Trade winds blow

Posted by Darren Urban on October 30, 2012 – 4:58 pm

Because of that storm called Sandy, the NFL’s trading deadline was moved back to Thursday this week. That means a couple of extra days of the rumor mill for a time that already picked up some steam because it is a couple of weeks later this year than in year’s past.

Today, we know:

– The Rams’ Steven Jackson, oft talked about, is staying put.

– Ravens T Bryant McKinnie, who is no longer playing because he was supplanted by a rookie, could be had. Peter King wrote the Cardinals “I hear have some interest in him.” What that means is anyone’ guess. Even King says McKinnie would just be a band-aid, and what exactly would you give up for a band-aid?

Coach Ken Whisenhunt was asked about the trade deadline today. “Well, we’re looking,” Whisenhunt said, and that’s really standard operating procedure for any team. “We’re always looking for ways to help this team. We always have been, so if there’s something available, we’ve got until Thursday. If we had an opportunity to get somebody we think can help us, we certainly would try to do that.”

I’ve said a few times, on Twitter and in response to blog comments, I’m not sure any trade will happen. Take McKinnie for instance. Is he an upgrade? You’d think so. He was also beaten out by a rookie. He’s had all kinds of off-field issues. The Vikings let him walk away rather than deal with him anymore. If he were a free agent, a band-aid makes sense. To give up a draft pick, even a later one, to me takes some consideration, especially if he is just a band-aid that won’t be around in the future.

If there was a deal, I can’t see it being for anything but an offensive lineman. Just my opinion.

We’ll see how this plays out.

– Whiz said running back Beanie Wells “is not there yet” but is on track to return to practice next week — the soonest he can off the IR-return list — and I would assume that means right now it looks encouraging for Wells to play in his first chance to come back, which is the Nov. 25 home game against the Rams. What will be something to watch is if Beanie’s whole body is right after this time off. Not just the torn ligament in the toe but also his knee, which still looked like it left him out of sorts earlier in the season.

– There are many wondering why Whiz doesn’t play rookie QB Ryan Lindley, and he isn’t, saying John Skelton is his starter. I get questions of why that is, and I’m not going to argue that Skelton isn’t exactly playing stellar right now. But there are a lot of issues that go into the offensive problems, and QB isn’t the only one. The Cardinals and Whisenhunt have been through the rookie thing before, and it usually isn’t pretty.

I’d guess Lindley will take some snaps in a game this season. I don’t expect it to be in a start, and I’m not even saying it will be soon. If a game gets out of hand, maybe we see him. Skelton has been through some things by now, though, and Lindley hasn’t, and while I’m sure I will get “Yeah, but Skelton can’t do it anyway and we might as well get Lindley experience,” well, that’s a fine line to walk as a team and as a coach.

Tags: , , , , , ,

88 Responses to “Trade winds blow”

1. By Mr. Ramirez on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Have the Cardinals been in trade talks with anyone besides the Ravens?

2. By kardnullfan on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Don’t know how any QB can be evaluated while playing behind our OL. Give Kolb or Skelton the 49er line and running game and they both could look like quality NFL quarterbacks. Putting a rookie in the line of fire might be coaching malpractice.

3. By Corgon on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I’ve never ever and i still don’t understand the Lindley pick.
    If Kolb or Skelton would be the real deal, then why?
    If neither of them, then why? On the next draft we have to go after a QB in some high round.
    So he is a 3rd string now and probably he’ll be a 3rd strimg next year (hopefully nobody get hurt seriously this season). I’m sure the people there know better than me, but i just don’t get it why we used a pick for a 3rd stringer.

4. By Gilbert on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Not a time to panic yet! The post season may still be within reach if the message is clear. After yesturdays embarrassing perfomance I’d say they come out swinging against Green Bay My guess the team will settle down and began to play to their capacity. I’m reminded on how the cowboys fans blame it all on Romo. But like the Cards there’s other issues that affect how the team is playing Starts with the o line then although injuries do take their toll on any team. I would say let’s be patient see how the next couple of weeks develop.

5. By martin leyva on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Without an offensive-line no QB will do good!! Even if we had Aaron Rodgers we would be seeing the same results!!we would be saying its our QB. We need some new coaches on the offense. Like in Grimm just because he is a Hall-of-famer dose not mean he can be a great O-line coach, we all see it now with 35+ sacks in only half a season Wow and our playing calling coach Mike Miller as-well!!!still love Wiz ,still should be our head coach! but i hope they make Hornet our head-coach one day feeling bad for him now. our D-fence is very much still great, but with our offense is playing so bad they are always on the field getting tiered that’s just what happened yesterday missing tackles !

6. By Procen on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren, is Tannehill a rookie QB? I think we should try Lindley nothing is happening anyway beside when Kurt took over for Trent Green he is just a backup and look what happened they didn’t know he was a gold mine.

7. By haszafewcity on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

darren, pardon me while i ramble. are we pinning all our hopes on beanie to restore the running game? beanie is talented and physical but beanie doesn’t play offensive line. i don’t see how beanie is going to make a bit of difference in the running game. whiz doesn’t want to put lindley behind center anymore then whiz wants to put himself behind center.o sense in truamatizing another rookie(see bob massie). skelton is being set up for failure by the cards coaching staff and abused by oppossing defenses and will make a very convienent offseason scapegoat for the miserable failings of the o-line and coaching staff.

