Some quick hits after practice

Posted by Darren Urban on October 18, 2012 – 2:13 pm

I had tweeted yesterday that tackle Chris Williams, released by the Bears this week, was on the Cardinals’ radar. Today they brought him in for a visit. He also visited the Eagles and so there’s no way to know if his signing is a slam dunk, or even if the Cards want him after seeing him live and in person. One report out of Chicago suggests he could be OK in the right environment. Clearly, with the Williams interest and the bringing back of Pat McQuistan, the Cards are considering options with struggling tackles D’Anthony Batiste and/or Bobby Massie.

– Darnell Dockett was back to practicing fully Thursday, the first time he has done so since hurting his hamstring against the Dolphins Eagles a few weeks ago. Linebacker O’Brien Schofield, who has been limited almost all season with his sore knee, was back at full for the first time Thursday as well.

– Vikings running back Adrian Peterson and defensive end Jared Allen sat out Thursday nursing ankle and groin issues, respectively, but both are expected to play against the Cardinals and reports are that some of the practice caution has to do with the fact the Vikings play the Buccaneers a week from today, so a short week is coming up.

– Running back William Powell gets some love from profootballfocus.com.

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Some quick hits after practice”

1. By Dynosoar on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Darnell Dockett as left tackle. Our quaterback would be safe. Clay mathews would be the one hurting.

2. By Sir60 on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Dyno:

I’ve been thinking about that since the Miami game. My thought was Dockett at left tackle and Dan Williams at right guard. We’ve got Carter for Williams and knowing Dockett, he would just stay on the field for defense.

Maybe great minds do think alike!!!

3. By NYCardinals on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

“Running back William Powell gets some love from profootballfocus.com.”

. . . while simultaneously backhanding LaRod.

“Dropping the only pass thrown to him and producing just 22 yards from 11 carries, it hardly gave Cardinals fans much hope that he could produce as anything more than a kick returner.” (Gordon McGuinness | 2012/10/18)

The writer seems to be a few years behind. Stephens-Howling, undoubtedly, had proven his worth as more than a kick returner long ago. Aside from his leadership on Special Teams, he’s a game changer in open space. He dropped an important pass that could have gone a long way. I get it, but LaRod’s resume is much longer than one game.

4. By rodgerscromartie17 on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

I thought Dockett missed the Dolphins game

5. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

rodgers —

RE: Dockett

You’re right. Good call.

6. By Rick on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Would like to see the cards bring in Chris Williams and see if Russ Grimm can revive his career after all he was drafted in the 1st round a few years ago.

7. By philly cards on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Lsh is sort of like larry centers in that he shouldn’t actually be the next guy up
    He can be used there but always have enough rb that he is easily replaced.he’s small and ur asking for trouble.

8. By Kevin S on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

I like LSH a lot — hard not to root for the little guy in a game of giants. But it seems like it’s been several seasons (not sure, and the popular sites don’t give KR stats) since he’s broken one open on a KO return (admittedly, with all the touchbacks, that part of the game is less a factor). And he has the occasional big play like the OT scamper vs. Dallas last year — but then, a lot of guys occasionally make big plays. I believe he’s only signed through 2012 and I have seen him referred to by some on these blogs as a “must” signing. To me he seems pretty replaceable.

9. By johnnybluenose on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S. i agree with you. no rush to re-sign hyphen or to expect a lot from him. off topic but would a tie game tonight be the best outcome for us?

10. By NYCardinals on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S,

I am not a stat guy, but I looked over Stephens-Howling’s numbers. One thing that stood out to me was the efficiency of his receiving stats. In his first three seasons, he had only 39 receptions, but he gained 18 first downs, while scoring 3 touchdowns.

His importance in the return game has been decreased by the rule change, and he’s probably not going to be more than a situational back. Though, he seems to be a threat to score every time a screen pass comes his way (the Bills game, notwithstanding).

What can I say? I love the guy. We disagree, but I just don’t think he is so easily replaceable.

11. By AZfaninSD on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

How is Todd Heap doing? I will be at the game in MN, hope this year the Cards get out to a better start. Go Cardinals!

12. By Jason Marcus on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, greetings from Malaysia ,I was just wondering if any D – line fellas have ever made a successful transition over to the O- line?, it’s been a challenge watching games here but you would have to kill me before I miss a Cards game whhoooo whoop them vikes..

13. By Cert 33 on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

Stephens-Howling is a great athlete that has contributed a lot to this team. He is probably the best of ALL ball handlers at hanging on to the football. True, he is not an every down RB but fills an important need as a 3rd down and “Larry Centers” tpe back/ Kick returner. On another note, because he was my grandson’s classmate and teamate, I had the honor of watching nearly every game Ryan Lindley played at San Diego State. He was such a hot prospect coming out of high school that he was named starter before he ever stepped on campus. He did not have much of a problem sdjusting and I don’t believe he missed a single game in 4 years, so he is durable. He has a very strong arm and makes quick decisions (a must with our horrible O-line). He does his best work off play action (of course). I have been watching top QB’s coming out of college since the Unitas, Starr, Lamonica era, and this kid is the real deal. He led SD State to their first bowl game in over 10 years and absolutely shredded the highly touted Navy defense in an upset that turned into a route in the 2010 holiday bowl. When he leans the system, he may be better than Kolb or Skelton.

14. By D on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

The Bears Off line is almost as bad as AZ, so not sure how much Williams would be an upgrade-I think it’s more stubborness of Whiz not wanting to change his offense to give his tackles more help and the lack of Grimm being able to coach up what they have…they need to sit Floyd and Doucet use 2 TE’s to block and thier fullbacks to chip more. Jared Allen could snap John S ankle on Sunday.
    Look at SF game last night, it wasn’t pretty but they used max protection and Alex Smith was never in danger of getting his head ripped off like the Card’s Qbs

15. By D on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

All of those #1 draft picks SF made on the Oline the last few years has paid off…

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

AZfaninSD —

RE: Heap

Still limited in practice.

17. By Darren Urban on Oct 19, 2012 | Reply

Jason —

RE: D-line to OLine

The most successful one I can remember is a Minnesota Viking named David Dixon. Dennis Green moved him and it worked out well. Green tried to do the same thing with Fred Wakefield here. Wakefield was a defensive end that played tackle for Denny. I don’t know if I’d call it a success. He wasn’t terrible, but he wasn’t a standout either.

18. By Jason Marcus on Oct 20, 2012 | Reply

Wow, very interesting, but I would say there is a 100 percent chance nothing like that is going to happen this season, at least the organization is addressing the issue, Go coach Whiz GO CARDS!!!

19. By Troy on Oct 20, 2012 | Reply