A time to rest, refocus

Posted by Darren Urban on October 5, 2012 – 12:38 pm

With 10 days before the next game, the Cardinals need time to get healthy. As usual, coach Ken Whisenhunt didn’t have a day-after injury update, although he reiterated that the Cards have a lot of players banged up. Asked if he would like to be able to get the players on the field today and repair some of the many mistakes from Thursday night’s loss, Whiz said it wasn’t worth it.

“Physically, it wouldn’t be productive right now,” he said.

Take Darnell Dockett, for instance. The defensive tackle tried to play against the Rams, but in the end his injured hamstring allowed him to play only 19 of 56 defensive snaps. The Cards need tight end Todd Heap and running back LaRod Stephens-Howling, and that doesn’t include things that may have cropped up last night, like Ryan Williams’ shoulder injury.

I’ll have more in a story in a bit, but there were lots of questions about the offensive line today. Whisenhunt said he was “not going to panic” about the line situation, which caused a Twitter kerfuffle when I tweeted it out. Look, Whiz isn’t going to panic about anything. That’s his style. Same reason he wasn’t going to rant and rave last season at 1-6 — and the Cards aren’t 1-6. Whiz sees a line that did an adequate job in the first three games and believes it can get back to that level of play. Russ Grimm isn’t going to be fired and it sure doesn’t sound like there are changes afoot.

– Kicker Jay Feely was fined $7,875 for his personal foul penalty against the Dolphins earlier this week.

Tags: , , , , ,

76 Responses to “A time to rest, refocus”

1. By Christo on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

They will continue to miss those opportunities when the OL can’t help the RB from being tackled behind the LOS and when the QB can’t 1.5 seconds to deliver the ball.

2. By Dan on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Darren, still dont understand why Russ Grimm is not being held accountable for the terrible line play and why he is still employed with the Cards. They haven’t had a good line since he became the coach. Very frustrating to say the least!

3. By Keith on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

4. By D on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Besides pass protection, this team needs the Line to open holes for a running game, can’t be this bad running the ball, makes the offense one dimensional. Until they show that they can run the ball, defenses will continue to sell out on the pass rush…

5. By SteveG on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Easy to get discouraged by a bad outing….That is why many point out that it is a LONG season….We beat NE week two…Brady and Belichick give up? Panic? run around with their hair on fire?

The usual applies, mistakes need to be cleaned up, players need to get healthy, plans and practices have to be made and executed….I for one did not particularly like our chances of being unbeaten at the end of the season….But we were 1-4 this time last year…we are 4 -1 this year..I know which I prefer and which says..”good team, bad game”….

As part of my career in finance, part of the job was to stop clients from bailing out the window at the wrong time..to get them to look long and not overreact. 10 days rest after a bad game…It could be worse….it was just 12 months ago…

6. By azbadinals on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

I’m new to watching football, but this Kevin Kolb fellow seems like a pretty good offensive lineman. Every time I looked he was blocking 1, 2 and sometimes 3 defensive ends!

7. By azbadinals on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

I’m new to watching football, but I don’t see what all the complaining is about regarding the offensive line.

Take offensive lineman Kevin Kolb, for example. The guy was masterful at stopping defensive ends. Somehow he always had one, two, and sometimes THREE defensive players tangled up, stopping them from touching our fragile tackles.

I think he only missed 2 or 3 blocks all night – otherwise no defensive player was able to get past his stout blocking.

8. By theuglitruth on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

The boys got WORKED last night! I was embarrassed for them. Looking forward to seeing how they respond next week.

9. By dan on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Fact of the matter is, our defense played good enough to win and the game was never out of reach. I am frustrated with the offensive line considering we have a Hall of Fame coach at that position and u would think we would have a better perspective deciding on talent at that position and I do realize we have had injuries at that position. Is Potter deemed useless at this point? Can’t we put Colledge at Tackle and move Batiste or someone else at guard? I mean look at the Rams joke of a line and at least they looked like a football team.

10. By sqhead on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

I would like to give my opinion of things, opinions I’ve had for two years now, but at this point it wouldn’t be constructive. As I am just a fan, and probably don’t know as much as I think I do, I hope they can take these next ten days and rectify the situation.

11. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Gino Smith to Larry Fitzgerald in 2013!!!

I think that’s the only way to keep Fitz a Card for life. He isn’t getting any younger.

12. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

True.

13. By John Rennecamp on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

The Rams ol is bad but they are being coached up. Why cant Grimm get our guys ready?

14. By Procen on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Back when we had Haley our offense did function a lot better maybe because of Kurt but our defense is just so so. If we have Kurt right now with the defense I think we will go to another Super Bowl. I’m not trying to degrade some couches but the offensive line needs badly attention and the Offensive play calling is really not the best compare to our old one. This is just my opinion!

