Dolphins aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 30, 2012 – 8:01 pm

A short week starts in as good of a way as possible. Let’s put it that way.

What do you say? Even coach Ken Whisenhunt’s opening statement acknowledged there was so many areas to correct that he wasn’t going to try and hit on them all. But the Cards won. I’m not sure how – it was hard to believe the Hartline 80-yard score wasn’t a backbreaker, and the Dolphins certainly thought it would be – but it wasn’t.

Kevin Kolb had a couple of shaky moments. But being down on the field, to see that dart he threw to Andre Roberts for the game-tying touchdown, it looks even more impressive up close. On fourth down, no less … just another step forward. No he can’t throw the end-zone pick. He knows it, Whiz knows it, we all know it. But he overcame it. So did all the Cards. Unreal.

4-0.

– The Cardinals missed Darnell Dockett today, sitting with an injured hamstring, but safety Adrian Wilson returned with a vengeance after missing one game. Wilson had a team-best 10 tackles, a sack, two tackles for loss, two quarterback hits, a forced fumble, three pass deflections and almost had an incredible diving interception until replay stole it from him. With everything that happened today, it’d be easy to lose sight of that performance. But you can’t.

– Patrick Peterson had a miserable night returning punts. He averaged just 4.5 yards a return. He was charged with three fumbles, two on one return (although he fortunately recovered them all). He fair-caught a punt inexplicably at his own 3-yard line, and thank goodness for Dave Zastudil it didn’t hurt the Cards.

“I was pressing a little bit today, the ball was dropping a little faster,” Peterson said. “I was trying to hurry up and get the ball in my hands and try and take off. I wasn’t patient today. I definitely wasn’t myself in the punt returns, but that won’t happen again. I told the return team, that’s my fault. We’ve got 12 more games to get to the end zone and make it right.”

– The Cards got everyone involved in the passing game Sunday. Fitz was targeted 15 times – 8 catches for only 64 yards, but a score – and Michael Floyd even had four grabs. Roberts has played excellent football, with 118 yards. Now, Kolb can’t get sacked eight times. Some of that was him holding the ball, and some was the offensive line. Rookie right tackle Bobby Massie was overwhelmed by Cam Wake in the first half, although he did better in the second half (Wake still had 4½ sacks.) Mostly, though, when there is time, I still think Kolb looks pretty good in the pocket.

– That end-zone pick, though. Can’t happen. “A terrible decision, a terrible throw,” Kolb said. He understands.

– William Gay was picked on a lot at cornerback. He stayed in playing nickel, but Greg Toler was taking snaps as the guy opposite Peterson in both base and nickel. Jamell Fleming was the odd man out in nickel.

– The flip side of the pass game: Ryan Williams doesn’t look like he is part of the no-huddle package, which the Cards used a bunch Sunday. The Cards had 15 rush attempts and, with sacks added in, 56 pass plays. Williams finished with just 26 yards on 13 carries. If you would have told me that would equate to a win, I don’t think I would’ve believed you.

– Kicker Jay Feely got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on a kickoff that was downed in the end zone to start the second half. It could have been bad, but the Cards forced a punt. Feely said the Cards had planned to use him to help block on a Dolphins blocker if he was used a certain way. On a kickoff, Feely is allowed to hit the player in the back if necessary. Feely did and was flagged.

“The ref said, ‘Well it’s a touchback, you shouldn’t have done that,’ ” Feely said. “I said ‘I didn’t know it was a touchback, I was running to the block.’ I was just glad they didn’t get a score.

– That’s 500 wins all-time for the franchise.

– There were mistakes, obviously, but Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill looks like the real deal to me (and yes, I’m looking at you John the Draft Guy.)

– The Cardinals, per Elias Sports Bureau, are now 10-214-1 all-time when trailing by at least 13 points at halftime. That underscores the occasion.

– The last time the Cards came back down at least 13 points at the half was Sept. 12, 1999 at Philadelphia. Heck, that was before I was covering this team. (h/t to Mark Dalton and Randall Liu for those last two goodies.)

– Brian Hartline’s 253 yards receiving was not an all-time high for a Cards’ opponent. Anthony Allen had 255 against the Cards in 1987? Don’t know Anthony Allen? Well, he was a replacement player during the 1987 strike, crossing the picket line in that game against the then St. Louis Cardinals. He was done when the regular players returned, but actually made the Redskins the following year.

– Gotta keep propping punter Dave Zastudil. Nine punts for a net of 47.3? Seriously? So, so huge.

A wild game. Now comes a trip to play the Rams where the Cards have dominated but where the Cards usually have had a week to prepare. Not as much time now – but it’s so much easier after a win.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

117 Responses to “Dolphins aftermath”

1. By scubasteve12 on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

I think the cards thought this would be an easy game. Didnt see the effort in the first half.

2. By sarah on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

( John the draft guy ) , who is that do tell ?

3. By Don Zerbst on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

This was definitely not the Cards best performance, but there were definitely moments of greatness…Kerry Rhodes interception in overtime was the best play of the game for me because it was the one that led to our win. GREAT TO BE 4-0! GO CARDS!!!

4. By Donttakelosses on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Walk in the park.

5. By Chuck 1 on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

A weakness that appeared in the Preseason returned: Questionable secondary coverage. Tannehill passing for oodles of yards???

Still only three Interceptions this season for KK. Considering the rest of the QBs in the NFL, that’s about average.

The Cards are living on the edge. Barely beat the Seahawks, Patriots and ‘Fins.
    Wins are wins, but could be 1-3.

Some things need to be fixed.

6. By juan on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Dockett need to be playing against STL. We need him and CC to pressure the QB

7. By infitzwetrust on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

The dolphins have a GREAT O line. That was the difference maker. The reason why it was such a dog fight was due to the GREAT protection on the dolphins part. Hats of to the Miami o line…

8. By Mexican CardsFan on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Awesome win… Can’t get a lot of opportunities to watch my team since I’m from Mexico but I’m really glad that the few games I get to watch are this ones… Love the team, love the D, love the way they’re playing right now…

Cheers for Kolb. I really think everybody was overreacting to his awful first season, but, hey, I’m sure he’s goit it on him, guy just needed some time, I think he surely con go up from now. I still don’t think he’s going to be a Superstar or a Brady-esque QB, but he definitely can be an above average.

Can’t wait till thursday.
    I salute all of the cards fans. Would love to be there at U of Phx soon.

9. By al bush on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

8 sacks almost all due to tackle position.Whiz must help protect these guys or when the tough part of the schedule comes around, SF ATL,Minn, even Saint Louis, we will realy be in trouble.Why not line up in a max protect formation every time .

10. By sqhead on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Mike Miller will hopefully not be here next season. Some of the worst play calling ever. He needs to look up the word “adjust”. Glad they won though:)

11. By cardsalltheway on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

“Whiz knows it, we all know it. But he overcame it. So did all the Cards. Unreal. 4-0.”

I agree it’s awesome, so will you now stop questioning whether I’m a real fan or not? I have never said otherwise, why don’t you question others like Sarah who cheers for the other team? The hypocrisy!

Darren, I’ve never crossed the line by questioning your personal life so why do you question the life(mine) of fans?

12. By Steve W. on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Way to go, Cards! It wasn’t the prettiest of wins by any stretch of the imagination, but 4-0 is a great place to be, no matter how you get there. Gotta say that a couple years ago, I can’t listen to the game anymore after that 80 yard TD pass by Miami, because I knew damn well the Cards were done. But it seems in the past season and this one, I just know our team stands a great chance of pulling off the win in the final minutes of the game, no matter the odds against it.

