Routt not on radar

Posted by Darren Urban on November 8, 2012 – 10:59 am

A national report yesterday noted that recently released cornerback Stanford Routt, cut by the Chiefs, was “drawing interest” from multiple teams around the league. The Cardinals were named specifically. The Cards might have looked into the possibility, but I have been told the Cardinals do not have interest in signing Routt (The Dolphins, also named specifically, also are not pursuing him.)

The Routt situation is interesting. On the surface he looks intriguing. But it says something that, in a league starving for cover guys, he has now been released twice since the end of last season, by the Raiders and now the Chiefs. As always, in this league, there is a reason players are cut. Sometimes it’s a lucky break for another team out there but often times, there is something behind it. Teams don’t usually cut good players.

The Cardinals, meanwhile, need more consistent play from their own cornerbacks. Patrick Peterson has been admittedly up and down, newcomer William Gay has been struggling, rookie Jamell Fleming has looked like a rookie and Greg Toler has been injured. The Cards should have the players there, but they have to have the performance.

At this point, I am not expecting new players on the roster coming out of the bye — other than defensive end Ronald Talley, signed yesterday — and we’ll have to check in with coach Ken Whisenhunt after practice Monday to see if there were any depth chart or positional changes that might be coming down the pike.

Tags: , , , ,

38 Responses to “Routt not on radar”

1. By Dynosoar on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

NyCardinals and NJAZCardsFan,

By your monikers, I’m assumng ya’ll live close to one another. You might consider getting together on game days when you’re world resumes a semblance of order.

Please keep us posted on the storm recovery.

2. By Robert F on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

As I said before our biggest need is tackling. Patrick Peterson is a mideocre DB blessed with great talent as a returner. William Gaye and Kerry Rhodes are our only NFL level DBs. Adrian Wilson is a undersized LB who has not covered anyone in 4-5 seasons. High School recievers all over the valley have a hard time deciding which one they would like to carve up for a game, Peterson or Wilson? Peterson gets the nod, because Wilson atleast can floor you with a big hit AFTER the catch. Peterson? Has anyone seen him hit or tackle anyone?

3. By NyCardinals on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar,

Thank you for your concern. There are a lot of people hurting, but neither the hurricane nor the snowstorm did much damage where I live — Brooklyn. We got dumped on last night, but the snow has already melted from the streets. I don’t know where New Jersey was hit the worst. I assume it was along the coastline — Jersey Shore, Oceanside, etc.. Breezy Point, Queens was where a 100 or so houses burned down during the hurricane. It is situated on the tip of a peninsula that juts out into the Atlantic. All those people are in a real bad situation — no homes and winter’s coming.

I don’t know where NJAZCardsFan lives. If he lives somewhere like Hoboken or Weehawken, he’s just across the Hudson, but if he lives someplace down south like Cape May (where the Delaware Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean), he’s a good 160 miles away.

Either way, I hope NJAZCardsFan escaped the worst of it. It was nice of you to think about all of us.

4. By Brett on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Hey Roberto,

This is the Cardinals website, if your gonna be negative…

DONT POST ON IT

5. By NyCardinals on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Robert F,

I guess I disagree with most of what you wrote. Though, I agree that tackling was a huge issue the last couple games.

Peterson has had very good games and a couple of bad games this year, but in my opinion, he is far better than “mediocre”. Personally, I believe that Gaye has been our worst cornerback. I have hope for him, but I think he has played far worse than the others.

You said “Adrian Wilson is a undersized LB who has not covered anyone in 4-5 seasons”. I am not a stat guy, but I know that Wilson had something like 14 or 16 passes defended last year. I believe that led the league for safeties — at least top 3.

As for whether anyone seeing Peterson hit or tackle anyone, here is an example where he comes off a block and tackles the running back for a loss on 3rd down.