15. By Scott H on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Just plain ugly, that’s what that was. When your QB has been sacked 17 times in the last two games and your running game was non-existent in both…you should probably feel lucky to have won one of them.

The first drive of the game told the story of the whole night as far as I am concerned. The Rams were CLEARLY playing at a different speed than the Cardinals were and the Cardinals looked stunned and confused by what was going on. I love Patrick peterson but for the 2nd week in a row, he does something that just leaves me speechless – and for the wrong reason. What was he doing on that first play, when he was in PERFECT position to defend the long pass to Amendola but instead it’s a catch AND defensive pass interference because HE DOESN’T EVEN TURN AROUND TO LOOK FOR THE DAMN BALL!!!! If he turns around, it should be an interception. At the very least, the pass would be defended and incomplete. It boggles the mind…

As much as I feel bad for Kolb with what he has to contend with with NO pass protection whatsoever, I continue to be frustrated by his not seeing wide open receivers – like Fitzgerald on the opening drive. Should have been an easy TD. I mean…how do you NOT see a wide open Larry Fitzgerald??? Isn’t he SOMEWHERE in the progression for that play???

Speaking of plays, I find serious fault with the play calling, specifically the fact that there were not more running plays with your QB getting killed and a score of only 10-3. How do you NOT run the ball more in this game??? No, maybe it wasn’t tremendously successful when they tried to run, but it’s not like the passing game was getting us anywhere, either. That falls on the coaches.

I don’t know about panic, but how can you NOT be concerned with how this O-line is performing? Last night was a debacle. NO QB is going to play well under this kind of constant pressure and being throttled the way Kolb has been during the past 2 weeks. I give him credit for hanging in there and maintaining his composure. Sadly, it was like watching what we did to Michael Vick a few short weeks ago. Just not as much fun when you are on the receiving end.

Back to the play-calling, here’s another issue – with a 4th and goal from the 6 late in the game but with still enough time to get back in it with a TD, how do you throw a pass to Fitz at the 4??? No. That ball HAS to be thrown to the end zone, period. You HAVE to score 7 pts there!. Anywhere shy of the end zone, you don’t score if the ball carrier is tackled. And he was. And that effectively ended the game. Lousy play calling.

As much as I give the Rams all due credit for being much improved, I just feel like the Cardinals were flat, tired, and not ready to play. But BOTH teams were on the same short week. It just didn’t seem to affect the Rams. They were faster all over the field last night, and that was frustrating.

Hard to believe the teams we will be playing going forward aren’t gonna be looking at how the Dolphins and Rams just totally obliterated this O-line and won’t be looking to do the same. Why wouldn’t they??? The Dolphins and Rams made it look easy. And with the 49ers coming up? Ugh…and I’m hearing that there are no changes afoot??? Really? We’re just gonna keep doing the same things and expecting different results? Ok, I wish them luck with that. You ain’t gonna beat many teams when your QB has blood dripping down his chin from the beating he is taking, you can’t run the ball, and you’re scoring 3 points.

16. By georgiebird on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Have read the comments, and have quite a different view on last nights game-so here goes:
    1) boo of the night goes to the Cards defense that allowed the lousy Rams offense to score only 2 minutes into the game with PP being the main culprit. This set the tone for the game.
    2) the Rams special team kickers had a great 1st half with punts, kickoffs and a field goal- took our return game away.
    3) Feely missed a FG that was huge.
    4) Mike Miller called a terrible game- he improved some toward the end of the game with some screen passes and better pass protection.
    5) The offensive game plan was not prepared to handle the biggest given in the game- Speed rushes from Quinn and Long- the young tackles were not helped enough.
    6) On the long pass play to Givens, Calais gave up on the play with only one guy blocking him.
    7) the Cards defensive line looked terrible against the below average Rams OL. Campbell, and Williams were awful.
    8) the defensive backs are bad pass defenders even though PP improved when Amendola left the game.
    9) Kolb did ok considering the bad play calling
    10 Anthony Sherman and Housler looked liked the best Cards’ players

The team still suffers from a slow footed offense. But the biggest culprit here is the defense. People looking to make Horton a HC better think again. You can’t run a 3-4 defense with bad pass defense by the dbs. Wish we had a 4-3 defense and what ever happened to David Carter’s progress.
    And as bad as we played, Cards could have still won this game.

17. By kauaicardsfam on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Was Ryan Williams also knocked out for a while? Looks like he was out or was did he just lay still cause he shoulder hurt that bad?

Just wondering if he had a concussion as well?

Mahalo for your time!

18. By Scott H on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

And another thing ( or two )….is it me or were the Cardinals in 3 and 15 practically all night??? Between sacks, plays that lost yards, and penalties, we were digging ourselves into holes we couldn’t get out of all night. The lesson learned is that the one opponent you can never overcome is yourself.

