Talley is roster replacement for Schofield

Posted by Darren Urban on November 7, 2012 – 9:00 am

The Cardinals officially put linebacker O’Brien Schofield on injured reserve, ending his season, but the man they brought in to replace him on the roster wasn’t a linebacker. Instead, the Cardinals re-signed defensive end Ronald Talley, who was released by the team at the end of the preseason. The Cardinals already were carrying an extra linebacker after promoting Zack Nash recently, so numbers-wise, it’s not out of whack.

The Cardinals also lost cornerback Crezdon Butler off the practice squad when the Buffalo Bills signed him to their active roster. So the Cards brought back cornerback Greg McCoy to the practice squad, whom they had released from that spot recently to bring back Butler.

The team also officially announced the injury settlement with offensive lineman Jeremy Bridges, releasing him off of injured reserve. Bridges is free to sign and play with any team other than the Cardinals. In theory, Bridges could come back eventually, but I’m not sure that will happen.

Tags: , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Talley is roster replacement for Schofield”

1. By georgiebird on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

The Talley signing is inconsequential- he is a journeyman player that nobody wants and we needed to fill a roster spot.
    The Cards current situation requires the whole thing to be blown up and a new HC/GM combo to give it a try. Whiz is too far into his tenure to start all over with a high draft choice QB.
    Things won’t get better here for a few years so that the future of certain players has to be handled wisely to benefit the Cards. One guy is DD who is getting older and seems lost in the 3-4 alignment. DD is a talented guy who still has a couple of pretty good years left in a 4-3 and could bring back some assets in the form of players/drafts. Another guy is Beanie who needs a little running room to be a very good RB. Beanie is a young guy but the pounding he will endure in the next 2-3 years makes his window smaller. Both guys would be excellent additions to a team like the Giants or Packers.
    Player evaluation (cleaning house) will become the major activity for the team in the near term. On the defense, Acho, Washington, PP and CC are the core. And on offense-only Larry and the question of whether Larry (a great ambassador for the team) should have been traded two years ago.

2. By jocards on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Off topic and I apologize….I wanted to comment on the trend I’ve noticed here of folks accusing others of being “bandwagon fans”. I actually get a bit of a laugh from it. The Cardinals have a bandwagon?!? What kind of bandwagon does an organization like this have? I’m thinking that these folks are a bit unclear on the concept of bandwagon jumping. Teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Giants, etc. have bandwagons, they win. Teams like the Cardinals don’t have bandwagons. The Cardinals were charter members of the NFL when it was formed yet they had never won a single playoff game until 1998….then the incredible 2008 run & the 2009 win. That’s it….period. I’ve been a fan since this team played in STL and there have been FAR more losses than wins. Believe me it has painful at times but I’m always rooting for this team and no other. The concept of “bandwagon fans” does not even apply here. Anybody that is a fan of this team is a true fan.

3. By cobra on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

georgiebird:

Re: The Talley signing is inconsequential:

Your comments usually resemble what you stated above, don’t mean much, mostly obvious, negative or way off track.

It’s a little early to write off the whole season. I really doubt there will be any whole sale changes unless we end up 5-11. Too much has gone into preparation of the defense and offense with the personell at hand. We may be a draft away to get it right. So, we will probably stay on the track we’re on for now. Give the orginization a little credit where it is due.

As for those wanting a 4-3 defense. Are you out of your minds?

On another note. Has anyone noticed John Gruden seems to be priming himself for another Head Coaching Job next year?

4. By Dynosoar on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren, will you consider writing an article explaining the differences between a 3-4 and a 4-3 defense? In my searching, I don’t see a real difference. I may just be looking at the wrong sources or perhaps there’s not a real significant difference.

Also, will you include the pros and cons of each. It seems I’ve read we use both, at least to a degree.

Thanks.

5. By JMONDO on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

georgiebird…

John Gruden “seems to be priming himself” for another head coaching job every game for the past few years….

6. By NyCardinals on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar,
    Here is a 7 part series in the NY Times from a couple years back.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

7. By NyCardinals on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Sorry. I posted Part 4 twice. This is the link to part 5.

8. By truths4all on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Hey, where are those guys who were preaching at the beginning of the season that Horton’s defense was going to roll over everyone this season? That was their predictions after I cautioned that the other opponents were going to dust off their past offensive game plans that were successful against the Steelers.

