“Doesn’t look great” for Skelton, and PP on injury list

Posted by Darren Urban on September 13, 2012 – 3:30 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt is going to make everyone wait a little longer. Quarterback John Skelton was able to do “a little bit in the rehab stuff” but still did not practice, and Whisenhunt acknowledged “it doesn’t look great for John being able to play,” but he would still not officially name Kevin Kolb his starting QB for the New England game. He did say “Kevin has had a great week of practice.”

It would be one of the greater upsets at this point if Kolb did not start Sunday. I’m sure Kolb knows that, and no — in a collective answer to some of the questions I am getting — I don’t think it messes with Kolb in any way that Whisenhunt has not made a public announcement. Gamesmanship isn’t new in this league the week of a matchup. I’m sure Kolb understands.

The injury report grew from seven players to 15 today, however. Of the eight guys added, six practiced fully so it’s probably not a big deal. The two added that were limited catch the eye, though, because one is cornerback Patrick Peterson, suffering from a groin issue. The other is safety Rashad Johnson with a thigh problem.

Those two join the others already limited, which included two other defensive backs: Adrian Wilson and Jamell Fleming (along with linebacker O’Brien Schofield). It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, can’t go Sunday against a good Patriots’ passing attack. (My gut says everyone will be available, but we will see.)

Tags: , , , ,

25 Responses to ““Doesn’t look great” for Skelton, and PP on injury list”

1. By Derrick Haskan on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Everyone is confident they can do their job.

2. By Gary Shaw on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

I have confidence in this team and this coach! They will give the Patroits all they can handle!

3. By clssylssy on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Darn…didn’t realize Adrian Wilson and Schofield were injured…did that happen in the game or in practice? We need ALL of our guys healthy. Looking around the league the first game of the season it seemed an inordinate number of players out with injuries or getting injured and I have to believe it has a correlation with only having limited padded practices and the new practice rules coming out of the CBA. Anybody who has played sports knows the importance of practice and have had it drilled in their head that “practice makes perfect” all their life. There is a definite difference in mind set when practicing in full pads and in just running routes and doing drills…it’s a mental readiness as much as the physical stuff. I hate this CBA…don’t see how it’s benefitted anyone so far. For those ignorant fans who think a sprain is nothing, any orthopedist will tell you that a sprain can be worse than a break as far as recovery is concerned and can vey EXTREMELY painful!

4. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Schofield seems to be breaking down.

5. By Andy on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Any opinion on whether maybe Whiz is handling the QB situation the way he is because Kolb responds better when the pressure isn’t on him? Maybe Whiz thinks the ambiguity will make him feel more comfortable. Just a thought after hearing you guys talk about that on the Underground Podcast this week…

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Andy –

RE: Whiz QB call

I just think he’d like to have the other side think about it as long as possible. I really don’t think it’s deeper than that.

7. By mal on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

What Coach tells the team and what he tells us are two completely different things. He probably sat down with Kolb on Monday and told him there was no way Skelton could play this next game, but he’s not going to advertise that to New England. Why tell them anything if you dont have to?

I wouldnt even be surprised if PP’s injury was a decoy. Maybe he’s hurt, but who knows, maybe Coach is trying to bait Brady into throwing his way. He knows how fanatic Belichick is for detail in exploiting other teams weaknesses — this is exactly how a shrewd coach like Whiz could turn it back against him.

I’m just sayin, dont take it all at face value, especially with the QBs.

8. By mancosman on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

The league has no consistent standard. Saints get the book and then some thrown at them for their bounty acts. Patriots on the other hand merely get a slap on the hand for their spy-gate scandal. Both had the intent of gaining an advantage –albeit an unhonorable advantage. Both were organized by the coaches and management. In my opinion, knowing an opponent’s play before hand is equally as dangerous to a player as trying to injure a player for a bounty. The only difference is that the Boston market is much bigger and more profitable than the Big Easy.

I’ve never been convinced the Patriots are measurably better team than the rest of the league, other than they always appear to have favorable calls during a game. Physically I think the Cards have better athletes,while the patriots have better over-all postion talent.

The Cards have shown maturity of recent, I think tht alone will make this a very interesting and close game.

9. By sarah on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

This is good, start Kolb and let’s see how he really is and his effectiveness. One series does not make a career and hurry up offence only works near the end. If he stars then let him start again, otherwise let’s move on. We have no running game so this should be interesting, defence only lasts so long.

10. By georgiebird on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Whiz’ gamesmanship is a little hard to understand. Maybe Whiz is trying to dangle Sketon and Kolb in front of Belichick so the Pats don’t delve into any of Lindley’s video. All of our QBs are very similar pocket passers- doubt the Pats will do much different.in game prep.

11. By Lifetime Fan on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

True georgie, but the two QB’s play styles and offense calls are a little different, Kolb is a quick hitting timing QB and Skelton like to extend the play more and throw downfield, you don’t want the Pats knowing which one to prepare for.

12. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

No offense to Whiz, but I highly doubt he is psyching Bill Belichick out by waiting to name a QB starter. I think Whiz has trouble naming a starter and never puts his stock in any one guy cause he always wants an out. After the past 3 seasons, I’ve always trusted Whiz’s game planning and football mind but I’m really starting to question his personel management.

13. By bluepitt on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

@Sarah,
    who ran the “hurry up offenc””we ran the no hudle not even close to the hurryup..or the 2min.. just saying

14. By Chuck 1 on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

clssylssy,

Nitpicking, but I think that it was John Wooden who said “PERFECT practice makes perfect”.

