A slot for Andre Roberts

Posted by Darren Urban on November 12, 2012 – 2:16 pm

Rookie first-round pick Michael Floyd is going to be playing more. That’s obvious. But if Floyd plays more, there is a trickle-down effect. In three-receiver sets, that means Early Doucet, coming off a rough game in Green Bay with drops, probably is the odd man out. In two-receiver sets, I still expect Andre Roberts to line up most of the time with Larry Fitzgerald. Roberts has earned that. But in three-receiver sets, Floyd is the prototypical outside receiver. Roberts fits both outside and inside, so it would make sense that in those situations, Roberts would be the slot receiver.

“If Mike played more, he’s just learning the ‘Z’ (position) and I would be forced to go into the slot,” Roberts said. “I don’t know what that would do to my reps. We have a whole bunch of formations. We’ll see.”

Roberts said in his third season, he is expected to be a playmaker. Sometimes those bigger plays are easier done on the outside. But Roberts also understands the need to fill in wherever the team might need him.

“I love playing on the outside,” Roberts said. “You get a lot more deep passes. But I love working in the slot too. The matchups (are good), I think I have a good feel for it. Like Fitz always says, he’s going against the No. 1 corner. And usually the No. 2 guy is on the outside, so the slot gets, not lesser talent but on the depth chart, the No. 3 guy.”

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “A slot for Andre Roberts”

1. By john the draft guy on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

First Darren, let me say, ” How Bout Those Aggies ”

OK, on to the article. Roberts, it is time to embrace the slot. Don’t forget what Steve Breaston was able to do in the slot. Matching up with nicklebacks or safeties, or zones with LBs dropping, you could have a field day. (OK, I know Breaston was outside as the Z also when Boldin was out and sometimes Boldin dropped inside and played the slot when healthy- But, Lets not ruin the moment)

I still believe you can tear it up inside.

2. By jocards on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Early Doucet has had issues dropping the football for as long as he has been in the NFL. I’m not as familiar with college football so I don’t really know if this was an issue for him at LSU….but since he has been with the Cardinals he has had bouts of the “dropsies”. Too bad because when he catches the football he is a tough receiver and actually reminded me of Boldin in some ways….but Bolding caught the ball with a lot more regularity. In the NFL a receiver drops the ball he isn’t a receiver for long.

3. By hummer53 on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

I heard someone yesterday say that the Falcons losing to NO was bad for the Cards. Atlanta will be upset and take it out on AZ.
    What? How come we are not the team upset and mad. We have lost the last 5 games. Most NFL teams are close in talent. Difference is preparations and game day focus and intensity. We have less than two months left in the regular season. If our players and coaches can’t “get up” and focus on their responsibilities for a few more weeks, then maybe they don’t belong with this organization going forward next year and beyond.

4. By Dynosoar on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

jocards,

WWF? My sanity remains intact (despite what my friends and family believe about whether I’ve ever been sane) because when bad calls happen, I just say, well Mr. McMann is actually behind Mr. Goodell. Then all is right in my world.

Whether games are scripted or not (and sometimes I wonder when the anouncers highlite a particular player with onscreen graphics and commentary before a snap and low and behold, that player is targeted on that play) I enjoy watching my cardinals on the field.

Win or lose, with or without my T-F hat on, I do enjoy the game.

No I’m not advocating conspiracies in the NFL, but the referee’s calls (and no-calls) make me wonder more often than I probably should.

The Seattle packers game also had a defensive pass int. that was clearly offensive and another ignored against Seattle.

Watching our SB game, I feel the Steelers were given calls that let them build a lead, then we were allowed to catch up (the world would have turned red if Larry’s catch and run had been called back) and once the point spread was guaranteed, they let the game run it’s course and at that point, the Steelers made the plays.

Conspiracy? I don’t know. It sometimes looks like it. Either way, I’m entertained and I do have that game on my DVR and I still watch it. Along with others (Like the 90+ scoring Playoff against GB.

Go Cards!

5. By rdixon50 on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Dynosaur,

I have mine DVR’d as well – still get chills when Larry breaks down the middle of the field. And yes, Adams did get a hand on Rodgers’ face mask, but it wasn’t called and Dansby did the rest.

6. By Dynosoar on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

I love that we have Andre Roberts!

Fantasy wise (and it’s a pretty good indicator) he’s among the best in the league.

