Whiz talks short week, Skelton, health

Posted by Darren Urban on October 3, 2012 – 12:17 pm

Well, that was quick. The Cards won Sunday, and now they are done with a “week” of practice to go play in St. Louis tomorrow night.

“It’s so weird,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said today. “It feels like Friday but it’s really a Saturday, tomorrow is a Sunday, but what day is it really? It can mess with you.”

It’s Wednesday, of course. The Cardinals will have to deal with it (every team gets a short week this season.) Whisenhunt said he’s talked to his players the whole way about the difference.

“You can’t ignore it is a short week,” Whisenhunt said. “You have to emphasize it is a short week and really as much about mental preparation and film study and making sure we are on the same page trying to get things done. You know you don’t have as many reps to practice it, so some of it has to be done just by preparation.  These guys are pros and that’s what we tell these guys being a pro is. You might not get a rep but you have to play it to your scheme and win.”

Whisenhunt said the game plan will remain like it would have been in a normal week. In other parts, the Cards will scale back. They have to.

– Whisenhunt said QB John Skelton, even practicing fully, is “not 100 percent healthy.” He wouldn’t commit to Skelton being the backup in St. Louis. And he certainly isn’t making any grand pronouncements about the starting QB job between Skelton and Kevin Kolb. Come on — you knew he wouldn’t.

“At some point, when we feel like, based on what (Skelton) has done in practice he is ready, we’ll have a decision to make,” Whisenhunt said.

– Defensive coordinator Ray Horton touched on being interviewed by the Rams for their head-coaching job this past offseason. The interview took place in Denver. “It was a privilege,” Horton said. “They were very gracious, open and honest with me of their team, of our team. I think it was a great learning experience for both parties.”

– Whiz said everyone practiced Wednesday in at least some capacity, “which is a lot better than it was last week.” Linebacker Quentin Groves was the only player to completely sit out Tuesday, so that’s a good sign. I know people keep asking about Darnell Dockett. I’d guess he’ll play. But that’s my opinion. We’ll see tomorrow night, when a lot of these guys are tested out on the field before inactives are announced.

OK. Almost time to head out for the flight to St. Louis. I’ll have a “Wednesday before” post later today.

Tags: , , , ,

38 Responses to “Whiz talks short week, Skelton, health”

1. By Blair on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I’m also headed to St Louis at 6 to watch 5-0 first hand!

2. By Dynosoar on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

When I was eight, my father showed me all the NFL helmets and I chose the Cardinals, my dad says I liked “the pretty red bird.” (I almost chose the cool lightning bolt, glad I didn’t do that.) Why are ya’ll Cardinal fans?

3. By Nick Pepe on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Only good thing about the short week is I get to play golf on Sunday and not have to worry about leaving the 19th hole to go catch the game !!!!

Safe travels

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

4. By Dynosoar on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren, is there a reason you’re aware of that Thursday night games aren’t played by teams comming off their bye week. The first game would come off the break after pre-season and have a rest. The next two games would be short weeks for the teams, but then until bye weeks are over teams wouldn’t be faced with shortened weeks. Looking forward to Wednesday before the Rams. Enjoy your visit with Kurt Warner, I hope you get to.

5. By mal on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

…Sendlein says Monday is Wednesday and Darren says Wednesday is Friday and Coach says Wednesday just feels like Friday but its really a Saturday…… hell, yeah! dont bogart that joynt my friend, pass it on over to me…

6. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Bye weeks

That doesn’t help the first couple of weeks after the opener, when byes haven’t started. I think it’s not a huge deal when everyone is doing it.

7. By joe67 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I agree, but pretty good advantage to home team not having to travel. Road team pretty much looses an extra day with travel and all.

8. By rodgerscromartie17 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

dynosaur, im a fan because i grew up downtown phoenix, my elementary school friend torrey, Anthony Edwards son, got me into the game, and took me to several with him as a kid, it sparked from there

9. By clssylssy on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

The QB “competition” almost seems as if it were scripted. Obviously KK got a fire lit under him when he wasn’t named starter and now has had an opportunity to win the job. As far as the team goes, I think whoever is the hot hand and has more ability to put points on the board consistently will be the starter however, the importance of a quality and consistent backup cannot be understated These two guys have different skill sets and I feel that we are fortunate to have the two rather than just one super star like the Colts did last year. Coach said something at one time about the possibility of using them both which could really work out in throwing teams off in their anticipation of one guy, This is going to be a tough game I think, there is a lot at stake for both teans and they each have rabid fans.
    PLAY HUNGRY AND FLY HIGH GUYS!! YOU CAN DO IT!

