Potter to start, Kolb “sooner” and some bye notes

Posted by Darren Urban on November 5, 2012 – 12:23 pm

With the bye week underway, the Cardinals have a slightly different schedule. Coach Ken Whisenhunt met with the media today but the players are off. They are in tomorrow (normally a Tuesday off day) for a practice and again Wednesday before being off Thursday through Sunday. But with this basically being the halfway break of the season, Whiz had some good tidbits coming out of his press conference:

– Nate Potter not only did “real well” at left tackle in Green Bay but he has likely earned the starting left tackle job. That is not a surprise. Whether he can keep it long-term — or, as I am already being asked, whether he could supplant the injured Levi Brown and have Brown move back to the right side in 2013 — are all questions that can’t be answered right now. Potter has had a good game and a good start is important. Let’s see how that plays out the rest of this season.

– That means two rookie tackles now, with Bobby Massie on the right side.

– Whiz talked more about making changes, but there wasn’t a lot of specifics. There won’t be either — even if Whiz does make changes, I’m sure they will stay fairly hush-hush for the sake of the Falcons’ game.

– Whisenhunt still doesn’t have a timetable on the return of quarterback Kevin Kolb (ribs), although he said it would be “sooner rather than later.” Practicing right now for Kolb would be about managing the soreness, which is always something kind of important when you are talking about a QB who can and will be hammered by 290-pound linemen. The next home game, Thanksgiving weekend against the Rams, would be the six-week mark since Kolb’s injury. Possible? I have no earthly idea right now.

– There was no update on the ankle injury to linebacker O’Brien Schofield, although Whiz confirmed Schofield’s comment that he’d have an MRI today. If he has a John Skelton-esque ankle problem, that could cost him a game, although if you’re going to get hurt, doing it right before the bye is supposed to be the right time.

– Running back Beanie Wells can’t play again until the Nov. 25 Rams game, but he can begin to practice this week. “Just seeing him go through the process … I’m sure there will be some soreness in the toe,” Whisenhunt said. “I just want him to get started so he can have a good week of practice next week (before the Falcons) as well.”

Whiz said he expects the off time has also helped Wells’ knee, which did not seem right even before his toe injury. “He’s got to put the helmet and the pads on and actually do it from a football perspective to know for sure, but it appears that way, which is a big benefit,” Whisenhunt said.

– I’ve gotten a lot of questions on this, but yes, it appears the Cards have released or are about to release offensive lineman Jeremy Bridges. Bridges confirmed this on an Instagram account. Bridges had been on injured reserve after hurting his thumb in the preseason, so the only way he could be released would be through an injury settlement. If so, he is free to sign with another team, and he did indicate in comments he is hoping to play again. There has been no official word but that is not a surprise. The Cardinals did not make an official announcement when they injury settled with quarterback Rich Bartel earlier this season. (UPDATE: The move was confirmed Monday afternoon when the NFL released its daily transactions list.)

– Wide receiver Michael Floyd will continue to get more playing time, Whisenhunt said. That is not a surprise at all.

– On the run to LaRod Stephens-Howling run into the line on third-and-1 at the Green Bay 2-yard line that was stuffed, forcing a field goal: “There is no question a bigger body can help in that situation, but yesterday’s (issue) wasn’t because of LaRod,” Whisenhunt said. “It was because we didn’t block in the hole the right way. We weren’t physical enough at the point. That’s bad technique. That’s not the scheme, that’s the execution of the scheme.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

60 Responses to “Potter to start, Kolb “sooner” and some bye notes”

1. By Mark on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Changes need to be made now. We still have a lot of football to play and there is a chance to finish strong again like last year.

2. By Rich on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

We should move Levi to right guard next season.

3. By TUCARDS on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

It’s ludicrous to think that La Rod could have gotten the first down running through the tackles. He is best doing sweeps or screens. The situational play calling has become predictive. I am sure defensive coordinators love game planning against the inferior play calling of Miller. Come on Whiz..this is what you did in Pittsburg.. You know what second rate looks like. AHGGGGGG. (VENTING)

4. By Albert on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Why doesnt Sherman play HB on short yardage downs with TE leading??