Bring on St. Louis, and let’s see our Cards get to that 5-0 mark. How great would that be? Heck, how great would it be to face the 49ers on Monday night in a few weeks still undefeated? With the schedule we’re facing, I think we have a good chance of seeing that!

13. By Cynicalogre on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Cardiac Cards ver. 2.0. Great win on a day they didn’t play their best. Rams looked good against the seahawks today. Gonna be a barnburner Thur. night. Go Cardinals !!!!!

14. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Sarah –

RE: John the draft guy

He knows. He’s a commenter here.

15. By blaxabbath on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

Nice to see Roberts’ performance this season. He seems to really appreciate being No. 2 to Fitz and learning from him. Fitz brings a great attitude to the team and Roberts seems like a great example of the younger guys buying in. Here’s hoping Roberts continues to see success blending with the offense.

I’d have to check my first edition Big Red History, but I think this may have, statistically, been Doucet’s best game to date. Do you see Early or Floyd emerging as the no. 3 receiver in this group (ignoring that Kolb does appreciate hitting the TEs)?

16. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Cardsalltheway –

RE: Questioning

I never questioned if you were a real fan. I questioned why you were a fan if this team only seemed to bring you frustration or sadness.

17. By Mark in Chandler on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

All of the worries from the beginning of the year all in one game. OL looked horrible and over matched at times. Running game was MIA. Defense looked confused a lot. PP looked snake bitten in punt return. Kolb throws 2 INT and one is on the goal line. No way they should have won. It should have been a blow out. When you speak highly of a punter in post-games reviews it usually isn’t good news.

I was worried about this game. Cards riding high playing a team that is solid even though thier record doesn’t indicate it- all the makings of let-down game. Some how they managed to pull out a win. Incredible.

ps. I am heavy into the draft (my wife would say obsessed) althoough I do not have a fancy handle like John the Draft Guy but I would have agreed with John that Tannehill was over rated when we was drafted. Qbs are always over ratted in the draft because of the importance of the position. Every team is hoping to find that diamond in the rough that will vault them into super-bowl contention. That was true of Tannehill IMO. I still say lets wait a year or two before we judge him, but he sure looked good against the Cards unimpressive defense.

18. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

blax –

RE: Doucet

Early has had much better games than today. 6-85-2 in the Green Bay playoff game, if memory serves (I should look it up but I’m getting close to shutting it down here).

19. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Mark in Chandler –

RE: John the draft guy/Tannehill

To the contrary, that was my shout out to the one guy who was selling Tannehill hard before the draft. He wanted the Cards to trade up for him.

20. By Matthew on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Well, some thoughts on this game are 1. Idk what happened to our defense from last week, but whoever took them please return 2. Kolb is looking better with some great throws 3. Darren do you believe that today’s defensive struggles where just from taking the Dolphins to lightly?

21. By georgiebird on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Tough game but Cards came up with the big plays at the end- there are a lot of playmakers on this team.
    There was a lot in the game that was unacceptable such as the big pass plays against us especially on 3rd down.
    But as a long time fan, I’m seeing a lot of good things not only on the field but on the sidelines. Coaches are talking with players and players are conversing with one another. I get the feeling the guys are into the game and the coaches are busting it to make adjustments to get an edge on the opposition.
    As a fan, it’s quite clear that the coaches and players are on the same page and just as important there seems to be a number of talented guys on the field.
    Once again, kudos to Whiz, Horton and Grimm for developing a very exciting team- Whiz and Horton have surprised me, in a positive way, thru the 1st qtr of the season.

22. By Jason Marcus on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Great game as usual. I thought Kolb was great, he needs to start,no more.Qb battle bs, this guy was kicked hard when he was down by everyone, including myself. Oh how the tides have suddenly turned this is a great year so far so good GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Matthew –

RE: Defense

We’ll see. Dolphins had a good gameplan. They get some credit there.

24. By Mark on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren,Do You Know If The Ram’s Game Will Be Televised Locally? Thanks

25. By azfiremagoo on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Agree whole heartedly with this. Seahawks we abused sweezy with middle blitzes. NE was rather unsettled along the line and the Eagles had third string LT and backup center so again middle blitzes. First three games were slightly skewed. Tough win and at St Louis will be tough. 4-0 feels good but lots of work to be done.

26. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Mark –

RE: Rams game

I do believe it is on TV. Locally it is on Ch. 5 as well as NFL Network.

27. By cardsalltheway on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Why:
    That’s funny, since you say you’ve read hundreds or thousands etc..of my comments then you should know. Duh! Go ahead, tell me about what I said about “like father like son” or something similar? The NFL and Cardinals have given “sadness” and/or “frustration” to many fans so please stop attacking ME! I think you do this to bring more readers to your blog so please stop using me! It’s getting OLD!

28. By Cobra on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren and John the draft guy:

Re: Tannehill:

Cards 4-0. Dolphins 1-3. I was impressed by his performance though. I think he grew up alot today for a rookie QB. Nice game Kolb, way to hang in there when the OL threw you under the bus!

29. By cardsalltheway on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Cameron Wake had 4 sacks against us, how can this happen? I’ve got an idea or two but I’ll save them for later. They have to do with coaching or lack of it/giving others a chance. If Levi Brown had never been injured would we still have less QB sacks and if B. Wells/R. Williams hadn’t been injured…much to be seen and/or read concerning this…and W. Powell even though others like to be shhhhh…

30. By theoriginalcardsfan on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

William Gay wasn’t very good in PIT, and it’s obvious he’s not very good in AZ. I’d like to see Fleming get his shot in the rotation, and more Toler please over Gay.

31. By ken on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Way to go cards,blood pressure still up but what a game. Cards 4-0 who would of thunk. I love it.

32. By johnwimmer on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

The Cards already have 1/2 of their win total from last season… keep it going

33. By Kevin S on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Always great to eke out a win when you don’t play your best. The Kolb INT was obviously a bad pass but it should’ve been first and goal on the 1 — how do the refs not see the blatant push-off of Fitz when the entire play is designed around him and it’s basically him and a defender by themselves in the end zone? (And what about that PI call on Toler on a key 3rd and 14 — just after the Wilson pick got overturned? Even the announcer said immediately after watching the play live that it was going against Hartline.) Guess we can go back to complaining about the real refs instead of cheering for them.

Powell didn’t get to do much, but fumbling the opening kickoff was not a good start… good thing we recovered. Would’ve been sweet if he had got past the kicker on that last return. For all those clamoring to see him, though, I don’t think that if Beanie and Ryan are unable to get it done, that Powell is going to be the answer.

BTW, if that were Skelton who led that last drive in regulation, all his fans would be talking about how great he is in the 4th quarter, etc. and the terrific leadership and poise he showed when leading the team to a come-from-behind win. 3 TD’s and 2 INT’s for Kolb — I immediately thought of the SF game last year where Skelton did the same (plus losing a fumble) and people were talking about him like it was the Second Coming. So I hope Kolb gets some similar credit. 84.0 passer rating for the game — not stellar but above average, and more impressive when you don’t have a running game and the opponent knows you’re going to be passing.

34. By johnwimmer on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Big Red already has 1/2 of the win total from last season.

