Talking trade, and blacking out

Posted by Darren Urban on October 9, 2012 – 5:06 pm

There are a lot of questions I am getting about trades when it comes to a running back. If the Cards go get another running back, I think it will be the free-agent route. That way you don’t surrender a draft pick at a position that you need short-term help with. It’s tough when people start throwing out names like Chris Johnson or Maurice Jones-Drew or even Mark Ingram, all of whom apparently have been suggested as targets. Stop. Those aren’t going to happen for a multitude of reasons.

The one trade name that does make some sense to me is Chris Ivory in New Orleans. He’s shown before he can perform and he is buried deep, deep on the Saints’ bench behind Ingram, Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles. But the Saints know the Cards need a back, and they might just hold up the Cards for a higher pick. Frankly, in this day and age where backs have become more and more disposable, it’s hard to think that’s a good idea. Ivory was undrafted and has shown well — maybe William Powell can do the same for the Cards.

Free agency makes more sense to me, if and only if the Cards decide they need someone. That’s no sure thing right now.

As for available free agents, well, the name that comes up over and over is Tim Hightower. He knows the team and the offense. But Hightower isn’t healthy right now. The Redskins, who cut him in camp, thought about bringing him back when Roy Helu went down for the season and not only is Hightower still coming back from an ACL tear, Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said he had a setback and was having an arthroscopic procedure on his knee. That was a couple weeks ago. (The Redskins signed Ryan Grant instead.) Could Hightower be in the mix down the road if he heals up? Maybe. But the Cards have had their fill of injured backs. They don’t need another so they would have to be sure where Hightower stands health-wise before that could be explored.

– If you missed it, check out this story of defensive lineman Nick Eason, his mom , and why this month of pink in the NFL is so meaningful to him.

– The Cardinals, in case you missed it on Twitter yesterday, will be wearing their black uniforms again Sunday against Buffalo. Because of the various NFL rules in place for alternate uniforms — you can’t wear them in nationally televised games, you can’t wear them after flex scheduling starts — this is the last opportunity for the Cards to do so.

– The Big Red Rage has been moved to Wednesday night because of ASU football, so anyone heading to Majerle’s — special guest Vonnie Holliday — make sure you adjust your schedules accordingly. Same time (6 p.m.), same place (Chandler Fashion Mall).

Tags: , , , , ,

46 Responses to “Talking trade, and blacking out”

1. By William Barry on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Very sorry to hear Williams is out for the season, however, why not try and get Chris Ivory at RB, to bolster our RB situation as it stands now, RB by committee–Hypen, Smith, and Powell.

However, we will stand as many, and play as one.

2. By johnnybluenose on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

darren. very nice article on nick eason.

3. By AzDesertRat1953 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

I would like to see W. Powell get more than a few reps this Sunday, see how he does, might surprise a few and get some good runs in. He might be a key with the way the Bills play the run.

GO CARDS!!!

4. By azfiremagoo on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren was Crezdon on PS or FA? At a minimum would like to see a young camp body that was cut somewhere added to the PS to get a little time with the playbook just in case especially with LSH already nicked up.

5. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Good update Urb.

6. By Darren Urban on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Azfire –

RE: Butler

He was a free agent.

7. By Texascard on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Big red. You haven’t seen kolb do anything special? You are not watching or listening to cardinal games this year. You are not a cardinal fan.

8. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Couldn’t Hamza Abdullah play CB, or was he strictly S?
    For a blast from the past, how about Trumaine McBride or Jason Wright? Money talks.

Second what the snotty-beaked kid said Darren; nice notebook yarn.

9. By Jay Green on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

God Bless Iris Wilcox. Great job Darren.

10. By Mark Moreno on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

OMG!!!! When I Saw “Blacking Out” Title I Thought The Game Was Gonna Be Blacked Out,And I Almost Had Another Heart Attack LOL

11. By Matt on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Hope Ryan gets healthy for next year! What about trading for Knowshon Moreno? He had 1st round talent at one time and is doing nothing with Denver. Same issue as Ivory with the Broncos asking too much? Other issues with Moreno?

12. By Chuck 1 on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

If the Cards trade for anyone, it should be an OFFENSIVE TACKLE (or two OTs)!!!

Fuggheddabout a RB!!!

13. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Both Wells and Williams struggled with injuries in college. I’m not suggesting they are injury prone because the position takes so much punishment, but am wondering how their recent history drafting RBs with injury issues out of college will affect the Card’s when drafting RBs in future drafts — and I thin the Card’s will seriously need to consider a drafting a RB or two in 2013 given the injury histories of the current QBs.

And I agree that we can’t be trading draft picks away for RBs. I don’t want another draft w/o a 2nd round pick.

14. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

Moreno = Fumble Issues = Injury Issues = Problems the Cards’ have had a history with at RB.

15. By Mr Robles on Oct 9, 2012 | Reply

What about Tackles? Any names there running around….trade or free agency we can have any Running back back there but that line needs to push forward & block & give Kolb a second more to throw. Darren anything on Lineman?

16. By rojobird on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Offensive line needs to be fixed before we even consider running out to get another RB otherwise doesnt matter who we get… I truly believe that what we have as RBs will work just fine as long as our offensive line and the coaches do their JOB… Good luck to our RBs and the whole team… Play smarter not harder!!!

Darren dont know if anyone has asked you before but based on the last two games what would you do to try and fix the problems we have been having with the offensive line…Are they struggling as a whole or without naming any names is just certain individuals/positions?

17. By Red32 on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren, there has obviously been a lot of talk about pursuing a running back lately, but what about an offensive lineman like Alex Barron? Do the Cards have any interest in doing something like that, or are they going to stick with what they have?

18. By Mandy on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Seems to me if they were to make any kind of trade, they should try to target Kevin Smith. I say that because he can stay around for years. Lets be honest, Beanie will always be hurt and R. Williams seems to be following suit. If not, then free agency is the obvious route.

19. By dave m on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Texascard go back to texas

20. By Brazilian Cards Fan on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

If LaRod is healthy, I think he will have a good game and if not, Powell will surprise everyone.
    And you scared me there for a moment, I thought the game didn’t sell out.

21. By red c rider on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Chris Ivory’s name has been tossed around the Phoenix sports airwaves. Just say NO to Knowshon. Either way, let’s not give away another valuable draft pick which could be used for…oh I don’t know….OFFENSIVE LINEMEN?? People and their selective amnesia, geez.

I really hope Powell gets his break. The guy worked his tail off in the preseason. Let us not forget that one Arian Foster himself was once an UFA. Yes its much too soon to make this comparison, but the point is that we should see what Pow-pow-powell can do with this offensive line.

22. By Lixto on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

@mark me too, i was like wtf? its just one loss, why the hell are they gonna black out the game…. the title was mis leading big time lol

23. By Dynosoar on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Johnnybluenose, in case you missed it, I gave you a shout out (well, there wasn’t any actual shouting) in the last post. Hope you saw it.

William Powell had the most rushing yards in pre-season. I know pre-season is just scrimaginf, but he still led the field. We know what the Hyphen brings to the game (I forget how many 20+ yard carries and touchdowns he had last year. He had one against the Cowboys and that counts double for me. And Smith can just run and run and run all day without injury.

We’ve got the potential to have the best wide reciever corp in the league (I know, potential doesn’t always translate to productivity, but it’s better than no potential) and if we throw in the TE’s, well, I believe we’ll do just fine.

Someone in the last post compared us to the Cowboys (that was really a low blow) for only caring about stats. How about this stat?

4-1!

24. By clssylssy on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Odd…when I saw “blacking out” I was immediately concerned that KK had some lingering ill effects from being tackled by the head in the Rams game.(more than once) I am apparently not the only person who thought that the Rams played a little dirty…seems to have been mentioned in their previous games by other players. That being said, we can close the books on the one and move on. Nice article Darren. Chris Ivory? YES!, I would like to see that explored. The Saints have had one of the best RB corps in the league and at the very least Wm. Powell could benefit from being around someone of Ivory’s caliber as a practice partner! I do think that Powell (who went to the same University as Darren Sproles) will be the hot ticket once he gets some experience and playing time in with the Starters and see real game action. Love the new motivational slogan by the players “Stand as Many, Play as One”…Great job by the Cards Marketing Department! GO CARDS! TIME TO GET UP AND FLY HIGH AGAINST THE BILLS!

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Mr Robles –

RE: Linemen

Such as who?

26. By Darren Urban on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

rojo –

RE: OLine

I’m not going to pretend to know exactly what ails them nor that I would know what to do. I do know it isn’t just limited to the tackles. Grimm always talks about how a lineman can grade out 95 percent in a game with 70 snaps but that’s still four mistakes, and if each lineman makes four mistakes, that’s 20 plays that have a problem. Tackles are struggling to be sure, but I think it’s a little of everything right now, and it goes beyond the line, too.

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Red32 –

RE: Linemen

As of now, I don’t see a move.

28. By brad oneill on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

we should put kolb on the line he never seems to miss incoming defensive players. :) just jokes people just jokes.

29. By j on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

4-1? going to be 4-4 soon if the o-line doesnt step up both on pass and run, especially the run. all that hard work and planning to loose it up front seems silly to me. The line is looking weak last 2 games, they are getting pushed around and it seems they are not working as a team which i thought was the hype to the cards, a collective team. consistency is dropping, hopefully sunday the cards can get back to business and I’ll just consider Thurs loss due to the short time off.