And what a lousy night for the secondary – for the second week in a row. C’mon, man!!! We’re talking about the Dolphins and the Rams, for crying out loud. Not exactly teams loaded with weapons at the WR position. Not exactly teams with great QB’s, either. AND the Rams lost their BEST WR in the 2nd quarter! Geez….

19. By wallace on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

I hope we hear that Graves and Whisenhunt brings in some free agent linemen this week. If not, they should look toward a trade. One quality lineman available is Jake Scott although I don’t know of his financial expectations.

20. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Williams

He said he didn’t think he was knocked out. Looked that way to me, but he insisted it was just the shoulder.

21. By Ben on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Reminds me of the D before Horton got here. All of us on the board said we needed a change. Whiz stood by his boy. We got in someone new that knew what they were doing and now look at our D. Same needs to happen to the Oline. Grimm has been pathetic for a long time. We have ALWAYS had a bad run game and always had bad pass protection. We need a fresh look at the Oline.

And the “Look we have a rookie and journeyman” or “We had injuries what do you expect” Just does not fly with me. We should have better depth than what we have. Plus Snyder could be the worst guard in the league.

Good thing Floyd keeps dropping balls and our line never gets addressed int he draft.

But hey we are 4-1 so there is that.

22. By jeffgollin on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

I don’t ascribe to the principle that “holding someone accountable” necessarily means you have to fire the guy. But what it does mean is that someone must take responsibility for the problem and indicate (with time lines and bench marks) what changes he plans to make and how he’ll make them.

I think, given our problems, it’s not inappropriate to remove the halo from around the head of Coach Grimm and insist that he explain to mgt, coaches and fans (a) what the problems are, (b) how we got there and (c) what he proposes to do about it.

But with some degree of urgency – regardless of being 4 & 1, our OL is killing us

23. By john the draft guy on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Darren and others;

I dont know why this organization didn’t see this OLine coming??

In 2007, Levi Brown was picked in the first round. In 2008, 09, 10, 11, the cards drafted 2 olineman; Herman Johnson and Brandon Keith (neither guy is in the NFL)

When you dont draft olineman, why are you surprised you have a terrible offensive line?
    Coach Grimm, is he bad or good, I dont know. But he doesnt have much to work with.
    2012, we drafted 3 olineman after the 4th round, which usually means they need to develop.

The offensive line issues equate with the poor decisions in the draft.

24. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Darren,
    Thats what my MMA fighters say when they have a flash knockout as well. It happens so fast when they get hit they dont remember being knocked out.
    I guess the Cards staff will check him out for sure, concussions arent something to fool around with.
    Mahalo for the side line insight!
    Aloha!

25. By cardsalltheway on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Did Nate Potter play Thursday night or how many plays did he get in at LT for Batiste?

26. By georgiebird on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

How I wish that my Football Cardinals could play like my Baseball Cardinals- WHEN THE LIGHTS GO ON!!

27. By Fan in Chi Town on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

As a Cardinals fan, that was obviously a rough game to watch, but if we put things into perspective, the team is 4-1 with one division loss. I had a bad feeling about that game last night because of the short week and travel.

I remember in week 2 the Bears travelled on a thursday night to Lambeau and got absolutely demolished by the Packers in much the same way the Cards did, i think the score was 27-7 if I’m not mistaken, and Cutler was sacked 7 times. A lot of people were frustrated and angry up here.

Well since then, the Bears have won and are 3-1 and it seems that nobody remembers that game. My point is, I believe the Cardinals will take the extra half a week to get healthy, figure things out, and be prepared for Buffalo. It was one loss on a short week. The Cards beat the Eagles in the same way, and then they beat the Giants the next week, and I am sure all their fans probably don’t even think about their game against us anymore.

Think positive everybody.

28. By Jason Marcus on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

We have a great team, but when something as important as our online is a train wreck you can’t blame Kolb, he’s too busy eating dirt or avoiding guys to to complete some reads or whatever , the online needs serious help. One good thing comes from this game, they exposed all of our weaknesses on national tv, so hopefully we get healthy get our minds right reinforce the online get beanie back get our running game back. But man what a pathetic loss we could have turned it around so many times, but much like last years Cindy game we just plain old beat ourselves…..GO CARDS!!!

29. By Brett on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

The division is getting tougher, we are not in the same place as 2-3 years ago. I will agree our o-line looked like a high school team, but seeing our team the last 2 weeks they just seem gassed, granite they are professionals, but admit it there are times when we as armchair qbs throw our hands up and think a 2 minute break will help. It just so happen that our team threw their hands up at the wrong time, but life goes on and football is our escape, and I will take my 4 hours of freedom and enjoy. (BUT STILL THROW MY FOAM BRICK AT THE IDIOT BOX)

30. By Darren Urban on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Potter

Potter played one offensive snap.

31. By craig on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Grimm should have been shown the door a long time ago! Really don’t understand how our line can play bad year after year and he still has a job.