5. By Dynosoar on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Cda card fan,

That 1200 mile drive should be well worth it and you should be able to get into a snowball fight or two. That’s always a treat.

John the Draft Guy,

I’m a Tennessee Volunteers fan and would love to see Tyler Bray in Cardinal Red. To be sure, I’m not giving up on Kolb, Skelton or Lindley, however if Bray and Hunter (WR) had not been injured last season, Tyler Bray was on track to beat many if not all of Manning’s records in his four years. Although, I’ve been somewhat disappointed in what he’s shown this year.

Down with the Cowboys, Steelers, the Tide and those Gators!

6. By D on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Not too many head coaches in the NFL survive after 3 non winning seasons…Dan Reeves and John Fox probably are the closest thing to what Whiz is going to be dealing with rest of the year and the offseason. I don’t think Mr. B will pull the plug on Ken because that Superbowl holds alot of cred around here, but a few scapegoats will need to fall for Ken to stick around another year. Most likely Miller and Grimm. I don’t see the GM leaving and Ken staying around, most new GM’s want their hand picked guy.
    Which leads to the next question: Who are the 3 QB’s on the roster next year. Ken will want some experience if he has to keep his job and win 9 plus games, but I don’t see how they can go through a draft and not take a QB in the first 2 rounds. They can’t sign a expensive free agent QB with Kolb on the roster and with their recent history of free agent QB failures. Much will be determined the last 8 games by the play of John and Kevin. I believe Kevin’s contract is around 9 mil next year, too much to pay for a backup and too inconsistent to pay for a QB that is injured every 7th game. Is John keeping the spot warm until next years draft pick is ready??????

7. By Zach on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

It will be interesting watching Potter and Massie develop the rest of the year. It would be great if they both show improvement and look like starters. Even if both tackles play well, we still need to address 1 or both Guards, Colledge got blown up a few times that game.

More Floyd will be a good thing, and when Beanie comes back I hope he splits time with LSH and we use hypen the right way.

I think that goalline run was just a bad play call. Maybe QB sneek? Skelton is huge – do it out of a 3-4 WR set and see how they stack the D line.

Also – playcalling too predictable. How about a fake WR bubble screen like Atlanta did. We need something like that to keep the D on their toes.

WR’s – please catch the damn ball

Defense – Please tackle

Go Cards

8. By DontTakeLoses on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Potter looked really good, rewind a few plays, looks real … so far.

Not physical enuff on goal line… stuffed like a pimento in an olive.

Potter’s play explains why no trade..

9. By casey on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

hey darren just heard that the chiefs released stanford rout any thought on him fitting hortons d or the chance the cards at least take a look at him

10. By Dynosoar on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

My take from the game.

1. Send LaRod to the outside on runs and screens. In open space he’ll make huge plays.

2. Only 2 sacks! That’s wonderful grand news. Just like the old days of our first two games. And against Clay Mathews at that. Go Nate!

3. Elite quarterbacks throw for first downs and touchdowns on third down. I don’t know if that’s the play calling or the QB, but I do know they don’t check down or throw screens.

4. I saw Fitzgerald targeted and I really liked that.

5. I saw three huge plays that became broken plays when Doucet dropped the ball.

6. The sack on Rodgers was sweet. Rodgers’ 73 yarder, not so sweet.

7. Groves, Groves and Groves. My count was 25 yards in penalties and that 15 yarder hurt. All avoidable.

8. Elite QB’s throw for first downs and touchdowns on third down. (I know this is a repeat, but it’s so true.)

9. William Powell and Patrick Peterson are struggling on returns. What changed from last year?

10. Up till about 4 minutes remaining, I felt we could win.

11. If we’re to use LaRod, send him to the outside, not up the middle. (Again, I repeat myself.)

12. I’d like to see Byrd playing. I watched him move the chains in pre-season and I know; those are just scrimmage games. I also know if we’re to win games, we need to move the chains and find the end zone.

13. Anyone who’s shared the dinner table with me knows I feel 13 is a great number. After all, a dozen is much better with a Baker involved. (The number also recalls a QB who ran the best red zone offense at the time. First downs and touchdowns on third down is key.)