30. By conrad on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

I belive we will win this game with our defensesive line with kolb if it does not look like it I would like to see Lindley should Skellton not be ready, but do not keep waitting on Kolb for the entire game.

GO CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

31. By Gerald Jones on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

OK have a laugh on me if you like – how about using John Skelton like the Jets use Tebow short yardage runs with the option of passing.

32. By blaxabbath on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Where would the Cardinals have depth to offer a player in a trade (not just draft picks)? Maybe a WR after Fitz/Roberts?

This injury situation is a tough predicament for sure but not a surprising one given the injury histories of the backs (as well as the desired game plan and O Line issues). Personally, I feel the if Hyphen and Powell can play decent — including pass blocking and outlet receiver duties — then we can keep the PA threat alive and let these outstanding WRs do their thing.

33. By Darren Urban on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Blax –

RE: Trade

Just don’t see teams wanting anything but a pick at this point.

34. By Kevin S on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

My Lord, we have people calling for Lindley again…? With Kolb having a higher QB rating than Stafford, Newton, Cutler, Romo, Fitzpatrick, Luck, and a host of other guys?

The problem with the trade route is we fans think it’s easier than it really is. You want a true quality O-lineman, or a quality RB? Well, are you willing to give up quality to get quality? Presumably no one wants to see guys like Daryl W, Calais, Dockett, or even up and comers like Sam Acho go. Above we have someone talking about giving up a receiver “after Fitz/Roberts”… do we really think anyone from Doucet on down is going to generate much interest? (And there’s no way the team is going to get rid of Floyd unless we got MAJOR talent in return, seeing as how just a few months ago we used the 13th pick in the draft to get him.)

35. By D on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t give up any pick 4 or higher for a active running back in the league. Draft picks are too valuable. If they stay status quo remaining of the year I would definitely go after a RB in the second round of the draft. Now you have your 2 top RB with injury histories, one probably won’t be on the roster next year…..My vote would be for S. Taylor Stanford.
    (teams knowing how desperate AZ is wont’ give up a RB for a 5th round or lower pick)

36. By Eazy E on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

You know I love the NFL, but the NFL really can be confusing at times. We can’t wear the black on national games and if we get flex scheduled games. WTH?? That makes no sense. We should be able to wear them all 16 if we want to unless the opponent is wearing a dark color also.

37. By clssylssy on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Kevin…take a pill and calm down. I think the suggestion that Lindley be brought in is to BE PREPARED in the event that Kolb is also injured, in light of the numerous injuries the Cards have suffered ALREADY and with our backup injured. It’s not fair to the player to have to come in cold and be expected to pick it up. It’s not a conspiracy against Kolb just thinking ahead and planning for the worse case scenario. Remember this is one team, you know “Stand as Many, Play as One”?
    It seems that most of the teams are having the same problem with being decimated by injuries and the teams with the most depth and best backups will be the ones left standing. The pick’ns are pretty slim out there and there are teams that are worse off than we are. While our offense isn’t great, I love to watch the Packers because they are even worse! We have a wealth of talent and I’m sure the Coaches will figure out the most effective way to use what we have. The Cards have been playing some pretty exciting football and have loads of potential for attracting players like Chris Johnson but getting the organization to be willing to pay the price will be the biggest obstacle.

38. By card62 on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1 said it best with our oline it does not matter who the running back is so no need to waste any more money on running backs just use full backs that can block for our QB. No team in the league respects our oline or running game nor do most Cardinal fans. Walter Payton or Jim Brown could not average 4 yards with this line.

Most humorous was reading you fans who said now other teams know how to beat us. Every team in the league and almost every Cardinal fan on this planet knew how horrible our oline was during the preseason. Any of you thinking Levi Brown is the answer well lets just say I have a couple of OT that I will trade you for your draft choices next year. Our Oline has been poor to horrible for many years and many of us have written about it for years but Graves and Grimm just do not get it.

I am very proud of our team being 4 -1 as my thinking is that we would be 1 – 4 at this point so pass the ketchup to help me put down this crow I am eating. I know we have had some luck but mostly it has been good tough play and coaching. Teams know our weaknesses and we have been able to overcome them for 4 victories in 5 weeks.

I still do not think we make the playoffs, and definitely do not win a playoff game and I still think at least 3 quarterbacks will play for us this year because of injuries. I still want Rod Graves and Russ Grimm fired and most of all I hope I get to eat a second helping of crow this year.

Kevin kolb is far from perfect, but he has played much better than I ever dreamed this year so hats off to him and good luck with that jaw Kevin.

