Bills aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 14, 2012 – 7:28 pm

With everything that happened – and in terms of writing about a game, that’s one in which everything before the five-minute-left mark of regulation is virtually immaterial – I can’t get past the dropped screen pass to LaRod Stephens-Howling in overtime, the play before John Skelton’s interception. Ken Whisenhunt was sure it was set up for significant yardage, and from my spot down on the sideline at that point in the game, that’s how it looked to me too. Even if it only picks up eight or nine yards, the Cards are in a totally different spot.

Maybe Skelton still throws a pick on the drive, maybe not. It’s just hard to feel, the way the game was playing out (and the way the Bills were calling plays) that the Bills weren’t going to drive for a score. Hindsight and all that, I suppose. But Sunday was a gut-wrencher.

It’s really classic NFL reaction, I guess. Jay Feely’s kick goes through at the end of regulation, or if the Cards find a way to win in OT, and it’s all good, relatively speaking. Instead, you fight the feeling that the sky is falling. I do think this – that game in Minnesota next week might be the tipping point for either one of the two upstart teams, whoever loses.

– I guess we’re going to be back talking about who is the starting quarterback again. I’m assuming we won’t know much more tomorrow about the status of Kevin Kolb’s ribs, unless it’s some devastating injury that ends his season (which I don’t think it will be.) So then we’ll see if Skelton is back under center. Skelton looked rusty when he came in, completing just 2-of-10 throws. He’ll get more practice time this week. It’s the story that just never quite goes away though.

– Larry Fitzgerald had a very good game, when they could get him the ball. There was no cheesy stat-padding today. Every one of his six catches seemed to hold importance (and that one-handed sideline grab that didn’t count because it was out of bounds still is highlight-worthy — check out the photo below.) The grab he made to keep the Cards alive on fourth down before Feely’s 61-yarder was amazing.

Plus he surpassed the 10,000-yard mark for his career. Not that he cared. “It’s been a long time since we’ve been at home and not won so it still hasn’t registered to me, really,” Fitz said. “I’m just disappointed we didn’t come out and protect home field. That’s bothering me right now.”

– Speaking of Feely’s kick, it was blocked. Not enough to knock it all the way down, but enough to cause problems. Alex Carrington, a Bills defensive lineman got it, and I suppose given all the times the Cards have used a blocked kick to save a game, it’s a painful reminder the Cardinals do not have the market cornered on such crucial saves.

– Props to Feely, though, on the 61-yarder. It destroyed his career-high of 55 yards. I didn’t think he had it in him. I guess that was foolish.

– The Cards had 182 yards rushing. Yes, 24 of it came on a fake punt and 66 of it was Kolb’s on scrambles. Yes, it came against a defense that struggles against the run. But still, 182 yards is 182 yards, easily the best of the season. William Powell looked OK, didn’t he? To get 70 yards on 13 carries was impressive. I’m guessing the Cards will be willing to ride this for now.

– If you watched the game on TV, you saw Whiz light into fullback Reagan Maui’a for his post-play spike after a key eight-yard reception. It cost the Cards five of those yards on a delay of game and virtually stopped that drive, which looked good up until that point. Tight end Jeff King false-started after that and everything got backward quickly. “You can’t do that,” Whiz said. “It’s just stupidity.” It’s also never a good thing for a player who is always on the verge of being released anyway, as starter Anthony Sherman tries to return to health.

– Safety Kerry Rhodes left with a back injury and Rhodes was walking like it in the locker room. Bad backs can be tricky. It also looked like a Bills player hit Rhodes low in the leg (kind of cheap-looking, although I’d like to see another replay) before he was carried off, so let’s hope there isn’t anything besides the back to complicate things.

– Safety Rashad Johnson, who ran the 24 yards as the up back on the fake punt, actually walked on at the University of Alabama as a running back before he was switched to safety. “I played running back for two years there,” Johnson said. “Anytime I can get the opportunity to do that – anything to get the offense an extra possession, maybe get points, I’ll lobby for it again.”

Bottom line today: These are the games the Cardinals play. It finally bit them back.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

100 Responses to “Bills aftermath”

1. By Jesse on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Seeing Whiz light up Reagan Mauia was very surprising to me. I’ve never seen him like that. Wow.

2. By Maurice Colwell on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

I agree with whoever thinks the offensive play calling sucks. The Cardianls could have easily beaten the Rams and the Bills. The offensive line needs to either perform and protect the quarterback or get repalcements–terrible, terrible.

3. By Brandon Orgeron on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

What did u think if the protection in todays game?

4. By clssylssy on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations to Larry Fitzgerald on making the 10,000 mark at such a young age…and thank you for doing what only you can do! Just watching you is worth the price of admission! And, Jay Feeley…a 61 yard kick!!!…being a golfer you should know that it’s those short putts that get you every time:( I don’t know who had the say about letting the Bills hang out and practice here all week but it seems that it was like spotting them points…hindsight and all that! With the toughest part of our schedule still ahead of us and having to play the cheat’n seachickens in their house, it seems we need SOMETHING to get us going again. I KNOW we can do it and are better than we appear!

5. By Brett on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

You said it perfectly Darren, it bit back hard! Hopefully the team can bounce back and get that crucial win in Minnesota next week, boy do we need that. Hopefully Kolbs injury is not serious, and we can move on without controversy! HA! Any rate thanks Darren for your hard work!

6. By Gilbert on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Good game I thought the offense looked better with Kolb Hope he’s ready next week.

7. By alexmannsportskings on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

How do you feel about Miller? I mean his continual want of running up the gut even though the outside run was what was working for us today, the decision to go with LSH in OT when Powell was finding a grove (although I’m sure he was sidelined for his error on the play Kolb went down) and then targeting the TE as the go to guy again on the play where both QB’s were intercepted. Do you think he has to get things straight or he’s done? Or is the FO comitted to him?

8. By NebraskaCardsFan on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

This team, esp the offense, is a fraud at 4-2. Probably the 3rd best team in its own division and will end up there when the season is over. It’s disgusting Whiz puts this joke of an offense on the field and Cards fans have to hope they get lucky. I would bet that if the opposing team only played 7 defenders the Cards would still have 3 and outs on 75% of their ‘drives’. Warner made Whiz look better and this is now the true Whiz.

9. By Cardinal on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

*(%$&(@$))%@#&(!!