10. By Dynosoar on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

rodgerscromartie17,

thanks. That’s one cool dad your friend has to take his sons friends to games. Enjoy Thursday night.

11. By Steve on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren: With Beanie out, would you be surprised to see Ryan Williams carry the ball 20 plus times despite his lingering knee soreness or do you think the coaches want Powell to touch the ball 6-10 times to reduce Williams load?

12. By Sir60 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Dyno:

I saw them on TV (black & white) and thought Charlie Johnson was great. I’ve been a fan ever since.

13. By philly cards on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

I’m a fan because of buddy and the players he brought over. I liked it so much I stayed.I used to call mike golic on his morning show.he wanted to know why I told him too.most times I’d ask to stay on hold.

14. By Darren Urban on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Williams carries

In a perfect world, they’d have both, I’d think.

15. By Edjikstra on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Dyno, I became a fan in ’75. I had just moved to St. Louis and began dating a woman (now my wife) who was a fan. Coryell was the coach then and it was a great time to be a Cards fan. It is still my favorite period for the Cards, except perhaps for the Superbowl run, but I think the current period may end up surpassing that one. I love this current team.

My wife is a Rams fan and I am too, except against the Cards. I stayed with the Cards when they moved, she stayed with the city. I was able to thoroughly enjoy Kurt Warner and his heroics with both teams.

16. By Chuck 1 on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

mai,

I wondered why your posts were dis”jointed” (couldn’t resist that opportunity), but now I know that you’re a pothead.

17. By wayne on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar, I grew up in Las Vegas, NV, of course we didnt have a team, my dad, mom and most relatives are from the “show me state” so I started liking the Cardinals around 1972 and just stayed a fan when they moved to Arizona, I live in Sacramento, Ca. My 10yr old and 3 yr old sons are also Cardinals fans but thats hard around here with all the 49er and Raider fans.

18. By whitebird on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Go Skelton always willing to play and good work ethic.

19. By Lifetime Fan on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

@ Dynosaur Born and raised in AZ, born the year The Cards moved there and been going to games since I was 2. Its been rough but now all the years of losing are paying off. There is nothing better than winning when people think you can’t.

20. By johnnybluenose on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

dyno. i’m 63 years old and live in nova scotia. i started playing football when i was 12 years old and was living in montreal. i played quarterback for the saint eustache CARDINALS. i wore number 92 because the quarterback for the montreal alouettes of the canadian football league, sam etcheverry, wore number 92. sam could throw the ball. he was known as the rifleman and is in the canadian football hall of fame. when he was through with the canadian football league he went to the nfl for a couple of years and played for, wait for it, the saint louis CARDINALS. i have been a CARDINALS fan for a long time. six years ago a friend of mine said he wanted to go to an nfl game. i told him we would have to go to phoenix. when i called to inquire about tickets it was april and too early to buy individual tickets for the two games we wanted to attend. so we bought season tickets. we still have them. last year i went with seven others to watch our guys beat the cowboys and then the niners. there are a lot of CARDINAL fans here. last year the CARDINALS donated a football autographed by patrick peterson as part of an auction to raise money for the dalhousie university tigers football team in halifax, nova scotia. people noticed and appreciated the CARDINALS’ gesture. i think i want the CARDINALS to win as much as anyone even though they sometimes frustrate me. let’s hope we can stay reasonably healthy and continue to make plays. it’s early yet but a playoff spot looks like a very good possibility and if we can get a couple of games at home like we did in 2008 we could get back to the superbowl. let’s shock the world again.

21. By Roger Wehrli fan on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

My grandfather was a fan of Cards when they were in St. Louis. That’s how I became one. Earliest recollection was during 73-74 great seasons with the also great Roger Wehrli. Still live in central Illinois, but always followed them when they moved to Arizona.