Whiz should have put Potter in the backfield to block, don’t know if that would have even helped.

Why didn’t the offense run more bang bang plays, quick read, quick release, 5 yard pickup. You just have to run those kind of plays to get the pass rush down.

P.P. needs to get his head out of his butt. Don’t know what he’s thinking about on some plays.

Hope Ryan is ok, we need someone to carry the ball.

Really need the next game against Buffalo, GO CARDS! still love ya

32. By stewart badley on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

Kolb knows that if he throws the football away to avoid sacks his completion percentage and QB rating drops so he rather takes sacks. Kolb knows that his deep throws are inaccurate. Kolb knows that his career depends on 5 yard passes. Kolb knows that he will not be on this team next year unless he takes a pay cut.

33. By Cert 33 on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

We do not have a great team. We have a great Defensive line,good linebackers, a great receiver, and a good punt returner. We definitely were “on a roll” going back in to last year, but that is over. We are no longer a mystery and every team now has the video showing how to whip our behinds. If changes are not made in the O-line, running game, defensive backfield, etc… Well, our 4-0 start is not going to mean much anymore. I don’t see anyone on the team to step in with the running game or blocking and someone needs to be acquired via the trading block. The talent is there on defense an those problems can probably be fixed by Rhodes with new schemes. Until then, I think we need to get used to losing.

34. By Eric G on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

The last time I was this upset after a loss, it was about 4 years ago after the New England debacle. Somehow, this feels worse because this loss exposed that we were not a 4-0 team. Before the game, I thought 11, maybe 12 wins. After this game, I’m thinking 8 if we are lucky. The Rams gave the blueprint and exposed the weakness. Batiste and Massie owe Kolb, the team and the fans a massive apology for yesterday.

35. By Texascard on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

I think the cards will be just fine. I am very happy with the great start considering all the injuries. Keep growing and the sky is the limit. Kolb played damn and I mean damn good.

36. By warnerHOF on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

To all of you who think it’s the offensive line and russ grimms fault. First of all there’s a reason he’s assitant head coach, because he knows the game and also knows how to coach. Most of the sacks were Kolbs fault. There were numerous times where he had a good pocket but he never would step up into it. He looks at 1receiver and if he’s not open then he’s screwed because he can’t think fast enough for his other reads. Here’s 2 examples from last nights game.He had fitz wide open down the middle of the field for a touchdown, and also roberts and another receiver were open that he didn’t see. If you notice he never moves his head to look at the rest of the field, that’s why he hardly ever throws any thing but passes 2 to 5 yards. The 3 passes he did throw downfield he overthrew. No pressure on him and they were easy throws to make. We lost 21 points right there. No defenders near our receivers i’m wondering if he has the ability for the mental part of the game. I’m not saying the offensive line doesn’t need work because they do, but they’re not as bad as some of you think.

37. By John C on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

“What stuck with Whiz was the chances, noting the Cards had a first-and-10 at the St. Louis 36- , 38- , and 27-yard lines and first-and-goal at the Rams’ 9 without scoring any points. Those are the missed opportunities he lamented.” I get so friggin irritated when Whiz says this stuff. He’s upset on missed chances??? Then how in hell does he justify the play calling? People are posting “how is the offensive coordinator not fired”. That’s the best question I’ve seen asked here. Are those honestly plays you call if you want to win? Why are you forcing the ball to Fitz from around the Rams 9 yard line to Larry when he is not in the end zone and he has 2 guys on his back and is tackled immediately? They kept doing this . God damn even the announcers are like what the hell you need to get it in end zone. Why didn’t they try a draw play to Sherman tank next to Kolb in the shotgun a couple times?? Chances are he would have powered in. The play calling is always baffling. Ive yet to see one other team who is for example in like a 3rd and 12 situation and call a play pass and not have the receivers run a route thats beyond the 1st down marker. The always throw too short into heavy coverage and the receiver is tackled and short of the first down. Every time.

38. By Jahstone on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

I will say that Russ Grimm and Mike Miller share the blame. All I can think is that even Warner would have hit those open recievers and we walk away with a win. You can all blame Grimm, but if you keep putting out back-ups and later round draft picks, what do you expect? He is not a mircale worker. Go Cards!!!

39. By Chuck 1 on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

PP in pass defense = McFadden ???

As I said in a different thread about Russ Grimm’s OL problem: “You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear” i.e. if Grimm isn’t given any talented OLinemen through the draft or Free Agency, he can’t have a good (or great) OLine.

Therefore, the fault with the OLine lies mostly with Rod Graves, not entirely Grimm.

40. By philly cards on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

can we maintain success be stable and consistent (roberts is a top example of inconsistent,terrible route on bomb) that’s what’s being asked of the coaches its not delivered.

and going for “the best player” how do you plan long term with that approach.it can’t work over time if your not filling top “needs” each year.maury has determined that’s a cop out.