11. By badoline on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

It is good to see a rookie, Potter, getting a chance to show what he can do. My recommedation for coach witz:
    1. Because the nature of our RB & Oline, the game plan needs to be on the outside more often
    2. Bench droppers and start rookie WR Bird and Floyd
    3. Bench 21 on special team
    4. Wiz: don’t panic inside eventhough you look calm and origanized on the surface.

12. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

The obvious change is Floyd for Doucet, but Micheal is better suited for the slot, so can Roberts play wide?
    Dan Williams has been a non factor, maybe David Carter at nose?
    Greg Toler, if healthy, for William Gay?
    And something has to be done at PR; for some reason Peterson just isn’t being up to snuff. Not 2011 numbers, of course, but just being an average PR.

And that’s just the players, other factors may need to alter also. Darren, it’s been a hot-button topic on here for at least a couple of weeks… do you see the playcalling being as stilted as some of the fans do?

13. By philly cards on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

I think this is rod graves turning knobs.because whiz always stays with his guys.

14. By suspence716 on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

The cardinals won’t be good again until whiz and his sorry coaching staff are gone and thats the bottom line!!!! P.S. – the defense is getting worse and worse by the week and the special teams is following suit.

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

casey –

RE: Routt

I’m sure they would look at him. But I wouldn’t expect him to sign. He hasn’t played well of late.

16. By Darren Urban on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Playcalling

No, not really. Would I quibble here and there? Sure. But generally, I don’t see it. And when Fitz basically says last week it’s not the playcalling, it’s hard to jump on that bandwagon.

17. By D on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

My updated draft for BigRed in 2013

Cards could finish around the 9-12 draft pick in the spring with a 6-10 record.
    Let’s say the Cards miss out on the top 2 QB’s thanks to KC, Browns and Jags doing worse. Let’s also say Potter plays well the rest of the season to be the starting LF T next year. Moving Brown to Right T next year. I would try Massie at RG next year, with he and Brown blocking out the sun on the right side.
    So, if the Cards don’t take a Left T or QB in the first round, I see the following that could happen:
    Round 1– Manti-Teo ILB–he and Washington could be as good a combo as up in SF. Also, I don’t see AZ drafting a G/C that high in the first round.
    Round 2–L. Jones QB–the QB that would take John S job away by training camp
    Round 3–S. Taylor RB– bye bye Beanie
    Round 4– A. Bailey LG
    Round 5–D. Taylor DE
    Round 6– Ray Ray Armstrong SS (big risk but with C. Campbell taking him under his arm to help, the kid could be the next Adub with good coaching)
    Free agency: Sign J. Cook TE (bye bye Heap)
    and get lucky to keep Horton another year as DC

18. By DontTakeLoses on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Cards can still finish 10-6 or 9-7. Too early to talk draft, o ye of little faith ;0

19. By Eric Y on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

This was by far the most disappointing loss this year. They were in the game and really needed a win here. I couldn’t believe the dropped passes! Early Doucet is establishing a solid reputation for himself as being unreliable. Man, when the Cardinals lose, they really like to stick it to us fans and lose a lot! I still think that the season is salvageable… If beanie comes back and finally has his knee issue worked out, he could change everything for this team. We can get a run game going!

Did Beanie get any surgery on the foot, or has it just been a healing process? I forget. If he had any surgery on it, I retract my statement about him changing everything for the team. I will be skeptical about him until he gets through a full game on it.

20. By dan on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Well, I was at Lambeau for the first time and I had a birds eye view and I can’t tell u how many times on 1st down Fitz was covered 1 on 1. Thats what I call crap playcalling and I’m tired of these dumb WR screens that don’t work anymore. I was frustrated with the lack of pass rush in the 2nd half and I’m losing some faith in Lenon, either than or the D-line isn’t doing its job. Dockett didn’t do much, hasn’t been doing much, Dan Williams I thought would be better and again, Lenon takes on 2 many blockers instead of firing in on the ball carrier. Adrian Wilson needs to learn how to wrap up and offensively the playcalling isn’t the greatest. I was bummed about Colledge, I thought the rookie Tackle played decent to be honest, a lot better than Batiste. Floyd drop was a HUGE drop, that play changed the game. He has trouble catching easy passes, not reliable……..yet. Andre Roberts is better than I thought, Early Doucet sucks. Had a great time in Lambeau tho, just wish we didn’t suck…..hehe.