22. By Fan in Chi Town on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Dynosaur –

I am a Cardinals fan because I was born and raised in Phoenix, although I live in Illinois currently.

23. By Sapper on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Dino:

In 2004, I was narrowly missed by a snipers bullet in a guard tower in Iraq. While reeling from the reality of what had just happened, I began to get angry. I’m not sure why pro athletes were on the receiving end of my tirade, but they were. I commented on how they made millions (and even complained about that) and I was away from my family for a whole year, struggling to make $30,000, and dealing with situations like the one i had just experienced. The guy in the tower with me empathized, but proceeded to tell me about an NFL player who had recently given all that up to come do what we were doing. “Well, I respect and admire that guy, whoever he is” I remember saying. That guy died less than a month later. I know Pat Tillman needs no introduction, but his sacrifice introduced me to the AZ Cardinals and out of honor, I bought his jersey and have been a fan ever since. Highs and lows – sure, but all told, I love being a Cards fan, and I’ll be one till I die.

24. By Cynicalogre on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

Dyno

I saw a game on T.V. when I was a kid where Jim Bakken ( yeah Im old ) kicked a game winning field goal with no time left. For the life of me I cant remember who they were playing, just thought that straight up kicking style was the coolest thing ever lol. Been an avid fan ever since. Living in Arkansas with all these Cowboy fans ( 6 in my household while growing up ) can be tough, that makes the game when they knocked the Cowboys outta the playoffs my favorite game.

25. By SPEEDLIMIT330 on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Neat hearing why you’re all Cardinal fans. I wasn’t always a fan. I saw the Steelers in the 70’s, and was hooked for years. That changed, when the Steeler organization sold their soul instead of kicking “Big Ben” to the curb, like they did to the troublemakers before him. Steeler organization used to be the class of the NFL.
    The Cardinal organization is class, through-and-through. One of my favorite things about them. I rooted for the Cardinals when they played Pittsburgh in the Superbowl. I always take the Cardinals over the Steelers.
    Anyway, we’re undefeated. Nobody gave us a chance of having a decent season this year. One expert said we’d win 4-games. Going to piss me off, when these jokers start jumping on the band-wagon.

26. By AzDesertRat1953 on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Dyno;
    When I was young, I would sit with Dad eating Ritz crackers with blue cheese and sipping his Hamms, when Mom wasn’t looking, watching the Cardinals on a B&W Sears & Roebucks TeeVee, my Dad Loved them Cards. He knew they were coming to Phoenix but passed in ’86’, didn’t get a chance to see them play here or their new Home, but he would have been Real Happy with the UoP, that’s is for sure.
    He always said that they should have had there Own place to play, so they didn’t have to play over a Baseball diamond and dirt until the end of October, and sometimes into November.

GO CARDS!!!

27. By jeffgollin on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Sir60 – I also watched the Cards in B&W (before the birds were added to the white helmets). I thought the “black & white” unis were cool (reminded me of the old Army “Black Knights of the Hudson” teams which ironically inspired Al Davis to make the Raider unis black & silver).

28. By Nick Pepe on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Dyno –

I became a fan in 1971 because of Jim Hart and the fact that my older brothers were Cowboys and Redskins fans and I had an obnoxious uncle who was a die hard Eagle fan. It really took flight in ’72 when my uncle was living with us and we tied the Eagles the first match-up and beat them by one point in the last week of the season. It’s funny because at the time both teams were bad, yet we watched that game and went at each other like it was the Super Bowl !!! I hope he is resting in peace and I really hope he got to see the drubbing we put on the Eagles in week 3!!! Sorry Uncle Mike I had to go there!

I get asked that question all the time being from Wilmington, Delaware right in the heart of Eagle country. In fact Darren and his posse asked me the same thing last year when they were in town for the Eagles game last year (team stayed in Wilmington). Wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Darren and he was a true gentleman.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

29. By Judy on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

ClassyLassy the QB competition probably was scripted.Nothing would surprise me anymore.

30. By jocards on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

@ Dynosoar – Baseball was my first love and I’m a fan because I was (and still am) a huge fan of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team….As a little kid it seemed only natural to latch onto the football Cardinals when I started following the NFL. Been with them ever since.

