Patriots aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 16, 2012 – 7:25 pm

Ray Horton was smiling. “To beat a team that I respect a lot, it means everything,” Horton said in a locker room that featured a lot of happy people and more of Daryn Colledge’s ‘80s music. To beat the Patriots, on the road, “it’s what we want,” Horton said. “We actually want better, but a team like this, we want the win.”

Horton had to be happy. The Cards are a team built with the knowledge the defense must perform. And that’s what they did Sunday. The blitz-happy Horton barely blitzed, by design. No way the Cards wanted Tom Brady picking them apart (one of the times the Cards did bring the house, Brady threw his lone touchdown pass). They generated enough, even without the blitz, to sack Brady four times.

Horton praised his front men. The Cards have a whole lot of high picks invested in the front seven – Dan Williams as first-rounder, Campbell and Washington as second rounders, Dockett the top pick in the third round – and when you throw in the fourth-rounder Acho and former Jacksonville second-round pick Quentin Groves, you’d think they have the pedigree. They showed up.

The Cards put it on their defense in the fourth quarter. Just like Horton wants it. Or not.

“No. No. No,” Horton said with a smile. “I want to win games sitting back and enjoying them. But we tend to win close games. The guys responded to a gameplan. They executed flawlessly.”

Maybe not flawlessly. But to hold Brady and his bunch (as Kevin Kolb called them) to one touchdown? Pretty close.

– Some perspective: The Patriots have now played 81 regular-season home games at Gillette Stadium. That was only their 14th loss, and as noted, their first in a season home opener. It was also the first time Bill Belichick lost to a team in the NFC West since it was currently aligned.

– It won’t be considered Kolb’s best game. But he’s a different guy in the pocket, which is a huge step forward for him. He missed some throws definitely. He needs to be able to hit Todd Heap down the seam early – that looked like it would have been a TD, just like two similar misses to Rob Housler last season – and even coach Ken Whisenhunt lamented his poor low throw on what should’ve been an easy swing screen to LaRod Stephens-Howling that would have gone for big yards. But he did pick and choose his running spots, and (while he can’t lose a fumble) he called his own number twice, once to run for a first down and the other to run for a five-yard touchdown.

With this team, with this defense, I think Kolb can win. “We knew what kind of game this was going to be – we’ve been stressing it all week – stay patient don’t get greedy.” That’s how this is going to go this season. Grind it out.

– No, I don’t know who starts at QB if John Skelton’s ankle is healthy enough against Philly next week (although I won’t lie, that would stink to lose Kolb-vs-Eagles two years in a row.) My guess is Whiz will play it close to the vest all week again. So tell yourself that, and don’t be frustrated when he doesn’t make an announcement.

– Larry Fitzgerald got his first catch early Sunday but was shut out after that. He made what looked like a big grab late, but it was called incomplete and wasn’t overturned on review. Anytime you’re best offensive weapon and he is limited to one reception for four yards you can’t feel good. Then again, the last time Fitz was held to one catch – Christmas, 2010 – the Cards won that game too. So maybe it doesn’t matter.

(Relax. I’m kidding.)

– My brother texted me at one point later in the game, after cornerback Patrick Peterson made a big third-down tackle to force a punt, after he made his diving interception, after he ran the wildcat a couple of times, including a 17-yard run: “Is there anything Peterson CAN’T do!?”

No, Jason, there’s not. Even in the postgame interviews, if he fumbles a word, he takes time to restate what he was saying. You even get clean soundbites if you want.

– The Cardinals have won nine of their last 11. They haven’t had that kind of stretch ever since moving to Arizona. They nine of 12 in the end of 2007 to the beginning of 2008 They won nine of 14 from the end of 2001 to the beginning of 2002.

“We’ve been through a lot of these situations, good and bad, just in my year and a half here, and we finally got a break our way,” Kolb said. “That’s going to happen. The good thing is, is that it was any ugly game; it wasn’t clean for us either. It wasn’t like we played a perfect game.”

Less than two hours until we land. I’ve been writing or doing something web related for more than three hours so I think that’s enough. There’s other things we could touch on, but that’s plenty after a day that turned out pretty good for the Cards.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

87 Responses to “Patriots aftermath”

1. By Blake Allen Murphy on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Wasn’t Dockett taken in the 3rd round of the 2004 draft? Correct me if I’m wrong but Fitz should have been our 1st round pick that year…

Great article, thanks for the read! Great win by the team today!

2. By Kevin S on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Obviously, I’ll take the win, but the fact is that the Williams fumble put us in a position to lose a game that was almost a sure thing at that point… why does it seem like being a fan of this team means you are subjected to so many excruciating plays like that? Everyone knows you’re going to run, you have almost no chance of a first down (3rd and 13), and so the ONLY thing to do, whether it means losing a couple yards or whatever, is not fumble. Even if Williams turned that into a 6-yard gain, what difference does it make? I actually said to my wife before that play that I almost wished they’d just take a knee just because I was worried about a fumble. And LaRod not running that ball out and getting us to the 2-minute warning hurt as well. In the end it didn’t matter but we need to play smarter football. Great game by the D. And whatever happens with Kolb/Skelton, it was nice to see Kolb be the beneficiary of the great D that Skelton got end of last year (as well as some of the luck Skelton got, with the opponent missing a key FG).