21. By Darren Urban on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Eric Y –

RE: Beanie

He did not have surgery, as far as I know. He has just rested the toe.

22. By dan on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

I can believe Fleming allowed James Jones to catch that TD. Just knock the ball down, how hard is that? Unbelievable how defensive backs choke constantly on easy plays. That was highly avoidable, in complete position and he misses the ball, just amazes me.

23. By dan on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

I CAN’T believe….

24. By in fitz we trust on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Here’s your golden ticket Nate. Show us your better than your 7th round status.

25. By john the draft guy on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Since you are a Vol fan, my only question is, is Tyler Bray inconsisitent . I’ve watched him 2 + games this year and he seems great and questionable in the same game. He is tall with a big arm.
    Since you follow it more, any comment on that.

Interesting comment about technique instead of scheme. Hmmm. Players not getting it or Grimm not coaching it? Another thing we will have to wait for.

Did you catch this subtle moment on the sideline. Skelton was coming to the sideline on a timeout and you could tell Whiz was upset but then controlled himself before Skelton got there. Miller comes up and begins blasting Skelton and Whiz told Miller to calm down and he got everyone focused on the play call. Wish I could reference the time in the game.

That little moment that I caught was some good coaching. Save that drama for the film room and focus on the task at hand. Moments like that are truly moments a lot of HS and college coaches should notice.

This is why you will never hear Whiz throw Grimm under the bus (or even anyone else)

26. By john the draft guy on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

“D”
    Manti Teo could be a great pick. Everything rest though on the Oline, where we are picking and Which QB they love and where the can get him.

For instance, if we went 4-12, we might have a shot at Geno Smith. If we are 6-10 and picking 10th, Teo is too high.
    Personally, If we are 10-15, trade down, provided Potter pans out (we will see).
    As we approach the 20′s , Teo will be there. Pairing him with Washington would be truly something to see.

I keep watching Landry Jones and trying to figure out why he will not go in the 1st round and I have nothing. He just keeps looking solid. His two things I see right now is he is not under center, mostly shotgun, and if the pocket begins to get shaky, he can rush his throw and be inaccurate. Other than that, he looks every bit of the part of a franchise guy to me.

27. By joecb91 on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

So, in response to the bottom comment about LSH. I feel like it doesn’t make sense to keep running the little guy up the middle in short yardage, and I think it would be better to use Powell, Smith, or even Sherman in some of those situations and I have seen a lot of people that feel the same way.

Do you think that could happen until Beanie comes back?

28. By Scott H on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

In regard to the recent time off being good for Wells’ knee…well, he had an entire off-season of time off and that really didn’t seem to help. Just not a lot of optimism about him at this point. He had injury problems in college and he’s had them with consistency since being in the NFL. It seems like the BEST we can hope for with him is that he can play through the pain and have a decent season like he did last year. Assuming that may be the case…no thanks. We need to be better at that position. It doesn’t appear that Ryan Williams is really the answer, either.

I swear, why can’t WE find these guys like Doug Martin???

All in all, a better effort than I expected yesterday, but…doesn’t matter, we’re still 4-5 after losing 5 in a row. And, honestly, does anyone really think the Packers were truly up for this game??? I doubt they were. Not a division rival and not a team that appeared to be a real threat, especially on the road in cold weather. Aaron Rogers is so good, he can throw 4 TD’s on a bad day, even with his best WR’s not playing.

29. By Scott H on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

D -

Interesting thoughts. Obviously, a lot has to change with this team because the fact is, the team just has not been competitive since Kurt Warner left town. Yeah, the D was the driving force behind a strong finish to last season and a good start to this one. But is it sustaining? No, not really. Because that is not good enough. The offense is woeful. The positions of QB, RB, and most of the O-line range anywhere from un-certain to just flat-out sub-standard. They are capable of a good game occasionally if / when everyone has a decent day at the same time. But what we are seeing is not a mirage. It just isn’t very good, period. And what we are seeing is the cumulative result of general philosophies of coaching and personnel evaluation & decision-making that seem to result in the same result when we don’t have a Kurt Warner to bring it up to another level.