10. By CaptainDune on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

I feel like you are missing a very important part of the game. The lack of O-line and the poor play by both tackles is really a key point in this game. It was a direct cause of the yardage gained by kolb (he had no choice half the time). It was also the cause of his injury, you can’t take hit after hit after hit as a QB and expect to walk off the field every game. After 3 games of getting smashed in the backfield and flushed out, this had to happen eventually. I am curious what your thoughts are on the situation though.

J

Also important to note, trade deadline is approaching, time to bring in some tackle talent before we end up starting lindley.

11. By sarah on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

I didn’t catch the game as am out of town but got the highlights. This was a horrible throw by Skelton with lots of time, so frustrating ! That said he kept them in the game and well as stated above, we don’t have a monopoly on blocked kicks which would have been a surreal wrap and story. Kudos to Feely for the 61 yarder and that was a gutsy play call. Onward and upward to Minnesota and congrats to the Bills who came in with a good game plan.

12. By Rich on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

PLEASE let’s NOT get back to talking about Skelton as a starter. He is a nice good, a good backup, and that’s that. he looked more than “rusty”. He is the same “throw into 3 defenders” backup that he’s always been. He’s nice to have on the bench.

13. By Procen on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

The offense has a lot of problem and I can’t imagine that both QB did the same mistake and Miller called the same play. What the heck! Whiz if you read our comments you fixed the defense now fix the offense and if you have to change someone do it. Our offense is being horrible since Kurt left and Miller need to go.

14. By Rich on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Skelton did NOT make the kind of screen pass that allows a back to make something of the play. I was there…very close to the play. Hyphen dropped it but it was a LOUSY screen pass. And the interception Skelton threw was into TRIPLE coverage.

15. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Protection

Started very shaky. It got better, not coincidentally when a) Kolb was willing to scramble and b) when the Cards started running the ball better.

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

alexmann —

RE: Miller

I think you’re making an awful lot of assumptions. The interceptions, for instance — no pass is forced to go to one receiver. The QB has to make the right read.

Whiz hires the coaches. The front office I’m sure is involved, but Whiz has control of his staff.

17. By Fan in Chi Town on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Couldn’t watch but the result is disappointing. Good that the 49ers lost but this division is completely up for grabs. Three teams at 4-2 and one at 3-3 is insane. If we can take care of Minnesota (tough task) and San Fran (can be done) then we will still be in decent shape.

18. By sarah on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey Rich, that screen pass…if you can touch it you can catch it ! He should have had it. Look Buffalo is an ok team and the Cards for 57 minutes were struggling against them, it never should have gone into OT as it was home field and well Buffalo ! Dumb throw by Skelton but two nice ones to Fitz to keep it close. That 38 yarder should have been it. Skelton has been out for 4 weeks and has had limited practice, cut him some slack as Kolb also threw one pick.

19. By clssylssy on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

It seems that besides being the backup Skelton serves a very important role…somebody has to be the scapegoat. This game was doomed and on life support when he came in. There is enough blame to go around for this loss so give credit where it is due! Whoever decided to let the Bills practice here all week should be suspended for being grossly omnipotent!

20. By Kevin S on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Whiz, the Maui’a penalty was a killer. 2nd and 3 from their 36, you figure we get a first down and are going to get at least a FG out of that drive… instead it’s 2nd and 8 which we turn into 2nd and 13 with a false start and now we’re out of FG range… a sack and INC later and we’re punting. Some other inopportune penalties… midway through the 3rd quarter we had a drive where Powell ran for good yards on several plays and things were going great until a hold on 1st and 10 from the Buff 36 puts us at 1st and 20 instead. The pass interference on Acho in OT was huge… they’d have been punting from their own 27, and the way they were avoiding PP you figure we end up on maybe with another poor kick out of bounds like toward the end of regulation, or maybe with that failing the previous time, they’d actually have kicked to PP this time.

For once I agree with Cardsalltheway (who posted on a previous entry that Powell should’ve been in there to start our OT drive). LSH at that point had rushed 10 times for about 20 yards, and 11 of that came on one play. So we give it to him to start the drive and get no gain. I’ll have to watch the replay on the screen — at the game it sure looked like he should’ve had it. Oh well.

As far as Skelton/Kolb — everyone here knows I prefer Kolb. He obviously didn’t have a good game here (the rushing yards are nice, but passing numbers don’t cut it). I was at the game so I’ll have to watch the replay to see what I think of his performance. I see some people already commenting on Skelton on Darren’s previous entry. As bad as Skelton’s #’s looked at the end of this one, here’s the thing — he came into a tough situation, 2nd and 11 and the other team knows you’re going to be passing — and got us a first down that turned out (thanks to Feely) to be good enough to get a game-tying FG. And on the subsequent drive, on the very first play he put us into a spot (38 yard FG att) where you figure at least 4 out of 5 times we’re going to win the game. But for Feely’s kick getting tipped, we’re not even talking about a Skelton INT to end it. So, again, Skelton’s numbers looked horrible, but they don’t tell the whole story. I give Skelton credit for coming in and giving us a chance to win. If Kolb’s injury is serious enough to keep him out next week, I will support Skelton 100%.

And, finally, as far as fans getting on Feely for the miss — it happens (see: Gostkowski, week 2, and his kick wasn’t even tipped). The way I see it, if he doesn’t hit a 61-yarder (FRANCHISE RECORD, and a FG that presumably few fans thought he would make), this game is over anyway, so you can’t hang this loss on him. I’ve always thought criticizing the kicker for missing a FG when he singlehandedly kept you in the game is one of the lowest things you can do. How often does a guy hit 2 49-yarders and a 61-yarder in the same game?

21. By tentpeg107 on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

skelton: 4 &11 –> completed the pass to Fitz.

kolb can’t do that.

skelton is ONLY in his THIRD YEAR!!!!! Aaron Rodgers was on the bench in GB his 3rd year. Then, when he became the starter, took him two years to really grasp it all. Give skelton a break, and time to grow. Bottom line: we should have won the game because of skelton.
    ~~~

Darren–why do you say it was his ribs that were hurt? He looked and acted more like someone dealing with a concussion, again. Very woozy.

22. By philly cards on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Andre roberts can’t block and even when he did powell didn’t trust him and cut inside on a certain td outside. Kolb threw pick on te next play

Most of the roster decision making is really coming to hurt us.

No matter how far ahead he gets .500 is always chasing whiz.have we out grown this man as far as expectations go? We are finding that answer each week.

23. By Soares20 on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

FRUSTRATION!

24. By Mr Robles on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

This was a team Loss point blank, everybody had a mistake….very dissapointing I give props to Whiz for getting into Reagan’s face never seen that fire in Whiz. Reagan made a play that the stupidity came out ugh I was pissed

25. By Chuck 1 on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

I think that Kolb would give the Cards more wins this season than Skelton would.

