Schofield is out for season

Posted by Darren Urban on November 5, 2012 – 7:13 pm

Earlier Monday, Coach Ken Whisenhunt said he didn’t know the status of linebacker O’Brien Schofield’s ankle injury and was waiting for an MRI. The news apparently wasn’t good. Schofield tweeted tonight his season was over.

“I’m out for the season. I’m sorry Cardinal fans. But I will be back and stronger then ever. This yr was just a preview of (what) is to Come,” was Schofield’s Twitter message.

UPDATE: Whisenhunt confirmed Schofield’s season-ending injury Tuesday.

Schofield got hurt after getting twisted up with teammate Darnell Dockett as the two were going after a sack of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (pictured below). Rodgers escaped, and now the freak play has sidelined Schofield.

It’s a blow to the Cardinals’ defense after they finally got Schofield in the starting lineup this season. Quentin Groves is the logical player to replace Schofield in the starting lineup. The Cardinals also have Jamaal Westerman and rookie Zack Nash, but you’d figure they will use the bye week to add someone to the roster. It’s also a tough blow for Schofield, who’s been dealing with injuries since he came into the league, most notably the ACL injury he suffered right before he was drafted in 2010. Schofield has worked hard to make himself into a viable starter in the league. While it’s uncertain exactly what happened to his ankle that would end his season, it sounds like it will be another long road to recovery for Schofield.

Tags: , , ,

43 Responses to “Schofield is out for season”

1. By SteveG on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

If it wasn’t for bad luck, wouldn’t have no luck at all….

Swift and full recovery!

2. By alexmannsportskings on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
    Well hopefully we’ll get to see some of Zach Nash.

3. By Credit Card on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Bummer and bad luck for Schofield It appears Schofield really likes and wants to play in the NFL and most notiably be an impact player

4. By badoline on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

This news is bad for Obi and the organization. Thats bad to hear.

5. By georgiebird on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Schofield is another Cardinals’ linebacker that can’t seem to break through the ceiling. Our LBs are either too old, or too small or too injury prone. None of our linebackers is the whole package. Sad thing is the 3-4 requires that ALL our LBs be monsters and we can’t even find one.
    The Stewart Bradley situation has to be explained. Is he in Whiz’ doghouse? He looked decent in preseason. It’s not like he’s trying to crack into an All-Pro unit- something smells rotten!

6. By cdj on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

damn, thats all i can say

7. By toddcard on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

we suck again

8. By Kurt on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Quentin can cut back on the costly penalties

9. By BIG RED on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

You will be missed, but we know you will come back stronger. Love the way you played.

10. By Jzoully on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Thank you OB for giving this season your all…As a fan that’s all I could ask for. Make a full recovery and become the pro-bowl player we as fans know your capable of.

11. By BirdGang on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

You cant suggest for these rookies to NOW get PT. Thats been Wiz’s plan all along, they need to get used to the NFL and show why they got drafted when its their turn. We have rookies showing progress, a bye week, why cant we watch and believe we can win like we did in the beginning of the season and enjoy games, instead of talking about our potetial draft position. I believe, do you?

12. By Mr Robles on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Scho thanks for the hard work you have put in, wish so quick healing time brother. Damn when I saw him I knew it wasnt good ugh. Lets go Groves its your time to step up.

13. By dan on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Schofield gets hurt in Wisconsin…………..makes sense. I thought he was are best defensive player…………..there goes the season. Oh wait, I said that have Feely missed that FG against Buffalo.

14. By wnycardfan on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

That stinks. Another blow to the team. Hopefully he fully recovers. Just another step for the team in the wrong direction…….

15. By Hammy on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Great person SCHO is and a good player. He will be missed but I think Groves has a lot to prove so h3 gonna bring that heat! #BIRDGANG

16. By jason marcus on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

yeah Groves is ridiculous with penalties , but he makes plays and is pure beast most of the time.

17. By john the draft guy on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Tough break. The kid was having his best year as a pro and was starting to finally claim his spot at OLB.

What a nice pickup Groves was.

