• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

The Cardinals and the Presidents

Posted by Darren Urban on October 11, 2012 – 3:28 pm

Larry Fitzgerald has had a chance to be around former President George W. Bush and former President Bill Clinton before — because, you know, that’s how he rolls — but the Cardinals wide receiver and a handful of teammates got a few minutes in with both Wednesday night, an experience they weren’t going to forget.

Kicker Jay Feely (who has played golf with Bush, actually), linebacker Sam Acho, wide receiver Andre Roberts and former Cards quarterback Rich Bartel all joined Fitz at the debate/speeches by the former Presidents at the Deutsche Bank Financial Summit. Before the event, for about 20 minutes, the quartet even got to sit and chat with the Presidents, talking “sports and policy,” Feely said. And also about Acho’s background.

Fitzgerald went to Africa with Clinton in the offseason to help distribute hearing aids together. The subject came up and Fitzgerald pointed out to Clinton that Acho too had done charity work  in Nigeria, adding that both of Acho’s parents do the same after being born and raised there before emigrating to this country. Acho’s father became a doctor, his mother a nurse practitioner. During the “debate” later in front of a couple of thousand people, Acho said, Clinton got a question about immigration in the U.S. and used Acho’s family as a perfect example of why it is important.

“I thought that was unbelievable,” Acho said.

The evening as a whole was fantastic, Feely said, because of the exchange of ideas.

“It was great listening and learning from them,” said Feely, who has talked about his own desire about getting into politics when his football career is over. “Whether you agree with one party or the other, you can learn from people. You have tremendous amount of respect for both men for what they have accomplished. I’ve listened to a lot of debates, there have been none better than that one. It wasn’t party politics. They both said things that wouldn’t necessarily go with their party line. They talked about solutions and answers.”

Hanging out with two Presidents wasn’t a bad deal either.

“To a certain extent, it feels larger than life,” Acho said. “I told Rich, ‘Man, these guys are going to be in stone.’ Look at Mount Rushmore. Yet we were sitting at a table with them and they are normal guys. They are unique. It was so cool to be in that environment. In 20 years I can tell my kids, ‘I was at a table with these guys, and I have pictures to prove it!’”

And the Presidents have jerseys to prove it as well (h/t to Feely on the picture.)

“It was fun,” Fitzgerald said. “I’ve had a chance to be around those guys on several different occasions. It was a great experience. I was happy my teammates could come.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “The Cardinals and the Presidents”

1. By Cards4Ever on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Why was Rich Bartel cut out?

2. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Cards4Ever –

RE: Bartel

That was the photo I found on Twitter that Feely posted. After I went to his full twitpic page, I found the original shot.

3. By D on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Didn’t realize Bartel was 8ft tall. Maybe Cards should bring him back to block field goals.

4. By AzDesertRat1953 on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Man what an Honor to be hanging with the Presidents, No matter how you feel about either one.

GO CARDS!!!

5. By john the draft guy on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Funny D, I was thinking Roberts looks big in a suit. So much for skinny WRS.

Got to say, once in a lifetime experience. Great for these guys to get this chance. I guess when you are good guys and do good things, cool things happen to you.

6. By JJ on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Haha Bartel stands out so bad… awesome guy.

7. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Yes, definitely too much politics within the Cardinals org. This can be seen at the draft level where it’s been quite obvious we’ve needed OL help, but for some reason the political fog has seeped in the past 3-5 years. Here is a blueprint on how to change the political draft culture on the Cardinals org…
    “That was the first thing Frazier did during this past offseason, having his coaches sit down with scouts — before they hit the road in the late winter and early spring — and provide absolute clarity on what the team was looking for at each position. It took about four or five hours per position, Frazier said, and the final mold included not just talent, but specific character traits.”

“The result, Frazier continued, is that “we approached rebuilding different than at any other time since I got here, and you’re seeing the results in 2012. We had probably the best draft we’ve had in my time here as far as changing the culture. That’s the difference, from our first year to our second year. There were so many unknowns before. We had to stay status quo to some degree. We knew we had issues, but we wanted to get by. No excuses, every team dealt with it, but it had an effect here.”

8. By cardsalltheway on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Cards4Ever and JJ,
    But the rookie(R. Lindley) is better than him don’t you know?

D,
    “Didn’t realize Bartel was 8ft tall.”

He he he!!!

