Kolb’s ribs sore, MRI coming

Posted by Darren Urban on October 15, 2012 – 11:29 am

The X-ray to Kevin Kolb’s ribs and sternum were negative, coach Ken Whisenhunt said, although the quarterback is getting a follow-up MRI today to make sure there is nothing that was missed. Obviously, Kolb is sore. But it’s Monday, so Whiz was certainly not going to start talking about who would start in Minnesota. Right now, that’s because all the information isn’t available for Kolb yet. But there’s a chance it won’t change until deep in the week if at all. Everyone knows how Whiz will be cautious with that information.

– Safety Kerry Rhodes is also getting an MRI on his back after it tightened up on him a couple of times. That too will be wait-and-see.

– Asked about if he thought the pass protection improved Sunday, Whiz said “That’s a tough question to answer.” He added, “We did some things better. … Overall we got a little better.” The Cards will need better with the Vikings’ Jared Allen looming Sunday.

– The status for TE Todd Heap and FB Anthony Sherman is to be determined. Whiz acknowledged he was “disappointed” Heap wasn’t able to play Sunday. It was suggested the Cards miss Heap’s blocking.”We miss Todd overall,” Whisenhunt said.

– On Jay Feely’s missed 38-yard field goal on the final play — a kick that was deflected a bit by Bills DT Alex Carrington, Whisenhunt said “it wasn’t a matter of protection.” The protection, Whiz said, was good. “I don’t think he got very much of it,” Whisenhunt said, but it was enough.

– The Cards checked into the run play on which Kolb got hurt, but running back William Powell didn’t get the change. That led to the broken play and Kolb getting hurt. “It was a miscommunication,” Whisenhunt said.

Tags: , , , , , ,

67 Responses to “Kolb’s ribs sore, MRI coming”

1. By joecb91 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Can Kolb/Skelton get one of those Kevlar vests the Eagles have Vick wearing?

2. By Dynosoar on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Obviously I didn’t see this one comming. Glad I added Powell to my fantasy teams.

Feely – 61 yards!
    Fitgerald is one of only two recievers to break 10K before 30 years old. All I saw yesterday was about Johnson breaking 10K in the sixth fewest games. Why won’t the media honor both instead of only one?

I looked out the window and the sky is still up there, hasn’t fallen. So…

We’re 4th place for points allowed. (All four NFC West teams in top 7.) We’re tied wth Seahawks for 2nd in touchdowns allowed.

We’re 3rd in sacking the QB (and 32nd for sacks allowed, dead last is not good.)

Only 5 teams have forced more turnovers (we’re in a 4-way tie for 6th).

We still have not allowed more than 20 points to be scored against us. Granted, I don’t see 17-2 at this point, but I still do see 3 NFC West teams in the playoffs (Cards division winners and two others in wild card spots.)

Here’s to a win against Atlanta in November and again in January. Our defense will continue to hold opponents to 20 or less, so all we have to do is to begin scoring 21+ points per game and we win out. We have the weapons, just need 65% completion and a healthy Powell and Hyphen should give us the running game an injured Beanie and Williams couldn’t.

3. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Hoping the best for all of our players. We need all of them back and healthy. I think we match up well against the Vikings and we have a chance to go in there and pull off the upset regardless of who is at QB, Safety, TE or FB. I was impressed with Minnesota’s win over San Francisco and was thankful for it, but the Redskins exposed the Vikings and hopeully our coaches can use some of that game film to game plan against them. Jared Allen is a monster and he will make his plays. As a team, we have to limit his opportunities. It can be done and it will be done. Losing 3 in a row in not an option. This is not 2011 all over again. William Powell left, William Powell right, William Powell up the middle. Use the guy to take the pressure off the line. More frequently called screens would hurt either. The plays are there, its the execution that needs fine tuning.

Let’s go Cards !!!!

