Niners aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on October 29, 2012 – 11:20 pm

Ken Whisenhunt called it a test, Monday night’s game. The grade was not good. The defeat was very methodical, but that’s the 49ers, isn’t it? The Niners’ run game gashed the Cards early, then when the Cards stiffened San Francisco went to the air, and it’s just too hard to score against that defense. Not when the Cards’ offense is looking for answers.

“We have to get tougher and more physical and get after them that way because at this point we aren’t doing a whole bunch of things successfully,” center Lyle Sendlein said. “We just have to start punching people in the mouth.”

There was absolutely no room to run. LaRod Stephens-Howling was swamped almost every time he carried the ball, and the run game was hurting more than it was helping. With a game in Lambeau this coming weekend against an offense that can score a lot more than the 49ers do, the Cards need to find a way to generate more points. Yes, that’s obvious. But that’s also the fact.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt was asked if he was comfortable with the starting offense. Like Larry Fitzgerald said later, noting that the guys in the locker room were the ones who were going to be in it for the long haul, Whiz knows options are limited.

“I guess we don’t have a lot of choices,” Whisenhunt said. “We’re always looking to get better, but we have to do a better job of taking advantage of our opportunities.”

So, although the trading deadline is coming up, I’m not expecting Steven Jackson or DeAngelo Williams to come walking through that door. And certainly not Kurt Warner.

– Darnell Dockett said the first thing after the loss he thought of wasn’t the four-game losing streak. It was Whisenhunt.

“We are letting our coach down,” Dockett said. “I think Coach Whiz is very fair with us, he’s a player’s coach and I feel like as players we are not giving enough back to him. I felt that more than anything after the game. He’s really been looking out for us. He works us hard but he wants us to be more mature. I felt we let him down in the Buffalo game. He asked us to give him everything we got and I felt some of us didn’t. We didn’t last week. I can see it on his face.”

– Dockett talked about players staying professional, which is why they won’t slide off the map this season, even with things looking grim. But he said he was ready to say some things that were said first by Whisenhunt.

“Coach called out a lot of things today that I wanted to say to some guys,” Dockett said. “Guys in the training room that we need on the field. We need them. Hopefully the message rings a bell.”

– That was the first time the Cards had allowed more than 21 points in a game this season. The defense did not play well, and in a game that was supposed to be a tight, defensive affair, the early missed tackles are unacceptable. But it’s not like the Niners hung 45 on them.

– That huge hit Dashon Goldson put on Early Doucet made me think of the scuffle they got into last year. Not that it had anything to do with the hit itself, but funny how those two keep meeting. Physically.

– Niners coach Jim Harbaugh obviously didn’t like the stories about quarterback Alex Smith losing confidence or Harbaugh losing confidence in him. So, after Smith completed 18 of 19 passes and was nearly perfect, Harbaugh had his shot when asked about the showing helping Smith’s confidence.

“I don’t think there was ever a question there,” Harbaugh said. “I think it’s just a lot of gobble, gobble, turkey. Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey. That paints a pretty good picture. He’s a very confident guy.”

Alrighty then.

– Linebacker Daryl Washington had two sacks again. He becomes the first Cardinal to have two sacks in back-to-back games since Eric Swann did it back in 1999.

– The Cardinals are only the third team ever to start a season 4-0 and then lose their next four games. The first team to do that, the 1993 Philadelphia Eagles, finished the season 8-8. OK, not ideal. But the 2002 Oakland Raiders ended up going 11-5 and making it to the Super Bowl. Obviously, I’m not predicting that, but this losing streak does not have to be a death knell.

– Now, if the Cards can’t generate more offense, well, that could be the death knell. I can’t remember points being at such a premium for this team. But they were finding ways to score some points earlier this season. It can’t be that they have just forgotten. They’ll never be the Patriots or Packers, but it shouldn’t be like this and they know it. That’s why the frustration grows.

It’s late. It’s a short week, and I have a long drive home. We can talk more tomorrow.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

80 Responses to “Niners aftermath”

1. By hotValleySun on Oct 29, 2012 | Reply

Darren, What was Coach’s answer to take a field goal when we are down 24-0 late in the third quarter when cards were facing a 4th down?

2. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

hotValley —

RE: FG down 24-0

Whiz’s answer:

“It was just outside of Jay’s (Feely) range. I thought at that point, because Dave (Zastudil) had been doing so well with punting, that we may have a chance to pin them deep, maybe get a turnover and get something positive happening with our defense. Or we could give Patrick (Peterson) a chance return the ball on a short field. At that point, because it was still fairly early, I thought I’d rather play the field position. Maybe at that point we could have a chance to score on a shorter field. If you go for it and you don’t make it, then even if you stop them, you’re backed up in your territory.”

3. By canadian redbird on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

ACCOUNTABILITY:

Based on Whiz’s post game comments, accountability seems to play a huge part of the Cardinals demise . I don’t know if it will ever happen, but the offensive line holds no promise for the remainder of the season. When do we see Grimm being held responsible for his portion of the ineptness. If nothing else, his dismissal would serve as an example that mediocrity will not be tolerated; heck what do we have to lose. Chris Miller could also fit in this category as well.

As well, I can’t begin to imagine the frustration that Fitz has to be going through. He is one of the best leaders ever to wear the cardinal jersey.

I think we need a Conrad Dobler clone that would instill some nastiness on the O line. Lets hope for a better outcome against the Pack.

4. By cardsalltheway on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

“There was absolutely no room to run. LaRod Stephens-Howling was swamped almost every time he carried the ball…”
    WILLIAM POWELL=ICED, AGAIN! Thank you Ken W., we can leave it all up to you.

5. By Marco on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

NFL Draft 2013 Here we go again.
    I’M just hoping the cads will change 80% of their offensive starters next year.
    And if they will not get a whole new O-Line I will not watch a cards game anymore next year. This has nothing to do with Professional Football what these guys are playing. NO Run support & No pass protection…. Somebody needs to tell Russ you can’t turn a piece of shit car into a Mercedes…. Even though your name is Russ Grimm a HOF Guy!!!!!

