Beyond Beanie

Posted by Darren Urban on September 26, 2012 – 3:01 pm

Now that Beanie Wells is out for at least eight weeks (seven games, because of the bye) after suffering a severe turf toe injury, the Cards must find a way to move on in the backfield, and they are beat up. Now only is Wells out, but LaRod Stephens-Howling (groin) and fullback Anthony Sherman (hamstring) both sat out Wednesday’s practice. Everyone waiting to see William Powell is going to get a chance, and we’re also going to see Ryan Williams with a pretty big role (I talked to Williams and will have more in a homepage story later).

I know there will be some Beanie backlash — I’ve already seen some — but if you are hurt you are hurt, and if you are hurt enough to go on IR, it’s serious. Coach Ken Whisenhunt called it a 6-to-8 week injury. It evens things out a little for the Miami game, since Reggie Bush is iffy because of his own knee injury. Wells has a torn ligament, and it’s hard to push off. There was a reason he hit the ground on his final carry. He just couldn’t go.

(Here’s a great explanation of the turf toe injury from Kent Somers.)

– Even backup fullback Jim Dray (knee) had to sit out Wednesday. The Cards are beat up a little — it’ll be interesting to see how they deal with this week, and then next week when it’s short before playing a Thursday night game in St. Louis. (Here’s the full injury report.)

– Quarterback John Skelton was limited and said he is doing much better, but still isn’t all the way back. No decisions have to be made yet.

– Whisenhunt will appear on tonight’s “Inside the NFL” show on Showtime. It begins at 9 p.m. Arizona time.

Tags: , , , ,

28 Responses to “Beyond Beanie”

1. By Nathan on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Very sorry to hear about Beanie’s injury and I hope he has a speedy recovery. He was a warrior last year and I was looking forward to seeing more of the same this season. It does open up more opportunity for Williams and I hope to see him continue to improve. I’m also very curious to see how many touches Powell gets and how much success he has. The running game was already struggling, so this definitely could be a setback. Hopefully the other guys can step up!

2. By mike hadzinski on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

he is a joke dude is a bum im from the 216 and no 1 in cleveland would have drafted this flatfoot girly man lol man.. Darren i think you should make an article up and compare A GIRLY VS A GROWN ASS MAN Refferinb to when-Q- Had a special shoe made when he tore his ligaments they dont make them like they used 2 hu ???????

3. By D on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Like I have said many times this year, I think after the season, Cards will look to move Beanie. Yes he may have only had missed 5 games before this situation, but he constantly can’t finish games, you can’t make the club from the tub.
    He will have one year left and still will be very young, I think a team like Cincy would give up a 4th or 5th round pick. This will be a great chance for Powell to see if he can make it in this league or not. My hope is that AZ will use a second round pick on a RB this spring…maybe a S. Taylor from Stanford.

4. By Dynosoar on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Running Backs have a short life in the NFL for a reason and it’s not because they aren’t tough, it’s because they’re subjected to people like Docket, Campbel and Washington hitting them hard all day.

A lot of people (myself included) want to see what Powell can provide, well let’s see.

The best teams, the ones that become a dynasty and win championships are the teams with the best depth. The teams that when the starters are injured and everyones sore, there’s someone that has their back.

Listen to Washington, he was sore on that fumble return, but knew if he didn’t get there in time Sanders wouldn’t make 6 points. He had his back and now Powell will have Beanie’s back.

We as fans need to have our teams backs especially when they’re injured. How many of us could take any of our defensive backs driving us into the ground ten or fifteen carries?

Let’s support our team. The best teams respond well to injuries, I’ve been really believing 8-0 and thinking 9-0 is possible, I guess we’ll see what we’re made of.

New Orleans in February, This I Believe.
    Get well Beanie and everyone else.

5. By Cobra on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

mike hadzin{ski}:

Take your attitude back to where you came from. My guess is Cleveland. How are those BROWNEYES doing for ya? Aren’t they skiing like, 0-3!

Get healthy Well’s, others have your back.

6. By johnnybluenose on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

this could be a blessing in disguise. it gives wells a chance to really get healthy and it gives us a chance to see what powell can do and maybe even alfonso smith. i just hope our running backs can block for our quarterback. we can win games with our defense and our special teams but i worry about our defense having to spend too much time on the field. our offense, whatever its make-up, must find a way to sustain drives. beating the fins and starting four and zero would be great. let’s get started guys!!

7. By Kreedos on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Would had been nice to have Wells be a part of the run for the Cards…Get well Beanie …he’s only missed five games in his career and he plays thru injuries… must be some serious turf toe!

8. By Dynosoar on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

I’ve searched and can’t find anything about season starts.

(Cobra, I’d have searched anyway and so apreciate your comment to that affect in the last post. I don’t want a mailbag, what fun would that be and Darren, I love your writing, blogging, comments and answers. I especially appreciate there’s a place I can go and know we’ll get answers and they won’t all be PC, rather they’ll be honest. I also still think you’d be the best choice for a power ranking for those same qualities mentioned above. I know I swore off them, should’ve resisted. I mean really, Pittsburgh’s 14th and Oakland’s 28th. The real Fantasy Football is the Power Polls.)

So Darren, when was the last time we were 4-0, 5-0?

I enjoy everyones comments here, may not agree but hey, I suspect not all of you always agree with me either so it’s all good. I’ve been eating tuna all week and I’m getting a real taste for fish. The cans don’t say dolphin safe so I’m preparing.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Records

The Cardinals started 7-0 in 1974. So that will take care of the “last time” questions for quite a few wins.

