13 and in Kolbs only drive he leads us to a win and everyone hates him for it. Do me a favor cards fans/Kolb haters. Pick another team to bandwagon on. We don’t need you.

36. By Patrick Eagan on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

I think if the cardinals want to be sucessful with kolb at QB he seems to do better out of the shotgun and spread package. Back when kurt warner was qb he did the same thing. Kolb can read the blitzes and the defense better if its in the shotgun, spread. I think skelton does better in bunch packages and playaction. Darren, do you agree?

37. By MIKE G on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren- Hope you enjoyed the game. Thought the game was similar to the Panther game last year in that we faced a rookie QB and also had a goal line stand to win the game at the end. Nice to see Kolb produce and gain some confidence. Liked the way the D played- only real concern was lack of run game- both Beanie and Williams shut down!!! Darren– do you think our ineffective run game was Seattle’s doing or just lack of commitment and execution on the Card’s end????

38. By Kevin S on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Jason:

As Darren says, the assumption is that Skelton is out for at least the next game or two.

And in my opinion, if Kolb plays well, he should remain the starter. I think anyone who looks at things from an unbiased perspective would agree that neither of our QB’s really “won” the QB competition. In fact, a number of commentators said the job was Kolb’s if he just came out and had a decent drive at the start of the 2nd half of the Titans preseason game, and he lost it based on the INT he threw on the first play.

Skelton was ineffective vs. the Seahawks except for one drive. The entire offense — running and passing game — was dreadful the entire second half and the game was slipping away. Kolb saved it for us with a single drive. If he keeps playing well I don’t see how you sit him. It’s not like Skelton was the entrenched starter. By the way, the same thing happened to Kolb when he was named the starter in Philly — injured his very first game, and never got the job back after Vick played well. It happens. Whiz shouldn’t automatically go back to Skelton just because he said he was the starter. Whiz said Skelton got the job because they thought, at that time, he gave the team the best chance to win. Surely if Kolb keeps playing like he did Sunday, you’d say he gives the team the best chance to win. So let’s see what the next couple weeks bring, and then we can have the debate again.

39. By Andy M on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

The cool thing for me about the quarterback situation was that both quarterbacks did what they were unable to do last year: Skelton was very steady in the first half and Kolb found a way to finish with the game on the line. I felt like with the completion Skelton made on the play he was injured, that he was revving up for another game-winning drive, but the lethargy in the third quarter was the result of tempo issues. The no huddle offense Kolb ran looked very effective.

40. By GW on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

it’s time for the cards to earn some respect from the networks,reporters,OFFICIALS & the league by going ON THE ROAD TO N.E. and winning a game against a elite team no matter who qb this is a team sport win/lose together.The cards has been dealing with going to the east coast and losing badly with coach whiz to become a good team you must win on the road.

41. By Red cards on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren what’s going to happen when kolb gets hurt next week should we be trying to find another qb

42. By cdj on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

we reallly need to work on our running game and our run D

43. By Nick Pepe on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

A character win, to say the least. Way proud of defense. It seemed like a preseason high school scrimmage where teams start at the 20 yard and run play after play after play until the coaches say they got it right! That last series seemed to last an hour, but the D stood up. Awesome stuff.

Hoping the run game will improve. Can’t wait to see what Powell can do against the ones, hope he gets active for a game soon.

I did call the Hyphen getting our first TD, but I also said it would be on our opening drive.

Darren – when was the last time the Cards scored a TD on their opening drive of the season?

@Georgibird, that NE game was bad, but a 55-14 drubbing against the Dolphins, a national TV Thanksgiving game was much harder to swallow. That was 1974 and I am still not over it.

We are tied for first in the division!!! Tenui Nec Dimittam!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

44. By Phil-in-Mesa on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Off topic, I apologize, but I noticed that before each Cardinal punt return, Jay Feely was yelling out to Patrick Peterson. It appeared as though he were giving Patrick advice or information. In fact, just before one punt, Feely made a motion as if Patrick should expect the ball to be kicked end over end with a back spin rather than a spiral and sure enough that is exactly what happened.