6. By Christo on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Real simple.

We haven’t done anything since Warner left.

Maybe Whis should realize he does not have a future HOF QB on the roster and make some adjustments? Or maybe that’s Miller?

As if it wasn’t know YEARS ago, the FO will now have to address the OL. Levi Brown should not be a part of that picture, and frankly Grimm should be shown the door too. It’s his guys, other teams suffer injuries; they aren’t the worst line in the League.

How about our wonderful strength and conditioning coach? Seems like we get destroyed by injuries every year. Adios Lott.

Graves could probably go for thinking re-signing the worst LT in the League was a good idea, oh and the worst rated G as an FA pick up.

Maybe Mr. Bidwill will realize it’s time for a clean slate? Whis is a .500 coach, big deal. He’s stated himself that the good will from the Super Bowl is long gone, is it? Because the FO has a nice shield around this personnel that are not out on the field.

Blow it up already, try to keep Horton.

7. By Jakenit16 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren, the O line has been awful all year, forget that since coach whiz has been here. how is it they draft 1 o linemen in the top 3 rounds in the past 6 years, don’t you need to build you foundation from the line offense and defense. I also don’t understand how Russ Grimm still has a job, him and the OC, is this not a results based industry, where are the results. Last night game was a joke, national tv and the cards were an embarrassment. I its time for Whiz tighten the reigns a little.

8. By dan on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Smoked like a cheap cigar.

9. By Jetstreamgreen81 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I could only watch until halftime. What a mess this team is. Where is William Powell to run the ball. He is bigger and more physical than LSH. I love LSH but come on. Why in the world is the back up running back returning kicks as well? What if he gets hurt on it. Whis really makes me shake my head. I only see maybe the Jets as a win the rest of the way and I hope I am wrong but this team was terrible tonight. Patrick Peterson, love you but you are way too full of yourself and Crabtree( yes that pathetic excuse of an nfl receiver) torched you tonight. The announcers got it right when they said teams don’t challenge shut down corners. Everybody challenges Peterson. D where did you go. My 9 year old son could tackle better than you. William Gay, go back to the Steelers. He couldn’t cover the ground with his shadow. My only hope is that they lose every game and get the best and highest pick they can get to fix the ol and qb situation. My real hope is the playoffs but my brain takes over and back comes reality. Wish I could be more positive but this is pathetic.

10. By Rob on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I think it would be more appropriate if Lyle Sendlein had sad ‘we need to start slapping people in the mouth’ instead of ‘punching’. These guys are not good enough to punch anyone but girly slapping might work. This team is a joke and it starts with Whisenhut. Fire him and all the offensive bozo’s give the job to Horton and play it out.

11. By dave on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I do understand that the O-line sucks!! However, even when he has time to throw–he is off target and more often than not–is risking the safety of his receivers by throwing high–he’s going to get someone killed!! John Skelton is not the answer!! Obvioulsy, Kolb is out for an extended period–it’s time to give Ryan Lindley a shot and at least give the Cards a glimpse of what needs to be done in the off-season. Yes I understand it’s only halfway through the season, but realistically–if you are wathcing the Cards every week, you know as well as I do with this offense, they are going nowhere fast this season!! As stated in my first line–aside from the QB position, the Cards HAVE to address the O-line in a big way this offseason….

12. By cardsalltheway on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Quitters, that’s the Cardinals coaches are. How can you quit on the running game after 8 carries and then say “we couldn’t run against the 49ers? And, since when have we only used 1 RB? Even with Beanie Wells and Tim Hightower(bigger backs) we never used just one of them. How is that W. Powell who looked so good just 2 weeks ago, does he not deserve a chance to play anymore? LSH has done well but does that mean W. Powell rides the pine? For the improper and lack of handling W. Powell alone, Ken W. deserves to be fired ASAP. I could go on and on with other reasons but I’m sure other fans will.

13. By Dan on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

It’s getting pretty hard to watch anymore. Skelton is just horrible and they wont win another game with him at quarterback. At least Kolb looked like he was trying and cared about winning. I see absolutely no emotion from Skelton.Darren, why would the Cards kick a field goal being down so much and given the time left in the game? Bad coaching and I dont see them winning another game until Kolb gets back.Any time line on his return?

14. By Jordan on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I was so confident that we were gonna be able to enjoy some playoff football this year. It’s still possible but it’s looking more and more unlikely every week. This was the best we could do at home on MNF in a game that all the players were so excited about? I know we have a mentally tough team, but this is emotionally draining.

15. By wnycardfan on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Did anyone come to play or were they just there for the free gatorade on the sidelines??? I mean, really, What the ****!!!??? Out coached (again), out played, no energy, no tackling, no blocking, crappy passing, no running. What did we do in this game.????? Punted well? We had some talkers leading up to this game, and they got their ass handed to them. Skeleton can’t do it. I don’t even know if Warner could have with this piss poor team. Big deal, 4-4. Its a flipping fantasy that they got 4 wins at all. Def is now starting to fall apart. Teams got their number on Def now. OFF is the most horrible, inept players I’ve seen. I agree with a lot on the other blog entry, someone needs to get fired. Start with the OL coach and then the OFF COORD. How can this OFF be this bad if Ken W was an OFF coach before????? IF at my job we knew a VIP was coming into the place to tour and we had an extra day to prepare, and doing well would help the company out, and we had a performance like this, heads would roll. Where is the accountability. Both on the players and on the coaches. Our game plans are crap. “oh but we have injuries” yeah every team does, but they don’t epically fail like the CARDS do and that to me is a direct reflection on the coach. Dockett is right, all of them let the coach down, but if the coach isn’t giving them the direction, game plan, etc they need they he let them down too. Enough nicey nice BS, play some damn football.
    Can we see if Conrad Dobler is available for the OL??
    How about Herm Edwards for coach (PLAY TO WIN). I”m glad they THINK they aren’t going to give up the rest of the season, but based on the last few games (even the Dolphins game they won) they don’t need to give up, they play like it anyway.

