Peterson channels his inner Justin Verlander

Posted by Darren Urban on October 31, 2012 – 3:28 pm

Cornerback Patrick Peterson did not have a good game Monday night against the 49ers, missing a few tackles and giving up a pair of touchdowns to receiver Michael Crabtree. Peterson is a confident guy — important at the position — and said Wednesday he quickly got over the bad performance. But that doesn’t mean he is ignoring it, or dismissing it. He understands games like that can’t happen.

“At the end of the day, Cy Young winners, those guys give up home runs and have to come back, bounce back and hopefully put up a better performance than their last outing,” Peterson said. “I believe that definitely wasn’t my best game, giving up two touchdowns, but it’s all about how I bounce back. This will show what type of player I am, what kind of future I have.”

Peterson has had his ups and downs this season, but no one is questioning his ability and the Cardinals certainly aren’t questioning Peterson’s ability to become an elite cover man.

“We’ve put him on (the opponent’s) best player a lot of times this year,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “Having to flip sides and match up, it’s put him in some tough spots, but he’s a competitor. He wants to be the bell cow for that position.”

Tags:

28 Responses to “Peterson channels his inner Justin Verlander”

1. By rodgerscromartie17 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

darren, do you think the chances of ray horton leaving this summer to another team to coach is likely?

2. By robert on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

i have been following PP the entire season when he was annoited a pro bowl caliber corner. I recall the long pass completion against him on the first few plays in seattle, and most recently the touchdowns when crabtree made him look like a 3rd string CB…I think he is putting to much pressure on retruning a kickoff and making a big play..maybe he is losing focus

One final thing, has there ever been a time we can remember where an O line coach has been given this much time and failed so miserable?

what can Grimm possibly have on this organization> the talent is terrible and the players never get better…without an o line and running game, you can’t win in the NFL

3. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

rodgers —

RE: Horton leaving

No idea. Depends on jobs out there and what they are looking for.

4. By mike hadzinski on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Why Is Pat Peterson OverRated ????????

5. By DontTakeLoses on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

PP needs to quit talking and play. His reference to Cy Young is hubris. He is better compared to burnt toast as of now… love PP … but he is a great punt returner but avg cb so far…

6. By BIG RED on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

The kind of player peterson should be is ” Shut up and just play, show it in the field. Elite CB, just not yet.

7. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Big Red/Don’t Take —

RE: PP

Disagree on the talking. Why does it rub you the wrong way? He’s not calling us around and saying, “Hey, quote me.” We’re asking him questions.

If he says he’s not talking after a bad game, someone rips him for being a baby.

8. By Scott on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

What do you think the chances of Whisenhunt being fired are? If he is let go would Horton be a candidate to replace him?

9. By Robert on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

If the cards keep playing bad Ray is going to stay because who going to take him to be a HC yes the D is great but who evers hires a caoch from a non playoff team

10. By haszafewcity on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

peterson and whiz, talk is cheap….you’ve been talkin’ the last 4 games…. just shut up and show us.

11. By NYCardinals on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I read the comments from the 2009 blog post you linked to previously (http://blog.azcardinals.com/2009/09/28/colts-aftermath/). It is a poignant comparison. The offensive line couldn’t protect the quarterback or run block (“I don’t feel I won my share of battles out there,” Gandy said.) They had zero 1st downs rushing, and Warner threw an interception at an inopportune time.

At the same time, fans were calling for someone, anyone to get fired. One fan wrote, “My heart was broken with this game. I even took down my Cardinal flag. Maybe the question should be asked,’was last year a fluke?’ The play calling was terrible. We looked like the ‘old’ Cardinals that everyone laughed at. And the Cardinals were the favorite. This was a sad game.”

Somehow, with a defensive I.Q that was “. . .the lowest in the league” they won 10 games. Admittedly, they had Kurt Warner then, but now they have the defense. NFL games just never seem to turn out like the Madden simulations say they will.

Thanks for the perspective.

12. By Texascard on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

52 pass attempts vs 8 rush attempts. Just saying. And if whiz won’t let powell have even one carry why is he wasting a roster spot? Cut him

13. By Cody Zarr on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Fans are fickle and susceptible to frustration and delusions. I think people are so hard on PP21 because he spent the offseason talking about wanting to be an elite cover corner. There are a lot of things that could rub people the wrong way about him. His number choice, his choice of words, and his mediocre coverage so far.

Its easy to forget that he’s only in his second year and that he’s being asked to do things a lot of vets can’t even do. He is matching up against the best receivers most of the time and with that, he’s being moved all over the field.

Anyway, my main purpose wasn’t to comment on that, I’ve got a question for you Darren. I’m looking for an awesome Cardinals picture I can use to customize my debit/credit card with. The ones you guys post on FB or on here are always the best Darren. Can you think of the best one you’ve seen in maybe the last 5 years? Or should I just browse the image gallery?

14. By badoline on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I like the fact that you are trying to do your job with all articles. I understand it is a “J.O.B.” for you. What you say and write about this team doesn’t make sense for me. What I want to say to you is thanks for this open communication media. I want to tell you ktar 620, Wolf, is just like your doing his “J.O.B”. I like the opinions of the PM guys of ktar about your cards organization. More than anything else i love M. J. MJ knows the footbal of cards. Im glad I’m not limited on your information about this team. My recommedations for this team are:
    1. Get a new Oline cordinator
    2. Evaluate your football recuriters
    3. Tell Peterson to stop talking about greatness
    4. Wiz needs to have a balanced game plan; not to throw 52 times to soft WRs
    the final result will be 6 win and 10 loses this is my evaluation from the beginning of the season. I have never been fooled by 4 straight wins.

15. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Scott —

RE: Whiz job

As I have said a few times, I expect Whisenhunt to be coach in 2013.

16. By Bay Area Bad Boy on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

What he needs to do is focus on his job and stop trying to make the big play. I don’t want to see him on offense. I don’t even want to see him run back punts anymore. Although he is an exciting return man, he needs to buckle down and focus on his technique. And stop worrying so much about being great. Just do you job and hold your own. If you do your job and do it well, the elite status will come. Crabtree is an average at best receiver with an average at best QB passing to him. No way Peterson should get burned the way he did. Focus on Cornerback and let someone else play offense and run back punts.

17. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Cody —

RE: picture

Off the top of my head, nothing comes to mind. But of the best pictures I have, I’ve used them on stories at some point.

18. By badoline on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

The is one thing I notice on Fiz that is the number of the game. Eventhough he is soft, not a tough guy, he would fight for every single of reception and yard if the past game was the last game of the season. He is “not” about his numbers, but his numbers are more important for him. This team is in truble.

19. By bluepitt on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Cody look up A.Wilson you can get his hit on heap and there is one more of him flying in the air thats sweet!
    go to yahoo and type in wilson hits moreno (that one is sweet)

20. By Chuck 1 on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Peterson is an average cover guy and a poor tackler and it’s questionable if he’ll ever improve.

He must wear a size 10 hat.

PERIOD!!!

21. By john the draft guy on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

I hate to speak for anyone, but I think the frustration of PP talking isn’t that he is talking, but what he is saying.

Saying you are the second best CB behind Revis and saying you are working to be the the best are two different things.
    Yes, Cy Young bounced back after getting hit but he established himself before they named awards after him.

If we are using baseball comparisons, here is one that always stuck with me. The great Tom Seaver pitched against the Detroit Tigers. Back then, the Tigers were loaded. He was ripped all over the yard. A very humbling experience that helped him understand how difficult it is to be successful and to be great in the majors and how much work and commitment it would take.

Was Tom a great talent who would someday make it to the Hall of Fame, sure. But on that day, he understood he had a long way to go.

Does PP understand he has a long way to go? Maybe. But statements like the ones he has made saying he is a shut down CB dont convey that message. And so, if you say you are great but play very average, expect people to tell you to shut up and play.

If PP said, “man this was a humbling experience. To be great, I can’t miss tackles and I can’t get burnt. I have some things to work on but I promise you, I will work hard at being great” , I don’t think there would be any backlash. In fact, he would have people defending him and saying he is the next great corner once he cleans up a few things.

Just my opinion.

22. By BIG RED on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

One thing I still believe is on Whiz. He will make the corrections. When I don’s know, but he will. Right, Darren!

23. By jocards on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Now I like a good analogy as much as the next guy but Tom Seaver as a young pitcher going against the Tigers? Was it spring training? Someone help me here…

24. By Jahstone on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Look at what the Colts are doing this season with a rookie QB, and new coaches…we started 4-0 and they now have a better record.They were how bad last season?

Looks like the only way we will get back is to correct 3 o-line positions and get a MVP caliber QB. Give Whiz and Grimm talent for a year, and see if they can coach it. They did a pretty good job in 2008/2009. When we used to blow out opponents. Oh those were the days!!

25. By JMONDO on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

To be honest.. the Cardinals REALLY should have drafted David DeCastro this season. I like Michael Floyd, he is a good kid, and could eventually develop into something nice, but he isn’t nor ever was “special”. Meaning.. he didn’t represent a landslide of a better player than David DeCastro, and we needed DeCastro.

Truthful.. the Cardinals need to replace AT LEAST four positions on the offensive line… I think that Massie will eventually be a good player, but it was unfair for him to be starting this season.. the rest… are all substandard NFL players.

Colledge and Snyer are both 30+ year old NFL retreads without any upside, and aren’t very good… we all understand about the LT position, and to be honest… as much as I like the guy.. Sendelein has topped out in terms of talent, and he is merly a League average (at best) Center in the NFL…

This has been neglected far too long…. Having Drafted DeCastro would have been at least one nice piece of the puzzle….

26. By Cody Zarr on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren & bluepitt,

Thanks guys!

27. By suspence716 on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Patrick peterson hasnt looked good. I’ve heard him say in pregame warmups, “watch me be great today”. Great I ask? He hasn’t even been good. In one on one coverage he gets beat and doesn’t get his head around to find the ball. I’m beginning to believe the guy is over-rated as a corner.

28. By john the draft guy on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

jocards,

With Tom pitching most of his career in the national league, it would make sense that it was spring training.

In his interview I heard many years ago, he talked about the first time against major leaguers was the Tigers with Al Kaline and gang. He talked about how he was shelled. Could I be mistaken? Maybe, but I’m pretty sure. My two heros growing up were Nolan Ryan and Tom Seaver. Since I could never throw like Nolan, I pattern my style after Tom, dragging the knee and the big overhand curve.

But my point was, he didn’t get the nickname Tom Terrific till he was actually, you know, terrific.
    Some players get that.

I mean, I can be full of confidence and tell everyone I am a great pitcher. But everytime I take the mound, the ball ends up in the Fridays restaurant (deep left field at chase field) eventually, you are going to say, you know John, you aren’t a very good pitcher. – No matter how much I self promote, your eyes dont lie.