I love the Cardinals and they have already given me as many wins as I thought we would have all seasons so go Cards and that Housler kid really looked good last week so I hope we continue to get him the ball.

Thanks everyone and have fun at the game Sunday and hoping for a win against Buffalo.

39. By Kevin S on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Clssylssy,

The poster to whom I was responding specifically said, in the context of potentially bringing in Lindley, “… do not keep waiting on Kolb for the entire game.”

It was clearly not a post suggesting that Lindley be ready in case Kolb is injured. Lindley has already necessarily been in that position the past few weeks. It was a suggestion that Kolb be yanked for Lindley midway through the game if Kolb is ineffective. This is the thanks Kolb gets from some “fans” for completing 60% of his passes, having a 7/2 TD/INT ratio, and a QB rating of 89.7.

I agree, we need to support all the players on the team. The anti-Kolb crowd is still out in full force. I mean, if that comment was from one of the Skelton backers calling for Skelton to replace Kolb at the first sign of Kolb’s ineffectiveness, I would still disagree with it, but it would at least be somewhat defensible given Skelton’s status as the Week 1 starter. Calling for LINDLEY??? Come on.

40. By Chad on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Jake Long LT Miami, he is a free agent after this season. There was a little trade bait put out there for him before the season began. He is worth a first rounder and Levi’s contract too.
    Long is a top 5 O-Lineman in the league. If free agents were re-entered into drafts he would be the #1 selection. Are O-Line is just so important. This trade kind of makes sense for both teams…
    Q: we drafted 3 O-Linemen last draft. We have 2 of our starters sidelined for the year. So wouldn’t the best option be during or after this season to trade or pick up a free agent that has already proven himself? We have 3 prospects to bring up through the ranks. I think maybe draft one O-Line dude in the second round of the draft and spend money on the best O-Line dude in free agency.
    My question is how do you think we will address the O-Line?
    Get OLB in first round… Feed the strength of our team.

41. By gozona on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

im saddened to here bout ryan. i feel strongly powell can do gre.if we play to his strenghs. we have to stop just doing plays up the gut just to show we ran….RUN WITH A PURPOSE…i know im no coach and i love our team….we just need to continue playing to our strenghts…shoot….throw housler in as a full back then send him out in motion just to spice things up spread the d out get powell to the outside or pass over the top…we have tons of talent and i know well do better i love these guys lets go win some games fellas GOZONA!!!!!!!

42. By BIG RED on Oct 10, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Card62, Ill be there watching the game with you. Go Cards!!! Do your best offense, lots of points on the board.

43. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Chad –

RE: Long

I expect Long to stay in Miami, and be franchised if needed. It is so hard to find a good LT in this league, why would the Dolphins let him go?

As for going after FA, the same problem — there was a reason the Cards brought back Levi. They felt he was the best T on the market. Teams just don’t let good OL go very often, and those that do hit the market cost a pretty penny.

44. By Albert on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

I think I have what it takes to be a coach in the NFL. I sit and watch the Cards talent and can tell what the other team is going to do before it even happens (the type of play). I can tell by the eye line up it will be a run, by the how far the back lines up it’s gonna be a run. I never played college ball, but wanted to. I played cornerback (and got really slow due to a back injury, and safety)(I also received special awards in HS). I did, however, play a season for the Marine Corps and have friends coaching in high school. That being said, I think the Cards should run a few more screens and swing passes. 1. to help reduce the pass rush and take some of the pressure off of the QB 2. to get the back in the open field and 3. to get the defense thinking run, draw, or short pass. I have yet to see the Cards run it twice in a row. I also think if the “O”line can’t block, put Sherman in. He is an awesome FB (the best in the NFL I think). I know for a fact, the Cards WILL win, if the defense can keep up their intensity, stop the run, force the pass, and keep each team on their toes every week. I have been saying this for years, defense and special teams win games. Hey, take it for what it’s worth, or don’t.

45. By Jetstreamgreen81 on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Darren, one name I would love to trade for would be Dangelo Willams. Carolina doesn’t realize what they have and they have a gluttony of running backs there. They could use wr help. I would offer up Doucett and a pick to see what they would do. I think is he was given the carries as he was 3 years ago, you can see what he can do. 20+ tds etc. I know he is owed a lot of money but Willams and Weanie can’t stay healthy and Deangelo is an explosive rb. Just an idea and I know that they have faith in what they have but could you imagine the possiblities?

46. By AZFanInHK on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

I think they need line help, badly. Kolb is not mobile enough, and the running backs rarely have room to room. 17 sacks given up in two games is a tipping point. Are there linemen available on the trading block? I know after the Raiders traded Jim Lachey, that pretty much ended anyone trading a starting tackle, but there should be a serviceable backup available.