Yes, there are ties in the NFL

Posted by Darren Urban on November 12, 2012 – 9:23 am

Once upon a time, Donovan McNabb took a lot of heat — deservedly so — because he didn’t know an NFL regular-season game ended in a tie if a scoreless overtime quarter was played. McNabb was not alone, however.

Sunday, the 49ers and Rams played to a 24-24 tie (which was brutal for the Rams, who had three good chances to win at the end of regulation and overtime and botched all three on their own.) Afterward, players on both sides expressed surprise there could be a tie, a facepalm moment if there ever was one. Rams receiver Danny Amendola was expecting a second overtime and 49ers safety Dashon Goldson was more incredulous.

“I’ve never heard of a tie in football,” Goldson told reporters. “Where’s everybody going? Did somebody quit? Forfeit?”

I get that players don’t want to end up in a tie. But to not understand one is coming? Crazy. Makes you wonder about the urgency players were feeling — or not feeling — near the end of overtime. In college, of course, there can’t be ties anymore, so maybe that’s the thought process. Now, I’m sure many players do know there can be a tie, but it happens so rarely — McNabb’s faux pas came after the last NFL tie, back in 2008 — that guys forget. The last time the Cardinals had a tie game was a 10-10 final at Philadelphia in 1986, long before the franchise even moved to Arizona. The Cardinals have played 32 regular-season overtime games since then without a tie. For all the overtime games, someone usually is able to score at least once.

Still …

Tags: , ,

40 Responses to “Yes, there are ties in the NFL”

1. By Dynosoar on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

I like this tie. Wow, is the NFC West the best division in the NFL or what? Now that the Falcons have had their first loss, will they be easier to defeat next week or harder?

We should be like Kurt Warnerafter after he threw four or five interceptions, he’d follow with a win, not another loss.

Let’s show those dirty birds a real Birdgang! and let’s make the 49ers and the Rams rue the day of their tie. The division is still anybody’s for the taking if we could just get the ship righted.

Please Cardinals, let the bye just be a bye and not a bye bye. I so want to see this team succed and I really believe we’ve got the players that can succeed. Let’s take the hardest schedule left and run rampant.

Score, Score and Score!

2. By Danny Heksolson on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

This is embarrasing, i dont think it is a “though process” Darren, a serious lack of football knowledge thats what it is. It cant happen they ignore the rules, for Christ sake!

3. By MIKE G on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren–Hope all is well! I don’t think todays players are real students of the game in knowing the rules as players in the past. I also think some of these players are not very smart. But I believe the coaches should let their team know the situation as a game approaches overtime. Hey Darren–Do you think NFL regular season games should end in a tie or do you think they should keep playing until someone wins???

4. By Cardinalmark on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

The Rams players and coaches took the lead in how to blow a game!! What a gaffe that was for the Rams!! Hope they continue there woes against the Big Red in two weeks!!

5. By D on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

It will be interesting to see what happens in Tempe if the Cards only win 1 or 2 games in the final 7 (even the Rams will be tough and the Jet game is on the road)–Will the SB give Whiz another year, or will Mr. B want a change. I like Whiz and think he is a good coach, but I don’t like how the Org measures talent and conducts it’s drafts. Instead of trying to find the next K. Warner or pick up Off lineman in free agency, it’s time to draft and groom players. If the current coaching staff doesn’t want to go that route, then maybe it’s time for a change. I would keep Horton around either at HC or D Cord if possible. Their will be plenty of OC and Oline coaches looking for work this offseason. To me, the following scenario would greatly improve this team. (yes I know many things would need to occur for this situation to happen)

Cards finish season with a draft pick at 9.
    A few players have slipped down to them, like some good corners and DT’s which teams covet.
    (but the top 2 QB’s and best tackle have been drafted)
    Try to trade down to 21 in first round. Pick up an additional 2 and 3rd round picks.
    Selection at 21st would be: T. Lewan OT Mich
    2nd Round: L. Jones QB OK
    2nd Round: L. Warford OG KY
    3rd Round: S. Taylor RB Stanford
    3rd Round: J. Bostic ILB FL
    4th Round: D. Jones DE UCLA
    5th Round: D. Williams SS Nevada

6. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

The 10 – 10 Cards/Eagles tie has been considered by most as the worst Monday Night Football game ever.
    And in relative terms, Darren, that 1986 game wasn’t “…long before the franchise even moved to Arizona”. Wasn’t it announced in early 1988?
    The famous quote for a tie is “That it’s like kissing your sister.”