How many holding calls did we have? They got beat so bad im sure it was very few.its true the line was neglected all this time.oline issues since gandy went down.every week another weakness exposed.

Not only that we have a green running back to depend on.people are paid to anticipate problems (graves.keim Whiz)

If this doesn’t end well its gonna hurt alittle more.only kolb can save us

41. By azcards24 on Oct 5, 2012 | Reply

it’s good to hear the opinions of fellow fans. calms me down. to hear opinions from people who really want to see this team win. sometimes i feel like the whole world is so quick to write the cardinals off.

42. By bluepitt on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

UM I don’t get it, first people say “Get the ball out quicker” then they say “Kolb didn’t have time to throw, and was under duress all night” then they cuss his name because the “GREAT FITZ” was not his first read every play and he was missed on a wide open shot! Do these people know Fitz is not the only player playing? If the call is to look at your hot rout “DUCETTE”, “ROBERTS” or “HOUSTLER” and you see he is open, then you have to throw it to him quick before they pound you again! Then some of the drops happen and Kolb is a Demon for missing a wide open Fitz! WTF do you want? I know why he wasn’t throwing quicker in some plays, He was worried they were going to strip the ball when he cocked back to throw? Doucette dropped a TD that hit him in the hands, Houstler misses a great back shoulder I can go on and on!
    Darren, If we had a healthy Wells do you see a STRONG possibility of 2 TD when we were on the Goal on a couple of the several times we visited?

43. By robert on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

wiz/darren anybody please tell me we did not put Bridges in the game at OT? That man is a physical player who will change the culture of the OL. On the Rams, wasn’t there an ex Jet named Hunter who was run out of town from NY? Those guys were all cast offs and coached up.
    Miller stinks. He was confused by the 4 rush d linemen and called terrible plays iall night when we were in close to the end zone.
    This game so reminded me all those years where AZ had no respect, since we go on national tv and become a joke.
    Kolb is not afraid but after you get sacked 19 times in 2 games, you tell me who could handle that….
    so if we can’t run or pass protect, the we go 7-9….and as far as the first play of the game, PP looked like a scrub..terrible technique..and if that kid amadello didn’t gt hurt, PP would have been torched all night. He might be one day a number 1 shut down corner back, but not anywhere close today

44. By cardsalltheway on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

“cardsalltheway –
    RE: Potter
    Potter played one offensive snap.”

Batiste’s helmet must’ve come off forcing him to come out of the game in order for N. Potter to have a 1- snap chance. Or Batiste was temporarily injured(wind knocked out) because we don’t learn about whether our OL bench players can play otherwise, not even when starters play badly. There isn’t any repercussions for bad OL play with the Cardinals/Grimm/Ken W. Heck we can’t even be forward thinkers and think that maybe Batiste could use a break now and then with the short week. Our OL doesn’t get replaced or demoted, changes only occur if there is an injury.

What a wasted opportunity to get a rookie in the game to promote a total team effort. N. Potter must feel like a useless 6’6″ 300+ pound being. It appears “team building” has been forgotten among our coaching staff.

It’s not a surprise that Ken W. didn’t point a finger at himself and/or coaching staff. As for the OL, again, there isn’t any repercussions for playing badly during the game as evident with Potter playing only 1-snap. Isn’t it possible that Potter could ever block a DE better than Batiste? Perhaps he could naturally do something that Batiste doesn’t do against any given player. Don’t some players sometimes simply play better than others? On a positive note, our OL could all learn something in this situation but that might require more prep or work during the game by Grimm, okay now I see, so silly of me.

“no flogging” by coach Ken W.

It’s not like he hasn’t done it before i.e. Beanie W. and Tim Hightower for fumbling the ball. I guess not doing your OL job isn’t fodder for “flogging.”

45. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

That’s the beauty of a long season, the ebb and flow.. enjoy it, we’re ahead so far bro/sis. I recall when times were desperate.. this ain’t it;)

46. By azfiremagoo on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren pretty sure you should have a well deserved weekend off but by chance were there many players at the facility on friday getting treatment, reviewing tape? if so who? frustrating game but all is not lost. we all look the tackle but interior line play must improve also. too many times in pass pro they are getting torched also and i really believe a lot of the run game deficiencies are due to them also. the line of scrimmage is always in our backfield.

47. By Scott H on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Fan in Chi Town –

Sorry , but pointing out that the Rams were on the same short week as the Cardinals is not negative – it’s simple fact. And having to travel to St Louis isn’t exactly a cross-country trip. The Rams have been horrible at home over the last several years against divisional opponents. So, it’s not like we were going into a tough place to play, either.

There are no excuses for this one. The Rams were the better team in every way possible Thursday night. And the better team usually wins. The short week thing is out the window when it applies equally to BOTH teams.

