No QB announcement, but a bunch of other news

Posted by Darren Urban on November 19, 2012 – 11:41 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt wasn’t naming a starting quarterback for this week yet. Evaluation is still coming. Kevin Kolb is working to get back, and Whiz said Ryan Lindley did OK. He also said Lindley had impressed him at practice over the weeks. He never considered started Lindley in Atlanta after John Skelton had a good game in Green Bay, but said watching Skelton miss too many opportunities early in Atlanta led him to make the change. Much more on this later in a homepage story.

– Whiz on safety Adrian Wilson dealing with his demotion: “It’s never easy but Adrian is a real pro and he handled it well. But that’s where we are as a team. James (Sanders) and Rashad (Johnson) deserved a chance. We are trying to get better.”

– Running back Beanie Wells will be activated off injured reserve this week, Whiz said, and the Cards expect him to play Sunday.

– Regarding rookie left tackle Nate Potter’s first NFL start: “He fought and I think he’s going to be OK out there.”

– Nothing new on cornerback Patrick Peterson. He left the game briefly with a hamstring problem. Whiz said Peterson told him it was cramps.

– Whiz said that given the Cards’ problems, he’d have to at least consider changes within the duties of the coaching staff. One example suggested to Whiz was play-calling. The coach certainly didn’t commit to doing that, but “that’s something that you look at.”

– Rookie receiver Michael Floyd was benched after lining up wrong, but Whisenhunt said Floyd also had come out of a route wrong earlier, leading to an incompletion. With the Cards’ margin for error slim to none, that wasn’t going to work. “When you are where we are offensively, you have to create a sense of urgency to make plays and be held accountable for that,” Whisenhunt said.

– On dealing with the six-game losing streak: “It’s tough. It’s tough. Don’t think for a second it doesn’t burn a hole in my gut or in the players’ bellies. … We’ve been in the games. I’m not defending it, but in my career, if you have a team that’s in a lot of games, it shows you are making progress. We’ve had some setbacks with injuries and we are trying to fight through that. I know it’s not easy. We’re not happy about it and I appreciate the support of our fans.

“Ultimately our goal is to make our fans proud. I know we’ve done that when we went to the Super Bowl and the playoffs and we haven’t forgotten that, and we have a lot of young players in here that understand that.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

104 Responses to “No QB announcement, but a bunch of other news”

1. By SteveG on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

How annoying was THAT game?

Main thing I see was the statement of” We are in every game” (SF is straight up one of the better teams in the league right now).

Our 4 wins were close 5 of the 6 losses are close…The team is close…Health and Kolb and we would be in a different place….

I am looking forward t seeing if Whiz can keep the team as he did last year. I think he will and that we will grow and thrive ultimately..but a painful year and no fun which will make the inevitable good times that much sweeter.

2. By sarah on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

”The Cardinals offense did not complete a third down on their final six drives. During two short-yardage situations in the fourth quarter, Arizona predictably elected to run the ball with Stephens-Howling and the Falcons defense snuffed out both attempts.”

The above sums up the frustration. Atlanta adjusted to LSH, it should not have even been a game considering how Ryan played and turned the ball over. That there was hope for the season !

3. By Brad on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

4. By truths4all on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

After being second-guessed by most Cards fans as well as the national football experts and the national sports news media, how can Whisenhut do anything but keep starting Lindley until Kolb returns. If he did not have the confidence for Skelton to play with a lead in Atlanta, how can he justify playing Skelton anymore except has a emergency back-up. Whisenhut does these desperation moves all of the time and they backfire. The last one was playing Max Hall when he fooled Whisenhut and the other coaches that he could talk the talk (his mental mastery of the playbook), but then showed he could not physically walk the walk or play the position.

Whisenhut has again dug a hole that will cost the team, just like his mismanagement of the Leinart situation. Whisenhut’s cutting off his nose to spite his face meant the team had to rely on DA and then he turned to Max Hall in desperation. Whisenhut is not showing us good football decisions and it is costing the team.

Kurt Warner was the key for the Cards recent success. They were successful when they let him play to his strengths and they have failed since he left. And to think Whisenhut almost selected Leinart to be the starter! Make no mistake to keep giving Whisenhut credit to keep riding on Warner’s coattails. In fact, Whisenhut was to arrogant, when Warner asked them to upgrade the offensive line to give him more time to pass and have a running game, Whisenhut told Warner the offensive line was just fine.

We now see that Whisenhut is just another so-so head coach in the NFL. If he keeps these crazy and dumb personnel decisions coming, he will be the Cards head coach Not For Long.

5. By Patches O'Houlihan on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

He appreciates the support of the fans? Mighty presumptious of him to think he has the support of the fans, wouldn’t you say? But then again, Whis probably comes in second behind Belicheck as the coach who spouts the most empty words. Saying “I appreciate the fans” is as rote of a move to Whis as taking a morning dump.

And Whis, how about a word or two on the mystery that is the Grim Heaper? If you and the organization were used by a guy looking for a team to bid against itself and give him one last payday just say so. If you appreciate the fans so much you wouldn’t insult their intelligence by putting the Heaper on the “questionable” list every week only to have him goof off on the sidelines and eat sunflower seeds.

6. By Eric G on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Ugh, time for Whiz to go. Yesterday was just a microcosm of his ineptitude as a head coach. He just doesn’t know what he’d doing. Warner, Fitz and Haley clearly made him look good 4 years ago. The Steelers of the West experiment has failed us miserably. Anyone who benches A-Dub doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Do the right thing Michael and let him go at the end of the season and do whatever it takes to keep Horton at the end of the season.

7. By rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Lets start benching everybody, flags, jumping off sides, not clapping on the huddle break, hahahahahaha wow.

8. By rodgerscromartie17 on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Bench Beanie this sunday after the first quarter im sure his toe will be soar or something, seems like a good enough reason

9. By Tim in NJ on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Its not over Coach Whiz and Big Red fans- 49ers have an injured QB now too and if Cardinals can get Kolb back I can see them going on a run to make the end of the season very interesting!

Lets hope for Kolb and Beanie to add the spark to the offense this upcoming week vs Rams and a great 12th man advantage.

Go Cardinals!
    ~Tim in NJ

10. By Steve on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

We are making progress because we are in close games? I understand Atlanta is one of the best teams in the league but that statement by Whis is ridiculous. Our offense has been embarrassing this year and it’s even more embarrassing when you are the first team to pick a QB off 5 times and not give up a TD pass and lose. There are no moral victories in pro football and I don’t think Fitz, Dockett, Dwash, PP21, Campbell and the rest of the guys (AND certainly not the fans) feel like we are making progress just because we have been competitive in some of the losses. I bleed Cardinal red but the direction of this team is just discouraging, we are wasting Fitz’s prime and are more than likely back to square one at looking for a Qb when the off season rolls around. Maybe we will get lucky like we did with Warner and find a Qb that can lead us to the playoffs this offseason who knows but this season is over. Whis better make some staff changes on offense this off-season as I think was evident by his quick hook of Skelton Sunday he is certainly on the hot seat.

11. By AndyStandsUp on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Skelton started 2 out 6 for 17 yards with a sack, in the GB game. I’ll never understand the QB change of cutting off your nose tackle to spite your own face. You play to win the game, not make change for change sake.
    Tired of the cliches. Any reasoning of why the Cards didn’t go for a FG ( I think it was second quarter) when stopped at the ATL 38, Darren? Did Whisenhunt think that if he’d pulled Feely that Zastudil couldn’t make it?