8. By Greg L on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Too many whiners on this team and not enough players. This not a mentally tough team ; I don’t care what anyone says. You don’t throw up on yourself time after time on national T.V. Then they wonder why they’re not tooken seriously.

9. By Derrick Haskan on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Start Linley Skelton sucks

10. By Tom Bush on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Without o line help we all know the season is over and thanks for letting us know that basically in terms of wins the season is over

11. By Fatdog on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Should they start to think about trading Fitz.if they could add a starting left tackle like Jake Long and a first round pick they owe Fitz better than this.

12. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Ramirez —

RE: Trade talks

No one said they have been in trade talks with anyone. I don’t know.

13. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Procen —

RE: Tannehill

Tannehill is a rookie. So is Luck, RGIII and Wilson. The first three were top 10 picks. Wilson wasn’t because of his size, although the Seahawks seem to have made the right call. Lindley wasn’t considered of that caliber coming out. Could he surprise? Sure. Odds are against it, and certainly against it as a rookie.

14. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Greg L —

RE: Whiners

Name me one guy who has been a “whiner.”

15. By cdj on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Ive always wondered how you find the really old articles you provide links to. do you have them saved on files or something or do you physically go back on the site and find them?

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

cdj —

RE: Old articles

The site has a very good search engine. But you can look for articles and blogs by month too, and I often remember the month and year I wrote a particular article or blog post. It’s a blessing and a curse.

17. By john the draft guy on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Every draft pick needs to be kept.

If I was a team that felt I was one player away (ie- the Lions who needed a RB last year due to injuries) to get to the playoffs, then you may give up something next year for that shot this year.

But, if you are honest with yourself, this is not a playoff team and there are too many holes . Mckinnie isn’t going to solve the other 4 guys and the QB.

Plus, I have a feeling that the Packers are going to keep Rodgers. :)

As for people wanting to trade Fitz. Larry chose to stay here in AZ when he had an opportunity to look elsewhere. If a guy like Fitz is willing to make that kind of commitment to your team, I think you owe it to him to make a commitment to him.

Of course, you should get him a QB and an OLine too.

18. By Jason Marcus on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I wonder why Wi Po or Alfonso didn’t really get the ball those guys looked good in pre, I guess by that time it was all about gunning the ball down field, I always feel like Skelton gets into rhythm only when we are down, It must be hard getting guys in the locker rooms confidence after a few blown games like this, oh well bring on the cheese balls. We are having a roller coaster ride season everyone get aboard woooooooooooooooooo yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

19. By mike hadzinski on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

DARREN

I ASK AGAIN WHY DID FITZ HAVE TO HAVE MIKE FLOYD WHEN WE NEEDED O-LINE AND DECASTRO WAS THERE WHO IS AUTO UPGRADE OF WHAT WE HAVE FITZ NEEDS TO MAN UP AND CATCH HEAT IF YOU HAVE 150 MILL IN TWO POSITONS 1 HAS TO SUFFER AND THAT BEING THE O-LINE SHAME REALLY

GTS TIME FOR ME BEST IN THE WORLD……

20. By suspence716 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren- Do you honestly think the cardinals will make any moves? They didn’t do anything last year, had a chance to get chris williams and didn’t do jack now he’s with the rams. Fire Grimm, put Whiz on the hot seat and for god sake make some moves!!!

21. By Cert 33 on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I’ve seen every game Lindley played at San Diego State. He enjoyed a very productive college career there and absolutely shreded a very talented Navy defense in the 2010. He certainly played at a higher level and against way better competition (BYU, TCU, Boise St., etc…) than Skelton ever saw at Fordham. He was a starter all 4 years and I don’t think he missed a game (Durable). Speaking of replacing starters, you all know we are going to lose Ray Horton to a head coaching job to another team this off-season. We could circumvent that by firing Whiz and naming Horton head coach of the Cards and I think it would be a sound move. Whiz just coached the pivotal and most important game of the 2012 season Mon. night and couldn’t even be bothered to come up with anything but the same old tired game plan that has been a failure since the Miami game. He couldn’t even be bothered to try to innovate or try some “smoke & mirrors” for a game of that magnitude. He just “mailed” it in and we were humiliated on national television. We already could have had Jeff Fisher last season and I would hate to see a chance at Horton slip away.

22. By Debbie K on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I am a long time, die-hard Cardinals fan and feel about as frustrated as the rest of Cardinals Nation! The team is just not clicking on so many levels right now. We finally got Skelton back – he is the one the coaches chose to lead this team – and the offense goes flat ? Then there’s the O Line- part of Skeltons problem – but even so, some of his throws seem way off the mark. The O Line is bad- and needs help, and we desperately need a running back. The D was the talk of the NFL in the first few weeks- they just need to get back to that level. I think the Cardinals organization needs to take advantage of the extended trade deadline and at least try to improve on what we have! We have the BEST WR in Fitz and need to make a run at the NFC West. What do you think the Cardinals need to do to get back on track?

23. By Marcelo on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I just can`t read that…. a year or two ago, there were fans supporting the unknown rookie skelton to go to the field over a couple of bad QBs, and now you want them out for another Rookie one?…. the stats show that our O-line hasn’t been improved since a long damn time and how can you be year after year wanting a different QB…. Kolb is a nice one, I gotta bend on him…. give him time and a decent o-line, he can give us Ws…..