4. By Ryan McCabe on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Seriously missing an average Levi Brown and Jeremy Bridges right now…sniff

5. By MIKE G on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren– I think the Card’s have missed Heap in the offense the last few weeks. I have been disappointed in his ability to stay healthy.I really thought he was going to play against the Bills. Last year he missed a number of games as well. His veteran leadership is needed in his ability to block & run good routes and to be a mentor for Rob Housler. But it does no good if he is going to miss 5 to 7 games a season. That was week 2 against the Pats he got hurt along the sidelines– that’s 4 weeks ago- just seems too long a time for a hamstring to improve. He needs to get out there. I’m sure he’s not 100% but I think he needs to give the team some snaps. The perception he is giving to the team and the fans is that he is soft. Heck–Dockett had a hamstring issue and he gave us some snaps and showed toughness and leadership. Heap needs to show some fire and get out there!

6. By Dynosoar on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

AFC
    E: 12-12
    N: 11-12
    S: 10-12
    W: 7-14

NFC
    E: 12-11
    N: 10-11
    S: 13-9
    W: 15-9

Obviously only one statistic counts and that’s 4-2, only one NFC team has more wins (Chicago) and 5 others also have 4, but we own the tiebreak on SEA.

I really hope we can keep this up. I believe we can, just remains to be seen if we will.

Go Cards!

7. By joe on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Why wasn’t Powell playing late in that game. He was tearing it up and they just quit playing him. Also, I think Kolb quit.. He went down like it was his leg and now they are looking at his sternum.. guy is too fragile.

8. By Kevin S on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I’ll just go on record now as saying, Levi Brown, I’m sorry for any bad feelings I ever had toward you. Still don’t think you played to the potential of a #5 OA pick, but now that I know what a bad O-line looks like, I’ll take average. Heck, I’ll take mediocre.

9. By Kevin S on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Joe —

Kolb quit? The guy’s been getting hammered for 3 weeks, he just completed an aggressive run for 22 yards on a 1st and 20 after a holding penalty put us in a very difficult spot, and he gets hit again after being forced to run on a broken play. Somehow I don’t think, after losing the starting job to Skelton to start the year, that in the 4th quarter on our own 41 with 2 minutes to go, down a FG and with an opportunity to lead the team on a game-winning or tying drive, he chose that moment to “quit.”

10. By Frank on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Joe, are you insane? Kolb….fragile?? Have you not seen the beating this guy took the last three weeks?? I think he’s proven to be one of the toughest guys in the league. Joe, you’re either stoned or stupid.

11. By D on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Let’s all give Kolb some slack…he has been beaten more than Tina Turner…at least he didn’t rip his RB or Lineman like other Qb’s have done…. Jared Allen has to be very excited for Sunday….may not be a good game for Larry to spend $ on extra tickets….

12. By Dustin on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

@ Joe: You’re crazy if yo think Kolb quit. He was driving the team down for the game winning score and had over 500 LBS land right on him, I don’t think you’d be getting up either. It is time for people to stop questioning Kolbs toughness, with that Oline, him just taking a snap shows he’s tough. He had been tossed around like a rag doll all season and he just kept getting up and back into the huddle. It’s time for Cards fans to start showing Kolb some respect and for Whiz to put a reserve Olineman in at FB to block to give Kolb a chance.

13. By Mark on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

@ Joe,
    Really, you think Kolb quit, you are a moron. Have you ever had bruised or cracked ribs, I have and it sucks. Did Kolb quit last week against the Rams when he got clocked in the face with a Rams players helmet or any of the other time. Did he quit against Miami when he was sacked 8 times, and still pulled off a win. The cards offensive line is a joke and no QB is gonna stay healthy when you are sacked and hit that many times.

14. By Kurt on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think anyone questions Kolb’s toughness, but history shows he’s missed alot of games due to injury. Anxious for Skelton to have a great week of practice and for Kolb to get healthy. The Cards need them both.