12. By ALONEEAGLE on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

It’s been awhile since I have posted. Yesterday’s game made me sick. I am not sure what else the defense can do (except maybe score on the interceptions,,joke, joke, Ha,Ha) Seriously, the defense was great. I may have a lot of fans get upset with this comment, but I believe, especially after reading this article, Coach Whiz made several crucial mistakes, starting with the benching of Skelton. Granted he didn’t start the game out well, but then again he has been infamous for that, yet look what he has done in the 4th quarter. Throwing Lindley in was irresponsible coaching. Practice is on thing. A live game in the regular season with all starters on the defense? They were licking their chops. Lindley had no business in there. He was telegraphing his passes and rushing everything. He Whiz given Skelton the opportunity to play the game, I firmly believe the Cards come out of Atlanta as a 500 team. Benching Floyd because he lined up wrong? I am here to say, Floyd may be starting his career slowly, but he has more talent in his 1 hand than Doucet has in his whole body. Obviously Lindley and Floyd have not played together. It was a bad pass, and he still almost caught it with one hand. I watched the replay. I remember watching Floyd at N.D. I was thrilled when we drafted him. to bench one of your best weapons for lining up wrong and coming out of a route wrong? Maybe Coach Whiz should be benched for some of the bone-headed plays he has called over the past few weeks that have cost us games, such as a QB carry on 4th and 1around the right side that cost us the ball as well as the game. Listening to the analysts correctly, The Coach makes the ultimate decision on the play. His play calling is starting to come into question as well as his changes in the line up. Leaving on a positive note, The O-Line was greatly improved, Hyphen was awesome and Nise job for the most part Nate Potter. Alright RED Nation, have at me!!

13. By ALONEEAGLE on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, not the greatest typer, have a great day!!

14. By Michelle on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Hang in there it will get better. One of your biggest fans :-)

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: FG v punt

Miss there and the Falcons have a short field. With the way the defense was playing, punting made more sense. I would have done the same.

16. By jocards on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

If Kolb is unable to go I can’t see any reason that you wouldn’t start Lindley against the Rams at this point. It doesn’t make any sense that you’d go back to Skelton now IMO…This team hasn’t won a game in nearly two months and things can’t get a whole lot worse. I was surprised by the move to yank Skelton yesterday and I don’t agree with it given the situation…But this season is lost now and I suppose it is time to take stock and see exactly what we have and don’t have on the roster. I was also surprised and disappointed with Michael Floyd yesterday. Here responds to the chance of seeing more reps and getting his career heading in the direction he’d presumably like it go by lining up in the wrong position, running the wrong routes and not even being on the field when he is supposed to be? Wow…things are bad, things are very bad.

17. By mike hadzinski on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

you still like floyd over decastro? oh ya 1 catch for a 100mill is not goingt to cut it….trade FITZ NOW WILSON DEMOTED TEAM IS ABOUT TO HIT A HARD REBUILD

18. By mike hadzinski on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

SO WHIZ DEMOTES WILSON BUT LENNON START’S ETHAT’S A JOKE WHIZ IS BURNED OUT PLAIN AND SIMPLE HE IS OUT OF ANSWERS CAN’T INJURIES ARE THE REASON WHY B/C THAT’S A B/S LIE

19. By dreadfantasy on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

At least put Wilson in at OLB for the rush if you aren’t going to let him play safety at a pro bowl level.

20. By jocards on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

@ ALONEEAGLE

I understand what you are saying about Floyd and his talent but if this is how he responds to being given an opportunity then I have to question exactly what kind of player we really have here. I mean for goodness sake it wasn’t just lining up wrong and running the wrong route….he wasn’t even on the field when he was supposed to be and we had to burn a timeout because of it. I agree he has talent and I agree we need playmakers on offense….but if he isn’t even interested enough to know when he is supposed to be on the field what in the world are we supposed to do with him? What the bleep has he been doing all week?!? I truly hope these were isolated incidents and that we see a very different Michael Floyd from here on out. Physical mistakes are one thing but it isn’t too much to ask of first pick in the draft to know when he is supposed to be on the field and to know where to line up and what route to run.

21. By Travis on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Brad-
    How dare you use common sense with me!!

22. By Jim in Missouri on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

The thing that strikes me is how Skelton could have gone from good enough to win the starting QB competition in training camp and the preseason to playing so horribly that he is benched in favor of a rookie sixth-round pick in the span of about 11 weeks. In any case, I think Skelton has taken his last meaningful snap as Cardinals QB (unless there’s an emergency, as was referenced above).

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, but I’d bet the turnover on the offensive coaching staff will be pretty large this offseason, and I’d guess at least 2 of the QBs on the roster right now are gone by training camp.

23. By Charley Tapo on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

I think Skelton should stay at QB. The 4 games we won only one of those games did Kolb do good in (Eagles), other than that it was our defense. Skelton had a bad game, but the past two games and more he had 300+ yards. Kolb is not the answer and by time he gets back season will almost over. Skelton has shown great throws and poise in the face of great teams Packers and 49ers. Fact remains if the running game showed up like it did against the Falcons we would have won those games and if kicker had made a short field goal we would have beat Bills. I say keep Skelton starting and offseason get better tackles and guards and let him show what he can do with proper line. If we let him go he’ll sign with a another team and be a huge player in the NFL.

24. By Darren Urban on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

jocards –

RE: In defense of Floyd

I will say this: On the play, Floyd lined up wrong, he was late on the field because Fitz had just gone deep and got shaken up at the end of the incompletion. Fitz was slow to come back the 40 or so yards to the huddle, and clearly, Floyd wasn’t sure if Fitz was staying in or not. Fitz even tried to come back, Floyd went off, and then he was sent on again. So that part wasn’t really his fault. The lining up part? Yes.

25. By BIG RED on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

@ALONEEAGLE your right, I agree.

26. By suspence716 on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

whiz is a joke, I’ve seen enough…. The guy has no idea who should play and who shouldn’t. Stewart Bradley can’t get a snap but you pull wilson and skelton? Haven’t we seen enough of this musical quarterback from whiz? It’s gone leinart to warner back to leinart back to warner back to leinart a lil of brian st pierre and finally warner. Then Leinart to derek anderson to max hall to john skelton to rich bartel to max hall to derek anderson to john skelton to kevin kolb to skelton to bartel to kolb to skelton to kolb to skelton to lindley….. This is seriously how the qb situation has been since whiz has been here, anybody else see a bad trend going on here? Darren? oh nevermind, your so drunk on the whiz kool-aid you can’t wait to defend his next bad decision that hasn’t even happened yet. I can’t wait to see another 2nd and 3 that turns into a 3rd n 3 cuz the play is telegraphed and see the same exact run play up the middle again for no gain and 4th n 3 punt, D’oh says whiz just like homer simspon!!!!!!

27. By jocards on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

RE: In defense of Floyd

I must admit that I wasn’t aware of that….Thanks for the clarification.

28. By cardfan6 on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

I’m not one to usually bash coaches but I can’t help but bring up the colts. they have almost an entirely new offense and there winning… coach whiz all that matters is wins. no one cares about moral victories this isnt a scrimage. its becoming highly annoying how you contiue to ignore important issues. i like floyd but why in the hell wouldnt you draft a olinemen when your o line was pathetic the last 3 years? adding a 30 year old guard who was cut from his team is not going to change your line there bud.

29. By Nick on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

In my humble opinion Whiz is one of the best coaches and football minds in the NFL. What he appears to be terrible at, however, is managing his assistants. What on Earth is Mike Miller calling plays for? The offense has been horrible since week one with Miller- Don’t we have a freakin SuperBowl winning play caller on the sideline? You need to have no offense for 10 games before play calling gets looked at? Six L’s in a row…thats what crummy football teams do, not teams that are “close.”

30. By cardsalltheway on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Brad,
    “I’m hoping they fire Whiz and promote Horton to HC, that way we don’t lose him to another team, it’s obvious to me that we need Horton more then we need Whiz…”

I agree wholeheartedly!

Ken W.
    “We’re not happy about it and I appreciate the support of our fans.
    Ultimately our goal is to make our fans proud. I know we’ve done that when we went to the Super Bowl and the playoffs and we haven’t forgotten that,…”

You have failed miserably at your “goal” and I suggest you forget about the past and start looking to the future.

suspence716,
    Nice post and I couldn’t agree more!

