DRC makes his return

Posted by Darren Urban on September 21, 2012 – 9:39 am

The headlines this weekend begin with Kevin Kolb (probably) facing the Eagles for the first time since they traded him away. But it’s also the first chance for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie — the other player in that trade — to return to Arizona for the first time. Kolb may have been hurt last year when the teams played in Philadelphia, but DRC was there, at least at first. DRC hurt his ankle returning the opening kickoff of the second half and missed the Cards’ rally that day.

“They’re the ones who gave me the opportunity to be in the National Football League, so you always want to thank them for that,” DRC told PhiladelphiaEagles.com. “I had fun times (in Arizona); there are no hard feelings.”

DRC never really seemed to be a hard-feelings kind of guy. He was/is talented, and showed, especially in 2009, why the Cards made him a first-round pick in 2008. He made the Pro Bowl and seemed headed for great things. But he wasn’t good in 2010 — few were for the Cards that season — and even he knew it. When the Cardinals hired Ray Horton to be defensive coordinator, Horton talked about having “little guys who could hit,” and anyone who watched DRC had to wonder if DRC fit that bill.

(Although I will say this — Horton has made it clear to me that if a guy is a good enough cover corner, other issues can be overlooked.)

When the Eagles were willing to trade Kolb, and on the lookout for a cornerback knowing their time with Asante Samuel was likely coming to an end, DRC ended up being the piece the Cards surrendered. DRC struggled a bit last season as the nickel corner while the Eagles started Nnamdi Asomugha and Samuel started. “The way he handled that was phenomenal,” Eagles coach Andy Reid said. “My hat’s off to that kid just for that alone. It was new to him. He attacked it the best he could attack it. We were blessed with three real good corners, so one of them had to sit. He was the one and he was awesome with that, but he’s playing well now.”

DRC admits he was surprised at the trade, but he’s moved on. The locker room certainly hasn’t been the same. Close friend Michael Adams (tackling DRC on DRC’s first-half kickoff return last year) and DRC often did a lot of talking, bantering, arguing. It’s hard to forget DRC’s sometimes painted toenails, his Toy Story kids backpack, how he talked about his love for sandwiches he “cooked” with an iron on the ironing board, or the time he wore old-school footie pajamas into work when the Cards had to practice on a holiday. He was one-of-a-kind.

He and Fitz had some practice battles — the ones Patrick Peterson took over after DRC left — and considering DRC played just three seasons in Arizona, he left a mark. It’ll be interesting how his homecoming goes Sunday.

“I’m just looking at it like another game,” DRC said. “I know a lot of people are probably looking at (the trade angle), but I’m just going in there facing an Arizona team that’s on the rise.”

Tags: , , , , ,

22 Responses to “DRC makes his return”

1. By Jesse Robles on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

No Jeremy Maclin this game either, Lets go D! Hopefully we can get this win, first time being 3-0 in the Grand Canyon State. Cardinals for life.

2. By rdixon50 on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Glad you mentioned the toenail polish – saved me the effort

3. By brad oneill on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

The fans should give DRC a big applause, AZ fans are only bitter towards our current players. ha ha ha. I just hope he doesnt end up getting a hold of one of those underthrown balls where the only thing between him and the endzone is a replacement ref.

4. By philly cards on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Reading that I’m glad drc is gone. Kids book bags? And pajamas.combined with on-field add and low madden awareness. I now give whiz a mulligan on drc though somebody should have sat him down.he’s darrel greens nephew but so is cromaratie on the jets.looney tunes in the truest sense.

At the sametime you wonder how his intial interview went.how did he answer questions about his approach to the youth.(Re:matty l,drc,breaston)

5. By MIKE G on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is good! I always liked DRC- he is a talented guy with good speed and ball hawking ability. It seems he didn’t fit with the schemes of Ray Horton. I hope he does well with Philly just not this week- he had 2 picks the other week. With all the throwing in today’s NFL he is a guy that is asset–you can never have enough corners. Hey Darren–What specifically did you think Horton didn’t like about DRC’S makeup– tackling ability and lack of physical play?? or was he just odd man out when Kolb became available???

6. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: DRC trade

I think the Eagles wanted a cornerback. He made the most sense to both sides. I think the Cards would have kept him if they could have.

7. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

DRC came alive for us durring our Super Bowl run. Fell of the radar the following season. It sounds like he’s getting back to his Super Bowl run days and I’m pleased to hear that.

I’m not bothered about his trade, we made the best decision we could and with all decisions, sometimes information comes in after the fact that would have changed our decision if we’d had it sooner. We made the best choice at the time.

It would have been nice to see DRC and PP lining up opposite each other, but I watched Adams bat away touchdown passes in the first week and William Gay make great plays that week and last.

I’m good with who we have and am glad DRC’s in Philly to take down the Cowboys, Giants and Redskins each season.

8. By cardsalltheway on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

“I think we’ve done a real good job now for six years of scheming to get Larry the ball,” an unconcerned Cardinals offensive coordinator Mike Miller said. “As well as that being a focus, I think we need to remember, look, our focus is to win the game.”

That’s what you call sitting back and resting on your laurels. What do you expect?

Realistically, how long can we win with little yardage by our RB’s, K. Kolb as our 2nd leading rusher, and no Larry Fitz? If this continues we’ll soon see our D-fence panting with their tongues hanging out.

9. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

All the time I hear fans lamenting on the poor media coverage our Cards receive. I also hear about things like the elite Philly O-line.

Who makes the determination of an elite O-line? Pundits who have to have all their truths of a predetermined shape, size and color to fit into their brains. That’s who.

How else do you explain the same teams in the top ten every season, despite their records. How else do you explain one top ten college team (Alabama) losing and dropping seven places and another top ten team(can’t remember the team) losing and dropping fifteen places. They have their childhood favorites and our job is to do what the Patriots have done over the last decade and that is to educate the next generation of pundits that the Cards are a dynasty.

That’s what I see Whisenhunt’s staff doing, building a dynasty, one draft and one win at a time. This week it’s Philly’s time to drop, then Miami’s, then the Rams and so on till we give Fitz that second shot in New Orleans.

If I step back and look at the last four years as a whole, I’m not concerned about biased pundits; I just see a dynasty rising. Rising like a Phoenix, from the ashes of the past to shine in flaming glory forever (or at least for a long time). 3-0 is the next step.

10. By Dynosoar on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Nick, enjoy the game.

11. By Sarah on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Loved this in last Philly game !

12. By LadyCard04 on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

I always got a kick out of DRC…just not always when he was playing. His “backpack” was cute but sometimes it seemed like he just zoned out while on the field. Also, he didn’t seem to want to tackle. He was excellent at returning interceptions but….

13. By cardsalltheway on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Andre Roberts was interviewed here…

Maybe A. Roberts can be our leading rusher again this week like he was in our 1st game!

14. By fightingbird on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

can we get him back

15. By NJAzCardsFan on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Darren- Would the Cards re-sign DRC as his contract with the Eagles, is up at the end of this season?

16. By A.Jackson on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

DRC went to my high school. LAKEWOOD RANCH! only NFL player to come out of my school. im a huge cards fan but im really hoping to be number 2 from my school! GO CARDS!

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

NJAz –

RE: DRC

I don’t expect that.

18. By juan on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

Its off topic but any word on re-signing the HYPHEN? Are they planning to?

19. By dan on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

All we have to do is have Kolb do a fake pump and watch DRC take the bait like he always does.

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 21, 2012 | Reply

Juan –

RE: Hyphen deal

I have not heard anything.

21. By jeffgollin on Sep 22, 2012 | Reply

The drafting of DRC marked a change in personnel philosophy to emphasize pure speed and athleticism at the CB position.

Before DRC, we seldom if ever brought in guys like Jefferson, Toler and, of course PP21. Ironically, we brought so many of these guys in that we wound up with a surplus, and DRC and AJ are now with other teams.

But I like our new approach to stocking the CB position – I think it’s resulted in a significant net upgrade compared to the old days when it alwaysseemed to be Aenias at one corner and some slow plodding dude at the other.

2. Sep 21, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Friday before the Eagles