I’m ready for changes.

30. By NYCardinals on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

john the draft guy,

I noticed the “confrontation” as well, but I interpreted it somewhat differently. Though, I completely agree with your final assessment.

I thought I saw Whisenhunt looking off screen, and he was calming (my guess) Miller. In the next few frames, Miller comes from that direction, and Skelton comes from the field of play. They had been jawing from a distance, and once they converged, I was sure I lip-read a “shut the ‘F’ up” from the O.C. (I’ll have to re-watch it to confirm that).

As you said, Whisenhunt was collected and in-charge. He wasn’t about to lose more precious ticks on the clock in a time-out — when they had been forced to call it because of a miscommunication between O.C. and QB, in the first place.

Game Rewind won’t be available until after the Monday Night game, but I want to look at it all again when I get the chance. I don’t remember what came before or after, but I agree with you. It was something that resonated with me — even after the game.

31. By Brailian Fan on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Finally!!! The LT change!!! What did take Whiz so long??? Just a note to remember: Nate Potter’s first play of the game was that huge completion from Skelton to Roberts, after the offense struggled the entire game, where he stood his ground against… Clay Matthews!!! those are good news…

32. By scubasteve12 on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Need to change John Skelton. Way too many 3 and outs. Slow starts are killing the team.Yea he is playing ok. But he isnt making any of the throws that need to be made to win games. He completed 23 of his 46 passes. Coincidently the 23 he missed were all the ones that were needed to be made to win the game. Yes the throw to fitz was good. But fitz was the one who fought for the TD no Skelton. So thats all Fitz. Yea he completed a 40 Yrd bomb to Roberts. But it was underthrown. Had it not Been Roberts would of ran it into the endzone. Put Lindley in just to see how he does. If he stinks it up put Skelton back in till Kolb comes back in. Look at the stats between John and Kevin. Kolb is way better.

33. By Credit Card on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Earlier post had it correct. Move Levi Brown to right guard. Massie is faster than Brown nad has better foot speed. Based on Brown’s size and speed — he needs to be on the inside. Our two guards (in my opinion) are far worse than our two tackles. Potter may not have the brute strength, but he does have the quickness to handle DE and OL coming off the edge. Potter at least has the ability to get in front of an edge pass rusher and slow them down by just being in the way. Batise and Brown do not have the leg turn-over rate to even get to the point of attack on time. Unfortunately, I don’t think Batise has NFL ability.

Massie is too getting better and slightly quicker. Huge coaching error putting Brown and then Batise as slow moving tackles — not a wonder they gave up so many sacks.

The SF game clearly showed the guards not being able to hold the line of scrimmage. both were repeatedly pushed back 1 to 1 1/2 yards each and every play. Can’t win if your guards are getting in the way of your own RBs and QBs

34. By georgiebird on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Time to give Potter some time to see if he is any good or if he is just better than Batiste. A 7th round draft choice should not be able to come into the league and start at LT, a most demanding position. So Potter’s ascent is a feel good story and keeps interest in the season BUT it is a sad commentary on the overall talent on this team.

35. By Bryth on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

@john the draft guy I
    I dont know why you would want Landry Jones or Geno Smith. Jones is incredibly overrated. He doesnt look any better than what we currently have at QB. Geno Smith has way over inflated stats from the Air Raid offense of WVU, and that is becoming more apparent as the season is progressing. Id rather we draft someone like Taylor Lewan or an insanely good tackle in the first, and go for Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, Aaron Murray or Collin Klein (im expecting him to be in the 2-3 rd projected by the end of the season) in the second round. It doesnt matter if we would draft the next Brady or Brees if they wont fix the line. The oline must be the first priority or we will pretty much be sending our QBs to their graves. I dont care if just Grimm goes or of the whole shabang all the way up to Rod Graves gets canned, there needs to be change, and the Bidwills needs to stop being content with .500 coaches

36. By Darren Urban on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Joecb -

RE: Hyphen in the line

I didn’t get that impression when Whisenhunt was talking about it.

