Dealing with the absence of Ryan Williams

Posted by Darren Urban on October 8, 2012 – 12:00 pm

Monday brought some hard news to the Cards: Running back Ryan Williams ended up needing surgery on his shoulder and is out for the season. I know there were some who wondered about it being a shoulder injury at the time, but there is no question about that now.

UPDATE II: Williams said his injury is a coracoid process fracture, which he said is rare. He is having his surgery Tuesday. For more details, go here.

That leaves LaRod Stephens-Howling, William Powell and Alfonso Smith as the running backs. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said there is a chance the Cards could sign someone but he didn’t commit to it. The Cards have to hope Stephens-Howling is healthy after missing two games with a hip injury, and everyone waiting for Powell to get his chance is now going to see it. But Beanie Wells remains out until Nov. 25 at the earliest and the Cards’ running game, which needs to improve anyway, takes a personnel blow.

“That’s the NFL,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “Teams have to fight through adversity and keep going. We’ve done a good job of that the first five weeks of the season, and now we’ve got another challenge, but that’s okay. We’ll work through it.”

I know people have suggested Tim Hightower, for one. Again, I don’t see them rushing to sign anyone right now, and if they do sign someone, I don’t know if he would jump in and get playing time above the three guys here already anyway.

For Williams, it’s a second straight season he’ll end up on injured reserve, although this time the time frame to return is three months, Whiz said, so while he’ll miss the season he’ll be back for the offseason. Frustrating for sure — Williams insisted after the Rams’ game he as going to be OK – and Williams’ mental strength will be tested once again. He’s got to be crushed. He’s an emotional sort anyway, and this is devastating. UPDATE: I know people want specifics on the injury, but Whiz declined to get specific. Here’s the story.

Tags: , , ,

96 Responses to “Dealing with the absence of Ryan Williams”

1. By Nick Pepe on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I feel so bad for him, my stomach is just sick. He worked so hard to get back. I hope and pray he feels better soon and I know he has the fight in him to get back to 100%.

Time to step up Mr.’s Smith, Powell and the Hyphen.

Heartbroken for Lil Sweet.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

2. By Jonathan on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. By scubasteve12 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

that really sucks

4. By lixto on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

wtf is it with us drafting injury prone players, so much untapped potential and never could it going… lil sweetness might be done

5. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren, didn’t you mention Powell was possibly dinged as well?

6. By NJAZCardsFan on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

He has had some really hard luck. One has to feel really sorry for the kid. Overcoming adversity builds character and he is going to have alot of character…..

Darren- What was the nature of the injury that it required surgery??

Everyone is going to ask now about the return of Tim Hightower?????
    I personally would like to see that.

Kolb’s performance was gutsy considering the line was a sieve……. If Manning was playing for the Cards in that game, he would have been carried off of the field.
    I think Kolb could be a decent QB if he had some protection and time to get rid of the ball.

7. By Dynosoar on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Ryan, Beanie, please mend well and come back to us. While I love football, I’ve never liked to see injuries, to either team. It was great to see so many of our players gathered around an injured Rams player the other night, we have a bang up (and banged up) team this year.

The best teams overcome injuries and still go on to win deep into the playoffs, even the super bowl (look at GB’s win a couple years ago.)

8. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Wow. Will learn the resolve of this OL now. Noticed Snyder panned by PFT. Wonder if Ornberger can play G as well as FB? I think Powell and Smith will do fine if OL gets organized.

9. By Mark on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Do I Here Hightower To AZ Again? Or Joseph Addai

10. By Jeff Garney on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I love the way Williams runs the ball…even when the line has not given him big holes he really charges the gaps. Stay strong!

