Fitz: “We haven’t capitalized”

Posted by Darren Urban on November 1, 2012 – 5:30 pm

When you have a superstar receiver, the story doesn’t go away. When he is going good, the stories are about Larry Fitzgerald dominating. When he isn’t piling up the stats, there’s usually a “what’s wrong” narrative playing out.

Fitzgerald knows it’s coming. Thursday he stressed that even though big plays down the field haven’t come about, “you can’t force it,” he said. “You’ll get turnovers.”

But one thing Fitz made clear while in his weekly media scrum was that, regardless of whatever issues there have been on the offense from the line to the injuries to the quarterbacks to the running game, the lack of big plays in the pass game (and I’d assume to him in particular) aren’t because of the plays but the players.

“You get favorable looks, but you have to capitalize,” Fitzgerald said. “We’ve had favorable looks thoughout this season, no question about it. We can go back over any game and I can show you tape. We’ve had shots, from St. Louis to Seattle to Minnesota, every game. We just haven’t capitalized on them.

“It’s simple execution. When we have those looks we have to make it happen.”

Fitzgerald is still on pace for a 1,000-yard season (his 45-511-3 translates to 90-1,022-6) but certainly he’s not producing the kind of numbers he or anyone else is used to from him. His 11.4 yards a catch is far off the career-high 17.6 yards a catch he had last season.

Not that it is going to bother him. Fitzgerald was asked if the struggles was messing with his psyche at all. Fitzgerald didn’t blink.

“No,” Fitzgerald said. “I know who I am. I know what I am. That’s not going to change week to week. (Regardless) numbers-wise, that won’t change. My focus is getting it going as a whole. That’s where I am. I’ll get my plays. It’s a long season. We’ve got 16 games, 17 weeks of ball. I’ll make some shots. It hasn’t been many so far, but it’s going to happen.”

Tags:

19 Responses to “Fitz: “We haven’t capitalized””

1. By haszafewcity on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

in all of my 50something years an athelete/personality like fritz has occured about as often as haleys comet. fritz IS the REAL DEAL. he should be the poster boy on how a professional should carry oneself (peterson take notice). football is a TEAM sport, fritz can’t do it alone (got q.b.? got o-line?). fritzs superbowl jersey sits in the closet as a reminder of what could be. will it ever be again? if it was up to fritz it would be. he would will it.

2. By Jerry on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

We all know that Fits will make it happen know matter what qb is under center. Eventually the oline will get fixed and the qb will notice who is open and get them the ball.

3. By haszafewcity on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

p.s. i am well aware there is no r in fitz.

4. By badoline on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Fiz is a good guy. He can be a positive example to young players in terms of handling their bussiness, but he is overated over the last 3 years, after warner left. He has the frenchise record for reception, which means there were lots of football thrown to him more than any WR. He is a good catcher, but not a good runner that makes him good.However, he is not anymore. He is soft and a “good guy” and good talker. On the last game he dropped balls and he scared to death of the Franks’ defense. He talks about the future instead of about now. This is a 16 game league. It is not baseball or basketball with more than 80 games in a season. Fiz: focus and finish; “gash dane”

5. By Andy Kw on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

I feel that Nate Potter is the real deal and was a steal in this years draft. It is time to bring D’Anthony Batiste starting time to an end. He did well for the first 3 games until defensive players finally started to figure out how to break him down. I understand if Grimm and Whiz leaves Bobbie Massie as one of the starting tackles because he needs this full season no matter the struggles so that he can improve next year. Batiste was only suppose to be a backup and nothing more. I want Potter and I think we need him now more than ever. He has the strength, he has the style, he has the mentality, what more can you get? Nate Potter is worth the start. If you guys want any other Offensive Tackle, start Pat McQuistan or trade your picks that you got from Minnesota from the A.J Jefferson trade for Bryant McKinnie. But I feel Nate Potter is the guy the Cardinals have been looking for for the past 3 seasons.

6. By KDubADub1324 on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

@haszafewcity

It’s FITZ dude…

7. By Eric Y on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

@Haszafewcity

As much as I appreciate you’re point, that was painful to read.

8. By Dynosoar on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

I want Fitgerald to have a Super Bowl ring in Arizona. I want him to have two or three. I’d love to see home field advantage for Arizona in a Super Bowl. I think it’s possible.

9. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

Who is fritz? Ohhhh you mean FITZ?!?! For some reason I thought you were talking about the round bald guy on the Dan Patrick show… Fritzy.

10. By wnycardfan on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

Love Fitz. Professional, great skill, awesome. He deserves the kudo’s for sure
    I wish the team was better, just for him alone if nothing else. I hate seeing him not winning and not getting the touches like he should.
    After the MNF implosion, Whiz said “they (players) better be ready to work hard on Wed”
    From what I’ve read seems like he’s cooled off since. Granted, they are banged up and you don’t want to injure them just because your ticked off. BUT…….are we getting some more intensity? Is someone getting their butt kicked? Is someone being benched or put on notice? I know, we can’t be privy to all the inner workings of the club, get it. But as its been in the past, seems like its same ole same ole and hope that the ball bounces our way in the next game. Last year the ball did bounce, a few times, in the last 7 games. Obviously there were some people stepping up too. But winning a few squeakers means good ball bounce on some occassions, and some of these “plays we leave on the field” finally we don’t leave on the field. BUT, when do they start with the consistency? Accountability? I’ve always said, hate to see the team lose, but if they are fighting hard (and you can tell), not doing same thing and getting crushed (run up the middle 7 tikmes, quit running), then I can swallow losing a lot better than blow outs or plain looking like high school team.
    Worried that we always have to pull the middle of season PEER PRESSURE to get this team to start playing.