9. By Darren Urban on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway –

RE: “definitely too much politics within the Cardinals org”

*smh*

10. By clssylssy on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Proud of my Cards! Not surprising really that they would be in such elite company, they are all intelligent and unselfish guys. Guess the old saying about being known by the company you keep is alive in the Cardinals Organization!

11. By in fitz we trust on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

monica lewinski?

12. By MattAz on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Bartel’s definately running a grass roots campaign with the jeans, pink shirt, and denim tie. Ew.

13. By T.Stone on Oct 11, 2012 | Reply

Cardsalltheway-

RE: “definitely too much politics within the Cardinals org”

One word for you. Ritalin

14. By Jason Marcus on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Yo this is awesome ,Bartel was a good back up ,and seems like a real solid dude ,much respect hope his career continues success.

15. By D on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

This local radio talk of trading for a RB is stupid. No way you give up a decent pick and pay big dollars for any RB with miles on the tires….wait until the draft to address this spot, along with the OL. Chances are the Cards won’t win the division and with the amount of good teams in the NFC, a 9-7 record most likely won’t get the wild card spot.

16. By Kevin S on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

LOL Cardsalltheway… yeah, Whiz and Graves and Keim and everyone else just get together at the Titled Kilt and they throw darts to determine whom to draft.

Seriously, you can argue with some of their picks (I agree with the sentiments of many that, while Floyd may have been the “best available” at the time we drafted this year, we shouldn’t spend that pick on a WR)… but I doubt that the Cards spend any less time in draft study and preparation than the Vikings or any other team. And the reference to also considering “character traits” definitely rings true with the Cards as well, in a way that wouldn’t with, say, the Cowboys.

17. By CDNelson86 on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Off topic but:

Happy Birthday Adrian Wilson! Its my birthday as well, i would like another W in the win collum this weekend for my present!

18. By john the draft guy on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

Since the draft has been brought up, here are my two cents.

Two years ago, I lobbied for trading down with Atlanta and landing Ponder. I never thought he would go 12th overall.
    Last year, I pleaded for us to trade up for Tannehill.

So 2013, I guess you can figure out what position I want to draft #1.

The top guy (who “D” has been pushing) is Geno Smith. Forget about Barkley, Geno is the real deal.

Barkley looks the part as every USC QB does. But USC has such talent around their QBS, it is hard to judge them. What I have seen is , as long as they are kept clean and have a nice pocket, they can perform. (ie Leinart, Palmer, Sanchez ect)

I am a Razerback fan, so it pains me to say Tyler Wilson looks like a system guy. Most boards like him in the first round. He looked great last year, but has really struggled and I am not sure he has that will my team to win attitude. Instead, I see a weaker arm Cutler.

Tyler Bray is a tall qb with Tennessee. Again, I dont see him as a franchise guy. He is inconsistant and has a long stride, meaning he needs a clean pocket.

Finally, I like Landry Jones. He is a mature stable guy. He has a very strong arm and is an accurate passer.

Depending on where the Cards land, If you can trade with the Browns for the top pick, do it and move up for Geno Smith. If not, settle with a late first pick of Landry Jones.
    PS- draft boards had Tannehill and Ponder as 3rd round picks at this point also, but just like those guys (going 8th and 12th overall) Landry Jones should be a first rounder.

19. By D on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

I think the cost (draft picks) will be too high if the Browns are #1. They probably will be hiring new GM and coaching staff, they will want to start it off with a QB–(doubt if a new regime will fall in love with thier rookie 28 yr qb) plus if Kolb gets this team to 8-8 or 9-7 I don’t think Mr. Graves will want to change QB.

20. By john the draft guy on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

D

I dont think the redskins paid too much for RG3

Landing that franchise QB is more important than any other position.

Even if Kolb gets us to 9-7, which I believe he will, he lacks the skills necessary to be a franchise guy. Oh, he has completely surprised me that he has been able to make changes to this point. He has shown he has learned from some of his mistakes. But there is nothing about him that says he is our guy the next 5-10 yrs.

I do think he will perform well sunday against the bills. The Bills are in some serious trouble. Fitzpatrick is only a step above Kolb.

Which is the perfect place for Geno Smith to land in next years draft.
    I would be very happy landing Landry Jones around the early 20′s

21. By D on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

It’s not this organization mode of operation to get that aggressive to give up 2 future first round picks plus a second rounder. Has Graves ever traded up in the first round since he has had the GM title?

22. By john the draft guy on Oct 12, 2012 | Reply

D

Agreed. Ill take Landry Jones as my consultation prize though.