11. By Ro0kie94 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

My expectations for this year 4-12-0 -.-

12. By Mike G on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren. That is a tough blow to the Card’s and to Ryan personally. I feel bad for him. The remaining 3 backs must step up and contribute. I was concerned when the season started going with Beanie and Ryan entering this season. I like their talent but their durabilty is questionable. After 5 games we have neither. I never liked that Hightower trade at the time–thought he was durable and good in blitz pickup-
    Like the Hyphen but dont know if he can be a 14-18 carry guy week in and week out!!!-Hey Darren–Did Whiz say anything about Hyphen’s status???? I guess he needs to see him practice!!!!!

13. By Ditship on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Well this sucks about as much as sucking can suck in my book..

14. By Rich on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Niners never seem to get hurt. We always seem to lead the league. Tough break. We need to draft a durable back.

15. By Bill on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

From what I understand, Tim Hightower is looking for a team. Sign him. He knows the offense. He knows the position. And he isn’t a bad runner. Bring back Hightower!

16. By Mike on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Too bad Ryan Grant just signed with the Redskins….We need to pick someone up. LSH is a small back that I’m not sure could carry the load. Not sure the production out of those 3 guys if they split carries… but we didn’t have much production from the run game before the injury anyways

17. By Austin on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Anyone in particular whom they may look at in free agency?

Austin

18. By Mike on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

-Darren,

Bringing back Tim Hightower…is that an option???

19. By Brian on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Lixto-

Lil sweetness is far from done. But I hope you and everyone else keep doubting him, it will only make him stronger.

20. By scubasteve12 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I really hope he comes back next season and tears it up. as long as the oline is fixed. Have high hopes for williams. I for one am not giving up on him

21. By Dynosoar on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

We’re Cardinals! Lets fly high. I’ve posted this before and still believe it. (Slightly modified.)

Kolb and 5 on the O-line.
    Fitz, Doucett on his left

Roberts and Floyd on his right

Keep Housler, Powell, Sherman or the Hyphen ready for a screen from the backfield, they’re all great in open space and can catch.

We wouldn’t need the run, just pass for touchdowns, 1st downs and short throws in space.

No team’s secondary could match. If they blitz, at least two would be open.

If their secondary hangs back, a screen or pitch to TE, FB or RB’s would create huge yardage.

Forget establishing the run so we can pass, establish the pass so we can run. Make them fear our Wideouts and then they will fear Housler, Hyphen, Powell and the Shermanater.

If this is a pass happy league, let’s pass!

500 yards passing per game! In modern warfare, whoever controlls the air controlls the ground. The other team would have to go to the air because of our touchdowns putting us so far ahead and then our pass rush and secondary would have a field day with turnovers.

22. By mike hadzinski on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

-D-

Starting to look like a wasted pick b/c of injuries sad really some krazy weird injury.

23. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Powell

I saw that reported but I have not heard anything and don’t have reason to think it right now.

24. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Wow,
    What a tough break! rough year for Ryan, Hope for a speedy recovery!

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Hyphen

LaRod was supposedly close Thursday. I think he’s expected to be able to play this week.

26. By Mike Miller on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

There is a clear answer to the RB problem here. We need to trade for Ryan Mathews. Trade Early Doucet and a late round pick. San Diego doesn’t want him anymore. He’s worth the risk (Pro Bowl last season). Do it Graves! Powell, LSH and Smith are not the answer. LSH is the man, but not an everydown back. Mathews with LSH in the rotation would add a whole new dimension to the offense. Oh wait…. we can’t block very well.

27. By Mr Robles on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Keep your head up Ryan, we still have love & support for you hope you get better asap thanks for all the hard work you have put in. Please pass that message to him Darren Thanks

28. By Jason Marcus on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I hate to see stuff like this Williams is a good egg …..he wil lbe missed, well WIpo an alfsmith looked great in pre season so get ready for these guys they are good.

29. By lixto on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

ive always love ryan williams his charater is unmatched but if his body aint up to par am sorry u just aint cut to be running back…

30. By georgiebird on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

All the best to Ryan, he seems like a good kid. Ryan was still trying to figure out the Pro game. It’s not like Ryan was lighting it up at this stage of his career. Looking forward to seeing more of Powell, Smith and any surprises.