He`s hurt once again? THAT’S CLEAR, you simple can`t mark more than 10 running yards in a game…. the offensive line creates nothing

we have two QB`s that are better than most in NFL, we just need an OL and lots of games to get them all into that…. so, maybe around 2015, 2016 we may have a decent team, until there, let’s make it up piece by piece….

Be patient, and get a new OC.

24. By Credit Card on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

As for the trade winds — I agree personnel dumped by other teams isn’t fixing anything. In fact you’re just paying dearly and giving up future draft picks.

As for the QB position. I think the cards have three plausible options:
    1. Put Russ Grimm in as QB, let him have a 1st hand knowledge regarding his poorly coached the offensive line.
    2.Usaine Bolt. Only person I know who has ample speed to avoid the Card pathetic offensive line
    3. Tim Tebow. A line backer body with athletism. Can’t throw or read defenses, but the Cards need someone who can scramble, buy time, rush, pass on occassion, and take repeated hits without going to the ER.

25. By Mikel on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

ok, heres what i would do: Fire GM Rod Graves, promote S. Keim, release TE Todd Heap, release T Danthony Batiste, offer 6th rd pick to ravens for T B.Mckinney, start W.Powell till beanie gets back. Next years draft:adress offensive line finally!! and draft a RB that has no injury concerns! Maybe draft another QB like 4th or 5th rd.

26. By AndyStandsUp on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I would personally see a trade as an act that the team is folding in the season, as strange as that sounds.
    Just don’t see anyone that could make that much difference as opposed to management appeasing the public and doing a “CYA”.

27. By Mikel on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I know no one would ever believe me but if i would have been GM i wanted to pick McCoy instead of beanie, i wanted to pick n. bowman, i would.have adressed the OLine…and thats with No freakin scouting just by following college football!! Clearly Graves should be fired!! Even if we lose all remaining games ill still Love the Cardinals!!! But this is just my opinion

28. By BigBobDiesel on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Greg L. is an idiot.

29. By Stephen on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

The playing and the play calling in the last 3 games has been PATHETIC. Injuries aside, the inability for a mediocre QB to get long balls to our TEs and WRs in the absence of any type of running game is inexcusable.

Please tell me that the locker room hasn’t already given up the hopes of a winning season this year. I don’t want our squad to be embarrassed to this level EVERY WEEK for the remainder of the season.

30. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Nothing to add except Credit Card above was pretty darn funny. lol

31. By Mike on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I get in season trades are rare and draft picks for bandaids is bad. But Darren, I’m concerned about 2013. I’m concerned camp will be another uninspiring Kolb v. Skelton battle. I’m concerned there will be too much celebration about the return of Levi Brown and too many articles about Bobby Massie’s maturity under fire. I’m also concerned that I am going to hear more than once that either Wells, Williams or both – aren’t quite there yet. Darren, I’m concerned that nothing is going to change…tell me there have to be changes.

32. By Mikel on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Oh and obviously start KOLB and try to keep him upright

33. By pinkfloyd on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

darren, i saw Michael Floyd was the starting 3rd WR and was wondering if Michael might have been promoted to 3rd WR over Early Doucet or if he was the 3rd WR on that particular formation? Thanks.

34. By Mr Robles on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Cheers to Greg L for being an IDIOT! Yay

35. By Patrick on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

You let a premier receiver go for nothing, pay a gazillion bucks for an unproven QB oh yea and trade a pro bowl player too. The Cardinals have been in Arizona for years and every season the same thing, “get excited, let down and wait until next year”. Lets face it you guys suck. You have no pride in yourselves. The offensive line has always been a joke for this team. That has not changed.
    I moved to Idaho earlier this year and fight like hell to see you guys play or even hear you on radio. If you would fight like I do to see you, then you would win every game.

Stop being pansies , Get some Pride, Kick some ass, Do something to make your fans proud! If you can’t do that put the cheerleader at midfield for 3 hours, now that would be something to see.

36. By Dre on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

We should of gotten Todd Haley when we had the chance great teacher and motivator and great play caller. Don’t believe me see the stats as a play caller not hc

37. By al beckett on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

How could a quality nfl coach go into the season,with levi brown and bridges your starting tackles, bridges has never b een a starting anywhere he has been, and the best you can do for backups are the 2 guys we have starting.If i’m sitting nthose draft meetings and thats the plan, how inthe world does whisenhunt and russ grimm,agree we can win with that plan, lets draft Floyd no 1.that cannot
    be possible. this whole mess smells like the mgt of this franchise, saying to whiz you can have 20 mill for kolb or spend that much on the rest of the team,but you can’t have both. it just doesn’t make sense.Any thoughts Darren, you must know what the truth is,if it isn’t something like this then whoever put this roster on the field has to go for incompetence

38. By cardsalltheway on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

I like the NFL.com article about Bryant McKinnie better the SI article.

It begins to tell about his trouble or links to…”Just keep him clear of any gentlemen haunts of the night.” Or, “Bryant McKinnie is sued over $375K in strip-club bills”

I don’t think Mr. McKinnie would pass Ken W.’s smell, I mean taste, I mean moral test.

To be fair, and you know I am, Mr. KcKinnie denies the allegation even though it sounds true with specified details?…”Bryant McKinnie says his latest financial entanglement is pure fiction.”

The 6’6″ 300 pound Nate Potter is riding the sliver bench, has he been given a chance or is he really the worst LT in the NFL on the worst OL team in the NFL? Don’t suppose Mr. Potter could get some playing time against Green Bay now do you? Why can’t we the fans see just how bad he is, you know for entertainment purposes since we like laughing just like the other guy while we all individually jump on the worst OL in the NFL bandwagon week after week after week.