16. By Rich on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

If Skelton is with the team next year – I will NOT renew my season tix. In fifty years of watching pro football, I have never seen a worse qb. Any of you who think he is better than Kolb should find another sport to follow.

17. By Rich on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

we need a big change at the top

18. By Red cards on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe people are blaming Skelton on this one I thought he managed the game well he played every bit as well as kolb would have its poor play calling why the hell were we trying to to run on the niners anyone could see that wasn’t going to happen , I think it’s time to do something drastic and fire Grimm bring in some one to work with this crap oline hey whiz do you think it’s time to hit the panck button yet you better do something or fans are goIng to want your head

19. By cardsalltheway on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

November 22nd could be our next victory but not before. Gotta say good riddens(CAN’T WAIT TILL 2013) to our head coach, offensive coord., and offensive line coach. Keep the QB coach as our interim offensive coord and the head coach interim to Ray Horton.

I’m glad people are talking about firing Ken W., it’s about time. There are a few things I disagree with which I’ll note below the link.

“Buying or Selling Ken Whisenhunt as Head Coach of Arizona Cardinals in 2013″
    “the running back position is a glorified game of musical chairs.”
    There isn’t anything “musical” about playing 1 RB and handing off to him 8 times.

“Whisenhunt has assembled an elite defense”
    Our defense is far from “elite.”

“Whisenhunt is not the man who drafts the players on his team”
    Not true, he is partially responsible at the least.

“Not bringing Whisenhunt back in 2013 may only stunt what forward momentum the Cardinals have gained under his leadership.”
    Ha ha ha!!! The sooner the better and don’t let the door hit you on your way out!

“Verdict”
    It’s full of excuses which most fans are done with. I disagree with everything in the so-called “Verdict,” gag me with a spoon, the bleacherreport blows.

20. By JMONDO on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Ugh…

After screaming for the Cardinals to take David DeCastro in the draft. The thought was “He was only a guard”. That seems like a totally different thought now doesn’t it ??? I’ve been a fan of the Cardinals my entire life, and will remain one… but this Offensive Line is the worst collection of talent I’ve seen. Sure, I know they are trying.. .but you can’t have low to undrafted players attempting to block Blue Chippers every play.. it’s just not going to work. There is nothing there…

I’ve never seen a team have to give up on the run not because it isn’t effective enough, but because it’s actually DETRIMENTAL to the offense to attempt a run. It’s virtually like taking a sack every running play…. 2nd and 12, 2nd and 11, 2nd and 13… they can’t even get to the line of scrimmage.. it’s That bad…

Assuming the entire office doesn’t get blown out… and sadly.. I see a free fall coming.. do you think that NOW they will start drafting offensive lineman ????

Love this team… but I can’t see any more than 2 wins the rest of the season, and even that might be seriously, serioulsy pushing it.

21. By NMCardsFan on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Strength on offence is our recievers lets maybe find a way to play to our strengths instead of our weakness ( running game ). Doesnt matter who we have at quarterback, he is going to get creamed until we fix line. When we go to spread offence, how about sherman or ma’i staying back to pick up defender coming through untouched. For everyone calling for Whiz’s head, take a deep breath and step back from the edge. I remember the dark ages and don’t care to go back to them. He is best coach we have had and should support him to turn it around. Management please do whatever it takes before trade deadline to get offensive lineman. I was as dissapointed and mad as anyone watching last night, but will still make annual trip in december to see my team. Go Cards.

22. By cardsalltheway on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

5-11, we’ll be lucky to win one more game which will most likely be vs.the Rams on Nov. 22nd but that’s it folks, so predictably inconsistent was 2012 unless you find consistency in losing. Can we get Fitz’s bro on here?

23. By jocards on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Things are bad, things are very bad. Injuries are certainly a part of the package in the NFL and every team must deal with them but to lose your QB and top two RB’s and sustain OL injuries along with the skill position setbacks appears to be just too much to successfully deal with. Excuse? Perhaps to a degree it is and it also speaks to our lack of depth….but regardless it is a difficult situation to rise above. Now anybody that thinks the offense is better off with John Skelton under center after watching the last few games is in my opinion certifiable. I’ll allow that the pass protection and running games have been horrible but they were horrible for Kolb too and the team still managed to move the ball and put up a few points. Skelton has little chance to develop behind this ridiculously ineffective OL though. QB and RB issues aside this team will struggle to sustain any kind of offense with the OL play being so obviously inadequate. To state the blatantly obvious, this team is bad right now.

24. By Nick Pepe on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I prayed for Sandy to spare us and not knock the power and cable out last night. Unfortunately, I got my wish and had to watch some really bad football. Flat. That would be the last thing I expected.

So frustrated.

Good news hurricane caused minimal damage, my family is safe. That is all that matters.

……..But still so frustrated!

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

25. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Dan —

RE: FG/Kolb return

Whiz’s answer on the FG try is at the top of the comments on this blog. As for Kolb, the team continues to leave his return status vague.

26. By D on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

HOW TO FIX THE CARDS FOR NEXT YEAR.
    It’s going to be a rough road rest of the year, I am thinking a 7-9 record is realistic at best. (wins at home against Rams, Lions and on the road at the Jets)

Right now the Cards are sitting at the 11th spot in the draft. I don’t see them in the top 8 of the draft, meaning the top 2 QB’s won’t make it past KC, Jackville, Browns and Oakland. I don’t see any difference between the 3 or 4th ranked QB this draft and a QB you can draft in round 2, like a Landry Jones. That means I would take the best left tackle in the draft, either Jockel or Lewan in round 1.

So, if I am AZ, besides making a Oline coaching change this spring, I would do the following:
    Draft in round 1- the best Left tackle available. Should be able to get one of the top 2.
    Bring back Levi Brown and move him back to Right tackle. He played there during the Super Bowl run and it will give Massie more time to develop for the following yr.
    Draft a QB in Round 2. Kolb is not worth the money he is due because of injuries and performance. Skelton is just a backup and Lindley is a project.