11. By john the draft guy on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

I keep seeing people suggest we trade away Fitz. That is just plain stupid. I personally think, get him some help and lets get back to 2008.

So, sitting at the half way mark at 4-4, I am going to say we finish 6-10. here is what I would do as the cardinal GM in 2013.

First, Free agency;
    Forget about FAs Long, Albert and Clacy for your tackle pick ups. They arent going anywhere. I dont believe you build champions in FA. Just a piece here or there.But there are a couple of FAs I would look at
    1) Terrence Knighton- I dont think Williams has lived up to his first round status and we need to stop the run in the NFC west. (see Gore, Jackson and Lynch) Knighton is a beast at stopping the run in the middle.

2) DRC, CB- I think it would be nice to welcome a past card back home, thats why I would look at DRC again. If we are going to leave corners out on an island, DRC is the kind of cover guy I would want. This would allow PP to roll up and blitz at times. (ala Charles Woodson- This is how I thought they would use him when drafted and we had DRC)

The NFL draft;
    1) Luke Joekel LT, Texas A&M- end the mess at LT and get a guy who can play there a long time. Depending on the spot, this may take a trade up. I would be willing to lose my 3rd and look at a guard in the 4th. If not, Trade down and take my 1A (Jones) and then come back in the first for Jake Mathews OT.
    1A) Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma- I would then trade my 2nd round and 2014′s first (depending on the Joekel situation) to come back up in the first to land our franchise QB .
    3) Gabe Jackson- OG/OT , Miss st- a big athletic guard, who could eventually move out to tackle in a few years.

I would redo this line with
    LT- Joekel / Mathews
    LG- College or Jackson
    C- Sendlin
    RG- Massie
    RT – Brown
    TE- King and Housler
    WR – Fitz and Floyd
    slot- Roberts
    QB- Jones (yes, I would play my rookie)

RB is an issue, but that is where you look in the later rounds to add someone like Alfred Morris (6th round-2012)
    Another inside LB would be nice also- but you only have so many picks.

12. By Eric on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

What has changed since 4-0??? No Kevin Kolb. All the heat that kid took….and look where we were with him…and now without him. Franchise QB if we ever get an Oline to protect him.

13. By Eazy E on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

Fitz doesn’t deserve this ineptness at QB and O-Line. I feel for the brother because he is my favorite player and an amazing player and even a sorry QB and O-Line can hold the great Fitz down a little bit.

14. By Tucson Card on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

Fitzgerald made me proud during that last offensive posession of the 49ers game. He tried hard to get to the endzone, only to come up a little short. Never giving up like he did is what epitomizes greatness for me.

Tough times. Bear Down. Looking forward to a win at Lambeau.

15. By Blackbeardmonkey on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

Fatz is a perfect teammate. He tells it like it is without ever losing his cool.
    Frantz never throws his team under the bus, like so many prima donnas do. It’s always positive.
    Featz realizes that teams are keying on him specifically to make others beat them. So, even though he might not be leading the league in receptions, he’s still doing his job.
    Fikz may be the best on-the-field receiver in the NFL, but he certainly is the best off-the-field teammate in the NFL.
    Go Figz!

16. By jason marcus on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

Kolb dare i say it started to look good and his decision making got a lot better, he was just getting going i think he would have pulled out the rams win for us also, oh well

17. By clssylssy on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

@badoline…
    did it ever occur to you that it was the people around Warner that allowed him to have the success he enjoyed in the twilight of his career? I saw him play when he first came to Arizona and it wasn’t always pretty…he got booed off the field in place of Leinert on a couple of occasions! The ENTIRE football world…people who really know the game and what’s wha, consider Fitz the best in the NFL not just because of his numbers but because of the total package. He is the clean cut athlete everyone wants their child to emulate. He is a selfless humanitarian and leader on the field and in the lockeroom. There isn’t a team in the league or a coach who wouldn’t give their right arm and major bucks to have him with their franchise. He is respected by his fellow players and has a work ethic like no other. He’s not a media hog and never devalues or deskills his coaches or fellow players…WHAT ARE YOU ON ANYWAY? The Arizona Cardinals are blessed to have Larry Fitzgerald as the face of the franchise we can be proud of! Plus is he a team player and has a tenancity we seldom see these days. So, if there’s a way (and I still believe there is) Fitz will make it happen! THANK YOU LARRY FITZGERALD…WE LOVE YOU MAN!

18. By Scott H on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

Shame to see Fitz going down with the ship. Again.

2. Nov 2, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Friday before the Packers