However, I hope that Whiz starts Skelton in the rest of the games this season.

Many fans have praised Skelton last year and this season and claimed that he is a much better QB than Kolb (Sarah, are you there?). Apparently, Whiz agreed with those fans and named Skelton the starter before the season opener.

Let’s finally put that praise to rest and expose Sketlon for what he is, an average backup QB.

26. By dan on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe he missed that kick. He flat out choked.

27. By dan on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Skeltons instincts are great and he gets rid of the football. I think Skelton has more upside than Kolb. I still have no idea why we just don’t throw the ball up for grabs to Fitzgerald……….got to take advantage of that. Treat it like a punt and just chuck it up……..I love my chances.

28. By canadian redbird on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Re: Powell

Kudos to WIPO on a very good game. Kolb showed a ton of heart out there; I hope he’s ready for next week. I thought the coaches made a poor decision in letting Feely try the 61 yarder vs. going for it on 4th down. Good on the coaches showing confidence in our kicker.

Offensive Coach Miller should join his associate Grimm on the next bus out of town. Our paltry 25th & 30 th rating for our running and passing game respectively is noticed by everyone in the Phoenix except management. Hopefully they wake up and rectify things at the end of the season.

Looking forward to Fitz having a great homecoming next weekend. Go Cards!!!!

29. By Dre on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Never seen Kenny get so mad in my life he lite his @$$ up. Well done you can’t do that when your driving and made a great play show boating is for dummy’s that never been there before. Well you said it right d never thought jay had it in him. Our play calling sucks I know we were down for some part of the game but run the ball it was working. Kevin is a smart man he knows if he stays in the pocket he is going to get killed I don’t blame him for running almost all game. I’m with you on the that screen it would change the game for the best I was there it was wide open. The d better play better like they did at the end of the game cause cj was eating them up. Bottom line play calling should be better and we need to stop dropping passes that goes for everybody. Go cards learn get better proud of kenny for the fire he showed even tho that’s not his style.

30. By nodavis2000 on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Tough, tough, tough loss today…

@Rich, ur crazy. It was two defenders, not three. Take a look at the video that sarah provided.

Anyways, I think Kolb will be done for 3-4 games. When he was rolling onto the ground, both Bills defenders had their elbows right into his ribs. Add the body weight and the force of their falls, right into the ribs, I think he’ll be too tender to really be healthy enough to play. I’m betting he has two cracked ribs. That sucks too … he was playing really well. Now we’ll have to see if Skelton can come in and “re-win” the starter job.

Gggrrrrreeeeeeeaaaatt… now we’re going to hear nothing but “QB battle on again in the desert” from the entire NFL for the next month… Shoot me now plz.

31. By chevy on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren, your comment of the Cards possibly riding the Powell train in the future is an understatement. Whiz put your ego aside. WiPo looked better than Lash. Why keep going to Lash in a one position game.

32. By bluepitt on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Ok, here is when I have a problem with the O line, I sat and watched #70 just stand there (after he got beat) and watch Kolb get pummeled by 2 bills. I watch sacks all the time and the dude that gets beat never stops and stands, he is in their trying to hold up his QB or at the least looks like he is trying to help the dude, and not just standing their watching!

kolb didnt look rusty when subing in for Skelton when he got hurt, he drove us down the field and put it away!

Skelton didnt look rusty, He looked like John Skelton (needs 3 Quarters to find a groove). I found this so disturbing, I was siting at my same spot at BahaLoco in the west valley when Kolb went down. All you heard was Cards fans Claping and hooting for Skelton! I yelled at the top of my lungs ” Game over” when they all looked at me clueless, I said “11TD to 14INT’s tells me all I need to know” then I said ” I hope John Proves me dead wrong, but he will throw an INT and we will loooose this game!!!” They all booooooed me. But they just sat looking at the ground when Skelton threw it to that backer! They started kussing Skeltons name, it was sick just sick they cheer Kolb’s injury and then end the night cussing Skeltons name! I mean God Bless Skelton but we know who he is by now! Kolb might throw a couple picks but no where near Skelton’s #’s pick wise.
    I hope Kolb gets right in a hurry!!
    AN Ex Kolb Hater proven wrong by his drive and determination.

33. By JohnfromOZ on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Ooooooooooh dear!

34. By carlo milan italy on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

darren,
    why with 20 sec left they didnt try to gain more yards instead of running out the time ,i think doesnt pay beeing too conversative

35. By GW on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

THE O-LINE STINKS.THE WORST IN THE LEAGUE.

36. By Jason Marcus on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Kudos to nobody it was a great loss for all, I just hope for miracles. How could a team be so lucky and win so many ot victories we look terrible and what’s worse is against the rams and bills? Wow , the team started to give during the Miami game you could see all the holes but we pulled it out, well guess what other teams watch those tapes too ,and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist Whiz went home and kicked the dog, a lot of stupid ameture penalties and goofball stuff going on gee whiz.

37. By GW on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

THE CARDS NEED TO GO TO THE NO-HUDDLE OFF. TO OFFSET THE WEAK O-LINE.THE LAME EXCUSED ABOUT IT WILL KEEP THE DEF. ON THE FIELD LONGER IS BULL CRAP!! IT’S NO DIFFERENT WHEN THEY GO 3 & OUT,GIVE UP A SAFETY,THROW AN INT.& GET SACKED ON 3RD DOWN.THE ONLY TIME THE CARDS OFF.MOVE THE BALL OR SCORE IS WHEN THEY GO TO THE NO HUDDLE.YOU KEEP THE OPPONENT DEF. ON THE FIELD NO SUB. THEN THEY CAN’T FIRE UP ON A PASS RUSH . I CHALLENGED ANYONE TO LOOK AT ALL THE GAMES THIS YEAR EXCEPT (AGAINST THE RAMS ) AND TELL ME THE OFF. DOESN;T LOOK BETTER IN THE NO-HUDDLE.

HEY! J. SKELTON & K. KOLB LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO JARED ALLEN BECAUSE HE’S GOING TO BE IN YOUR FACE ALL DAY WITH THIS O-LINE. AFTER HE SEES THE FILM OF THE CARDS LAST 3 GAMES I KNOW HE’S GOING TO FEEL LIKE A KID ON CHRISTMAS EVE.

38. By someguy on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

darren,

For fans who usually complain about whiz being to even-keeled do you think the shot of him ripping mauia gives a good window in to the world us fans never see?