48. By Scott H on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

wallace –

Agreed that the O-line needs to be the top priority going forward. But what about the question of why it has NOT been addressed for the past several off-seasons??? The organization should be taking it on the chin – just like Kevin Kolb has the past 2 weeks – for their failure in this area. And the level of god-awful that we are seeing is NOT simply accounted for by the injury to Brown. Are we probably a little better with Brown in there? Yes. But probably just that – only a little better.

This team has done a tremendous job of drafting on the defnesive side of the ball, no doubt. But I believe free agency is a great opportunity to land top level O-lineman. Trouble with that is is that when free agency starts and for about two weeks after, this team is nowhere to be found. The Alan Fanecas of the world aren’t gonna cut it. Straight up, this team needs to stop trying to get bargain basement steals during FA and needs to get in the game. For real.

49. By GregL on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Other offensive lines have injuries. But I don’t know of any that give up 17 sacks in two games. If there is, I would like to hear about it. How do they expect any quarterback to succeed under those circumstances?

50. By Jetstreamgreen81 on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Is it me or does it seem like the last 2 weeks we are playing a zone defense and not trying to put pressure on the QB. Too many wr’s running free across the middle of the field or cb playing back and an lb in front of them allowing the wr to sit down between them and make an easy catch. I can’t believe that they made no adjustments for extra blocking help for the tackles all game long. Once again outcoached in every aspect of the game which is no suprise. I don’t think Whis knows what that word means. I figured that that Miami game would be the wake up call they would need coming into this game but I was totally wrong. Couldn’t have been more pathetic in all aspects of the game. 17 runs compared to 50 passes, even if you don’t make good yardage with every run you have to stick with it to keep them honest. How about using Powell more. He looked good on the screen and running. He led the nfl during the preseason in yards. He has some power to him and if Williams is healthy, they would be good polar opposites to attack a defense with. I know other than the 2 long pass plays the d played decent but those plays can’t happen. Enough griping. I expect a domination of the Bills and anything less is unacceptable. ( Although this will be the game Mario Williams looks llike he has in the past. I hope I am wrong)

51. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

bluepitt —

RE: Beanie

I do think Beanie would make an impact on the running game. Whether that would have been TDs against the Rams, I can’t say.

52. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

Robert —

RE: Bridges

Um, Bridges is out for the season.

53. By Darren Urban on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

azfiremagoo —

RE: Players

There were players there. I’m not naming who because I didn’t take roll, and I believe they all came in at one time or another.

54. By AzDesertRat1953 on Oct 6, 2012 | Reply

SteveG, I could not have said it better.

I remember 1 [and what seemed like forever] 6, last year and what that Felt like!

4-1 This is a Feeling I can live with, sure things are not Perfect but what is?

I feel for these guys on these short weeks, anybody else Here who can do a Sunday Slug out with another Good team, then do it again, on the Road, in four days?
    If not maybe it is over your head at this point in the season. I for one am Glad the short week is done Now!!

[What if the Rams had to come here Thursday, after that game they had with the Seahawks?]

Keep doing what your doing is what I say.

GO CARDS!!!

55. By Fan in Chi Town on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Scott H –

I respect your opinion. I realize there were a lot of negative things on the Cards’ side of the ball in that game, however, I am trying to stay positive. Believe me, I was just as frustrated and angry as everybody else watching it.

I was merely pointing out that good teams have bad games every now and then. The best example I could come up with was the Bears’ week 2 loss to the packers. They travelled on a Thursday night (same time zone, only about 3 hours away) and got the crap beat out of them as well. they seem to have figured things out though, andI have confidence that the Cardinals coaching staff can as well.

I also have complete confidence that when the Rams go to UofP that they will get their butt kicked because I believe the Cards will be much more prepared.

56. By bluepitt on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

@Darren,
    I understand that, but I was just thinking that Wells has a great % from inside the 15..

57. By Brandon on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren. Is there anyway I could send you an email in private?
    Brandon

58. By Darren Urban on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: E-mail

My e-mail address can be found on every story I write.

askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net

59. By Mark, From Chandler on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Do we know what the Cards got forJefferson?

60. By Darren Urban on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Mark —

RE: Jefferson

I have not seen exactly. Probably depends on Jefferson’s total playing time this season. Probably around a fifth- or sixth-rounder, I’d guess.

61. By Troy on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I believe that we are still progressing. We being Cards Nation. WE do this together, right. Why don’t all of you that were praising the team that went 4-0 keep praising the team that is 4-1? We are one of only possible 6 teams with this record after week 5.

How good we’re we before Wiz? Grimm? Horton? So shut up and support.

11-5. Enough said. We are the best team in the best division in football right now. Let’s enjoy the ride.

CARDINALS all the way to the playoffs.

62. By Chuck 1 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I’m ready to predict Graves’ and Keim’s 2013 draft picks (based on their previous years’ picks).

#1: LB
    #2: DL
    #3: SS
    #4: FS
    #5: RB
    #6: TE
    #7: QB

Notice any positions that are missing?

