• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Moving on with a short week, and other notes

Posted by Darren Urban on October 1, 2012 – 11:48 am

The Cardinals will practice tonight — for an hour — as their short week begins. They aren’t going to do much because they really can’t, not after finishing a game just about 24 hours before. The body just isn’t ready for that. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he won’t really know much about the injury situation until he sees his players like Darnell Dockett (hamstring) and Todd Heap (knee) doing things in practice, and it will be so light this evening that tonight probably isn’t going to give much of a barometer.

Cornerback Patrick Peterson just tweeted, “Quick turn around big game on Thursday. This game will say a lot about our team, can’t wait. #Don‘tBlink” That’s true. This game will tell a lot about the Cards. The last time the Cards had a Thursday game, it didn’t go so well.

– Whisenhunt said Greg Toler has been working back to health after missing all last season with the ACL tear. Toler was available all of camp, but he never was quite right. “He was fighting it in camp and he’s been getting healthier,” Whisenhunt said. “During the course of the game we made the move (to play him more) because we thought it was best because of the matchup situation.” Whisenhunt said “we’ll see” when it comes to keeping Toler in that spot. Toler ended up playing across from Patrick Peterson at cornerback instead of William Gay, and in nickel, instead of Jamell Fleming (with Gay staying at nickel). Gay played 50 defensive snaps Sunday, Toler 44 and Fleming 12.

– Because running back Ryan Williams is not part of the no-huddle because of where he is in his development and William Powell does work in that package, Powell actually played more offensive snaps (34) than Williams (33) Sunday.

– The play-action was very effective for the Cards Sunday. Whiz said if he could guarantee that success, he’d run it every snap. It’s a little strange too. “It’s not like we’ve been killing it in the run game,” Whisenhunt acknowledged.

– Many have asked about the push Dolphins defensive back Sean Smith made on Larry Fitzgerald in the end zone on Kevin Kolb’s interception. Fitz said after the game “when the quarterback is out of the pocket he’s allowed to push me” and the Pro Bowler was absolutely right. It says in part in Rule 8, Section 4, Article 7 of the rulebook, “If the quarterback leaves the pocket area with the ball in his possession, the restrictions on illegal contact and illegal cut block both end, but the restriction on defensive holding remains in effect.” Kolb still had the ball and was out of the pocket when Smith shoved Fitz.

– The game Thursday will be televised on NFL Network and for those who don’t have NFLN, it will be also shown on KPHO (Ch. 5).

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

60 Responses to “Moving on with a short week, and other notes”

1. By hummer53 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Can’t get over that rocket that Kevin threw to Roberts at the end. Not too many QB’s can rifle a pass in that window. That was at the Aaron Rodgers level. Congrats to players,coaches and staff for bringing us a lot of joy. Keep it up!

2. By Secret on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren, how does the practice week work when a team has a Thursday game?

You said an hour on Monday, but what else?

they must practice Tuesday, then travel on Wednesday, and sneak a practice in St. Louis?

3. By AB on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Channel 5, Thank you for that note. I’m sure a lot of people will be asking you that question this week.

4. By AB on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Is it me, or does CBS channel 5 have a lot of static or something of the like going on?

Every other channel on my TV is fine, but when I watch on CBS, the quality isn’t that great. There’s is like a lot of white sparkles going on.

If anyone knows how to fix that, let me know. That would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading! Have a great day! Hear from you soon!

AB

5. By D on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

After watching Kolb throw that bone headed pick in the endzone followed up by probably his best pass of his career for a TD to Roberts, I think he can be the future at the QB spot for AZ. Now, I don’t expect Matt Ryan performances, but more like Alex Smith in the future. I think the Cards need to build that O line around him and add another RB option and this team should be able to contend for a few years at that last playoff spot….

6. By Jason Zumwalt on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the push explanation. Go Cards.

7. By Dynosoar on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Cobra, ok I won’t post my Saturday post again. But it’s only cause I like what you write.

Finally on NFL network, this means I get to watch the game instead of a marker moving up and down the field on my computer. WoHoo!

