No flag, but a fine on Johnson hit

Posted by Darren Urban on November 9, 2012 – 2:07 pm

Rashad Johnson giveth, and he received.

At least, that’s what happened to the Cardinals safety in first the Minnesota game and then last weekend against Green Bay. Against the Vikings, Johnson was blocking on a punt when he was flagged for an illegal blindside block on Vikings tight end John Carlson. Johnson was later fined $21,000. Then against the Packers, Johnson was trying to cover a punt when the script was flipped and Johnson was blown up by Packers tight end Ryan Taylor (pictured below).

This time, there was no penalty called, leaving the Cardinals incredulous.

“I was a little surprised because I feel like I got hit a lot harder than the hit I placed on someone. but you know, different refs, different opinions,” Johnson said. “I know the league will go back and look at everything and whatever is appropriate to happen will happen.”

Johnson said those words Wednesday. Friday, the league agreed that the Taylor play was not legal, hitting Taylor with the same $21,000 fine.

Johnson was down for a couple of minutes after the huge hit, but Johnson was OK, coming back in the game on the very next special teams play.

“I was stunned a little bit,” Johnson said. “They just wanted to make sure I was OK and I didn’t want to embarrass myself by getting up and falling back down.”

(UPDATE: Taylor appealed the fine.)

– Taylor wasn’t the only player fined from the Cards-Packers game. Cardinals linebacker Quentin Groves was fined $15,750 for a horsecollar tackle late in the game.

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “No flag, but a fine on Johnson hit”

1. By tyman on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Whats with all the fines?

Wish the CBA would leave the game in the hands of the refs, and have in-game ejections for dirty hits. Its terrible to take a mans money for something that’s only a 15 yard penalty.

Now to that point, if there where in-game ejections for dirty plays would have the bounty system ever been able to take place and succeed? I don’t think so. Fines are just a cruel form of tough punishment to guys that may only be around for a few years.

2. By Steve on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren: Love your work, do you feel Kevin Kolb will be back next season as an AZ Cardinal? He showed marked improvement but still continues to be injury prone.

3. By NYCardinals on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Peter in Canada,

I saw your post on the previous blog. I thought my reply would get buried, so I put it up here.

Yeah, I lucked out. I just moved back to Brooklyn last month. I was living on the Lower East Side of Manhattan for the last few years. As the bird flies, its actually only about 3 miles away, but its a significant distance from the storm damage. If I was still there in the city, I would be dealing with flooding and power outages — possibly worse.

Now, as for the practicality of Manhattan, it takes a knowledgeable “New Yorker” to steer you away from the money traps. If you ever get back on the island, head down to Essex and Canal (just north of Canal — the East Broadway stop on the F train). There is a little hole-in-the-wall called North Dumpling where you can get 6 pork dumpling and a beer for 6 bucks, including a dollar tip. An old Chinese lady makes them fresh right before your eyes. After that, walk a half block south to 169 Bar (East Broadway). There, you can get a can of Black Label and a shot of rye for $5 — free billiards and a fresh oyster bar.

By the way, in which province do you live? I’ve only been to British Columbia. One of these days, I’m gonna head up north and knock-out 5 provinces at once. Then again, I’ve always wanted to see Newfoundland and Labrador the most, so maybe I’ll skip Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia.

Happy Remembrance Day. I don’t know if “happy” is appropriate, but happy anyway.

4. By NYCardinals on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

tyman,

Last year, Goldson was ejected for punching Doucet, but I don’t know how often that happens.

5. By scubasteve12 on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

Sarah- http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/11/9/3621402/when-if-kevin-kolb-returns-he-should-start-for-the-arizona-cardinals?ref=yahoo

6. By Al on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

To the above:

‘It’s terrible to take a mans money for something that’s only a 15 yard penalty’ Did you really just say that? The penalty has nothing to do with it. It’s the fact that the player made an illegal hit that could injure a player which, like you said, could put them out of the league much sooner than they would like to be.

If you were to leave everything in the officials hands then you’d see a ton more of these hits as the refs don’t see every single hit (just like the no-call mentioned in the article). If players knew there’s a chance they could get away with it unpunished I think you’d see twice as many cheap shots taken in a game.

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Kolb

I would think Kevin would have to restructure his contract, but I’m not ruling his return out.

8. By rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

Draft O lineman rounds 1 and 2, look for another CB and QB in the draft(nothin too fancy), maybe another TE, cut Heap, Ryan Williams, Toler and Gay, trade Skelton for Rodgers-Cromartie, Keep Lindley, trade Doucet for a Safety, trade Dan Williams for a 1st round pick and seek a running back via free agency, keep Wells, keep Adams, fire Miller.

9. By rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

trade Doucet for a pick and draft another wide out

10. By Brett on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

is that you scuba, ROTB??

11. By Rio on Nov 10, 2012 | Reply

the guy above me said trade Williams for a first round pick, i would like to know what he is smoking. no way that could happen maybe a 4th round pick.

Kolb is out for the year there is no way he can come back from that , one hit and he would be out of the game again.

Skelton is good without the drops he brings us back, the guy can’t play defense and offensive taclkle or guard for that matter. He is just a young kid and is going to be a real good QB.

12. By GMAN on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Is Calais Campbell injured with a leg problem???

13. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Nov 11, 2012 | Reply

Rio,

Maybe Skelton can be good if he can stop his streak of 12 straight games with at least 1 interception. Skelton is the biggest bum in the NFL. Look at his career QB rating. Dude is dead last for active QB’s. can’t blame the D for that one.

14. By jocards on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

After watching the Rams/49ers game yesterday it is becoming more and more difficult not to question the integrity of some of these games.

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

GMan —

RE: Campbell

Those are the reports, yes. Nothing official yet.

16. By Jared15 on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

Those are quite lofty moves. Skelton for DRC? Never happening. Dan Williams for a first rounder? Ditto. Also, what team will be willing to part with a quality safety for Doucet? I’m a dreamer too, but these are lofty.