Some quick notes on a Tuesday afternoon

Posted by Darren Urban on September 11, 2012 – 5:32 pm

Three quick mentions before I forget:

– The Cardinals made a practice squad move today, releasing cornerback Larry Parker and signing cornerback Greg McCoy. McCoy, out of TCU, was a seventh-round pick of the Bears in the draft.

– As mentioned by USA Today’s Mike Garafolo, the Cardinals worked out veteran defensive end/outside linebacker Andre Carter today. Carter had 10 sacks for the Patriots last year but had his season end prematurely after he tore his quadriceps. Not sure if anything is imminent. The Cards aren’t the first team Carter has worked out for, so we’ll see if anything comes of it.

– During an appearance on KTAR — the news side of the station — and the “Karie and Chuck Show,” team president Michael Bidwill mentioned briefly that Kevin Kolb would start at quarterback this week. Asked by host Chuck Powell “Kolb or Skelton?” — half-jokingly, it sounded like — Bidwill said “Obviously Kevin has done an amazing job, and what a pro he is. He prepared last week with few reps, completely professional in his approach and at a moment’s notice he was able to step in and win the game for us. He’s going to be our starter obviously this week and we’re excited about the opportunity in front of us.”

There was no availability for coach Ken Whisenhunt or players Tuesday, so nothing else has yet been said on the quarterbacks. We’ll see what is said tomorrow and what the injury report brings with the gimpy John Skelton.

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “Some quick notes on a Tuesday afternoon”

1. By scott023 on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Andre carter is a great football player. He is a very smart football player. He has been with and around very good football clubs and was a leader with them. He has the moves and is always around the ball. That would be a great add for us. I pray we get him. Also, I am very proud of Kevin, all the way around.Going to Skeltons side for support, stepping in and guiding the team to the winning td. Kevin you are a true pro, I watched you read the field and find your receivers, great passing. Thank you to all lineman also, all of you . They are a shaddie team the seahawks, their coach knew they were out of timeouts and he showed his colors. He got what he deserved, A loss. This was a very sweet win for us. I stand by the cards win or lose, never ever give up. Go Cards!!!

2. By red c rider on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Hey Bidwell, this ain’t Dallas. Just write the checks buddy.

3. By Tim in NJ on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Michael Bidwill has truly chaged the culture of the Cardinals franchise over the past decade- new stadium, new uniforms, signing star players, playing in a Superbowl, etc. As fans we now expect to win rather then in the past just hoping for it.

The 2012 Cardinals are an interesting bunch. Lots of talent all throughout the roster. Kevin Kolb now has the keys to the ship and the next few weeks will be interesting for sure.

Go Cardinals!
    Tim in NJ

4. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Lol. Let’s see, Bidwill, Fitz, A-Dub and Dockett (and me!;) all clamoring for Kolb (each quoted in last 48 hours) . And the media had it the locker room was down on him. Hmmmn… where there is smoke there may be fire… Darren,what say thou?

5. By georgiebird on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

This week’s Cards/Pats match up a fascinating one that will tell us a lot. What a huge difference between playing Seattle away from Qwest with a rookie QB then going to NE. There probably can’t be a bigger change in game planning for the defense. Sure the defense won’t play as good this week but this is a chance to take a giant leap in confidence. If we can help out with the TEs, I hope the defense can play a heady game against Brady?

6. By BIG RED on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

What the Bidwill, is now trying to be Jerry Jones. Get off your horse, cause after this week end game its back to normal with kolb.

7. By Chuck 1 on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

As I wrote in an earlier post, when Skelton is healthy, I hope that Whiz starts him regardless of how Kolb has done in his absence.
    Let’s see if Whiz knew what he was talking about when he said before the season opener, “John gives us the best opportunity to win.”

8. By Darren Urban on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Don’t take –

RE: locker room

Check out the Colledge quote here:

9. By jskeleton on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

I think Kolb came to the game when it was less than 9 minutes left the 4th quarter to end. He played about less than five minutes ,on his part, in the offensive game. He earned the credit by not repeating his preseason wandiring and restlessnes plays. He help the cards’ defence to win the game by making expected outcomes and limiting bad decisions. Perhaps he hlped the defence to win the game because the oppenents didn’t have a game plan for him; well he was a back up. Kolb is expected and signed to be a frenchised QB not a back up. My point is everybody is making him a hero; he also acts like he won a supper bowel on the podium. The reactions of last week’s game from players, sucha as Wilson, fans, and some medias about Kolb remainds me fame of Max Hall against the Saints a couple years ago. Max Hall and Kolbs are simillar because they are smart and now the theory of football but not winers in the NFL. I love these QBs, but can’t survive in the NFL. Let’s wait and see and more than anything else start to EVALUATE Kolb’s skills in this sunday against NE. Coaches and fans please observe and EVALUATE and then admire.

