CB Butler returns as Williams goes to IR

Posted by Darren Urban on October 9, 2012 – 9:04 am

The expected happened this morning, with running back Ryan Williams going on injured reserve — officially ending his season, even though that was made plain yesterday — and the Cardinals adding not a running back but a cornerback to his place on the roster. Crezdon Butler comes back for the secondary. Not only did coach Ken Whisenhunt emphasize yesterday that the plan for now was to use LaRod Stephens-Howling, William Powell and Alfonso Smith as the running backs and probably not add anyone right now (don’t forget Beanie Wells will be back in about six weeks), but Butler’s return also may speak to the health of the cornerbacks.

Don’t forget Greg Toler, on the bomb he was beaten on in St. Louis, limped off the field with some sort of leg injury. Michael Adams has also been on the injury report with a sore hamstring, although he’s been playing. Maybe the Cards need insurance at corner. I know everyone is waiting for a new running back, but as I said a couple times in a couple places yesterday, I don’t expect one, not anytime soon.

As for Williams, he was in surprisingly good spirits last night at the Cards’ Kingpin Challenge bowling event. I’ll be honest, I was surprised to see him there, his left arm in a sling while he waited to have the left shoulder surgery that he said would take place today. But he mentioned to me he had been through so many emotions the past year with his patella injury that he feels like he can conquer anything.

“After the roller coaster I went through last year, and made it through, I’ll get through this,” he said.

Tags: , ,

48 Responses to “CB Butler returns as Williams goes to IR”

1. By D on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

With no threat of a running game, the defenses will adjust and more pressure will be on the Off tackles, Whiz will have to change up the routes and some play calling to 3 step drops and hopefully use Hyphen or Peterson on screens and mis-direction plays

2. By Rufus on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I don’t get this move. I don’t see how the Cardinals maintain even a below average running game with the RBs on the current roster. Can Cardinals reasonably expect to win against the Vikings, 49ers, Packers and Falcons with Powell and Smith as our starting RBs? Kolb and the OL are not that good to make up for it.

3. By conrad on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

We will be ok what is status Skelton?

4. By Eric G on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

The RBs we have are all good, it’s the OL that will doom this team, plain and simple. According to ProFootballFocus, both Batiste and Massie are the lowest ranked players at the tackle position, coming in at No. 68 and No. 69 respectively. While Snyder, an eight-year veteran, is ranked as the worst guard in the league.

This line is pathetic and makes me drink every Sunday.

5. By MIKE G on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! I don’t think the Card’s should panic and get a Running Back right away. Getting Butler gives the Card’s insurance in case Toler is dinged. I think the Card’s will use Powell and Hyphen as the 2 main guys against the Bills this week and take it from there.. Hopefully Antonio can give them some carries as well. Whiz will not panic just to get anybody. This could be a nice scenario facing the Bills this week given their defensive problems. Hey Darren–What do you think of Todd Heap’s availability this week??? Do you think he is close–Kolb could use all available weapons given the Williams injury!!!

6. By hummer53 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I’d like to see Rob Housler used more like a H-Back in backfield. We know he has some serious speed. New England uses Gronck sometimes in this fashion. When we are in shotgun he could stay in to block, go out for screens and maybe get a inside draw sometimes. We need to use his speed and size.

7. By wnycardfan on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Rufus has a point. I feel really bad for Williams and you wonder how much his so so performance this year was still his knee or the blocking he (didn’t) get. Perhaps both. I hope he can come back and kick butt next year.
    BUT, the Cards running game has looked like crap for years, even with Warner around it wasn’t that great. Like many say, you don’t need to have the greatest RB/running game, but having SOMEthing of a run game is required to make your offense more of a threat.
    Even the lowly Bills will be able to beat us this coming week without a running game, they can play back on the WR’s all day long.
    OL has to step up BIG TIME and help these last 3 RB’s do something, or else not only will you be looking at another loss (the beginning of quite a few I’m afraid) but a few more injuries to RB and QB’s.

8. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Heap

I don’t know where Heap stands right now. You’d figure he is close to a return.

9. By Rick on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

You can’t help but root for Ryan Williams!! He is the first to admit his performance this year was not good enough but instead of sulking about another injury he comes to the event and says he will make it through. I want to see this kid have success simply because he shows high class and character.