39. By Rich on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Kolb can move heaven and earth and Dan Bickley will say, “Ho Hum”. Skelton makes one good pass among ten……and loses the game….and Bickley says, “What an amazing pass”. Guys like Bickley are the reason the Cards fans still aren’t fully behind Kolb. But you heard Daryl Washington…..its clear to the players who the starter is…….its Kolb……and he’s damn good at that!

40. By MIKE G on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren Hope all is well! Tough game by the Card’s yesterday. Just couldn’t get any offensive consistency yesterday. Thought Hyphen had a tough game, and liked what I saw out of Powell. Defense played well- that Feely kick was something ashame his 38 yarder hit the post he would of been the hero and then some. Really never saw Whiz lay into a player like that – the fullback has to be smarter and not spike the ball– thought that was big- a penalty followed and really hurt our drive. Hopefully we can split the next 2 games and be 5-3 at the break- that would be a good record at the midway point. One point of emphasis I would like to see the Card’s improve on is their ability not to take a safety via sacks in the end-zone. I would love to see them run the ball more in those situations and give the team more room so the QB’s don’t have to throw out of the endzone. Hey Darren–if you were to say what was the key play that cost the Card’s this game what would you say it was??? You hate to pin it on Feely on the 38 yarder especially after kicking a 61 yarder. I thought the Card’s had to get points after the fake punt–that was a momentum killer coming up empty there!!!

41. By wonderingwhy on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I think that if Whiz had to go out there and get subjected to the punishment that Kolb has had to go through the past 3 weeks I know he would fire somebodies A$# and get who ever he could to fix the problem. He needs to think about it that way and fix the problem. I know there is not an abundance of lineman out there but trade beanie, all he has done is take up space on the bench.
    Kudos to Kolb for rushing for almost as much as our RB. Yikes skelton you gotta be ready man WTF?

42. By johnnybluenose on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

i deliberately waited until this morning to comment because my frustration level was too high immediately after the game. this was a huge game for us and like a lot of you i’m sure i felt uneasy going into it. but that’s usually the way it is when you want to win so badly. and we could have won. that safety we gave up came back to bite us. i’m not sure that was the right play call at the time. and obviously the missed field goal at the game’s end. i feel badly for feely but i hope he can take some comfort in knowing that it was a bills defender making a play that caused the miss and not a poor kick. and what can one say about his 61 yard field goal? i gave him no chance at all and he killed it. great job mister feely. for what it’s worth, here are a couple of things i want to say. william powell played a great game running the ball and i don’t know why they stopped giving him the ball. maybe because he went the wrong way on a play late in the game? i also felt badly for maui’a. he made a very good play and then ruined it by taking the penalty. he is probably done now. but whiz’s reaction was way over the top. whiz made jay cutler look good by comparison. and yet whiz does not react at all when feely ties the game with a 61 freaking yarder. i’m not a big fan of pete carroll but i much prefer his sideline demeanor to whiz’s. but one thing i would do as a coach is this. i would show a ten minute clip of every one of fitzgerald’s catches. it would be mandatory that everyone on my team watch it. maybe more than once and i mean everyone, including linemen and defensive players. not to marvel at what a great receiver he is but to show everyone what to do when the play is over. you place the ball on the ground or you toss it to the nearest official. be a professional football player !! obviously some guys still don’t understand what that means. and i hope kolb is going to be healthy enough to play next week. but it doesn’t look good right now. hoping for better days ahead. let’s go cardinals.

43. By Patrick Eagan on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Protection is still a huge issue. Something has to be done. The cardinals won’t make the playoffs or win the division with this terrible offensive line. I thought Kevin Kolb was great. He made so many plays. I feel so bad for that man. Hope to you see you back soon Kevin. How many sacks is Jared Allen gonna get? I am really scared.

44. By Alan on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Bad coaching alos help cost them the game. William Powell had shown he could gain some yardage and instead of using him in the run game in Over time the coaches called pass plays. Over time was an opportunity for the Cards to re-establish control of the game..

45. By Cert 33 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

The bottom line is that this is three straight games that have been poorly played. If there are stats kept for “negative yardage” plays, we would certainly be at the top of the NFL for total negative yards and the number of negative yardage plays. The performance of the offensive line has been simply terrible. Russ Grimm should be practicing up on his job interview skills. The comments I received regarding trading the #2 QB plus a high draft pick for a good O-lineman were spot-on, nobody would trade for Skelton unless we threw in three #1 picks. Now that the Dolphins have shown the entire NFL how even the lower tier teams can beat us, I no longer can see the Cards as making the playoffs this year. Bright spots were that the defensive backfield play improved, Powell at RB, Housler contiues to impress, and Kolb’s toughness. I have said on earlier posts that I didn’t think it mattered who the starting QB was. I was wrong. Kolb is the only choice at this time. I hope his injuries are minor.

46. By cardsalltheway on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

“Cards Make A Run With Powell”

Why has it taken so long? And still Ken W. wouldn’t put him in during OT.

“William Powell looked OK, didn’t he?”

Downplay it some more why don’t you? “OK,” is that all you can say? He looked GREAT for not playing in the 1st quarter and I’m not surprised, but Ken W. must be since he has waited 5 games from preseason to ice him. William Powell made our OL look better in the preseason and yesterday as well. It’s crazy to think where we might as a team be if Ken W. would play the players(W. Powell) that perform the best during preseason – fair competition was really in his vocabulary.

47. By Chuck 1 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Now, it’ll have to be 17-2. LMAO

48. By Austen Mathews on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Anyone else see that stat about our offensive tackles on TV yesterday? The two tackles that have given up the most sacks both happen to be on our team. Opposing defenses only have to rush 3 and drop everyone back which makes it even harder for Kolb. We should stick with WI-PO because he has showed promise and we need to go into Minnesota and get that W! Obviously, I would like to go into the bye 7-2 but I will take 6-3. We absolutely CANNOT GO 4-5! LETS GO CARDS!!

49. By Chris on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Heart breaker. Darren, please let us know when you hear about Rhodes #25, never good when a player is carried off the field, looked to be a knee injury.

50. By chad on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Yah, Miller make’s some bad calls. I have wondered some of the options he lines up. He should try calling from the booth like Horton. The problem with the Cardinals is the O-Line, in my normative stance. Darren you are right on with saying protection got better when we started running. O-Linemen when given the opportunity to run block boosts their confidence level. I think Powell is kind the same running style as M. Jones Drew.