Round 3 of the draft: Take the best RB. (S. Taylor) Both Beanie and Ryan have injury histories. I would try to unload Beanie, resign Hyphen.

Round 4 of the draft: Take the best Right G, maybe a A. Bailey or O. Uzzi. Release A. Synder.
    Round 5: Need depth at DE.
    Round 6: Strong safety or a Kicker. (depending on if Sanders is worth keeping around after this year. I don’t see R. Johnson on the team next year.

Two new starters on the Oline for next year (Lft Tackle and Right G) with Brown at Right Tackle. Coach up Kelemete to replace Colledge the following year, plus look to upgrade the Center the following year too. Let the new line coach figure out if either Colledge or Sendlien is worth keeping after next year.

I would hope that Horton doesn’t get a HC job next year so they can retain him. The secondary needs more help in fundamentals, like tackling. Peterson needs more work in that area, can’t drop your head when trying to tackle. I would bench W. Gay and either play Toler or Bethel the rest of the year to see if either one of them can be the starting corner next year.

27. By George on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

The coach is not the problem…PERIOD. Injuries to the offensive line and running backs corp have taken a mediocre offense and turned it into no offense whatsoever. It doesn’t matter who is the quarterback.

On that cheerful note, why don’t we see if Philly would like to trade back for Kevin Kolb?

Unfortunately, the Cardinals have gone from an average NFL team and have crossed into COMPLETELY UNWATCHABLE!

28. By jesus on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Okay…..we need to do something different.
    Who are the back up tackles, bench the two we
    Have……. send a message. They may not do much
    Better but can’t do worse. Play calling sucks…..ready
    To move on from Miller…….. our offense has stunk it up
    Since he and Grimm (who should have already been fired)
    Took over the offense. …..i have been pulling for Skelton
    last couple years but yeah, i am ready to see what Lindly
    Can bring. But behind this O-line and Miller’s offense
    That will ruin any qb.

Defensive mistake can be fixed, Patrick Peterson only going to get better…… tough game

29. By john the draft guy on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

No it doesn’t have to be a death knell. But where is the turn around going to happen from?

This defense had moments of good and obviously have good players, but they were out muscled and dominated at times also. Our DBs, especially Peterson, need to learn how to tackle.

Hey Patrick, instead of setting goals of record ints and shutting guys down, how bout a goal where you just do your job. You know, tackle the guy in front of you. Peterson, by far, is the most over rated player in the NFL. He is a great punt returner, and everyone assumed he was a good corner. Teams go after him each week with success.

Between Gay, Peterson, and Fleming, our DBs really struggled to tackle.
    Dan Williams hasn’t developed into a dominant force in the middle like you would expect a 3rd year first round guy should be.

The good on defense, DWash continues to make plays and Campbell actually had such a dominant game that if we won, he would have been one of the players of the game.

The offense is offensive. There is no continuity or flow to this offense. To have these five olineman out there is a joke. Colledge was hand picked and has two years with us and seems clueless on how to pick up stunts. Other guys just watched guys split them and hit our rbs in the backfield and then they look at each other like who was suppose to get him. Even King, who is a good blocking TE missed blocks. This offense looks so poorly coached, there needs to be changes. It is one thing to get beat physically, but to keep making mental mistakes is unacceptable. Put college on the bench if he doesn’t know what he is suppose to do when Aldon Smith loops to the inside. Several times, he came free or had Colledge coming late and holding him. Horrible play.

Interesting to hear Dockett’s comments. Could he be making a case to save his coach’s job. When players start making statements like this, it sends a signal to me the coach is in trouble. As poorly as this team has played, It is obvious why. Whiz may need to make a change with OC and OLine. Too many mental mistakes. Like I said, physical mistakes happen, but these OLineman don’t know who they are to pick up.

30. By truths4all on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

OK, it must be even clear to the novice football fans that think the only important football players are the QB, receivers, and running backs that the Cards Defense is not nearly as good as they showed they might be early in the year when other teams had yet to see the Defense’s weaknesses and that prime factor that will dictate the entire Card’s season, the Offensive Line is entirely not NFL caliber, even if Levi Brown was still playing since he had proven he can’t play adequately at the NFL level.

Why do the Cards have a semi-pro level Offensive Line (including the center)? Neglect and bad personnel evaluation by Whiz, Grimm, and the front office. THAT is where the blame belongs. These offensive line players are just not NFL caliber. The number of sacks over the past few years prove their incompetence (take that you Sendlein fans who say he is good just as the stunter runs by him) and the impotence in basic run blacking confirms that as well.

Even the 49er’s radio broadcast team was laughing at the overall ineptness of the Cards Offensive Line while they still remember and respected Skelton for his 3 TD passes in the Cards win last season.

31. By D on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Forgot to add to my list, drop Heap this spring, pick up a TE in free agency, maybe a J. Cook since he wants out of there and needs a new start….

32. By rimrunner on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

These coaches have got to go they keep saying we have to get better, if you cant teach you cant get better. I believe the cardinals defnse is as good as the 49ers but they cant be on the field that long. Get rid of whisenhunt, grimm, an the OC, whisenhunt looked like he didnt know what to do, grimm cant teach a position ya we hav had a lot of injuries but the same misstakes every week know one is getng better on the offensive side of the ball and the OC cant figure out what can work until the middle of the fourth quarter. FOR GOD SAKES WILL SOMEONE PLEASE YELL AT SOME ONE wHEN TODD HALEY WAS HERE PEOPLE KNEW THEY BETTER GET IT RIGHT ON OFFENSE OR THEY WOULD GET A ROYAL BUTT CHEWING ON CAMERA.