35. By MRCUCU on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren. Great job with the blog as usual. Any news of injured Cards out of this game? With next game on Thursday, I hope not.

36. By AzDesertRat1953 on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Wow, what a game! Now that’s the Old Cards, i don’t like it. I ran out of Meds trying to keep Calm….. Good thing I didn’t Drive.
    I forgot how OT was with the Cards, should have remembered. Have more Meds on Hand!

4 and O an’t that Something!

I’m going to PassOut Now.

GO CARDS!!

37. By Cobra on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

One more thing. Toler had a nice game. Gay got torched time and time again. Something has to change there.

38. By Darren Urban on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Mrcucu -

RE: injuries

Nothing new was announced.

39. By Daerick on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

Man some of the fellow Cardinals fans know nothing about football. Kolb played a good game, not great but good. You take away the two picks and holy crap it was great. Yet I still read people saying, throw in the over rated, inaccurate John Skelton, Just because he has a stronger arm and he looks like big Ben. Will you just watch the game, watch how Kolb now steps up in the pocket, and watch how the O line gave him no help, but still performed. Oh! And How about we actually get a run game going. I guarantee you that if we can get to O line to perform better in both pass and rush blocking than Kolb wont have to throw as much as he does, and the interceptions with soon disappear. Draft a good OL player next year, probably a guard cause we should have Levi back and hopefully Bobby developes. Our Guards are veterans anyways and could teach a young guard some things

40. By bluepitt on Sep 30, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway,
    Ask any one in here, I can get purty crapy about the Cards, but bro you have nutn good to say EVER. I hope you only bring that side in here, because if you live life like that……………….! Just being rea,l Darren has spanked me several times in here and I understand why and take my spankings with a grain of salt! If I say bad crap then im inviting people to say bad crap about me and or my opinions.Tiz what it tiz!!!!!

Great game, I think Wells presence is going to be missed on the goal line! I dont think it would have even been a game if that dude would have got called for pushing fitz out of the way on the INT…Your thoughts on that D?

41. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Everyone seems surprised with the 4-0 record, but with the easy early schedule (minus the unexpected NE win) should this be a surprise, IYO, Darren?

42. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Will this be the first Thursday night game since the Philly debacle back around the Super Bowl season?

43. By Eazy E on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

What a game! I’m Back Cardinal Nation for the Aftermaths and all.

Offense:
    Kolb I must admit for only this game and Philly, it seems like he’s doing better. Kolb was 29-48, 324 yards, 3TDs, and 2 HORRIBLE PICKS. The first half, he and the offense looked clunky as hell and you do have to give the Fish D credit also. He and the offense looked a hell of alot better with the no-huddle and base in the 2nd half. But, while he was good down the stretch, I, We, can’t ignore those awful picks. The first one Sean Smith was glued to Larry and on the 2nd, Larry was basically out of bounds and Sean is a very good corner too and he made 2 excellent plays on the ball, but Kolb forced both, poor throws. The running game really can’t get going because our O-Line just isn’t good and that’s why I can’t criticize Kolb or Skelton too much with regards to that, especially Kolb since I been on his butt since day 1 because of his poor play at QB. Ryan had 13 carries for 26 yards and Willie had 2 carries for 2 yards. I don’t know if its Russ or the players or a combination of both, but we just can’t get going in the running game really and in pass protection. I do know its hard as hell to find a good front 5. Another player who has thoroughly impressed me when I had a weekly criticism for him almost all of last year is Dre. Andre is playing his butt off, another 6 catches, 118 yards, and 2 TDs both huge. The QB play improving some helps alot too because we we’re terrible at QB last year with Kolb when he played, at least Skelton was younger as a QB than Kolb and won games and showed plenty of flashes and not so good sometimes too. Larry got going even though he only had 64 yards on eight catches and that easy WR bubble screen TD. Kolb finally threw a accurate pass to Housler for a big gain and he ended up with only 2 catches but for 48 yards. Floyd made some catches in the no huddle ending up with 4 grabs for 35 yards. Early and Jeff had 4 catches for 31 yards and 2 catches for 22 yards respectively. O-Line played pretty bad giving up a whopping 8 sacks(4.5 to Wake, 1 to former Cardinal Dansby, 1 to Odrick, and 1.5 to Misi). I already criticized the running game holes they didn’t open up. The tackles are so young and boy are teams taking advantage. Massie got his NFL sort of Baptism by Cameron Wake(I don’t like to correlate that though). Batiste also had a tough game because Wake was everywhere and on both sides.

Defense:

They had a game, you can really get baffled by the numbers this game because they played well in long stretches when the offense was mucky. Dockett we need back healthy because he is a great player, but I thought Vonnie and Nick played well in stopping the run and pass rushing. Dan is getting it so to speak since the last year or so. Calais had 5 tackles and 1 TFL, good game. LBs played so well too. Where should I start? Acho with 3 tackles and another sack, he’s on a roll. Schofield also had a sack and 4 tackles also. Inside play is very strong with Lenon collecting 8 tackles and D Wash with a BIG game 5 tackles, a beautiful sack, and the FF from the aforementioned sack, big time plays he made throughout. We stopped their best player on offense in Reggie Bush(17 carries for 67 yards). Secondary had a good, bad, ugly, and great day. Patrick, I thought Horton should have put him on Hartline more because Hartline, YES, Hartline had an enormous day!? He made some nice plays though and added 5 tackles and a key fumble recovery. Gay had a tough game, but I definitely wouldn’t bench him because he was one of the reasons our D was playing well in that back end. Kerry, my pick for breakout player on the Cardinals even though this is his 8th year, is balling. 5 tackles and that BIG pick helped by Daryl’s QB pressure. A-Wil had a game too with 10 tackles, a sack, big FF, and a near Sportsnation cheer, ESPN TOP 10 PLAY with that diving pick.

Special Teams:

We’re like the Defense also in alot of ways. Jay makes the GW 46 yarder which was clutch and he has been since joining us. Zastudil did a Lechler with the punting and pinning them in bad positions. Powell did very well on the kickoffs except maybe for the near fumble loss. Patrick doesn’t owe us for a bad PR game(3 fumbles all recovered), the guy is special back there also as he is as a cb. Overtime game and we pull another one out the hat, cheers to that! Now on to those rams, who beat up on Seattle.

44. By Jerry on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

I have to admit that Kolb was playing decent the last few game but the Dolphin game was not impressive at all. Maybe I missed an announcement or a post somewhere along the line about Skelton loosing the starting position but fans think Kolb is the starting QB. We had a rough game but the team stepped up and brought us another win. Thanks Cardinals. Keep it up.

45. By Cardinalsforlife on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Cardsalltheway -

You forgot to end your comment with Trololololol.
    Seriously, you are most likely a troll, a idiot, or some form of troll idiot hybrid.
    Better off not to feed this person comments (I know, I just did).

In any case, to the sane people out there, feels good to win this game today.
    However I can’t remember a win in recent memory that made me feel so deflated.
    Kolbs mixed performance and the general up and down performance of the team didn’t help.
    Still happy of course to get the win and not having to wait till Sunday to watch the Cardinals is always a good thing (mainly because I’m not playing on such short notice)

46. By Dennis on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

The Cards pulled out a victory and that’s really all that matters. The Dolphins played well and you have to give them credit.; but does anyone out there feel the same way I do, that Kolb seems more accurate throwing the ball behind center on play action passes? He just seems to get rid of it quicker, steps up in the pocket better than he does from the shotgun….I don’t know, just sayin.

