Netting 300 through the air

Posted by Darren Urban on October 31, 2012 – 10:32 am

A fan pointed out to me today a stat ESPN ran during the “Monday Night Football” telecast, saying at that point during the game the Cards had gone 46 games without 300 yards passing. That raised my eyebrow, because the Cards have had games where they have thrown the ball a lot and been successful. It didn’t sound right. But the first thing that comes to your mind when someone says “300 yards passing” is what the quarterback did, not what the team’s net passing yards were. And there’s the rub.

Last year alone, Kevin Kolb opened the season with a 309-yard game against the Panthers, and John Skelton got the Eagles (315) and the Browns (313) for 300-plus. But in the NFL, yards lost on sacks is part of the net yards equation. And that’s when it changes things. I started looking back, climbing back into the Kurt Warner era even, before the 300 yards net passing popped up, against the Seahawks on Nov. 15, 2009 — halfway through Warner’s final season. The Cards had 340 net yards passing that day, but Warner went through the rest of the schedule, seven more games, without guiding the Cards to that mark (although he did pass for 313 yards in the next-to-last game against the Rams).

The one caveat to this streak: Warner’s epic performance against the Packers in the Wild Card playoff game technically does not count, since such streaks, like all records, are measured in the regular-season only. But Warner’s awesome 29-for-33 day, for 379 yards and five touchdowns (it’s still crazy to think he had more TDs than incompletions) provided 375 net yards passing.

Tags: , ,

33 Responses to “Netting 300 through the air”

1. By david on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I like the guys on 620am they trash this teams front office it really makes me smile about the whole situation. But when I read ur stuff I want to pull my hair out.

2. By Hummer53 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Well I’ll give it a go on the glass half full. The goal is to claw and battle our way to a 5-3 record the last 8.I think a 9-7 team can get to a WC spot. Also we play a lot of the teams we would be fighting for that spot. We play Seattle and GB on the road and Detroit and Chicago at home. A tiebreaker may come into play. Of course it won’t be easy. But the point is we at least “control our destiny” as they say. The problem is we have to perform between the lines to actually win 5 games. How do we do that? I’ll get back to you on that one. But at least we have a chance. All you can ask for at this point in time.

3. By Kurt on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Only one stat really matters in any sport…

4. By Rio on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Hay, take williams and make him a left tackle, i bet he could block well enough
    to give the QB some time to throw.
    He won’t be missed at nose taclke.

5. By fred on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

the offensive line is broken its been a concern for years look at the stats . Darren do you expect someone to be fired over this, as it might be the worst line in nfl history.

6. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Fred —

RE: Coaching changes

I know nothing will happen until after the season. Then, depending on how everything plays out, I’d think there could be some kind of change, yes.

7. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Lindley for mayor… or sheriff ;) Thought Whiz’ throw away line on Lindley was interesting…

8. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren: any idea how Hornberger (sp) graded at G?

9. By hotValleySun on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren, Are you trying to cheer up the fans? Say it is not so.

10. By "Whiz n Punt-goodbye" on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

At the rate they are going now we may give up 300 sacks this season and they may already be over 300yds of sack losses. Doesn’t look like McKinnie is a possibility and he may not even be any better. Probably will only win 2 more games this year. Hopefully they will fix the RB and OL problem thru draft and FA. Larry will probably be willing to be traded since they will be a average team for at least the next few years.

11. By jocards on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren – I know that the team is playing the Kevin Kolb injury situation close to the vest and as far as I have seen is not making any projections as far as target dates for him to return. Just thought I’d ask you for your gut feeling…if any on the subject. Do you get the feeling that it is possible he could miss the rest of the season?

12. By sarah on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Let’s open up the offense and quit pretending we have a running game, in both the last two games Whiz waited too long to go to hurry up and deeper passing. Green Bay will play the same game as SF and our defense cannot control the game, we need to start matching TD’s ! Tell me one play last game where a WR got separation and yards after the catch ? They always had a DB or safety on them !

13. By wnycardfan on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Good info, interesting stuff. Thanks for the walk down memory lane in the better times…………..man that is depresing (to read) 2009 last time we threw for over 300 (counting sacks). YIKES, whose the next “best” or “worse” on that page?

14. By bobcat2444 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I wonder how Skelton would feel if Calais came over to play LT for him that would be a solid tackle and his lateral quickness with his long arms would allow the cards enough time to get a play off

15. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Ah, Kurt Warner….those were the days….when we had a real QB and the Cardinals were actually relevant.

16. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

DontTake —

RE: Ohrnberger

Haven’t asked about him specifically, but I’d guess he’d fall into the OK category. Pass protection was OK. Run blocking not so much.

17. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

jocards —

RE: Kolb timeline

If I had to guess, yes, I think he’ll be back. Even Kevin played it vague.