39. By dennis on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

The Cards should give Alfonso Smith a chance to start at running back this week. @ 6′ 1′ 208 lbs. he is bigger than LSH and Powell. What have we got to lose by trying him….nothing.

40. By Jason Marcus on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Can we trade for a whole new team?

41. By Jason Marcus on Oct 30, 2012 | Reply

Just kidding ,yeah right why did we go after Floyd when we had huge gaping wholes in the line and no real solid options c’mon Warner wanted to take pay cuts to keep other pieces around that’s a real team guy, man I would give certain body parts for ole grey beard come back.

42. By Leeskicitizen on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

The only personnel move I can say would make sense is acquiring Jake Scott from free agency. But the reasons he is still a free agent are not known to me, and I’d like to know why.

There seem to be a good percentage of critical thinkers posting on this blog compared with the reactionaries. I align with the possibility of promoting Steve Keim and giving him greater responsibility without sacrificing Rod Grave’s years of service (Rod Graves is to Mike Bidwill what Russ Grimm is to coach Wiz. The Cardinal’s front office has come to the point of making decisions of placing loyalty to the fans in as much regard as they do with loyalty to the management. It is their next step in growing into a perennial powerhouse.) I also align with the position that we shouldn’t sacrifice any players or draft picks in pursuit of making the play-offs. I believe we should be pursuing perfecting and strengthening our team now and let the pieces fall where they may. I’m also in alignment with finding a way to graciously replace Russ Grimm with an offensive line coach who will do for the Cardinal’s what has been done for the 49’rs, and accelerate the process that has been started to make our offensive line a signature of our team. And finally, Ray Horton needs to be retained, even if he needs to be prematurely promoted to assistant head coach if he is offered a head coaching position. He has already stated that he wants to solidify and grow into his position as defensive coordinator, but if he would be willing to seriously consider accepting a head coaching position elsewhere, we should do what it takes to keep him with the Cardinals.

43. By Jon on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think Skelton did poor enough to have everyone crying for Lindly. No QB is going to be a Tom Brady of Peyton Manning behind that OL. Skelton threw 52 times without throwing a legitimate interception. His one INT was on a hail marry so it wasn’t exactly his fault, or a game changer. I think thats pretty good to throw 52 without throwing an interception. Especially when it was clear that we weren’t running the ball anymore. He kept throwing the ball into a defense that knew he was going to pass and he still didn’t turn it over. I think Skelton did really well with zero run game, very poor OL line and against a great defense.

44. By ben on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

put in all the rookie ol and let them get some reps together, and please no more lyle sendline comments or stories, thats why they cant dump him he’s been made into a fan favorite and he’ s just not he best option.
    DIE HARD CARDS FAN NO MATTER WHAT THIS IS MY TEAM!!!
    AND FOR THOSE WHO DONT THINK ANY OTHER ACTIVE TACKLE IN THE NFL IS’NT A BETTER OPTION THAN BATISTE IS KIND OF FOOLISH!

45. By Ben on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Have the cards had any links to the bucs for jeremy trueblood? an obvious upgrade that has become a backup down there?

46. By dan on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I want to know who decided on drafting a WR in the 1st rd this year. Whiz or the GM. I don’t care which one it was, whoever really decided on not taking an offensive linemen this year or even the past few years should be fired plain and simple. Any basic Cardinal fan knows what the team needs. Whats the friggin problem?

47. By Louisville Card on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

@Stephen

Are you serious??? Not getting deep passes is what you’re complaining about? Kinda hard to throw a deep pass when you only have about 2 seconds to throw…

Darren, it looks like Vick, and/or Rivers could possibly be had in the off season. Do you think the cards would have any interest in either? Or do you think they’ll go draft this year or next to address the qb instead of FA or trade?

48. By rdixon50 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Andy,

Whiz already did a CYA thing by kicking the field goal when we were down 24-0. Yea, we were’nt shut out!

49. By Rich on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Whiz’s record without Warner starting is pathetic. We need a change at the top.

50. By kevin on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Said it last year and that is Skelton is no more than a 3rd string back up reminds me of McCown. Hope Kolb gets healthy soon. And to all you wanting Skelton to play a head of Kolb shame on you and you got your wish and now look.

51. By TUCARDS on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I often wonder after reading these posts if some pay any attention to the games. I watched some plays where the Hyphen was supposed to pick up blocks, and got strait up side stepped the block leading to a sack on the QB. Skelton does throw the ball behind the players SOMETIMES just like all QBs in the NFL. There have been dropped passes by players and by the great Fitz. The play calling has been better. There have been more 3 step drop and throw plays, screens, etc… to help the QB and make up for the lack of a running game. The O-Line obviously is an Achilles heel for the offense right now. When you play 11 on 11 and 5 O-line players, 1 tight end and 1 running back cannot block the 4 front defensive players from getting to the QB, it makes it real easy for the opposing defense to cover 4 receiving guys with 7 defensive players.
    As far as the defense is concerned, they too have their issues. Yes they have been a strong, and the reason this team has won games. The last 4 games, they have given up plays when it counted aiding in the loss column. Tackling is atrocious. What ever happened to wrapping up and driving the offender to the ground? Too many attempts trying to arm tackle. They play calling on the defense has been off as well. Not mixing up and disguising plays well enough. A lot of A-Gap blitz calls that the offense sees and changes to B-gap runs etc…..
    This team is just not clicking on all cylinders. In the words of Chris Carter. “COME ON MAN!”