Bad decision to pull J. Skelton for missing 1 pass to Fitz and worse decision not to put him back in after seeing Lindley play the 2nd & 3rd quarters. The smart move would’ve been to put Johnny S. back in the game for the 4th quarter. Ken W. again has shown his inability to give confidence to Johnny Skelton or any of his QB’s. Our QB’s had a combined 3.7% QB rating. We have scored under 10% seven times since K. Warner retired. Ken W. is our head coach and he is suppose to have an offensive mind, yet he the worst offense in the NFL. How long will this go on and be accepted?

31. By cardsalltheway on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Our season is over, we are out of the playoff picture(not mathematically I know, I’m in touch with reality). Nevertheless we aren’t even being considered as a wildcard team while the Saints and Seahawks are. We are only considered as a weak team other teams play against. When is the draft? Next week we might be favored but I’m not counting the Rams out. I predicted we’d lose out previous 3 games and I was correct. Could we actually break our 6 game losing streak from last year?

32. By Brandon M on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

We either need a new HC coach or Offensive coordinator and a new qb. Trading Fitz is the absolute dumbest thing I have ever heard and for just a 1st round pick he is a future hof regardless of if he wins a Superbowl. If anyone thinks that his numbers last game were his fault is an idiot. We just have terrible quarterbacks and despite what many people seem to believe on this thread Kolb coming back isn’t going to solve anything. I personally was hoping Rivers would get dumped by San Diego and we could pick him up and so far that still seems like it could happen. When Beanie comes back hes going to have to share snaps with hyphen you can’t ignore what he’s been able to do. Oh my goodness the defense was just amazing. I’m gonna miss Horton when hes off coaching the Chargers or some other team.

33. By canadian redbird on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Re: ACCOUNTABILITY & WHERE TO GO FROM HERE

Whiz gave us another example of his inconsistency to be consistent about accountability. Sure the kid Floyd made some mistakes but again where is the accountability with the coaches, most notably Grimm and Miller; plus whoever is in charge of the quarterbacks. The sad part is that Graves gave both Grimm and Miller multi year contracts with sub- mediocre results on their resumes. As much as I enjoy Horton’s defence, I don’t think that he is necessarily going to be a good head coach. His expertise lies in developing defensive schemes and being able to adjust during the game from high in the press box. As much as I would like to see both Grimm and Miller’s exit, I think that promoting from within only makes it difficult to find the proper fit at the end of the year.

As per Fitzgerald. He is by far the best player to wear a Cardinal jersey in the last decade, that would include Warner. If you were going to trade him it would be out of respect for Fitz, because the rebuild of the QB & O Line positions could take several years. His statistics are no reflection on what he brings to this team. Never will you find him throwing any of his team mates under the bus.

There is no question that Kolb is our best Qb option. John has had numerous opportunities without consistent results. I don’t suppose Lindley was given many reps with the first team offence prior to Atlanta. My guess is that they start Lindley until Kolb is healthy. Where we go next year will depend on free agency and the draft

34. By Brazilian Fan on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

well… the goal is to make the fans proud. they’re not making me proud demoting one of the franchise stars, not only from defense, but, that represents the whole team as a leader.
    please, Darren, serious question: WHY? was he struggling so much in pass coverage? it’s OK the backups deserve a chance, but that could turn into a bigger story if not clear enough, right?

35. By Dave Chaney on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

As the crystal ball clears, the 4-12 season is becoming more of a reality. Question is…If they finish 4-12 what do they do? Fire the coach, trade or sign a real QB or draft one, how about a RB who stays healthy and on and on and on…the stuck record never ends and it’s one I didn’t like in the first place. I do have this nagging thought about what if they had signed Peyton Manning? Since management has chosen to forget about signing Ray Horton to an extension, you can bet he will be gone next year. I am thinking the team may set a record in the near future for how many consecutive times the stadium ISN’T sold out.

36. By phillycards on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

John skelton is the third round equivalent of ryan leaf. How can whiz look at matt leinart and cut him.
    then look at skelton and say he’s better than kolb and leinart.but initally he wasn’t better than derrek anderson.
    The failure started with whiz increased power and extention.
    To bench adrian wilson is a sin.I’d fire him for that alone.we had something 3 years ago and mike bidwill felt like drawing the line with whiz.
    let all that talent go.boldin ect

And I can still remeber how my stomach felt when he walked in with dereck anderson. I been screaming about this for 3yrs. The first sign was 5-11 in 2010. There was no excuse on earth for that. And here we are.

Whiz is a below .500 coach.he didn’t win the superbowl.infact he never complained.I can’t tell you what type of coach he is because he failed on his own since haley.and clancy got a bad rap.he ran out of scapegoats.good riddance whiz

37. By sarah on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Skelton, Larry and the D basically saved Whiz’s job last year. I do not get why a coach would essentially throw a game with a rookie who did not get starting reps all week ? Should have given Skelton enough rope to hang himself vs Atlanta, he is a second half player and the game was up, Skelton would have won that anemic game barring throwing an interception. Play him or outright cut Skelton now and play Lindley like some audition for second string. To me Kolb still is not proven either so where do we stand ! No doubt Skelton brought this on himself with several early bad throws but that is Skelton and he is a gamer who plays his best ball when it matters. I remember Jeff Garcia having a horrendous game and time in SF in 1999 vs Pittsburg ( he could not hit a barn door that game), he went on to be a 3 time Pro Bowl QB after suffering a horrendous losing season that year.

Lindley is like Tim Rattay at best or Bartel who I thought we should have taken a longer look at. I say start Lindley and see how it works as season is over anyway thanks to Whiz getting pissed off yesterday. I would also have liked to have seen more of Kolb to justify keeping him around next year. Everyone is now playing for next year, wild card good luck ! Cut Skelton and he will get picked up on waivers and bite the Cards on the ass somewhere else. Kolb has been undermining the guy and playing the Lindley card as he is not a threat to Kolb. Prior to Kolb going down we were losing to Buffalo at home. Kolb brought this mess on two years in a row getting injured, he is the $$$ guy and it never should have been a competition with Skelton in the first place. Let’s hope Kolb turns it around.

Darren you piece last week on Skelton’s time to shine was appropriate, Skelton got shortchanged in Atlanta with 7 pass attempts, he brought it on himself, he got knocked out by the opportunity !

38. By phillycards on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Then I read that defenses don’t blitz skelton they sit back on him and wait for a pick or two. 48 attempts to get 300 yrds is not a good game.teams blitz kolb.

That’s why we are seeing the change on the line. Its easier with skelton based on coverage.and frankly I think that’s how skelton won the job he gets simple coverage there for easier to coach.not that he’s better.

Just don’t hire andy reid. And ill stay on board.( I have to say that)

39. By Chris on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

That was as bad of an offensive outing as you could possibly think of. 3 (or 2, I don’t know) yrs of mike miller must be enough. Russ Grimm as well. As an offensive minded HC Whisenhunt should have known that way earlier. I think he should be held accountable just like his players are.

Promote Ray Horton to HC and maybe get some college – OC. Desperate time for offensive rebuild mode. Should be picking high enough for a promising quarterback.

But you must not forget about Graves. Last offseason moves were frankly quite bad. Did a good job with extensions, but misfired too often as well.

Altough i think Kolb showed he could at least manage the game successfully, he is too injury prone. Unfortunately he needs to be a victim to rebuild mode as well.

40. By Cody Zarr on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Am I just a spoiled c word if I realize that these days are far better than the old days but still have problems with the decision making of the current administration?

41. By Andy Kw on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

This where this team should be by the beginning of next season:
    -Offense:

FS: K.Rhodes, R.Johnson
    SS: A.Wilson, J.Sanders, J.Bethel

-Special Team:
    K: J.Feely
    P: D.Zastudil
    LS: M.Leach

-Player releases due to contract expiration:
    OL. D.Batiste, R.Ohrnberger
    TE: Todd Heap
    RB: W.Powell, A.Smith

-Players that should be cut by 2012 season:
    QB: Ryan Lindley (Interesting prospect but for what I have seen from this game and last offseason, he looks like a Max Hall)

-Players to consider for this next season:
    QB: R.Bartel, Charlie Batch
    T: Jeff Otah
    K:Josh Brown
    DB: Abdullah Brothers

42. By truths4all on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

I find it very, very funny for Whiz to tell us how impressed he is with Lindley’s practice play. Isn’t this the same excuse he gave us for playing Max Hall? Guess Whiz is easily impressed with practice players.