As for Ron Talley being inconsequential, how dumb a statement is that? Let’s see if journeyman Mr. Talley can excel in Horton’s system. Maybe he won’t, maybe he will. Even the pros don’t know until the playmakers make their mark on the field. Just consider how close the Giants were to cutting undrafted free agent Victor Cruz in 2010 when he started the first 5 games of the season without a single catch and then missed the rest of the season with an injury? Now, the Giants wouldn’t take a first round draft pick for him.

9. By D on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

First of all, Mr. B won’t pay R. Graves and Whiz not to be here and then go out and pay top dollar to a Gruden , Cowher or Reid.

If this regime wants to stick with the current roster of QB’s for next year for fear of losing their jobs with a rookie QB then yes, make significant changes in the front office at the end of the year. If they do go 5-11 and have to pay all those salaries, Graves, Whiz, Grimm and Miller, then what I see them doing is what they did with Mac in the 90’s. Make Horton the HC, one of his assitants as the DC and bring in a Off Cordinator who can coach a rookie QB…aka Norv Turner.

10. By Chuck 1 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

This season is a wipe out; 6-10 MAYBE Only non-realists wearing rose colored glasses and whistling past the graveyard believe that the Cards can qualify for the playoffs or get to 8-8 or 7-9.
    For those fans asking for Bidwill to relieve Graves and/or Whiz, get real.
    It ain’t gonna’ happen for obvious reasons. Whiz might rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic i.e. reassign or release Miller and/or Grimm (his Bud), but that is all.

There will not be an improvement in player acquisition in 2013 either because Graves and Whiz are committed to BPA.
    I ask you, imagine college players lined up in rows by position, best one of each position in the front e.g. from left to right QB, WR, RB, CB, LB etc. and the Cards can choose the best one remaining at any position, would they select a skill position player or one from a less “glamorous” position e.g. OT, OG or C?
    Do you really believe that, in 2013, they will change from their proclivity (WOW, what a word) to select THE BPA i.e. a DL (Williams), RB (Wells), CB (Peterson) or a WR (Floyd)?
    HELL, NO!!!

11. By georgiebird on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

@Jocards
    Cards did win an NFL Championship in the 1940’s while in Chicago- but other than that- your post on “bandwagon” is priceless. As a 53 year fan of the Cardinals, your post made me mostly laugh but there was a nostalgic side that said so many years of following a team that has brought so much disappointment. Thanks again -good job!.

12. By cardsalltheway on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

georgiebird,
    Nice write-up.

Chuck 1,
    I could be with you on the beginning of your write-up but the ending was just about enough to make me sick, kind of like how I would of felt if someone else won yesterday.

But this is how I see it…

We will only be favored one more game this year so the question is will we win that game against the Rams on Nov. 25th? If not, we’ll have to get lucky to win another game to end up at 5-11 this year. Ken W. has lost this team and as an NFL organization the Cardinals will have to say good-bye to all the decision makers sooner rather than later to be successful ASAP.

Ken W. runs this team as though it’s a day-time soap opera. Tune-in-next-week-to…”As the Cards Turn.” The moves he needs to make are done in ant like fashion(I can see them coming from a mile away weeks before he makes them) while his stupefying ones are done in free fall fashion.

Actually, we may yet be the dog in the Rams game depending on how badly we get beat @ Atlanta and how many points the Rams win by @ home vs NY Jets in week 11, on Nov. 19th.

13. By Dynosoar on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

NyCardinals,

Thanks. I’ll begin reading them today.

Jocards,

I’m a bandwagon fan, my favorite instrument to play is the harmonica. Seriously, I’m with you, been a fan since ’77 in St. Louis and no other team will ever take place of my Cards! (I tried for two seasons to follow the Jets as my second team, I just couldn’t do it. I’ve got one team and there just isn’t any other. Well, no other, except for whoever’s playing the Cowboys of course.)

cardsalltheway,

“As the cards turn.” I love this team and I laughed. This will easily be the quote of the week if not the month.

14. By Brett on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

I laugh at all of you.

STFU and support your team.

Its not the coaching staff or the organizations fault for our teams recent struggles.

INJURIES HAVE KILLED US THIS YEAR.

Wake up people

15. By Ron on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren I don’t know if this was ask yet but will you be doing a mid season grade on each player or position? Go Cards!

16. By cobra on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Cardsalltheway finally surfaced, must be tired of being georgiebird and chuck1, or tired of talking to himself, as the cards turn.

17. By John Isenegger on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Speaking of Bandwagon fans… I saw the Chicago Cardinals beat the Philadelphia Eagles for the chamionship in ’46-47. I have followed, cussed, and cried for that team all of my life. Mr. Bidwell may be a fine man and a wonderful communtiy asset in Arizona, but to win you have to want to win. Filling that stadium each week gives him no incentive to spend money to get better. My logic is not perfect, though because if attendance reflects the frustration of the fans, he will probably move the franchise to another city and start it all over again.