33. By rimrunner on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

PUT RAY AS HEAD COACH BEFORE YOU LOOSE HIM HE CAN OBVIOUSLY TEACH AN GET PLAYERS MENTALLY RIGHT. THEN H CAN GET SOME OFFENSIVE MINDS IN THERE THAT KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING. IT SHOULDNT TAKE 3 AND A HALF QUARTERS TO FIGURE OUT YOU NEED TO SPREAD IT OUT SO YOU CAN MOVE THE BALL TO OPEN UP SOME RUNNING LANES

34. By Jsin on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I have not left a game early in almost 20 years. I Ieft at the start of the fourth quarter last night. This team is so hard to watch now. It is like ground hogs days …Over and over and over. No hope for the offense. To boot the Defense was playing bad last night as well. Not even playing well at home now. Just frustrating to watch such a poor product. At what point does someone get held accountable with this business?

35. By hotValleySun on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

Re: Whiz/FG

I was wondering why Whiz attempted a FG when down 24-0 on 4th down. Shouldn’t the team go for a touchdown in that situation.

Coach’s comments Darren posted for my question seem to answer a different question maybe?

36. By Anthony on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

3 touchdowns in 4 games. Sacked 33 times the last 5 games. Didn’t hear all of whiz’s post game comments, the part that I heard was him throwing the defense under the bus. Better take a look at your offense buddy. 1 first down in the 1st quarter, 2 in the 2nd until the last couple of minutes. 49ers coaching staff is smart enough to know they don’t have overwhelming talent on offense, so they utilize misdirection and play to their players strengths. Three step drops and quick passes. Skeltons strength is hurry up offense, our coaching staff is too stubborn to go to that until we are down by 24 points. Time for an overhaul of the offensive coaching staff. Since Warner and hailey have moved on we have had one of the worst offenses in the league. Talent evaluation has been poor, Skelton named the starter over Kolb, Kolb has played better this year. Whiz named leinhart the starter over Warner twice. Drafted the bust know as beanie, have not drafted a quality oliner yet. In fact a true impact player on offense has not been drafted since Fitzgerald. Look it up. I don’t want to hear about injuries every team has them. This team is below average when healthy with no depth. The blame for that goes to the head coach and general manager. Time for a change.

37. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

hotValley —

RE: Third-quarter FG

You are right. That answer was about the punt instead of going for it. I don’t think he was asked specifically about the FG he did try.

38. By Chris on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Just hilarious that the FO really thought the solution to this historically awful OL was to re-sign Levi and devote all their energy to adding one of the worst guards in football.

Combine that with one of the worst QB rotations in the league, and is anyone really surprised by the results? Since Warner left, we’ve had one of the worst offenses in the NFL, and the results continue to get worse.

The only positive of all these embarrassing performances is that we’re finally to the point where Whiz will be forced to fire his ol pal Russ, and hopefully there will be more of a plan to fix the OL than adding an Adam Snyder caliber player. Not holding my breath though…

39. By Daniel on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Ok, now we can start looking at the 2013 Draft. What offensive lineman are we going to draft? I say the first 3 picks need to be O-lineman.

40. By Kevin S on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Two different kinds of blame being thrown around. One (the blame on the front office for not addressing critical needs over a period of years, through the draft or otherwise) is legitimate. Fans who think this team is loaded with talent are kidding themselves. We have a few elite players (e.g., Fitz and a couple on defense), some average players, and we are below average at many positions, including the most critical one.

Blaming Whiz for not getting it done on game day given the available players, I don’t get. We are missing not just our top RB but our top 2 (notwithstanding that cardsalltheway thinks that Powell is our best RB). We are playing with a backup QB (OK, I know Skelton theoretically “won” the job at the start of the year, but regardless of what one believes about his potential, he is not yet an NFL-caliber starting QB). We are playing with an obviously overmatched O-line also in part because of injuries. I see posters saying we should bench the tackles and put in the next ones, whoever they are… why, so we can do even worse and risk our QB’s health on every play, instead of every other play? One of those tackles is a rookie who is learning the position on the job (and was not expected to be put in this position). Imagine you were the coach of your little kid’s Pop Warner team. You put your best players out there but lose every game by 20 points because they simply aren’t that good. Would you instead put your 2nd-best players out there and lose by 50? Sometimes you don’t have a better alternative.

We have posters complaining that we “gave up” on the run after only 8 carries. Well, 6 of those carries were for 0 or negative yards (and one of the only 2 positive carries was on a meaningless 3rd and 19 as time was running out in the 1st half, so really, out of 7 meaningful carries, we had gained nothing on 4 carries and gone backwards on 3 others). If not for the 49ers giving up 11 meaningless yards on that 3rd and 19 play at the end of the 1st half, we would’ve had negative rushing yards. We opened the 2nd half down 17-0 and after two completions and a first down, tried to run again… 0 yards. At that point what choice did we have? (A few minutes later it was 24-0 with only a quarter and a half left, so running was pretty much out of the question.)

I get that some posters think Powell should’ve been out there, but I don’t think he would’ve done much better. On the plays where we lost yardage, the 49ers met us in the backfield. Wouldn’t have mattered if it was Powell or LSH, those plays were going nowhere.

I keep coming back to the fact that the Vegas O/U for wins on this team fluctuated between 6 1/2 and 7. It’s great that fans get excited about their team and that some feel we have the talent to be 12-4 or 11-5 or whatever, but objectively that simply isn’t the case. Unfortunately it now feels like we’re in free fall after starting out 4-0. If instead we had lost to the Patriots (as most people expected) and, say, the Eagles (who look bad now but at the start of the season were a trendy Super Bowl pick, and who were favored to beat us) and been 1-2, no one would’ve been surprised. Then if we won three of the next five (say, by beating, MIA, BUF and MIN), we’d be 4-4 just like we are now but it would feel much different. Starting out 4-0 led to delusions of grandeur. And yes, they were delusions. Three of those wins were by a hair.

41. By Daniel on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I just don’t understand how Whiz and Grimm can spend all that time in Pittsburgh and NOT learn the necessity of a strong offensive line. You can’t go this long in drafting O-lineman and expect to have a competent offense.