18. By john the draft guy on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Georgiebird,

Reggie Walker out played Bradley in preseason. I praised the Bradley pickup, but for what ever reason, the guy has not been able to step up.

Washington is considered a candidate for player of the year. Top 5 in tackles and sacks. If he gained 20 pounds would you finally like him?

19. By cardsalltheway on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Why aren’t you and your peer’s questions to Ken W. more consistent?

Ken W.’s record -500 ~ he’s lost more games than he’s won.

Whisenhunt: ‘We are going to get back to winning’

Hahahahaha!!!!!

20. By cardsalltheway on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Hey Ken W., like William Powell after a good game be sure you bench Michael Floyd next game Okey-dokey? I knew I could count on ya! Oh and BTW, it’s about time you listened to me about Nate Potter. What did I tell ya? Sheeesh!

21. By in fitz we trust on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

dang….. well, maybe Washington ends up with 15 sacks now.

We have had our fair share of injuries this season, and at least we know where the focus point needs to be this coming off-season.

Its time for a renovation, the old pipes have been leaking for too long; mold is building up.

22. By john the draft guy on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

I have seen a constant stream of comments all year regarding our QBs.
    Kolb, Skelton, Lindley or someone else.

So in the spirit of election day, Im curious who is the fan favorite?

Is it the guy who was brought in with that big trade who has battled injuries but answered some critics this year about his toughness. Kan Kevin Kolb be the guy?

Things havent been easy for Big John. He wasnt picked up by a big college and then wasnt drafted till the 5th round. But he won our hearts over last year in a Tebow kind of way. Is John Skelton ready to lead us into the 21st century (or at least the next few years)

We have a grass roots candidate who, despite being a 6th round pick and a rookie is getting a impressive following. Can this San Diego kid provide what is needed to move this team forward.

Or is the vote for getting rid of them all and starting with someone new. A fresh face with new possibilities.

Maybe no one votes, but with so many people saying Big John wins games, We would win if Kolb was in or Bring in Lindley, I’d be curious which way this board slants.

Darren, any idea who you would say is the fan favorite? I know, the guy who is on the bench, right?

23. By Darren Urban on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Fan favorite

That’s probably a safe assumption.

24. By Dave Chaney on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

As our season continues to look bleaker and bleaker, I caught myself peeking at the McShay/Kiper draft previews for 2013 (also a sure indicator for me that this team is going nowhere). Not great news for Big Red fans there either. Of the top 10 prospects, 7 are defensive players and 3 are offensive players (1 QB and 2 OG). The good thing is there will surely be a QB for us to take with our early draft choice (of course I am basing this on our 5-11 or 6-10 season). Geno Smith of WV or Matt Barkley of USC are the top rated at the moment (please don’t take another USC disappointment). The top OT is rated 14th overall, Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M. Check this out…of the top 32 players McShay lists, there are no RBs so we can only hope to acquire an impact RB via trade or FA. Very gloomy forecasts for the future on election day.

25. By Kevin S on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

JTDG,

At the start of the year I would have said Kolb. I still would like to believe he could be the guy, but after 3 straight years of not making it through even half a season, I don’t think I’d pay him to stay (not without a contract restructuring).

I think Skelton is no more than a serviceable backup. This year is the exact opposite of 2011 for Skelton — last year he came in at the perfect time (2 Rams games and a reeling Eagles team out of the first 4 games) and we squeaked out 3 wins and people started drinking the Tebow-like Koolaid. This year, after getting hurt in the opener, he came back at the toughest stretch in our schedule — and unless we pull off a major upset in two weeks, he’ll have lost 4 starts in a row and in all of them we faced significant deficits and, while some may argue the games were winnable, we were never really in a strong position to win. I think we can put to rest the idea that Skelton “just wins games.” I think people want to see Lindley but I don’t think there are many who actually expect him to be “the guy.” I suspect what would happen is what happened with Skelton in 2010… objectively he would do poorly (Skelton completed less than half his passes in his 4 starts), but some would claim they saw “glimpses” of great play and would be calling on him to become the guy.