I think the Dirty Birds are going to put it on the Vikings next weekend…

Go Card’s…

51. By The Jack on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Com’on folks, there’re no assumptions to be made, Cards – AGAIN – allowed fewer than 20 points and weren’t able to score more than that, I was tired of reading and firing at Kolb’s perfomance all over the preseason, but God, he’s a helluva QB, however he can do nothing behind that O-line, High school kids would sack him easily twice a game…. it got better during the game? pssss, it needs to start better and be better all season long…. I’ll be very surprised if Az wins more than 6 games this season, hope we got a nice draft position in order to improve this absent O-line.

52. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I will be the first to say that Kolb should be our Starter and Skelton should be our backup, but I’m not putting all the blame on Skelton for going 2-10. There was probably a good 3 to 4 dropped passes in there. But even that being said, Kolb has had dropped passes as well. I guess what I’m getting at here is that as bad as our O-line had played this year, I feel like our receivers are uncharacteristically dropping more passes than usual as well. I feel like if we can clean up a few things here or there, our offense would actually be pretty good. I think it would be more successful under Kolb, but if he can’t play and we clean up some things I think Skelton could do a good job managing the game (similar to what Flacco did his first few seasons). I’m still not giving up on this team. We are 4-2 and in first place in the division!

53. By Gerald Jones on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I think we have to give our QB extra protection ALL THE TIME, since we have an inexperienced porous O line. 2 backs or 2 tight ends in the backfield, whatever it takes. No QB can be sucessful without protection. Look what’s happening to Vick for example.

We don’t need 300 plays that are poorly executed or extra receivers. We need well practiced plays where the QB is protected.

54. By wnycardfan on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

as usual, I’ll add my 2 cents.
    I’m horrified at this offense. I mean we knew it wasn’t pro bowl like, but this is just horrendous. We BARELY escaped miami, we get nailed by Rams, and then the crappy bills come in and take us out. Whiz was right, they shot themselves in the foot, they should NEVER have been that close a game given the Bills team. They stink. But our offense stinks worse. Its a shame when your 2nd leading rushing is your QB (esp when its a QB that ISN’T known for running). Great, he escaped poor OL play with his life and a 22 yrd gain. We want him THROWING the ball, not running it. 5 more sacks, we knew he’d be hurt at some point with this line. And now he is. Whiz getting ticked off was GREAT, FINALLY some emotion. He doesn’t need to go wild like that all the time, but perhaps some of these other players (Oline, etc) need a bit of that emotion from him.
    Powell, glad to see him take something and make it positive. But sooner or later, if the only thing we can do is run it outside, the other team will figure it out and stop us.
    I like a lot of the team and see a lot of potential. Even if you think QB play is so-so, we have the POTENTIAL of winning and putting up some points. But to me both coaching (offense) and player performance stinks on the Off side. We are in trouble. I believe we are close to free fall. The def can’t keep winning games for us with this horrible offense. We’ve been exposed the last 3 weeks, unless players step up and coaching gets smart, its a losing season.

55. By pleasantfishing on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

What i liked:

Powell 13 for 70
    Fitz 10,000 yards
    Feely 61 yd fieldgoal
    Pick by Peterson
    Schofield 2 sacks
    Kolb scrambling for 66 yds
    Faked punt
    both Housler and Fitz one handed grab
    Rhodes continues to make plays

Focus on the positive and move forward.

56. By D on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

The margin for error for this team is so small, that is why you see Whiz rip into the fullback and gets upset by missed throw’s to wide open wr’s and drops by a rb. This team will not be able to stay consistant the remaining portion of the year, because it’s weak areas are not going to get corrected until the offseason. The RB area is what it is and the Oline will not change. I am suprised that Whiz for the majority of th snaps still leaves his OT’s on an island…this maybe a learning year for Massie, but we all know Basista and Synder are not going to improve….sooner or later we will see a very tired defense which will give up huge yardage and points…can’t rely on defense the entire year without an offense.

57. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

tentpeg —

RE: Kolb ribs

I say his ribs were hurt because they said his ribs were hurt. And while he looked woozy, that can also happen if your ribs are jacked up and you are having trouble breathing.

Be careful of playing doctor. Everyone — myself included — thought Ryan Williams was knocked out in St. Louis. They said shoulder. Turns out Ryan laid on the ground like he did because of the pain he was in, not because he was out. And obviously, his shoulder was messed up.

58. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Dan —

RE: Feely “choked”

Or he flat out had it tipped. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your insults.

Check out the replay. The ball clearly changed trajectory.

59. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Time left

With no timeouts, they didn’t see the upside with the risk. Besides, the kicker had just booted a 61-yarder. They had faith he’d get the 38-yarder.

60. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

someguy —

RE: Whiz anger

I think Whiz gets more angry than people think — he just doesn’t usually show it in public.

61. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Key play

As always, it turned on multiple plays. The offense has to score more when it gets opportunities, like the Bills’ fumble to start the game or the fake punt.

62. By Rio on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Reading these comments about the game from these bunch of fans above makes me sick, the past to the hypen was perfect he just dropped it.
    Alll the sacks mostly are Kolbs problem he cannot make a fast read just holds ball to long, i think he would rather take a sack than have a interception, that way he looks better for his stats.

I have said for a couple of weeks now, William Powell is a player, just wait and see what he does the rest of the year.

Kolb must go, he missed King on opening drive wide open and we had to settle for a field goal after the Bills funble.

63. By brad oneill on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

biggest problem with this game was play calling. you know Kolb hesitates when he is backed up on his own goal line, you cant call anything but runs or quick outs because he is going to give up the safety. (who has the record for most given up safeties for a career in the league? if its not Kolb i would be shocked.)

in overtime, you have to run we aren’t in the two minute drill, we have a qb that has been on the bench for weeks injured , don’t put the game on him. they have a team that hasnt stopped the run not even against us, run run run then throw if you have too or if the opportunity arises. we would have been better off going into the wildcat. yes i know the bills almost gave us the game doing that but calling the same play that resulted in a pick last time it was called seems a bit ridiculous.

i have been a fan since they came to az, but i am frustrated i am not enjoying these games because i feel they are losing when they shouldn’t. i can take a hard fought loss against a good team, getting abused by a team that gave up 96 points in the previous 2 weeks is unacceptable, losing to the rams is embarrassing.

whiz has earned a little patience, but someone needs to go, I think its Grimm at end of year if something on the line doesn’t get better.