6. By Dynosoar on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

NyCardinals,

on the last post NJAZCardsFan stated he still didn’t have power. that concerned me and then I remembered you’re back there as well. I’m concerned for NJAZ and happy to know you and yours are well. I have a friend that lives in and has a fencing club in Queens, but unable to cntact him yet.

Really glad you’re doing well and thanks again for the NYTimes links.

Dyno

7. By AzDesertRat1953 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Dynosoar, hope NJ, NY, and all the rest can get their lives back in order ASAP. These poor people did Not need snow to add to their problems.

Robert F; High School receivers, some collage players maybe, but you said High School?!?

Peterson is a 2nd year player and 90 out of 100 have mediocre 2nd years. As for hitting, do you watch the games or just hear them on the Radio?
    Oh and ADub aka Adrian Wilson plays as a Safety, don’t take my word for it, look at the roster, it has a big ‘S’ for his position.

That would be William Gay no ‘e’.

GO CARDS!!!

8. By john the draft guy on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

With all that is going on, NY and NJ come to this board to talk about the cards. Now that is passion.

Interesting defensive stats for the Cards;

The cards are 3rd against the pass, while 23rd against the run. Also, they are also 9th in scoring TDs defense, giving up 17 tds over 9 games. (10 overall scoring D, aaron rodgers threw 4 tds hurting the passing d to go from 9 passing tds to 13 overall)

That is the important stat, stopping teams from scoring.

But why so bad against the run? (Im sure georgie will say DW)
    I’ve said all year, the cards are playing a lot of 2 down lineman and an extra DB.
    But here is a little look at that.

On the year, Campbell has played 541 snaps, Dockett played 420, while Williams has only 217 snaps. And before you begin saying they are using David Carter, he has only 68 snaps and about half of them are at DE.

Is it dictated by situation? Somewhat.

I think Horton believes that teams last year became high flying scoring machines. Against the Patriots, I saw this adjustment for the first time (williams only played 11 snaps). Making teams earn first downs and trying to get teams to run the ball, has forced teams into situations that when the get impatient, his blitzes cause sacks or turnovers. Sometimes, a player breaks down and makes a mistake, ie-poor tackling against niners, or Fleming in position to knock the ball down and misses, that results in a big play.

But overall, 1.8 touchdowns per game should win. I believe this is why you see the stats a little loapsided towards the run. Just keep in mind, the idea is to stop the other team from scoring and this defense is doing just that.

9. By Cody Zarr on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Brett,

1 minus 12. See what I did there?.. Yes, that was pointless, but so is telling people that they shouldn’t post anything negative on these boards. Everyone needs to complain at one time or another. Granted, excess is annoying, but he is just venting what he views to be concerns in regards to the talent on the roster.

While his claims are dubious at best, he still plays a role in keeping this organization running. He is a fan, and without fans, the NFL is nothing.

A much more productive thing to do would be to dismantle his theories and make him look like he has the intellectual capacity of a caged spider monkey in a burning meth lab.

For example, his spelling is atrocious and I’m not sure how much one can know about a player when one can’t even spell his name correctly. Additionally he comments on Adrian Wilson (my personal favorite player) and his supposed lack of coverage skills for the last 4-5 years. He has obviously had his head in a region only his proctologist could find because Mr. Wilson has made the pro bowl in 4 of those last 5 “awful” years. No one will tell you that coverage is Mr. Wilson’s best area of play but his play in other areas MORE than makes up for what I would consider average coverage ability, which is blatantly obvious to everyone but Robert there.

The prevarication continues with his inaccurate assessment of PP21. Peterson has already increased his interception total from last year in half the time and his tackles are on par with last year’s numbers as well. Apparently Robert has missed all 28 tackles and 2 assists Mr. Peterson has had. He will also finish the season with more passes defended than last year as well.

Perhaps we should all band together and buy the poor man a subscription to profootballfocus.com so he can educate himself and come back with a well formed opinion.