18. By Darren Urban on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Ron —

RE: Grades

I don’t do grades. Sorry.

19. By red c rider on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

big ups to jobirds, I have also argued this same point to my misguided non-cardinal friends. we remain the red sea through thick and thin. why would we turn back now??? lol

20. By Chuck 1 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway,

Why did the last part of my earlier post make you feel this way (“the ending was just about enough to make me sick”)?

21. By dieselbomb on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Two seasons and the record as of now, 12 wins and 13 loses.

There’s a bit different feel since the Superbowl year and the playoff year that followed. It’s not the same thing for fans once people felt they came close against the Steelers. Afterward, it seemed the fans were more serious. Looked to be contenders the following year. Then 5-11, 8-8, and now 4-5. Or another way : 17-24 over two-plus seasons since Warner left. And we’re nowhere near fixing anything. The Cardinals are reliable, if you consider regular losses an example of reliability.

SO … IF the Bidwills are smart, then they show Whiz and staff the door, irrespective of cost, and go for Holmgren ( I’d greatly welcome Holmgren as GM/Head Coach), possibly Gruden, possibly Martz – or maybe lure Billick away from the cush job he has now. We don’t need a college coach. But Maybe Jim Mora at UCLA would work ( former Seahawks, former Falcons ).

At this point, I’d tolerate it if the Bidwills went after June Jones ( SMU head coach, and former NFL coach from the 80’s ) – the current coaches are making it a routine to lose games: Bad system, Bad calls. Just a bad mix.

22. By dieselbomb on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Quote :

By Brett on Nov 7, 2012

I laugh at all of you.

STFU and support your team.

INJURIES HAVE KILLED US THIS YEAR.

Wake up people

=======

Brett –

Coaching staff assisted in hurting Kolb and RWilliams …

Never securing OLine help in previous years leaves the team’s current OLine looking pretty crummy and shallow … That IS Coaching. The Line hasn’t worked well enough to protect the QB resulting in Hits and Sacks, and now physical damage. Further damage occurred through OLine-related penalties, too.

Kolb took repeated poundings until the Rib injury occurred. Few teams have allowed as many sacks as our OLine. Game 9, they just started to wake up. Why game 9?

Calling run plays ‘up the gut’ or off Tackle multiple times in a row during more than one game sidelined Williams. When he takes it outside he was much more successful – and he didn’t get hurt. Those are called plays … Why did they insist on those plays, with that player?

So I’m saying at least some of those injuries – two Super Important players – were caused in part because of the Offensive calls. The coaches call the plays.

I’m not forgetting Defensive injuries, but wanted to highlight two players.

23. By Brett on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

dieselbomb,

I’m sure that’s exactly what the coaching staff wanted… to injure kolb and williams,

If you do not remember our 2 starting OT got injured right before the season started.

Also, willims is an nfl RB, you would think that he would be able to run any play that his coaches ask him too.

24. By cardsalltheway on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Brett,
    “injuries”
    We all agreed that there wouldn’t be any excuses this year, don’t you remember? Every team has injuries, YAWN.

“Also, willims is an nfl RB”

You’re not much of an NFL RB or player when you can’t play or finish one season. So far, he’s O – 2 while still not ever playing enough to prove his worth/value. He hasn’t helped the team since he arrived, I say cut him because he ain’t ever gonna pan out = stay healthy for an entire NFL season, he’s too small and we already have LSH on the team. At least LSH did something well in his first year or two(kick-returner), but unfortunately seems to have lost that ability the last two years. I’d also consider cutting Greg Toler.

Chuck 1,
    Because your speak like Ken W. will continue to have a say in the matter and drafting will be same same.

25. By Brett on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

Cardsalltheway,
    Interesting name for a fan who seems to have a problem with everything going on in this organization… but thats neither here nor there.

I’m a realist and you can’t deny that our recent losses aren’t because of injuries and depth on offense.

Oh no, wait, its all Whiz’s fault

Not every team can have an Aaron Rodgers. wake up

26. By AzDesertRat1953 on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

Man I can not believe that most all of you are not NFL GM’s or Coaches (HC,OL, QB), and a least three to five Owners in this bunch.

All I can say is if any of you do get an NFL job, Stay away from the AZ Cardinals we have enough trouble!

GO CARDS!!!

27. By Brett on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

I was kidding about it being whiz’s fault…