31. By Kurt on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Hightower is in shape and did not burn his Cardinal Bridges.

32. By Peter in Canada on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren – The Williams injury means LSH is the only real quality RB and he is not a workhorse type back. The other backs are mediocre. Sherman on the other hand is a great blocker and a real big load. I think it is long overdue to use him in short yardage with someone like Dockett as the upback. He can also be in the 3 receiver set to help the tackles and run screens. All is not lost. It is a pity about Williams. He and Toler were not at their peak after the injuries. We heve yet to see his best and hope he is ready for 2013.

33. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Chester Taylor is done, no?
    Can McNabb play RB?

34. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Taylor

I think Taylor was done before he even got here.

35. By Trucard on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Wipo is up next. I think this is a problem worth making a trade for. The only guy on the waiver wire worth looking at is Steve Slaton. We could trade for a solid backup RB. Maybe a 5th or 6th rounder.

36. By cardsalltheway on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

“I think Taylor was done before he even got here.”

Sounds like someone else we all know or have seen, unfortunately too much.

Brian,
    You might be correct but if he comes back the only thing that will happen is that he’ll get hurt again, next!

Please to not sign another RB(Hightower) with a major knee surgery under his belt. No RB available on th wire can accomplish much with our OL. So, just give it to whom we already have and let’s see William Powell finally get his chance to show us how wrong Ken W. has been?. And, how about trading the Redskins our two RB’s B. Wells and R. Williams for 6th round rookie RB Alfred Morris?

37. By zbot on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

crap!! must…have…faith.

38. By Andy Kw on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think this will impact the Cardinals much. Ryan Williams has struggled the past 5 weeks and we already have the preseason running leader in William Powell and we got the speedster LaRod-Stephens Howling so no need to worry. I believe once he heals for next year, he will be 100 times better than he ever was this year. I think it is time to bring back John Skelton. Whether the offensive line struggles for Skelton, he makes the right plays. Kevin Kolb has done well but we never really had a chance to see Skelton in action other than the 3 quarters he played in Seattle.

So hey Darren,
    Will John Skelton be able to play against the Buffalo Bills?

39. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Andy Kw —

RE: Skelton

I don’t know if he will be healthy enough to be active. I expect Kolb to start.

40. By Eric Y on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Tim Hightower would make sense, but I read somewhere that he hasn’t recovered from his ACL. Darren, do you have any knowledge on where Hightower is with his recovery?

41. By cardsalltheway on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

After R. Williams went down, was knocked out and/or injured his shoulder, did we actually put him back in the game? And we’re not hearing exactly what’s wrong with his shoulder because…?

42. By Mary bone on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I really hate to say this, but we did NOT have arunning game with either Wells or Williams in. I am very sorry they are injured and I do believe Ryan will be a great back if he can stay healthy.
    Hopefully Powell can live up to his pre-season reputation and LSH will come through in the tight spots..
    LOVE my Cardinals…We have survived worse than this (miss you Kurt) you GOTTA BELIEVE…WE CAN DO THIS…

43. By Andy Kw on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

We Cardinals need to improve on the O-Line. Bobbie Massie and D’Anthony Batiste keep struggling and struggling. This is what I think the Cardinals should do: Call more plays that add extra offensive linemen on the field so that the QB feels more secure. Add Rich Ohrnberger to the right side of the OL and add Nate Potter on the Left side. I keep noticing Linebackers of the opposing team going through the opening on our OL and I say more protection is needed to guard our QB. I say it is time to activate LaRon Byrd into a playing role. We need more plays where 5 Wide Receivers can try to catch the ball. I also think it is time to bring back Tim Hightower. He was impressive in Arizona for the 3 years he has been here and I think he will make our running game shine. I am hoping Todd Heap returns against the Bills because we need all the protection and skills he provides for this team.