47. By stevenanimator on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

I thought the Cards Defense did a good job with containing Miami’s running game, but it seemed like the secondary all too often let Tannehill find his receivers. There was one play before the half where CB Gay looked about 2 steps behind the receiver and about a second too slow in his reaction as he attempted to swat the ball away after it had already reached its target, thereby missing an opportunity to at least tackle the receiver. He did not look sharp at all today and I was relieved to see Toler to come in after the half. I’m wondering if Ray Horton should have used a similar defensive strategy against Brady and the Pats given that Miami’s O-Line is solid and also not having Dockett in there? Your thoughts, Darren?

48. By cardsalltheway on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

It appears we are a better with W. Powell returning kicks. Nice! It appears we are a better team with Batiste at LT, Nice! Now, if we can just dig deep down enough and give it to W. Powell 13 times like R. Williams I’ll bet W. Powell will get more than 26 yards. Nice kick J. Feely!

49. By Corgon on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

The 2 Int was more than terrible.Both were thrown to the big red gloom! PP21′s fumble return would have been a game changer.
    But on the other hand it’s nice to see, they don’t want to force the Warner like style but they adjusted the plan to Kolb a bit.
    The D also had their deep moments this week. Lot of completed 3rd and long. But hey! Every win is a win! Move on and beat the Rams! Go Cards!
    I’l send the bill of my new pacemaker to the organization :)

50. By dan on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Anybody else notice D-Wash dogging it on the Patrick Peterson fumble return? All D-Wash had to do was hustle……..very disappointed in him on that. Sure, he hustles 99% of the time but that really pissed me off.

51. By Texascard on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren you were right. These are the most negative fans of all time. Did we win or lose? Thank God the players and coaches have faith.

52. By MIKE G on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! Just another crazy win at home for the Card’s. There were so many ups and downs you dont know where to begin. Getting the win is the big thing and this team shows alot of heart. They seem to make the play at the right time to win. They give up 8 sacks, 2 interceptions, couldnt run the ball and gave up an 80 yard bomb(defensive breakdown)–yet they are resilient enought to come back–it kind of doesnt add up. They are a confident group–Great win–short week have to get ready for Rams Thursday. Darren–Who was your shining player this week????? To me between Wilson, Roberts and Zastudil —I’ll go Andre Roberts–

53. By Nick Pepe on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

I said to the wife, it will be interesting if the game doesn’t go our way early, how the fans will respond. Does it get queit if things don’t go well early or will it still be one of the loudest places to play? Well it got quiet there for a bit and I was concerned that it would trickle down to the players. After all, they players do tend to feed off the energy of the crowd.

The crowd rallied, the team rallied. Both got their second (and third) wind! To play a game like that and come out and rally for a win shows nothing but character. In a way this is a bigger win than the drubbing handed the Eagles. Now when the chips are down, you know you always have a chance.

I must admit the Dolphins looked very good. Up front on both sides of the ball and their QB seemed very posied. Yet we made the plays when we had to and came out with hard a fought win. Truly a great comeback. 4-0, unreal.

In my 42 years as an avid Cardinal and Notre Dame fan, this is the first time ever that both teams are undefeated in October. The household is one happy household!

@Kevin S- great analogy

@cardsalltheway- your so vain I bet you think this song is about you

@azfiremagoo- yes, plenty of work to do, but it’s easier coming to work (for players and fans) when you are 4-0

4-0. Unreal.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Meet Me in St. Loui

54. By GW on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

WOW! A NAILBITER.The cards still need improvement on both side of the ball the dolphins had a good game plan but good teams find a way to win games at the end.A crucial div. game against the rams on thurs. BE PREPARED FOR ANOTHER NAILBITER. A WIN IS A WIN .

55. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

bluepitt –

RE: Fitz push

As I mentioned elsewhere, Fitz himself said that once Kolb left the pocket, the defender could push him legally.

56. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Schedule/Thursday

Yes on the Thursday game. As for the “easy” schedule, some picked Philly to go to the Super Bowl and more people picked Seattle to win this division than the Cards. So take that for what it’s worth. Is 4-0 a surprise? Yes. It’s disingenuous to say otherwise.

57. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Steveanimator –

RE: Scheme

Hindsight is always 20/20. I’m sure Horton would do some things differently if he could. But they won, so it works out in the end.

58. By Sir60 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

That 4th quarter was one of the most exciting I have ever watched. How many Cards fans threw in the towel after that long td to Hartline? I’m sure a lot of you did. How many Cardinal players threw in the towel?

This is the team that Whiz built. None of them gave up.

59. By KKfan on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Congrats to the Cards for another impressive win. Seems like a lot of teams had nail biters yesterday. My Eagles game was “cardiac arrest” moment in the making as well.
    Tried hard to give the Giants opportunities to win, with penalites in the waning seconds, Thank goodness both their FG attempts went wide.Unusual for their kicker. But a win is a win.

ALL teams have games like the ones the Cards and Eagles had yesterday. Not everything is going to go as hoped or planned. There is so much parady in the game today. That “any given Sunday” is no longer just a phetaphor but a reality.

I agree with Mexican Card fan, in his comment that regarding the over reaction to Kevin Kolb last season. The truth is ,that it isn’t easy to come to a new team and play well when you are so unfamiliar to everyone and everything. It’s not just about learning the X’s & O’s of an offense. But you also have to develop a knowldege of what your team mates tendencies and abilities are, for timing your passes to their speed. None of that happens over night. Add no off season to the equation and it is a recipie for disaster as was demonstrated by Kevin.

The big contract only created a greater unfair expectation from him.I doubt there is a person alive who would have refused the kind of money the Cards offered him, had they been in his shoes. I’m happy for Kevin and for the Cards. He is still rather young as an NFL starter,. He’s just had a little over one season now in starting games between here and in Philly. And like all QB’s it will take conisistency at playing the position to improve and minimize the mistakes Even the more experienced QB’s that are considered great ones ,who have been starters from day one,make them on occassion.NO ONE IS PERFECT!

Keep it going Cards. Maybe we will meet up again in the post season. Heres hoping!

60. By joe67 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

My daughter calls almost every wk near the end of game or just after to make sure I’m okay and not had a heart attack. Maybe I should have had one along the way, but I think I am conditioned to it by now.
    Sure nice to be on the winning end of these!!!!!!!

61. By cdj on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

the fact is, QBs throw picks, i knew kolb was going to throw one this game, i counted on it and i expected it. what was really important to me is how he responded to both of them. he didnt hang his head, he didnt let it bother him. he went back out there and made plays when it mattered to me that was the most important thing out of kolbs performance. yes the picks were bad throws but every qb is bound to have them every once in a while, its good that we got the win. Go Cards!

62. By philly cards on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Every qb has ups and downs.we need to trust kevin kolb this year. Skeltons ankle was a blessing.at this point or maybe a few weeks ago I’d like kolb to get the verbal from the coach. Whiz cannot use the qb battle anymore as a motivation or excuse.give kolb the job now!!

Good job with the wr’s some have never played better must be contract time (too late doucet) and and adrian wilson was “big king” commericial yesterday, I get upset when he misses a game because he won’t unless its bad.

The qb thing, gay at corner that’s all I see stopping us right now. Young tackles? maybe kolb can yell at them.