52. By cardsalltheway on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

“Whisenhunt: ‘We’ll have to see’ if leadership is strong in Cardinals’ locker room”

It’s a meltdown, he’s the utmost consummate finger pointer. He’s gone off the deep end and needs to turn that finger of his around, he gots no clue what he speaks, Colonel Walter E. Kurtz.

53. By Eric on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

SOME of us said at the time of the Kolb injury….The rest of you would see just how important he was to that 4-0 start. We were scolded by the Skelton faithful….well?

Skelton had decent protection (compared to previous weeks) and still stunk up the joint.

No doubt any longer that Kolb is the franchise QB. Now, they need to draft/sign an offensive line next offseason so we can resume that playoff push that he had started.

54. By in fitz we trust on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

( insert o-line stab here )

( insert Skelton diss here )

( insert coaching / management stab here )

The embarrassment of getting killed at home by your number one rival, on national television, is paramount.

Its going to be a long week, clay mathews is already licking his chops.

lets pull of a Kansas City style upset.

55. By Tren on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

The O-line sucks because of Whiz and the front office. They always draft best available and not needs. Look at the good teams in this league they draft players they need and that fit their scheme. Cards draft best player, hence we have Michael Floyd instead of trading up for Kalil or down for DeCastro. We will continue to have a terrible O-line until we decide to dedicate draft to it. We finally have a great defense an can’t even rush for 10 yards in a game. Its embarrassing and the front office is content with this. Where are any free agent signings? Where are trades? I’ll take Mckinney even if he is a band aid, at least it shows me the people up top are trying and sick of being embarrassed.

56. By cardsalltheway on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Although soundtracks back when(1980’s) may not have always been as good as today’s(?), I’m thinking of the AZ Cardinals Apocalypse(Now), check out the mentioned soundtrack and choose your own(worst) song to go with this 2012 season. Although the one I mentioned in a previous comment could’ve fit, there are others such as “Ride Of The Valkyries” that did and were on the soundtrack. Youtube it/them and select for yourself. When I think of the following 3 in comparison, I can’t help but put these together…Colonel Walter E. Kurtz/Ken W./Lunatic Fringe.

57. By jwilliamsspf on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Sure wish the Cardinals would have drafted for need for once and picked Glenn for an upgrade at tackle instead of picking another WR that was ‘Number 7 overall on their board’.

Personally my belief is that, this is going to sound harsh, Whisenhunt needs to decide if he wants to have a successful team going forward with a new OL coach. I’m not sure why they have split playcalling duties with runs/passes. I find that Grimm is treated as a sacred cow at this point. I like him, but it’s not working.

Massie is a rookie and his play is to be expected. But Batiste has played for many years (2 under Grimm), and Colledge and Snyder have struggled too this year. I’m not for making decisions like this midseason and they should wait until the year plays out to make the final call. But this isn’t a good reflection on Grimm. They could very well end up with the highest sack total in the history of the game.

They are 4 man rushes with stunts for crying out loud. They should be able to make the proper adjustments.

58. By Jeff B on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

The team has quit on management with few exceptions. I think even Adrian Wilson holds his head down which means things must be bad. Graves, Whiz, Grimm and Miller are all on the blockwitrh me. I like the idea of Horton as Head Coach. But most of all, Michael Bidwell, break the tradition of “As long as we show a profit its all good”. Get us a winning team, attitude and lets have a good run for a few years, sacrifice! We all have.

59. By cardsalltheway on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Ken W.
    “If things keep going the same way Ryan Lindley will soon play/start.”

Is the above quote correct? If so, way to go Ken W.

60. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

pinkfloyd —

RE: Floyd role

Floyd is being used more often, but it still has to do with packages the offense is running. Floyd did have 11 targets Monday as opposed to four for Doucet.

61. By Kevin S on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

People who think our QB problems are solely related to the O-line (“Even if we had Aaron Rodgers we’d be seeing the same results.”) are kidding themselves. If we had Aaron Rodgers he’d get sacked every now and then, but his passes wouldn’t be three feet too high or behind the receivers when they are open. And on those plays where the O-line gives good protection, he’d find the open guy.

Also, someone said above that we have 2 QB’s who are above the NFL average? Huh?

Also, comparing the Lindley situation to Tannehill or any of the other first-round QB’s… well, there isn’t really much of a comparison. Lindley might be better than Skelton long-term, I will acknowledge that. But it’s highly unlikely that he’s our long-term answer anyway, and he likely would perform worse than Skelton in the short term, given Skelton’s experience. And you can’t put him out there just to experiment when the team is 4-4. Yes, the playoffs look like an impossibility right now based on how the team is playing, but an NFL team can’t give up on the season when they are at .500 with half a season left.