15. By Eazy E on Sep 13, 2012 | Reply

Man, we better get these DBs healthy because that is our only shot against them is our D plays outstanding and that still probably won’t be enough because we probably have Kolb starting?! Ugh!

16. By FanSinceJamesHart on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Being a Cardinals fan is like being troll bait. Has always been this way, except maybe when we won the NFC championship game.
    Pro Football Focus really bashes the cardinals, especially Baptiste saying he “Was putrid and even worse than Levi Brown. Who would have thought?”
    When all I seen was some below average run blocking and a commendable pass blocking job.
    I can’t pay attention to ESPN or NFL network either because it usually sums up to how the Cardinals suck or how bad our offense is.
    Before the Seahawks game, all that was said? How great the Seahawks secondary was and push rush. How Russel Wilson will have a break out game.
    13 and half point under dogs to the pats and given no chance, something tells me the Cardinals wouldn’t have it any other way.
    I except them to give the Patriots a run for their money, especially after how well they played on the east coast last year.
    This is just another game to the Pats, for the Cardinals it’s so much more.

17. By clssylssy on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Part of Coach’s perceived “indecision”, I think, lies with an owner who really doesn’t know anything about football but desperately wants to appear to. I think Michael Bidwell has underminded the coaches down the line and listens more to his GM like he has God’s ear or something. It’s not this way throughout the league, Bellicheck being a good example, bu,t the politics are undeniable and it’s easy to see that certain “Dons” of the NFL wield more influence than others and drive the NFL–Kraft, Jerry Jones, the Hunts, Rooneys, etc. I agree with mancosman for the most part and also with Fitz in his belief that we do better when we are allowed to fly under the radar. All this media garbage about the Cardinal’s being leaderless and having no direction angers me mostly because we have so many bandwagoner fans eating it up with a spoon buying into it, and adding further division to the team. We have an abundance of talent; the backup of any position is important and critical to the team’s success and all the negative verbage is counterproductive. I have faith in Coach Whisenhunt and believe there are reasons for his actions, whether they be because of his philosophy or pressure coming from his boss. Skelton and Kolb have two very different styles and there is no reason why they cannot coexist, making the team stronger, other than the negative pressure coming from the fans and pressure from the outside. As I recall, Skelton also went to a no huddle last year and it is effective when breaking things up but I think the coaches have been trying to develop our QBs into LEARNING plays and a playbook which Kolb has had difficulty with as he has had to “unlearn” Andy Reid’s scheme. I think the reluctance to move on signing another QB is Coach’s belief in the people we have, the time they all have invested in learning and a reluctance to toss everything achieved to this point, out the door. As fans we need to remember WE DO THIS TOGETHER and suck it up!

18. By clssylssy on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Chuck…
    You may be correct about that. I just remember the entire time I was growing up my dance teachers and music teachers harping on “practice, practice, practice makes perfect”! I’m sure they all adapted those words to suit their purpose because it is a good philosophy; we only get better through repetition and practice
    till the task becomes automatic and is executed with perfection! It applies to football even without perfect practices!

19. By cdj on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

@ clssylssy

Thank you! every time i come on here anymore all i see is negativity about the team, ownership, coaches, everything about the team is just negative. as you said its counterproductive.

20. By brad oneill on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Patrick Peterson is not a number one yet, yes he has the job but he is still a liability when he is out there. I think he will get there but he isnt there yet.

Kolb is starting and that is the message being sent by Ken, So if Skelton ends up starting I would have to applaud the perfect deception. (yes Ken spends more time on deception than he should in my opinion)

I believe we can beat the Patriots, our defense will attack Brady early and often, If he wins those early battles with quick outs the Patriots win, if we get to him and rattle him early on or pick him off we win.

I am looking forward to Adrian Wilson and Gronk meeting at full speed in the middle ot the field, If i was a coach the emphasis would be on ball defense but I hear Adrian has been preparing by knocking the LIght Rail off the tracks in Tempe this week.

Our run game is going to surprise people this week. 135 yards against the Pats.

The pats are going to bring it out of the endzone on the kickoffs we will have a chance to stop them deep in their territory.

Go Cardinals!

21. By Eric Hornsby on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe there are people blaming injuries on the CBA. The injuries are going to happen. The condition of the players is at an all time high given all the off season work they do and advances in sports medicine. Look back if you will, the injuries are the same throughout the league as they always are, actually a little less. We have actually been pretty lucky over the last couple years and haven’t had too many core players go down with season ending injuries. I’m sure if you look, the number of players that had their seasons end during training camp did decrease, which was the purpose of that language in the CBA.

22. By Tucsonaaron on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

The thing about this is IMO the patriots may know what play is gonna be run but you still have to execute on the field to stop it. The saints players were maliciously going after players to hurt them. Yes maybe you suspend belichik for a few games and take draft picks might have been better but it is no where near as bad as the saints. Every week teams watch video of other teams trying to decipher what play is gonna be run. It’s just the nature of the game.

23. By ken on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

I like all the bad media about he cards.
    that way when we win makes the other guys feel that much worse about that team. We have a lot of good players now, i think we have a better team then we did in 2008.
    We just need to bring it together and show the rest of nfl what we really got. I was looking at who we’re playing the rest of the season i think or bigest problem is goin to b the 9ers, but i steal think we’re goin to be at least a wildcard.
    cards 10-6 this season

24. By William Barry on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Dont underestimate the talent on this team…If we get any production from our offense, we can go far!!!!!

2. Sep 14, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Friday before the Patriots