44. By Scott H on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Well, this is certainly the worst case scenario of the rather thin ice we were on with Wells and Williams and their respective histories of injury. There was the potential for a VERY good tandem with these two and there was just as much potential to lose both of them for the season. Sure seems like the football Gods are socking it to this team right now with injuries. Can’t keep losing pieces and expecting the puzzle to look the same.

On the bright side, Powell and Smith looked like the best RB’s we had during the pre-season. Maybe we will see one of these ( or BOTH! ) guys emerge now that they have the chance to shine.

On the negative side, it’s hard to have much confidence in either Wells or Williams going forward.

45. By rick Phares on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Dang it, that sucks. Not that our running game was doing well anyway I just like Ryan and his attitude. Hang in there Ryan, things happen for a reason even if we don’t know what that reason is. Maybe your showing somebody how to overcome struggles in life who knows. Stay with it, see you next season!!!

46. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Eric Y —

RE: Hightower

No idea.

47. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway —

RE: Return

Williams did not go back in the game.

48. By D on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I know this would never happen, but how about giving up Doucet for Joe Mcknight? He appears to be unhappy and Rex kinda of insulted him playing him on defense….Jets could use another WR..

49. By exatraz on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Well this reaffirms my idea for next years draft, I know its a bit soon and I have no names to the positions but yea OL would be nice. However as I think we will be drafting about the same position as this year, maybe a bit later, it would probably make us stretch for one like we would have had to this year. I completely agree with BPA concept of drafting and because of this I was thinking a RB wouldnt be a bad pick up. With the injury concerns we are suffering between Wells and Williams. Not to mention the quantity and quality of RB’s going to be entering the draft this year it might be good to pick one up. Having a consistent and solid running game will help take pressure off the OL and allow us to pass the ball more efficiently.

50. By Rowan on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

This poor guy. I love how he runs. He is quick and agile but runs like he is a bruiser and has great balance. Everyone is not dogging him because he ended with a 2.8ypc average. Clearly they were not watching him. Those were steven Jackson type carries. Getting hit in the backfield and still picking up yards. I don’t think I have ever felt so bad for a player. I remember hearing an interview with doug and wolf and he was so excited for the season. Just terribly unlucky. He recovered fast from the last one, I’m sure he will work harder coming back from this one because he has that much heart.

51. By Mike in Mesa on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

So Darren hindsight being 20/20 how would you answer my question I posed in preseason now about picking up Cedric Benson?

52. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa —

RE: Benson

Well, given that Benson is also hurt, I guess it is a moot point.

53. By Credit Card on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Nice coverage. Tough luck regarding Ryan Williams. Seems like the young man sole mission in life is to be an NFL star running back, and two hard luck injuries. Jim Kick and Mercury Morris got hurt, and behold a blocking back by the name of Larry Czonka came out of nowhere and carried the Dolphins. If I where the head coach, I think finding a seasoned vet out there and slamming Sherman on quick runs between the tackles might be the answer. This news hurts the Cards big time. 17 sacks the last two weeks, with no measurable running back or running game will lead to DL pinning their ears back and sprinting to the QB. This is why quick plays between the tackles maybe effective. Cards also better perfect very quick TE passes. What are your thoughts Darren?

54. By Credit Card on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Please update some of us fans whether and approximately when Levi Brown and Chris “Beanie” Wells might return? Also fill us in on the domino effect. That is, if Powell becomes the running bak, then who will fill in his role on special teams?

last comment. I read once that the team(s) that tend to go find the super bowl, often are the ones with the least amount of injuries. If the Cards are being visited (again) by the injury bug — do you think that our trainers, physical therapists, m/b the valley heat is attribuitng this rash of injuires?

55. By dennis on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Losing Williams will hurt the most. No offensive line, no premier running back. If we have to pass on almost every down this will be a long season.

56. By in fitz we trust on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

lets just give up our first round pick for johnathan stewart from the panthers

57. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Credit Card —

RE: Passes/returns

1) I think even Csonka would have trouble finding yards these days. To be honest, it was a much different game back then.