Perhaps you could do some interviews (or better yet, allow me access to Patrick and Jay and I’ll do the interview) and let us know what kind of information is being passed back and forth and why or how it helps punt return game.

Thanks,
    Phil

45. By jocards on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Big win, they’re all big. Congratulations to Kolb in particular. Needed a scoring drive and he did his part and delivered. Huge test looming in New England but for now just sitting on a win.

46. By The Jack on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

ooh God, one drive folks, one single drive… you’re already judging Kolb’s performance…

I think it’s time we praised Skelton on his – in my opinion – high performance.

I’m not saying Kolb was bad, by the way, congrats to him. But I still prefer Skelton over him. He had no TD and one INT, ok.. so what?
    Stafford had 3 int and 1 TD and won the game either way, Vick had 4, and also won the game.

I just hope we can continue to get better.

O-line did wonders ( compared to preseason ).

47. By buddy the town winner on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Didn’t fitz say kolb is the starter? Kolb lost his job to injury twice. Skelton cannot play better than he did. 28 passes 150 yrds a pick and 13 points. That’s his career 66 rating talking.
    We need to stay with the run.we need to be the ravens.run run pass. That’s why we lose games. Third downs,TOp,keep the ball away. We also come out of the huddle to early too much.use more clock!

48. By wnycardfan on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Well, WOW. Nice game, as someone said, a few more bounces our way and it woudl have been very convincing. I thought Skelton looked good until 3rd, very sorry he got hurt. Surprised but happy Kolb came in and did that well. A part of me believes its because he was running hurry up which he always seems to do well in (and rest of Card team), BUT hpoefully he builds on this and carries it into next game etc. Running game, where were you????? Despite that, glad very glad to see Oline so strong given situation. They did well, good job. DEF was good too, despite “rookie” QB, they did well. Good stuff. Now lets build on it and nail it

49. By ep on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

CARDS NEED TO BRING IN VINCE YOUNG AS BACKUP QB !IF THIS GUY CAN TURN IT AROUND HE CAN BE GOOD AGAIN, AND HE CAN MOVE OUTTA THE POCKET.

50. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

rojo —

RE: Running backs

I don’t know what it was. It might have been blocking too. I just don’t know. Williams in particular looked fine in the preseason.

51. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Havasu —

RE: Ankle sprain

Well, Skelton had one in preseason last year and he was gimpy for about a month. We’ll see how that goes.

52. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Run game

As I said, I’m not sure what happened there. It was disappointing for sure.

53. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Red Cards —

RE: Third QB

I would expect them to sign another QB, yes.

54. By brom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

The OL did okay but I’m still not convinced. I’m surprised Skelton didn’t get hurt sooner. Kolb will be out next week as well if we don’t get this fixed. I’m not sure if it’s management or coaching, but the OL should be much further along by now having basically the same staff of 5 years or more. Everybody talks abot the quarterbacks but I can’t see anybody being affective with the line we have. It’s no secret why Manning passed on the Cards. Kolb & Skelton are more than capable if they had confidence in the OL.

55. By Patrick Eagan on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

I totally agree with brom.

56. By Eric Y on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Play of the game: Michael Adams pass defended in the end zone! Money Mike!!!!

57. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Nonrelational question, Darren.
    Noticed Skelton doesn’t wear a mouthguard, which has proven to reduce concussions. Does Kolb wear one?

58. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Mouthguard

I am not sure about that.

59. By in fitz we trust on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

we won, were 1-0 tied for first place in the nfc west, tied for first place in the nfc, and tied for first place for the best record in football. thats my assesment…. not a bad start. lol

60. By Louisville Card on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Nice recap of the game. Who do you think might be the odd man out when they pick up a new qb? And how long do you think they’ll carry 4 qb’s? the rest of the season or just until Skelton gets healthy?

