• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

D-Wash uses speed to (help) score

Posted by Darren Urban on September 24, 2012 – 5:07 pm

Daryl Washington’s speed helped him harass Eagles quarterback Michael Vick all game Sunday. It was the reason he notched a pair of sacks. But nowhere was Washington’s speed more apparent than the final play of the first half not as a defender, but a blocker.

Safety James Sanders scooped up the fumble at his own 7-yard line and had a convoy (as you can see in the video below). But Eagles running back LeSean “Shady” McCoy had the angle, and there was no way Sanders was going to score — and he had to score, since time for the half expired on the play — without some help.

“As I saw McCoy, I’m thinking, ‘This could be a big play,’ ” Washington said. “So I hustled my butt. I’m tired. But it’s a hustle play.”

Washington ran a 4.51 at his pro day before he was drafted, but you watch the video, it looked like he was running faster than that. “I had people texting me that I was running like a corner,” Washington said with a smile. “I take pride in my speed.”

Washington raced up as if he was blasted out of a chute. No discredit to linebacker Paris Lenon or defensive linemen Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell, who both tried to keep up with Sanders, but Washington ended up necessary.

“I saw Paris and a couple guys, but I didn’t see D-Wash,” Sanders said. “I was trying to slow up a little bit to see if Paris and those other guys could get  McCoy out of the way. Then I saw 58 flying out of nowhere. I thought, ‘I’ll follow this stallion to the end zone.’ He went ahead and threw Shady out of the way and made it a lot easier for me.

“I knew it was a matter of time to get that last guy out of the way.”

(All I could think about was the Oregon kid I had seen on ESPN who also had a convoy on an interception but his teammates provided an epic fail. Thank goodness Washington was more on top of the situation.)

“James had four or five guys who could make the block, but I thought, ‘If I can get there before them …,’ ” Washington said. “You need the one guy to make the block. I knew it’d be a huge play. Just killed their whole spirit.”

Here’s what was really impressive. The Cards’ defense had been on the field for an intense 73-yard, 11-play drive just before the fumble. Exhaustion was setting in. “I ain’t going to lie, I was really tired on that play,” Lenon said. “I’m like for real. That (play) was great.” Washington felt it, but knew he needed to make one final push. The locker room awaited one way or the other.

“I thought, ‘Thank God it’s halftime,’ ” Washington said. ” ‘I’m not running in. I’m not jogging. I’m walking.’ “

Tags: , ,

24 Responses to “D-Wash uses speed to (help) score”

1. By blake on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

That was an awesome play GREAT hustle Darryl . i think that game yesterday also showed how much Kerry Rhodes was missed last year ( along with Ryan Williams ) .
    The other great thing is watching Larry run down the side line in excitement.
    Its still a long way to go this season as anything can happen, but great start guys.
    Was really sorry to see Levi and Jeremy go down for the year but after 3 games this offensive line has played pretty good , i just want to say GREAT JOB Russ Grimm in getting these guys playing on the same page

2. By AndyStandsUp on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Two casual notices from the video:
    1. Brent Celek was open at the goalline but Vick missed him and 2. Sam Acho came dangerously close from clipping Damarius Johnson. (Who wanted the call.)

Either way, a gamebreaker for the Cards and a possible turning point for the season.

3. By mal on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Yes, give props to DWash, but the second guy to cross the goal line right behind Sanders was not a linebacker or a safety — it was a 290 lb 31 year old lineman with the heart of a warrior!

If you watch tape of these games, Darnell Dockett is creating havoc on every play that isnt a pass downfield, from sideline to sideline. Either they put 2 blockers on him or he busts straight into the backfield and blows up the play. He doesnt get the flashy numbers, but so many times QBs and RBs run away from him right into a tackle. Twice Vick saw 9-0 coming at him and instantly froze dead in his tracks and got sacked by someone else. Other teams’ players fear Darnell Dockett.

Just judging by who gets all the media ink and attention, I think Dockett is the most under-appreciated guy on our team.

4. By georgiebird on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Great game against a quality opponent. Kudos to Whiz and Horton. Now back to the drawing board for Miami.
    On our discussion last week re ‘selling out’; Cards mostly rushed four against Philly but it seemed the other three linebackers play close to the line of scrimmage- leaving our dbs without much help that could be a problem down the road.
    Also, can’t remember the last time the Cards pushed an old NFC East team around.

5. By Cardinal on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

37 yrs a big red fan….best D i’ve ever seen .. middle 90′s D not as nasty !!!We for once are getting all the breaks this season so far . Go #90 Darnell been wearing your jersey pround for 5th season now ..

6. By johnnybluenose on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

i’ve been watching monday night football. it’s half time and seattle already has eight sacks. the nfc west plays the best defense in the league, no doubt about it.

7. By Chris B on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

Andy,
    Celek wasn’t open- Sanders had him until he saw the ball pop out.