64. By Kevin S on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

To Chuck 1’s point, I don’t hope Skelton starts for the rest of the season, but if for some reason Kolb is out a while, Skelton definitely has a chance to make a believer (or atheist) out of some people… at a much improved MIN, then home vs. SF, at GB, at ATL — kind of the opposite of last year, when he became the starter at the perfect time, just in time for two Rams games and a reeling Eagles team. After watching GB pick apart Houston last night, at this point, 2 wins in the next 4 games would, IMO, be just fine. I don’t think anyone can reasonably expect better than that (even though I know Dynosaur will); 1-3 or 0-4 look a lot more likely at this point than, say, 3-1, so I’ll gladly take 2-2.

65. By rodgerscromartie17 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I think its time for fans to be nervous. You don’t lose a game like yesterdays and think anythings going to be fine. Ive never seen so many incomplete short passes in my life, the defense is not lookin like they did the first 3 weeks either. This team needs to start making moves if they even wanna think about a wildcard spot. ts hard to be happy about turnovers because im more concerned with the teams ability to capitalize on any of them, the fumble right off the bat should have gone for 7 on the fallowing drive.

66. By Sarah on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Would love to see a slow video of that tip on the 38 yard field goal, watched the highlight and it is impossible to detect.

67. By brad oneill on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I really feel bad for Reagan Mauia, the guy has been fighting to get back in the league, that run must have felt amazing for him, finally getting back on track and then a moment of pure stupidity, I am sure no one feels worse than Reagan about that stupid but well earned penalty.

I am glad Whiz finally let out some of that fire that has to be doing wonders for his heart. :)

Someone needs to hold Skelton down and shave that mustache off his face, I think that thing was tickling his nose and caused the interception.

68. By Kevin S on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Rodgerscromartie17 —

Defense has looked vulnerable on a couple drives, but jeez — they gave up 14 points (the safety’s not on them, nor is the final FG which obviously they couldn’t do anything about). One of those was a TD where they started in our own territory after a nice KO return. When the opponent has 306 total yards you are doing pretty good.

brad oneill —

Come on, it’s the NFL. Losing (on the road) to the Rams is embarrassing? The Vegas books had us as pretty much even money (I think we were maybe a 1-point or 1/2 point favorite). They’ve won all three of their home games, including vs. SEA (4-2) and WAS (a pretty good team now with RG3). They barely lost yesterday at MIA (which is much improved) and in the opener at DET (playoff team last year) they lost on a TD with 10 seconds left. They could easily be 4-2 and tied for first with all the other NFC West teams. Disappointed at losing to them? Sure. Embarrassed? No way.

69. By Voice of Reason on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Let’s call it what it is. Skelton was AWFUL out there. He made about three good throws, one of which was dropped by LSH. Rusty is no excuse. Kolb wasn’t rusty when Skelton got hurt in Week 1.

Somebody above said the fans need to be nervous. About what? They had a nice start, but this team (as much ast it pains me as a 12 year season ticket holder to say it) just isn’t very good. Their left tackle has been a guard his whole career (and a backup at that). The right tackle has promise, and will be better next year than he is this year. Adam Snyder has been bad (at least as pro football focus rates them).

Unless they go to a quick pass offense, Kolb will finish the year on IR and we’ll be lucky to get six wins.

70. By Mary on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

My husband and I attended our first ever Cardinals game at University of Phoenix Stadium!! We hope to go to many more!! However we were very saddened by the Cardinals loss. We know the Cardinals have the talent to win!! But one particular play a Buffalo player was way out of line hitting a player hard enough to twist him around and grab his head!! Where were the Ref’s???? And why didn’t Whisenhunt object. Everyone knows you should play fairly but it is NOT allowed for a player to hit hard enough to disable. Isn’t that why the New Orleans coach got suspended? The Ref’s and Cardinals and BIlls Coach both needed to reprimand any player who deliberately does something to hurt another player seriously. I was praying for the Cardinals!! Yes I said I was praying just as Kurt Warner would have done. He set a good example that should be followed.

71. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Drop screen to hyphen: sitting row one end zone, that play was directly in front of me, looked like perfect play, 3-4 blockers ahead of LSH, told wife we could score… dropped pass. Woulda coulda shouda.

Btw, Skelton can’t hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun 10 feet away. Love the kid, but sheez he’s careless with ball, inaccurate, 2 years away… if at all. Rusty, sure, pressured, sure, inaccurate and poor judgment, yep.

LONG season ahead…
    Rambo on the radio: we’re still in first place.
    Colledge: We ain’t pretty, maybe a 5 but dance like an 8.
    Me: Need to get those dance steps back;)

Watched 4 plays including safety… over and over on tape… watched one blocker, rewind then next etc… we were wholesale pushed back… every lineman caved, running and passing, we are physically weak up front, beaten constantly,not just technique… this is not a Kolb issue, its poor assembling of talent there, must be a Grimm issue, or Keim, poor talent, poor players on OL… also stubbornness of OC.. gotta call plays earlier to keep D off balance… OL was much better, still horrible…fwiw…imho…

72. By jocards on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Well that was a very tough one to lose. I think we are all concerned about the pass protection and rightfully so…It doesn’t matter if it’s Kevin Kolb, John Skelton or Red Skelton under center if the pass protection doesn’t improve this will be very tough. Scheme can only take an offense so far, it can only compensate for deficiencies to a point…..The offensive line, particularly the tackles have got to hold up or you will have an extremely difficult time getting the ball downfield. This team has got to keep working and get better….just like every other NFL team.

73. By Eric on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Well, we finally see just where this team would b without kolb and his play this year. This team isn’t even average without him. Shows how good he actually is…and those wanting Skelton?? Happy now? HE isn’t the answer. Let’s just hope Kolb isn’t hurt seriously and then stop this nonsense. The kid is the qb…period. Skelton is a backup. They need to come out and just say the job is Kolbs.

It’s awful that Kolb needed to get hurt for people to see his value.

Kolb has more talent that Skelton ever will…Skelton was terrible yesterday. Fitz made a great grab that saved him on the one play…and it was only TWO good passes thru the 11 he thru. The screen pass was on skelton not LSH…the ball was to low to a player in stride..bad throw. This offense… with Skelton will be a nightmare.

74. By jocards on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

@ Rio – Uhhh, I’d rather the QB take a sack than throw an interception too….What am I missing?

75. By Funghoul on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

There are 4 common elements to the Cardinal offensive line in the last 4 years. !) Russ Grimm 2) Lyle Sendlein 3) Levi Brown (although he’s out this year) 4) Consistently one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. Russ Grimm was a great lineman in his time. Michael Jordan was also a fantastic basketball player. Great players do not automatically great to great coaches. Michael was a “doer” and made a wise choice to let others do the coaching.