42. By hotValleySun on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Despite the current state of affairs, my opinion (for what it’s worth) Whiz should be the head coach for 2013.

Right now we are playing very bad football but overall since Whiz took over we have been OK. What are the cards before Whiz?

43. By Mike on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Let’s be real about this team….our O-Line sucks, our running game is horrible, and we have one stand out receiver in Fitzgerald!!! This is not the chemistry for a winning season, come on Cards owners open eyes and look. The 49ers have pretty much given the blue print of how to build a team, and they did it right. They drafted good O-Line players, they have an unbelievable defense, their running game is good, they have a pretty good QB, they went out and got some veteran wide outs to help in Manningham and Moss, and the last piece of the puzzle was the glue, Jim Harbaugh. The Cardinals have not and will not do any of those…….WHY????? This team is slowly going to sink and the fans are slowly going to not show up to games any longer.
    We have 2 good QB’s that with a good O-Line, some better running backs ( Stephen Jackson, DeAngelo Williams, or even Jackie Battle who was the leagues 5th highest rusher last year is sitting the bench in San Diego ) and some veteran wide outs we could do some damage this season. I know it is pretty far fetched for the Cardinals but you have a bunch of WO’s at home looking for jobs and to side them to small deals now to see what they could produce for the next couple of weeks would not be a bad idea… you have Burress, Johnson, and Owens, all who are in dire need of work and 2 which have been on Super Bowl Championship team. I understand a lot of drama is there but you have to give them a clean slate to start over and this could be that chance for them. Our running game…..let’s start from the beginning…..GET RID OF WELLS!!!! He is useless because of his injuries and he was noted for that coming out of Ohio State but yet we got him. Williams, good back but they have to use him right. He is not an up the gut back he is a get to the outside type of back and that is good if you use him right. We need a heavy hitter back like a Jackson or a Battle, those guys are the ones you need for those straight up the middle plays, not Williams.
    In closing, this team has the potential to do good things this year, if management decides to spend money on some good quality players. If not…..remember when the Browns and Saints fans use to wear brown bags on their faces and the teams attendances fell…..that is what will happen here! So Bidwell’s..spend some money to get Arizona some players or this will happen!!!!

44. By horned frog on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

This all started when Kolb went down. lol. Now he’ll come back late in the season, play adequate and steal millions more from the organization cause they’ll actually think he’s the answer too. Tell me you cant see this happening?!

45. By Jesse Robles on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Who can slow down Miller/Whiz High Power, High Scoring Offense? This offense should be illegal for how easy they make this look.

Can the Defense play Offense and Defense?

If the Cardinals don’t score on D or Special Teams, they are pretty much not going to score, that is sad.

46. By Kevin S on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy —

At the game last night, all I could think of was Peterson’s statement in the offseason that the top 2 CB’s in the NFL were Revis and himself. He’s got a ways to go.

Jsin —

I left early for the first time ever as well (although I haven’t been in AZ as long as you), midway through the 4th. Part of that was having my 10-year-old son with me and wanting him to get home in time to get up for school, but that was also an excuse for me not to watch the train wreck any more.

47. By Matt in Philly on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

This is what happens when you get “cute” with the draft. The cardinals had an opportunity to take a left tackle in Riley Reiff, or a franchise guard in DeCastro — both points of need, and positions darn near impossible to fill adequately — and they took Michael Floyd, a guy who arguably wasn’t even the best receiver available (see Kendall Wright). Now we are really in a hole. Teams are rushing three or four on us, and getting pressure on the QB. We have one good lineman out of five (Colledge, Snyder, and Batiste have peaked, and they are not good; Massie may develop). How do they expect to shore up that line before the dominance window of this team closes? It’s not possible. Huge mistakes by the front office, and arguably fireable offenses.

48. By G. Witt on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

What a dissapointment, Skelton isn’t the ans. At least Kolb ran the offence and put points on the board. Even Manning would have problems behind this OL. This team needs LOTS OF HELP. Starting with coaching!!!!!!!!
    Other teams have injuries and have back ups that step right in and do a very good job. What happened to us?????????? I’ve been a Cardinal Fan since they moved here in 1988. I’m beginning to be embarrased.

49. By jocards on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

@ Matt in Philly – I understand what you are saying and you make some good points…..I only take issue with the term “dominance window”. This organization for as far back as I can remember and that stretches back to STL has never had a dominance window….Even during the almost unbelievable SB run of 2008 they were only 9-7. I know the term was not really significant to your post and like I said you make a valid point about the draft strategy.

50. By Cardinal's Chick on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

@D

Omoregie Uzzi…great call! I would love to see that young man be a Cardinal! I’ve known him through-out high school and have watched him at Tech. He is a wonderful young man and an impressive football player. I was Pres of TD Club. My son played h.s. football with Uzzi. As I said, I would love to see him wear Cardinal red. But will happily watch him where ever he goes.

51. By rdixon50 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Heads must roll after this year – the braintrust identified above needs to be on the list – Graves and Keim. I give Whiz another shot, but he’s got to fire Grimm or he needs to be fired as well. And Miller is a joke of an OC – get rid of him too.

52. By bluepitt on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Funny, how I see posts like “the D now sucks”, “The D is exposed” and its the O line!!! hahaha funny how the first Skelton sack came with 1:11 to go in the 2nd quarter that is almost 2 Quarters with out a sack! (but Alex Smith had 2 sacks by the half) not one Skelton sack in the 3rd Quarter, and 3 sacks in the 4th when the 9ers knew we had to pass!!!
    So in short, up to the 4th quarter Skelton only had one sack put on him?
    If you cant see that all of Skeltons passes are 3-4 feet to high making a great potential gain in to a jump ball, you are blind. I cant see us getting a W with Skelton at the helm? I do think we would have made some plays with better passing. You cant expect a D to thrive, when every time your O is on the field they go 3 and out.
    A.Smith was sacked 4 times as was Skelton. Skelton threw 52 times??
    52!!!!!! Smith yup 19…that says it all!