When Lindley showed he was totally ineffective with the game still winnable at the start of the Third Quarter, Whiz had the chance to play Skelton again. But nooo, Whiz played the stubborn head coach and hoped and gambled Lindley would get lucky.

Bottom line, Lindley did not get lucky and produce. Lindley was that way in college with a mediocre passing average and stats. Don’t know why Whiz expects some nice priactice throws with any pressure to translate into reality in a real NFL game? Whiz is showing too much desperation and panic.

43. By Giorgio on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

The entire season reads like the script of a horrible “B” movie. The organization from head to toe should be ashamed of themselves. How you take an NFL franchise brand and drive it into the ground three seasons in a row remains hard to fathom. (The Suns and D-backs do the same.) Unless there is strong public and media outcry, which in laid back Arizona there won’t be, don’t expect much of change no matter who is replaced. They just don’t have enough quality players!! It’s the best cover-up in AZ…much like the Obama Administration and the Beghaazi debacle, i.e., no one either any answers, or is willing to talk. In defense of the players, they all can’t be that bad. And if they are you can’t entirely clean house. Sadly, I think HC Whiz has lost the public relations battle as well as respect of his players, the fans, and the media. He will have to go. His attempt at trying to make the Cards a Steelers-like NFC West team has failed miserably. I suggest dumping him after Sunday’s game if we lose and replace him w/DC Ray Horton and let him fill out the remaining games. Then come 2013 interview him and a host of other candidates for the HC job. Time to Move On dot Cards!!

44. By Credit Card on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

The knee jerk reaction by Whizenhunt regarding Skelton, will simply ruin his career — at least in AZ. Skelton will not be able to pass gas, w/o looking over his shoulder and seeing if Whizenhunt is pleased.

Fitzgerald has too much pull on this team. Unfortunately, he needs to be traded this off-season. Players need to play, and not influence management.

The main underlying problem, is that the coaching staff is not fitting the right type of players together. The O-line is slow, and always has been since the days of Russ Grimm. They need a quick scrambling QB, who through his running around will tire the Defensive linemen. At that point our O-line could then be as fast as winded D-lined, and then be able to push them around. Unfortunately, our QB’s (all clones of one another) do not scramble and move, which plays to the benefit of quick DE’s. The Cards are mis-matching their talents, and the results — well the results are pathetic.

The coach can switch QB’s to his heart’s content, but the results will be similar. It will not change until the Cards obtain a QB that can manuvier, and be as much of a threat with his feet as with his arm.

We are witnessing poor scouting, poor vision, poor strategy, poor coaching, and poor management. Based on management’s ineptness, I’m guessing Mike Bidwell will extend Graves and Whizenhunt for at least two more years.

Go figure, who amongst the readers would like to be totally over their head at work, and still have complete job stability.

45. By Angela on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

at this point in all the QB’s and O line , the Cards best chance is a new coach, who wont cut of his nose, and will keep his head in the game instead of playing these guys against each other, coach them to play as a team. The first trade should be Wiz.. Warner told him to strengthen the O line, and he ignored him, Skelton and Kolb could both be awsome, but they have no protection. Massie is a joke and I think wants to get the OB sacked, After all the starting dreams.. they need a coach.

46. By Angela on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

BTW: Thank you very much “Coach” Wiz for putting the rookie QB Linday in,, when you made that choice, we were actually winning the game, guess you hadnt checked the score before you checked your pride. Kolb has been allowed all kinds of excuses when he messed up last year, thanks for your faith in the QB who did his best to pull the Cards out of it. Coach Wiz, Promote Horton to YOUR job, so it can get done. Right….

47. By georgiebird on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Things have reached such a low point with the Cardinals(as it does most years). There will be no playoffs or winning season (again). No longer are personnel moves important and no longer are fan evaluations worth anything.
    Everything now is in the hands of Michael Bidwill. If Michael is an astute observer, he will clean house and start all over. If Michael follows his Bidwill roots he will probably let this circus run a couple more years before taking action.
    But no one should blame Whiz for continuing to collect a paycheck from the Cardinals- we would all keep talking and making excuses but, most importantly, we would all do whatever it took to keep our job- no one is resigning.
    So we can all take our shots at the coaches and the players but only Michael Bidwill holds the real cards.

48. By Chuck 1 on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been beating the drum over the last couple of years that Graves and Keim have done a terrible job of drafting players e.g. as (I believe) john the draft guy said, the draftees have been good players, HOWEVER, they didn’t fill the Cards’ NEEDS e.g. OL and QB, the glaring deficiencies in the roster. It goes without saying (but, I’ll say it anyway) the FAs that they’ve signed have been busts e.g. Faneca, Porter, Haggan, McFadden, Snider, Anderson etc.

I write again, GRAVES AND KEIM MUST GO!!! But, they are too close to Michael and will be retained.

In addition, no one has complained (that I can recall) about the terrible job that the QB coach has done in improving the play of Skelton or Lindley. THE QB COACH MUST GO!!!

As the old saying goes, SAME OLD, SAME OLD.

Get used to it Cards’ fans.

Another reminder to the fans: If you don’t like the product, DON’T BUY IT i.e. DON’T RENEW YOUR SEASON TICKETS!!!

49. By sarah on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Just listened to Whiz’s press conference posted here, by tone and direction Skelton is absolutely toast without Whiz actually saying it. He is essentially covering his rear for a decision made that did not produce a win, just 6 points and no TD. Rather he is scapegoating Skelton. Justifying a missed TD pass for Lindley moving forward is nutty. Saying that Lindley looked really impressive in practice does not justify putting a rookie into a crucial key game and now running with it. In the game he played like a rookie and did not convert in the second half in the final 6 possesions. Whiz is feeling the heat and his fur is up and he is manufacturing a player that has yet to justify any real production in a REAL game. At this point it does not matter because Whiz basically threw the Atlanta game, the tempo changed the other way when the fumble happened and we knew the Flacons would come back regardless of the D. Skelton played his best game of his career last against GB and now he is toast after 7 throws against Atlanta, compare the first 7 throws in the GB game, probably mediocre ! I would rather have a QB that ends well and with a win as opposed to so so at the end and lose !

If I was John I would ask for a trade or release, Whiz is being unrealistic and bizarre, reaching fo Kolb on the bench great or Skelton vice versa if Kolb was in both have won tight hard fought games. Lindley cause of some rehearsed practice stuff he impressed with is insane, real games are real games and Lindley was ok, but ok is not winning and putting us in a position for a wildcard. It is taking us back to the Max Hall wackiness ! If Kolb is ready to play then play him, throwing Skelton under the bus to justify madness is just that. Atlanta was handing the game to our offence in the second half and we got 6 points, embarrassing !

50. By Steven from WI on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

I don’t blame Whiz for benching Skelton. John missed Fitzgerald wide open in the end zone by a mile. If he completes the pass we most likely blow out the Falcons. This defense is way too good for us to only have 4 wins. The Falcons basically gave us the ball in their territory how many times and we only got 13 points off of turnovers. I really wished we would have tried harder to get Peyton Manning. Why we decided to give up on him in favor of Kolb, Skelton, Lindley just doesn’t make any sense to me. If we had peyton we would be an elite team right now. Kolb plays well when he is healthy but he always gets injured and until we get an elite QB we will never win the Super Bowl.

51. By Noah on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

If you can’t put together an offensive game plan that allows you to win with a +5 turnover margin, you have no business coaching in the NFL… or College… or on Madden.

52. By john the draft guy on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Jim in Missouri,
    I was thinking the same thing. How do you not add a QB, have a qb battle, think Skelton is the guy,name him the starter, praise him for green bay, then bench him after 7 passes?

