• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Cards add fullback Hall

Posted by Darren Urban on September 25, 2012 – 1:02 pm

There has been no word on the status of fullback Anthony Sherman but apparently something happened, because the Cardinals Tuesday added fullback Korey Hall to the roster. Reserve guard Rich Ohrnberger played a snap at fullback at the end of Sunday’s win, so it makes sense something is up with Sherman. I’m sure it will be addressed Wednesday. Hall spent four years with the Packers and last season with the Saints before the Saints cut him at the end of camp this season. Hall not only played with guard Daryn Colledge in Green Bay, but also at Boise State.

To make room for Hall, the Cards cut tackle Pat McQuistan.

The Cards also made a practice squad move, bringing back linebacker Zach Nash, who was with the team in camp but injured most of the time, and releasing linebacker Ricky Elmore.

Tags: , , , ,

57 Responses to “Cards add fullback Hall”

1. By DontTakeLoses on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Sherman made some nice special teams plays Sunday, overshadowing penalty, hope he is ok.

2. By MikeFlorio on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

No Regan….Or Terrance Smith..? What ever happen to the FB we drafted man i cant remmeber his name but, I remember you callin him a hybrid fb….anyways where are the officals taking apps at I really starting to think I can handle that.

3. By MikeFlorio on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Castillo i think his name was

4. By Shane on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Any word on Ryan Williams hobbling off the field Darren?

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Shane –

RE: Ryan Williams

It was just cramps.

6. By Art on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

I want to know why Powell is never active

7. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Art –

RE: Powell

Because when the others aren’t hurt, he’s not a better choice.

8. By georgiebird on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

The offensive backfield will take a big hit if Sherman is hurt.
    A fan of Beanie- but he has looked bad (almost overweight) and even though he is still among the youngest guys on the team- his progress seems to have stalled and now another injury..
    Ryan Williams is a nice kid but he seems to run with too many moving parts- a lot like Hightower. Maybe it’s time to give some new guys a chance.

9. By jocards on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Does anybody think that last night’s blown call that cost the Packers a game will be the tipping point in the negotiations with the real referees? I personally do not. To me though if Roger Goodell really wants to be the great, strong commissioner that he tries so hard to portray to the public than he needs to stand up to the people that write his check persuade them that it is time to end this lockout. The integrity of the shield is suffering and THAT is something that Goodell has always sworn up and down would never happen on his watch. Last night was just one call and there have been instances throughout the first 3 weeks where the officials have been slow, confused and have completely misinterpreted rules…They appear to have no control out there and it is becoming absurd….this is the NFL for goodness sake.

10. By Tim on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Man this sucks. The Sherminator has been a huge part of the limited success we have had pounding the rock so far. And, as previously mentioned, his rock-star special teams play has factored in big. @Darren: what can we expect from Hall?

11. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Tim –

RE: Hall

Right now? Expect a short-term fill-in until Sherman is ready. Assuming Sherman won’t be ready.

12. By Tim on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Darren. Also, what ever happened to Reagan Maui’a? Isn’t he still out there? By picking up Hall are Graves and Whiz indicating they have more confidence in Hall’s relationship with College and his talent more than Maui’a’s knowledge of the scheme? Thx, my man.

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Tim –

RE: Reagan

Reagan has been in and out. I think it’s safe to say the Cards have decided to move on from the back and forth with him.

14. By Jzoully on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Korey Hall was in the middle of a fullback frenzy when the Packers used 3 different running backs with John Kuhn, Quinn Johnson, and Korey Hall. Good signing, this guy is a blockmaster supreme and will be a great fill in for Sherman. And also want a good fullback story read this story, http://www.sunherald.com/2012/09/22/4201249/jorvorskie-lane-changed-his-lifestyle.html
    just a great story.

15. By Corgon on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Sounds strange. The far as I see, the Sherminator’s last play was when Larry caught the TD and there wasn’t any problem with him..

16. By wonderingwhy on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

I am wondering what the heck is going on with beanie, he is always hurt? Didn’t he have durability issues in college too? We need a reliable power back.

17. By Texascard on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Darren I truly respect your opinion but wells is tiptoeing and williams is admittedly scared to reinjure his knee. Lsh is awesome but small. Why not give power 5-7 carries and see if he can spark something in the run game.

18. By Andy Kw on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Will Kolb remain the starting QB or will John Skelton be the starter once again? Do you believe that it is safe to say that the trade of DRC and a 2nd round pick for Kolb was worth it? Even if Skelton is back to full health, would Ken Whisenhunt just stick with Kolb in the pocket because of his amazing improvement and accuracy? And is Darnell Dockett and Adrian Wilson okay for the game against Miami?

