• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Rhodes says his back is “not good”

Posted by Darren Urban on October 17, 2012 – 9:26 pm

Safety Kerry Rhodes still hosted his weekly radio show Wednesday night, getting to the Big Red Rage at Chandler Fashion Center. But when asked about the pain he was in at the show with his messed-up back, Rhodes said “on a scale of 10? It’s 13.”

Rhodes, who didn’t practice Wednesday, was plain about his back problem. “(It’s) not good,” Rhodes said, joking it was “a case of old man-itis.”

“My back is pretty jacked up right now, but I’m trying to get back,” Rhodes added.

Rhodes said it wasn’t back spasms. He thinks he did something near the goalline early in the game, but when it went away, he didn’t think much of it. He came off the field in the fourth quarter when it started to bother him, but ran back on the field even though he was still in pain. He thought he could make a difference. “I wanted to help my team win,” Rhodes said. “The coaches didn’t know I went back in. I just kind of ran back on the field.”

That, it turned out, was a mistakes. Rhodes’ back locked up on him during his final play and the pain “went all the way down to my calves.” Watching the replay, you can see Rhodes freeze and a Bills blocker bear down and ram him with a block. Rhodes couldn’t move at that point and just had to take the hit.

“I thought it was kind of dirty, but it’s part of the game,” Rhodes said. “The block didn’t do any damage. It was all back issues.”

Rhodes said he has never had back problems. “It hurts when I do normal stuff,” Rhodes said. “I can’t brush my teeth, I can’t tie my shoe.”

Tags: ,

23 Responses to “Rhodes says his back is “not good””

1. By Eazy E on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Ouch!!! C’mon Kerry, we need you Big Dog.

2. By LadyBird04 on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

This sounds like siatica…nerve pain starts in back and runs down leg. It can “catch” you and you will drop. Hurts worse than the devil. Get well Kerry!

My husband had it a few years ago…pain medication, helped a little but finally had to do a spinal procedure.

3. By Nick Pepe on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

That is scary stuff. I want him back on the football field as much as the next guy, but at the expense that he won’t be able to get of bed or play his kids in 5 years.

I hope and pray for a speedy recovery and that it is nothing too serious.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

4. By philly cards on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Filling the fs hole for antrell was costly.rhodes hurt again.that draft pick could have been an olineman.losing rolle dansby and breaston was just as bad a losing warner.costly and now unwise creating a chain reaction of quick fixes that didn’t translate in the standings

5. By Chuck 1 on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Based on what appears to be a significant back problem w/Rhodes, I think that the Cards will spend a draft pick or sign a FA for his position in 2013 as a precaution.

6. By azcards24 on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

DARREN LOVE MY CARDINALS DIE HARD FAN ONE QUESTION WHO DO WE WANT WIN TONIGHTS SEAHAWKS 49ERS I HATE THEM BOTH BUT SOMEONE HAS TO WIN AND IT WILL HAVE A LASTING EFFECT ON DIVISION PLAY SO DO I HOPE FOR SEAHAWKS OR 49ERS. THANX

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

azcards24 –

RE: Thursday night

I guess, since the Cards already have a win on the Seahawks, you’d want them to win.

8. By Nick Pepe on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

I omitted a “not”….. Not at the expense.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

9. By lg on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

i hate both of them to but im going for the seahawks cause i hate the 49ers the most lol

10. By hummer53 on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

As LadyBird said. That could be sciatica nerve. But that is more down the side of leg but can start in back. It stings more than locking up the back. I don’t think rehab can help. You just have to be inactive for a while until it goes away. Kerry could miss a couple of weeks it sounds but I got my fingers crossed. He has been solid for us.

11. By DanishCard on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Here is hoping for a VERY physical draw…

12. By kauaicardsfan on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Darren.
    Did the MRI show anything? Do they have an official diagnosis on the injury?
    Hope he recovers quickly! we will definitely miss him on the field!!!
    God Speed on the recovery Kerry!

13. By cdj on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren

when kolb comes back from injury do you think he might consider wearing that flak jacket thing that vick is wearing to protect him better?

14. By djangokiller68 on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

I have heard via Rotoworld that as well as having O-line Chris Williams visiting we also had Pass – rusher Marcus Benard visit is this true Darren.

15. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Kauai –

RE: Rhodes

This is all the detail we have.

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

cdj –

RE: Flak jacket

I have no idea.

17. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

django –

RE: Benard

I have not heard that. Doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

18. By Corgon on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

C’mon Kerry! I wish you quick and full recovery!

(I know what he’s talking about, I have the same issue and it kills me.
    It takes about 20 minutes, few different painkillers and lotions until i can start running practices.)

19. By nrock on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

darren,
    for next years draft, what will be the odds we get ourselves a dominant tackle high up? or possible get some youth for the aging secondary dont get me wrong i love adrian wilson, and kerry rhodes, but they’re getting a bit older and that worries me. what is the likelyhood of us getting o-line or, secondary higher up in this up coming draft? I am really hoping for
    1st: right/left tackle
    2nd: free safety
    3rd: guard
    something like that would help i think…

20. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

nrock –

RE: Draft

The draft is a long way away.

What if they decide to take a QB? You just don’t know.

21. By nrock on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

right, i was just curious those are just really the concerns i see as a fan, and if we’re not getting anything from free agency then i assumed the draft would be the right place, but by all means if we can get talent from free agency jump on it, save our selves a pick. I just know we’re a dang good team just a diamond in the rough you know? i firmly believe we can generate superbowls from the team with the right adjustments, with the running backs we have when the healthy they’re good, recievers never disapoint which means the quarter back is doing well, and jeez our defense is just ruthless we have done a good job with getting some young players in our line backer corps, and our dline just hammers the offense, its just really in my eyes a well rounded team with some fixable problems.

22. By nrock on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

and thank you for writing back, i really apppreciate your time

23. By clssylssy on Oct 20, 2012 | Reply

Never thought I would be pulling for the 9ers but we’ve lost a Division game and if the Hawks lose to the 9ers that willl make two Division games for themt…plus, I still haven’t got over their “so-called” win over the Packers which everyone in the country knows was bogus! We need to win ALL our Division games from here on out plus a few others. Let’s focus on winning the Division…we can do it but Kerry Rhodes has been a major contributor to our early success and losing him now will make the road even more of a challenge. Hoping that Rhodes will recover and won’t be out the remainder of the season. Ray Lewis is on IR with the hope of being back and Kerry isn’t as old as Ray Ray and just as tough. Best wishes for a quick recovery to Kerry…the Cards need him! GO CARDS! FOCUS AND FLY HIGH!