61. By Hapster on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Off point but needs to be said…..

Darren. It would seem to me, nearly all the East Coast sports writers and announcers just can’t get enough when it comes to degrading the NFC West. All of the teams in this division have stepped up their game, in the past few years.
    I predict that two or three of these teams will rank in the top ten defensively in the league by seasons end. Also one or two, may be on the offence leader boards. So, I say, they should keep on writing what they will. But save some ink, it’s much easier to apologize in writing than face to face with the players of the NFC West who, I might add, deserve their respect.
    I am Cardinal fan, very proud of the team and the organization along with the other NFC West teams.

62. By jeffgollin on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

What did we learn?

We learned that Skelton continues to be streaky, and we learned that Kolb is capable of playing productively in a brief stretch with the game on the line.

What we don’t know is whether Skelton can improve to where he can eliminate the bad streaks or at least have his good streaks vastly outnumber the bad.

We also don’t know whether Kolb’s performance was a one-time thing or whether – given the current O-line configuration – he can sustain the level of play he displayed during that one TD drive.

We also don’t know when Skelton’s ankle will be good-to-go .

Given the state of Skelton’s health, it’s kind of a no-brainer to assume that Kolb will be our starter for the short-run and that -following Wiz’s “hot hand” philosophy – the starting job will remain Kevin’s (until it isn’t).

63. By georgiebird on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

@ Nick Pepe,
    I remember the Dolphin game from 1977- and that was a bad one 55-14. But the 2008 game was 47-0 until Cards scored at the end for a 47-7 final. I still have the two tickets for the 2008 game but didn’t go because of a blizzard the previous night and morning. The thing about the 2008 game was that Brady didn’t play and it was 31-0 at the half. But things got so much better after that game.

64. By Kevin S on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

The Jack: “I think it’s time we praised Skelton on his – in my opinion – high performance. Despite his INT I do believe he showed what we all want to see. He had glimpses of a nice QB, and for the record, it was more than one drive…”

Come on, “high” performance? Look, I’ll admit, we shouldn’t crown Kolb the next Tom Brady because of a single drive. But if you are going to say Skelton played well in an effort to defend his performance, well, you need to be called on it.

Like many Skelton games, he completed only half his passes. In 28 pass attempts he managed less than 150 passing yards. He fumbled once, but luckily recovered. He almost fumbled a second time as he got hit throwing a pass which, luckily, happened when his arm had just started going forward. The INT was not good. His first half was quite good. But his second half was horrible, and we were very likely to lose that game the way things were going.

I also see people above talking about the shoddy O-line. Yesterday’s pass blocking was 100% better than it was in any of the preseason games. You certainly can’t expect any NFL O-line to be perfect and sometimes there’s going to be pressure, but on many passes Skelton had a lot of time. I would not give him a pass yesterday based on the O-line (whereas in the preseason, I think for both QB’s, at times, it was impossible to evaluate their performance properly because they were subject to immediate pressure on nearly every pass).

Bottom line: If you’re defending a QB with a 51.0 passer rating as having a “high performance,” you are trying too hard. I wouldn’t take the starting job away from him based on one game either — even though I would rather see Kolb in there, I don’t think the coaching staff should do that to Skelton. But if his ankle sprain keeps him out a couple games and Kolb performs well in those games, I see no reason to hand the job back automatically to Skelton. As Whiz said in anointing Skelton the game 1 starter, the decision was made based on who, at that time, the coaching staff felt put the team in the best position to win. Given Skelton’s mediocre play yesterday (and, generally, mediocre play in the 2 years prior), it’s hard for me to see why any Cardinals fan would not want Kolb in there if he continues to play well. Now, that’s definitely a big IF, but if the results are there — with either guy — the Cards should just ride with that guy.