63. By wonderingwhy on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Does anybody know why we were giving 15-20 cushions on the receivers? That’s ridiculous, its no wonder they racked up so many yards on us giving them enough room to drive a semi through. We need to fix the o-line right away, somethings gotta change, if we can get Kolb more time he can make some good throws, except the one on the 2 yard line :( Dear Kolb, if you are on the 2 and cant find anybody open please throw the ball away. Thank you Wonderingwhy. Overall good game. Being a cardinals fan is exciting, you are always on the edge of your seat.

64. By jocards on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Wow! Somehow, someway the team pulled out a win and that is all that matters. Great job by Kevin Kolb. Yes that interception in the end zone was a terrible decision and the 80 yard TD that ensued could’ve easily been the dagger but it wasn’t. Kolb went back out an engineered a most unlikely drive converting two 4th downs in the process and got us into OT….That folks is what good QB’s do. They keep coming at you even after bad plays. I am very encouraged by the way he responded to adversity and I believe this is a major step for him. They had almost no running game, the pass protection was spotty, the defense was giving up huge chunks of yards through the air and had a lot of difficulty getting off the field on 3rd downs but they won the game….Great team win and again a nod to our QB.

65. By georgiebird on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

On the RW running play after the PP intercept and before the Kolb pick, I thought ‘what a great spot for a Beanie Wells’. We had Miami back on their heals and a great power run- like BW can do- would have really punctuated the game.
    As I look at the other teams around the league, the great line uttered by Joe E. Brown in the movie “Some Like It Hot” comes to mind- “Nobody’s Perfect”

66. By truths4all on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

As I previously posted, the Cards sure showed how much they missed Dockett when playing against a good offensive line. The players how subbed in for him were far too slow on the pursuit and not quick enough to generate any on the snap penetration. Time and time again, Bush and other runners scooted by the interior defensive linemen when they needed only to react and grab him. Dockett is the invaluable rock the Cards Defense is rooted on. And they missed his on the field passion in dominating the other team.

Kobl played lousy for the first part of this game. Sort of the same as last year when he was NOT protected by Brown, Keith and company. As with all decent QBs, he is dependent on decent pass blocking and did not get any real protection until the end. Until then, Kolb sort of wandered around, trying his best to dodge defensive players and getting pressured to make bad passes. When, the coaches finally dialed it in for the tackles to get some help, presto, Kolb finally has time to make some very good throws. (notice most of his passes were still the WCO variety and the longish ones were a seam route that Housler picked up an extra 20 plus yards after the catch and the TD one to Roberts was on a blown coverage) This is the same script Skelton had produced in his games last season, but the Haters will continue to be blind to that and hypocritically give Kolb all of the credit for winning ugly why blindly denying Skelton the same credit he earned on the field and wins last year.

Its time for Williams, Powell, and Hyphen to strap on tight their chin straps and practice extra hard as they could have a monster game running on the Rams’ historically less than stellar run defense..

67. By Peter in Canada on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

This was a really great column that accurately sums up yesterday’s game. Most of the postings are positive which is a refreshing change. The Dolphins showed that we are still a work in progress and not a juggernaut by any means. Despite not bringing our A-game we still won which is the sign of a pretty good team. I must confess that I figured we were done after the int. followed by their 80 yard strike and our 3 and out.

@Kevin S I for one will give KK his due. The criticism of him last year was deserved but his play this year deserves praise. He has risen to the challenge.

68. By Cert 33 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Hard to believe that we won this game. Kolb showed some character in the face of adversity in this one. You can bet that every opponent we play the rest of the season is going to study the tape of this one. The Dolphins succesfully exploited all of our shortcomings on offense and defense. The Rams are vastly improved under legendary coach Jeff Fisher and will clean our clocks if Whiz and Horton don’t make the necessary corrections.

69. By Marcelosdmf on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Howdy everyone,

The victory was simply mindblowing… I had quit by the time Tannehill threw that 80-yard TD pass. But what happened next? I saw a hell of a QB into action.

For some many times I criticized Kolb’s play and now I just feel CONFIDENT with him under center. How? I don’t know… It’s not because we got another W but I’m just feeling great with him. Let’s say that 20% of the money invested on him has already had its return. Hope we can get the other 80%.

However, Cards still have to improve and get better at inumerous points…

On Thursday night my friends and I are sure gonna open another bottle of beer in order to cheer one more Cards Victory, from Brazil.

70. By Jahstone on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Very happy to be 4-0. We stole that game yesterday, and this group of Cards never ceases to amaze me.

Regarding Kolb,,he is looking more like the QB we thought we were getting. I know some of his picks are horrible, but are they not eerily similar to some of the ones that Warner threw during his prime here? As long as he leads us down in the 4th/OT, he can attone for his mistakes.

We do this together!!!

71. By Tim in NJ on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

This game had “trap” written all over it and indeed the Dolphins brought their “A” game while the Cardinals at best brought their “C” game. However great teams find ways to win these types of games and the Cardinals did just that. No Hyphen or Heap hurts the Cardinals offense, so hopefully both will be back Thursday. Same can be said for Dockett on the defense. All hands on deck Thursday- win and go to 5-0 and the 10 day rest that will come with that.

So proud of Michael Bidwill, Rod Graves and Coach Whiz- the Cardinals are one of the NFLs best teams and they made it happen!

~Tim in NJ

72. By bluepitt on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

D,
    “Fitz himself said that once Kolb left the pocket, the defender could push him legally.”
    oh I didnt know that, nore did any NFL replay anouncers, or other blog’s about the play? hum….

73. By Kevin S on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Looks like I (and others) are wrong about the pass interference on Fitz. OK, then, I’ll replace that non-call with another crappy call — Kolb sacked when the defender basically barely has him by the leg. That stunk.

And this one may just have been me considering that Adrian didn’t show any disagreement when his INT was overturned, but I watched that replay 20 times after the game and I never saw conclusive evidence to overturn the call. I saw the ball move as was mentioned on the telecast, but you can’t tell (or at least I couldn’t) if his hand was under it or not. Then he rolls over and clearly has it. Whatever that play was called on the field, I would’ve had to let it stand if I were the ref — didn’t see anything to overturn.

Easy schedule, Andy? I think the easy games were supposed to start with this Miami game, but as Darren says the Eagles were a Super Bowl pick and even SEA was favored against us. The easy stretch was MIA-STL-BUF-MIN (and now MIN isn’t looking so easy, nor is @STL as they look much improved).

74. By georgiebird on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

@Cert33
    Your post is an excellent one. It puts the onus on the players and coaches to begin the process of adapting from game to game and from play to play. Are they up to the challenge?
    But in fairness-Cards didn’t bring their A game-especially PP.

75. By Kevin S on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Someone posted on one of the blog’s earlier entries about PP fair catching on the 3 yard line. This is something I’ve been seeing more of too. I mean, the 3 is inexcusable, but guys are fair-catching on the 7, 8 all the time now. Punters have gotten a lot better but they aren’t THAT good… a lot of those punts they try to drop inside the 20, they design to bounce backward, so I don’t understand the FC’s inside the 10… there’s a good chance that if the punter gets it right, it’s going to go straight up or backward, and, of course, there’s a good chance it will end up taking a bad bounce (for the kicking team) and roll into the end zone. Footballs bounce in crazy ways and I see a heck of a lot more touchbacks than I do balls downed inside the 5. Regardless, though, an FC on the 3 is inexcusable. Maybe PP realized too late he wasn’t going to be able to return, and was worried about the ball bouncing and hitting him if he tried to get out of the way?

76. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S –

RE: PP fair catch

Doesn’t matter what the thought process is — unless he is unchallenged and can return (a la Rams last year on the 99-yard return) he has to let it bounce. No ifs, ands or buts. He knows that.

77. By brad oneill on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

The thing i liked most about this game is when Kolb basically through it away we didnt have any diva’s pouting on the sideline. or in the following play where our defense got fooled badly we didnt have guys yelling at each other inappropriately a team that can weather the whoopses always has a chance to make up for them. The way cardinals are playing in close games I have to say down 7 is a comfortable lead for us that is increase over my previous belief that down 1 was a comfortable lead. :)

78. By Kevin S on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Georgiebird — I thought the same thing from the 3 yard line. Heck, there are a lot of teams out there with a power runner like Beanie who will give it to him 3 straight downs in that situation, whatever it takes to get in the end zone.

One thing that’s not good for the Cardinals is that even I can predict with a pretty high degree of accuracy whether a play is going to be a run or pass before it starts. For example, even though our running game was horrible, as soon as I saw the players line up out of the huddle I was 95% sure the first play in OT was an RW run. And sure enough, we lose 3 yards and then it’s 2nd and 13 and so now MIA knows the next two downs are passing downs. So much easier to defend when you know what’s coming.

79. By GW on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

i’m not making excuses for the def. but did anyone realize richard marshall play for mia.the reason i said this who’s better to know the cards def. packages than a former player i’m sure he gave tips to the mia. off.makes you wonder why the 49ers sign c. haggans.no excuse just something that make you say hhmmmmmm .

80. By brad oneill on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

PS- The highlight of the game to me was when Kolb didnt give up a safety after PP left us backed up. That has been a considerable weakness of Kolbs and although we didnt escape without a 3 and out we at least didnt give up 2 and the ball.

81. By jocards on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

I really do not understand all the back and forth among a lot of posters here about Kolb/Skelton….Whichever QB gives us the best chance to win has got to play and I can’t argue with a 4-0 record. My goodness Skelton “won” the starting job in camp before we had played a single game…fair enough. He was injured and Kolb has stepped in and led the way to some impressive wins, sorry but he has to play. Yesterday in some ways I was more impressed with Kolb than before…..because of the way he was able to hang in there and bring the team back. There was no running game, the protection was spotty at best and he made some bad decisions/throws but he didn’t go away. He kept coming at them and made some great throws when they were most needed. That is what really good QB’s do, they keep coming at you and find a way to make a play.

82. By Louisville Card on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Great article as always. 4-0 articles are nice to write I’m sure. It seem’s like OT’s since Whiz has been head coach are always a W. What is the Cards record in OT with Whiz? Seems like he wins the games that the cards normally lost before him.

83. By red sea on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Alot of mix feelings here from cards fans yes a ugly win and yes the def had trouble but thats wat makes a team great not every game is going to b spectacular the players r human and every team has its ups and downs even the great ones but that win can only give you hope alot of teams could have not pulled that win cards never gave up and kolb was the man i thought he played great yes two picks so wat have u seen brees play,kolb made plays when they matter most and got us a chance to win the game big step for him all he can do is grow from this and get better this should b a learning curve for next game this game should b the never say never game of the week

84. By Dre on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Good teams find a way to win at the end of the year all that counts w and l. I’ll take it any day

85. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Notice sacks on Cards did not result in turnovers. But Cards sacks and QB hit by Paris resulted in 3 of their 4 takeaways. How headline stats don’t tell whole story.

86. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Whiz/OT

Whiz is now 7-2 in overtime games.

87. By Kevin on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

coach whiz is doing a fantastic job as is Kolb. We can’t be giving up that many yards. We are a good team with good coaches. We do need a couple of good offensive linemen once we have them we will be even better, Hope Dockett is healthy for the Rams we need him. Look forward to going 5-0

88. By jdcrow59 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

A win is a win, is a win. No matter how ugly. I would be keen to know what the % of our QB picks in the last three seasons have come by trying to force the ball to Fitz.. I’m guessing it’s close to or better than 50%

89. By mal on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway-

I’ve read this blog for the last 4 years and until now have never seen one positive word come out of you, unless, of course, you are making a postivie statement to prove a negative point. You post at least once or more on almost every blog entry Darren writes. The only thing that quiets you down a little bit is when things go really well, becuz then it gets harder for you to complain, but you are very persistent and always manage to find some dark lining to every silver cloud.

I was curious what you would post after a victory in New England, and sure enough you came on here to bitch about our run game. You are a headcase, without an ounce of self-awareness. You cherry-pick quotes and spin stats to bolster your opinions, and you apply this same lack of objectivity to your own self-reflection.

I guess that censorship must go against Darren’s DNA as a journalist, but I wish that as moderator of this site he would do us fans and this website a big favor and block you.

90. By Rio on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

William Powell kick off return really help win this game, he was flying.

91. By DesertDawg on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

14 year season ticket holder. I also record the games and watch again when I get home. Seems Horton didn’t blitze as often and when we did, they picked it up pretty well. The DB’s were playing off, almost prevent and didn’t adjust to MIA quick short game. Does anybody think this was a designed game plan or am I reading something into it that is off? I think it may have contributed to what we are calling ” not playing their best game”. It was scary to watch but man what an ending. These guys are a fun team.

92. By nodavis2000 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Some fans are just plain CRAZY!!! I wasn’t the biggest Kolb fan, but he has proved that he CAN WIN games. (Just like Skelton did last season.) If you think a QB can go the entire season playing perfect football, you’re nuts and should stop watching football all together.

Ok, so Kolb made poor choices and got picked twice. Guess what??? That happens to EVERYONE…
    Brees threw two picks in week 2, so that must mean that the Saints should bench him???
    Rodgers has thrown 3 picks so far, the Packers should definitely sit him down too.
    Heck, Tom Brady has thrown 12+ INTs in 8 season in NE. He should just be fired right now.

My point is that EVERY QB makes bad decisions. That’s a given. Stop crucifying the man or saying he sucks for one game that wasn’t great. He played really good. Got more TDs than INTs, kudos to him. Had 300+ yards throwing, more kudos. Made TWO necessary drives work in order to tie the game, definitely deserves kudos for that. Every game his QB rating has been over 80, for an overall 97.6 for the season. (Which is above average, super kudos.) His QB rating is higher than Brees and Rodgers this season, and they have a combined 20 yrs of exp in the league. But, some fans can’t give Kolb two seasons???

Fact: Kolb found a way to win the game, despite the TEAM not playing it’s best football.

Fact: Kolb, right now, is playing the QB position how we initially wanted him to play it, when we traded for him. Great job man!!!

93. By jeffgollin on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

The most telling (& impressive) aspect of this win was the tenacity of the team as a whole, but most noticeably Kevin Kolb and the defense on that final TD drive to tie it up in the 4Q.

Twice, the Cards were down to a “4th & Go “Home” – the first time after 2 consecutive sacks of Kolb; the second time when he was 4th & goal at the 15 with 0:22 left on the clock. In both instances, Kevin dug in, made the play and got the job done.

True grit and pure clutch.

94. By Nick Pepe on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

@mal

Well put, he just needs attention.