Finally, re: trading Fitz — umm, no. The whole idea of building a team is to GET players like Fitz. I have no idea whether he would bring any interest but if I were the Cardinals the guy I would be willing to part with is Floyd. I don’t think that’s likely because it would basically be an admission that their priorities were screwed up when they drafted him, but if in fact he is a mid-first-round WR talent, one would think he’d draw interest. As much as I understand the company line is that Floyd was not expected to be a starter in his first year, and is progressing as expected, etc., I just don’t buy into this. I mean, if 5 guys — not just the uber-talents like Luck and RG3, but also Tannehill, Weeden (drafted well after Floyd) and R. Wilson (a third rounder!) — can handle the much more complex QB position and take over as the starter (and not just for crappy teams with nothing to lose — Miami is over .500, Sea is at .500), participating in every offensive play, you’d think a guy we pick 13th should have contributed more than 127 receiving yards (basically, a good game for Fitz) in 8 games. More to the point, though, the team just doesn’t need him the way we need help at O-line (or QB). We’d still have plenty of guys to whom to throw the ball between Fitz, Roberts (who I think is already a perfectly acceptable #2), Doucet at WR (and Byrd if you let go of Floyd), and Housler/King at TE (leaving out Heap since he is perpetually injured).

62. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Louisville —

RE: QB next year

As I said before, I think QB will be a major topic of consideration this offseason. I think that means looking in every area.

63. By cardsalltheway on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I hardly ever listen to Ken W. firsthand(clicking on a video) via this or any other website, when I listen to him(only 2 or 3 times this year so far) I feel like barfing and get so depressed as to how a guy like that can actually get paid what he does while being so inconsistently average and still to this day rides the success of Coach Green’s draft.

64. By truths4all on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Stephen – so you are declaring out of your personal ignorance and panic that the Cards locker room at 4-4 have now hit the panic button and have lost all hope of a winning season?

You have forgotten that last year they were 1-6, but then ended up at 8-8?

And, as for those who advocate to play Lindley because he did well in college against upper level competition, just hold your horses and keep in mind that his Offensive Line was a thousand times better than the current Cards Offensive Line who, BTW, has surrendered 39 sacks after 8 games this season and have given up 80 sacks in each of the past two seasons.. Does anyone in their right mind believe Lindley can do any better with such a terrible line?

As for the bandwagon Cards fans who are wringing their despair about how the team can win some games, if the Defense can return to its stellar play of the Patriots and Philly games AND the Offensive Line learns the basics of handling basic stunts and pass blocking as well as run blocking, there is no reason why they Cards can’t finish 9-7 or 8-8. Of course if the Offensive Line remains unable to react to basic stunts and blitzes, the Cards can easily go 4-12 for the season.

65. By Mike T on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I don’t see any trades happening this late in the season. Especially a trade for even a sub-par OT. What team in thier right mind would trade a OT this late in the season. It’s such a key position.

The Cardinals were Flawed at OT coming into the pre-season. That came back to bite them in the rear when they lost their only two expeienced players at the position just befor the season started. There is no fix for that.

66. By Chuck 1 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

A little late in posting some thoughts from the “Massacre in Phoenix”, but here goes.

Now, that was an ASS KICKIN’!!!

Gruden’s comments:

“Peterson tackling bad”.
    “Card secondary bad.”
    “Dan Williams was a #1 pick. The Cards need more out of him.”
    “Cards have given up more sacks in the last 2 1/2 years than any other team.”
    “Cards 7 yards rushing total lowest since ’53.”
    “Undersized RB (LSH) run over by a LB.”
    “Cards use too many defensive schemes. It confuses the players.”
    “49ers run numerous offensive sets which make it difficult to defend.”
    “SF kicking their tails.”
    “Sendlein knocked backwards on a run.”
    “SF twice the time of possession in the first half.”
    “49ers most 1st round picks and Pro-Bowlers.”
    “49ers most physical team in the NFL.”
    “49er coaching staff very experienced in all three phases of the game.”

My thoughts:
    Peterson needs to stuff a sock in it.
    Crabtree, turned him every way but loose.

67. By wnycardfan on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I watched the Tue Ken W video. He’s stating that Lindley will be in there at some point this season??? Whether you want that to happen or not, WOW, what does that tell you? I know he is COOL and CALM, but can you get just a bit excited about a fix (and on the flip side, on a win)? Nothing way out, but give us something to hang our hat on. The same ole “we have things to fix” (no kidding), and “we are working hard” just doesn’t do it. Yeah I know, he isn’t going to come out and air dirty laundry or tell anyone about their new scheme (if they even have a new scheme). But still………………
    I just can’t get over how embarrassing they’ve been, esp on national TV. Somewhere it was stated that THIS YEAR along, the two times they got national air time, they were outscored 41 – 6. If I’m Bidwell (you know owner/president of a company) and that was what I showed off, there would be some heated ass chewing on those in charge. What a joke.
    I know, they went from 1 – 6 to 8-8 last year. Why do they have to do that every year? I know pride (players) has a lot to do, plus all the other teams think you stink and so don’t work so hard to get you. But could we JUST have some consistency and some hope, rather than this “all hands on deck” we are losing the season, we better get our ass’s in gear crap???? They have to get embarrased and laughed at before they come to play ball?? I don’t get it

68. By Eazy E on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

We have to make these 3 moves or we will win a max of 3 more games.

1. Trade for Chris Ivory: What are we waiting for? He can help Larod carry the rock.

2. Sign Chris Williams and/or Trade for Bryant McKinnie: Our O-Line say it out loud is atrocious. Chris by no means is a great player but he’s a helluva alot better player than both of our tackles, who isn’t? Bryant also would be a huge upgrade over our awful tackles. Darren talks about how a rookie beat him out but what about the Ravens just wanting the rook to start instead of him because he was injured earlier on in the preseason and they like him. Darren, you didn’t put up the rook’s numbers so how do we know he ain’t getting beat like Massie and Batiste every week.