As far as our other RB’s hopefully we can find a diamond in the rough and get something going.

Darren – Do you think the Cards get through this week and maybe pursue Hightower later? There were reports that Hightower and Whis may not have always seen eye to eye, can you provide some thoughts?

10. By Jason Marcus on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I think these other three guys will prove themselves to be great, R Williams is not having a good 2yrs and it seems like beanies always out,it’s a hard position to play, maybe the hardest to get a good runner, oline and run plays going, we. Are 5games in and have no run game. Last year at this time it was straight up beast mode for bean the wean what’s happening here I mean c’mon Urban what the deal?

11. By Jason Marcus on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I wish KOlb was more of Leader it’s weird that college is the guy giving the speaches ,you run it you gotta give some speeches before the game and get guys going own that s@&$ .

12. By Mr Robles on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Javarvis James in the names of resigning alotta potential big dude

13. By azfiremagoo on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I think any rb we sign now is no better than wipo, lsh, and smith so I understand the move. Sounds like hightower still has knee issues or I would think that when Helu went to IR the Skins would’ve brought him back instead of Grant. I would take Ivory for a late round pick. Like the guys tough running style and at least he could stay on the team next year instead of wasting a pick on a rental player. How quickly a season can get a little dicey. Lose both starting tackles with limited depth, lose both starting rb’s, and one questionable RG signing. I have asked about it before but now we really need to incorporate the screen and swing passes into our gameplan. Unfortunately we are horrible at them for some reason. We should right the ship vs the Bills but we all know it’ll be close. That’s life as a Cards fan!

14. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Rick —

RE: Hightower

I’m not sure where they stand with Hightower. I think after drafting Ryan Williams they were ready to move on. But everyone is a professional here. I’d think if the Cards deemed him healthy enough and the right guy to fill in, they’d do it.

15. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Robles —

RE: Javarris James

James is out for the season.

16. By BIG RED on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Let’s trade kolb for sanchez. Couldn’t get any worst.

17. By Ryan on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Seriously, Williams being out doesn’t make much difference since we didn’t have a running game even when he was healthy.

Front office: Fix the offensive line!! There’s still time to make a trade, there are a lot of OL options out there that would be great for this team. Also, how long do you expect Kolb or Skelton last after getting sacked 17 times the last two games? If the OL isn’t fixed the cards will certainly be the fastest team to go from 4-1 to 4-12.

18. By in fitz we trust on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

man, this is all bad. ryan williams, our superstar!!!! how are we gonna replace his 2.8 ypc now!!! first beanie who was averaging 2.6 yards a carry goes down, now williams!!! shoot, there goes our superbowl run.

19. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Bravo Ryan.

20. By Brian on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Big Red, always with the valuable contributions to this site. Seriously man, we get it, you hate Kolb. Why don’t you and cardsalltheway go complain about the choices the FO has made somewhere else. He can complain about Whiz and you can complain about Kolb. It’s funny how quiet you were when the team was 4-0. One loss brings you back calling for Kolb to be shown the door. Such great insight you have…

21. By jocards on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

This is indeed bad news. Our running game through a number of factors wasn’t producing much but as the team has to move down the positional depth chart it becomes even more of a challenge to improve. When you add in the obvious issues we’ve had with pass protection this loss is potentially even more damaging. Little success running the football, issues at both tackle positions….this is tough. There is only so much that scheme can do…I mean you can call for more short drop and quick release patterns in the passing game, more screens, etc. but to get the ball down the field the tackles must hold up…I really hope this line develops an attitude and starts moving people off the ball to create some space in the running game for LSH, Powell and Smith…that would be an enormous help to pass protection. Nobody is going to feel sorry for the Cards, have to keep working.

22. By brad oneill on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I havent heard anyone else say this yet, though it may have been said but I think the lighter practices negotiated for in the collective bargaining agreement have really left a lot of players not quite ready for the season. Look at the injuries across the league. I know there are always injuries but it seems that this year and last have been worse than most. these guys need to tackle in the somewhat controlled environment of practice to get the finer points down. they need to be running up mountains to get in shape. The lighter lesser player friendly nfl is costing guys games. I know it sucks when you lose people to injury during practice but the more games I see and the more people I watch going down I just have to wonder if there isn’t a correlation.