4-0. I’ll keep my optimism in check. last week I was believing 9-0 into the bye, but for the first time this year San Francisco has me nervous.

You know what? No way, I still believe in 9-0! Our Cards have been 11-2 in the last 13, 11-5 in 16. This team has me downright excited.

All we have to do is win the next and the next until we’re, (ok now I’m out there) 19-0. We took down the Dolphins Sunday, why not take down the record. Hey I get excited and I’m a dreamer. I’ll take it one game at a time and enjoy, but Sunday sure had me pumped.

Watching our team play, it doesn’t look like they’re nervous and that’s key. I like that Feely told Kevin to get him to the 35 and he’d win it, do they plan this stuff? As long as the game planning includes a win I’m good. Perhaps week 8 could be game planned for a 32 pint win for us.

Adrien Wilson improved his stats to 27 interceptions and 23.5 sacks. He’s on pace to be the third of the 30-30 club. Go Adrien! (yell it like Mr. Balboa, it sounds impressive.)

8. By Dynosoar on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I don’t appear quite as cautious as you. I guess predicting is foolish in some ways, because we never know what will happen. I’m just thrilled to see my Cardinals playing at the top of the league.

To all, enjoy the ride Thursday, it should be really sweet.

9. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Secret –

RE: Practice this week

As of right now (12:50 p.m.) the rest of the week hasn’t been announced. But after today, I expect a regular practice Tuesday and then a regular “Friday” practice Wednesday before we fly to St. Louis. Definitely less prep time on the field.

10. By nodavis2000 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the explanation Darren on the pushing thing. I was so upset when I saw it in replay. After the game, I called my brother and we were complaining about the call too. LOL
    Thank goodness that play didn’t matter in the end… or bite us too bad… An ugly, tooth & nail fight win is … … still a win afterall.

11. By Rufus on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

This is going to be a tough game. Need more producton out of OL and running game to win. Go Cardinals!

12. By jocards on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

This has been a great start to the season but personally I have no illusions that this is a great team at this point. They are pretty good and they have a chance to get better but every week will be a new struggle and a new challenge. So far the staff and the players have met those challenges and come out on top but there are still issues that need to be improved upon. In the NFL there are no “gimmes”. You had better be ready to play each week or you’re going to get beat. Predicting playoffs or regular season records after 4 weeks isn’t advisable IMO…nor are brash proclamations or trash talking your opponents. There are two kinds of people in this world; those that are humble and those that are about to be. Let’s just take this one week at a time, one win at a time.

13. By Steve on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren: Is Beanie signed thru 2014 or is this his contract year? His penchant for always getting hurt is a bit troubling and I could see Graves looking at RB early if this is Wells contract year.

14. By Dynosoar on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Who needs running backs, I know, I like them as well, but imagine this.

Kolb and 5 on the O-line.
    Fitz, Doucett and Housler on his left

Roberts and Floyd on his right

No team’s secondary could match. Blitz, at least two would be open.

If this is a pass happy league, let’s pass!

15. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Beanie contract

He is signed through 2013.

16. By Jeff on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Play action works best because the offensive line is run blocking which in their case is far better than straight out pass blocking

17. By chris on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

What time do the Cards practice tonight? Any word on how Dockett is feeling?

18. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Is there a site Darren, that shows number of snaps played that you can recommend?
    And do you know who blew the coverage on the Hartline TD?

19. By brad oneill on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Dynosaur if the Cardinals went 19-0 the headline would read The cardinals are the worst 19-0 team ever. I swear they hate us in football world. :)

20. By Derrick Haskan on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

4-0 helllll yeah!!!!!!!!

21. By joe67 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

JoCards
    Very well put. 4-0 is great, but if we don’t play better than we did Sunday, we may not win another game. Lots of work to do. Good thing is, lots and lots of upside to this team. Just keep playing one at a time, and get better each week.
    Ugly win is still awhole lot better than pretty loss.

Dyno, you are FIRED UP aren’t you!!?!!