That has to be a heck of a lot better than kissing your brother, though.

7. By jocards on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren – Just needing some clarification; On the Rams 80 yard completion in OT that was called back for an illegal formation (Tackle uncovered and not reporting himself as an eligible receiver), Did the referee actually go back and look at video and ask the other officials if the tackle had reported? Mike Pereira suggested something like that might have happened during the broadcast which certainly would seem to be outside of the rules if indeed that is what took place. Either it’s a penalty at the snap of the ball or it isn’t, right? I never saw any flag nor did the announcing crew….Did you happen to see the play?

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Ties

I have no problem with the current set-up. It happens so infrequently, it’s fine.

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Long time before

Well, since when that game happened there was no talk about the Cards moving yet, I’m saying it was long before.

10. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

jocards —

RE: Illegal formation

The network switched over to the game just as they were marking off the penalty. I’m pretty sure a flag was thrown — I remember the graphic throwing up the “flag” and that doesn’t happen without a flag. I don’t know about the rest, although it was clearly a penalty. Had they let it go, would anyone have noticed? Probably not. But it was a penalty. And a dumb one at that.

11. By jocards on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren –
    I didn’t see the graphic display that a flag had been thrown. Perhaps I missed it…I completely agree that it was a penalty and certainly was a dumb one. I just wondered if it had only been called after the official (at the behest of the 49ers) had looked at it on video and then made the call. If the flag was thrown at the snap I have no problem with the call.

12. By MIKE G on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

–Andystandsup

That 10-10 tie with the Eagles was not a Monday Night game- it was a Sunday afternoon game at the Vet when Buddy Ryan was coaching the Team. Both offense’s really struggled that day. Gene Stallings coached the Card’s that year and their offense was really ineffective all year. The Monday Night game you are thinking about was in 1983 when the Card’s played the Giants—20-20 tie–Neil O’Donoghue I believe missed two field goals in OT–and so did the Giants kicker. Howard Cosell had fun talking about that game.

13. By Lynn on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren:

It’s one thing for the players not to have known at the time, but with each team in the NFL having between 15 and 20 coaches, am I to believe that not one of them had the foresight to make their team aware of the overetime rules. It begs the question, how many coaches, head or positional, did not know the rule?

14. By jocards on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Also inside a minute in OT, the Rams have the ball at around their own 40, no timeouts left with I believe a 1st and 10…The line is set and Bradford will undoubtedly spike the ball to kill the clock but the official runs in, grabs the ball and “re-spots” it three yards further back. The problem is that the clock is still running and that little move cost the Rams probably 10 seconds after the chains are moved, etc. The official probably spotted it correctly but shouldn’t the whistle blow and the clock stop while the official’s error is corrected? Some games and for some teams something just doesn’t seem quite right as far as the referees go….it really makes me wonder…..yet I’ll continue to watch.

15. By Ed on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Is it possible maybe the coach would say something to the players???? Like, “OK, we have one more quarter boys and then this thing is over. We don’t want a tie so let’s go out and finish them.” I know Coach Wiz wouldn’t let his team go into overtime without letting them know.

16. By Dynosoar on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

jocards,

You’ve read my posts durring the referee lockout, so my only question is this…

Did you get your tin-foil hat at the same place I got mine?

Yeah, you have to wonder at some of the calls and no-calls in some games. last season or the one before I watched a Steeler launch a helmet to helmet hit against the Miami quarterback, with the QB out of bounds, and official standing watching the hit and the QB flopped unconscious. No call.

Yeah, my tin foil hat is on and sending me signals. And like you, I’ll keep watching, extra timeouts and all.

