Peterson’s pick prophecy

Posted by Darren Urban on October 24, 2012 – 5:08 pm

Cornerback Patrick Peterson has a team-leading three interception thus far this season, already surpassing his total from his rookie year. At this point, though, it’s far short of what he was hoping for.

“I want 10,” Peterson said.

Some players stay away from the tangible goals. Others like having a good target to shoot for. Clearly, Peterson likes the tangible finish line.

“No question,” Peterson said. “My first goal was to get an interception each and every game, but obviously that’s not going to happen. Hopefully I can get an interception in all of the games that are left, but I’ll just keep studying up on all these teams and see how these guys want to attack me.”

Getting an interception Monday against the 49ers would be huge, not only because the Cards could use turnovers but because 49ers quarterback Alex Smith just doesn’t throw many picks.

The focus last year was on Peterson’s stunning punt return efforts (and this year to a point — Peterson said he’ll stay patient with his slow start in that area) but he was drafted to become a shutdown cornerback. He isn’t perfect, but he has moved in the direction of being the cover guy the Cards wanted and he usually is assigned to the best receiver the opponent runs on the field. Sometimes, the other team looks the other way instead of challenging him.

“I think I get some respect here and there from receivers and in terms of quarterbacks not throwing my way,” Peterson said. “At the same time I can’t get lackadaisical, I can’t relax. That’s what those guys are trying to get me to do and then go over my head. I don’t want that to happen. My other goal is to not give up any touchdowns and I’ve been doing a pretty good job. I don’t count that Percy Harvin touchdown.”

Peterson chuckled on the Harvin remark. He was the one covering Harvin in Minnesota when Harvin was able to come across the formation near the goal line and Peterson got caught in traffic trying to get back to coverage, one of the downsides to having him chase a particular player. Nevertheless, Peterson will be the coverage workhorse, and try and get his interceptions that way.

“I cover the best receivers, so I know I’ll have my opportunities,” Peterson said. “I just continue to work on my technique, continue to be patient and try and take advantage of those opportunities.”

Tags: ,

29 Responses to “Peterson’s pick prophecy”

1. By Nick Pepe on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

He is starting to shine out there, and if he gets a pick on the edge it’s over, nobody catches him.

Darren, with A Sherman back in the mix will the Cards again dump Reagan Maui’a and add depth elsewhere (Butler, perhaps)?

2. By georgiebird on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Peterson is an amazing talent BUT he is not a disciplined player- there is a little bit of DRC in him. The fact that the inept Rams would go right at PP in their successful opening TD drive speaks volume about how other teams look at our defense. The Rams’ opening drive set the tone for the game and ignited the crowd for the whole night. It was truly disappointing to watch. And it isn’t as if Bradford to Amendola is one of the premier duos in the league.
    Peterson has to come ready to play against the niners. The defense has to stop both the run and the pass in the same game. In just about each game the defense has folded in one phase of the game. I read on a Vikings blog where their fans are livid with the conservative play calling in the 2nd half of the Cards’ game.

3. By Darren Urban on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Nick —

RE: Sherman

I don’t know if he is a lock quite yet.

4. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Peterson has at least 8 PI calls on him since last season.
    Incredible talent but I wonder, like Georgie, if he has some DRC in him.
    Punt returns are down but not exceeding so.

5. By HELLNO on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

This Team Sucks!!!!!!!!!!

6. By canadian redbird on Oct 24, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Completely off topic, but why would the Cards bring in Josh Brown when Feely has been well above average. Yes , he missed a game winner but it wouldn’t have even part of a conversation had he not hit a 61 yarder to take it to OT;. The fact that management would even consider Brown when there is glaring needs in other areas only fuels the frustration level of the loyal, passionate Cardinal faithful.

We seem to be deep in the WR position. Why not trade a Doucet or Roberts for a position of need. I notice that Chris Williams is still available, any word of players coming in for a tryout? Thanks

7. By Brandon on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren

Do you think the cardinals MIGHT do this?

just say the titans wanted to trade chris johnson and he got a smaller deal would the cardinals accept it?

i have heard this in some trade rumors, but i don’t think this will happen but do you think they would accept if it was real?

8. By lg on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

no hellno you just suck get off the fan page

9. By mal on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

I REALLY wish that Patrick Peterson would shut the F up about Patrick Peterson.

Just show us — just shut up and put up. He does far too much crowing about PP. Talking about individual stats during a 3 game losing streak is tactless.

Confidence is great, but so is humility. Fitz and Campbell and Dockett and Wilson — they all have tons of confidence, but what they talk about is team.