But unless Lindley came in and excelled from day 1 (highly unlikely), overall I think the fan base, having been down this road before, probably wants to see the team invest a high draft pick in a QB.

26. By DanishCard on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

I disagree. I think we are doing a lot better than in the years before. And it is not like the pass rush is a weak part of this team. And what about Washington – is he not the whole package? Acho is a second year player, who is on pace for 7-8 sacks. Schofield is basically also a second year player and was progressing nicely. Lennon is a nice veteran….our recent bad play on defense is more db’s missing tackles

27. By ndpenner on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

I’m all out of positivity for the moment….Well…take that back…Fitz did get my wife’s fantasy team 14 points

28. By D on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

I hope everyone voted today!

29. By Blair on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Is there a chance they give zastudil the boot after the packers game? For how much the cards punt i would think you cant have three shanks at the 50 in one game. There were way more terrible punts than good ones

30. By ronnie on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

i dont hat georgie bird is talking about that we dont have good line backers i dont know who you been watching but #58 D Washington is the real deal and has proven he has speed, can cover ,and sacks the QB what more can you asked for and Acho is coming into his own we have a very talented LB core cant ask for much more and they are young.

31. By joe67 on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Defense, one sack. Only a handful of hurries, and they turned into long runs. No passes knocked down (not even close……… and what happened to adub?? no one is asking about him, oh yeh, he was invisible. One of my favorites, but he doesn’t even get mentioned in the broadcast, except for missing tackles.

32. By georgiebird on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy,
    Stick to the draft-
    1) Bradley deserves a chance -he played as good as any linebacker in preseason. I’m not making Bradley an All-Pro but he seems to be a decent LB on na team with linebacker problems.
    2) on Washington- no doubt that DW has a tremendous burst and can be as good as anyone in certain blitz packages. But as an every down inside linebacker in a 3-4 set, he is average at best. As an example- on Adrian Peterson’s TD run, DW was pushed aside like he was a high school kid. Do you really think DW is 6-2 and 230? I doubt it very much. As an outside linebacker in a 4-3, DW would be more productive.

On Skelton- he just got thru playing @ Minn, SF and at GB. In all the games, our defense was horrible in the 1st- what do you want from JS. He’s playing from behind, mostly on the road, and his receivers and RBs are way below average as a group.

33. By Darren Urban on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

georgie —

RE: DWash

See, you say stuff like “Do you really think DW is 6-2 and 230? I doubt it very much” and you kill your own credibility. I am 6-3, 195 pounds and have been next to DWash many times in the locker room. I guarantee you he is that size. But since you have seen him, what, on TV, you can make that judgement?

34. By john the draft guy on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Georgie,

My biggest question is why DWash and what do you actually expect out of him?

I mean top 5 in the league in tackles. You know that is good , right?

Top 5 in sacks, again pretty good. Should he do more? Is he never allowed to miss a tackle, cuz you know the other guys get paid too. Is the only thing, you think he is too small? I mean, would you be down in New Orleans trying to get rid of Brees cuz he is too small or is it just a DWash thing?

So, the absolute best back, a beast of a man, pushed aside DWash on a play. So that negates all the good plays?

And with so many others you could attack, why him. Heck ADub looked horrible on that tackle against the pack. PP has looked bad at times, oline, running backs, QBs, William Gay, man take your pick.
    Instead, you have gone on an all out blitz on DWash. I dont get it. Can anyone help me out on this one?

As for Bradley, you do know he was rotating with Walker in preseason and then when Lenon went down, they played Walker over Bradley. I think that is a clear message.

35. By georgiebird on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

You are correct- I should not have questioned the roster listing- all guys are their posted size.
    What I should have said “DW PLAYS much smaller than his listed size of 6-2 and 230″.
    By the way 6-2 230 is pretty small for a 3-4 ILB.

Have heard many announcers question the size of players. Most recently on our Monday night football game, Dan Fouts said that LSH was not 5’7′ but more like 5’5″- why don’t you give him a call—and Max Hall is 6’0″.