53. By Chuck 1 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

As much as I hate to write it, FANS WHO RENEW THEIR SEASON TICKETS FOR 2013 ARE CHUMPS UNLESS THERE IS A TOTAL HOUSE CLEANING BY BILL AND MICHAEL BIDWILL.

That means Graves, Keim, Whiz, Grimm, Miller AND YES, Horton have to be FIRED.

If you renew, it means that you are satisfied with the incompetence of the FO and coaching staff.

54. By Michael D. Stofko on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

The Niners took 2 OL with their two number one picks a couple years ago. Look at the dividends that has paid. Excellent blocking for both their run and pass games. I realize the Cards have had injuries along the OL, but I’ve never seen anyone play as pathetically as D’A Batiste. He is the proverbial swinging gate. As Gruden commented last night, “It isn’t fair to John Skelton”. I hope the Cards learn a major lesson from this. You can’t build an offense without a foundation—i.e., a strong, confident OL. Thinking of all the good OL-men they passed up with their first pick last year,taking Michael Floyd instead, still leaves me shaking my head.

55. By rimrunner on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

It doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure out why dont we start out in the spread.Skelton looks real good in the spread an even that horrible oline look descent. Wear the defense out then run it. I believe skelton ca still b the quarterback bt there is a reason shy he is better in the fourth quarter than in the firs two quarters because you have to spread things out because you ae always behind. TO QOUTE MONDAY NIGHT FOOTDAY PREGAME SHOW C’MON MAN.

56. By jocards on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

@ bluepitt – Come on, I know you are well aware that the official number of sacks yielded doesn’t come close to telling the whole story about the pass protection. This offense is almost completely unable to get the ball downfield and a big reason for that is the QB does not have time to allow receivers to get open on deeper routes…..the complete lack of any semblance of a running game multiplies the problem and a lot of that (not all but a lot ) goes back to the OL too. Scheme can only compensate to a point. With that said I agree that Skelton is a very, very inaccurate passer….but his accuracy isn’t likely to improve at all given the lack of time to set up, find a receiver and throw. I really do not see Skelton as anything more than a serviceable backup long term; he just is not accurate enough. This is not looking good.

57. By louis on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I said along time ago we suck. mr. bidwill and son have a circus football team i won/t be surprise they move from city to city to find a home.

58. By Voice of Reason on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

This is simple. Either Miller and Grimm need to be fired, or Whiz and Graves need to go. It’s also clear Skelton is not the answer at QB. Not only does he make terrible reads and hold the ball too long (when given time), but he constantly throws high or leads his target into the defender…. thus getting them killed. See Early Doucet.

59. By john the draft guy on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Blueprint,
    Yes, I have said it a million times, we dont have a QB.
    Skelton nor Kolb are the answers. Skelton missing Larry for a wide open TD at the end of the game is unexcusable. Yes it was meaningless but it shows Skelton’s inability to be accurate..

But the OLine is making so many mental mistakes, it just has to be pointed out. You learn this in Jr High that if the DE goes outside and the OLB loops in, the guard passes off the DE and picks up the OLB. Cant tell you how many times our two guards missed this. Watch the screen play to Doucet, when he runs for a first down. Look at the lineman and tell me if any of them get a block. (the answer is no)

But for the defense. Yesterday, I said the defense needed to call on its inner 2000 raven, meaning in order to overcome the lack of offense, they had to shut down SF. Watching Peterson put his head down and dive at crabtree’s ankles time after time made me sick. Gay wasn’t any better.
    18/19 for Smith is a joke. Ctabtree owned Peterson. Crabtree looked like a hall of famer while Peterson looked like a 7th round rookie. That was a horrible performance by Peterson. The niners gashed us early running and, The D had no turn overs.

These are all things dominant defenses do (see Chicago Bears scoring defense). So, we are a good defense. I believe that. I think Campbell played his best game of the year. DWash is becoming a great ILB. But knowing what was on the line, knowing how bad this offense is, it was just disappointing our defense couldnt match SF’s defense.

60. By iammattyoung on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

@Jocards. Thanks. That was a typo. I meant “dominance window” to refer to the defense.

61. By Chuck 1 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

By truths4all on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

…”Neglect and bad personnel evaluation by Whiz, Grimm, and the front office. THAT is where the blame belongs.”…

=====================================
    truths4all, you are spot on!!!

BAD PERSONNEL EVALUATION: See D. Williams, Peterson, Snyder, Heap, Gay, Skelton and it goes on and on and …………..
    You identified the culprits. GRAVES AND KEIM (with recommendations from WHIZ)
    And, for those drinking the Kool Aid, don’t expect any different personnel decisions in the future.

62. By Kevin S on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Jocards — good point. People forget that even in the Warner years, our best seasons were 9-7 and 10-6. And yet they think this team is going to be 12-4???

63. By Kevin S on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Mike —

Re: “Veteran wideouts who could do some damage…” — I don’t think our problem is our receiving corps.

64. By "Whiz n Punt-goodbye" on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

We better fire Whiz on bye week and promote Horton or he will bail on this sinking ship. I was a toal Skelton backer until he actually started and it is clear he is not a NFL starting QB. Might as well go with the rookie as I find it hard to believe that Kolb will return with the injury he had. I’m sure it is much worse that Whiz n Punt let’s on, just like Beanies injury (both years) and Heap. Don’t think there is any chance of fixing it in the next 2 years unless we trade Fitz. Since he is just a decoy at this point I am betting Fitz would take a trade as this team is a complete fraud.

65. By Grnfld on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

The O-line did a fair job, and everyone played and fought until the end. We do not have a QB, period. None of those on the roster have what it takes. You see the frustration in the offense after every poor pass, reguardless of who we had back there. We need to hunt and find a leader for that postion that can utilize the tools we have.

66. By Faux Darren on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Graves and Grimm need to go. I really do like Whiz but I think its time for a change. I would not be mad if Larry asked for and received a trade. I feel bad for the guy.