10. By Hapstr on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I as many other fans, think we have a basic understanding of the NFL. But of course we only think we know the true inside workings. For instance, my question to you is. At mid-point in the season is there any chance of truly finding an O.F. lineman that could help our team? All the talk about needing a better Q.B or perhaps another, W.R. to compliment Larry, or even a better R.B. makes me shake my head. No Q.B. short of Superman could survive our- one second- sieve of an O.L. And as far as a R.B. is concerned, how do you run when there’s no daylight, and your defensive opponent is already next to you when you’re handed the football. As for W.R; forget running any rout except a hook, it takes more than a second…. Am I totally off base? Would you disagree with this analysis? I do respect your views and always enjoy your comments.

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Canadian —

RE: Williams/kicker

As I have written in the blog a couple of times, Williams signed with the Rams Monday.

As for Brown and the kicker, a) unfortunately Feely’s misses of late have been crucial and cost the Cards chances to win, and b) these things don’t happen in a vacuum. Just because they looked at a kicker doesn’t mean they are doing it at the exclusion of all the other positions and I don’t understand how people can misinterpret that. For instance, they just pursued Williams.

As for tryouts, usually guys who come in aren’t made public. And no matter who comes in or is signed, it’s not like there will be a game-changer walking through that door.

Finally, with the trade, it’s unlikely a team would want to trade anything the Cards would want for a receiver. Teams want to trade for draft picks.

12. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Chris Johnson

I don’t see this having any chance of happening so it’s a moot point. Why would Johnson readjust his contract down? He just held out last year to get it in the first place.

13. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Interceptions

I asked him the questions about the interceptions. He answered them. It’s not like he volunteered the information. Not sure why it bothers you so much. And I find it hilarious that you would say talking about stats in a losing streak is tactless. What’s the difference between that and saying it during a winning streak? Either you don’t think he should ever talk about it or he can.

I’m biased, because I need stuff to write about, but sorry, I don’t buy this whole “never say anything ever.” I think it has zero to do with the outcome of games. Just my opinion.

14. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Hapstr —

RE: OL help

I am not a scout. I do not know what free agents are available right now. But generally, no, you aren’t going to find much out there that will be very helpful. Sometimes a guy comes on the market who might — Chris Williams, for instance, whom the Cards obviously chased — but most of the time, guys out of work right now are out of work for a reason. There are 32 teams out there. That’s more than 100 tackles already employed in the league. So the guys available are below that.

I’m not saying the tackles are playing well. They are not. But what does it say when McQuistan, for instance, who was here previous, still hasn’t supplanted the current guys? Or Potter? Sorry, I don’t buy into the “the coaches are too stubborn to make a switch.” With what this offense is going through, that would be foolish.

15. By jocards on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Shut down corners do not grow on trees and it takes time to develop into such. Folks that take shots at Peterson have to understand that very, very few cornerbacks come right into the league and start shutting everybody down. Patrick Peterson has the ability to be a playmaker and he has the raw skills and I believe the right attitude to develop into a shut down corner. Discipline & technique are both a work in progress. It is easy to see the guy has a considerable amount of upside and I have no doubt that he’ll continue to get better.

16. By Kevin S on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Jocards —

I don’t think anyone is taking shots at PP in terms of his current ability or future potential; I think they’re just saying that he talks a lot about his own greatness, although sometimes in the future tense, i.e., what he wants to become. But not always… for example, in July, when asked to name the top 2 cornerbacks in the NFL, he said “Darrelle Revis and Patrick Peterson.” If you were drafting cornerbacks from the available lot, you might pick PP very high because of his youth, and he has the ability to become not just the second-best but the best CB, but does anyone (other than PP himself, apparently) think he is ALREADY the second-best cornerback in the NFL?

Darren —

You hit the nail on the head. Our tackles aren’t playing well, but the available replacements can’t be good either. And some people seem to assume that it’s easy to just come up with a trade package to get a good one, and act like our 3rd WR will be attractive to teams. (I’ve also seen people post that we could offer up one of the two QB’s. What NFL team is going to consider Skelton an improvement over their current starter?

17. By Kevin S on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

I’d be curious (but am too lazy to find a source) what our opponents’ net punting average is. Noticed that last year PP had 44 returns, including the 4 long TD’s, and 22 fair catches; this year, it’s 26 and 3. It was obvious at the end of the Buffalo game that they weren’t going to kick to him — and as a result, we got good field position even without a return (their last two punts in regulation went 39 and 30 yards before going out of bounds). So we haven’t seen him break one but it seems he’s still making an impact. (I do hope he doesn’t overdo it, though, by trying to make a play that isn’t there — that one kick in the MN game that he tried to reach for as it bounced over his head while running nearly full-speed ahead had disaster written all over it — luckily it went off his hands out of bounds instead of in play for a fumble.)

18. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S —

RE: Trades

It often reminds me — and I am dating myself here — of the time I was driving in my car long, long ago, when Hakeem Olajuwon was at the peak of his powers. Someone called into the old 620 Sportsline (I believe Greg Schulte and Tim Roye were the hosts at that point, but I can’t be sure) and suggested the Suns trade for him, and give up guard Nigele Knight, forward Kurt Rambis and Tim Perry.

Yeah, right,

(Now, the Suns did make a similar deal for Barkley — Perry, Hornacek and Andrew Lang, but jeez, at least those guys all had upside. Hornacek was pretty good.)

Most of the time, a team giving up a player only wants a pick or picks in return. And any team has to be careful in giving up picks.

19. By sarah on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Peterson needs less talk more action ( save the talk for after the game ), you are only as good as your last play cause getting burned can be right around the corner. Bravado is great for confidence at times but the receiving core coming up will test the best, show me time back there. Also Michael Floyd it’s time to shine and the OL please complete this rhyme !

I think what will be really important for Peterson is not to take any dumb penalties and that goes for the rest of the team. Adrenaline will be high and managing it critical. Cards cannot afford dumb penalties at inopportune times ! There is going to be allot of baiting going on, restraint will be tantamount. Things like roughing the passer to late hits cannot happen.

20. By mal on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

I can understand why you would get peeved that I got peeved — since you were asking PP the questions, and just doing your job trying to get some copy. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I guess I’ve become spoiled by guys like Fitz, Lenon, LSH, and A-dub who never talk themselves up. The only time Adrian seems to allow himself to talk about his own personal stats is during the off-season when no games are being played.

Altho you may find my comments hilarious, you know as well as I do that most players dont talk up their individual stats when the team is losing. Sacks, tackles, picks — all that doesnt matter if you lose. Just like LSH not caring about a 100 yard game in a losing cause. Or like last year during the losing streak when A-dub completely quit talking to everyone. He explained: “just say it on the field.” So yes, I think it makes a difference if the team is winning or losing.

I must admit my bias, tho — PP has been bugging me lately with his high opinion of himself. He’s begun to refer to himself in the third person, as in “PP did this” instead of just saying “I did this.” He still brags about his special teams skills — based on last year — but hasnt done squat this year in the return game. He’s gotten beat several times over the top, too, but he talks like he a shut-down guy. Bring it first, then talk.

I dont mean to sound too harsh or judgemental. He’s got super talent and has to be a great guy. He had a 3 fumble game but the coaches didnt blink an eye, so that alone speaks volumes. PP must be really accountable. He calls everybody ‘sir’ and shows a lot of respect. And his position at CB does require a certain amount of swag. I get all that. But he’s only in his second year and needs to earn his cred. I think he should first put up a better year than he’s had so far before he gets TOO pleased with himself.

21. By Darren Urban on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Peterson/opinion

All fair points.

And I will admit, talk means something to me. The guys that don’t say anything make writing stuff very difficult. It makes my job much harder.

22. By Boondock on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

For those of you saying Peterson got torched deep against St. Louis on their opening drive, did you even see the coverage he had? He didn’t get burned, he failed to get his head around in time or that would have been an easy pick. I don’t fault him for the PI calls he gets, a lot of them are iffy. Plus, you have to build your reputation as being a physical corner. Revis probably does more PI than anyone in the league, but he gets away with it because he is a “physical” corner and has built a reputation.

I hate arrogant people who speak in the third person just as much as the next guy, but I don’t think Peterson does it all that much, I could be wrong. I want players on our team to have some swagger, you need it, especially at CB. I don’t think there is anything wrong with having individual goals either, not like him setting a personal goal is going to negatively impact the team.

On a more positive note I am glad we are starting to give Housler some more playing time, we need to utilize him more in the passing game. He makes plays when they throw him the ball and he has been blocking like a champ lately. Have him chip on a DE and then run a route, lord knows we need help blocking the DEs/OLBs

23. By Kevin S on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Haha Darren, sports talk radio brings out clowns 10 times worse than the worst on this blog.

24. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Totally unrelated question to the subject Darren, but I must ask:
    In the notebook reply section, some comments have been deleted because the respondents have “been blocked by our staff”.
    Are we notified that we’re not on the AZCardinals.com Christmas list? Or are we kept in the dark?
    Cuz, I’d hate to be wasting my flava when some people only want to talk about Fitz’s hair.

25. By BIG RED on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

@Kevin S. yea that’s the same thing with kolb, what NFL team would want a Half season QB.

26. By Nor cal cards fan on Oct 25, 2012 | Reply

Urb- How dare u misspell Negele Knight’s first name…Lol.

27. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Blocked

Those comments blocked are auto-generated by “users” that are spamming. I’ve blocked those users, so when the spam comes through, that’s what you see.

28. By Kevin S on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I agree Big Red, whether Kolb or Skelton — neither is going to get that much in a trade at this point.

2. Dec 21, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Friday before the Bears