3. By chad on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

amen, the card’s are looking solid.

4. By Kevin S on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Also, game’s not over yet, but if this SF score holds up (they have 11 pt lead in 4th), the NFC West will have the best combined record in football after going 4-0 this week. SF has beaten last year’s best NFC team, the Packers, along with another playoff team (the Lions) if this holds up; the Cards have beaten last year’s AFC champion; Seattle destroyed the ‘Boys; and even St Louis beat the much-improved Redskins.

5. By stevedco on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Groves over Schofield starting to look possible?

6. By Sabot on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

“– Wait, you said you wanted to hear the field-goal miss in Spanish? OK, here you go.”

Holy smoke. I am never listening to these games in English again! (Trujillo, is it?) brings it!

7. By Eric Hutchins on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

What a great win for the team. Really excited to be a fan. Great Day.

8. By Chuck 1 on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

As much as some might think that I’m always negative, I’m going to surprise them. And, NO. I’m not a bandwagon fan. I’ve just seen too many deficiencies (FO and coaching decisions, QB merry-go-round, etc.) over the last two years.

Unless several serious injuries to key players occur, I’m willing to go out on a limb and say that 9-7 or 10-6 is possible. Unlikely to get to 11-5 or better.

Kudos to Groves (good decision by Graves), Campbell, Peterson, Horton, OC Miller (using Peterson in the Wildcat), the defensive TEAM and, of course, Kolb (for managing the game well).

Williams’ continuing fumbling problems: Shades of Wells and Hightower of a few years ago. Do I remember correctly that he allegedly didn’t fumble at VT?

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

stevedco —

RE: Groves/Schofield

Possible. But I see both getting playing time.

10. By Bo on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

on the 13 yard gain i noticed williams had the ball open. i was screaming not to fumble after that and it happened. day turned out good. a lesson learned.

11. By ndpenner on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

It’s been awesome how the last 2 seasons we’ve had tight games against teams that we’re “supposed to lose” to and we come out on top. Go Cards. :)

12. By jason marcus on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Holy Moly! Kolb looked solid, but so did our entire team. Big win BIG WIN, so happy for the team and our fans.The Fitz catch in the 4th was good and we got robbed, but who cares there were quite a few bad calls on both sides ,I think these replacement refs are pretty wacky with the calls, Peterson was great too ,but honestly just an absolutely amazing TEAM WIN, I knew we could do it but like most I am still in shock to see we really were as good as I thought and could go out and beat the best whhooooooooooooo GO CARDS !!

13. By lg on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

beanie need to get well and ryan williams need to sit on the bench second game with a fumble dont put the game in his hands hell dont even give him the ball no more realtalk powell is better than him

14. By scubasteve12 on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

as KOLB supporter KOLB needs to perform alot better to have a chance against the 49ers. but then again so does skelton. just need to stick to one qb so they can improve over time and stop missing easy throws.

15. By cardsalltheway on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

I watched the first 3+ quarters and fell asleep with about 10 minutes remaining when disaster struck. I’ll watch it the first chance I get. I’m not surprised we almost lost. With the lead I thought about last year’s game vs. the Ravens and sure enough it almost happened.

16. By Born n Bred on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Wow that was cool..

A grind it out execution day for the O.. Kolb managed well, needs to be more accurate but I feel it will come with reps n confidence..I like the O style but they need to find a better rhythm with Wells n Williams

That D makes you a football fan n love what it is bout this game

Congrats Wiz.. Put a “small” feather in your cap. You deserve it as a HeadCoach

17. By Kevin S on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Chuck 1 for “going out on a limb” to say we might go 9-7 AFTER the team wins its first 2. Were you the same Chuck saying in preseason that this team was going to go 6-10?

Cards fans gotta be excited about the upcoming schedule… going into the big Monday night clash with the 49ers, we have 5 straight winnable games. Not saying we’re going to win them all, we have the Eagles at home (beat them last year, and Vick looks sloppy so far this year), Miami at home, away at StL (they are improved, but so are we), Buffalo at home (handily won today but handily trounced week 1), and at Minnesota. Only one team on that list is a playoff contender. Let’s win the majority of those (or all of them — a fan can dream, right?) and then have a meaningful Monday night game at UofP.

18. By philly cards on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

We only have stabilty because of horton. We win inspite of whiz.I’m so about firing that guy.he would have lost last week with that time out( with real refs maybe) and this week with a fumble and pats had no timeouts.
    Quentin groves gives me confidence in graves.he provides the food.the chef sucks.

19. By Dre on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

This team is going to give me a hart attack d. Great win good job

20. By Brian R. on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

I was actually talking to myself at the bar on that 3rd and 11, saying ” Pass the ball, pass the ball!” Patriots knew we were gonna run it, and its a better idea to pass to fitz 1 on 1.

anyway, im happy with the 2-0 start. practice hard this week Cards…

Beat the Eagles!!!

