• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Back in black, and a linkfest

Posted by Darren Urban on September 19, 2012 – 1:08 pm

The Cardinals will wear their black uniforms Sunday against the Eagles, the first time this season. I’m not sure when the other black-uniform date will be or if there will be one, but teams can’t wear their alternate third jersey on national TV (which rules out the Monday night game against the 49ers) nor can they wear them after the flex scheduling starts after the Cardinals’ bye week Nov. 11. So that obviously narrows the choices. Feels like it might be the Bills?

Some other news and notes:

– The Cardinals’ win in New England was nominated for the GMC “Never Say Never” moment award for the week. It’s a fan-vote thing, so you can vote here.

– I had some fans asking about seeing video of the PatCat formation. So here you go.

– And for some entertaining audio, (no, I wasn’t referring to Cardinals Underground, although that’s pretty good too) here are Dave Pasch and Ron Wolfley in the final moments in New England.

– If you want to rub shoulders with all the Cardinals and even bowl a little, check out the upcoming Kingpin Challenge Oct. 8 held for Cardinals Charities. All the details are here.

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “Back in black, and a linkfest”

1. By Chris B on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

do you know who the BRR guest is this week?

2. By SteveG on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Steve Sabol may have passed but his influence lives on…

LOVE the orchestral work behind the audio of Wolf and Pasch….Straight of of the NFL Films playbook and why not..it WORKIS!

I think my coffee tastes better after a win…..

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Chris B –

RE: BRR

Has not been announced yet.

4. By Kreedos on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

That audio of Dave and Wolf is EPIC! That seriously got me pumped up!!! Bring on the Eagles!

5. By zach on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

i heard somewhere we are supposed to wear red. any idea if we are having a “redout”

6. By hummer53 on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Hmmmm. I see where DeMarco Sampson had a Tuesday tryout with the Eagles yesterday. Last week he had a tryout with New England. Hey, did the Turk retrieve the playbook from DeMarco before he left. If DeMarco gets a tryout next week in Miami i’m going to really get suspicious. :-)

7. By david on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

I’m going to stop watching the nfl because of their host. The man that wears the blue jacket and tries to impersonate will Ferrell… Since ur the insider, can you please tell someone that he’s not funny and get of the air please.

Thank you for all the hard word and follow ups.

-David

8. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I know you dont make the rules but why cant the cards where their alternate jersey on National TV? Is it so we dont confuse the public??
    Pretty lame for the NFL for not letting them show those cool jersey’s off!!!
    Aloha!

9. By Dynosoar on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

DeMarco,

all I gotta say is misinformation baby, misinformation.

Not sure about Belichick’s reasoning, but the Eagles could really use a receiver of DeMarco’s caliber.

I like Andy Reid so I’d like to wish him condolences in advance. Hopefully we see you in the playoffs, because I don’t want to see the other three teams any more than the 16 games I have to. Andy, I’ll wish you condolences in the playoff game as well.

Sea of Red baby!

10. By Dynosoar on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

With our Defense the way it is, our players don’t need Raider, Steeler or Falcon black to look tough.

They are tough!

Maybe after this season we can move away from black and use a throwback instead of an alternate.

In 1898, the Cardinals bought some used uniforms from the local college and the team’s owner, Chris O’Brien exclaimed, “That’s not maroon. That’s cardinal red.”

In 1947 we included a cardinal perched on a football on the uniform, incidently, that was our last Championship season.

I submit replacing the black alternate uniforms with a throwback uniform of either the 1898 “Cardinal Red” uniform or to the 1947 uniform of our last championship.

The history of both would generate discussion about our team and not just about an alternate uniform.

11. By Dynosoar on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Maybe we could have a throwback to the 1932 uniform worn when Charles Bidwill aquired ownership of the team. Although, I love the idea of a throwback uniform from 1947.

Darren, are there any rules regarding what a team can and cannot do in creating their throwback / alternate uniforms?

These last two posts of mine are probably mere musings, but I like musing so here they are.

12. By k-Dub on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

This may be a downer but I also need to hear the audio of Williams fumble.

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Dyno –

RE: Throwback/alternates

I do think they have to be approved by the league.

14. By Patrick Eagan on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I have to say I was impressed with Kerry Rhodes on Sunday going one on one with Rob Gronkowski. He made the save of the game in my opinion. He covered gronk perfectly on that 2 point conversion. He’s my star of the game.

15. By welpe on Sep 19, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

interesting info on the jersey rules, but what about wearing the All-Red ones instead of Red-White pants jerseys? Both work for National TV?

Red all the way! Greetings from Germany.

16. By AB on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

I honestly think the Cardinals should run this play, especially against the Seahawks.

It’s a right pitch out fake run for a left pass to QB Russell Wilson. They did it twice in this college highlight video. Once @ 4:03 and again @ 8:43. Check it out. You should seriously suggest it to the coaching staff.

I think it should be Peterson to Kolb, or something of the like.

Thank you for viewing! Have a great day!

AB

17. By Al on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the ‘PatCat’ video Darren!

18. By Sean on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

I love the black jersey look. I think the black Jersey would look sweet with war paint like this,

Puts in my Halloween suggestion in the suggestion box.

19. By clssylssy on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

I know the Black jerseys are suppose to have the “kool” factor, look menacing or whatever and are favorites of the fans but as I recall, they have been bad luck for us in the past. Red is who we are and red is what we should wear. I love the idea of a redout! To me, the black jerseys REALLY do look like we are trying to be the Steelers West (I love the Steelers) and, I’m just suspicious enough, to not want to take any chances when we are on a roll! Guess I just have never really understood the whole concept of the black uniforms…Cardinals Goth?

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Patrick –

RE: Rhodes coverage

Agree. It was under the radar but Rhodes’ play was huge.

21. By Darren Urban on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Welpe –

RE: Uniforms

Yes, they could do that.

22. By clssylssy on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

Agree Kerry Rhodes is often a unsung hero. We are fortunate to have the quality Vets we have…Todd Heap is another favorite who has always been a crowd favorite both with the Ravens and now here. I am so impressed with the way this team hangs together as a unit and flys pretty much under the radar…silent but deadly! Let’s continue with whatever formula Fitz is using; I’ve NEVER had so many friends from around the league really excited about Cardinal football—feels great!

23. By j on Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

could they have a red helmet/mask also? or is helmets off limit?

24. By Mike (Tucson) on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Great!…timing I just got my Nike Elite Black Patrick Peterson jersey in the mail yesterday! Glad they kept the Black Jerseys even though I the Red Sea!

On the topic of Replacement Officials:

It’s pretty sad when the NFL is continuously sending letters/emails to all teams regarding the treatment of the replacement referees! It’s AMATEUR hour in the NFL! Reminds me of Pop Warner Football or a youth sports league! The season ticket holders deserve partial reimbursement for the crap the NFL is allowing on the field! Not to mention the Cards having to not only play opposing teams but the refs also! (9 yrd 1st down, could go on and ON) I am not angry with the Refs somuch as with the Multi-Billion dollar NFL not paying the Refs and Above ALL putting the BEST product on the field each Sunday! #JustSayin

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

j –

RE: Helmets

You can’t change helmets back and forth.