Acho hit his arm and #13 looked like him went to push passed it and over compensated for the sudden lack of resistance (similar to playing tug-of-war and one side suddenly letting go).

The Eagles were looking for flags all night long. Jackson would have had a TD had he focused on the ball instead of the ref.

8. By mancosman on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

If I didn’t know better, the coaches know football a little better than us fans. The Card coaching staff and organization are doing a great job.

Hats of to Steve Keim. Finding roll players like D Anthony, Sherman, Sanders, Gay, Holiday, Carter, Sendlien, Roberts, Doucet, Housler,King, …. list goes on. Finding the pieces between the stars is harder than finding an All-pro.

Finding the mix between some seasoned vets and younger players — lastly the coaching staff doing an excellent job in player development.

9. By KurtM on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

@mal

I couldn’t agree with you more. That’s why Darnell is easily my favorite guy on the D. So many things he does goes unnoticed. They know they aren’t gonna get around that set of Double Deeezzzz

10. By johnnybluenose on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

well, monday night football game just finished and the nfl with its replacement officials just screwed the packers and this could come back to bite us too by giving a win to the seachickens that they did not earn. the nfl needs to fix this now. this is a joke and the players and coaches are beginning to lose it and it is getting crazy out there, less discipline and more penalties every week. enough already!!!

11. By Chuck 1 on Sep 24, 2012 | Reply

This extraordinary effort by Washington to help a teammate SCORE a touchdown reminds me of Steve Breaston’s similar effort a few years ago to SAVE a touchdown.

12. By Brad Wheeler on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

AndyStandsUp: re-watch that video, do you really think Celek was open before Vick got hit?

13. By AzDesertRat1953 on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

What did I hear in preseason about the Cards don’t have a pass rusher, therefor they can’t do anything on pass plays.

I Agree, we don’t a ‘A’ pass rusher, we have SEVEN pass rushers, Yes Seven players with one sack or more, and this is only Game 3, Are You Kidding Me???
    Teams with a good defense have that many players at the half or end of a season Not in the third game!

Yes, the Seahawks won, Refs were normal for this year, the 49′s are needing help and then there are the Rams, but one thing is for sure.

The Arizona Cardinals are sole owners of FIRST place in the Division.

GO CARDS!!!

14. By CDNelson86 on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

As bad as the calls are becoming, at what point do the replacement reffs just tell the NFL to stick it and walk, leaving them high and dry? They are trying but the NFL is repeatedly putting them in bad situations.

15. By joe67 on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Cardinal,
    I agree. Best Cards D I have ever seen. Too bad we didn’t have something like this in the mid 70′s.
    It does seem like we are getting some breaks, but as I said in an earlier post, we have a WHOLE BUNCH coming to us.

16. By Keith on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Sweeeeet Play! One other note…#11 Fitz could have been penalized for crossing the players box as he ran to congratulate.

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

RE: DWash/Breaston

Ah yes, the Miracle Baby. Good call: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-1/Breastons-Special-Play/fb61d02b-4665-472c-8fe6-d83e944fb6e1

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

CDNelson –

RE: Replacements

If you are a Division III ref and this is probably your only chance ever to work in the NFL, even with the circumstances, you would walk away? I’m thinking no.

19. By D on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Predication and things to do before year end.
    1–Extend Hyphen, Groves, Sanders and Gay. -guessing they all are on 1 yr deals
    2-Make sure other Def coaches know the defense good enough to be DC in case Horton leaves.
    3- Cards finish 9-7 miss wild card spot.
    4- Cards bring back Kolb as Starter
    Areas to draft in the spring:
    Round 1–D. Thomas Left Tackle TN. (Batista and Potter can be tackle backup’s)
    Round 2- S. Taylor RB Stanford. Try to trade Beanie prior to draft for a pick
    Round 3- D. Jones DE UCLA (backup DE-Holiday can’t play forever)
    Round 4- O. Uzzi RG GT. (Synder goes one and done)
    Thanks

20. By bluepitt on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Oh my Gowd!!! you have to read the packers ranking, hahahaha!!!!!

21. By Zach on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

@Darren Urban

Is there any chance you could get Michael Bidwill comments on when a deal is going to get done with the officials. This week was chalk full of poorly officiated games that only culminated in arguably the worst officiated game in NFL history. Seeing that ithe owners have a key role in these negotiations, it would be nice to get President Bidwill’s perspective.

Jerry Jones already provided his…

Thanks,
    from a concerned Cardinal fan that is contemplating boycotting

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Zach –

RE: Bidwill comment

Actually, I’m pretty sure no owners are commenting publicly on the officials negotiations. Jones didn’t say anything, really, if you read the quotes. I’m pretty sure the owners are going to stay hush-hush on this.

23. By Zach on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the response Darren. Fair enough.

That said, I’m glad Darnell Dockett spoke out. Something has to change.

24. By Ditship on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

The most amazing play happened 3 before this one when Rhoads denied D.Jackson access to the endzone. 14 point swing.