2) Brown cannot return this season. Beanie can’t play until Nov. 25 at the earliest.

3) I think injuries are dumb luck. I don’t think it has anything to do with the heat, or the trainers. Not these injuries.

58. By johnnybluenose on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

the good news is powell and smith will probably do as well as wells and williams did. the bad news is powell and smith will probably do as well as wells and williams did. seriously, i think it is up to the o-line. if they can play better then powell and smith can have some success. but if the line cannot block against whatever defensive schemes they are faced with then it really doesn’t matter who is running the ball. i only hope that powell and smith can block for our quarterback. and i hope, like all of you, that williams gets another chance to succeed.

59. By Rio on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Shelton for Jets QB Sanzhez, throw in Beenie if you have too.

William Powell starter Baby, now everyone will see how great this kid is .

Buffola pass defense worst of all time, Cards will have field day Fitz 200 yards.

Russ Grimm hall of fame for playing not for Coaching.

60. By philly cards on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

I need hightower added kolb kept in place (full reps each wee) and leonard davis<–seriously. I don't see any other way out of this.
    Everything I complain about is here to ruin the season in lack of depth and playcalling.

I remember dave mac sitting on fox on sunday at 4-2 in first place nfc west with a feeble running game a line that would eventually prove to be a mirage.a young rb who couldn't. stay over 3 or 4 per carry.
    I think he finished 1-8.

61. By Jzoully on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Guys stop it with the negativity of criticizing our team. Ryan Williams is not injury prone, and will have the off-season to recover as much as he can, which in my opinion he will become a feature back, him and Beanie will become dominant next year (Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart?) Don’t doubt that LSH can do the job, he is a dynamic back that will bring a lot of treasure. Our offensive line is not that bad, need some tweaking is all. Maybe instead of signing a running back how about signing Jeff Otah. I just think that Massie needs to learn the right tackle position first from a veteran, then next year he will be the starter again and Otah can mentor on the bench. Levi comes back next year even stronger, and to think about it is that D’Anthony hasn’t completely taken advantage of his situation. I don’t know what they will do with him but I am sure he will be much improved next year.

Question: Does Jeff Otah fit our system Darren?

62. By georgiebird on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

The following comment by Whiz was very disturbing-“I spent all night thinking about things we could have done differently………..”.
    Problem is the time to make corrections is during the game -not that night- this is what separates the good from the very good. In my view Whiz, Horton and Miller are a day late and a dollar short when it comes to making adjustments.
    Cards went into the Rams game KNOWING there would be a big outside pass rush. There are plays to be run when the outside pass rush occurs. There are the obvious things such as helping the tackles and throwing over the rush and running thru the hole created.
    I did like Whiz’ even hand approach after the game on not blaming the game on any one unit.
    I have been consistent since last year in feeling the defense is as much of a problem as the offense. As I predicted, Horton’s defense is easily attacked with long pass plays.
    We deal with Williams’ loss by making a trade or giving new guys a shot-Williams’ wasn’t an All-Pro.

63. By John C on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Ughh jeez. Whiz isnt going to get anyone else. We all know his attitude is make best with what we have and players must step up. Too bad that isnt happening with LSH and Powell. They are wayy too small. Id really like to see him actually so what he says but not with those guys, how about giving it a bunch to Sherman with that Mauai guy blocking for him? Assuming they still have him. Now that would be some power running. Buttt..now its a season back to relying on passing all the time and other teams setting up their defense for that.

64. By rdixon50 on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Very sad for Ryan, You know the recovery routine – come back for the playoffs!

65. By robert on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

there would not be a single play this week where i would not have another tight end or full back chipping both De’s…Darrin…please answer why they did not do this against the rams? and please find out why they didn’t put in Bridges…i have asked this question a few times…i guarantee that I would not leave my quarterback sit back there with 19 sacks in 2 weeks..that has to be a record….you want o know why we don’t get any respect? Play like we did on national TV

66. By Texascard on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren, Is that Sarah in the background of the sparxx story on Ryan Williams?