22. By Chuck 1 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

I can only imagine what Kolb will think if Whiz starts Skelton after he is healthy, after he (Kolb) has led the game-winning drive against Seattle and then HELPED
    (he didn’t do it on his own) the Cards beat the Pats, Eagles and “Fins.

23. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Chris –

RE: Practice/Dockett

6 and no, nothing different than what I just posted above.

24. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Snaps/coverage

No, I don’t know of public sites for snaps. And no one has come clean on the coverage situation.

25. By Dynosoar on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Joe 67,

I started to read Dyno, you are fired.

Then I read the next word and was as relieved as durring the closing seconds of any games this season.

Yeah, I’m pretty fired up. My friends say I’m more fired up than durring our Super Bowl run.

Mr. Oneill, worst 19-0 team ever, I’ll be laughing all week at that one and that was a perfect counter to my enthused commentary. Brilliantly done!

26. By Andy Kw on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Many people are getting really cocky after the first 4 games. Yes it is true that this team is 4-0 but lets not be overconfident when saying 9-0. Our teams still has a lot to improve on after the Miami Dolphins game. Out of all the games we played so far, Ryan Tannehill proved to really breakdown the Arizona Cardinal’s defense. Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, and Michael Vick could not decipher the AZ defense but Ryan Tannehill could. Our secondary needs a big improvement after the game against Miami. With Darnell Dockett eyeing a return, I expect him to turn around this Arizona defense. Our Offensive Line was finally exposed. We allowed 8 sacks and that was more sacks allowed than the first 3 weeks. Lets hope Bobbie Massie and the rest of the Cards OL learned this week. Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Roberts are big threats and will be key in defeating the St.Louis Rams. Kevin Kolb needs to throw higher when trying the throw to Fitzgerald. The first interception, it was directly to Sean Smith. The 2nd interception, directly thrown to Sean Smith. If Kolb can throw the ball higher up, Larry will have a better chance on catching the ball. But Kolb had a decent performance against Miami and I thank him for doing such a wonderful job. I still want William Gay to start at Cornerback. Greg Toler is great but I think he will contribute better in Nickel position. Patrick Peterson and Adrian Wilson need to play better too. They both allowed to many yards in the air. Lets hope Darnell Dockett is ready to play against the Rams. Lets hope Kolb gets back to his rhythm of no interceptions and this team will do fine against the Rams. If O-Line improves and the D-Backs improve, I have no doubt in my mind that Kevin Kolb and the Cardinals will win.

27. By mal on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

To everyone questioning what happened with the Cards D in this last game — why they “let down” or the game plan or if they took the Phins too lightly, etc, etc — I gotta point out that the one thing that was different in this game was that Darnell Dockett did not play. He is a disruptive force at the core of this D. I think maybe we saw how important he is.

So… Darren… I’m confused — is Tuesday or Wedsnesday the Friday before Thursday?

28. By Corgon on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Darran,

is this rule concerning both to the O and D players as well?
    THX

29. By Josh Weinfuss on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Hay Darren, do u think that I could take over some of the blog duties plz? Also have you been liking my articals and have i been doing good job?

30. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Mal –

RE: The days/daze

It’ll be the Wednesday before. I need some time. Besides, it’s a night game.

31. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Mal –

RE: The days/daze

It’ll be the Wednesday before. I need some time. Besides, it’s a night game.

32. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Corgon –

RE: Rule

Not sure what you mean.

33. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Josh –

RE: Duties

God I hope you are an imposter, since I’d hate to think I hired a writer who couldn’t spell “articles.”

I think I’ll keep the blog.

34. By Corgon on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Rule

I mean the offensive pass interference.

35. By Corgon on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

sorry not pass interference, that’s different, but illegal contact or block, from the offensive player.
    I’m a bit cunfused :)

36. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Corgon –

RE: PI rule

I think yes, both players could have contact, but as a receiver, you would be in theory still wanting to catch the pass and less concerned about contact.