19. By john the draft guy on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Alright, I havent had a chance to be on this sight in a while. But here is my opinion of what is going on with the cards.

D Washington has elevated his game the last two weeks and is reaching the level of Willis, Ray Lewis and Urlacker.Yes, those guys have done it year in and year out. But I mean, in terms of Those guys take over games and make plays, and we are watching washington do the same.

There was many people calling for Kerry Rhodes to be released. Thank God the cards didnt listen. In my opinion, he was player of the game.

The Eagles are very good at rushing the passer, but this make shift offensive line did a great job protecting Kolb. Funny, Demetrius Bell for the Eagles struggled against Acho. I think there are a lot of posters who need to appologize to Coach Grimm.

Finally, hats off to McNulty and Miller. Kolb is a different guy out there. He isnt holding the ball, he is stepping up and he is actually going through his progressions and hitting the outlet receiver or throwing the ball away. Kolb seems to get that you can live to play another play. you dont always have to make every play a big play. Miller is putting together a great game plan and it is obvious McNulty is working hard with Kolb. And while we are at it, it has become obvious Kolb is working hard to correct the things he really struggled with. Kolb had so many faults, I never thought he could break his bad habits, but give Kolb and his coaches credit. I am not ready to go Denny Green and crown him, but he is doing what he needs to do to get this team wins.

Bring on the Dolphins

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Andy Kw –

RE: Questions

1. Don’t know right now.
    2. Kolb still needs to remain long term for that to happen.
    3. It’s possible, but Whiz isn’t saying.
    4. Until they practice this week it’s hard to know. Back to it Wednesday.

21. By John C on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

I completely agree with you georgiebird, Ive always loved Beanie but this is ridiculous, he is always injured. I just cannot understand why, at the end of the PHI game when they were so far ahead, they didn’t give some snaps to Powell. LSH was doing absolutely nothing. Just don’t get the logic there.

22. By VctorLimaKilo on Sep 25, 2012 | Reply

Regarding Kolb/Skelton… Why would Whiz fix what ain’t broken right now? As long as Kolb is performing, let him perform. Lord knows we don’t need more QB drama to be a distraction right now.

Happy to see all these guys working so hard and getting the results they deserve! GO CARDS!

23. By cdj on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

i really feel bad for beanie. he really could have been a great rb for us but these injuries are killer i thought hed stay healthier with williams splitting the carries but idk anymore if we may need to move on from him i like him and all and i hope he pulls through

24. By HunterSThompson on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been curious as to ewhy the Cards have not used Sherman more this season so far. Does he have some lingering problem we did not know about, and did it just get worse?

If so, that sucks. With Beanie being turf-toed again I had hopes the Cards would go to a two-back set and use Sherman for what he does best – blast holes for Williams to get through.

The running game is crucial to continued success. I hope the coaches have some creativity brewing in that department….

25. By cardsalltheway on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Art, Georgiebird, Texascard,

Didn’t you see B. Wells and R. Williams run so much better than W. Powell during preseason? What’s the matter with ya’ll? A backup Cardinal RB cannot show up the Cardinal starting(1st and 2nd round) RB’s. For those of you dreaming that W. Powell made Wells and Williams look like High School RB’s comparatively speaking, it was a figment of your imagination and it just didn’t happen.

Wells and R. Williams didn’t need to prove anything, especially R. Williams since he proved it all last year during preseason and told us all we need to know – he’s better than W. Powell end of story for ever and ever Amen.

One of our RB’s cannot be a quick seasonal starter or be hot(Ken W. has already cooled him down) like QB’s, therefore W. Powell will not get the call. It’s better to let the slow injured starters(Wells and R. Williams) play at the beginning of the season because a RB controversy we don’t need.

Anyway, at the very least we wouldn’t want to give W. Powell a chance to show anyone that what they saw in preseason was real OR see his stock rise making him worth more in a trade now would we? A trade that would help the team isn’t needed, we don’t want other teams to covet our players. It’s best to keep W. Powell away from the team on Sunday’s and never let him dress while our RB’s cough, cough, cough, it up.

27th ranked rushing team 87Att 247yards 2.8Avg. per carry 25Long 2TD’s 82.3Game avg. 3Fumbles 3 Fumbles Lost

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

John C –

RE: Powell/Eagles game

Powell was inactive for the Philly game. He couldn’t have come in.

27. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Hunter –

RE: Sherman

Used him more in what regard? Carries? Offense doesn’t use fullback much. That’s not going to change.

28. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: Constant complaining

I’ve said it before and I will say it again: If this team screws it up so much, I have no idea why you remain a fan. If that’s actually how you think of yourself.

I can only hope you have a lot of other things going on in your life that actually bring you joy. Because just based on the interaction we get here, you must be one of the most miserable people on the planet.

29. By brad oneill on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

John the Draft guy- as a big critic of Grimm I have to disagree that it is time to apologize to him. His makeshift line has performed one dimensionally so far, granted they have done an amazing job of protecting the qb we still have yet to have a decent rushing game. I think he definitely has done the best job of his career this year and there is hope (I would not drop him at this point, a different position than i held at the start of this year.) that I have been completely wrong about him but the lack of performance of this line for the past several years speaks for itself.

30. By Texascard on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Wow. That is pretty rough on cardsalltheway. We just think powell could get a carry or two after earning a spot on the team against the odds. He appeared to run hard. Guess I should get a life. P.s. The cards make me happy but I do hate the cowboys.

31. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Texas –

RE: Being rough

If I sent you the hundreds of comments he has made — and I have to see every one — you’d know where I was coming from.

32. By Dynosoar on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway,

Remember Thumper, from Bambi? Well I have a little diferent take from his “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say nothin at all.”

For every negative you have, say three positives. I’ll demonstrate.

Neg = Our running game is suffering.
    Pos = We’re winning without the running game.
    Pos = We’ve allowed the fewest touchdowns of any team.
    Pos = our O-line has given up fewer sacks over 3 games than Aaron Rosgers in the first half of Monday night (and only 1 to the great Seattle Refs, err, Seahawks.)

Not only was that easy, it was fun. Give it a try. I think you’ll like it.

33. By Dynosoar on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

I must qualify the Seattle Refs comment I made. While I think the replacement refs are making mistakes (actually, some of them are huge and I don’t see how they’re standing up to video review), all referees/umpires make mistakes.

The NFL is a much faster game than level 2 or level 3 college where they come from and because of the lockout (I don’t know the issues so I won’t take sides) none of these replacements have peers to help them in their transition to the pro level.

Imagine if the Cardinals cut every player this year and relied entirely on the draft and undrafted players to fill the 53 man roster. How well would they do?

OK so there were two pass interference calls that obviously shouldn’t have been called and one in the endzone that should have (I really want to see Mr. Tate try some of that on our D.)

I get that. I also remember Big Ben being awarded a touchdown with a good foot to spare and it held up under review. Not to mention a Steeler defender launching helmet to helmet with the Miami quarterback already out of bounds, being knocked unconscious and suffering a concussion and no flag being thrown.

There are bad calls at every level of play. I just hope the replacements can learn from their mistakes.

34. By Louisville Card on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

@TexasCard

I agree with Darren and have to applaud him for even posting cardsalltheways vitriol. Just show’s how classy he and the organization are for allowing everyone a forum good and bad to discuss the team.

I get why you’d want to see Powell he did look good in preseason. If you activate powell someone else has to sit and who would you sit? you don’t need 4 rb’s. You’ll see Powell active this week with beanie down i would assume. So lets see what he’s got. The only reason cardsalltheway brings him up too, is that’s the only thing left for him to complain about the team.

35. By Mike in Mesa on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

While I don’t always agree with cardsalltheway I think he makes some valid points here. And he did it quite well. Sarcastically stated. Correct me if I’m wrong Darren but didn’t Powell lead all RBs for the whole league in preseason yardage? Shouldn’t that make him worthy of a look see during the season? So instead of personal attacks, how bout answering his points. Or mine. Reading rah rah fans posts to me is just as tiresome as someone being critical a lot. Do you think the running game is effective right now?

So maybe you can take the time to answer the points made. With the propensity for injuries that our 2 starting Rbs have might it not be a good idea for the Cards to activate Powell and have him ready? If Williams goes down in the game who carries the load? LSH? Seems a no brainer to me.

36. By cdj on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

any place you know of where i can find individual stats for O linemen?? i have no idea where to look and all espn shows is how many games they have played

37. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa, everyone –

RE: Powell points

I won’t argue cardsalltheway didn’t make valid points. It’s not like I don’t post his comments. Just because you ask a question here doesn’t entitle you to a specific answer from me. Getting in my face, metaphorically speaking, and challenging me might be motivation for some people but for me, I’d rather just ignore. I actually have plenty to do besides just come on an answer blog comment questions.

We’ve been considering doing mailbags instead of me answering in the comment section. That makes more sense to me, and frankly, these are the moments where I think it’s time to pull the trigger on that.