31. By red sea on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Dyno:
    IM a fan since 6th grade my teacher big football fan cowboy fan had a tournament to see whos team would get more wins as the season went on i had to choose a team and i went with the home team been a fan ever since i didnt win much either but i stayed loyal

32. By Nick Pepe on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Great stories about “why I’m a Card fan”!!! Dyno gets a shout out for asking a good question and generating many good responses.

Let’s get out of STL with a win and healthy. Then we can take the weekend off!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

33. By ebrianrossi on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

I was a bigger fan until I saw the lack of support for John Skelton. He won the starting position fair and square. Injuries are common, but to immediately act like he lost his starting position because of an ankle injury is completely out of line. Look how many chances we’re giving Kolb. Last year one was 1-6 and the other was 5-2. I don’t know how anyone could support Kolb at this point. He’s a little glass doll and will show who he is as we keep playing him. We barely beat Miami last week which should have been an easy win. Good thing we have a strong defense because our current QB continues to be sub par. The message the leadership is sending with thier fickleness and lack of committment to thier players is disappointing.

34. By Cobra on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar:

Great job! You can repost that one, you know what I mean, LOL.

35. By CDNelson86 on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Re: Why Are You A Cardinals Fan –

I was born in 86′ and grew up in arizona, (a litle town south west of Phoenix), my parents and grand parents always rooted for the cowboys and even dressed me up in cowboys stuff and bought me blankets and stuff for them, at the time it was cool to watch E. Smith run the way he did. But as soon as I could think for myself I became a Cardinals fan (at the time it was because I thought if you live in that state you should root for that team) and have been a fan ever sence. Durring the 2008 run, about 6 games into the season I told my mom that we were going to the super bowl, she looked at me and asked what drugs I was taking. And to my extream pleasure they showed my knowlage of the game. That year Fitz had a Signing at one of the malls in Phx and the first so many in line got tickets to the wild card game, and I showed up early enough that I SHOULD have got pair of tickets, instead when it was time for the people in charge to make sure to count people, about 15 people cut in line as they were counting and I was the FIRST person to NOT get tickets and it realy bothered me the way the management of that went. The lady behind me ended up winning the pair that was raffled off after the signing. I got Larry to sign the coppy of madden 08 that had Farve on the cover, and I am sure it might have been odd for him, but I was happy because it was because he was in the game i had him sign it. I’ll never forget that year and the extream Highs and Lows of the season, Especialy the way the super bowl ended.
    And I Will NEVER for give Antrell Roll for getting in Fitz’s way as he was chaising down Harrison to stop him from scoring. (and the fact he now has a super bowl ring he owes the whole cards team frm 08 that ring). I Do believe in Kolb and our offence. yes our tackles need to improve but i have to say that they are doing better than anyone figured they would. R. Williams is going to bust out and have a spectacular year to give us the 3 dimensional attck that will crush teams the way we started to do to the Eagles. I again Believe we are going back to the super bowl this year and will WIN this time. We have Won 4 games now Not playing our best. Just wait till it all falls in place and we start playing at a High LvL on all Phases.

We Do This Together! and In Whiz I STILL Trust! AND ABOVE ALL –
    GET YOUR MIND RIGHT!!

Chris D. Nelson

36. By Nick Pepe on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

@CDNelson – good story, great energy!!!!
    This game is huge and I’m sure Whiz will have them ready. My brother is a Cowboys fan and he is a miserable SOB right about now!

5 an Ohhhhh here we gooooo !!!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

37. By CDNelson86 on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Oh and P.S. to that-

I grew up on Wilson Street, my Birthday is Oct. 12. and from the first time I saw A-Dub play He has been my fav. Cardinal. I finaly got a Wilson jersey on my 24th birthday. Congratz to Kevin on the Birth of his baby and Happy Early birthday to Adrian Wilson!

To Everyone: Be safe traveling! (Fans, Coaches, Media Guys [Darren, Ron, Paul and the rest of you guys] and Players)

Much Love from a Cardinals Fan, Win or Lose. I Love This Team and The Organization!

38. By Nick Pepe on Oct 4, 2012 | Reply

Is it a sellout and how many old school cards jerseys can we see?

NP