When it comes to putting the best product on the field Whis looks to field the best talent. I think he’s done a great job with the players in this regard but maybe puts loyalty to his coaching staff above their performance. Neither Russ or Mike Miller have shown the ability to elevate the talent that they have. The best I can say about the Cards offensive play calling is that it lacks creativity; it’s so predictable.

Ray Horton, all I can say is WOW!! We are going to lose this man. If not next year then the year after. I hope someone is taking notes and is attached to that man’s hip 24-7-365!! We fans would like to see the same sort of talented coaching and play calling from those coaches working the offensive side of the ball.

76. By Anthony on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Fact is the Bills defense has been one of the worst in the league this season. Cardinals can only muster 16 points. 3 from a turnover deep in Bills territory where the offense cannot move the ball. 3 on a miracle 61 yard field goal, that may have been good from 66 yards. So in reality the offense generated 10 points, gave up 2 on a safety after a holding call backed them up. After the short field the Bills scored a touchdown. Essentially the the Cards O gift wrapped 9 points to the Bills in the first quarter. Count the final 3 after the touchdown, and the Offensive gave the Bills 12 points. Not going to win many games in the NFL like that. Throw out everything I just said, not going to win many games scoring 16 points. Coach Whiz was once an offensive coordinator, yet our offensive is the most inept in the league. All of that comes from poor O line play. The one constant during his tenure. The cards have a recipe for trouble, poor O line play that do not give QBs much time and an overall lack of NFL Speed at WR. Most struggle with one on one coverage. Look at what the Bills were able to do throwing the ball. Quick 3 step drops with quick/fast WR’s running slants and quick outs to combat the pressure of the cards d. No big plays but they were able to move the ball and keep the D on their heels. This next stretch of games is going to be difficult. The easy part of the schedule is over. Lost 2 games to teams we are better than, won one against a more talented team.

Back to the one constant. Either Russ Grimm cannot coach or cannot scheme. If either one of those is true he must go. Everyone this year will say we have a rookie right tackle and a first time left tackle. So what, they don’t look any worse or better with the regular starters. I am extremely disappointed with the play of our guards and center. There is rarely a pocket for the QBs to step up into, and we cannot run up the middle at all. These guys are seasoned veterans who have proved they can play at this level. So where do the problems lie? Everything points to Grimm and the offensive coaching staff. Whiz included.

The defensive ship has been righted, time for the same to occur on the offensive side.

One last thought. Shame on you Hyphen for not catching that screen pass, hit you right in the hands, no excuses. From my vantage point in the north endzone, that was 6 and game over.

77. By Nick Pepe on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

This one scared me because we tend to play to the level of the opponent. Up and well for big games and low and sloppy for the not so big.

They came out flat and it remained that way throughout.

Powell played well and the 61 yarder was just plain thrilling. Once again D we held the opponent to under 20 points, and that should have equaled a win.

I wonder if Lindley is thinking to himself “just give me a shot”. Scratch that, I know he is. I wonder if Whiz is thinking it.

I know Whiz doesn’t like throwing rooks into the fire.

Darren do you think Whiz looks at the success rookie starters are having and wondering “if, maybe?” Is our offense that much more complex than a Seattle or Miami scheme, that it can’t grasped in 5 months or is it more a concern of recognizing Defenses and the speed of the game?

Just curious. Because I am startling to get tired of some the tomfoolery that is going on with our QB’s. and I am not ready to put all the blame on the line. Some of the sacks are on the QB. If not most of them.

And someone previously stated, just start throwing it to 11. Give him a chance to make a play. It doesn’t happen enough.

This loss is tearing me up. Ruined my nights sleep. Ruined my Monday and probably the rest of the week. I am old enough to know better. That its just a game and its not like I lost my house on it (I don’t bet on my team). But damn, this is a game we should have won and gotten out momentum right back. Instead we have the pressure of trying to prevent a 3 game skid at Minnesota. 5-1 sounds way better than 4-2.

But, we are still atop the crowded, talented NFC West!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    Today sponsored by “Tums”

78. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Lindley

He’s a sixth-round pick, so no, I don’t see them throwing him into the fire.

79. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Kolb INT was across the 50yd line, Skelton’s was not. HUGE difference, in judgment, in risk taking … cost game.

Kolb miss of King early was one we’d ALL like to have back… woulda coulda shoulda … did not lsoe game.

But INT in our territory, unforgivable, is why Skelton will not start if Kolb is ambulatory.

80. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Finally back to the Bay Area from the game yesterday. I thought it was a tough game. We had our opportunities and probably should have won. But we didn’t. For all the fans that think we should be 6-0 or 5-1. It’s the NFL. On any given Sunday, any team can beat the other team. It doesn’t matter who you are. Houston lost to Green Bay, The Raiders almost pulled off an upset no one would have invisioned. The Redskins are willing with a Rookie QB. Even with all the mistake we made as a team yesterday, we still had our chances. I’m not satisfied with the loss but it is what it is. We are 4-2 heading for Minnesota. I hope Kolb is alright, but I don’t expect to see him playing this week. If he plays, he has my support 100%. If not then I am rolling with Skelton 100%. If something happens to him, then I’m rolling with the Rookie QB 100%. Our team is what it is and we have to support them. Grimm is not going anywhere. He’s the Assistant Head Coach of all things. If anyone is released, it will be Miller, but I’m guessing. Whiz used to be an Offensive Coordinator in Pittsburgh. As I have said before and will always say. I’m not crazy about this coaching staff, but I will support them as long as they are here. Hopefully the Whiz and Front Office will makes some changes in the off season. Now off to Minnesota for a big win. Let’s go Cards !!!!!

81. By johnnybluenose on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

brad oneill. you are right about skelton’s mustache. he needs to lose that. he looks like a high school kid. a big high school kid but a kid nonetheless.

82. By in fitz we trust on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

this loss will hurt down the stretch.

3 teams now 4-2 in our division. when we should be 6-0

nfc west is wide open, every division game from here we need to win.

83. By Brent on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Eric:
    “Well, we finally see just where this team would b without kolb and his play this year.”

Really??? You do realize Kolb was in the game up until just 1:58 left in the 4th. Your comments make no sense.

84. By sarah on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Fitz’s 28 yard catch that setup 38 yard field goal attempt ( failed) :

No one tackled him nor was he downed by contact at the 28, he slipped and fell from what I can tell by the highlight, should have ran it in and let the referees decide. Two guys fell over him without contact. He just threw the ball down !