23. By JR on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I don’t want a new running back. I want backs who know our offense. We know Alphonso Smith can run. We also know what the Hyphen can do if he stays healthy. William Powell has looked good. I vote to stick with what we have. As mentioned by others, this may also help with the O-Line in that we’ll need to be more innovative and quick with our plays.

24. By Rugbymuffin on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Good to him in good spirits.

25. By TUCARDS on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Why give in now. If the coaches can learn how to use the short pass game as the run game to set up a mid pass game this team will be alright. I would like to see a 3 step drop over shot-gun and 5 step drop backs.

26. By Chuck 1 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I continue to be baffled by posters who want Kolb benched or traded.
    He has one of the highest QB ratings in the NFL.
    He stood in the pocket (one of the complaints about him during Preseason was that he constantly ran out of the pocket to the right) and was positively CREAMED during the last two games (17 sacks; NOT HIS FAULT when he had defenders all over and around him).
    As the announcers said during the Rams game, he has only started 20 games in the NFL (although he’s been in the league for six years).
    WTF should a fan expect from a QB in what is essentially his 2nd season?
    We’ll see, when Whiz starts Skelton, if he faces the same pressure that Kolb has faced. Then, we’ll see how well he fares. I know. Skelton will probably throw five touchdown passes in each game. LMFAO

27. By Chuck 1 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

brad oneill,

clssylssy has been pounding the table for some time about the lighter practices possibly causing more injuries.

28. By Tom Watson on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

How come you didn’t answer conrad’s question about skelton? How long has he been ready to go?

29. By Eric G on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

at BIG RED:

Seriously? Not Peyton, not Brady, not Rodgers, not Brees, not Montana, not Young, not Elway, not anyone could have done anything on Thursday behind that line. Kolb is not the problem, the line and OC’s lack of understanding their limitations and adapting to them are the problem.

You obviously don’t know football.

30. By Dynosoar on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Johnnybluenose,

No I wasn’t mocking you a post or two ago. Sorry if it came across that way. Just having fun is all and actually, I do see us with 12+ wins, though you’re correct, it’s really hard for any team to go 15-1. As long as we win all the post season games I’m good with wahtever record gets us their.

If we establish the passing game and defenses have to account for that, the run game will open up. It works both ways. I say we have 4 or 5 wideouts / TE’s and throw in a running back when we use only 4. If they blitz, we throw. If they don’t blitz, we throw. When they’re respecting the pass, throw in some runs and then the play action will be a real threat.

I always read how the run game must be established to open up the pass. The opposite is also true, establish the passing game and the run game will open up.

31. By cardsalltheway on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

“coach Ken Whisenhunt emphasize yesterday that the plan for now was to use LaRod Stephens-Howling, William Powell and Alfonso Smith as the running backs…”

Excellent decision Ken W. !!!

“I know everyone is waiting for a new running back…,”

You are SOOOOO WRONG!!!

I have picked up William Powell on my fantasy team and would advise everyone else to do the same, and so would Michael Fabiano…

Did I ever consider B. Wells or R. Williams? NO!!!

32. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Tom Watson —

RE: Skelton question

Because clearly I am conspiring to keep info from everyone.

He has practiced fully for a week. He does not seem 100 percent yet. Whiz said he wants him to be 100 percent. He has not been active for a game, which should tell you something.

33. By BIG RED on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Eric G. and Brian I like to know what you see in kolb and don’t tell me he passed the test of toughness. He has no choice if he comes out, he’ll lose his job. You guys are like the cowboys fans, happy with statistics. I just hope we don’t have another romo on our hands. I don’t see kolb ever doing something special for the cardinals. Last year when Skelton was winning games like kolb is doing know, it was the defense winning them. Now you praise kolb like if his the savor of the team. Its the same thing as last year except different QB. The reason you wouldn’t hear from me when they were winning cause I didn’t want to burst your little excitement. Open receivers all night long and can’t see em and don’t tell me he was running for his life ALL the time, com on man the guy is just short. Look at Flacco, Big Ben, Brady those guys are tall and even with pressure can fine the open man (Stand Tall). Anyway, kolb or no kolb Im rooting for the Cardinals for another 60 years. I agree with you about needing some linemen, thats about it.