37. By clssylssy on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

In the past few years K-State has been a honey pot of talent that I keep seeing pop up around the NFL. They are now #2 behind Bama in the BCS and #3 overall nationally. They are under the radar for most scouts who always look at USC, LSU, Florida State, Oklahoma. Seems like our Scouts need to get a little more creative the way other teams have, not going after the big names so much and more for the silent but deadly talents. I think we have some really talented guys but sometimes size matters and some of our guys look like junior high kids playing against the pros…it’s no wonder they get crushed and we don’t get anywhere. LSH is good and he’s fast, he can even slip through little cracks on occasion, but, when I look at the RB corp that the Saints play the difference is major. I hate the fact that this “QB competition” has been such a breeding ground for a polarization within the fan base. John Skelton has the size and the physical strength we need on this team and Kevin Kolb has his own skill set but he’s another smaller guy when we need size. It would be nice to see our team come out of the bye and play “lights out” against the Falcons but, for fans to feel that beating the Falcons is the final countdown is crazy. Perhaps if more of an effort had been made to resign Todd Haley, he would have done for us what he has done against some steep odds with the Steelers…coulda, woulda, shoulda…things are always better in hindsight!

38. By pacardfan on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

I like Hypen a lot but I was pleased to see William Powell and how good he ran when he finally had his shot to start after the season ending for R. Williams. Powell had a good game and the following week, he was not used much at all since. I know Hyphen has earned the starting job, but is there a reason why the Cards aren’t using both Hyphen and Powell a lot to get the running game going? They bothare very dangerous if they are put in the right roles. I know Powell fumbled the 2nd game he played, but he still looks good.

39. By jason marcus on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

I wouldn’t mind seeing Lindley in there for the falcons game but thats not gonna happen ,if we can take down the falcons and I believe we can I believe we can win 9 maybe ten also if Kolb and beans are back for the Rams , and dfence plays only sick beast mode the rest of season.

40. By E.F.Huddle on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

scubasteve12 ..give it a rest. Kolb is not way better,he’s way injured! SKelton put the ball on target,he cant run out there and make the catch himself.

Take care of the O-Line problem,and the running game AND PASSING GAME WILL REAPPEAR !

41. By GW on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

YES! It’s time for a coaching change. here’s why. The cards have no identity whiz came in trying to make the cards the arizona steelers that’s the downfall because we all know the cards are not the steelers.instead of finding their own identity he try to make them into another team in which he failed miserably.let’s go back to the 2008 SB run warner and haley did not play steeler ball. the steelers don’t play steeler ball they look like the pittsburgh cardinals of 2008 Hmmmmm. i wonder why. all you whiz fans just look at the past 3 yrs. two 6 games losing streaks back to back,qb carousel,weak coaching staff and the worst o-line in the league just to name a few.The SB pass is over BECAUSE THE CARDS DO HAVE A IDENTITY “LOSING”

42. By john the draft guy on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Bryth,
    Fair to say if we dont fix the line, no QB can survive. That is why I also have said the first pick should be a LT and trade back up into the lower round for Jones at QB.

I have said all year that Nate Potter was our wild card. If Potter can claim this LT spot, the need there goes away. If he can not, then yes, a LT is needed. I am in the minority and think Levi should be welcomed back at RT and Massie should move into RG.

If Potter does claim the spot, I am for trading down to the lower half of the first round and landing guard/center Barrett Jones (our new LG) and picking up another 2nd. Then combining our 2nd with our third and come back to the end of the 1st (you see that done every year) and landing Landry Jones.
    “D” – above disagrees and is more interested in Manta Teo and then taking Jones. That is very hard to argue with since Teo is such a great player.

As for Jones not being better than our current QBs, why do you say that? Im curious, cuz I have watched most of Jones games and he looks to me like a quality QB. I have said he reminds me of Aikman. He is very accurate, strong armed pocket passer who reads the field. No, he is not Cam Newton, dodging rushers and making plays with his feet, he is more of the pocket guy like Carson Palmer.