85. By Tucson Cards on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Hope Kolb is alright. I liked the way he played yesterday. Powell ran hard too.

Looking forward to a Minnesota W.

86. By Kevin S on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Brent —

I think what he’s saying is, now that teams are taking more and more advantage of our O-line problems (we looked OK the first couple games, not any more), people may appreciate what Kolb has done. Kolb’s mobility saved us several times in this game. On the very first play after Skelton came in and was nearly sacked (luckily throwing it in the vicinity of a player as he was going down — although those are the kinds of plays that often turn into fumbles or INT’s if the QB tries too hard to get rid of it), I said to my wife, see, it doesn’t matter who’s in there if they have no time. A few plays later Skelton was hit just as he released a ball and threw it straight into the ground — he gets hit a fraction of a second earlier and his arm isn’t going forward and that’s a fumble. All this stuff about how Kolb holds the ball too long, etc. is BS. That may be responsible for 1-2 sacks a game, but not 23 over 3 games.

87. By Chuck 1 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

tentpeg,

So Skelton is in only his third season.
    As the TV commentators said during the Ram fiasco, Kolb was only starting his 20th game.
    You want Kolb to be Bradyesque???

88. By Chuck 1 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

For those fans who complain about the OL, you can thank Graves and Keim. They assemble the roster through the drafts and FA signings.

89. By j on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

The o line is going to be the cards downfall, coaches and players… Replace them, put them on notice, whatever it takes. I can not believe the dropped balls. Jeez guys come on really? this team shoulbe be 5-1 easily but you beat yourself. Feely, whatever! your only as good as your last kick and your last kick was at grade school distance. Im dissapointed in this team at this time, im sorry i used the word team… This group does not stand as a team right now, just a bunch of ind players screwing up the plane.

90. By Nick Pepe on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I know there is only one of him, but I do believe Tom Brady was sixth round pick as well.

I know Lindley won’t see time. And i think we can win more games than lose with either KK or JS, so long as whoever is in there doesn’t lose” the game. But you have to wonder what is going thru Lindley’s head and also how comfortable he feels with the book and recognizing defenses.

I feel better. Saved 4 put bull pups that were living in their own filth in a cold basement. It helped me get over the game.

I hope to meet the owner tomorrow. I have a surprise for them.

Still awed by Feelys kick. We might have something in William Powell. Congrats to the best receiver in the game on getting to 10k.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member
    bring on the Vikes

91. By philly cards on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Skelton isn’t rusty he has a career 65.9 rating. Then I recently read his predraft scouting report and it was dead on.if he was cut tommorow hed clear waivers

Kolb and powell two people who if whiz had his way wouldn’t be playing.

92. By Kevin S on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

j —

See, this is the problem when people just say, replace the O-line. Replace them with what? A group of even worse guys? You can threaten them with losing their jobs only if someone else better is available.

Like I said on another thread here, Levi Brown, one of the most maligned Cardinals over the past few years, is looking awfully good right now.

93. By redbirdfan on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Very upset about the poor decision by Reagan Mauia. Good to see Whisenhunt lay into him about that. I believe that was the turning point of the game. That drive was wrecked after the penalty call. Also good to see Whisenhunt publicly address it, and the fact that he’s fighting for a job in the NFL. I hope it sinks in!

Also, disappointed in Andre Roberts’ performance Sunday. Poor blocking, dropped passes, shaky route-running. Michael Floyd decided to stop dropping passes, and now Roberts starts with the drops. I think if we come up with those catches, and get more creative with play-calling, we won’t find ourselves in such close games with teams like the Bills and Dolphins. Hope to see improvement.

94. By Cardfan on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Ugh tough loss, but at least it was a battle and not a beating like we took last week. I would like the Defense to get there tenacity back. Haven’t seen very many sacks ( other than Kolb) in the last two games. Speaking of Levi Brown , Darren any word on if he is still possibly coming back in week 10?

95. By brad oneill on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

tentpeg- I think bradys 20th game was in the super bowl.

96. By bluepitt on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

By Rio on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

————————————————————————————————–
    HAHAHAHA I love it when people who (obviously) have never played passed PopWarner comment on other people’s posts!

1st
    Hyphen was going forward he needs to be hit in stride, not to much to ask a NFL QB with no pressure(at that time) to do. If you hit a player running low 6 out of 10 times he will drop it, or have to stop to get it. That is not how a screen pass is meant to be ran!
    2nd
    All the sacks are Kolbs fault? Kolb has hit his hot rout receiver more times than I can coun,t and they drop the pass more times than not! You cant just drop back and chuck the ball, The D is counting on that when your O line is being crushed. If Kolb would have done that the corners would key off and jump routs resulting in a pick half the time.
    Kolb isn’t passing in the pocket because he knows the D is just a arms reach away, and he doesn’t want to cock back and get a strip!!
    3rd
    I will be waiting on Powell! He looked OK VS the worst run D in the NFL
    4th
    I have no clue what that means! but if you are pointing out ONE PLAY and saying Kolb must go? Then I have 11 that says Skelton must go, Skelton he missed 11 throws out of freeking 13 …oh my bad 10 the other one ended the game for us! OK 3 wer droped that is still 10 bad ones out of 13 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes it ended the game, I expect more out of a guy that was named the starter in week one, I expect him th hit a back in stride 5 yards away! deep passes maby timing is off but not the short stuff.

97. By stevenanimator on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

To be fair to the O-Line, there were a number of plays where the QB protection was pretty good. There were a few times where Kolb held onto the ball too long, however, IMO, the pressure of anticipating that both of your outside tackles are going to once again look like they’re trying to run in water as Buffalo’s LB’s swim past them with ease, made Kolb’s job that much more difficult. And then there were the times when Offense tried to run the ball and O-Line simply collapsed like deflated blow-up dolls. I don’t know if the Cardinals need a new strength trainer for the O-Line or perhaps making sure they all drink protein shakes before each game, but too many times, they looked outmatched against Buffalo’s DL. If there really are no chances of finding better tackles, they better figure out how to get more consistency from Batiste and Massie, or our offense will continue to sputter.

98. By Darren Urban on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Cardfan —

RE: Levi

Levi is out for the season.

99. By BIG RED on Oct 17, 2012 | Reply

@Rich, How about passing the moon shine that your drinking, you fool.

100. By BIG RED on Oct 17, 2012 | Reply

@bluepitt, If you expect more out of the guy that was named the starter, you really are a fool. Well, let me tell you, I expect more from a guy that is getting paid what that #4 is getting paid. That really makes you look stupid, doesn’t it.