21. By Melo on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

What is going on with Floyd, why isn’t he playing. Or am I just not seeing him.

22. By ken on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

i still think we’ll b 10-6 this year
    GO CARDS!!!!!!!

23. By AzDesertRat1953 on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Ya know with all these Ups and Downs in the last few minuets of the Cardinals games I’m going to have to get an EazyLift chair, my knees are killing me!

Except for Ryans fumble at the end, The Cardinals Beat The Patriots!

Now they come Home for two weeks, and could very well do even Better at HOME!

GO CARDS!!!

24. By Matt on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Dear Mr. Horton,

I know you’ll get a lot of job offers after this season. But please, please, please…stay in Arizona!!!

25. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    When was the last time the cards started the season 2-0? I dont think I can remember?
    What an awesome win!!!!
    Aloha!!!

26. By AzDesertRat1953 on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Oh yes one more thing. All I have heard all afternoon and into the night is how the poor Patriots had a bad game. Okay, I agree that they had a bad game.

Just like the bad games they have had playing any team that held them to ONE touchdown in the game, 28 of 46 with only 316 yrds for Brady. Four RB’s that had Less than 100yrds rushing. Then, in the Red Zone? 1 of 3 = 33% (That’s what a Defense does for you)

Bad Game… the only Bad thing that happened to them was the AZ Cardinals came to town and whipped some Patriot A…!!!

Then, They Took the Ball and They Went Home!

GO CARDS!!!

27. By Scott T on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

Don’t you love that the NFC west is the strongest in the league at the moment.

28. By bluepitt on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

“– Ryan Williams promised the fumbles will stop, and they need to. That’s two in two games, but you have to be rooting for the kid. A win wipes out a lot, and to have someone else (that’s Stephen Gostkowski, if you weren’t sure to whom I was alluding) fail at the end doesn’t hurt.”

Nope never have rooted for him, didnt understand why we drafted him (said it then and still holding to it)
    He had no buisness being the “Feture” back on the goal line, nor the “Feture” back in the 2:min try and win the game situation!!!!!!!!!!! He is a ROOK! he didnt have a real game snap last year and it showes Whiz says he plays the best to win? and doesnt start rooks? well he is once again… not truthfull!
    Williams is not even close to the Sweetness… We have 2 other backs that dont make those rook (hold the ball low & 1′ fromyour body) game loosing mistakes!
    Is wells hurt? was he hurt on the goal line when williams showed no vision at all?
    Does Whiz know you can run other places becides up the gut with wells?

29. By bluepitt on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

CARDS WORK AROUND FUMBLE
    ““It’s a tough time and it makes it a lot easier after we got the win,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “And look, a guy’s helmet hit right on the ball; it wasn’t like Ryan was swinging it out from his body. But in that situation, you’ve got to understand what’s on the line. He is a young player and will learn from that.””
    THEN HE SAYS
    he wasn’t sure if Williams was trying to do too much.
    THEN
    “I am still traumatized by seeing the ball pop out,” Whisenhunt said. “I couldn’t really tell you until I look at it on the tape.”

Well he told us that he had a helmet on the ball and williams wasn’t holding the ball out!
    Cant wait till he sees the ball out wide and low!!! not high and tight!
    I am so happy for the win! But when Wells and Hightower were fumbling Whiz was clearly mad and expressed it in his media time, but Williams does it 2 games in a row and he defends him? I dont get this Coach????

30. By Geode1953 on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

That was a wild game. The defense was killin the Pats o-line and covering everyone else too! I mean, even that rookie Fleming was out there knocking balls down. Now tweak that offense up a few notches, Kolb or Skelton, and let the defense watch how good their offense is.

Be good to have them Home for two weeks.

You know somebody, somewhere, made the rent and then some on the Cards today!

31. By vegas4u2012. on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

YES!!!-Maybe?This will for
    the meantime shutup alot of these so-called experts(idiots)that talkdown the NFC.
    West(4 and 0 today) & the cards(2and0).It would be nice to see how KK would do overall w/good pass protection.Batista was dominated most of game.Here in Vegas,The Eagles are already favored -4.Can’t wait to see what Horton has in store for that punk-VICK!Also to see Fitz.school (that want to Peterson)DRC.See you all at the game.A true fan through think & thin,since 1988.- GO BIG RED&,SEE YOU ALL AT THE GAME!!!!

32. By Oscar on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Darren great work. I hate seeing all you annoying complainers on here, take that negativity somewhere else. Gladly i left a few comments on Nfl.com talking smack to NE fans and i was right to do so. Great win. Our offense needs to start clicking a little and we will be very tough to beat. I re call our D letting Balt, Wash and Early with slip let Cincy. Thats 11-5 so i expect us to be this good, unlike some of you that seem yo have no clue what YOUR team is capable of.

33. By Brandon on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Dear Darren

How come michael floyd isn’t getting the ball? is he the 4th WR?

