A salute to Roberts’ roots

Posted by Darren Urban on October 26, 2012 – 12:32 pm

Wide receiver Andre Roberts has already scored more touchdowns this season in seven games — five – than he had total in his first two seasons — four. I’m not sure he saw such an outburst coming, but he was ready for it. Right before the season, he started contemplating a post-touchdown celebration, although it wasn’t really a celebration. A salute “just came to me,” Roberts said, and it made sense, because Roberts attended the military school The Citadel in South Carolina.

“I remember where I came from,” Roberts said. “Going to The Citadel, I learned to work hard and be disciplined. Hard work always pays off. If it wasn’t for The Citadel, I wouldn’t be where I am today.”

Which, more often than the past, includes trips to the end zone. Roberts already has 29 receptions for 389 yards too, and has developed into the kind of receiver the Cards were counting on when they drafted him. He’s able to block, he’s a smart player, he’s got a pair of 100-yard games already, and as he has proven, he can make the important plays, like scoring.

“I’ve already got five,” Roberts said. “That works for me.”

Tags:

18 Responses to “A salute to Roberts’ roots”

1. By Chris B on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I admit; this kid is growing on me.

2. By rodgerscromartie17 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

are the cardinals goin all red this game?

3. By Dynosoar on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I like the Salute. Hoping to see it more and more. I also like Fitz’s celebration, just toss the ball to the officials. Both have class!

Looking forward to seeing both celebrate Monday night. let’s take the stat of least touchdowns alowed from those 49ers. Be cool if after Monday night it was 49ers have allowed 25 touchdowns, Cardinals 22.

Andre, thanks for your efforts.

Go Cards! NFC West leader after Monday Night!

4. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

rodgers cromartie –

RE: Red on red

I wouldn’t be surprised but they don’t announce those things usually.

5. By dan on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

I was hoping the Cardinals would just cut him and play somebody else but so far is a proving me wrong, then again he’s no exactly lighting things up but we will see. Exceeding my expectations.

6. By john the draft guy on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Floyd is listed at 6’3″ and 225. You have stood by him, is his size correct. He looks bigger on the field to me. With Larry, who has thin hips listed at 218 (yes a very solid 218). Floyd seems like he is 235-240.

Any insight?

As for Roberts, love what is is doing. He runs his patterns so precise. With Larry drawing the attention, Roberts can be in the perfect situation when we draft Landry Jones next year. :)

7. By dan on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, Cardinals ever going to wear those old throwback uniforms? U know, those red and gold uniforms? LOL! Man those were ugly.

8. By Safety Guy on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

If they tie up Fitz Roberts may get a few more.
    Not a fan of the red on red look. But if it gives them an edge…who cares

9. By philly cards on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

All I think about is the double move from the rams game he blew.
    we bought the wife a new car but she still drives the old one she couldn’t depend on in the first place.

Could we trade him for a high pick? no. Way too inconsistent and nothing irks me more than playing well during contract year.

We have this issue at a minimum 4 positions

10. By hotValleySun on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Andre,You are doing a great job.

If you see Early Doucet, can you please teach him how to catch a football?

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy –

RE: Floyd

Having seen Floyd in the locker room, I don’t see him as being that big. It seems 225 is the correct ballpark. But I’m not a doctor.

12. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Philly –

RE: Double move

What the heck are you talking about? The pass Kolb overthrew?

13. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Do you see any similarities, professionally and/or personally, between Roberts and Steve Breaston, Darren?

14. By AzDesertRat1953 on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

Love the ‘TD Salute’ and the fact it honors The Citadel. Wish more kids today had an education like his.

I agree, your doing just fine, keep doing what your doing Mr. Roberts.

GO CARDS!!!

15. By Darren Urban on Oct 26, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Roberts/Breaston

I do see some. Steve was longer and you could see it in his stride; Roberts is more compact. But there is a reason they let Steve go when they felt Roberts was ready. Personally, both are great guys. I hung out with Roberts a bit when I was in Minnesota this summer and he’s a good guy. But I still talk to Breaston every once in a while and he’s a guy I was very bummed to see leave.

16. By Kurt on Oct 27, 2012 | Reply

I remember Andre’s first training camp and all the dropped passes. I admit I was concerned about his future with the Cards. This blog was blasting him on a daily basis then Darren reminded us of his character and where he came from, and maybe we should all give him a chance.

Darren eloquently put us all in our places. Good call Darren.

17. By john the draft guy on Oct 29, 2012 | Reply

Kurt,
    I was one who could not understand his pick and then , compounded with the drops he had, had me questioning if he would be a bust.

I remember that draft well. I was all over Eric Decker, who was drafted one spot above Roberts. With Decker gone, 2 defensive players I was saying we needed. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and Navorro Bowman. One became a pro bowler, the other was a bust for the Cowboys. I remember Darrens response when I said how could they pick Roberts over these guys. ” The Cards must have him rated higher than the other guys”.

Roberts is one of those guys who could have drifted off as a bust very easily. Obviously, he worked his tail off and has that strength in character and believe in ones self that every coach wants. Those are the things, as fans, we are not open to see. It is always something to think about when asking why Whiz is going with this guy or that guy and not someone else.

Which, then makes me wonder why we drafted a WR #1 when we had a solid #2 and a guy with great character.. Hmmm.

2. Mar 12, 2014: The Redskins Blog | The Poetry of Andre Roberts