15. By HELLNO on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

EXCUSES IS ALL I HEAR FROM THIS FN STAFF

16. By chriswesl on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Ive gained a true respect and admiration for Kolb the last month; hes only started like 22 games, give the guy a break!

17. By Rio on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Look Kolb can take a hit, he can married my sister, but he also takes to long in the pocket and he doens’t have a quick release, that is why he is sack so much, i know the O line is not good. But the guy just takes to long in the Pocket.

You will see next week when John starts, he will get the ball out and on target.

Oh, William Powerll has the moves, he is fun to watch.

18. By RedSe@ on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

kolb did not quit u can see in the replay how two guys land on his ribs with their elbows like something u see in WE but this was not fake and im sure very painfull if he could have continue to play im sure he would have and gotten us the win but skelton also got us in position to win just bad luck i guess with the tip field goal and we cant win in ot all the time but the skelton pick did not help either i thought this game was a must win to get us back on track so this game in MIN is laso a must win 3 losses in a row cant happen we must bounce back with a dominant win and get back that confidence for the monday night against the 49ers go cards still BELIVE

19. By Jon on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I really hope Kolb can still start. I think he’s done enough to prove his toughness and ability. I’m actually afraid to see Skelton in there now.

20. By NJAzCardsFan on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren- Stupid question of the week. Any chance the Cards bring Duece back, stick him at guard and move one of the guards to a tackle position???

21. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I have to agree, Joe, you are an idiot. Kolb is not a quitter, but he needs help. From play calling to max protection to running the ball. Kevin S. I’m with you. Levi Brown doesn’t seem all that bad now. We are still 4-2 and that’s the second best record in the NFC. I think we will bounce back against Minnesota and get the win.

22. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Deuce

23. By Ymmy Yames on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

A lot of folks were asking me, when they reached 4-0, “How many games will they win this year?”

I told them 9-7 at best. The schedule is going to be brutal after the Niners go to Glendale. I was thinking they would fight through the last 2 and pick up wins, and maybe even winning in the Metrodome up in this part of the country.

I will amend my prediction to 6-10 now. Hopefully this means they will address the Oline through a coaching change or personnel on the field. Sorry Grimm, you know you just haven’t gotten the job done. :(

24. By mike hadzinski on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren

you think they miss good ole baby ruth reggie wells?

Still would have taken Decastro the floyd don’t care about anything else

over floyd any day

25. By billy Bob on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren, When will the Cards front office realize THEY NEED TO DRAFT OL MEN in the FIRST ROUNDS?
    This OL is pure garbage…. WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER GAME IF WE DON’T DO SOMETHING. Its pretty apparent. YOU CAN NOT BUILD A OL WITH REJECTS….fix….it … NOW!!!! wE ARE THE JOKE OF THE LEAGUE ALL OVER AGAIN…Thanks Whiz for not drafting talented OL men… EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. By Procen on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Jared Allen is going to have a feast, and I feel sorry for whoever is the QB. I wish whiz should be the QB so he can eat some grass with pain.

27. By Scott H on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Well, I’m not gonna blame Feely for this one. I’m hearing that his 38-yard attempt was tipped ( ? ) but even if it wasn’t…do we even have a chance in OT if he doesn’t hit one through from 61 yards??? Wow.

No, this is not on the kicker because it shouldn’t have to come down to that. This was a game the Cardinals should be able to win – posssibly even dominate – at home. But, yet again – like the Dolphins game – there was no ability to land a knock-out punch ( not in ANY phase of the game ) and it goes to OT where things are usually decided by one play. Just a matter of who makes it. The idea of constantly being in that position does not interest me.

Fact is, we have had ONE decisive win this season. We were lucky to win the first 2 games, let’s be honest. Yes, the defense played well in both but how many times are you gonna escape with a win in games like the one against Seattle? Very few, honestly. And the game in NE was ULTIMATELY decided by a missed FG after we coughed up the ball deep in our own territory. Again, on MOST days, that is a loss. And how often can your kicker hit a 61-yd FG to even get you to OT??? Too much living on the edge, but this team hasn’t been good enough to have themselves anywhere BUT on the edge.