34. By Corgon on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Sweeeet!
    This is what the team really needed! A big win based on the D. Now everybody has to believe we can beat anybody with a consistent, patient play. OK, 9 of 11, but count out the 9ers and there wasn’t any really heavy team in the schedule. Now here is the proof that the system is working. Keep on the good work.
    The Cards tricked BB. He knows everything, but we used this to do something completely different. Lot of different things. Nice. Now go after the Eagles! Get Vick and show them the real birds are RED!
    Gooooo CARDS!

However i still don’t understand why we’re trying to run RW all the time in the middle. The dude is damn fast! Send him to the outside….please. OK they know better, but they also sent Beanie to the outside few times. Worked well.

35. By ross on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Bring back Tim Hightower! What’s up Darren!

36. By John C on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

I don’t agree with you, regarding the Williams fumble, that “a win wipes out alot”. This isn’t the first time and it won’t be the last. I don’t mean just Williams, this team has been plagued with running back fumbling issues every year including Beanie and Hightower. I’d like to see this asked of Whiz during a presser asking what he is doing about it. I’m as happy as anyone they won but no way in hell that play should have even happened.

37. By clssylssy on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Great TEAM effort! The Cards always seem to make it a heart stopper and I’m sure Ryan Williams will never forget that fumble and learn from it. Enough said on that subject. I have believed alll along that we have amazing talent on this team and could beat anybody out there (including the whiners). Today proved that a team is the sum of it’s parts and more important than one player and that if everybody is doing their job it doesn’t taken an elite QB to win. GREAT JOB CARDS! As usual we haven’t gotten the credit we deserve for NEVER letting the Patsies get the lead and the awesome job by our killer defense but, hey, I’m thinking we are good flying under the radar and letting our opponents underestimate us. GREAT JOB COACH WHISENHUNT–You da man!

38. By GW on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

A great team win .but 1 thing about the off.need to strectch the field with some deep throws we have 1 of the best wr in the game need to find a way to get the ball to FITZ. ryan williams kid you can’t look for the big play on every run it will come dont press. DEFENSE AWESOME GAME. KNOW LETS FOCUS ON THE EAGLES! A WIN IS A WIN.

39. By wnycardfan on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Great win, a surprise, but man did it feel good for once for us to win one like that. Defense was awesome. They are working it hard and looking good. I’ll be first one to tell you, never thought I’d see them 2-0 this season. But kudo’s, they are coming together. Wish their running game was better though, but hopefully that comes together. Is Wells hurt???
    QB’s, looking slightly better, at least no INT’s. If Kolb or Skeleton can continue to make these improvements, it will go a long way.
    Glad to have a win on Monday morning.

40. By Al on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Can we get a video of when Peterson played in the wildcat? I mised it and it wasn’t in any of the highlights.

Cheers

41. By Dave Chaney on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

The Big Red started this season with tons of negative comments about the quality of their team. Most of the comments were the result of their much publicized QB battle and the lackluster performance from the competitors during the exhibition games. Not much was said about the fact that the defense was really what carried them to a 7-2 closing run last year. Now we know that was no fluke and Ray Horton’s men will step up every game. Teams have had great success in the past with awesome defense and mediocre offense. A sign of a good coach is one who can adjust his gameplan to the positives of his team. Looks like The Whiz can do just that. GO BIG RED!

PS: Sign Ray Horton to an extension quickly Michael Bidwill.

42. By joe67 on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Isn’t it funny how, when you get better players, (and yes I have to say it, spend a little more money, even tho I have never bashed them for the amount they have spent THEIR money) and a good coaching staff and play disciplined, how the breaks seem to turn around. In years past that game is over once the funble occurred. No way is that missed. Believe me after wathching for nearly fifty years, we are owed a BUNCH OF BREAKS.

Long season ahead and need a lot of improvement, but a damn good start. Now about next week…………..

Good goin Cards. Made me very happy.

43. By D on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know who should be worried more, OBrien losing his starting job to Groves or All Card fans losing Horton next year if this keeps up…..

Darren
    Was Whiz pulling a Belicheck last week with Peterson’s so called injury report? If that is what PP looks like less than 100% then the NFL better watch out….

44. By Andy Kw on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Both Groves and Schofield are good. Groves was a second round pick and he was in organizations that were struggling a lot defensively and offensively which is why his production was not so great in the past. But now that he is in an organization that is especially great on defense, of course he will produce. Schofield just needs to get healthier and I expect him to be great on this team. We need all the linebackers we can get.

Hey Darren,
    After the season’s end, will Groves contract be extended? And is it possible to reduce Kolbs salary by a lot so we could keep him as our backup?

45. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Almost

Good to know you aren’t breaking character.

46. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Melo —

RE: Floyd

Played a little. But Cards aren’t passing a ton, and he isn’t as good right now as Roberts or Doucet. It’ll come.