34. By Rich on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Cards will be fine. Tweak the game plan,home field advantage….things will look alot better on Monday.

35. By BIG RED on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Anyway what’s wrong with the kolb for sanchez trade? Just asking. Both are the same size. Sanchez has gone to two AFC title games and Kolb zero. No fun intended. Go Cards beat the Billls!!!!!!!

36. By georgiebird on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Glad we picked up a cb- the defense needs help, too.
    Huge home game for the Cardinals. Defense must step up and at least keep Buffalo off the board early.
    The Bills game will be difficult because the Bills are coming off two humiliating losses and are spending the week in Phoenix. A one point victory will suffice even though much more is expected at home.
    The game against the Bills is so big that I am making a prediction. A loss to the Bills will mean no playoffs.
    And to add some intrigue to the game, the Bills just picked up our old friend Reggie Wells, Who needs OL guys?

37. By bluepitt on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

“Because clearly I am conspiring to keep info from everyone.” hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

38. By Brian on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Wow Big Red, now your argument for Skelton is that he’s taller than Kolb…two words Drew Brees. Oh, wait two more words Aaron Rodgers(listed at 6’2″, shorter than Kolb at 6’3″) Just saying, height isn’t everything and is a poor argument in my mind in this situation. Plus, neither Eric or I ever praised Kolb or said he was the savior. He has played pretty well, not great, but good enough for us to be 4-1 after the first 5 games. You are the one who is constantly all about the Skelton family, always hating on Kolb and never giving him any credit. Seriously, you said we should promote Steve Skelton as a starting TE at one point. I’m starting to think you are their Dad. I’ve said it before, your obsession with the Skeltons rivals the obsession Skip Bayless has with Tim Tebow. It’s disturbing. I like Skelton, I think he has talent, and honestly, with the offensive line we have, neither of them are going to succeed if the line can’t pass or run block. I agree a QB needs to stand tall in the pocket but it’s a lot easier to do when you aren’t getting hit before you can finish your 3 or 5 step drop. Kolb has stood tall I feel the last couple weeks, taking a ton of hits while still making some pretty good throws as well as making some bonehead throws. Still, if they both “Stood Tall” in the pocket behind that line we saw the last two weeks, neither one of them would finish the season. Look at the big picture man…Skelton would be going through the same thing. Yes Kolb missed an open receiver or two, but you can’t tell me Skelton has been perfect in every game and never missed an open throw. Just like the next person on here, I would love to have our QB situation 100% resolved but we don’t because we no longer have a sure fire Hall of Famer on the roster.

And my excitement you try to mock has not been due to Kolb being the starter, it’s to this team being 4-1. If Skelton were the starter and we were 4-1, I’d be just as happy. Why? Because I want this team to win, who ever the QB is. Kolb or no Kolb, Skelton or no Skelton, if we are winning, who cares. But all of your hatred toward Kolb and silence lately makes me believe you are only happy if it’s Skelton winning. If that’s the case, please change your name on here because Big Red is our mascot and a symbol of the organization and you would just be an obsessive Skelton fan, not a true Cardinal fan.

39. By bluepitt on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

@BIG RED,
    You couldn’t be more wrong! Skelton couldn’t do a thing in quarters 1-3 and needed OT in almost every game he won last year! Kolb has only thrown 2 picks!
    Skelton had 11TDs in 8 games last year!!! YAY..Hold up…. he had 14int’s Oh didn’t know that did you? He put our D in the hole in quarter’s 1-3 last year and our D gave us a chance!!!! Yes our D is very good, but Was it the D that drove down and scored the game winner vs the Sea Chickens?
    Was it our D that scored once in the 3rd and again in the 4th quarter VS the Pats,
    Was it our D that threw up 27 vs Philly in game 3 or did they throw up 24 points vs the fins? All while not turning the ball over a bunch with Kolb under center? (our D couldnt stop the pass and we still put up 24) yah that is what I thought! Did you know that Kolb running our O last year scored highs of 28-27-27points in games to Skeltons high of 23-21-21. and skelton had been here learning our O fore one more year than Kolb? Doesn’t that show you the truth between the two?