Geno Smith is the real deal. He will battle Barkley for the top spot. Sometimes people get team results mixed up with player potential. Dan Marino was terrible his senior year, throwing more picks than TDs. Shula saw what he could be. Geno can be a dynamic pocket passing QB with a huge arm.

Tyler Bray is very interesting and as I said above, is a guy I want to see more. At 6’5″, in that Vol uniform, throwing rockets all over the field, he looks a little like Peyton. Of course, he is much more inconsistent than Peyton ever was. But Bray could and most likely will be a 1st or top half 2nd. Tyler Wilson is a system guy with some attitude issues from what I have seen. Aaron Murray, At 6’1″, I worry about size, but he has a strong arm and could be like Wilson in Seattle.

I personally don’t believe any QB in this draft are as good as the big 3 last year. But there is some quality guys and Jones has been the guy who stands out to me.

43. By Andy Kw on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

My guy Potter. My wish finally came true, Nate Potter beat out Batiste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. By Darren Urban on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

pacard –

RE: Powell

I do not know why they aren’t using Powell more. I think the main reason he was used a lot in the one game he did well was because Stephens-Howling was still slowed some by injuries. Now that he is healthy, they are sticking with him.

45. By Kevin S on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think our QB problem is about size.

46. By gocards on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

LSH is talented, but why can’t our coaching staff use him in all facets like the Saints do with Darren Sproles? I know he is hurt, but when he is healthy, they do a masterful job with the routes he runs to get him the ball in space. LSH seems like that type of player to me.

Darren-

Concerning the QB situation, has anyone looked at Sean Renfree from Duke? He’s a local kid who seems to have the skill set and tools, but he’s simply lost in a losing program.

Finally, I have to agree that the O-Line MUST be addressed and the idea of moving Brown (when healthy) inside may be a pretty good one. Your thoughts, Darren?

47. By Darren Urban on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

gocards –

RE: Renfree/Brown move

I am sure they know about Renfree. What they think about him, I have no idea.

I do not expect they would move Brown inside.

48. By Eric on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Want to win?? Get Kolb back healthy. When he does come back…and they resume their winning ways…will he finally get some credit??? We’ll see.

49. By sarah on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Hey ScubaSteve 4 you . Dropped passes 7 in total hardly helped.

50. By scubasteve12 on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Sarah- 7 dropped passes because ball was underthrown, overthrown, behind, ahead, or player was surrouned by defenders. Skelton hasnt improved since being here. Still 50% competions for him. He hasnt won a game yet. Something you Skelton lovers were obsessed over in the offseason. Look at the stats between kolb and skelton. That says it all. 2 Td’s to 5 INT’s is not a good. However 8 Td’s to 3 Int’s is better. That link you sent me was completely one sided. And not even a sports website. Unfortunately this team has to play with Skelton cause there are no other options. Bottom line is Cards are loosing cause skelton cant play an entire game.

51. By scubasteve12 on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Also Kolb was able to win games with no running game and no oline. Sacked 27 times and was able to pull out wins. People keep saying he wasnt playing really good his 4 games. Well he had no oline to help. Not his fault. Skelton is gettin more time, less sacks and somewhat of a running game and still cannot put more than 3 or 7 points on the board. Team needs to move on from Skelton next year.

52. By Mike in Mesa on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Scuba Steve. Why are you blaming this on Skelton? He had a good game in my opinion. How many of the missed passes were his fault. It looked to me like he hit guys with good passes and they dropped them. Way too many of them. The receivers Doucet and a couple by Housler were the difference in the game. Even Fitz dropped one. Floyd, Skelton, Roberts, and some of the oline should be getting kudos. I’m still puzzled why Powell is getting no carries. He had success in preseason and performed when he got to play a few games ago. And now he gets no carries. The LSH run call at the goal line was a horrible call. Most of the Cardinals success this year has been bouncing it to the outside. Is this run up the middle stuff with one of the smallest backs in the league smart. If so maybe we can get Mugsy Bogues to run for us. He”s about the same size as LSH I think.