Boldin: 548 yards and 1 TD
    Breaston: 61 yards and 0 TD’s
    Fitzgerald: 585 yards and 4 TD’s
    Roberts: 540 yards and 5 TD’s!!!!
    Floyd: 207 yards and 1 TD
    Doucet: 159 yards and 0 TD’s

I’ve always liked Early, but while he may not have been the best choice, he’s allowed Floyd time to develop. Obviously (and Baltimore just had a game with 55 points) the Boldin and Breaston moves were good moves for us. Andre is a better receiver (at least stats wise) than either we let go.

Washington is also impacting the game more than Dansby is and has anyone looked at Rodgers-Cromartie? As much as I liked them, both trades were good.

Dansby: 52 tackles 1 sack 0 forced fumbles
    Washington: 64 tackles 8 sacks 2 forced fumbles

Rodgers-Cromartie: 18 tackles 12 PDef. 3 Int 14 yrds
    Patrick Peterson: 26 tackles 12 PDef. 3 Int 33 yrds

Our front office is doing well with trading and replacing players. That is, unless we’re trying to replace what’s looking more and more likely an irreplaceable Kurt Warner. Peyton Manning has the best QB rating after Sunday, could he have done as well in the Desert? Maybe, maybe not. I’m good with who we have.

7. By jocards on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

@ Dynosoar –
    You’re a funny guy….No, I don’t think the fix is in for the NFL…at least not so much that most would notice or care to notice. I watch every week too and if I really believed the outcomes were completely preordained I suppose I wouldn’t watch. I do however believe that it is good business for the NFL if Tom Brady or the MVP with more endorsement TV time than anybody this side of Peyton Manning succeeds and wins more games than they lose….I mean I can’t envision John Skelton bringing in much money for State Farm or anybody else doing a discount double check every time a commercial break comes around. I just think that certain teams and certain players get calls that really put teams like the Cardinals in a tough spot. It is one thing to stop a player like Rodgers on 3rd down once but to have to do it numerous times because of the old “illegal contact” or “pass interference” that extended the drive for him again is another.

8. By Credit Card on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

I thought the Cards needed to have Floyd playing most of the snaps from the beginning of the season. Not that he earned it, but rather the NFL and receivers is trying to create mis-matches. Fitzgerald, Roberts, and Floyd are three different receivers. Their size, speed, athletism is vastly different between each other. This brings a much better mis-matching opportunity for the Cards. What I also like about these three receivers — is that they have proven they will block.

9. By Dynosoar on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

jocards,

Thanks for the pleasant exchange, we’ll have to do it again sometime. So, did you see my reply to AndyStandsUp’s comment about “it’s like kissing your sister”? Now that’s funny and it’s a true story. (Or, at least it’s funny to those of us from the South.)

I’d love to see Skelton doing the Discount Double Check. More so in the endzone than in a commercial. I remember last season reading (I think here) that until Peterson establishes himself as a shutdown corner, the tie will go to the established WR and he’ll get PI calls against him. Here’s to him becomming established.

rdixon50,

Fun to see someone else has these games on DVR and still watches them. I wonder if it was a no-call because the refs were tired after Warner and Rodgers firworks display and simply wanted to rest or if the refs just didn’t see it (even Rodgers said it wasn’t a major facemask.) Oh well, still an incredibly enjoyable thrilling game to watch.

Chills is a good way to describe that TD. I mean, Larry didn’t just run, he accelerated!

10. By Chuck 1 on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Re: Payton Manning, mentioned in this thread.

If I were Payton, why would I have signed with the Cards?
    He knew what kind of an OL would have been protecting him.
    Good choice, Payton.
    I would love to see him take the Broncs all the way to the SB.

11. By cardsalltheway on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

“Roberts fits both outside and inside, so it would make sense that in those situations, Roberts would be the slot receiver.”

But who “fits” better to absorb the rude awakening hits Early Doucet often received? I’d like to see Michael Floyd go across the middle like E. Doucet a few times and see how he does.

12. By truths4all on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

And make no mistake in forgetting that HUGE Doucet mistale when the Cards were still in playoff contention last year in the Bengals game when their pass defense failed to cover Doucet. Skelton immediately recognized the blown coverage as did Doucet. Skelton did not hesitate to pass the ball into the wide open spot at the goal line only to see Doucet tripping over his own feet and fall.