You don’t seem to remember last year when Kolb had a rating of 130.0 in game one and had rating of 92.5 in game 2 let me help you see the truth.
    Games Kolb started in and played in last year:
    Game 1 W (No D but VS a rook QB)
    Game 2 L (with no D at all lost by 1 point)
    Game 3 L (with no D at all lost by 3 point’s)
    Game 4 L (With no D at all lost by 4 points) Super Bowl Champs
    Game 5 L (blown out 3 TD from AP no D at all)
    Game 7 L (by a TD with no D at all) Play off team
    Game 8 L ( with no D at al lost by 4 points) Play off team
    All of Kolbs losses were by an average of 3.8 points skipping game 5 even if you add in game 5 his average point spread was 7.1 points with no D at all! and I mean no D! don’t you think the D we had in the last half of the season would have been worth 7.1 points a and at least 3.8 points (over the 5 games)? If so, then you are saying Kolb would have been undefeated like this year!!!! HAHAHAHA
    Games skelton won was with a 3.8 point overage including the OT games. (not including the OT games was a mere 3 points we won by a FG with that Killer D!!!!) This year with that killer D Kolb has won by a avg of 7.5 points. the winner is??????????????????

40. By bluepitt on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Here is some locker material
    l”NFL power rankings: Thanks, Cardinals, that was fun”

41. By Red monsta on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Eric G knows nothing about football or life in general for that matter.

42. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Let’s just get a W this weekend and go from there.

43. By Troy on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Brian, I’m with you. I don’t get how people can get so hooped up about 4 wins and be such a GREAT CARDS fan until one bad game. How does someone have a name that says cardsalltheway and be a hater. Dude, take some advice from someone who has lead people for 30 years since my HS graduation, stop pointing out all flaws. It is to your, mine, and everyone else’s obligation to be POSITIVE. How do you think the team feels when the players read your crap on this site. Loosen up dude. We are in first place. 1st. Winning. Ahead of everyone. Leader. Not 2nd. Playoff bound. Good TEAM. getting better. Future is bright. Thanks for being a supporter. Those kind of things are what everyone needs to hear through these tough times. Support.

Whiz, keep it up. We were nothing till you got here. I TRUST your leadership.

GO CARDINALS. ALL THE WAY…

44. By Kevin S on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Big Red, you asked Brian and Eric above to explain what they see in Kolb. You have it backwards, my friend. It is the Skelton backers who should be explaining what they see. Kolb is not Aaron Rodgers but in any season in which he’s gotten significant playing time he’s been in the middle of the pack of NFL QB’s, so his backers don’t really have to explain anything. In the only season in which Skelton’s had a lot of playing time he was one of the worst in the league by any objective measure. I agree with you that he MAY have the POTENTIAL to develop into an NFL-caliber QB, but Kolb already IS one.

45. By BIG RED on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Man you guys really crack me up. All I said first was just an even trade. I didn’t even said anything about Skelton. When did I ever said about the family I don’t even know them, you really take all this stuff so serious, well I guess I got in your head . I surely hope you guys had a goodnite sleep, last night. I taught this post was for anybody to just give there own opinion. Speaking of going all out for a player, look at you, with all this stuff of even printing kolbs statistics of game by game. Even JS game statistics, wow! Get a life and do something guys. To you BIG RED , sir. Go Cardinals even if Lindley is playing.

46. By bluepitt on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

@BIG RED,
    hahaha I do have a life and a good one at that, It allows me to do what I want when I want, Its called financial freedom Being my own boss!!! hahaha I like to debate if that is a problem, then it is what it is! I slept very well last night thank you very much for asking. So who would you prefer at the helm for the record. Heck I sometimes find my self finding a post and taking the other side (even when I agree) just to have a debate about it. But when I go off ranting that all ME :)

47. By Giorgio on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Let’s be blunt, nothing is going to change for Whiz and Grimm until GM Rod Graves is out of there and they can someone way, way above par who will get the team what they deserve in terms of real (not imaginary) player personnel. The blended experiments are NOT working.

48. By BIG RED on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Hey Bluepitt we should get together and have a beer. I’m glad you had a peaceful night and got your beauty sleep. Sometimes old nags need it.