36. By Darren Urban on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

Goergie —

RE: Size

Once again, beside the point. You are on an anti-Washington bent. Fine. Your opinion. One of your criticisms is his size, and you just happen to be dead wrong on your speculation on it. I called you on it. So your counterpoint is, “So what, LaRod Stephens-Howling is smaller than his listed size.”

Got it.

37. By georgiebird on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

I have nothing against DWash. In watching the games, RBs are gaining 5-10 yards per carry against our defense- but all our guys are great. You work for the team so I can’t expect you to run negative articles about the players and coaches.
    We are about the worst team in football having lost to the Bills and Rams. So, someone has to be objective about the team.
    DWash is not asserting himself on the field. Running plays are finding him instead of DW finding running plays. DW may even make the ProBowl if Larry doesn’t because each team sends a player and DW has stats. But if DW was a run stuffer teams would stop running and our DBs would be further exposed. I would be more impressed if Johnnie Draftnik told me that DW doesn’t have as many tackles as last year because teams don’t run near him anymore. In a 3-4 defense with the NT doing little, DW is a target in the running game. DW would do much better with another scheme or another team where there were other guys to take the pressure off him- much like Antrel Rolle has done with the Giants.
    Are you sure you’re not 6′ 5″.

38. By Corgon on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

All the best to Obi!

39. By Robert F on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

@ joe the draft hack. What planet were you watching preseason on? Bradley played very well with the first team in preseason consistantly against starters. Reggie Wells(one of my favorites) played well also but against the 2s and 3s, sometimes against the 4s. The basics of the 3-4 require one ILB to blitz from all angles and gaps (Washington) and one ILB to stay home and be the hole plugger (Lenon). Lenon makes alot of sure tackles, but most are catching RBs from behind as he is not quick enough this season to plug the hole at the point of attack. The last two seasons he was quick enough, this year he is not. wether its Bradley or Wells they are both much quicker than Lenon. Against the Packers, Bradley beat the gunners downfield on 4 punts, including one of almost 60 yards. He is much faster. Very bad the injury to Schofield, but our biggest problem on defense is tackling.Schofield, Washington, Acho, and Adrian Wilson fly around the field trying to make big hits, but almost never making sure tackles. Acho is the worst and seems to have never been coached on how to tackle from Pop Warner til today. William Gay and Kery Rhodes are our only NFL Calibre DBs and both can tackle well. Patrick Peterson appears to be high on his own hype, he is a poor pass defender and appear to be trying to take the Neon Deon Sanders route of making the Hall of Fame with 26 tackles in a career. Peterson maybe LSUs next Jamarcus Russel.

40. By john the draft guy on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Robert F,
    The Planet I’m on is the one that know guard Reggie Wells hasn’t been with the team for sometime.

As for the special teams captain, Reggie Walker, you need to open your eyes and watch the games. When Lenon went down, Walker was the one to come in and start.

But lets not stop there. If you are going to make such idiotic statements, have some facts. Go to the play by play and look at tackles for preseason.

Aug 17 vs Oakland – Walker starts and tackles McFadden in first series.
    and second series. Bradley comes in on 3rd.
    Aug 23rd vs Tenn- I only went through the first 2 quarters in which only Reggie
    Walker player- no Bradley
    Aug 30th vs Broncos (last preseason game) – Bradley makes tackle in 2nd series,
    Walker makes tackle on 4th series. Both Walker and Bradley
    are in for 5th series.

As for 1 linebacker shots gaps and one LB hold his ground shows you have no knowledge of the game. You see, there are these things called plays, and on each call, each player on the field has a responsiblity. For instance on a cross dog, both LBs cross and blitz the opposite “A” gap.

Come on man.

41. By William Barry on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren:

I finally got the chance to watch the Cards on TV, and they played pretty good. We were only behind 24-17, when the packers scored their touchdown, to make it 31-17. This game was winnable. We must go out and get the rest of the 6 wins…we can do it, we just have to get over the hump, and get a win under our belt. The tackling could have been better, but we were on the road. WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!!!!! =—GO 11-6

2. Nov 5, 2012: Injury situations around the NFL - Page 7