NIck Pepe
    Lifetime Member

95. By sarah on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Kolb is meh ok but not a long term guy. He is sort of a CFL quarterback similar to Jeff Garcia who also could not stretch the field ( Garcia was far more seasoned and tougher ). Time will tell but Kolb sits a WC offensive scheme for sure. He got lucky with the defense stepping up in the end and the pick. I don’t see him playing better than Skelton just costs more. I will say it again that Skelton has more upside long term and a far better arm. Let’s see what happens in STL. Kolb got lucky with the injury to JS, until the 4th quarter yesterday, he was not exactly lighting it up and was Cam Wakes mid day meal for most of the game.

96. By mike hadzinski on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Couple quick notes peterson got beat by a white guy for a franchise record when does he become constant in coverage ? When are you going to make an article starting about that 1 trade and how Andre Roberts is is becomeing the player steve keim invisiond him and how kerry is playing lights out right now and looks like the cards made out.D good job man i will never forget the time i called you on the phone lol…….

97. By cdj on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

@ mike

PP was not guarding hartline, gay and toler and fleming were usually the ones guarding heartline

98. By jocards on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

@ sarah – I like Skelton but we must be watching different games. Kolb stepped up in a big way yesterday and just like the good QB’s do he found a way to make plays when it counted the most. I’m really not sure what Skelton has ever accomplished to instill such fierce loyalty and confidence in a considerable portion of the fan base but he has certainly got more than a few people believing that a 5th round draft pick out of Fordam that has not been at all an accurate passer to this point is without doubt a future franchise QB. I like the guy and believe he has some upside but Kolb has played extremely well thus far (not perfect) and Whisenhunt would be crazy to replace him at this point IMO.

99. By Kevin S on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

@sarah

Kolb has now made 17 NFL starts, a whopping 5 more than Skelton. The fact is, neither has played that much in the NFL; Kolb’s now thrown 679 passes which is basically a little more than a season’s worth… Skelton has thrown 429. How you can conclude that Kolb (lifetime QBR 79.9 and improving the past 3 years) has more upside than Skelton (also improving, but 65.8) based on the available evidence is beyond me, unless the only evidence you are looking at is arm strength and size in which case you’ve got to look a lot harder because there are plenty of guys with size and a cannon arm that can’t sniff being the starting QB on a good college team much less an NFL team. I’m not saying Kolb is definitely better (I think he is, but I’m not qualified to judge), just wondering on what objective basis anyone would think Kolb is “meh” but Skelton is a potential franchise QB. And there isn’t much point factoring in the money because if Skelton is good enough to be a franchise QB as you say, he’d be earning the big bucks shortly anyway; it’s not like he’d stay cheap for the next 10 years.

100. By Kevin S on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Jocards — your comment came through just as I was posting mine. Maybe it’s just the underdog factor… as is often said, the backup QB is the favorite guy on the team (at least when the team isn’t playing well, which we were not last year when the wrath of fans for a disappointing start all came down on Kolb). Let’s not forget that during the preseason, when neither Skelton nor Kolb was accomplishing much, a number of posters were suggesting that we chuck both and turn over the reins to Lindley. “What have we got to lose?” Does anyone think we’d be 4-0 if we’d done that? Heck, does anyone think we’d even have 2 wins?

101. By KKfan on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

@ Sarah, there isn’t a QB to ever play this game ,that hasn’t had off games . Not even those ensconsed in the HOF.

I’ve read some of your posts since comming to this site .I’ve yet to read one positive comment from you regarding Kevin Kolb . Yet when JS was playing a similar type of game ( the first game of the season) there was not one word of negativity or criticism against his performance from you.

Of course you are entitled to like who you choose. And to have an opinion. But it would be nice if you allowed just a tiny bit of support for Kolb to show through
    during his time under center.

If Whisenhunt were to go back to JS in the next game, I would be disappointed. But I would root for him to do well. Just as strongly as I do for Kolb. That’s what being a fan is all about. It’s unfortunate that you can’t bring yourself do the same.

Kolb is still making adjustments to his new offense and team mates.Contrary to popular belief it isn’t a one season accomplishment.

I happen to disagree with you on your analysis and lack of opservation / objectivity where Kolb is concerned. He is no Payton, Eli , Drew or Aaron ( but than neither is JS). But he has the skills and the smarts to become a very solid and sound QB. Just as John appears to do.

I watched 11 seasons of McNabb having a strong arm, but very poor accuracy (especially on the short to intermediate routes) or touch on his passes. What good is a strong arm if you aren’t accuracte ? So to me, accuracy is of more value, than how far you can heave a ball down the field.

As for his toughness, he took a pounding back there yesterday. Yet he shook it off, and performed the way he and his team and coached needed him to in the end.That Sara, is NO DIFFERENT than what John did last season, when he stepped in for Kevin.

102. By clssylssy on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

I too was worried about this game and it seemed I had just cause. The first half was like preseason all over again! Tannehill was amazing and their offense totally owned us. KK didn’t seem like he was totally checked in and perhaps was preoccupied with the new baby or just maybe a little comfortable. He didn’t seem like the same guy who was playing the Eagles but was able to settle down in the third quarter. ..and then there was that throw into the end zone??? The refs were ending plays prematurely for “player safety”…wt?..and unchallengeable? I think maybe Mr. Bidwell needs to be a little more vocal to the Commish as officials should be held accountable in the same way players are and bad calls that are game changing just aren’t acceptable. Since it is the feeling of the NFL that the Owners are the ones they speak for then maybe our owner should speak for us! The absence of DD, Heap, and the hypen were sorely missed and I hope everyone is healthy for the Rams game on Thursday and have their A game going. This game is MAJOR, if we are to be a contender. These last minute wins in OT are still wins but we have to start putting some big numbers on the board. I’ve always like Reggie Bush and he looked like the old Reggie last Sunday. And then there was Larry Fitz…the best of the best who didn’t even get 100 yards? Throughout this game I couldn’t help but think, Damn, we would be good if we had got Todd Haley to come back and Damn, this looks like all too familiar and I must be getting old because these cardiac moments that I use to find exciting are just way too stressful! The sad thing is that this team is so loaded with talent it could be a dream team. Thank God for Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson to really put a shine on a not too pretty win! FLY HIGH CARDS AND BE THE WINNERS YOU CAN BE WITH THE RAMS!

103. By mike hadzinski on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Cobra

What gm were you watching toler got burned every1 on D GT BURNED 4 a rookie record pay attention bro….

104. By mike hadzinski on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

cdj
    your wrong they all couldn’t cover hartline P.P. ALMOST BLEW HIS KNEE OUT ON THE 1 JUMP FAIL… funny how ppl stick up 4 players when they had a crappy gm…

105. By Sarah on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

To the 3 comments reflected to me above :

Nothing against Kolb, i just think he is playing within the scheme and backed by a rock solid defense that saved his ass yesterday after throwing the game toward the end. Skelton has a way better arm and over time would pass Kolb easily. Kolb has had 3 wins and struggled mightily in the first half yesterday. Honestly outside of one throw the defense again won the game by great setups and field positon. Last year he was below average and the team bailed out in the last half. Kolb is a WC offense guy, short quick execution passing, let’s see what else he has.

Skelton will waste his time in Arizona behind Kolb, they should trade him to the Giants, btw the owner of the Giants is a Fordham alum ( Mara and his dad was one of the original NFL owners ). The school goes back a long way to the early days in football ala Vince Lombardi. Skelton has far more upside than Kolb long term, I think when we get to the SF game Kolb will be exposed. If he hadn’t of hit Roberts for that TD he was back to being the backup. Defense saved the first series with the pick in OT after Kolb when out 3 and 0 .