67. By BigBobDiesel on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

The only thing you can do is to trade for a back. Hightower did not respond well to his knee surgery which is why the Redskins cut him, and there is a reason why the others in free agency are free agents.

You Can’t expect two undrafted runningbacks (one that didn’t even make the team this season) and an undersized special teamer to do anything in the backfield. But we all know the Cards are going to sit on what they have.

68. By tyman on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

The injuries are too bad, but it gives Alfonso Smith a great chance to prove himself. Hopefully the team focuses on the trickery to get the run game started opposed to trying to force the run on early first downs next week. That just might help out the flow.

69. By Darren Urban on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Whiz comment

Seriously? Comon Georgie. Name me one coach who doesn’t replay things that went wrong in a game after it’s over. You can’t. They all do, especially after a loss. Let’s not overanalyze here.

70. By Eazy E on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

All man, this is devastating for our team, offense, and Ryan. They are falling like flies in the backfield, we have to sign somebody that can play and that is good. I like Powell, Smith, and definitely the Hyphen, but this is the regular season and only Hyphen and Smith has some experience as a #1. We have to sign a RB that can play along with an OT.

71. By Eazy E on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Also, our running game was bad before mostly because of the o-line run blocking and you are putting worse running backs back there of course because Beanie and Ryan we’re the starters whereas Larod, Powell, and Smith we’re backups.

72. By bluepitt on Oct 8, 2012 | Reply

Sad to say but I think this is good for Williams, he needs time to get over the knee.
    As he stated him self he was thinking about it while playing, We all know you cant do that and play 100%. We will se the real Williams next year, God or bad!

73. By clssylssy on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

….and the GLOOM & DOOM AWARD goes to Georgiebird…again! The process whereby one re-examines a series of behaviors or actions is know as reflecting and re-evaluation and most intelligent and successful people do it for the purpose of improving! That you would find it disturbing, to me, comes as no real surprise, Horton’s defense is a problem? LOL…you Are a joke! …and when was the last time you took a team to a NFL Championship? Buddy Ryan once said, “If you listen to the fans, you’ll soon find yourself sitting among them” but my favorite philosophy is that “:the end of the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the curve”. Or, as Knute Rockne once said, “make the present good and the past will take care of itself”. This team is loaded with talent on the roster and the practice squad and we have excellent coaches respected by the players and within the league. That you never find anything positive to say makes me wonder why you even follow this team? I believe in this team and the coaches and know the Cards will not be counted out! FLY HIGH CARDS AND HEAL…READY TO GO AGAIN AND ONCE AGAIN SHOCK THE WORLD!

74. By georgiebird on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Disagree with you . Coaches do think about things after the game such as:
    1) kicking a field goal or not
    2) changing QBs
    3) clock management issues, etc, etc
    BUT when you are being exposed all night by the same pass rush- it’s too late to figure it out later that night.
    The Cards are 4-1 in an improving division- it’s time for Graves and Whiz to do some things-trade, personnel changes- to keep the team from stalling.
    Let’s not be like the ’74 team that was on the outside looking in at year end.

75. By nrock on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

granted kolb is no kurt warner, but i dont think he is trying to be that, he throws the ball pretty good, just needs to set in a little bit better, and the o line isnt giving him that sureness so of curse he’ll be uncomfortable any quarterback would, but there are ways to work around that and give him enough time. our running game its terrible that williams is hurt i was so excited and i knew it wouldnt be long before he broke one off for a big one, but i was also excited about powell again o-line doesnt exactly help us. so darren question is what are we gonna do about the line, i mean it obvious that our weakness is out in the open fix the line, fix the problems its as simple as that. we have a good back ryan williams my goodness, give him a couple good blocks he can put up some numbers kolb even skelton give them time and i believe they can sling that ball… food for thought..
    think about it a lights out defense, good running game, and a damn good passing game, how could we be stopped?