37. By Scott H on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Wow, lots to sort out…

First, I would say the same thing about Kolb that I would say about the defense – it wasn’t always pretty but the plays were made when they needed to be. And the end result was a win. It was another one of those games that – in years gone by – the Cardinals would lose. Maybe beating the Dolphins at home doesn’t seem like a great accomplishment. But after the game starts and it goes in a certain direction and you face adversity, it all goes out the window. At that point, it’s about overcoming the adversity – and your own mistakes – to do enough to win a game that COULD just as easily have been a loss. And that’s the difference between being 4-0 instead of 2-2. That’s HUGE. Just ask the Saints.

I did NOT like seeing the quick 80-yard bomb from a rookie QB to an totally average WR ( who will never be THAT wide open again in his life ) about 30 seconds after we finally took a lead. That was a tremendous let-down. But…see previous paragraph! Seriously, after consecutive wins against teams like NE and Philly, you kinda have to look at the Cardinals as a team primed for a let-down game, even at home against a team they should beat. And it WAS happening right before our eyes with score of 13-0. GREAT to see them over-come that.

We must have REALLY missed DD and I hope his return will be swift. These Thursday night games and the short weeks they create are a concern. NOT that I think we need the Rams to be “off” to beat them but it probably won’t hurt that they are coming off an up-set win against Seattle. BTW, I thank the Rams for that, and now I hope they die like the dogs they are 4 days from now! AND it is clear that the NFC West is THE most improved division in the league. Suddenly, it’s like the black and blue division because everyone is bringin’ the defense.

Great to see Andre Roberts emerging into such a play-maker and more balls coming Floyd’s way. The more that happens, the more teams will have to divert attention away from Fitz. And vice versa. It’s all good. With a field full of weapons, SOMEONE is gonna be open. If our QB is finding that guy most of the time, we’ll be fine.

I have been a fan for more than 35 years. And I have never seen 4-0. It looks even better than 3-0. Hmmm….wonder what 5-0 looks like….

38. By Kevin S on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

This blog is fun… you’ve got guys who have nothing but bad things to say even about a team that is 4-0, and then you have guys talking about the team not losing another game when we’ve had 3 games that were so close to the wire that they could have gone either way. R Wilson completes ANY of those 3 passes from the 4 yard line, we lose. The guy with the highest single-season FG pct in Patriot history kicks a 42-yarder, we lose. If that Kolb to Roberts pass is just a little off, or a defender plays just a little tighter and knocks the ball away or hits Roberts as the ball arrives, we lose. 4-0 tastes great but I have no delusions — this team has been VERY fortunate in addition to being good. Of course as a fan I want us to win every game like you do Dynosaur, but it isn’t going to happen.

39. By T.Stone on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

That was a great game to listen to. As a long time Cardinal Fan and former Arizona resident, I used to struggle with what to do. Watch the game or listen to the game when I wasn’t at the game? I could never do both because they were never in sync. Pashch and Wolfley are awesome. I have no choice now, but the buffering problem on the last field goal almost sent me over the edge against the Fins. I can now take the L out of Kolb’s name again and he gets his long O back now that he is winning. Nice.
    Grimm needs to get that line to run block, and run block soon

I also have heard that the little cheater that Fisher brought with him to the Rams is a friend of Larry Fitzgerald. Darren, do you think Finnegan will be on Larry exclusively and do you think he will try his antics of grabbing, hitting and head games if he is? He has done it this year with V the Redskins, took A. Johnson out of the game with a fight last year.
    Tim

40. By Kevin S on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Looks like at the online sportsbooks the Cards are somewhere between a 1-point favorite and a PK against the Rams. Even with the game being at STL, I wonder when the last time a team was 4-0 (and 8-8 the previous year after winning 7 of its last 9) was basically considered a tossup against a team that won 2 games and had the largest negative point differential in the league the previous year. Don’t get me wrong — the Rams are much improved, and I’m not taking this game lightly; any intradivisional game on the road is tough. Obviously though I shouldn’t be a bookmaker as I would’ve probably installed the Cards as more like 4 point favorites.