53. By Mike in Mesa on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

ScubaSteve did you actually watch the game? The announcers even noted the receivers weren’t helping Skelton. Once again most of the passes were on the money. Easy catches most. I’m encouraged by the way Skelton played. Horrible play by the receivers and he got 300+ yards and a Td with only one interception. Even Kolb this season only had one 300+ yard game.

54. By scubasteve12 on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Im blaming Skelton so much because when we won with him at Qb last season he was glorified and given all the credit. But when Kolb wins its a team win not because of Kolb. I wouldnt be so hard on Skelton if it wasnt for all these fans glorifying him into something he is not. Yes i admit skelton had some pretty dead on passes. But others were not. And you cannot have that kind of inconsistency.
    If skelton was as good as everyone keeps saying he is some of these games might of actually been won. So pretty much peoples love lust over skelton is what is pissing me off when he is not that good.

55. By nodavis2000 on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

@ScubaSteve12

I saw a lot more errant passes from Rodgers than Skelton in the game. Does Rodgers bad passing mean that he’s inconsistent and a bad QB??? Of course not!!! Could Skelton play better, yes he can. But come on, you’re saying you’re “so hard” on him cause of other fans “glorifying him”??? I’m not a Skelton or Kolb fan, I want whoever the coaches want in. But saying that Skelton lost us the game is ridiculous. Look:
    1) we had no running game
    ***I also didn’t like Miller’s play calling, to be honest
    2) most of the dropped passes hit the receivers IN BOTH HANDS (this is the NFL, if both hands are hit, no matter if it’s behind, in front, below, on top, the ball should be caught)
    3) the D did allow FOUR touchdowns
    ***Want a recipe to not win a game??? Let the other team score 30+ points on you…
    4) Special Teams didn’t play good. That freaking Cobb ran back a good number of yards on punt returns.

Our loss to the Packers was more like a Team Loss than anything else.

56. By Eazy E on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Nate Potter is starting and he should because Batiste has been awful but I hope y’all don’t think we have the next Peters, J. Thomas, or Jake Long without him proving he is better than Batiste or Massie for that matter. He may have done well in the Green Bay game, but that is 1 game and without Clay for a good portion of the game and no gameplanning for him either. Kolb maybe coming back sooner rather than later is not news either. We don’t have our guy at QB and it won’t matter with a terrible O-Line either. Both are below average and the O-Line is way below average.

57. By Jetstreamgreen81 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Changes that need to be made going forward.
    1) Keep Potter @ LT and see if he is the real deal. He looked great @ GB

2) Start Floyd and give Byrd a chance and put Doucett’s overrated pass dropping butt on the bench and let him rot there.

3) Sit Lenon and start Stuart Bradley. Man was a beast in the preseason and hasn’t seen a sniff on the field in the regular season. Lenon is slow and old and proved it on the long td pass. We brought Bradley here and paid the man. Play him and see what he can do.

4) Scrap the 3-4 and try some 4-3 with Dockett and Campbell @ DE and Carter and Williams in the middle. Washingon @ mlb and Groves and Acho or Bradley @ OLB.

5) Activate Kelemante and put him @ guard instead of Colledge. Leave Ohnberger where he is and see what happens with the line.

6) Sit Gay and play Flemming or Toler if healthy and see what happens.

7) Please change the predictable playcalling and get Fitz the ball more.

8) Find the defense, stop the running game( meaning tackle the ball carrier), and play pass defense better.

If we are going to go down, changes need to be made to see what we have and will need to get to improve in the future.

58. By Brazilian Fan on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

U guys gotta be kidding me… sit COLLEDGE? perhaps Snyder, but sit Colledge? he is doing very well. must improve in the run, but goes well in the pass, started from day 1, and is a good leader to play besides a rookie LT

59. By Eric on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I agree steve, It’s obvious now..that he had time to learn offense. Kolb is the guy when healthy. He can get us to playoffs. if he’s here for a rull season. They must focus on the oline.

2. Nov 5, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Potter to start, Kolb “sooner” and some … | The Bird Watching Blog