47. By Peter in Canada on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

This was our biggest win since the playoff game against GB, probably even bigger because that was a team in decline while this team has potential to be better. We went into Foxboro made a lot of mistakes yet remained competitive, put the doomsayers in their place and won the game. If we can get improved play from the QB and the O-line, a not unrealistic expectation,with our all-world defence a playoff place beckons.

48. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: 2-0 start

2008.

49. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Floyd as 4th

He’s been fourth all along. I’ve written that a million times. Nothing has changed.

50. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Al —

RE: Peterson video

No promises. Not sure I have it.

51. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Andy KW —

RE: Groves/Kolb

We’ll see on Groves. It’s been two games. Let’s not get crazy. As for Kolb, I would think Kevin a) wants to start and b) would like to test the open market. I guess it would depend on what the Cards would want to lower his salary to first. Long, long way to go.

52. By Cactus jeff on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    They listened to us! Playing 4-3 with dockett and Calais at DTs.

53. By The Jack on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Like Kolb this came, but not enough to want him as starter… the first 6 points should have been 14…. cannot pass on that… but ok, 2-0 on the board… that’s nice so far.

54. By Kevin S on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Clssylssy —

Patriots took a 9-6 lead on the opening drive of the 2nd half.

Cardsalltheway —

And you pretend to be a Cards fan?

55. By Kevin S on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Funny how this team is 2-0 and just beat the reigning AFC champions in a game where we were 2-touchdown underdogs, and the thing certain posters want to keep harping on is how (in their mind) Whiz sucks.

56. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

The Jack

wait, didn’t Skelton do the exact same thing last week against the Hawks?

57. By stevedco on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Who are all these people posting, claiming to be Arizona Cardinal experts?

The bandwagon is leaving the station! I’m guessing with an easier section of the schedule coming the wagon is going to get even bigger.

58. By mrcucu on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

I am sick and tired of most media saying how bad the Patriots played on offense, and how bad loosing Hernandez was for them, and how terrible their offensive line played. With a few exceptions, there is no respect for the Cards, listening to Mike Ditka saying this morning that Arizona should have tried to win the footbal game and not eat the clock. Really? from Ditka? who coached one of the best defensive teams ever in 1985? Reality is that the Cardinals defense is for real, and if the defense is able to remain healthy it is going to keeep the Cards in most games and give the playmakers in this team on offense and special teams a chance to win against anyone. The Patriots offense did not play that bad, what happened is that the Cards defense executed a very smart game plan, almost to perfection. Strategy wins games. Mr. Horton owned Bellichik yesterday, and it is a tough pill to swallow for almost everyone out there. Amazing job Cardinals! I am watching all remaining games with a defribilator by my side just in case, but man, how exciting is to see this team showing character and never quitting. GO CARDS!!!

59. By philly cards on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

How can whiz get credit for this? I’m mean a rookie running a toss play on the road in new england when the other team has no timeouts???? I don’t want the talent on this team wasted.I want horton to be the head coach-he has more impact.we could get 10 wins easy, 12 with a better head coach with this bunch.the excuses we had in the past are gone.the losing is all on whiz when it happens. We have won twice in spite of his late game brain freezing.

60. By brad oneill on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Blue Pitt- the reason whiz is easier on Williams is this is the kids second game, he is also an emotional kid and he has tremendous upside, A good coach doesn’t destroy the confidence of his guys, Whiz didnt rip hightower publicly after one fumble, he didnt start showing impatience until it became a habit.

anyone who has watched WIlliams run understands that he is a phenomenal athlete, you hear people talking about the game slowing down for people once they become unconsciously competent about what they should be doing. This takes a little time, whiz was trying to build WIlliams confidence by putting game in his hands after last weeks fumble, it turned out to be a bad gamble. You can bet in the next situation we will see beanie out there.

61. By brom on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

I agree mrcucu. The Cards haven’t been getting respect from anyone but let the doubters keep doubting while Big Red shows them how to earn it. I believe it was at halftime whenTerry Bradshaw mentioned the game was boring instead of saying the Pats were being tested. The game was exciting from the start if you like defense. Mr. Horton is certainly putting his stamp on the team. Pretty soon teams will have to try and figure out ways to stop every name on defense. You will not be able to key on just Dockett and Campbell. The young talent we now have are amazing. I was waiting for the post game interviews on the field and couldn’t believe that they bypassed it all. That’s okay though, keep dissing the birds. Being the under dog keeps you hungry, so let the Big Red Birds eat.

62. By drummer-1 on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

@ philly cards…

I love have all losses and problems the team has is because of Whiz, but a win Whiz had nothing to do with it… You guys never seem to amaze me.. But the classisc is, we suck..( but i hope i’m wrong ).. that statement always makes me laugh..

63. By Nick Pepe on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Mondays don’t suck after a win. So that’s 9 out of the last 11 fooball Mondays that were just about enjoyable. I am starting to sense a trend.

@Kevin S…. cardsalltheway just needs a little attention.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

It’s Eagles week baby!!! hate those wretched green bastards !!