The Rams game felt like a loss from the opening drive. The 10-3 score for most of the game says we were in it. Fine. But I was watching the game and I never felt like we were.

The games against Miami and Buffalo were basically the same game that came down to that situation where it’s just a matter of who makes the last play. You can’t leave every game in the hands of your kicker in OT and expect to win them all. And against teams like Miami and Buffalo AT HOME, why does it need to come down to that?

With 3 of the next 4 on the road – ALL in tough places to play, ALL against teams ranging from good to VERY good, TWO of those on the east coast – and the other being against the 49ers – there is a chance we may not win a game during the next month. I know people will say that is negative but I really don’t care. I’m not saying it based on a desire for doom and gloom. I’m saying it based on what this team has looked capable of during the past 3 weeks. We are NOT going into Green Bay or Atlanta playing like this and staying with those teams.

Going forward, I really don’t see how they don’t stick with Kolb if he is healthy. He’s played well enough to keep the job. We aren’t losing games because of him. Nor is Skelton going to win the games simply with his ability. These have been team efforts across the board, regardless of outcomes. The improvements, therfore, need to happen across the board.

BTW, anyone else feeling like Peterson needs to help us out with a big return at some point??? Feels like the last one was a very long time ago.

28. By John C on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

After the frustration of these games I think watching a frustrated Whisenhunt on these post game pressers is hysterical. This guy does nothing but complain about “missed opportunities” and “not executing” like a broken record. Back in March when we see other players come in like great QB’s and such, Whiz passes on them saying we have a great thing going from last year we will be fine. Yea so as fans we have to sit here watching these games hoping the worst offense ever, including the OL, QB’s and running backs will make something happen. Looks like 4-12 this season. What a surprise.

29. By Kevin S on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Ymmy Yames —

So you are the anti-Dynosaur then. If your 6-10 prediction is simply because you are one of those people who is always down on the team no matter what, or if you’re just trying to ignite controversy on the site, then that’s too bad. I would be glad to wager a few bills right now that the Cardinals will finish 7-9 or better, and you can have 6-10 or worse.

The Cards were fortunate to be 4-0 but Buffalo is fortunate to have won that game — we were literally a couple inches from Feely’s kick being good (either a couple inches to avoid getting tipped, or a couple inches to the right and it bounces in off the crossbar instead of straight down). As bad as our O has been, we’ve actually outgained our opponents in the last 2 games (both losses). The STL game was closer than the score indicates; we had many scoring opportunities.

The team is not as good as the optimists wanted to believe after starting out 4-0, and is not as bad as the pessimists are making them out to be after losing these last 2. The upcoming schedule is definitely tough but I don’t think we’re going 2-8. You sound like the people who predicted we’d never win another game after the losing streak in 2010… and then we won 2 of our last 4. Or the naysayers last year who were saying we should try to lose so we could get Luck… before the team ended up 8-8.

30. By louis on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

your better wake up we suck we need a whole new team and coaching staff knows how to win . mr.bidwill please help.

31. By redbirdfan on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren- Thanks for all you do for us throughout the week… You do a fantastic job for the organization and the fans. Do you think there any other options for us in FA at the Guard or Tackle position, even trade possbilities? I saw improvement this week in our protection, and assume coach Whisenhunt is going to stick with the current lineup. I’m curious as to the other options we have, at least for the short-term. Thanks!

32. By john the draft guy on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

First,
    The Bills entered the game ranked 32nd against the run, 31st against pts scored and overall defense and 20th against the pass. They gave up 1100 yards the last 2 games , losing both by games combined by 100-31.

But there is no reason for concern??? Kolb went 14/26 for 128 yards! Are you kidding me? Kevin Kolb is not a starting QB in the NFL. He stares at his receivers and holds the ball. That safety was horrible.