I’m not a Skelton guy. In fact I think he is terrible but how can you follow that line of thinking? I never thought Whiz would do a knee jerk reaction move.

Suspence716
    Go back to the game. Bradley was in on the sort yardage TD run. He was blocked and they ran into his hole.

I agree with most of the rest of the post. Been yelling for last 2 drafts to take a QB. Maybe, just maybe, they will draft one this year. Something tells me they try to sell us Lindley for next year.

53. By Bryan on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

If we lose next week to St Louis do you think Whiz survives the season?

54. By john the draft guy on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

regarding Nate Potter;

At first glance, he gave up the “fumble” when he was beaten by John Abraham. But a closer look, LSH missed the chip (a complete wiff) . If a back is going to chip, he has to chip.

He was beaten a second time, but again, (it was also brought up by broadcasters) Lindley went back instead of stepping up in the pocket.

Overall, I think he played well against a premier pass rusher now two weeks in a row. It will be fun to see him against the two DEs of the rams.

55. By Darren Urban on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Brazilian –

RE: Demotion

I assume you are talking about Wilson?

56. By Thunderground Samurai on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Took me all this time after Warner left to see that this coaching staff doesn’t have the first clue about how to develop a QB. Watching Kaepernick dismantling the Bears tonight. A rookie QB with a great game. Rookies are being developed left, right, and center. Just not in Arizona. That’s on the coaches. I’m not even going to comment on replacing Skelton with a 13-0 lead. Why would you gamble away a win just to make a point? It was a panic move by a coach who’s dangerously close to losing the plot.

57. By Darren Urban on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

Cody –

RE: Spoiled

That question was kind of convoluted, but if you are asking if it is OK to criticize — and I know there are some on here that will argue I’m lying here — sure, it’s OK to criticize.

58. By INSOMAN1ATIC on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

This game in Atlanta made me ill. I love Ken Whisenhunt, but sadly the honeymoon may be over. After every loss we hear the same ol’ lines from him. Shoulder the blame Ken! It’s inexcusable for you to yank Skelton (a notoriously slow starter) with a 13 point lead. Let alone the countless check down to Doucet short of the first down. Grow a pair and start taking shot after shot down the field. If we lose to the Rams it may be time for us to be in the market for a new head coach.

59. By Kevin S on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

So interesting to play the what if game. Assume Skelton never gets hurt in the very first game of the season (and had no other significant injuries). Do we win the SEA game? (Nothing Skelton had done to that point in that game makes me think he’d have put together the drive Kolb did.) What happens vs. NE, PHI, MIA? Is he still the starter at this point, and if so what would the team’s record be? I can’t imagine anyone other than the hardcore Skelton backers would think it would be better than it is now. The reason I ask is, if we were 4-6 with the defense playing as well as it has been, but Skelton had played the entire time, wouldn’t people be asking for a change?

60. By Andrew on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

I see nothing wrong with benching someone for lining up wrong or running the incorrect route. If you line up wrong there could be a penalty for illegal formation. If you watched the cowboys game when romo through five picks I think one of this picks came because dez Bryant didn’t run the right route. So yes these things do matter because if it were the four quarter were down by three with 20 seconds to go and someone lines up incorrectly and we have a penalty all of you would be saying stuff like I can’t believe what Floyd did he cost us he game. So it does matter and I bet you Floyd is pretty mad at himself and probably gets whiz benching him. For the person who said Doucet has less talent then any recievers we have if you looked at the stats from yesterdays game you could make a case for Doucet playing the best.

61. By Kevin S on Nov 19, 2012 | Reply

I hope Beanie is healthy enough to play, and play effectively. The inability to gain 1-2 yards in critical situations has been a drive-killer on so many occasions the past few weeks.

62. By Rick on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

As long as seats keep filling up for all home games there will be no major changes. You want change then quit buying tix it’s the only sure way to see change when they can’t pay for lights it makes it awfully difficult to remain the same.

63. By Eazy E on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Whiz has no idea wth he’s doing. Demoting A-Dub for James Sanders and Rashad Johnson. Not bringing in another QB right now because surely you have failed in that category. Floyd getting benched for lining up wrong. We ain’t making the playoffs with this crap happening. C’mon Horton new HC in AZ 2013.

64. By pacardfan on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

I shake my head trying to figure Whiz’s thinking against the Falcons. Demoting A-Dub for what? I haven’t seen anywhere where his play has been going downhill or causing the cards to fall apart and loss. In fact, the Def. are the ones who’ve kept the Cards. n every game thus far. It’s the O’s fault. Bad play calling, QB play, young inexp. OL, ect. ect. However, this is part of football and other teams have lost key players too but con.t to win. Play calling plays a huge part in winning. Changing personal in the middle of a game is crazy, exp. when one makes an error and then someone new comes in. Despite the TD pass missed by Skelton, was it really worth putting a rookie who has yet to play in while being in the lead and letting Skelton still out there? WoW!!! Since Fitz. dropped a pass towrad the end, you going to bench him this week? I mean, really…..Maybe the Falcons would have won still if Skelton was never pulled. Maybe they won’t have, but to pull a QB out after 7 pass attempts…….come on!!!! I like Whiz, but I am starting to agree w/ a lot on here about questioning his coaching lately. Def. need Horton back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look how much our D has improved since he took over!!!!!!!!!!!

65. By DirtybirD on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

“IN HORTON WE TRUST” has a nice ring to it. The only way Whiz stays if he gets rid of his buddy Grimm and Miller. If he refuses then let him go and give Ray Horton the head coaching job. These last remaing games will determine Whiz’s fate. Let’s see if the players stand up for Whiz and respond by playing some quality football for him but especially for the fans. GO CARDS!

66. By jason marcus on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Kolb comes back we rick em sock em for the next 5 or 6 finish 9-7 10- believe it cause thats whats happening everybody shut up! cardinals = playoff read and weep, Red Birds Fly High!

67. By jason marcus on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Kolb comes back we rock em sock em for the next 5 or 6 finish 9-7 10- 6believe it cause thats whats happening everybody shut up! cardinals = playoff read and weep, Red Birds Fly High!

68. By phillycards on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Skelton career qb rating 65.9 that was a few weeks ago so its lower by now.his senior scouting report is valid and is evidence of whizs lack of coaching ability. his banishment from pittsburg was a cardinal promotion and a failure

We are losing to teams we beatin the playoffs in the past. We were ahead of green bay and atlanta and now they beat us.we forced carolina to rebuild with clancys defense and now we are worse off than the panthers too

None of the last 3 yrs can be justified coming off the vikings playoff loss (tobin and whiz huh?).

In the past it was money, the lack of facilities that produced bad rosters.
    Today we have a stadium and cash to get players. This is worse than the old days because there isn’t a good excuse.

Starting with the sin of trading a player given the sacred 81.The az cardinals have wasted 3 yrs of fitz and adub.$450 million in player salaries to get 17 wins 25 loses.while paying whiz 5 million per.

This is mike bidwill decision and his problem alone not graves and keim.

And honestly I love him but larry isn’t better than q.sorry. Because q could run a 1 yrd route and make big plays.he once won a game from rb spot at the buzzer like a basketball player.and the jets game I will never forget.none of us should. That was the spirit we carried thru the sb.

69. By Corgon on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Ok. So according to Whiz (red zone), the running game went well and R. Lindley was ok. F.e. he called a time out instead of delay the game.Yeah! A huge clock shows the time. It’s really hard to miss it. In the beggining of the 2nd half a time out. Great. 20/9 for sixtyX yard in 3 quarters of football. And the running game….2 super run from The Hyphen for 92 yards and then 24 carries for 45 yards. Is this a working running game? 7 1st down. 7. And he’s excited about Lindley’s play. I’m happy. Benching Floyd for one mistake….don’t really understand. Doucet dropd all the balls of the world and he was still there. All the changes looks a bit fish out of water measure.
    I think Lindley is nothing but a cost-effective 3rd stringer. Kolb or Skelton will gone at the end of the season and we’ll get a QB via draft with a high pick or FA. If Kevin stays he’ll face a huge restructure. New QB, automatic new OC.