3. Sign Vince Young or Trade for ”Wait For It” Tim Tebow: VY is so much better than Skelton and Kolb. He can run, has a nice arm, and is more accurate than alot of people give him credit for. We need a more mobile QB because our O-Line is going to let you get pressure on our QB. Tebow would be another option I would be in favor of because of his running ability, has a strong arm, and wins games. We would have to tweak some things but who cares? What do we have to lose but a bunch of football games if we don’t make these moves.

We need to make these moves or else we’re looking at a 7-9 season at best after starting off at 4-0.#Wake Up Cardinals Coaching and Front Office

69. By jocards on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Okay folks, the team has absolutely stunk it up recently. We can all agree on that point I’m certain. I do not believe it is all due to the OL nor do I believe it is all due to John Skelton. The OL does not often pass protect well enough to allow the QB to get the ball down the field. They also have not run blocked well at all which obviously exacerbates the problem. Add in the fact that Skelton struggles with his accuracy and really he always has, and you have a very ineffective offense. The combination of the two really grinds things to a halt. The QB is under intense early pressure, not good. Or the OL holds up but the QB makes an inaccurate throw, either way you are punting or worse you are turning the ball over. Defenses do not have to worry about our running game, they know we can’t hit them deep so they are really defending a much smaller area and are able turn things loose. Lately the defense has shown some cracks and in fact looked very beatable on Monday, the tackling was absolutely horrible. People want heads to roll, they want coaches fired, they want players benched or traded, etc. Nobody likes what Whisenhunt has to say…The fact is the team does have to keep working on their issues, they do have to tighten things up, they do have to improve their execution…Improvement is not going to come from outside at this point. Every coach and every player in that locker room have to make sure they are doing their job and get this done, that is the only way.

70. By Brandon M on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

@ Eazy E

If the Cards picked up Tebow I would have no doubt that the coaches have given up on this season and are now just trying to get a good draft spot.

71. By Rio on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

This team had a chance to beat the 49ners on Monday Nite, but were afraid to take a chance, they held them on downs and then did the screen play for a nice gain, but instead of going for the throat and throwing downfield in a hurry up offense and taking it to them, they tried to running plays up the middle with a 180 pound running back, then try to pass on third down.

they could have chanige the hold game if they had showed some hurry up and score first, but Wiz is so scare to take a chance.
    Lets face it the guy is just to consevation and won’t take a chance how about the the 4th down play on the 38 yard line and punted, when trailing by a lot, also the field later when traiing by 24 points. He just wanted to get on board so he would not be shut out for his resume.

Just get rid of him he has lost this team.

72. By hotValleySun on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Our core is not talented and injury prone. There is only so much that can be done to turn things around.

Having said that; next on to Packers, Keep moving…

73. By Cert 33 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Kevin Kolb is the number 1 QB on this team. My respect for him this season has risen considerably due to his toughness and ability to “move the chains” and rest the defense. Skelton, for whatever reason, after showing some promise in a couple of games last season, is not doing well at all. Yes, I know, the offensive line is absolutely terrible, the average 8 sacks per game, the running backs getting blasted right after receiving the ball before they can square themselves, etc… I’m sorry, but Skelton is inaccurate and playing witout any confidence. If the Cards tried to trade Skelton with a draft pick for even a decent back-up OL, there would be no takers. Unfortunately, although Kolb has turned out to be a tough, able competitor, he is not durable. This year’s team is not going to the playoffs, that is reality. Monday’s game against the 49’ers was our shot. Let’s have a look at Lindley and see if he can at least “move the chains” and rest the defense. Skelton could not and we were absolutely humiliated on national television. There is no way that Lindley could do worse than Skelton showed us on Monday. I would also like to see Horton get a shot at Head Coach before we lose him to another team. Ken “No Warner, No Win” Whisenhunt has had his shot.

74. By mike hadzinski on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren

When are you gonna ask Larry about the draft Maybe he says we Need a Punter so it takes the Pressure Of HIM Sorry butt Larry FITZGERALD SHOULD HAVE KEPT HIS MOUTH SHUT HE DIDN’T & IT COST THE WHOLE TEAM

Best In The World

75. By sarah on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Yo folks above focus on Green Bay and us getting a friggin running game or we telegraph our offense via passing. SF did a great job limiting any deep threat, they did pretty much what Minnesota did which was give em the 5 and ten yard passes but limit Fitz. It is widely recognized that we have no other deep threat receiver and Floyd has yet to materialize to expectation. Kolb ran the same offense. Bottom line the QB takes the heat for the loss, recognize it is a team game, no decent line and no great pass protection and we will be held in check, both Minn and SF did a good job with this. I reality it was STL that provided the blueprint and Buffalo etc followed it.

Everything starts at the line, both offense and defense ! Special teams have been so so too.

Happy Halloween everyone !!

76. By jocards on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

@ Rio – I understand what you’re saying and in theory an early lead might have made a difference but in reality considering the lack of execution on both sides of the ball there is no way they had a chance to win that game. The coverage was spotty and the tackling was very poor. The team was being gashed on the ground for large chunks too. On the offensive side…..well, it wasn’t pretty. IMO philosophy and scheme can only get you so far….In reality you have to outplay the team you line up against and the Cardinals did not do that in any facet of the game.

77. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

In the midst of all of this…I sure do wish I had the Packers D for my fantasy line-up this week! This pathetic Cardinals offense on the road in Green Bay??? That’s a license to print fantasy money!