76. By T.Stone on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

RE: Mike Miller……. Mathews
    RE: Fitz we Trust ……..Stewart
    and others.

It sounds to me like a lot of people on this board think this is a Fantasy Football League. There is no way the Chargers are giving up Ryan Mathews for anything, let alone for Duecet and a low draft pick,
    You’re not getting Jonathan Stewart for a draft pick Fitzwetrust. Really?
    Nobody wants hurt Beanie or Williams, and obviously nobody wants Hightower either.
    The Cardinals Basically ran the ball 15 times in each of the last two games and neither game was a blow out. We need to stick with the run and pound it till the D line gets tired of it even if we have to punt. We punt it anyway after Kolb doesn’t complete it. Powell and Smith need to touch it over 30 times combined to take some pressure off Kolb. Nobody had heard of D. Murray in Dallas until he got his shot.
    Coach Whiz is coaching a “Real” football team, and Graves isn’t trading and negotiating with Martha from accounting to stock pile flyer Running Backs to prepare for the Bye Weeks.
    We have a good coach and three capable running backs that we need to utilize more. Next man up!!!!
    Go Cards
    Tim

77. By D on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Give up a 6th round pick for Chris Ivory from the Saints. A everydown player and is young with little wear on the tires..

78. By kekojones on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Hightower:

Has everybody forgotten why he was trade away? Coach hated his fumbling issues. Give a chance to Powell and Smith until Bennie comes back.

79. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Whiz comment

Well, here’s the question and full response from Whiz that contained that quote. You tell me if it falls into your definition. Sure seems like it to me.:

On the fourth and goal play and if it’s easier said than done to just throw it in the end zone:

“Yes. They dropped eight players. They had eight guys standing in the end zone, so in some of those situations you’ve got to be able to throw it and run it in. It’s always good to look at a play and say, well you could have done this or you could have done that. Unfortunately, we didn’t get it in. We had a third and one that we tried to throw a pass on. We had a guy wide open and we didn’t get it done, and that leads to a fourth and one where we were stopped. You think about, hindsight, you just quarterback sneak and get the first down and go in. Those are all the kinds of things that you think about. Don’t get me wrong, I spent all night thinking about things we could have done differently that would have made a difference in the game, but you’ve got your plays in those situations. You spent a lot of time preparing for them. We’ve had success with those in the past. We had belief that they were going to work, and we’ve got to execute them better.”

80. By Peter in Canada on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren Georgie

With respect to you both. The matter re throwing on 4th and one or 3rd and one. The problem is that Wells is our only power back. When he went down I think we should have impovised for those situations. We need a power runner in to run the ball in and Sherman was the only one. Teams have had success using a D lineman as the blocking back in that situation. I don’t know whether we tried it in practice and it didn’t work or whether it was never considered. That said I totally agree with Buddy Ryan’s comment about listening to fans.

81. By John M on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Agreed… Georiebird needs to relax a bit.. it’s a long season. Nobody in their right mind predicted 4-1 to start the season. That’s where we are… One loss is One loss.. it doesn’t matter how it happens, looked, whatever…

Luckily, the perfect scenario for the Cardinals comes this week, a Buffalo Bills team that looks in shambles right now. Finally the Cardinals don’t have to face a brutalizing defense, and the offense could get more in Sync. We will just need to keep a TE on Mario Williams side, because he could single handily dismantly us.. but Housler, Heap, King .. need to help out with him so that the Cardinals can finally exploit a weaker defense.

On the other side of the Ball, the Bills have weapons and can put up points, but if we can get pressure on Fitzpatrick, he will gift us a few balls….

it won’t be easy.. but I think the Cards walk out of Sunday 5-1 with their tough stretch coming… and all bets are off at that point.

82. By Joshua Shelley on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

This could be a blessing in disguise! So many times in the NFL I see a back up come in and produce when the team is in a slump. I have a lot of faith in Powell. He could be the answer to our running game issues. At least lets hope!