70. By Chuck 1 on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Get six turnovers and not win the game?
    That just amplifies the fact of how bad the offense is.

And, FINALLY Whiz recognizes that Miller isn’t cutting it as OC so he is considering doing double duty as HC and OC?

To those fans who write “THIS TEAM IS LOADED WITH TALENT”.
    There might (MIGHT!!!) be about 10 TRULY TALENTED players on the Cards.

For those fans who believe that 2013s draft and FA signings will make the Cards
    a playoff contender, GET REAL.
    It will take more than one year of player acquisitions to improve the roster. And, not even then if Graves continues to make the decisions that he has made over the last several years.

71. By HunterSThompson on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Play Lindley the rest of the season (Skelton is broken, now) to see what you got. Trade Fitz to the Patriots for Ryan Mallett and a couple of draft picks. Restructure Kolb or cut him. Let Kolb,Lindley, and Mallett battle for the starting job next season.

Take the draft picks and get som OLINE HELP in a draft deep in potential for that part of the team.

Pay Horton wahtever he wants to stick around one more year, which happens to be the last of Whiz’s contract (you know the Bidwills won’t fire Whiz with one year left to pay). Find an O-coordinator that can actually create a 21st century offense (Chip Kelly?).

Oh yeah – cut/trade Doucet and get Floyd some reps. Lord knows first round draft picks should actually play (at least on most NFL teams). Pray for the health of the RBs.

Don’t look now, but the Cards are fast heading to the bottom of the NFC West. Every other team seems to have at least one, if not TWO legit QBs (some found in very recent drafts – amazing, huh?!?!). Time to make some serious moves or get left in the dust.

72. By Chuck 1 on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Whiz has 22 games to prove to Michael that he should keep his job.

73. By Louisville Card on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

@john the draft guy

I know you have been saying qb the last two season’s but Tannehill doesn’t look like they missed on him now and Locker can’t stay healthy. Would they be better than the qb’s playing now yes but long term I wouldn’t want them.

There is zero chance that Lindley or Skelton will be on the team next year, but I hope Kolb restructures and stays he played well this year and would be a great backup for the right price. As Darren noted they will definitely chase a qb meaning Vick, Rivers or draft a qb. Which Landry Jones as you’ve been calling for actually looks like a great option. I wasn’t sold on him until lately but he does look good. I might be a bit of a homer but I would like them to get Rivers if possible then draft Teddy Bridgewater when he comes out. Landry would be a good pick though if they can get him in the second.

Darren the Wilson decision is a little puzzling I didn’t think he had been playing badly? It’s hard to argue results as Johnson had an interception on the first play, but have I missed some blown plays by Wilson to warrant the call? I don’t get to watch every game being in Louisville just wanted to know your thoughts?

74. By Rio on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Darren, i think they should fired you and close down the Arizona Repulic, fired all the parking lot attended’s fired the whole fooftball staff Fired the hot dog servers and the Bilwells need to fired them selves.

Close all the high ways to the Football stadium and pretend there never was a team here.

Wiz is such a fool.

75. By HunterSThompson on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

@phillycards – beautifully summed up.

Yup – the old excuses for the Cards taking “babysteps” and preaching “someday” no longer hold water. The fans are there, the stadium is there, and the revenue is there. Public relations and institutional consistency are no longer the priority – time for some actual football minds to start taking control.

76. By Darren Urban on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Wilson

I plan to post a blog item on that soon.

77. By Campbells on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

If we take a QB next draft, it’ll be par for the course. Aren’t any fantastic QB’s in the next draft. So, maybe we take an underachieving veteran. Either way, more misery in AZ. Better off assembling an outstanding coaching staff, that will develop the talent we have. There are so many areas where our players need to improve (pass coverage, tackling, pass blocking, run blocking, pass routes, QB development, special teams blocking, offensive play calling, etc.). Fill gaps in free agency. Draft big running back, and shutdown corner early. After that, offensive linemen. Whiz has had plenty of time to mold a winner. Landry, and Knoll were replaced. So, why are we so afraid of change?

78. By Campbells on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Regarding the comments about the Seattle win: I was at the game. All day languished, because of a terrible offensive game plan. Skelton forced into 3rd and long situations drive after drive. After his injury, Kolb comes in and runs the no-huddle offense. Hadn’t run no-huddle all day long. That’s why he magically drove down for the game winning score. If the coaches would’ve handcuffed him, like they cuffed Skelton all day we’d have another loss. We all think of Skelton as a second half guy, but maybe it’s because the offensive play calling is too conservative. Aggressive play calling comes only as a last resort. Why do you think we’re the only team in the league that never blows anybody out? Why do our wins always come in the last minute of the game???

79. By Zach on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

What are your thoughts on 4th and short in the ATL game? Regardless of how bad our offense is playing, when you play Matt Ryan (or Brady, Rodgers, etc) you need to be up by more than 7pts in the 4th qtr or he will come back. We needed touchdowns not fied goals. We were 4-5 at the time and we needed some drastic for a playoff shot, not conservative play calling.

Our D was great, but against a top QB they will score on you in a 2 min drive.

Your thoughts on kicking field goals vs going for it on 4th down?

80. By Darren Urban on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Zach –

RE: Scores

Given the circumstances, I have zero problem with any of the Cards’ 4th-down decisions Sunday.

Yes, you need TDs, but if you don’t get any points, you are screwed. The way the offense is going, converting 4th-and-short, especially with no Beanie is far from a lock. And even f you do get a first down, that’s not a guarantee you finish the drive.

81. By Brad on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Andy kw: So you think Kolb should be the QB starting off next season? The most important position and you choose a guy who gets injured on a regular basis….what’s the point if he’s going to be out half the season

82. By sarah on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

I was a Whiz admirer until this move and his bizarre justifications, you pull a QB when you are losing as a momentum change not a teachable moment when we need a W ( it is not ice cream flavors when he names game starters). Floyd should have stayed in, he benched Doucet the previous week. He should have put Lindley in the STL game when Kolb was ineffective and that would have rattled everyone. Losing 5 games subsequent to that is nuts, the last two were easily winnable. That GB TE 87 yard run was easily the worst as we had serious momentum on them, just blown coverage. SF our D got exploited and the OL were like deer in the headlights, Minnesota as well. Buffalo as inexcusable at home that we had to come from behind to tie it, I mean it was Buffalo !

Skelton has to make that 28 yard end zone pass to Fitz in Atlanta, that was inexcusable. It is almost like his brain misread the arm and direction ! having said that it cost us 4 potential points not a TD the other way. Receivers drop balls, OL miss blocks, running backs fumble, QB’s throw off passes, it is part of the game. Whiz’s momentum change at a critical juncture when we were ahead backfired and he needs to be held accountable. Coaches make stupid moves and this was his and bye bye wildcard hope.

I agree above that courtesy of Whiz.. Skelton is damaged goods, he probably would have made up for that play. In Seattle he missed a shuffle pass to the tight end early ( threw it too high ), next series we got a TD.

So it is obvious now that Whiz realizes his gamble has tremendous consequences. First off he pledges to Kolb and then takes a run at Manning, then he opens the competition which was smart. Kolb should have owned it, he got it back and had a great Sept, but his future is totally uncertain if he can perform at that level given two losses to two mediocre teams. He removes and hammers Skelton after praising him the previous game ( fully knowing Skelton is a slow starter) thus making his trade quality seriously diminished. He starts hyping unknown Lindley (similar to what he did with Max Hall ) who apparently does well in mock games/practice when everyone knows the play and goes thru the motions ( we did not convert on the last 6 series in ATL after they were handing us the ball). So now Whiz in the press conference looks like someone who got caught stealing cheese and is making up a story to match his actions !