65. By brom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Due to the circustances, it’s kind of hard to say right now, but I see your points. If Whiz shakes up the offense a little on the next game and try more of the off tempo fast pace game, then we’ll be able to see what we’ve really learned. Otherwise, we have no chance of getting in Brady’s way. The defense was good but Brady will expose everything. The OL can be fixed with trickery, snap counts, up tempo and gagets, but now we also need to find out what’s up with special teams.

66. By Scott H on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Well, if ya gotta be involved in an ugly game, you might as well be the winner at the end. And thank God for that. Because to have lost to the lousy Seahawks on the last play of the game after leading 13-3 at one point…ugh.

Darren – I did not get to see the game, was at the mercy of the game center on NFL.com. Please tell me because I am very curious and will trust your input on this. The two pass interference calls on that last drive that probably should have cost us this game ( translation – against any team better than the Seahawks, we probably lose )…were they legit penalties that should have been called or were they questionable calls by questionable refs?

67. By brom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

I’ll say the OL is improving but to say they were 100% better is really stretching. I was at the game and I could see the QB getting hurt eventually. Skelton tries to stand tall in the pocket but it collapes too fast. I’m confident Skelton is going to get better, the Cards just need to work on making him confortable with plays matching his skill set. Kolb is probably the better of the two but I get the feeling the offensive coordinator doesn’t trust his judgement. I would agree to keep Skelton in as the starter only if he’s 100%.

68. By georgiebird on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Let’s get off the OL. We need more speed on the offense to stretch the defense. Opponents are clogging the line of scrimmage because
    1) our RBs are not fast
    2) our WRs are not fast
    3) our TEs are not fast

Result is opponents are not afraid of getting burned with the big play. Oh to have a “Roy Green” at this time!

69. By Darren Urban on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: PIs

I thought the early one on PP — 28 yards in the first quarter — was questionable. I thought the two on the last drive were correct.

70. By brom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

The calls were questionable of course. The Cards were aggressive on D but I think they made good plays on those calls. To be honest, the refs were about even with the bad calls, it just seems to me the Cards get the worst end in most cases. At least I didn’t feel the officiating was pulling for either side like most of the games in the past couple of seasons. The Seahawks should’ve kept the ball on the ground when they were near the goal line. I’m just glad Pete Carroll didn’t know that. A lost to him would have made me sick as well.

71. By brom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Whatever!

Bottom line is the Cards won the game on effort. The officiating will always be questionable.

72. By Brett on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Really!!!! Come on

73. By brom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

It would most certainly be nice to have more speed in those positions but that isn’t an absolute if you have good talent. Tony Dorsett, Emmit Smith, Marcus Allen, Walter Payton, Todd Heap, Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress, Tony Gonzalez, were all good without blinding speed. Holes must be opened and time must be given to the QB. I’m not saying the guys aren’t working hard. I’m just seeing too many missed blocks and I’m sure they know what they need to work on. It’s a team effort and all the pieces must fit. The backs have to find the correct paths and the WRs have to run better patterns too. If the team don’t address all of the facts, they can kiss a winning season goodbye.

74. By KDubADub1324 on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Good job on D and kudos to Kolb for coming in and getting that go-ahead score. Hopefully he can build off it and be CONSISTENT this season. For those who haven’t been able to stand the sight of Kolb; time to get over it and support the guy. Its about the TEAM, not the QB, no matter if its Kolb or Skelton. If you hate Kolb that much and can’t get passed it and support the TEAM regardless, go jump on the Dallas bandwagon

75. By brom on Sep 10, 2012 | Reply

Vince wouldn’t work in the Cards system. He would take off running on every play because he wouldn’t trust the line. I’m sure he’d object to being told to stand tall in the pocket.

76. By The Jack on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S –

First, high performance I meant compared to what we saw in preseason (my apologies if it was not mentioned)..

And regarding Kolb I simply do not like him, don’t feel confidente and ok and he’s under center.

still dreaming of drafting Barkley…

Just a though