83. By philly cards on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Joshua you need to watch some old cardinal seasons on dvd.it never ends up good when this stuff happens.

84. By garrett on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I said this a couple of weeks ago, sticking to it. Bring back Tim Hightower!

85. By Mike in Mesa on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Benson, lol guess I spoke too soon

86. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa —

RE: Injuries

It’s a rough, rough game.

87. By georgiebird on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

You just unilaterally changed the argument. I never brought up individual plays as a second guess. Some of the plays were dumb from a fan’s standpoint so maybe Whiz had a reason for the plays.
    My point was the speed pass rush was beating us all night, when was someone going to make an adjustment. This was a situation that was repeated all night and only a moderate adjustment was made toward the end of the game.
    I’ve been a fan for longer than-probably anyone on this site. I remember the ’74 team that held opponents to 29 points in the 1st four games. They did it with smoke,mirrors and a blitz- I don’t think that anyone of the front seven was even a good player.
    And as I looked at the opening drive of the inept Rams- that set the tone for the whole game- you’ll have to pardon me for thinking ” here we go again”.

88. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Argument

I know you never used individual plays as a second guess. What you did do was call Whiz’s comment about “being up all night thinking” and shoehorn it in as part of your argument. I originally tried to make the point every coach is up all night, you countered with your original argument — which again, was not what Whiz was talking about, although it “disturbed” you — and so I felt the need to finally find the quote and put it in context.

I know exactly what your point is. And that’s fine. But that’s not what Whiz was talking about, and you can’t complain that Whiz is showing some sort of weakness by pointing out a quote that isn’t about what you say it is about.

89. By georgiebird on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren

I appreciate you giving me Whiz’ full quote and I am not taking issue with your point. But all the more disturbing if the speed pass rush of the Rams was not one of the things that kept Whiz up- it should have been.

90. By Scott H on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Jzoully –

Um…correct me if I’m wrong, but Ryan Williams has been here 2 years and has missed one entire season due to injury and is now going to miss 11 games of the other. How is that negative and / or a criticism of the team??? That is just FACT and REALITY. Why don’t YOU stop accusing people of being nagative when they are simply reacting to what the reality of the situation is??? Stop being so sensitive. There is no rule that says to be in the club, you must be blindly optimistic at all times.

91. By t.stone on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

RE: Scott
    Your Wrong.

I am almost never optimistic and am always careful to use spell check when I can.. What club are we talking about Scott H.?

92. By UK CARD on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Awe Man!! Ryan we all feel for you man! LOVE to see you run the ball! Lots of backs don’t break out till there 3rd season! Hopefully the O line will be addressed, and we will all enjoy you tearing it up next season!

Best of luck with rehab, The red sea is behind you!!!

93. By Scott H on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

t.stone –

OK. I’m wrong. Thanks for the clarity. Man, just think of the time and effort I could have saved if I had just consulted you first. And congrats on a life lived without a single spelling error. Your mother must be proud. Does she put all of your perfectly-spelled posts on her refrigerator?

94. By T. Stone on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Relax there Scott H.

I actually should have said you’re instead of your. Just think of the time and effort we all could save if we just read the stuff and didn’t respond. Without a spell check I couldn’t spell Cat if you spotted me the A and the T. Sometimes people say stuff just to get the goat. Most of these folks would deny it, but we all know. Just Cardinal fans with time on their hands. Some looking to show how smart they think they are, and some just trying to be funny. All is good.

95. By Scott H on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

T. Stone –

I’ve always been a a very good with spelling and grammar ( can’t do math or science worth a damn ). So, like a man who refuses to ask for directions because he ALWAYS knows where he is, I guess I refuse to use spell check because I want to believe I don’t need to. Typical male stubborness! I’m very good at that, too.

And, yes, I noticed that you should have said You’re instead of your.

Anyway, glad you did not take offense to my sarcasm. Was intended to be more comical than anything else.

All is good but all will be better with a win on Sunday!

2. Oct 9, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | CB Butler returns as Williams goes to IR