41. By Dre on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Go Toler get your spot back on the d. Gay got exposed that’s it back to the bench .

42. By mal on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S-

Yes, there are some funny posts on here, but these games could NOT have gone “either way”. This team is not lucky to be 4-0. They earned it.

Against Seattle they defended something like 6 plays inside the 10 yard line, including 2 bogus PI calls and an extra time out. That is remarkable skill, and will, not luck.

And that missed field goal in New England was not chance, either. They had Bethel streaking in on the left flank, PP flashing in on their right side, with CC jumping up in the middle. That kick was rushed, and pushed, and thats why it missed wide left.

Against Miami the last drive to tie the game was epic! They had to be absolutely perfect under pressure, or they lose. But thats the whole point: these guys were perfect under pressure.

I dont buy it what some people are saying — that the Cards could easily be 1-3. This team simply refused to lose these games. They were going to overcome any bad luck or bad plays or bad calls or whatever or whoever came their way.

43. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

T.Stone –

RE: Finnigan

No idea. Whomever he battles I’m sure will know he is there.

44. By Jason Marcus on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Nobody saw this coming, man Kolb looked great Roberts also, defense was beast as usual ,great coaching. I hope we can just keep it up a little longer, the San Fran and green boy games will be epic if we can pop off a couple more wins. GO CARDS!!!!!

45. By Texascard on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

I’m a super smart fan and I can find fault with my team. I have a phd in griping. I have a phd in predicting losses. I expect bad things to come. That makes me smert!!! Or maybe I dumb and like all 53 (including the evil kolb). Love the wins (lord knows we have lost a few we deserve to win). I stupid but dynosoar makes a lot of sense to me. And Sarah is more evil than kolb will ever be.

46. By Peter in Canada on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Mal – You are right. In any game that is not a blowout there are many plays where one can say if such and such didn’t happen we would have lost. As you say, the better teams do not make mistakes under pressure. The losers do. For all Tannehill’s great numbers, he fumbled and gave us the chance to tie the game with a shorter field than we would have had and we took advantage. In O/T when under pressure, instead of taking the sack he made a terrible throw and gave us field position. Again we took advantage and got the win. That is really what separates winners from losers.

47. By Chuck 1 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

mai,

Let me make it PERFECTLY clear that I am EXTREMELY pleased that the Cards are UNBEATEN. (And, like Dynosoar, I would like for the Cards to go unbeaten through the SB. Although, I’m not predicting it like he does)

HOWEVER, a team can only go to the well so many times (‘Hawks, Pats & ‘Fins).

You have argued a case that there is no doubt that the Cards should have won the games against the “Hawks and Pats.

Others (me included) believe that there was some luck involved in those two wins and the Cards could be 2-2 or 1-3.

If the OL and defensive backfield problems are resolved (and injuries don’t continue to accumulate), this COULD be a VERY GOOD SEASON.

48. By Matt on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Any idea who will be announcing the game on CBS? I’m not sure I can take another game with Nessler and Mayock.

49. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Matt –

RE: CBS team

I’m sure it will just be the feed from NFL Network. Not CBS announcers.

50. By nodavis2000 on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

brad oneill

BY FAR, that was one of the most freaking HILARIOUS comments I have ever read on this website or on NFL.com!!! I almost cried from laughing so hard…

And the sad part is that I completely agree with you!!!

51. By BIG RED on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren, do you think Skelton might be activated this week for the Ram game.

52. By Darren Urban on Oct 1, 2012 | Reply

Big Red -

RE: Skelton

I don’t know. Limited again Monday.

53. By bluepitt on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I understand the rule, because on a boot the reciver can then block for the QB and make it not fair for the defender, but pushing in the back is still cliping under that rule isnt it?

54. By bluepitt on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Sory not cliping, block in the back as stated in section 3 it didnt look like Fitz did
    A) or B). lookwd like he was stoping and was pushed in the back above the waist witch falls under block in the back.

55. By Darren Urban on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

bluepitt –

RE: Clipping/block in the back

A defender can’t do either of those things, only an offensive player. If Fitz had done it instead, yes, I’d think it was a penalty.