64. By jocards on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

I’ll tell everybody…myself included that it is time to give credit where credit is due. That was one heck of a win yesterday! Players and coaches alike deserve credit. To go into New England and hand them a loss like that is impressive. The team made some mistakes but they played 60 minutes and deserved to win. Reading some posts one would think that some folks are putting the blame for the Williams fumble on the coach! What?!? Accountability people….You don’t have to like the play call but the fumble is not on Whisenhunt for goodness sake! You win as a team and you lose as a team….This was one big win for the Cardinals! Good job!

65. By jocards on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

@ philly cards – 10 wins easy? 12 wins with a better head coach? This is the NFL. Where in the world are 10-12 easy wins going to come from?!? Has this organization EVER had 12 wins in the desert? Sure….nothing to it.

66. By mal on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

We just win IN New England to start the season 2-0,and people want to come on here to rip the coach?
    Un-frikkin-believable.

67. By jocards on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

While one has to be a little concerned about Williams tendency to fumble I was dismayed by Stephens-Howling taking a knee on the kickoff return with 2:06 remaining in the game. That is NOT smart football in that situation IMO. Physical mistakes like fumbling will happen but mental mistakes can and should be eliminated. Hyphen can’t take a knee there, even if he doesn’t make it to the 20 the 2 minute warning arrives and the clock rolls on from there. Turnovers can be absolutely devastating but they are largely physical mistakes and are going to happen from time to time.

68. By Peter in Canada on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S –

I couldn’t agree with you more. We beat the best team in the AFC and arguably the best in the Nfl on their turf and some people are unhappy. There are claims that we were lucky. I think they were lucky in that Williams gave them a chance to win a game which they didn’t deserve and they couldn’t do it. CC was interviewed today and he said that they were always pressuring the kicker and getting closer to blocking one. That and the memory of the blocked kick probably got into his head. It wasn’t just a miss. He missed by a mile. I don’t know will makes people happy but I for one am ecstatic.

69. By Buck on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

philly cards – What you want means nothing, because you are without a clue about this team or its coaches.

70. By philly cards on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

@ jocards
    Sure if we beat seatle 2x sf 1 and rams 2x and go 6-4 out side the division we get 10. That’s how the west works.if we do better outside div say 8-2 that’s 12 wins.we did this twice already but lost winnable games down the strtch in sb year and the next
    We have larry fitz for goodness sake.we won a game and he had 4 yrds.he stays over 60yrs-80 a game we should have the foundation for the wins.
    Whiz is 0-2 cards are 2-0.he’s a pointshaver coach. Why did adub call kolb poetic? That tells me he knows kolb should have been the man all year.

71. By KKfan on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Congrats to the Cards for going into a hostile enviorment and comming out with the W. Not an easy thing to do. And especially against a Tom Brady led team.
    Much like my Eagles, you have a great defense . And like them you have had some lucky really close heart stopping games to come out the winner and start your season 2-0.

I still see a lot of fans still unwilling to get behind Kolb. Even after being the QB that marched the team down the field to secure the win against the Seahawks with time running out in the fourth qtr. And now the QB that went into Gillette stadium to beat the heavily favored Patriots yesterday. I don’t know what Kevin is going to have to do to gain that support and respect of this fan base. Or even his coach.

Before someone points out that it was really the defense that ruled the day, I won’t argue that at all. I’m merely saying should show the same appreciation to Kolb ( that they show to Skelton) when the defense was the major factor in the games he won last year as well.

If Whisenhunt choose’s to stick with Kevin for next weeks game against the Eagles that wil be a tough game for me. I want Kevin to be the QB and to play well. But at the same time I want my Eagles to come out the winner. You guys can beat up on everyone else after us, and I’ll be here rooting for you.

As for the game itself next week. I think it will be another heart stopper, nail biter for both teams. We both have great defenses. And it will come down to which offense can make the least mistakes. Or let those mistakes become scores..

72. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Philly Cards —

RE: “Point shaver” coach

What the heck does that even mean?

73. By jocards on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

@philly cards – Believe me I hope this team wins every week….Surely you realize that projecting wins in the NFL is a useless endeavor. You only should win as many games as you win…period. These are professional athletes, there are no “gimmes” but to say a team with the Cardinals history and makeup should have 10 -12 wins “easily” is in my humble opinion absurd. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love 10-12 wins but this is a week to week struggle.

74. By Brett on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Hey did not say get off our blog you troll?!

75. By Kevin S on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Jocards —

Some people don’t realize how hard it is to win in the NFL. It’s like they forget that the other team is trying to win as well… Fans consistently overrate their own team. Remember that Vegas had the over-under line on the Cards at 7 wins (some books started at 6 1/2) so anyone who thinks this team should be getting to 10-12 easily should’ve been hauling their butts there to bet a few months’ mortgage. Like you I’d love it if the Cards won every game, but phillycards has them going 5-1 in the division… SF looks scary good, so if we can split with them I’d be happy (the first game is still several weeks away, but based on the two teams’ performance to date, I would expect to be an underdog even at home vs. SF — after all, we’re a 4-point dog to Philly and they’ve struggled, while SF has dispatched two playoff teams). Seattle is ALWAYS tough at home — just spanked Dallas, it wasn’t close. St Louis is much improved, having tested the Lions and beaten the new wunderkind Griffin and his Skins, so while I expect us to at least split with them, it would not be a shocker to lose the road game.