10. By georgiebird on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Sad to see Beanie get nicked up again. BW is a productive back but may not ever become an outstanding back-although he’s still a very young.
    My concern is with RW. Cards are banking on the Philly game to have cured his fumbling- I don’t see it. Ryan’s running style seems more conducive to being a 3rd down back-like LSH. If the Cards give RW the ball 15-20 times a game, I hope he can protect it.

11. By Juan on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Williams will carry the load till Beanie makes a speedy recovery, we’ll see what we all hoped Williams will be, what Coach Whisenhunt saw in him. We believe in the defense, There isn’t a better one in the league.Calais Campbell, Darnell Dockett, Dan Williams, Daryl Washington, Paris Lenon, Sam Acho , O’ Brian Schofield, Kerry Rhodes, Adrian Wilson. Patrick Peterson, Jamell Fleming, there is no denying that, but we need a solid running game to take the pressure off the QB to open up our Beloved LARRY!! Ryan Williams shoulders are the ones we are resting on.

12. By mancosman on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

This could be a good thing. By the time the 11th game kicks off, Wells will be fresh for the final 5 regular season games plus play-off games, whrn opposing teams are a little beat up. Williams and the Shermanator will rise. no worries.

13. By clssylssy on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Holy cats! I just read a list of all the guys who didn’t practice because of injuries and am wondering if we will have enough guys left to put on the field Sunday…lol!
    Just as our killer defense is getting started we have some of our major players sidelined as well as our TEs and RBs! I am anxious to see William Powell get some playing time and we have a wealth of talent on the practice squad but they are going to need to take reps with the starters if we are going to keep our no loss record:) I would hate to lose to Dansby and the Phins and remember the beating we gave them last time they were here (I can still see a dejected Johnny Depp sitting with a dazed look on his face as his team was destroyed). Are you planning to do a injury report or status? I didn’t realize we lost so many of our guys in the Eagles game but know it was a bone crusher….have to wonder how the Eagles are fairing this week as well?

14. By Rio on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

William Powell is so much better than Wells, we are so lucky to lose Beenie for 8 weeks, now Powerll can show his stuff.

Coach Belacheck said Powell was our best running back, i also said during pre season he would be great this year.

Ryan and Powell makes us a real threat in the running game.

Wells runnning 200 mph and a player sticks his little finger out and touches his leg and Beanie goes down so easlily.

15. By Texascard on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren. I’m sorry did not mean to offend or cause trouble. I tend to root for the underdog (kinda what makes me love the cards) so I like powell. Don’t want to see him replace starters or trying to bad mouth Williams or wells. I think they have had some lingering injury issues to start the season. Wells has been very good to cards even when they were very bad. I respect that and him for it. But something seems wrong for both of them. Just would like to see if we have a spark in our fourth rb. Please no mailbag. I know we are a headache. Whiz took us to the promised land and we are just all so desperate to go back. Very emotional. If it makes u feel any better I like laron byrd too. But that’s a different story. Rise up red sea.

16. By infitzwetrust on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

All though he is are “starter” I don’t think his loss will have that much of an impact. He never really had a full solid season. Thank st Louis for his “good” year last year. Williams, your the heir to the throne.

17. By Chuck 1 on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Because he appears to be prone to injuries, I’m becoming more skeptical about Beanie’s ability to be a dependable RB long term for the team.

One can say that he has only missed five games (since he’s been a Cardinal?).
    However, ……………..

As another poster has suggested, I favor trading him for a pick or picks next year.

18. By Dynosoar on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Thanks.

19. By rufus on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Any chance of bringing back Tim Hightower now? Wow, glad the regular refs will be back. No boycott for me!

20. By Darren Urban on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Rufus —

RE: Hightower

No, I do not expect Hightower to return. They signed Alfonso, so there won’t be another signing unless there are further injuries.

21. By Kevin S on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

I’ve always liked Beanie. But other than Ryan W in the Eagles game, our running game has been nowhere to be found this year. If (and this is a big if) Powell performs well with RW and the team continues to do well, could this be a season where we look back and say that two early injuries to key offensive players (Skelton and Beanie) actually ended up working to the team’s benefit because they allowed others to step in and shine? What if… two of the greatest and at the same time most vexing words in sports. I still wonder, without Mo Lewis’ hit in 2001 on Bledsoe, when (if ever) would the NFL have seen Tom Brady in a starting role? It wasn’t like he was an Andrew Luck-type prospect who was expected to start, just a 6th round pick.

22. By Evan on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

Don’t want to see anyone hurt, but Beanie appears to need a break. He’s not punishing defenders. He’s not finding open lanes. He’s falling down far too easily. Like anything, to be truly successful, it must be with a driving passion. Hopefully Beanie comes back 100% and with a renewed sense of purpose. Nice guys should finish first…

23. By Rugbymuffin on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

Get well soon, Beanie. We are going to need you.

Sucks. Solid back that really runs with power. Cardinals are going to miss him more than most think, IMO.

24. By Louisville Card on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Sorry to hear about beanie, but any news on Wilson will he be back this week?

25. By Darren Urban on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: Wilson

Don’t know. My guess is we won’t know until Sunday.

26. By Ray on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

Can’t get to the Somers link anymore, they want $$ to access the site as of this week! That stinks.

27. By mike hadzinski on Sep 29, 2012 | Reply

Dyno

You Must BE 1 OFF those trashy family members hu????

not browns fan either girl cards fan since 91, Tom TUPA YOU MAD NOWWWWW LOL