Look you play the guys you think can win the game for you, Lindley has not proven that for one second, both Skelton and Kolb have. Making that ding dong decision was not professional it was personal. and a knee jerk reaction, call the QB over and give him crap maybe but don’t pull him. Where to from here ? Whiz has written off Skelton and now is a fan of Lindley cause it makes him look like he did something and now has to justify his actions. So play Lindley maybe he will surprise maybe not, I am guessing more of the same. Get Kolb back and play him and see if he still is Mr September, if not cut him or trade and ditto Skelton whose value Whiz has diminished. If Skelton stayed in and won then his trade value is way better, other teams like him ( both SF and Seattle praised him). Basically he should have pulled his move in Minnesota and seen what Lindley had, we still would have lost 6 games due to line issues etc as it was not purely QB. The remainder of the season is audition time, however so were the last two seasons post mid point.

Kolb’s two injuries have really cost the decision process because we really do not know fully what we have, 4 games is not a career and last year he sucked. Skelton could have gotten a chance to put two good games back to back with a win in Atlanta, Whiz denied that. Now we have inconsistency times ten and are auditioning Lindley so we are back to 2010 mid point. Bad luck and ill coaching plus bizarre OC play calling. Yes Beanie is out, Skelton was rusty coming back from injury, Powell fumbles, Peterson has been contained on kickoffs, the line is erratic, receivers drop balls, run the wrong routes at times or don’t get open in 3 seconds. The D was not good at GB at times. So many excuses but 6 straight losses culminating in a game in ATL where it looked like Matt Ryan had placed a private bet on the Cardinals and was fixing the game. Atlanta game cannot be blamed on the line or Skelton, that was a winnable game that falls squarely on coaching and kooky decision making ! Floyd has hands and would have caught a critical ball, rotate him in.

83. By sarah on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

I think this is the best unbiased assessment of the QB and coaching situation.

84. By john the draft guy on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Louisville card

Cant say I agree that missing on Tannehill was good. QBs don’t win a ton of games and are lights out as rookies. I know Luck and RG3 make it seem that way, but it isnt the norm. Tannehill is very smart with a very strong arm and is athletic. He was suppose to sit behind a vet while he learned, but ended up beating him out. Tannehill was a wr his first 2 years in college, so this is his 3rd year as a QB. Not to mention there is a Rookie coach. Plus, who is he throwing to? Hartline and Bess? Not the same as Fitz and Roberts. The Dolphins will compete as they get him weapons.Give him a year or two.

Why I like Landry Jones is the same reason I liked Tannehill. They both have size, big arms, and are very smart.They both are married and settled. I see them both as leaders also.

Does Aaron Murray, Gino Smith and Matt Barkley have bigger upsides? Maybe. But I like QBs who read the field, make the correct reads, check down when necessary, and are leaders on the field. I said Tannehill reminded me of Rodgers. Jones has a mix of Troy Aikman and Carson Palmer.(maybe more Palmer)

As for Locker, I never wanted to draft him. In 2011, I wanted Von Miller. Once he was gone, I heard about the rumor the Falcons wanted to move up and said lets take that, move down and take Christian Ponder. I had no idea Ponder would go 12th.

85. By wnycardfan on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Sarah – good post. Agree with it and a lot of the posts here. Whiz is showing, along with his crap staff on offesne, they cannot coach up the QB or the rest of the offense. You would think you would see SOME improvement, even if truly all of these guys over the last few years were 2nd string at best. But you see regressing, poor play over and over again. Play calling is predictive and stinks. The draft has been decent on some, but doesn’t seem to be the right mix we need. The defense seems to have righted itself. Coaching and a few decent draft picks seem to be the difference there. But they plain stink on offense. Kind of have since before Warner (he was like a enigma now, 1 – 2 years of good stuff, then back to the same ole cardinals).
    I’m glad that after the GB game I resigned myself to the fact that this year was destined to poor play, that way I’m not watching, hoping, and then getting ticked all day Monday. Now, while I still follow and want them to do well, I’m not emotionally destroyed. I hate that I have to do that every year about mid season. Can’t we get something good going here? Drafting a rookie QB, esp this year is probably not the answer to all the issues. Lets face it, most of those guys need a few years (if they can manage it) to be good. Couple that with the complete crap OL we have and you have years more of crap play. Perhaps new coaching would help current players produce better (again, lets look at 49ers, even Rams to some extent).
    SOme seem to think that IF and WHEN Kolb comes back and Wells is back, we’ll be back on track/ REALLY?? Well’s hasn’t player very well at all and isn’t dependable. I’m glad he’s back, but I don’t expect great things from him, sorry. Kolb, the teams know what he is and will simply do what they were doing to him before he got the snot beat out of him ANY win the rest of this year will be a complete surprise to me.
    THe best we can hope for is not being made fools of the rest of the season and trying to figure out the pieces to cut out by end of season (ie COACHES) and the pieces we need to put in place (ie NEW COACHES and NEW PLAYEERS).

86. By Chris Lewis on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

I’m tired of shaking my head every week, but the Atlanta game was the worst loss so far. The defense fought hard and forced 6 turnovers and we still can’t win the game? How is that possible? Atlanta tried over and over to give the game to us and our offense is so pathetic, we just didn’t want it bad enough. If we don’t get a QB soon, we might not win another game this year. We need Kolb back. Skelton is a joke. Fitz was wide open in the end zone and Skelton had no pressure and all the time in the world and still didn’t even come close to connecting with Fitz. That’s unacceptable. Lindley’s okay, but he’s a rookie and you can see he’s still learning. Who knows what could’ve been if Kolb didn’t get hurt, because he was playing really well. Oh well, another season down the drain.

87. By Mike in Mesa on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Blame for this loss. Whisenhunt. His ego is now out of control and costing the Cardinals games. I think at this point he’s ruined Skelton. Skelton has been harped on so much for having 1 interception in a game, I think he’s off on his passes trying to throw away from defenders. We need an offense that will encourage the gunslinger mentality, interceptions be damned. As for benching for mistakes, how bout Fitzgeralds drop at the 5 yard line. He has it all the way down and the ground knocks it out. And his leisure stroll away from the Lindley fumble. And another drop in the game, I think. And who rates what Lindley did as ok. Horrible passes. A fumble for turnover. 3 passes almost intercepted. How many 3rd down conversions. As for being consistent, Doucet dropped 4 passes last game and he’s back in. Floyd makes one mistake and he’s benched? EGO. What do you think the fans here would be doing by the way if Skelton had 5 interceptions. Tar and feathers I think. Guess the coach for Atlanta knows better than to make knee jerk decisions.

88. By Red cards on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

If we get a top draft pick and get a hot shot QB whiz will ruin him the way I see it is if whiz is still here next year we will be in the same boat we need to fix the hole in the boat and that’s whiz other wise get ready for more of the same crap

89. By sarah on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Chris, with all due respect to Kolb’s September, we lost to STL and Buffalo and when Kolb went down we were losing in the 4th. Beyond that he was getting thrown around like a rag doll so it was inevitable an injury was coming. It is now up to Lindley and if he bombs he is gone, Kolb costs too much and Skelton is the fall guy so expect big changes. The existing situation should not have occurred, Skelton should have been given longer to produce in ATL, his misfired pass was absolutely inexcusable, if he made it we would not be having this discussion. That said he has made some amazing passes. Whiz just wanted to see a boomer start, we were 13-0 at time of pull, we lost with a pedestrian rookie that could not convert 3rd downs ( not one in 6 possessions straight). Bad play calling maybe and who cares that he read a timeout, this was a game for a QB that has won games before to play in, not audition for second string. Whiz threw the season ! If Skelton had lost or been a bum enough of him ( he is a second half guy), now everyone will wonder what if.

90. By The everlasting Kolbstopper on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Those saying Kolb “sucks” are saying it for reactionary reasons. His stats don’t “suck”. If you want to make the argument that he is “injury prone” than I’ll listen but I think he is like 13th in QB rating for te entire NFL right now. That pita him ahead of 19 other teams. I think if you get an o-line and protect him then he doesn’t get hurt. Look at other “injury prone” QB’s… Matt Stafford played his first 16 game season last year and now nobody calls him “injury prone”. Troy Aikman was “injury prone” but guess what? He has some nice Super Bowl rings. Kolb has earned the chance to be the starter for another year. He has progressed extremely well this season, imagine if he had an offseason to meld with the first team as opposed to play Whiz’s QB carousel game through all of training camp. That alone may not only prepare Kolb but the ENTIRE first team offense… Huh, imagine that!