63. By Scott H on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Fan in Chi Town –

And I respect your opinion as well, don’t get me wrong. Any frustration coming through in my posts was a result of that game, which I believed going in was one that we should have won. I guess I struggle with moving on sometimes, but…not much else I can do, ya know?

As for the Cards being more prepared, well, let’s hope that starts next Sunday against Buffalo! How they play in this one will speak volumes about this team. At home against a team that they SHOULD beat, we SHOULD be able to expect a solid win. We’ve shown that we can absolutely dominate a good team like the Eagles. And we’ve shown that we can be absolutely dominated by a lesser team like the Rams. ( It’s hard for me to say the Rams are a lesser team after Thursday night, by the way ) So…now what? Who are the Cardinals? I think this game will say a lot about that.

And a win would sure be nice, too, because after that, we are –

At Minnesota
    Home for San Fran
    At Green Bay
    At Atlanta ( after the bye )

That’s brutal. A few weeks ago, I would have said our D could keep us in a game with anyone. Well, the last two weeks have brought me crashing back to earth. When you can’t stop Ryan Tannehill and Sam Bradford and a cast of completely average WR’s, you don’t exactly look forward to Aaron Rodgers / Matt Ryan and some of THE best WR’s in the league. And Alex Smith ain’t looking too bad, either.

I think we will beat Buffalo and will HOPE we can go 2-2 through the next 4 games.

64. By johnnybluenose on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

hey Troy. i can agree that the nfc west could be the best division in the nfl but how can you say the cardinals are the best team there? not after the niners won their last two games by a combined total of 79 to 3. i was at the jets game last sunday. 34- zero for the niners. it was ugly, very ugly. i did not watch the niners today but we all know the score. we will have our hands full with them, that’s for sure. and, as good as our defense can be, it is no better than any of the defenses in our division. they are all very, very good. if our offense does not start improving and quickly, we will struggle against the niners (twice), the bears, the falcons, the vikings and the seahawks on the road. i think we can win the other games, and that includes the packers and the jets on the road, that’s a record of 9 and 7. we would need some good luck to win ten games this year. i want us to win. i hope we can win. but i’m realistic. we have some significant weaknesses.

65. By Texascard on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Is the lack of snaps for powell a protection issue?

66. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

I have decided to not look at the schedule again, take ‘em one at a time. Have you looked? OMG!! Lol. One at a time bros/sis. Dang.

67. By Cert 33 on Oct 7, 2012 | Reply

Some of the comments here seem to ignore the fact that we were not only smoked by the Rams but we were absolutely hammered by the Dolphins on both sides of the ball as well just a few days before that. 17 sacks in two games. Rookie QB in his 3rd start lights us up at home for over 400 yards. Relatively unknown wide receiver gets well over 200 yds. I think Whiz needs to name a starter at QB, it doesn’t really matter whether it’s Skelton or Kolb, and stick with him. I don’t think there’s much difference in talent between the two, without a consistent running game times are going to be tough. Trade the other one of them with a high draft pick to a QB poor team for a premium offensive lineman. We can get by with Lindley and Bartell at #2 & #3.

68. By dan on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren………does Michael Floyd have trouble catching the football? You see him much more than the fans do, just curious because he rarely catches the ball cleanly from what I’ve seen. He just seems to have the stone hands look to him. Maybe Fitz can teach him a few things. I swear Fitz hands are like magnets to a football, never seen anything like it.

69. By clssylssy on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

@ Georgibird
    LOL! Wish the Cards were as consistent winning games as your are in nitpicking and criticizing…you ARE a piece of work! I Perhaps you ARE following the wrong Cardinals and should go back to baseball…LOL! IF, you had been paying attention to football you would know that the St.Louis kicker put up a 60 YD FG against the Seahags and these weren’t the Rams from yesteryear. Every team struggles, even my other bird team, The Ravens, with their mighty D struggled against the Chiefs, barely getting out with a 3 point win in what looked more like a baseball score, and the Packers blew a 20 point lead to the fledgling Colts! Our toughest games are ahead of us and we are going to have to work on our technique, quit making mistakes, and get some fire in our belly…cause we are smarter that the other guys and when we are on we are an exciting, tenacious bunch, who are scrappy enough to beat the bullies. Can’t believe you’re now bashing Horton! I just have to wonder if you are as good in your job as you expect these guys to be. I figure if we win the rest of our home games AND find a way to WIN OUR DIVISION GAMES we will be OK for a shot at the playoffs. The Vikings, 9ers, and SeaHags will be our toughest and the Rams game at home will be a nailbiter. We can do it and this was ONE game. I got the impression before the game that nobody wanted to be there which is the job folks! As far as all this bickering about Kolb and Skelton, and the various other targets, remember they all wear the same uniform and are one. Our backups have to be a strong as our starters and so really are our unsung heros. Next week it’s the Bills at home…let’s get some retribution! GO CARDS! FLY HIGH!