10. By NyCardinals on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Wow!

I’ve been writing Gaye instead of Gay on my weekly depth charts all season. Though, I did get it correct for week 1. I am used to looking for numbers instead of names. That’s a little embarrassing, but I spelled Leinart’s name with an “h” for years.

11. By alexmannsportskings on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

He’s an interesting prospect. I guess they feel confident in Gay or even Flemming or Toler to pass Gay on the Depth Chart. I would have liked a move in the Secondary but hopefully the rest this week allows PP, Gay, Wilson, and Rhodes to get back to the form they were in early on.

12. By NYCardinals on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Dyno,

No problem on the NYTimes series links. I’ve had it bookmarked for the last couple years. I use it as reference often. It seems to be an excellent primer.

13. By sarah on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I think this sums it up ! It is unfortunate because the GB was better yet dropped balls etc and defensive errors countered the OL’s improvement.

14. By Mark on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren,Do You See Greg Toler On The Roster Next Year Or Will His Injuries Catch Up To Him And They’ll Cut Him

15. By cobra on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Draft guy:

I agree with alot of your comment. Horton is moving people around in order to gain an advantage on D. Many times the secondary is left to fend for themselves, other times it may be LBs, other times, maybe just game management for the offense. There have been tough calls, like the first down allowed last week, which resulted in a TD, that changed the outcome of the game. DBs have had a few TDs in which also resulted in TDs despite great coverage. Until our offense shows they can move the ball, well, the D pays the price and cannot stay with their game plan. In other words, our D has had some bad luck, the Offense creates thier own bad luck. Hopefully it canges soon!

16. By Credit Card on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

First of all, good article about Mike Leach. Solid professional. Not only does Leach always snap the ball quickly and properly, he is also on special teams tackles, and he blocks well.

As for the corner back situation. Cards lost big time last year when Tolar got hurt. No one filled in to his level. Tolar then missed most of OTA’s and Preseason, and then injured during the year. His confidence, when he returns, will be shattered. Basically, he has lost two seasons, hard for him to make up. Therefore, the Cards will have to go with Fleming and Gay. Inexperienced or slow of foot. Losing Butler also has hurt, he had more potential than Gay.

Glad I’m not the coach. Tough decisons to make.

17. By Brett on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Cody,

Touche

I’m not sure what you did there but it was pointless… lol

I just want people to think before they post and realize that our recent losses are because of all of the injuries this year.

18. By Chuck 1 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Brett,

What was it that Jack Nicholson said in the movie?
    “YOU CAN’T STAND THE TRUTH”!!!

19. By Eazy E on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren have you ever considered a bad environment plays a role in it?! Routt would have helped us but once again nope. I didn’t expect it, this team is so unagressive when it comes to getting players they need(RB,QB,OT, and now CB).

20. By Kevin S on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Sarah —

It will indeed be interesting to see if our OL can continue to improve (or even simply maintain the somewhat better protection shown last week). Also, my takeaway from that article is, whatever one thinks otherwise of Kolb, the criticism that he “holds the ball too long” is unwarranted. How can anyone say you hold the ball too long when you get league-low time to get rid of it?

21. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Mark —

RE: Toler

I think the second half of the season will be very important for Greg in that regard. His contract is up after the season.

22. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Eazy E —

RE: Routt

I think I have considered that. Have you ever considered there could be circumstances beyond what we know about that might prevent the Cards — and other teams — from wanting to pursue him?

23. By D on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren is their any chance that they’ll substitute Stewart Bradley for Paris Lenon in Atlanta to shore up the run defense. During preseason it looked as if Bradley was Arizona’s best player. He seemed to excel at being both decisive and filing his gap, plus he was that bigger pass rusher up the middle that the Cards lack right now. They would get bigger with Bradley, which would be important facing Micheal Turner this week. The last thing you need to give Matt Ryan is a running game to play off the receivers he’s got to throw to. Is Bradley in the doghouse or not showing any ability to act as signal caller, or is Whiz just so in love with how well Paris performs the latter. I have always thought Paris struggles to get off blocks and struggles tackling bigger backs who often take him for a ride downfield. Im afraid Arizona defenders stay on the field too long and get beat up and risk injjury when you dont stop the run. If you do, you’re going downhill and you can bring the pain.