91. By Campbells on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

Kolb’s stats don’t suck? When the whole world was lobbying for us to trade for him, I looked at his stats. They were terrible before we traded for him. The fact that we gave-up what we did to get him, was both puzzling, and frustrating. You lobby to keep him, yet he fails to impress, even in pre-season. What other starter fails so badly to impress in pre-season, that the coach starts someone else??? I firmly believe, this team would flourish with the right coaching staff in place. We need upgrades at some positions, but we could have success with the QB’s we already have. Appreciate the insights of those that passionately follow the Cards. I’d love to see them win a World Championship.

92. By phillycards on Nov 20, 2012 | Reply

You know I think he pulled skelton so he wouldn’t break ryan leafs record.

93. By Kevin S on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

I don’t disagree that you can fairly question the pulling of Skelton after 7 passes. But let’s please stop with the “he’s a second half guy” like we need to leave in for an entire half to warm up every game. Not to mention that a big part of the reason that he looks like a second half QB is that we trailed by 2 TD’s or more in the 2nd half of each of his 3 starts prior to Sunday.

Also, there are posts above talking about the “trade value” of Skelton. Does anyone think the Cards are getting calls about Skelton? We couldn’t even trade Leinart, a former #10 OA pick, once we decided he was not our starter. As John the Draft Guy has pointed out numerous times, why do people think players we’ve decided are not good enough to play for our (sub-.500) team are going to be attractive to other teams? This is particularly true considering that we’re talking about one of our worst positions, QB. A guy who can’t hang on to the Cardinals QB job ain’t exactly prime trade bait.

94. By Kevin S on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, meant to say does anyone think the Cards “will be” getting calls about Skelton; trade deadline passed, so no one’s calling as we speak.

95. By Kevin S on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Kolbstopper –

It’s annoying how fans attach labels to players to fit their storyline. Because the team started winning last year right when Kolb went out (which had to do more with the fact that 3 of our first 4 opponents were the Rams twice — they won 2 games all year — and an Eagles team that was reeling), Skelton got a reputation as a Tebow-like guy who “just wins.” (This was in spite of the fact that in the first of those Rams games, we scored a whopping 13 points in regulation, needed to block a FG on the last play of regulation, and then won on a 99-yard punt return, and in the second of those games, Skelton posted a 30.0 QBR but we won (barely) due to Beanie putting up franchise-record rushing yardage.)

Well, so much for Skelton just winning games… in all the games where it’s been Skelton start-to-finish this year, we’ve won zero; plus he was pretty ineffective in the SEA game (saved by Kolb). He did complete a couple passes (2 out of 10) in the Buffalo game, but they were key ones and gave us a shot, so I’ll give him that.
    But attaching these labels (he’s a 4th quarter guy or a second half guy or he handles pressure situations well) based on a sample size of basically one full season is kind of silly. Just like it was silly for everyone to talk about the Cardiac Cards and all their OT success as if we somehow respond better in that situation than our opponents (again, a storyline invented retroactively to fit the results), instead of calling it what it was — dumb luck.

And with Kolb we have the “injury-prone” label. Thing is, it could just be a string of bad luck — I mean, he wasn’t injured in college, but he has missed significant time every year since 2010. Maybe he’s one of those guys that will always be injured, or maybe if given the chance he rattles off 2-3 years without missing significant time. We’ll never find out, of course, if the team gives up on him due to his injuries, but it’s not like he’s faking them or anything… I mean, I saw him get kicked in the head in the SF game last year, and a concussion is a concussion. Detached ribs are detached ribs. It’s not like he’s some prima donna who can’t play through some pain. Is his body really more susceptible to injuries than other guys’ (which is my definition of “injury prone”), or did he just happen to get hit in just the wrong spot a couple times? No idea. He was getting beat up on all those sacks but it was actually falling on the ball wrong on a busted play that did him in this year. When I think about that “what if…” it makes me sick… if Powell hears the change in the play, maybe Kolb is still our QB, behind an OL that now includes Potter and seems to be at least a little better, and we’re not even having this conversation about whether it was stupid for Whiz to bench Skelton for Lindley.

96. By Christo on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Ugh Whisenhunt and Co. are terrible.

Nobody is winning in the desert under his guidance.

Wake up, deal with it, apply pressure.

97. By Mike P on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

It all comes down to this in any organization – the person on the front line, leading the troops, is the most accountable. They’re in charge of the game plan, they’re in charge of preparation, and the mighty intangible – motivation. When it gets to the point of benching people for mistakes, albeit sometimes warranted, you’ve just admitted that your “bag of tricks” is empty. What you end up with are players who don’t play to win, but rather play to not make a mistake. That never works. Reminds me of the classroom teacher who has totally lost control of the classroom and there’s nothing left but kicking kids out of class and/or writing detention slips. Whis can fire Miller and Grimm, and while it might make a short term difference, it doesn’t change who is in charge. Lincoln had to fire how many generals until he found General Grant? So, where to start? They need to fire Rod Graves first, and bring in a proven and credible GM. That proven and credible GM, whoever that woiuld be, is given the free rein to fix the organization. Just like a new AD coming on board at a major university in need of an overhaul in its sports program, the clock will be ticking rapidly on the coaching staff. They have to pull that trigger VERY soon, though. Graves could and should be fired immediately, and the necessary personnel moves in the leadership roles could be filled early in the off season. Wait to fire Graves unitl the season is over, and Whis is here another year, and we have another year of “the guys are working hard,” “we made too many mistakes,” “we’re working to correct those,” and other such enlightening press conferences. There is not one blog site out there that isn’t beating the drum of personnel changes in these roles. Fans are always in front of ownership on these issues; let’s hope that this is the year that fans and ownership converge.

98. By Jay Green on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Darren – just curious, I know there has been talk that the Cards will pursue a QB in the off-season. Has there been any discussion about Shaun Hill? Every time he has played when Stafford is injured he is lights-out. It seems like he would be an effective – and cheap – option.

99. By Darren Urban on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Jay Green –

RE: Hill

There hasn’t been any discussion about anyone. That’s what will happen in the offseason. I don’t see Hill being a better option than, say, Kolb, though.

100. By sarah on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S,

You are one negative guy btw ! Kolb had a great Sept but 3 of the games could have gone either way, he is not a proven 100% guy yet and these lengthy injuries do not allow for a full season evaluation. We bought him on expectation from a limited playing time in Philly. If he comes back this season great let’s see what he can do for us and further evaluate. Let’s not forget he also started the losing trend in STl and was losing against Buffalo. Now it is Lindley’s turn to play out the season so let’s see what the kid has, Skelton is gone.

I do not think Kolb would have won the Minnesota and SF or GB game for us, for sure ATL.

101. By Louisville Card on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

@john the draft guy

I understand what your saying about Tannehill but qb’s that didn’t win in college are hard to trust and Miami has a terrible record with qb’s they choose kinda like the Cards. So makes it hard to think he’ll ever really be that great. I would take Jones over all the others as well except for Gino he’s big, has a big arm, and his accuracy is off the charts. The cards won’t be in position to draft him though since KC will be picking ahead of them.

If they can get Rivers though they should pass on Jones and rebuild the line ,rb’s and db’s. That’s a Hail Mary but San diego looks like they are going to hit reset on there team and start over, so he could be had.

2. Nov 19, 2012: No decision on Cardinals quarterback yet
  3. Nov 19, 2012: ARIZONA CARDINALS – Ken Whisenhunt: Arizona Cardinals haven’t picked QB
  4. Nov 19, 2012: ARIZONA-CARDINALS.INFO – Ken Whisenhunt: Arizona Cardinals haven’t picked QB