78. By ndpenner on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Poor Larry. All I can say right now.

79. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski —

RE: Fitz/Floyd

The Cardinals did not pick Floyd because Larry told them to. Simply isn’t true.

80. By mike hadzinski on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren

I guess you have 2 say that unless you feel like pulling A Toni Grossi???

So It Is True B/C #1 I play Madden With 2 current and 1 older cards player plz They all told me Larry only has 2 say a peep and The Bidwills Bite Just Like He Wanted Kolb 2 ?????? Plz D This is MY TEAM BRO I KNOW DOCKETT TRYED 2 Stab Blackstock @ Halftime VS the seahawks 07”

BEST IN THE WORLD

81. By mike hadzinski on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Bidwell sorry 4 spelling

Ohh It’s TRUE It’s all True 150milkion in him & his boy He wanted Kolb how can you have money 4 O-line Star WR secertly greedy

82. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Mike Hadzinski —

RE: Madden

Well, unless Fitz himself is playing Madden with you, how would they know?

Did Fitz want Kolb? Yes. Did everyone with the Cards? Yes.

Sorry if I have a hard time trusting anonymous sources. You say players a) play you and b) tell you things. Give me some names. I’ll double-check.

83. By Gerald Jones on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I am a Big Red fan, but might as well give the 49ers some credit. We were out maned, out played and out coached. They have more talent. We were outgunned. Right now, they are simply a better team, sorry to admit.

84. By Brett on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

A lot of you are blaming Whiz, Graves, and our draft decisions for our recent losses and problems… which is total B.S.

Think about all the injuries that have happened this year…
    (LEVI, BRIDGES, KOLB, SKELTON, BEANIE, WILLIAMS, HEAP, SHERMAN)…

And what side of the ball are they one?… OMG on the offensive side of the ball.

So think about what you say before you say it… our coaching staff and front office want to win Super Bowls and are doing a great job of trying to get us there. So whats the real issue hear? IT’S INJURIES.

…but if you want someone to blame there is Russ Grimm because he obviously can’t develop an offensive linemen or even teach them how to block.

85. By azrockstar12 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren:
    Why not pick up Jake Scott, make a trade for Jake Long / McKinnie, and drop a 4th rounder for Blount? Major problems solved….

86. By brom on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

When I first mentioned the OL woes, everybody got booty hurt. Now all I hear is everybody wanting Grimm’s head. The truth is so obvious now. Whiz just can’t carry Grimm any longer. At this stage of the season, there’s probably not much that can be done. Granted, guys have been banged up, but professionals are paid to do a job on a certain level. I’m not sure that the Cards put much thought into this area. Bringing back Levi Brown makes me wonder. The Cards OL is so close to being the league’s worst if not thee worst. I’m not saying blocking is easy in today’s NFL, but for goodness sake guys, make some kind of serious effort. When in doubt on who to block, find someone on the other team. Too many times, guys are not touching anybody. If you can’t sustain a block long enough, re-engage as the QB tries to save his own life. On one play, I saw one of the linesman take off down field as if he was to receive a pass without touching anyone. Of course the play resulted in another sack. Teams are sending three rushers most of the time because they know of the problems we’re having. This gives the opponents more players to clog the passing lanes. What can any QB do under these circumstances? I just hope the team figures out a way to avoid further embarrassment to the fan support.

87. By dougbedford on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Philly wants to talk about benching Vick, hell, let’s grab Vick, trade Skelton and beat the Off Line into shape.

88. By clssylssy on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Brett for reiterating what I have been pointing out and what is the reality of the situation…..HOWEVER, by now you should know that these armchair experts are not interested in the facts but want to play the blame game. I look at a lot of other teams around the league who are also in shambles because of injuries, namely the Ravens, Redskins, Packers, Cowboys and even the Texans have been knocked from the leading prospect for SB to walking wounded mode. My Packer friend says their IR list looks like a Superbowl roster! If we are to get into the blame game then lets put the blame where it lies…with the NFL for two years of lock-outs and off season drama. This season started with replacement refs because of the cheapskate and greedy owners which was the bell tolling for this season. We saw in the beginning on national TV, the Packers CHEATED by the SeaHags ultimately giving the Hags a win they didn’t deserve (in our division), we saw mayhem on the field with players going at it fist-to-cuffs and blatant penalties not being called…this has not changed much since the return of the regulars. The season started bad and it seems the players were sent a message that the “player safety” rhetoric by the league was self-serving hot air.
    We all know the 9ers are a physical team who like to play dirty and their coach is an arrogant instigator more than a good coach (unlike his brother). Fitz had his head SHOVED into the ground by their DB in what could have been a serious head/neck injury and no whistle? …what a surprise…and fans wonder why players have lost their sparkle and enthusiasm! The message has gotten through…the fat cat owners and the NFL don’t give two cents about the integrity of the game only the revenue that is generated. The Cardinal Organization is run Jerry Jones old school style…”I may not know football, but I am the guy writing the checks which makes me the supreme being with everyone else my paid scapegoats”. The GM and Owner are the ones making the draft calls so take the coaches and players out of the equation…they are having to “make do” with the hand they are dealt. That being said, we have a lot of talented players and good coaches who, I believe, have been scrappy and smart enough to win games anyway. I STAND BY MY TEAM AND HOPE TO SEE THEM FLY HIGH. The Pack is beatable even with Aaron Rogers if our defense can keep him in check. Clay Matthews is more of a concern!