• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Defensive duo gets top 50 recognition

Posted by Darren Urban on November 7, 2012 – 2:32 pm

The Cardinals’ defense hasn’t been playing as well of late as it started, but they have had a pair of players who have done well all season: defensive end Calais Campbell and inside linebacker Daryl Washington. It makes sense then that both were recognized on profootballfocus.com’s top 51 players of the first half of the season. Campbell came in at No. 36, while Washington was No. 17 — interestingly, tucked right between both 49ers inside linebackers, NaVorro Bowman at No. 18 and Patrick Willis at No. 16.

Here’s what the site had to say on both:

17. Daryl Washington, ILB, ARZ

Washington continues to make plays for the Cardinals even if his reckless abandon style has seen him miss 11 tackles already this year. At times has struggled in coverage but his inside linebacker leading 62 tackles and eight sacks show just how much of a playmaker he is.

Key Stat: Has picked up 17 quarterback disruptions on 86 blitzes.

36. Calais Campbell, DE, ARZ

Last year Justin Smith upstaged him and this year it’s J.J. Watt, but Calais Campbell is damn fine player. Incredibly productive on every down, he’s gone from a guy who generated a lot of pressure, to a player who can (and does) do it all. Regularly commands a lot of attention from offenses, but has still managed to make 24 defensive stops and bat four passes.

Key Stat: Has made a stop on 8.8% of all running plays he has been in on.

It doesn’t hurt that both players were wisely signed to long-term extensions by the team recently, Campbell this summer and Washington right before the season. That’s turned out to be a very smart move. Again, this list is about every player, not just rankings at each position.

– Speaking of Campbell, he wasn’t out at the beginning of practice today, Kent Somers notes. (Campbell was around Tuesday, if I recall correctly.) The bye week means there are no injury reports right now, although the Cards did just sign defensive end Ronald Talley. Won’t know until next week if there is any connection, although Mike Jurecki is reporting it is a calf issue. There won’t be any more player or coach availability until the team returns Monday.

Tags: ,

21 Responses to “Defensive duo gets top 50 recognition”

1. By Demar2k4 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

No Peterson????

2. By Dynosoar on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Could we be a trap game for Atlanta?

Oh, that would be sweet! That would be a grand fine way to end the current streak and begin a new one.

3. By john the draft guy on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Cant agree more with this article/rankings.

Anyone, with their eyes open has watched Campbell over the last 2 years become a force. And DW is one of those playmakers every team needs. Good for them.

At the beginning of the season, I would have argued that Acho would have a chance at the top 50 or more like top 75 defensive players. And although he has been alright this year, he didn’t achieve that level. Hopefully a great 2nd half will follow. We need more from him.

4. By Andy Kw on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

William Gay, Patrick Peterson, and Kerry Rhodes need to wake up now. Daryl Washington, you need to wake up too. What is with all of your miss tackles and terrible pass coverage. I blame Kerry Rhodes for allowing so many deep balls to be completed. William Gay needs to get back in shape or else he will get cut. Patrick Peterson, if you miss tackles and miss pass coverages one more time, you will only be here for 4 seasons and thats it. Our pass defense is apparently ranked 3rd in the league but it really turns out that our team should be ranked near last because it does not matter how many passes you defend when the result will be that you allow 1 completion for a long touchdown. Aaron Rodgers could have been 4 for 20 with 4TDs and 1INT and still beat us. It doesn’t matter about that. If we are able to avoid allowing long yardage, this team will be better off. Our DL is really bad no matter what people think. Allowing our 100yds rushing per game for every team shows how bad our team is in stopping the run. We allowed a huge plays in Miami, St.Louis, Minnesota, Buffalo, Green Bay. Green Bay was reasonable but Miami and St.Louis, their passing game sucks and you allowed them to spark. In my opinion, William Gay is out of here by next season, Kerry RHodes gets traded to NYG back for Antrel Rolle, and Patrick Peterson wears bigger cleats so that his height can match his targets.

5. By MoJo on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Sorry completely off topic.. but I was reading this piece on ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/80855/curious-case-of-cardinals-te-todd-heap) about Heap and the writer suggested that Heap should have returned long time ago. Could you kindly share your thoughts on this topic with us?

6. By jocards on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

@ Dynosoar
    Re; Trap game
    I suppose that just about anything is possible but the game in Atlanta will be no trap game unless the Cardinals play a whole lot better than they’ve been playing. The way I see it is that we’re not going to beat anybody playing the way we have recently. Trap games, upsets, etc…the only way to pull that off is to outplay your opponent and the Cardinals have not been doing that. Watching this team play over the last month it is almost impossible to believe that we were ever 4-0. Injuries have taken an enormous toll and there can be no doubt about that however the fact remains that since the great start this team has been every bit as bad as the 0-5 record would indicate. Every week we all hope for improvement and next week will be no different….we’ll see.

7. By clssylssy on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

@Dynosoar
    Sooo agree with you, I’ve seen it before and believe we are capable. Just need for everybody to get on the same page. This is what we need for mentality of players and fans alike to regain confidence and finish strong, I’m seeing other teams battle back from adversity and know we are just as tough. We’ve done it before and has the fan base turns ugly, I see the team getting apathetic. This is the time for fans to show they bleed Cardinal red! We are low under the radar still with some good weapons such as Campbell, Washington and that’s historically been when the Cards are most dangerous. GO CARDS…YOU STILL HAVE SOME TRUE BELIEVERS!