13. By wonderingwhy on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren now that beanie is back and healthy are they going to trade him for somebody more durable? Don’t get me wrong he is good when he is healthy but that has not been that often.

14. By CardInColorado on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Andre just needs to accept that in the next couple of years he could be the slot guy… That is if Floyd develops like we all hope.

I think he just needs to emulate Wes Welker. That guy is small and quick just like Roberts and still demands attention.

15. By jocards on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Now I don’t want to rail on and on about certain teams (Steelers) getting calls that greatly aide their cause each week…..So I’ll only briefly get on my soapbox and point out that the Steelers received three calls on MNF last night, all on 3rd down and all resulting in a first down that allowed them to extend a drive that ultimately resulted in a FG (to make it 13-10 at the time)….They did all of this without really having to make a single play. One of the calls was unsportsmanlike conduct which was just the Chiefs being stupid and doing a choreographed celebration….The others were highly questionable pass interference and roughing the passer calls. Teams do not even have to make a play to win anymore and it is seemingly getting worse all the time….I apologize for my same rant and now return you to your comment board.

16. By D on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

The pressure has to be mounting in Tempe. Look at the division-SF appears to be solid for several more years…Seattle is young and strong…probably has a good chance of the wildcard this year…St. Louis has two first round draft picks this spring and have some talent on the roster….AZ can’t screw up this offseason….

17. By Darren Urban on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

wondering —

RE: Trade

The trade deadline has passed.

18. By john the draft guy on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Wondering why

It always puzzles me when people post trades like this. (forget the deadline has passed)
    So, why would you want to get rid of Beanie? You say because he is not durable, he can’t stay healthy and we need a runningback who stays healthy.

So, knowing that, why would another team trade for him? The other teams know the same stuff. And if you were able to find someone to trade with, what do you really think they would give us? A late round pick?

So, what it comes down to is, are we ready to dump Beanie? I think many posters would say yes. I think the frustration of a first rounder being banged up all the time is mounting.

Beanie is huge and runs upright. There is a lot of him to hit , opposed to a guy like Michael Turner who is all knees and shoulders. With this running style, he his always going to be banged up. One option is to use him more as a guy like Bettis at the end or how tampa is using Blount, to close out games. The other, is to release him at the end of the year. That will be a tough call but ultimately, if you can’t be on the field, it is hard to keep you.

Unfortunately, Ryan Williams ended up being injured 2 years in a row and, although I love his spirit, it is becoming more difficult to count on him. There are plenty of good backs in the draft and the cards should spend a middle to late rounder on one. Or keep one eye open on New Orleans. They barely use Ingram, Ivory looks good and Pierre is the starter. Not to mention Sproles. I wonder if Ingram can be had for a middle round pick next year? Ingrams and LSH as our 1-2 punch. I like the sound of that.

19. By Dynosoar on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

I would love to be in a division were the only losses any team receives is to each other. Then even when we have a losing season, everyone would keep talking about how we’re the best (Can you here me Dallas?).

Seriously, if our division elevated to this level of play, we would all improve. Let the road to the Super Bowl come through the NFC West from now on.

I still believe we can hit the playoffs and if we do, we will be re-energized and go all the way. We just need 6 of the next 7 (maybe all 7).

It’s hard to go to the Big Dance two years in a row, so we need to focus on this year. Make a deep run next year and go again the next. Can you imagine home field advantage in that Super Bowl? I can and it is sweet.

20. By D on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

I thik Michael B should fly out to LA and try the hard sell on Jimmie Johnson to be the GM/player personnel and draft guru for the Cards….

21. By Dynosoar on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Chuck1,

but with Manning in Arizona, would our O-Line give up as many hits and sacks? Unlike the Tootsie Roll Pop that takes three licks to get to the center, the world will never know.

Being a Tennessee fan, I’ve followed Manning for some time and wouldn’t want him subject to punishment, but if he really wanted serious O-Line protection, why didn’t he pursue Buffalo? I think they would’ve given him the best AFC chance at another ring. I wonder how huge a factor it was that Eli plays NFC.

Anyway, I agree the punishment allowed to our QB’s is devastating and at the same time wonder if Manning, who reads defenses like a second grade book would’ve made our O-Line better.

I don’t know and so I enjoy the QB’s we have. Trusting our last game is an indication of improved play.

22. By mal on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Moving Floyd up the chart is good, but I wish they would play Byrd ahead of Early, too.