17. By Mr Robles on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Its so STUPID when its mid season & Idiots not people are talking about the draft like really were’s your faith in your team…I Still Believe we will make the playoff’s regardless of the situation I hate bandwagoner’s really do, LETS GO CARDINALS let’s make our push new season starts this week. Darren whats Kolb’s & Heap’s status? & Is Floyd the #3 Reciever now? so for the frustrating remarks…

18. By dennis on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

There is no excuse for any NFL player not knowing the rules of Overtime. Just goes to show you what’s between their ears.

19. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

@MIKE G

Good call, that was 1983.

And that was one UGLY game, IIRC. (Which evidently, I have a problem with.)

20. By Dynosoar on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

AndyStandsUp,

When living in Vegas, I remember a friend of mine and me were walking by and overheard some friends in the foyer at church, all ladies (we we’re all single and 25 – 30 or so).

One was relating how a friend of hers was on a first date and as they were discussing they realized they were from the same small NV town, then discovered they were second cousins.

A collected Ewwwe! came from all of them.

I don’t remember if it was Bryan (from S. Carolina) or me (from Tennessee) that spoke up and said “Hey, it’s o.k. to date a second cousin. you just can’t go any further.”

The women all looked at us and the other of us (again, don’t remember which) said, “They have to be at least a first cousin to go any further.”

Needless to say, we were run off and none of them spoke to either of us for at least a week. Sometimes good Southern Humor should just stay in the South.

21. By Cert 33 on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

After studying the remaining 2012 schedule, it appears that 5-12, possibly 6-10, is the best the Cards can hope for this year. This should open up the draft to try and fix what now is referred to by several NFL pundits as the absolute “worst offensive line in Pro Football”. I think there is little doubt on this one and one has to wonder how it came to be in the first place as the “starters” at both tackles were actually worse than the back-ups among other problems. Ray Rhodes for Head Coach. This screw-up, after being exploited by Miami and put on video for the rest of our scheduled opponents to duplicate, has cost us our season. Thanks, Whiz

22. By jocards on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

@ Dynosoar –
    The more I watch the NFL the more I wonder….It isn’t always the blatant game ending call either. It can often be just a 5 yard illegal contact to continue a drive that converts a 3rd down into a 1st for Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or of course the debatable pass interference call that places the ball at the 1 yard line. The point is that teams don’t even have to make a play to win the game and certain teams seem to get these calls while others do not. The replacement referee fiasco actually made me believe it even more….The Packers lose a game to the Seahawks on an extremely questionable call. That’s it! The lockout is over; the regular referees are back at work within a matter of days! The Packers lost a game on a bad call! This can’t be! I’ll bet that if the Cardinals had lost that game it would have been, “Oh well, bad call, too bad, tough break. On to next week”. I feel like I’m watching the WWF sometimes….

23. By Rich on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

What’s your opinion that the Cards would consider moving Levi Brown to guard when he returns next year?
    rich

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Rich —

RE: Levi at guard

I think I’d have to know I was set at tackle first. And I think the Cards are far from that right now.

25. By cardsalltheway on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Question: Is there something wrong with or is C.C. injured?

Answer: “What? we didn’t report that.”

Guess who said that? Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!! Ken W. denies Calais Campbell is injured or expects players to ignore and/or play through injuries.

Good thing C.C.’s leg is the only thing thought to be injured and not his head aye?

26. By cardsalltheway on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Ed,
    “I know Coach Wiz wouldn’t let his team go into overtime without letting them know.”

And you know this how? Oh it must be because 3 new NFC West coaches would never be able to enter the division and surpass Ken W.’s team. As I remember correctly the 9ers Mike Singletary schooled Ken W. so watching it happen this year will be no surprise.

27. By john the draft guy on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Jocards;

I was watching the game on Sunday Ticket. Yes, the penalty was thrown at the time of the play. What a huge play and I would say it cost them the game. But that delay of game on the 53 yards made FG that ended up being a missed 58 yarder was even a bigger mistake.

I guess when a good coach takes over, these are the things he has to fight to correct to turn the team around. He will do it. I knew Fisher was bad news for the NFC West.