In this case, Powell has been practicing since the season started. Did he lead the league in rushing? Yes. Did he mostly do it against defenders that are no longer in the NFL? yes. Someone has to be inactive on game days. If you are activating Powell, you have 4 tailbacks. Seems foolish to me and a waste of a roster spot. And who are you inactivating to make Powell active?

38. By HunterSThompson on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Like I said in my post – use Sherman more as a lead blocker for the backs. All preseason and training camp we watched him do so very effectively (as well as last season). We also read about how both Beanie and Williams loved having him lead the way. Seems to me that is a built-in part of the Cards offense that simply has not been used so far. They hardly need to change.

Through 3 games so far the percentage of running plays the Cards have used Sherman in that role (especially in the first 3 quarters) is extremely low…especially for a team interested in running the ball and helping rookie tackles with chip blocks. Sherman has also shown he can actually catch the ball out of the backfield pretty well.

Look – not complaining, just wondering going forward. I think everyone would agree that the Cards need to get the offense rolling even better if they are going to continue to win some tough future games. IMO losing/not using Sherman limits their potential. With Beanie out as well, the running game looks to suffer even more. Hopefully the coaches can create some openings through schemes….

39. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

cdj –

RE: Stats for O-linemen

I’m not sure what stats you would have. The NFL doesn’t keep anything official.

40. By HunterSThompson on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren – for what it is worth (considering these are the first posts I have done on this site), reading this blog for the past couple of seasons has been more enjoyable and attractive in part BECAUSE you actually respond to questions the fans have.

Maybe a mailbag is better, maybe not. Just my two cents….,

41. By cdj on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

@Darren i was mainly looking for sacks allowed by individual players but thanks anyway keep up the good work Darren

42. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

cdj –

RE: Sacks allowed

To be honest, not sure of public free site that has those. Anyone?

43. By Dynosoar on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

cdj,

you will need to copy paste, but this will give you O-line stats, not individual players (I don’t see how one could compile that one easily.)

I can never find this page through nfl.com; instead, Google search “quarterback passer rating” and go to the one from titled “NFL Stats: by Player Category” at nfl.com. It will be on the category tab, switch to Team Category tab and then the third window from the left (category), second window is for offense or defense.

I hope this will give you at least close to what you’re wanting. Play with the page, there’s all sorts of nifty time wasting stats pages available. Sortable by player, position, team or by a specific stat (like sacks or interceptions).

Your fellow Cardinals fan.
    Dynosoar

44. By Mike in Mesa on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Excuse me but who got in your face? Cardsalltheway? He addressed his comment to 3 other people. Looks like you got in his face. Of course I can understand this may be cumulative. If the in your face was directed to me, I don’t see it. Nobody personally attacked you. His comments were directed at the organization. If you don’t agree, tough. Grow a thicker skin, answer valid points and move on. Or don’t answer, I guess thats your perogative. The give and take between opposing opinions is what makes these blogs fun, as long as it doesn’t get personal. Its funny how preseason is supposed to give the players a chance to show their stuff and when they do a lot of people fall back on, well they just did it against 3rd and 4th stringers. Like they are all just chopped liver. In my opinion Powell should be moving into the #2 spot for a couple of weeks to see what he can do. He earned it. Of course I’m not sure if the rushing woes are the RBs or the O-Lines fault or both. Do you have an opinion on which might be the problem there? Cards are 3-0 which is great but I think they need to get the running game fixed and fast or the success won’t continue. Lest anyone forget the Bills started what 5-0 or 6-0 last year and missed the playoffs. If the Cards can get the running game going they could be a powerhouse.

45. By dan on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Trade Beanie………..he’s useless.

46. By Cobra on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Give em hell Darren:

It wouldn’t hurt if some of you do your own research for simple questions. Might I suggest “GOOGLE” to start! There are times you may have a valid question. By all means ask, but maybe keep it brief and to the point without rambling on about nothing. If not, looks like this blog is going into the mailbag, and that would suck.

Welcome back Alfonso,

Go Cards!

47. By Dennis on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Beanie out again is a real blow to our running game. He really hasn’t been healthy I believe since his Junior year in College. He just can’t get through a full season and that’s bad because I think he has a lot of ability. Powell and Smith I don’t know if they are the answer. LSH I think is best used in draw plays and screens, just doesn’t hit the hole (if any) quick enough, much better in space.
    Ryan Williams is our best back, as long as he stays healthy. Just my opinion.

48. By philly cards on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Beanie is on ir.is that why the musical chairs. You powell fans will get all u asked for

49. By Sir60 on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

The head coach makes the decisions concerning who plays or not. Do you think that checking this blog to see what the fans think is something he would do? Do you think Darren has any influence in Whizenhunts decisions?

50. By Cobra on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Sir60:

This has cardsalltheyway written all over it. Another AKA.

philly cards:

Powell fans will get all they asked for. He gets to play maybe. Then he learns what it’s like to run against a real 1st team defense. It will probably be hard going for him, but I hope he does well.

51. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Mike,

Quick name me the preseason rushing leaders over the past 10 seasons. Then tell me how they are doing now… EXACTLY! Nothing against Powell but when his number is called he’ll get to show his stuff and with beanie on IR it looks like that’ll be soon. There is a reason you aren’t an NFL coach and Whiz is, cause you are reactionary and have a finger on the panic button all the time. You are probably the guy that traded Tom Brady for Cam Newton after week 2 in your fantasy league too cause “Tom can’t throw all of a sudden”. Get you hand off the panic button bro… We’re 3-0!

52. By Sir60 on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Cobra

Maybe I wasn’t clear. I am just trying to say that it does not matter how much some fans rant and rave, it will not change a thing. “I want Powell” or “Start Kolb” or any number of other things that Darren or any of us can do anything about. Those postors should join the Cardinals message board where they can rant and rave to their hearts content and actually get, in most cases, an instant response from someone opposed or of like mind. And no, I am not cardsalltheway.

53. By cardsalltheway on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

To those showing W. Powell and myself support, Thank you! I’m willing to cut Darren some slack even though he for the first time I’m aware of acknowledged that I might have a point, everyone has a bad day now and then. My comment was in response to Darren’s…
    “By Darren Urban
    Art –
    RE: Powell
    Because when the others aren’t hurt, he’s not a better choice.”

…in the way he doesn’t see that W. Powell could possibly have ever been “a better choice.”

Darren’s summation on W. Powell is that his yards were mostly gained against players not playing anymore. I ask, didn’t R. Williams get his line-up spot based on last year’s preseason and his 2nd round draft position because he certainly didn’t look better than W. Powell this preseason and hasn’t done much of anything the first 3 games in 2012.

I’m not saying W. Powell will be a success but he certainly looked the best this year and deserved to start(or at least get to some plays/carries) the first game of the year when Wells and Williams weren’t ready. Sadly, the gate was shut on our best horse early this year and now it might take it some time to get back on track.

54. By cardsalltheway on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

“constant complaining”
    That’s a matter of perception, I just want the best for the team and players or those most deserving.

55. By john the draft guy on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Wow Darren,

The Cards are playing well. We have the best defense in the league and the makeshift Oline is protecting Kolb, who by the way, is playing well.

So we have decided to argue that Powell should get carries?? Really?

First, coming into the game, you wouldnt have 4 rbs active. Beanie is our power back, Williams is a nice change of pace guy who has a little wiggle to him and LSH is a third down back. Going into a game, with these 3 different skilled players is smart.

The cards kept Powell because he has talent. It looks like he will get his chance with Beanie going on to injured / reserved.But consider this, does Powell know how to pick up blitzes? Does he know his patterns out of the backfield? Can you put him on the field if he isnt sure of the game plan? As a runner, there is a world of difference from regular season vs preseason. Those are things we dont know. It seems silly to blast this coaching staff over things you dont know.

Look at the Eagles game, when we needed some first downs at the end of the game, Ryan Williams picked them up and finished with 83 yrds. The cards are 3-0.

I have never seen more people fight for 3rd and 4th string guys. From Bartel to Powell, they are 4th string guys for a reason.

56. By clssylssy on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

Good pickup to fill inn for Sherman. I think everybody was impressed with the way Powell played in preseason but I have faith in Coach Whisenhunt that he will play when the time is right…my suspicion is that Coach has been “saving” him back to be sprung as a surprise when our opponents feel we are vulnerable and have forgotten we have him on the squad. I see where LSH is also on the injured list, which is pretty shocking at first look but also realize that most of these guys will play…even Dockett, can’t really imagine him sitting out a game short of a limb amputation! So far the QB situation seems to have resolved itself, as I figured it would, and wish fans would give it a rest…the players seem to be comfortable and I saw Skelton on the sideline as excited for Kolb as a kid on Christmas morning so all the tripe among our arm chair experts is really getting old. I love the sense of oneness this team has and feel it is a tribute to our leadership both coaching staff, captains and veteran players. Hope everybody heals quickly as there is still much work to be done as we continue moving forward. Good job Darren–you do a GREAT job at a thankless task! GO CARDS! FLY HIGH!

57. By Buck on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway – It amazes me that you feel that you always know more and are a better expert than all of the coaches