70. By Cwood on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I am a long term season ticket holder and this is my first post. I finally could not take it anymore. Did Coach Whiz ever mention the word, “unacceptable”? OK, take a meidocre team into SL and at least look like a prepared professional football team. I think I am just being realistic about this team. Teams lose and I never expected a Super Bowl championship from this squad. I also don’t know how meaningful 4-1 is when the play is not commiserate with the record.

Does anyone find it cruel and unusual punishment to have Massie out at RT? Sure, he wants to play but really if that is the best we have then well hmmm. Why 17 sacks over two games? Well, coaching staff it is the NFL. Other teams watch films too. In addition to the fact we can’t run, and the quarterback can’t read a blitz and make a hot read or change into a run, and our best offensive weapon is always “bracketed” or some other rationale why we can’t get the ball downfield to Fiz, oh, and we can’t block—well we just have a poor offense.

Truly hope I am wrong about this team. I desperately want to eat crow! I am sick of the 49ers and Harbaugh. Please Cards prove me wrong.

71. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Stewart Badly,

You must not be watching the same games we are watching. Cause what Kolb “knows” is that the sacks are coming on 3 and 4 man rushes… Which means the receivers are COVERED. What Kolb “knows” is that a sack is much better than an interception. But then again… What do you know? Nothing.

72. By Cardinal's Chick on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

@Keith

You said “So whiz is lamenting about those missed situations…yet doesnt correlate those with our pathetic line? The sad part is that he will believe the problem is solved next year when we get Brown back from injury. That is like putting scotch tape on a pipe leak. i.e. bigger problem and a bad fix.’

Why do you assume he hasn’t “correlated” the issues with the O-Line and the missed situations? Is it because he chooses not to publicly blast the O-line and point the finger in their direction you make this assumption? Couldn’t it be that he chooses not to take that approach, and instead address his concerns in a more productive manner, with the people (the players, specifically the O-Line) it should be directed to…which isn’t the fans???

Further you go on to say he will believe the problem is solved when Brown is back. Really? How do you know that? What makes you feel that way? Did you think Graves/Whiz were completely smitten with Brown when they dragged their heels a bit during FA before resigning a contract with him? Or, do you suppose they were taking some time to evaluate the available talent, and when it was determined there wasn’t anyone available, it was then Brown was offered a new contract. At no time during the off-season, pre-season, and now regular season has Whiz said anything that led me to believe he is NOT aware of the issues with the O-line. Instead, I get the impression he is doing the best he can playing the hand that has been dealt right now.

I don’t think he is a perfect coach. But I do recognize, that I am just a fan. And, while I have great appreciation for the game, and certainly have an opinion, I understand there is so much that goes into a coaching decision, I cannot possibly make a well informed judgement most of the time.

smh…

73. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Texascard —

RE: Powell

Not sure. One report had him getting hurt, although nothing was announced.

74. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Dan —

RE: Floyd

He has had his issues here and there in camp, from what I saw. But it is early.

75. By Buck on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Cardinal’s Chick
    Good post..

76. By bluepitt on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

@Cardinal’s Chick,
    As I do agree with some of your post, I have to point out the fact that we took Williams in the second round! We need OL but they took the “best Player” on the board? I wonder sometimes if the board is all skills players? I’m not sold on the Floyd pick, jury still out on that one. And no I was not in Williams corner prior to the injury, or ever for that matter. It just seems that we are after the skills players first and formost!

I have heard Whiz call out the OL,”we have to have better line play” I do not think he needs to harp on it, or go further than that.
    I do see Kolb hitting his hot routs and most are dropped by the WR’s, because they didn’t ADJ for the blitz. I do see protection problems with our Backs not able to pick up the Blitz, Example: Hightower played on passing downs more than wells in wells rook year, because THT was better at pass blocking than wells was. Who do we have that is established at picking up blocks in the back field?
    Over all it is a collective break down on many sides not just the OL.

You said
    “I’m always amazed when people so far removed from Whiz are able to interpret what he means/intends and question his decision making…from their position front and center on the couch every Sunday.”

Why??? that is what this blog is about, with out the input and all of the things that go with, be it bad or good we don’t have this fine Blog! And I would not read it if it was all roses and purdy! I want to know who is thinking like I am and who is thinking differently, or who caught something that I may have missed good or bad.
    Why do you think Whiz has press time? To explain what his thought process was and is, and why he made this decision or that decision, and what his intentions are or were? like it or not the fans are who fill up UPS and buy NFL gear, If you are a Head Coach in the NFL you are under the spot light every second and are held acountable for all your actions, intentions & decisions Whiz wanted to be the HC and knows he has to explain tons of things after a W or a L!

Regards, from my position front and center on my couch every Sunday and the occasional Thursday.