Horton calls Brady best “ever” and daily Skelton update

Posted by Darren Urban on September 14, 2012 – 12:36 pm

We’ll get to the Cardinals’ QB situation in a minute — since nothing really new was said Friday, including an announcement of a starter — but we’ll start with defensive coordinator Ray Horton talking about the task of taking on the Patriots and quarterback Tom Brady. Horton made it clear that, with all his years in Pittsburgh, he has a good handle on what the Patriots try to do. But understanding it and being able to stop it are two very different things, he acknowledged.

Then he had this to say about Brady: “This is to me the pinnacle of quarterbacks in the history of football. I think he’s unquestionably the best football player ever to play in this game.”

That’s some significant praise, but this week, with the way Patriots coach Bill Belichick has given lofty praise to just about everyone who plays at all for the Cardinals, it probably isn’t unexpected.

Horton feels like his defense worked well this week.

“They know us and trust me, I know them,” Horton said. “What works well is hitting Brady. If you don’t hit that guy, you have no chance.”

– On to the quarterback. Coach Ken Whisenhunt still wouldn’t officially announce Sunday’s starter. But he came right up to the edge of that in his comments about John Skelton and his ankle injury. “We’ll see who (the starter) is at 1 o’clock Sunday,” Whisenhunt said, before saying Skelton had his boot off and was getting better. “I have hope he can be available,” Whisenhunt said. “I know he’s in to the plan mentally. I would say it’s doubtful he would play, but I was encouraged with what I saw.”

– On a better note, Whisenhunt said his other injured players — specifically cornerback Patrick Peterson — all were doing well and he expected everyone else to be available Sunday in New England. That’s good news on Peterson, whom the Cards need. “You never know when you travel because you never know how their bodies will respond but I don’t anticipate we will have any issues.”

Officially, Skelton is listed as doubtful, with defensive backs Adrian Wilson, Rashad Johnson and Peterson all questionable after being limited Friday. Everyone else on the injury report practiced full and is probable for Sunday.

Now, it’s off to the airport.

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Horton calls Brady best “ever” and daily Skelton update”

1. By Nick Pepe on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Busy man Darren. And all this before the Friday before.

No redudant or extraneous questions to pose, so……safe travels!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

2. By Rich on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Infuriates me that these guys forget Joe Montana – 4 superbowl appearances 4 wins. JM is the best qb ever.

3. By Dynosoar on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

What Nick said.

4. By Johnny D on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Horton is just buttering Brady up like Bellichek is doing to our whole team. Tom Brady is no where near the best player or even qb ever. If he doesn’t have perfect pass protection he is nothing special. When do you ever see him make a play on a busted coverage or make a throw on the run. On all his highlights he is a statue with all day to throw. Give kurt warner the time to through brady routinely has and he’d smash brady’s records. If the cards can put constant pressure on him and the o doesn’t turn it over we can win this game!

5. By Brian on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Calm down Rich, Horton is just playing the same game Belichick is playing. He refuses to give any team any kind of bulletin board material so he overly praises each player. He would do the same thing if he were playing the Browns. I don’t think Horton really believes that Brady is the best to ever play the game but I am sure he does think very highly of him.

6. By Mandy on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

so whos the emergency QB ?LOL

7. By RelayTV on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

The Giants have shown the every team how to beat the Patriots… Every time.

We just need to execute the plan.

Let’s shock the world… Again!

Cardinals 19, Patriots 18.

8. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

Sure will be interesting. Many changes since last time in NE, one big one is Ray Horton. Git ‘er done Cards.

9. By Patrick R. on Sep 14, 2012 | Reply

I’m so excited 4 the game i hate it because when ur in the preseason games come quick and regular ur waiting and waiting 4 the game to finnaly show up but anyway GO AZ CARDS BEAT NE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. By jason marcus on Sep 15, 2012 | Reply

It must suck to be Joe Montana and have people going around saying Bradys the best ever……really?……really? Horton ? whats going on I wonder if Montana won 5 Super Bowls they would still say Bradys the best EVER? He’s one of the greatest and a future hall of famer …NOT THE greatest. anyway I believe we can be those bums I really do, and I know all the real Cardinal fans do too, ,WE DO THIS TOGETHER TOMORROW BROTHERS AND SISTERS GET READY FOR THE BELLY OF THE BEAST!!!….and oh yeah the greatest football player ever.

11. By Nad on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Actually I believe the nfl Chanel voted Jerry Rice #1 player of all time & he was Montana’s receiver for 1/2 a decade. Montana also won those SB w/ defenses that were ranked 2, 1, 8, 3. Brady was picked by NE in 2000. they finally give him a deep threat in 2007 Randy Moss who was not even in his prime & u saw what happened. Imagine if he had him for 5 yrs in his prime. Giant beat the hell out of brady in SB 42 yet he marched them down the field in the end zone & gave them the lead. NE has had a bend dont beak defense since 05-06 that usually break at the worst time & in the biggest moments. If your D has to stand & let an offence walk in the end zone in the biggest game of the season need i say more?

12. By James on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

This is correct information. Brady is the best ever.

2. Sep 14, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Friday before the Patriots