8. By NJAZCardsFan on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I have no electric, heat, phone for the last 11 days now…..with no end in sight. On top of this we got 4″ of snow.
    The only positive thing is that I didn’t get to watch this ongoing collapse of the Cards. I hope there is a major re-vamp of the offensive line and coaching staff related to the offense at the end of the season……

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

MoJo –

RE: Heap

Kent Somers wrote a story here: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/20121106arizona-cardinals-tight-end-heap-mystery.html. That’s the reason Sando wrote about it and pretty clearly lays out the situation.

10. By conrad on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Next week Atlanta will be our victory with our top Defense and now that our offense is clicking with over 300 yard the tide has turned then you will see all the band wagon jumpers come to claim our team!

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. By Chuck 1 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar, clssylssy, conrad and others,

HOPE springs eternal.
    That’s all Card fans have.

12. By jocards on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Oh my…..again with the bandwagon talk. Historically this has been one of the least successful franchises on the field not just in the NFL but in all of professional sports. Teams like that do not have bandwagon fans….There is simply no bandwagon to jump on. Winning teams have their share of bandwagon fans, losing teams do not. This organization has won 4 division titles in the last 65 years and currently holds the league’s longest active championship drought. What bandwagon?!? Their only “title” was in 1947 while they were based in Chicago…..two decades before the first Super Bowl was even played. Any true fan of the Cardinals is no bandwagon fan….the term simply does not apply here.

13. By Dynosoar on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

NJAZCardsFan,

What’s it like back there? I’m not sure the media here is giving an acurate picture. Do you have family at home? Does this mean you’re using just coats and blankets to keep warm or do you have a fireplace and wood? And the administration’s answer this morning is to anounce a carbon tax on coal and oil. How does this help restore power?

Are you inland or did you get flooding as well?

You’re post shows me there are certainly more important things than whether Kolb or Skelton get the start and whether we’re on a winning or losing streak.

14. By jocards on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

@ Chuck 1 – I completely agree with you about hope….I have always loved this team and have never rooted for any other NFL team. Over the years the losses have been far more frequent than have the wins but I’ll never stop hoping for better results. Some folks ask why a person doesn’t just follow some other team ….Those are the people that truly do not understand what it is to be a fan. A true fan IMO can’t just wake up one day and say, “I am now a Steelers fan” or whatever. It doesn’t work like that. So I am hoping for solid play as we move forward but am certainly not blind to the reality of our situation. I’ll just keep pulling for the Cardinals each and every week.

15. By nodavis2000 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

You have to admit, when you wrote this article, you had to think about all of georgiebird comments about Daryl Washington being “too small” a LB to play ILB and that we “need” a better/bigger LB than him. Did you think of his comments while writing/posting this article???

Finally some good NATIONAL recognition of Washington. To be rated with the Niners ILBs is pretty good. I don’t like that team (rivals duh), but you have to respect them as players or opponents and their strengths. Hopefully D Wash will continue playing hard for us, maybe improve upon the misses a bit, and get to the Pro Bowl!!!

16. By Eazy E on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Some of y’all are way too optimistic and naive. If your QBs are below average and O-Line is way below average, don’t expect many wins from here on out.#Hate like hell to say that about the team

17. By georgiebird on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

The top 51 list ?? Have any of these profocus people looked at a football game?
    Let me get this straight
    1) Daryl Washington is #17
    2) Eli Manning is # 19
    3) There is no Larry and no Calvin Johnson
    This is a great list. I noticed Daryl Washington’s best game was against Buffalo with 12 tackles. However, Buffalo rushed big time for 5 yds per carry on 33 carries. Question- where was DW making the tackles?? In the secondary?

18. By conrad on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

es Chuck 1 I always look at the positive side of unlike you who has nothing but hate unless the Cards are winning.
    I will stand by my Cards always through thick or thin I’m there win or lose I am not on the bandwagon support them or stay far away.

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. By NJAZCardsFan on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar and all…..

I had no electric, heat, phone, cable. I was trained for cold weather survival and I have all of the equipment that one would need. Power was out for 11 days. I live in No.NJ, so there was no flooding for my area. Some here still don’t have power back yet in the town. I used a 20oF sleeping bag and a Goretex Bivy bag and I was toasty….. It was 47oF inside my condo and there was a low of 21oF one night. Then we got the NE’r and received 4″ of snow…….
    I also used cross-counrty ski pants and shirt under my regualr clothes. I cooked on a single burner propane stove and used a sterno stove too. It was an adventure. I don’t have a family to worry about as it is just me and my Black Lab. The cold weather didn’t seem to bother him. The Red Cross eventually showed up to provide food, but I was already having two hot meals a day anyway. The most depressing part was hearing the Cards scores on the radio…….

20. By Chuck 1 on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

conrad,

In case you haven’t noticed, I’m not the only fan on this board who wants the Cards to excel and we have (sometimes) strong opinions about why they aren’t meeting, not only our expectations, but the organization’s own expectations as well.

But, the difference between fans like you and fans like me is that we think that the organization from top (Michael Bidwill) to bottom (the players) could and should do better.

We’re not satisfied with mediocrity (or worse), NOR SHOULD WE BE.

Your comment that “… I’m there win or lose…” is revealing. As long as fans will pay good hard-earned money to buy tickets to watch an inferior product, that’s what you’ll get.

21. By louis on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

it’s sad that we are going to finish last in our division. seattle and the rams are doing better because they know how to win as a team. don’t be surprised if we finish last again and again before we get kicked out of arizona.