Before you defend him by saying the oline is bad, let me ask you something. If you knew the oline was bad, would you stare down a receiver and hold on to the ball, waiting till he got open, or would you read the defense PRE-SNAP, and know where to go with the ball and as soon as that back foot hit, it is out.

For 21 years I have had season tickets and have watched the cards march bad QB after bad QB out. I think Buerlein had 1 good year, Plummer had one and Warner had 2 1/2. We will always be up and down and lose games like this when we dont establish a franchise QB.

If this team doesn’t draft a guy like Geno Smith or Landry Jones in the 2013 draft, we will suffer through this next year too. Please, Please, take a lesson from the Redskins last year and do whatever you need to do to move up and land your guy.

As for Oline, I hate to break it to you all again, but there is no help coming this year. As for next year, Brown will be back and Massie will be on the right side. That is the cold hard facts, so get over it.

By The way, Geno Smith has 25 TDs to 0 ints this year, after last year posting 31 TDs and 7 picks to go with his 4400 yards.

As for Landry Jones, he reminds me of Troy Aikman. He has the same calm personality and is accurate with his throws. He is a pocket passer, who read defenses and works best on timing patterns.

33. By Scharf on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

@Rio,

Granted, there are some times where Kolb tends to hold on to the ball just a tad too long. But when your o-line gives you only 1.8 seconds to make a decision and throw, it’s tough to say Kolb is the problem for the sacks against him. He has been sacked 23 times in 3 weeks. That’s a lot of times being smashed into the turf. Kurt Warner had a quick release, but I don’t even see him producing in 1.8 seconds. As a QB you have to wait for routes to develop, when Kolb is hanging on to the ball he isn’t sitting there with the intent to hang on to the ball and take a sack, he is sitting back there waiting, waiting for Larry to create space, for Andre to open on the slant route, or for Doucet to come back for the curl. If a route takes 2 seconds to develop, and he has 1.8 seconds in the pocket, you honestly think that’s his fault?

34. By Scharf on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

@louis,

You are the reason we were so bad for so many years. Because you quit on this team faster than a 2 year old playing chess. We are 4-2, yes you heard me right, we actually have more wins than losses, and the games we have lost, by 7 points or less. That’s pretty good compared to the Cardinals of old that would lose by 35 unanswered points every single week. This team is amazing, our defense is amazing, and if our O-Line was just a tad better, our offense would be amazing. This is the best roster we have had in years, and this is the best coaching staff you could ask for. This team is amazing and so are the fans who believe in it. If you honestly believe this team isn’t for you, there are 31 other teams you can follow.

35. By johnnybluenose on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

mjke hadzinski. i was all for taking decastro too. too bad he’s on IR. floyd may turn out to be okay but laron byrd is probably almost as good and we all know our o-line needs new blood. decastro could be contributing more now than floyd is, assuming he had stayed healthy with us.

36. By scubasteve12 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Im prayin for you Kolb. The team needs you. I know you can get past this.

37. By BIG RED on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Let’s face it the whole team, even the defense at times, were just flat. Even like that we should have won that game. They looked like the walking dead.

38. By BIG RED on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

6-10, 7-9 Wow! what a difference, to me both are losing records. It surprises me Kevin S. since your always so optimist. C’mon man I would expect something better from you, but 7-9. Let’s just hope the 2nd half of the season gets us more wins.

39. By KDubADub1324 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

@Rio
    Kolb has no quick release and holds the ball too long? Dude are you serious? I say he does sometimes, but then again, so do other QB’s in the NFL and they get sacked. Ever watch Vick play?
    The Cards have a conservative, primarily short passing game because the OL sucks. Kolb has to get it out quick by design on those plays. There are several plays though, that are called where the receiver routes have to develop further down field, or that are play action, and Kolb has to read the defense, make a decision, and step up in the pocket to make a timely throw. Unfortunately, he doesn’t get the time to do that 80% of the time. The line collapses before he can fully step up, or he’s got two defensive ends on his back before he can finish his drop back.