He’s just throwing out those #’s because then if the Cards only get to 9 or 10 wins, he can say, see, I told you so… if they didn’t have Whiz they’d be at 12 wins.

76. By Rob on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

” No, I don’t know who starts at QB if John Skelton’s ankle is healthy enough against Philly next week (although I won’t lie, that would stink to lose Kolb-vs-Eagles two years in a row.) My guess is Whiz will play it close to the vest all week again. So tell yourself that, and don’t be frustrated when he doesn’t make an announcement.”

This is absolutely ridiculous. After all the hard work and all the wins Skelton gave us last year, after he played a decent first game of this year, we are just going to give the starting job to kolb?

Kolb did what he was supposed to do. He came in and backed us up, he didn’t mess up too bad, but he was definitely nothing special.

Skelton earned the starting position. Until Kolb SHINES or until Skelton really messes it up, LET SKELTON PLAY.

77. By Chuck 1 on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S,

So,what is it?

In your response to me, you spank me for changing my opinion from 6-10 to 9-7 or 10-6 and write how there are quite a few winnable games. I based my preseason prediction on the last couple of years and the Preseason during which he Cards didn’t show that they were ready for prime time (can you say OL and QBs?). But, after the first two games, it appears that they have, at least temporarily, solved those two problems.

Then, in your reply to Jocards, you write how it’s “hard to win in the NFL” and cite the books having the Cards’ over/under prior to the season at 6 1/2 and 7. Was I so different than the books? What is the Vegas over/under now?

Huh?
    ————————————————————————————————————
    By Kevin S on Sep 16, 2012 | Reply

————————————————————————————————————
    By Kevin S on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Jocards –

78. By clssylssy on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Kevin for the correction…I’ll rewatch the game again…so much going on Sunday I missed the Pats brief? life in the passing lane…must have been getting a beer…lol! If we learned anything, I hope fans learned this is a team sport and not about the QB…been down that road and everybody’s tired of the bickering! The coach will make the right call and I’m sure both Kevin and John will play, each having their own strengths. I just hope we can stay humble and keep a forward focus. The Eagles are a tough team but our defense should be able to handle Vick…gonna have to get in their head early and put the fear in em. We can do it!
    Loving the NFC West finally being a division considered legitimate opponents but like flying under the radar. I hope the front office can see how valuable Horton is to the success of this team, remember we almost lost him at the end of last season and considering his performance wouldn’t be surprised to see him getting poached this year for sure…let’s make him an offer he can’t refuse!:)

79. By Kevin S on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1 — thanks. Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be a jerk… I just thought the use of the phrase “going out on a limb” to say they “might” go 9-7 (or 10-6) after the team has started 2-0 was funny in contrast to the gloom and doom prediction from earlier. You’re certainly welcome to revise your prediction and I’m glad you see improvement that justifies doing so. Re: the other comment you cite, as a fan, do I think we can get to 9 or 10 wins? Of course. But the one guy was saying that we should get to 10 wins “easy” and said that if not for Whiz we’d get to 12. That’s a ridiculous comment. Doable? Yes. Easy? Come on. You know he’s just saying that so that if it doesn’t happen he feels justified in continuing his “fire Whiz” campaign.

80. By bluepitt on Sep 17, 2012 | Reply

@brad oneill,
    Whiz might be going easy on the “Rook” but to put the game in the hands of a ROOK, hoping to instiill WHAT? Whiz doesnt start ROOKS? but he puts Williams ahead of Wells in the most crutal times? You say Williams is this phenomenal athlete (who I remind you, has done nutn in the NFL) What are you basing this off of? His Prep Play, his time at VT? I can name more phenomenal athlete’s that sucked in the NFL than you can name did what they wer suposed to do (Light it up)… Want some, Aarington, Leaf, Leinart, Wuerffel, Torretta, Crouch, Warrick, Biakabutuka, Quinn, Reggie Williams, Carr, Harrington, Salaam, McCants, Gallery, Couch, Bosworth, Russell,I can go on and on, most won the Hysman.
    All were the phenomenal athlete’s you mention (more so than Williams) and all were 1st round picks.
    Williams Is (To Me) impressing you due to his hard running, he has no quit ill give him that, If he is so emotional then he better curb that fast!!!!!(his emotions almost lost the game by trying to do to much) This is the NFL not highschool, suck it up! Im not mad at him he is what he is, I pray im wrong but I see him geting hurt more often than not, due to his hard running and throwing caution to the wind. Look, I think Whiz is the best coach we have had in a long while, but you dont put a game like that on a kid that has not proved anything ( but a fumble last game) in the NFL. I blame that on Whiz, Wells has proven over time he can be counted on when he is needed Hurt or not. Why doesnt he put Lindly in to boost his ego? or start Floyd? Why Williams over Wells? Explain that?
    Thank you for your post and opinion I enjoyed it.

81. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

blue Pitt

This is Williams second NFL game. Of course he hasn’t “proved” anything as you say. You know who else didn’t “prove” anything 2 games in? Beanie Wells. Lay off the kid. We have two good backs in Wells and Williams, nearly every team in the league runs a two back system. We’ve had issues in the run blocking as well, so it’s not all on Williams and Wells right now. We will get better in the run game as the season progresses. And everyone clamoring for Powell… Zip it. I want you all to go back 10 years and pull up the leading preseason rushers. They are all bench and practice squad guys. Get behind the team!

82. By BigBobDiesel on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know why i read these things. Who ever is driving that bandwagon must be lost. The cards are 2-0 and that’s really all that matters.

Bluepitt- the answer to all of your questions are on previous posts which is why D isn’t answering you. Beanie had 14 attempts to R. Williams 10, they are splitting carries which is very common in todays NFL. (Showing your age maybe?) Roberts has had a better offseason than Floyd. There is an article and one or two videos about him done last week, check it out. Why would you start Lindley to boost ego? It’s not about Lindley’s egol, it’s about winning football games, and Kolb has managed just fine. You can obviously read, so look around the website, posting a comment isn’t the only thing you can do around here. There are articles, videos series, highlights of previous games, and simple box scores which is where I pulled the running back stats from on the handy dandy Cardinals app. C’mon buddy, I know you are smarter than that. Start thinking for yourself instead of having Jimmy watercooler’s opinions.

83. By Nick Pepe on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

I apologize to everyone for making you read the below drivel more than once, this is assuming that you bothered to read the drivel at all.

@bluepitt the following makes little gramatical or factual sense:

“I can name more phenomenal athlete’s that sucked in the NFL than you can name did what they wer suposed to do (Light it up)… Want some, Aarington, Leaf, Leinart, Wuerffel, Torretta, Crouch, Warrick, Biakabutuka, Quinn, Reggie Williams, Carr, Harrington, Salaam, McCants, Gallery, Couch, Bosworth, Russell,I can go on and on, most won the Hysman.”

It is possible that you may in fact have some valid points to make, but if you want to be taken seriously you should put more time into gathering your facts and putting them in a more concise format. Not that I am perfect (or an English major) and my typos are plentiful, but really my man that is just hard to read.

@Rob- I agree with you. If Skelton won the job, then when he is healthy he should get the nod. You shouldn’t lose your job due to injury….. like Kolb did to the felon in Filly!

It is friggin Eagles week!!!! Already WIP ripping us and to quote Kevin Reilly former Eagle (who went to my HS) and does tv/radio work for local comcast……”Nick, the Cards couldn’t put a whooping on Goldey Beacom”. (a little community college here in Delaware). My response was to just tell him he’s right…….

Love that everyone thinks the Cards are still a pushover.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member.

84. By Nick Pepe on Sep 18, 2012 | Reply

Just an FYI…Kevin Kolb will be on 94.1 FM WIP in Philadelphia, 2:45pm eastern time today. Just in case anyone wanted to catch him live online…..at least I think you can listen to it online.

Happy Tuesday Before Eagles game!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

85. By Troy on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Phill Cards

Go somewhere else. I can not believe that the controversy surrounding “my” favorite team (was born and raised in St Louis and have been with my CARDS ever since and will never leave them) has such nay-Sayers. Why are you blogging so much junk? Either you support or you do not support. Everyone read this again. Our CARDS just beat NE in NE. Call it luck (you make your own luck). Call it skill in which you have skilled PROS playing the game. But to call WHIZ a “points-shaver” coach. Makes you an “outcast”. If you was a true fan then be a fan. Not a chump.

Being a CARDS fan for 40 years is no joke. Went to the super bowl. Saw them in the Jim Hart, Otis, and Bakken days. Terry Metcalf, Ike Harris. Don Coreyell. I’m a true fan. To see what the Bids have done in the past 5 years is awesome. New stadium. Whiz and company. Horton.

Building an empire takes a decade. We are 1/2 way there and we are already showing our improvements. Point being. BE A FAN. BE A SUPPORTER. SHUT UP WITH THE NEGATIVES because don’t the Cards get enough of that from the media. Let’s enjoy this together. “We do this together”.

86. By Nick Pepe on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

@troy

Right with ya brother! Tell em like it is.

Fan since ’71, and I too am loving this.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

87. By brom on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

I hear you Troy. Point shaving??? not to say it’s happening but first of all, you have to be in the elite team group before that can even be considered. I’m sure the Cards aren’t in that group with all the dissepect they’re getting from around the league. We haven’t been able to generate enough offense to give away points lately. I get the impression none of the experts and networks really like the Red Birds. The sports commentators are still trying to push the Cowboys back into the light. When the Cards went to the Superbowl, it was like no one could believe it. Whiz is putting together a good program. When he gets the Cards to their full potential they’ll get their respect and then the corrupted ones may want to ask him to ease up.