56. By Ymmy Yames on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Happy for the 4-0 start. I had Tanny on my bench in fantasy
    and started Eli Manning instead. I made a text to a buddy yesterday that said the following:
    “I should have started Tannehill today instead of Manning!” Said nobody EVER!

I thought that about said it for the day. Honestly, happy they recognized Gay’s struggles. Hopefully Toler can sure up that spot opposite Peterson against the Rams and not have too much pain in the knee to set him back if he gets the start.

I’m very concerned about the chances of Finnegan manning up on WR’s other than Fitz, mainly because Finnegan is such a jerk and will try and get the young players to react to his juvenile cheap shots. I’m sure Fitz will see him most of the night though.

Very excited to finally watch a Cardinals game in the comfort of my own home, here in South Dakota! Listening to the games online with Sirius has been great in the meantime. Go Cardinals! Thanks, Darren for the updates too.

57. By Kevin S on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

mal –

I agree that they earned 4-0. I’m not saying they didn’t deserve those wins. They beat the Pats outright, and the only reason NE had a 42-yd FG try at the end to begin with is that RW fumbled at a time when that was the one thing not to do. So NE was fortunate to even have a chance to win just as we were fortunate to survive that chance. It works both ways.

I’m not saying they won those games simply because they were lucky. This is a better football team than the national media gave AZ credit for. BUT, as Chuck said, you can only go to the well so many times. Even if you believe our guys altered Gostkowski’s final kick, you have to believe that’s not going to happen every time (he made 4 FG’s prior to that, including two longer ones). Even if you believe our guys played great D at the end of the SEA game, you have to understand that sometimes, no matter how great your D is, the opponent is going to score with 1st and goal from the 6. I agree that final drive vs. MIA was epic and of course, you can say the Cards won because they “refused to lose.” That’s a great story line, and sportswriters (and fans) often write these story lines after the fact to fit what just happened, but you can’t win games solely based on will to win. Professional athletes can’t simply say, “OK, we’re not going to lose…” and then survive 2 4th-downs (including a 4th and 10), or force a missed FG by the opponent, every time. The guys on the other side are trying their best too, and they also have a will to win. If Kolb’s last pass had been knocked down, would it be because we gave any less effort? Would we be justified as fans in saying, gee, the team must not have tried hard enough… they needed to “refuse to lose” but didn’t? Sometimes you do your best and the other guy makes a play.

58. By Scott H on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S / mal -

Fellas, why the debate??? Our team is 4-0, let’s enjoy that and move on. Hey, I’m pretty sure that when the Packers or the Saints or the Patriots win 13-14 games in a season, they don’t get there by winning EVERY SINGLE GAME with total domination. In any season, for every team that wins the majority of their games, there were one or two that they were probably lucky to get away with. Any team that has ever held up a Super Bowl trophy at the end of the season played some close ones that could have gone either way. Know what? When you ARE holding up the SB trophy, does anyone care??? No. because when you are holding up the SB trpohy, you don’t owe anyone any excuses or explanations. You’ve earned it. Period.

And if we were to hold up that trophy after this season or any other, I will feel like the road we travelled to get there was far less important than where the road ended.

59. By Kevin S on Oct 2, 2012 | Reply

Scott H — I agree — no one cares how the games are won, and they count the same. I’m just not that big a believer in these hindsight stories about how we “wanted it more” or “willed ourselves to win.” The fact is NFL games are played at a blinding speed, and sometimes no matter how prepared you are, no matter how hard you try, things don’t go your way. Heck, Roberts could have simply fallen down (remember Doucet vs. CIN at the end of last year’s game?). It happens. Trust me, I’m relishing every moment of these wins, but I’m not in denial that we’ve been fortunate as well as good. (And Cards’ fans deserve it, as this team historically has been snakebitten.)

60. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Bluepitt

Again, why would the defensive player be “blocking” anyone. A block in the back is an offensive penalty. There is no such thing as a defensive block in the back penalty