40. By scott023 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

We are in big trouble We have an offensive line coach that is all to blame for kolb having to run for his life. I have watched this guy fight for every inch he could get. I have learned to respect kolb, yes he tried to squeeze one in and got picked. However Mr. Grimm, you are the reason that line is in the shape they are in. Coach Whiz it is your fault he is allowed to continue,period.I know he is your friend, this is football and we all counting on you to be a head coach and fix this because Mr. Grimm does not know how to spot our weakness and give help where it is needed. Mr Miller is trying, however he is no o.c. , the play calling is the worst in the nfl. The niners play into their strenghts and away from their weakness’s. I watched an introview with their head coach and that was his answer. Makes sense to me. You can’t make a pig fly, therefore use his strenghts and you have to be better than you were.I watch these guys work their tails off. I am a cardinal fan, I have been for many many years. I was a young boy in St. Louis Mo. in 1967 when I would walk in the snow with my grandfather, best days of my life. We have great talent on this team we just need teachers. Ten days for buffalo, Buffalo . Still lose…….all that film to see?? all that time to figure a way to help the line?? go figure that???Kolb ran for his life,on first down almost alway a run?? Three were not ….I was surprised so was buffalo !!

41. By Mark on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Is Early Doucet Struggling This Year Or They’re Just Not Giving Him The Ball?

42. By Chuck 1 on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

D, great line. You should write for Jay Leno!!!

By D on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Let’s all give Kolb some slack…he has been beaten more than Tina Turner

43. By Jason Marcus on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I think Kolb needs to pay this week, for morale purposes we need him to step up and be more of a leader, he can make big plays he’s played tough and I agree with another fan who said he is better at dealing with the inadequacies of the Oline, we can win this game , but we an win every game if we don’t beat ourselves.

44. By Jason Marcus on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I think Kolb needs to play this week, for morale purposes we need him to step up and be more of a leader, he can make big plays he’s played tough and I agree with another fan who said he is better at dealing with the inadequacies of the Oline, we can win this game , but we an win every game if we don’t beat ourselves.

45. By bluepitt on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

@ Joe,
    How did you see a Knee? I and about 50 people said Ribs right when it happened?
    and even when Kolb was holding his chest after????
    are you sure you werent DRUNK?

46. By bluepitt on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

@RIO,

————————————————————————————————————
    I dont get you, do you think that the WR’s are open in under 2 seconds? that is how long Kolb has to throw, He also has to hope the D isnt close enough to het a hand on the ball, so If the play calls for a 3 step drop you need 2.5 seconds to set up. .5 seconds to long for our O line. If they call a five step drop you need 3.2 secks and a 7 step 3.7 that is 1.2 & 1.7 to long for the O-Line to protect! what do you just want him to close his eyes and throw?
    GET THE BALL OUT & ON TARGET?????hahahah Is that what his 0TD’s to 2 INT’s tell you this year, or his 11TD’s to 14Ints last year tell you, or how about his 13TD’s to 18Int’s for his career tell you? hahahaha All I got to say is 8-3 yup Kolbs 8TD’s to 3Int’s say it all!!!!! hahahaha GET A CLUE!!!
    PS: thats right our first Passing TD was from Kolb in the Game saver over the Sea Chickens!!!!

47. By KKfan on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Hope Kevin is going to be alright.

How Joe, can say Kevin quit is ridiculous. The guy has been beaten to a pulp these last three games and you call him a “quiter”. Kolb may not be a Payton Manning or a Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers but he is definitely not a quiter.

It’s ok not to like him, or want him for your QB Joe. But don’t make stupid claims that are simply untrue because you prefer another over him.

Maybe you should strap on the pads and go out there and try to play with an Oline that has more holes than swiss cheese. Get knocked around on just about every play. Then let us know how good it feels. Or how well you were able to perform.