10. By Rio on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

Need to hear a report about our two starting tackles last week against Seattle.

No one has said a wordl

11. By Eazy E on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

red c river-

I thought the exact same thing. No offense to Dallas, but that is Jerry’s thing.

On Andre Carter, I would definitely like the move. Dude can pass rush and get to the quarterback. That 10 sack season a year ago was also a pro bowl year.

12. By bluepitt on Sep 11, 2012 | Reply

This is crazy I know but I think the cards put Brady on the Bench, due to a injury..
    I just have a gut feeling, Ive watched the Titan/Pats game and our D is 2x faster and we follow through on our hits. I hope Im wrong as I do love to watch Brady operate…and they are in the AFC (No bearing in our Confrence after this game).

13. By Unleash the Card Beast on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

How is it some people are so high on Skelton? He has a better pocket presence you say? Is that why he throws more interceptions than Kolb? All i’m saying is we’ve seen both these quarterbacks make some very bad decisions because the offensive line breaks down, but we’ve seen that Kolb is capable of beating the snot out of secondaries when he gets in a rhythm; I haven’t seen the same from Skelton.

14. By j on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

i dont find it appealing treating kolb like he is the starter, he is the back up filling in for our starter skelton, thats it. too speak of anything else is not very professional at this time at this juncture.

15. By RoddyP on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Once again, I was disappointed to see that all Cardinals discussion programs (Cardinals Headquarters and Cardinals Flight Plan) shown on Fox Sports AZ are blacked out for out-of-state fans – despite the fact that I’m paying for the NFL Sunday Ticket and the DTV Sports Package. This must be an oversight by management because I am able to view similar programming for every other NFL team on their respective Fox Sports channel. It seems like the Cardinals are the only team doing this. Darren, do you have any insight on this? Maybe an alternative way to view these programs for somebody who is willing to pay for it? Thanks! RoddyP.

16. By cardsalltheway on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

BIG RED,
    “What the Bidwill, is now trying to be Jerry Jones.”

Almost anything(anyone) is better than Ken W. Nonetheless it does appear something’s up with the line of communication or feelings about what’s been going on, which isn’t a surprise if you ask me. But didn’t we just win, imagine what will happen when we lose and/or the fragile box breaks.

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Rio —

RE: Not a “word” on tackles

18. By Dan on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

I do have my personal preference as to which of our quarterbacks should be the starter; but this is far secondary to the good of the team. The reason I like the Cardinals more than the Pats, and the reason the Cardinals can beat the Pats on Sunday, is because they have 53 excellent players, not just one great player.

19. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Roddy —

RE: Out of state TV

I am working on an answer on that.

20. By BIG RED on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Im with you J.

21. By bluepitt on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

@ Dan,
    “I’m thrilled for Kevin that he did well for us, and helped us win the game. But Bidwell was wrong to say he won the game for us. It was the defense that won the game for us.” You can say the same thing about most all skeltons games last year, I can remember 2 of witch PP won for us! Under that thinking Skelton only won like1 game for us last year, I can remember a couple games aginst great teams (Ravens) that Kolb had them by the shortys, and our D let them off..Skelton was sputering in the 3rd and if not for Kolb’s drive The game would have been lost.(So if Kolb didnt do what he did we loose so it is safe to say Kolb Won the Game) PP didnt bail out the game with a great return, our D almost gave it away as well. Our D did what they were suposed to do.

22. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren:
    Read Colledge quote. Adds to the mosaic.
    Not a conspiracy theorist, but many noted how the “team” was silent when Kolb got demoted. We know (and like) that is how Whiz runs things. The post performance statements of support were palpable when taken together … felt like a muzzle lifted to me is all…

23. By j on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

never is it one player who wins the game. one player can have a momment, but collectively never is one player responsible. I count 11 on the field during a play not one, and many more behind the conditioning and plays. If we talking outstanding momments id be incline to give Dre more credit for making Kolbs passes look good and that Oline for settling his pocket presence. Skelton played outstanding considering the QB mess over the preseason, and when he got hurt i finally felt it and saw it from the team. He’s our QB!!! The players went out there and got it done for John (themselfs aswel)

24. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply

you are absolutely correct because had Kolb not come in and lead us on a TD drive the defense still would have won… Oh wait, we wouldn’t have won.

25. By Eric Hutchins on Sep 12, 2012 | Reply