67. By mike on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

DeAngelo Williams, Steven Jackson? Kurt Warner?! Are you kidding me? The Niners have 3 1st rd. picks on their offensive line, Staley, Iupati and Davis. Even with a healthy Levi Brown we would be over matched. How may times do we have to watch Justin Smith or Jared Allen run untouched between Batiste and Colledge. And Aldon Smith is unstoppable. When will we have a Center or a RG that can run block, hopefully before we waste a pick on a running back.

68. By gw on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

How do you get blownout on national tv at home against your fierce rival AND ONLY SCORE 3 POINTS. It’s time for a change like i said before whiz get a pass for going to the SB with denny green team, a HOF QB and a real OC.Now we know why the steelers pass on whiz for their hc job no coach can have a 6 game losing streak 2 years in a row and keep his job .I see the cards winning 1 more game against the rams ,aybe 2 if the 49er’s sit their starters on the last game of the season.The cards may have to trade fizt. this kid is wasteing his talents in the dessert 12 different qb he must be frustrated but i must say he’s a real pro he reminds me of another card pro who wasted his talents before the cards decided to let him go to a winning team AENEAS WILLIAMS.

69. By Fernando on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

last nights game was just flat out terrible. The O line has been needing to be addressed for years still hasn’t and now maybe the front office will see why it needs to be. What was going on with the tackling can anyone not wrap up and drive their feet? evidently not everyone wants to try and throw their shoulders into people hoping to knock them on their a**. lack of a running game is not going to open up the pass flat out terrible. I have been a Die hard cardinals fan all my life always have been always will be win lose or draw but you get to point as a fan where you just cannot watch anymore of this. We started off great and fell off the rest of the season does not look good for us I dont know about the rest of but I’m tired of saying always next year.

70. By rjrjdaniel on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Need offensive line…need offensive line…need offensive line coach fired and general manager for not drafting better offensive line players. All good football players know that without an offensive line…there is no offense. Cardinals offensive line plays like high school players not in the conference hunt. Fire the GM and the offensive line coach.

71. By Sarah on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

After reading this thread at some point one has to declare that people have lost it mentally. Cards were deficient in every area of football (not Dockett and Washington), move on and make major player changes during the bye if necessary. Firing Whiz etc is sheer madness, his relying on the defence and eating the clock with methodical movement failed in the first half, we played better in the second but the Niners were a much better team on Oct 29, let’s see if we can get back to winning.

Enough therapy for those above, Green Bay awaits.

72. By scubasteve12 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

sarah you are the only one that has lost it mentally. and cardsalltheway is in denial that his beloved skelton stinks.

73. By clssylssy on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Did you whiners miss the fact that 67% of our team has sustained injuries this season (according to Jon Gruden) and we had ANOTHER lineman missing last night. With so many of our starters out, players have had to be redistributed to play positions they don’t normally play which means a lack of consistency when there is a new group on the field each week. It’s patchwork and trying to cover holes in areas there was strength in the beginning. It’s not Coach Whisenhunts fault, he is a great coach, respected by his players who know better than any of our fan “experts” his value. We are still at .500, second in the West and there are other teams who would gladly have our record. Try watching some of the other teams…NOBODY is playing consistently, you see dropped balls, poor passes, blown coverage. The Falcons have done unusually good this year but they’ve had their shaky moments. The 9ers played like the 9ers–dirty and cheap and I would rather take a loss by our team who I respect although a win would have been special. Most of the teams in the league are starting to bend under the weight of the injury phenomenon so it’s really as much of an endurance thing as it is skill. The Packers O-line is almost as bad as ours and if we can put pressure on Rogers our defense just might give us the edge to win this next one…even the Packers aren’t true to form this year. Go Cards, Stop the Pack!

74. By JAKE PLUMMER on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

THIS SO CALLED O IS ALMOST WORSE THAN OURS IN 99-00 WHEN WE DIDNT SCORE A 1ST QT TD IN LIKE WEEK 9 AGAINST THE SAINST LOL

75. By philly cards on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

2010 we gave whiz that extention and ended up 5-11.
    destroyed was the most talented team we ever assembled atleast in cap era.

To lose haley warner boldin and half the defense was the fatal blow.

You can’t depend on LSH as a dot the I runner. There has to be someone else for the defense to think about.

Gay is terrible.why would we end up trading a young corner like jefferson is nuts.

Todd heap is no longer worth it to me.no availabilty.waste of roster spot.

Skelton has not improved at all since his jr yr in college.17 picks in 12 months

Can’t blame graves or keim in this. check their pay figures.
    this is whizs vision.he walked in alone that day with derrek anderson.and he’s gone from 8 games over .500 to one under since his “raise”

And I thought wiz had 2 yrs in addition to this one?

76. By Cert 33 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Five straight poorly played games. The earlier post that predicted 7-9 may be optimistic. Skelton had a couple of good games last season but he has not looked good at all this year. On an ealier post this year, I wrote that Skelton had a QB style that reminded me a bit of Jim Plunkett. This season, he looks more like Jamarcus Russell (and is quickly heading toward the same, very short career as Jamarcus). Bring on Lindley.

77. By KDubADub1324 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Hey wait! Wasn’t Skelton suppose to be the Man for this team? Wasn’t he suppose to be the better QB between he and Kolb? And now people are actually missing Kolb? Remember when everyone was on Skelton’s jock because he “won” games, and some were calling him “the poor man’s Big Ben” saying he has all this potential? LOL LOL LOL LOL, yeah how’s that working out? My my have things changed…..there’s a whole lot more I can say about this team right now, but I’d figure I get this one out. LOL

78. By Chuck 1 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

This is a keeper for later in the season.

By clssylssy,

…”We are still at .500, second in the West and there are other teams who would gladly have our record.”…

Let’s check which teams would want our record at the end of the season.

79. By Evan on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

That’s right, look on the bright side:
    the Cardinals don’t have Alabama or
    Oregon on the schedule this year…

2. Oct 30, 2012: Around the NFC West: Where divisions sits |