If you think he plays so badly,be glad you’re not an Eagles fan and have to deal with a Trunover machine and a misfit at the QB position in Vick.

48. By suspence716 on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Just put Skelton in there and watch how all of a sudden we only give up two sacks a game…. It’ll be just like the preseason all over again with people saying that the offensive line plays harder when skelton is in there…. No, the difference is Skelton makes quick decisions and gets rid of the football. I’m so sick of watching Kolb go backwards and taking sacks.

49. By Dynosoar on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Scott H

I find your assessment to be very well thought out and very well presented and I agree. I believe much of winning or losing depends on faith which comes from preparation and success. Success breeds success. On the flipside, what if the other team has as much belife and preparation and similar success, that’s when the games become games.

Yes Kevin S, I’m an optimist. I also agree the team needs to execute, belief and talent will only take one so far.

When I looked at the overall picture over the last 4 years and not just a few games here and there, I changed from a Cardinals fan to a Cradinals believer. And everyone, get this, while I can’t believe some of the losses and get overjoyed at some of the wins, becomming a believer has made me happy. Week to week, game win or game loss, I’m not a fan in name only, I’m a happy fan.

By the way, watching the moving target and cryptic notes on this website for the game, it didn’t mention the tipped ball, oh to be at the game. I’d call you lucky Devils, but that’s the other Arizona team.

50. By Dynosoar on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S,

anti-Dynosoar. Good one. Ymmy Yames, we could have some fun with this.

I love my Cardinals! Go pillage a Viking Village somewhere, may I suggest somewhere in Minnesota.

51. By D on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

The real question is who do we as fans blame…Grimm, Whiz or Graves in this signing? Per profootballfocus-

Snyder may be the nicest guy in the league. He may never blow an assignment. He may offer some crazy intangibles. But he does not play guard in the NFL well. He’s comfortably our lowest rated guard on the year, and this was a fine example of why. He gave up two quarterback hits and a further four hurries, was beaten often and beaten early. In fairness to Snyder, he has always been that type of player, so the question is how did the Cards convince themselves signing him was a good move?

They better use two of the top 4 picks this spring in the draft on a left tackle and right guard.

52. By Cardinal's Chick on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

@Ryan McCabe and @ Kevin S

Amen Amen! What a difference average makes compared to young and inexperienced.

smh…

53. By Cardinal's Chick on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

@joe

Annnnnnd you feel qualified to make that statement against Kolb because you are either an anatomy expert, a physics genius, or someone who has personally experienced taking kits from 250+ DL’s???

I am pretty sure it must be one of those options. :oL

54. By nodavis2000 on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

@Scott H,

Very well put. I know I don’t always agree with your posts or opinions, but I think you hit the last one square on the head. We do need to play good overall football, not just good D, this next month. I think we can, the coaches just need to make the proper adjustments. Like starting Powell as running back. He looked good. (Just one example…)

55. By Red cards on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren why can’t we get juan Castillo to be our offense of line coach instead of grim

56. By wnycardfan on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

RE: Scott H………
    Hit it on the head. Not trying to be depressing, just stating facts that are staring us in the face. We are in trouble. We don’t have the talent in certain places and certain coaches. Keep doing your best, living on edge will get us a few more “lucky” wins. But it won’t get us a winning season or a dominate team to go all the way.
    Sorry, but its the truth.

57. By Mr Robles on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

How many Fake Card’s get on here Darren? Win or Lose Im a Cards fan for life. hate to see idiots blame the coach for player’s mistakes. How many people have you seen jump on & off this bandwagon Darren?

58. By Darren Urban on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

redbirdfan —

RE: OL additions

I don’t know right now. They might bring back McQuistan at some point I suppose since he knows the offense. But I don’t expect massive change.