18. By Buck on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

There have been many posts that criticize Whiz for going for a field goal when behind 24 – 0. For those who can’t figure it out it you are down 24 points it takes three touchdowns ( with extra points ) and a field goal to tie. Go for fourth down and come up short you still need 3 T’s and FG. So the percentage play is get the field goal. (I know you can also tie with 3 TDs and 3- 2 point extra point, but the odds on that are next to nothing.)

19. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Maybe going for the field goal was to avoid the humiliation of a shutout at home…?

20. By hotValleySun on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Buck-

Re:Field Goal at 24-0

I had my doubts but refrained from any criticism. In previous posts I asked Darren what Whiz’s response is to this is. It appears media mat not have posed the question.

Based on your comments, Whiz may have thought the same. Thanks for the info

21. By Gary Shaw on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

22. By truths4all on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Kolb fans want him back as soon as possible?

Now that is cruel. If Kolb comes back soon, he will just get injured again behind this awful line. And he won’t do any better than Skelton as we all saw how the offense was struggling with the lousy line that prompted Kolb to try his Vick imitation and get smashed.

23. By Chris on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

They need to bring in Juan Castillo. Shake things up. If schemes are executed correctly the OL should be able to at least get in the way of a pass rusher as opposed to let them blow by.

24. By mike hadzinski on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

LOL You Mad Now -D- Truth Hurts hu ???

25. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

And Alex Smith threw for more TDs than incompletions against the Cardinals just two nights ago.

26. By Credit Card on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I would not want to be in Whisenhunt’s or Grimm’s shoes. The OL on every running play is being pushed in and back about 1-1 1/2 yards each play. Passing plays — any simple stunt is not being picked up, and the OL is being comically over-matched. What can you do, when both tackles and both guards are being beaten on every play, physically, and technically. Each opposing team will be studying film, and know exactly on how to attach the Cards. The two tackles and two guards are playing at a level where victory is simply not possible. No scheme will prevail as long as these four guys are not playing at an NFL level.

27. By canadian redbird on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

TRADE DEADLINE:

I would strongly encourage the Cardinals to battle through these tough times as opposed to making another Kolb – like trade where we trade away the future and set the franchise back another couple of years. It is what it is; fasten your seat belts; turbulents ahead. Graves/Kiem/Whiz/Grimm should be held accountable not only for the bad drafting but the Kolb deal where we paid Lexus price for a Volkswagen. I hope that the Bidwell’s evaluation process is thorough to hold everyone accountable for their efforts.

Go Cards vs. the Pack!!!!!!

28. By philly cards on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Wow I am glad to hear whiz could be gone.the one thing I liked about dennis green is he told you what kind of team we were.he said were gonna score 21 and then run.

Whiz has never described a vision.I saw a purging of dennis green players and not much more.

29. By Chuck 1 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

By “Whiz n Punt-goodbye” on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

…”Hopefully they will fix the RB and OL problem thru draft and FA. Larry will probably be willing to be traded since they will be a average team for at least the next few years.”
    My comment: A OL draft pick won’t be effective for at least one year. (See Massie). Has to FA and Bidwill and Graves won’t pay the $$$$$$$$$$$
    Re: Fitz; What’s the saying? “If you love it (him), let him go!!!” I agree. He deserves to play for a winner.
    ==============================
    By sarah on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

My comment: WOW, Sarah. Seems like your eyes have finally shed the scales!!
    ==============================
    By DontTakeLoses on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

My comment: When I saw the field goal unit come on the field, I thought the same thing.
    ==============================
    By Gary Shaw on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren will we finally get rid of this excuse for a general manager who has ignored drafting the offensive line for years? Will this owner finally fire this excuse for a offensive line coach?Darren these two moves are only common sense.
    My comment: I’ve been preaching that same line for a couple of years. The Bidwills won’t cut the cord with Graves!!! I’d cut Grimm some slack. He doesn’t have anyone to work with.

30. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Kolb trying to make something out of a broken play is a Vick imitation? So what should he have done when he turned to hand Powell the ball and he wasn’t there? Punt it?

31. By AzDesertRat1953 on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Wow, love all the so called Fans we have here. Sounds like a Bunch of Trolls.

Gut the teams Coaches, most of the O-line, Oh yes that’ll do the trick, In a Pigs Eye!

When has Anything in the NFL been EASY!!!

As much as I liked to see Kurt win games, it was only TWO years. I would rather tough it out and teach the QB’s and Young players we have and Hope, like all the other teams Hope, we get a Long Lasting Wining QB and Team!

Everyone seems to put the blame on Coaches, Why?

The NFL is like a Casino, Teams gamble on every game, to Win, some lose some win.

GO CARDS!!!

32. By Scott H on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Kolbstopper –

Now, THAT is a clever nickname! Love it!

33. By Eric on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

LOL at the five skelton fans on the website trying still…to rundown Kolb. Just face it you were wrong and Kolb has proved when healthy he is the guy to run the show.

He was 4-1 behind a garbage Oline and actually made the O look respectable. What does skelton have the offense looking like???