106. By Sarah on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

PS, We have paid Kolb close to 23 million, Skelton under 1 million todate, do the math and last year KK basically robbed us.

107. By Chuck 1 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Let’s get down and dirty with “baby jealousy” here.

There seems to be something about Sarah and clssylssy showing envy (or something) for Kolb and his wife getting some publicity for the birth of their daughter e.g. Sarah (last week): “enough already about Kolb’s baby” (or something like that) and clssylssy: ” KK didn’t seem like he was totally checked in and perhaps was preoccupied with the new baby…”.

Ladies, PULLEEZE. Button it.

There. I’ve said it. Come and get me.

108. By AzDesertRat1953 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

I will take Kolb over any other Starter in the NFL.

Example 1: ROMO Nice game tonight for Da Bears!

I have Two favorite teams #1 Arizona Cardinals
    #2 ANY Team That Beats DALLAS!!!

GO CARDS!!!

109. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Hey Sarah Skelton,

Please stop talking. You just sound ignorant.

-everyone

110. By clssylssy on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Sarah:
    I agree with a lot you said but have to KK credit where credit is due. We are 4-0, which has been largely due to our killer defense however, Kevin was able to step in a be more focused than we had seen him previously. The team is working as a cohesive unit and I don’t think anybody on the team is concerning themselves with who is first, etc. John has been hurt and while I think he was the best choice for a starter, it is obvious we need a good second whoever that is (probably a 3rd too) who can step in a win games at a moment’s notice. We all saw what happened to the Colts last year because they put all their eggs in the Manning basket. It’s a credit to Coach Whisenhunt as well as the players that the team has been able to find success making do with the best available man. I would like to see Skelton developed more as a QB and I’m not sure he is going to get that here.
    There are fans from teams around the league who have seen the raw talent he has and I’m sure he would probably have more of a future with a team who is willing to develop him. I know Coach Whisenhunt is capable…he did it with Ben Rothinsberger but he was in a different role with the Steelers and is job now is not the development of QBs. When Todd Haley was here he did an extraordinary job of getting the most out of his players, honing their skills, and developing them .
    Coach Whisenhunt has said that he may go to a “job sharing” sort of thing like he did with Warner which I think would be awesome. Kevin and John have different skill sets and if they were developed to just perfect what they are best at instead of trying to do things that are out of their range and then work on other things during the off season, we would have a better offense. The line is starting to tighten up but we are going to have to start putting points up if we are to be a contender and get the respect we deserve. This week’s game against the Rams is going to be a good measure of how good our offense really is. Sam Bradford is like a young Kurt Warner and the Rams offense is pretty good. Plus they have a kicker who can put up a 60 yarder! GO CARDS! BE THE TEAM WE KNOW YOU TO BE! FLY HIGH AGAINST THE SHEEP! FFF!

111. By jocards on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

@ sarah – Okay, so you really, really like Skelton. Sorry but I just haven’t seen what you apparently see in him, at least not nearly to the same degree. They should trade him to the Giants? He’d be even further down the bench in NY, they have a pretty good QB there that has won a couple of SB’s. I really don’t want to get into a situation where I am bad mouthing Skelton because I like the guy and think he has some upside but really has accomplished next to nothing in the NFL to this point and I do not understand all the fierce loyalty for and absolute confidence in a guy with his resume.

112. By Kevin S on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Jocards –

For whatever reason, some people want to argue in terms of “potential” and “upside” (things that any fan can claim they see in any player) instead of objective reality. I can sit here and say I see huge potential in, say, Justin Bethel… you can’t disprove me.

The fact is that a quarter of the season has gone by and we have a QB ranked in the top 10 in QBR, and who last year was ranked right in the middle of all NFL QB’s (compared to his counterpart who was 3rd-worst among all qualifiers) and yet some people think he hasn’t shown anything. Not just Sarah above, but I remember after the PHI game — when Kolb was 17-24 with 2 TD’s, no INT’s, and a QBR of 127, two posters said he was “alright” and “average, nothing great, but I’ll take it.” The ironic thing is that the exact arguments that were being used against Skelton by Kolb supporters last year and throughout the offseason (e.g., we won all those games under Skelton because of the D, etc.) are now being used by Skelton supporters against Kolb. The difference, though, is that Kolb’s performance (as measured by pretty much any objective criteria, whether QBR or completion percentage or TD/INT ratio or whatever) is way ahead of anything Skelton has done. If Kolb keeps it up, more detractors will have to convert; they simply can’t maintain credibility otherwise.

113. By Sarah on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Re. the above ( not the everlasting Kolbstopper who is just benign ), let’s see how Kevin does against STL. I still say he is a CFL QB with a weak arm who lives out of the shotgun and runs when he gets pressure. He looks like a flea being chased by a tick most of the time and he has happy feet ! I am all for it if he keeps winning but I think Skelton would be doing the same, the latter rescued the season for us last year.

114. By Nick Pepe on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

This is as much banter or debate over a starting QB for a 4-0 team that you will ever see. Perhaps it’s the height and golden boy looks, or the fact that he’s not married with children, that has certain people on the Skelton bandwagon.

@KevinS and Jocards-
    You two are making excellent points. I too was on the Skelton bandwagon due to his “upside” or potential if you will. I was concerned about Kolbs “happy feet”….. but 4-0 is 4-0 no matter how you look it, and he’s in the top ten after one month. I think that pretty much closes out the competition. IMO.

But this is an enjoyable read nonetheless.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Going back on the streets tomorrow!!! Off the IR !!!

115. By Kevin S on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

@Nick Pepe,

Thank you, and I hope they keep winning for you — a Lifetime Member deserves it.

I actually have no problem with many of the Skelton supporters. I think, as many do, that he has potential. Whether that’s the potential to be a #1 QB for a decent team, or just a good backup, I don’t know. I just get irritated when (some) people say it’s obvious Kolb is no good in comparison.

116. By clssylssy on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

@Chuck…so what’s with the attitude? I don’t see how you could read anything into my comment that KK was checked out and possibly not focused on the game because of his newly becoming a father…a normal thing considering most fathers these days take paternity leave from their jobs…lol! Some of you people are sooo overreative when it is suggested that KK is not the stud QB Drew Brees or even Ryan Tannehilll is. He is doing an OK job but so far we’re not putting points on the board enough to make us a real contender. Our wins have been due to our defense and special teams and if the offense could give us the same performance we would be SB caliber. Larry Fitzgerald is the one at a loss here as he’s not getting any catches or putting up yards. Let’s hope we see everyone show up in St. Louis ready to set the world on fire! GO CARDS!

117. By Nick Pepe on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

@Kevin S,

I hope they keep winning for all Cards fans, the owners, the coaches, and most especially the players.

I have potential to be an astronaut but it’s unlikely to happen. I agree that there is nothing quantifiable on Skelton to say he is going to be a franchise QB, but I do admire his demeanor and size.

One thing is for sure, I am more comfortable with KK than ever before and I will also have confidence if Skelton has to be thrown into action. The QB situation has just about transformed from a conundrum to a solution in one short month.

As for the “Lifetime Member” …..I have been a fan since 1970-71. Some of the years were very tough to stomach. But I never waivered, never ventured. Cardinal fan thru and thru. I have used it (“Lifetime Member”) since my very first comment on this blog, and it sort of stuck. I think I”ve paid my dues !!! LOL

Nick Pepe