59. By David Magee on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

If Manning could have been lured to Arizona, I think the Cardinals would be 6-0. The QB position is so important along with people who can block, catch amd play defense. The NFL is set up for high scoring games and if you can’t put the points on the board, you lose. Just ask the Rams and several other teams who shot themselves in the foot after some nice drives last week. There is a very tough stretch coming, the defense is good enough to win but this offense needs much improvement.

60. By Darren Urban on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Mark —

RE: Early

I guess you could say the latter. Not completing a ton of passes and there are four receivers to feed.

61. By cardsman57 on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

All you Skelton appoligists need to get a clue this guy is so inaccurate he reminds me of Derrick Anderson only DA was better!
    This O-line is not good not getting better and won`t protect Skelton any better. The one person that needs to be held accountable is RUSS GRIMM he has not proven year in and year out that he can get these guys to play any better This has been the topic of disscussion for at least 4 years now and I`m not seeing any improvment in sight

62. By Kevin S on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Big Red —

I never said the team would go 7-9. All I said was, in response to the guy who was revising his prediction to 6-10, that I would gladly take a bet where I got everything from 7-9 and above and he got 6-10 or worse.

63. By Chuck 1 on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

By D:

…”In fairness to Snyder, he has always been that type of player, so the question is how did the Cards convince themselves signing him was a good move?”

BINGO!!! That opinion just confirms my claim that the blame rests with Graves and Keim, NOT GRIMM.

64. By redbirdfan on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Stop defending Russ Grimm. He may be a great football mind, and even a great coach. But he’s not getting the job done. I know he hasn’t been given the talent. But that’s his place to speak up and say something so Whiz, Graves and Bidwell can change it!

65. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Dynosaur / Nodavis / wnycardfan –

I am SO grateful for the fans who are not afraid to engage in critical thinking as opposed to the rah-rah people who are way too sensitive and would see such thinking as negativity. I salute all three of you. You should be able to find fault with your team – especially when the faults are clearly there for anyone to see – and still be just as fanatical as anyone could possibly be. I look forward to dialoguing with you gentlemen going forward!

On another topic, I note with interest that Juan Castillo was fired in Philly today after his ill-advised attempt at going from an O-line coach to a D-coordinator failed miserably. Yeah, like THAT was gonna work, ya know? Anyway, the fact is that Castillo was a very good O-line coach prior to this experiment. And he is now in need of a job. Anyone see where I’m going with this?

66. By card62 on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Scott I see where you are going with this and I raise you a general manager.

I applaud all of you defending Kolb against stupid comments as to his toughness and effort this year as he has done his best and given us all he has to offer, but I must agree with John the draft guy that he is not a starting QB in this league. Skelton I do not know about yet, but he is probably not the answer for our Cardinals either.

John the draft guy I was wondering your thought on the kid we dratted this year?

Our margin for error is so small this year with our poor offense, but it should lead to a lot more exciting games for us fans this year.

I hope we can keep Horton for at least one year where we have an OL and QB to compliment our defense. Our offense made the horrible Bills defense look good and they made the Rams D look like the 85 Bears.

D. WASHINGTON bettter make the all pro team or something is seriously wrong.

Go Cards beat the Vikings and thanks Giants for crushing the 49ers.

67. By Scott H on Oct 17, 2012 | Reply

card62 –

I like where your head’s at, man. And I’m kinda thinking that the QB we truly need is not on the roster right now. I honestly think Kolb has the ABILITY to be a very good QB. But he just cannot make it through a season – or even a significant portion of one – without getting hurt. This has now happened for a 3rd consecutive season and that is just too consistent. Skelton….who really knows? I like him, but…do I see him as THE guy to take this team into the future? I hesitate to say yes. Then there is Lindley…but if we go through a whole season without seeing him play, then we’re just exactly where we have been since Warner left towm – with a whole lotta questions and no real answers.

Part of me doesn’t want to see Lindley play because if he does, it is likely that our season is over. But part of me DOES want to see him play at some point so we can get a sense of what he can do going into next year.