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

D —

RE: Bradley

There’s always a chance, but I do not expect it.

25. By Dynosoar on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Hey darren,

You should do a Friday before Friday before Atlanta Post.

26. By Darren Urban on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar —

RE: Bye Friday

I’m actually trying to get a day off today. Such that it is.

27. By Dynosoar on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

I hear a lot about holding the ball too long (usually regarding Kevin Kolb, this season). It’s absolutely true. If someone is sacked in 30 seconds or 0.2 seconds, they held the ball too long.

(Didn’t Washington sack someone in 0.2 seconds this season?) Well, the Qb held the ball too long.

My thought, I watched Rodgers throw the ball away several times because nothing was opening up for him and that was after he was protected for what felt like a long time. He just threw it away.

Holding the ball too long this play may be a mere 3 seconds from snap, but next play the QB may have 9 seconds to complete a pass. Each play unfold a little different and I feel it’s a little too simplistic to say Kevin holds the ball too long.

Like I stated above, in Washington’s sack, 0.2 seconds was too long.

28. By Dynosoar on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Then I won’t post anymore today and let you get off early. (Sorry, couldn’t resist). Hope your weekends refreshing pleasant.

29. By chuck 2 on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

chuck 1,

cool

30. By Brett on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1,

“You can’t handle*** the truth.”

31. By Peter in Canada on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

NyCardinals – Glad to hear you escaped the worst. My wife and I went to Brooklyn during our hideous 5-11 season. We thought Brooklyn was great. We loved all the neighbourhood corner shops without any of those horrible characterless malls.We really liked all the great eating places where you got value for money unlike Manhattan.

My handle on the truth is that the front office gambled on the O-line which was always thin and lost when Levi and Bridges went down and Snyder underperformed. They also gambled on Kolb and Skelton. Kolb, as usual the past three years, got seriously injured and Skelton has rarely looked to have improved over last year. They are going to have to overpay an FA or two over the off season to fix the O-Line and Kolb in view of his salary and injury record must be replaced.

32. By craig on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

I agree with D would go with Bradley every time.

33. By Brett on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Peter in Canada eh

I agree with your perspective on the oline. Its hard to say if Skelton has developed or not because of all the injuries. We have to remeber that Kolb had somewhat of a running threat, Skelton has not. Since Skelton has been back, he has been playing in a 1 deminsional offense.

I don’t think Kolb will be around next year. Whiz will be here,Ggrimm will be gone.

34. By tyman on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Stanford Routt is a great madden corner. maybe we should get him so the we can shout people down in madden.

35. By Eazy E on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren you already know that most teams are very unaggressive and once one or two don’t want somebody almost everybody doesn’t.#Why Pretty Much The Same Teams Win The Super Bowl Every Year

36. By Christo on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

Meh this team is going nowhere until we change the Leadership.

Whisenhunt 3 straight seasons with a minimum 5 game Losing streak in each one. A loss to Atlanta means 3 straight seasons with a minimum SIX game Losing streak in each one.

That is my Cardinal brethren, PATHETIC.

37. By Peter in Canada on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Brett – Actually, I was born in England so unlike most of my fellow Canucks I don’t say eh to end a sentence.

This being Remembrance Day, I give thanks to the sometimes maligned U.S.A. for protecting our freedom.

38. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Brett the team has averaged 72 YPG all season. I don’t think Kolb has had a “benefit” of any run game. Especially considering Kolb has averaged 6.2 YPG himself to those stats in games he’s played in. The only real difference in the games is that Kolb is clearly better than that bum Skelton.