28. By john the draft guy on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Mr Robles,
    I think the subject regarding “bandwagon fans” has been covered really well by some posters. (sorry, I cant remember who) . A team with 3 playoff appearences in 22 years has fans. Period. Just because they believe they have seen this all before and are ready to move on to next year for hope doesn’t mean they are bandwagoners.
    Some of us think the season is won and lost in April. So facing a season slipping away, you begin looking for hope in April.

Our season comes down to seeing if Potter can seize the LT spot, If Fleming can unseed Gay, If Dan Williams is the right NT and the excitement of watching guys like Housler and Roberts develop into good players.

We root for something different, but , after 20 years of season tickets, I’ve seen this before.

Unfortunately, we don’t even have a young QB to give us hope like the Skins, Colts, Seahawks or Dolphins, or now, even the Eagles.

29. By jocards on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

@ john the draft guy –

Totally agree about Jeff Fisher. That guy is a good coach and will get the Rams turned around sooner rather than later. He already began to put his plan into action trading down in last season’s draft with Washington and stock piling picks….He’ll use the extra picks to plug some of the holes they still have. He has a system and a plan that works and there is no doubt that the Rams are a better team today than they were last season at this time.

30. By sarah on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

I saw the score and the time and could not figure how the game could still be going on, crazy. The CFL has a sudden death which is good, each team gets to scrimmage from their own 40, once each team gets a shot the one that finally scores decides it.

31. By Chris Lewis on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

I think the NFL should do away with the tie, actually no sport should have a tie, somebody has to win the game. I like the new tiebreaker system this year except the part where if no team scores after the first ovetime quarter, it’s a tie, they should take a break, then play into the 2nd overtime quarter with sudden death, first team to score a field goal or touchdown wins the game. The only ties I like are the ones you wear around your neck.

32. By nodavis2000 on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I’m surprised no one has asked this yet, but I will. How does a tie affect us, since in our division??? I don’t know how that would work out. For example:
    We go 10-6. Niners are 10-5-1.
    Do the Niners come out on top since they have one less loss than us??? Please help me understand how this would impact the standings. Thanks!!!

33. By cardinalmark on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Let’s face it, college football has a very good OT!! Both teams have an even chance to win, and you get a winner, no ties!!

34. By Credit Card on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Another NFL mystery: Each team employs a guy to squirt water in the mouths of players during a time-out in the course of a game. I guess their afraid the recievers might drop the water bottle, the running backs fumble it, the QB may pass his bottle to the wrong player, and finally lineman holding the bottle wrong.

35. By Darren Urban on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Nodavis –

RE: tie

Yes, if a team is 10-5-1 it has a better record than a team 10-6.

36. By Chuck 1 on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

D,

Looking at the current standings, the Cards would draft around #15.
    Based on the remaining schedule, I would think that they would end up about #8-10.

Mr. Robles,

As john the draft guy wrote, fans who look ahead to the draft are facing the reality of what has happened this season, what will probably happen over the remaining games and are HOPING that improvements will be made in the upcoming draft and free agency.

Separate subject: I think that I read that the Cards have one of the older rosters in the NFL, whereas the Seahawks have one of the younger rosters. It will probably take the Cards a couple of years to make the roster younger (if they even want to do it).

37. By jason marcus on Nov 12, 2012 | Reply

Ok enough Tie TALK LETS TALK W CARD FANS AND LIKE 5 MORE BEFORE THE SEASONS UP I BELIEVE IN THE LITTLE RED BIRD GO CARDS.

38. By Jordan on Nov 13, 2012 | Reply

Man I like Whiz, but I just don’t know if he’s the man for the job. I haven’t given up on him but I’m starting to doubt a little bit whether or not he’s the man for the job. If this season doesn’t get turned around I think it’ll be time for a change. If we’re at risk of losing Ray Horton to another team looking to make him a HC, then i think we should get rid of Whiz and promote Horton to HC. It wouldn’t be nearly as important to find a quality DC if we did that because we’ve still got Ray. Of course this is all just hypothetical, and I’m hoping none of this is necessary and we can get W’s with what we have right now!

39. By amandajorge02 on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply