“It is not a right, it is a privilege”

Posted by Darren Urban on November 23, 2012 – 1:41 pm

There weren’t a lot of specifics defensive coordinator Ray Horton was giving Friday when asked about veteran safety Adrian Wilson’s role, after Wilson was taken out of nickel situations last week in favor of Rashad Johnson and James Sanders.

“Hopefully the message being sent by everyone is the most important thing is to do your job and do your job well,” Horton said. “When you are in there, it is not a right, it is a privilege to play defense. We’re just trying to tweak some things and get some guys some opportunities. Where does (Adrian) fit in? Right where he has always been, as one of the leaders of our team.”

Horton talked once again about defensive depth. Giving Sanders and Johnson more chances to play was important to him. At this point, the reserves have been playing well when they get a chance, and Horton wants to cultivate that.

“(Depth) is a security blanket for me with the defense,” Horton said. “I don’t care who is in the game, I haven’t seen anyone really perform poorly in a substitute role. With (linebacker) Quentin (Groves) and he dominates against New England, James Sanders picked up the fumble (against the Eagles), guys continue to make plays. Guys tend to take advantage of the opportunities they get.”

So Horton — who used Reggie Walker more at outside linebacker last week with the season-ending injury to O’Brien Schofield, as another example — will continue to move pieces around. And we’ll watch the role of someone like Wilson evolve.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to ““It is not a right, it is a privilege””

1. By john the draft guy on Nov 23, 2012 | Reply

Sitting at 6 1/2 sacks and 3 ints away from the coveted 30/30 club, I sure hope Wilson can continue playing his role and producing.

With Schofield out, I wouldn’t mind seeing ADub come off that edge a few more times. Man, I remember that year he had 8 sacks. He could really get to the QB off the blitz.

2. By Catamitus on Nov 24, 2012 | Reply

What does Horton actually say about Brady?

3. By Catamitus on Nov 24, 2012 | Reply

sry, Bradley of course.

4. By Darren Urban on Nov 24, 2012 | Reply

Calamitus —

RE: Bradley

No one has asked. I will try to remember to do it next week.

5. By chad on Nov 24, 2012 | Reply

Yah I agree, I have always wondered why they don’t play A. Wilson at OLB. He would be real good at it…

6. By phillycards on Nov 24, 2012 | Reply

I think that adub is the greatest cardinal since frank sanders larry centers and aenaes before his mutiny to stl. I think if anything ,he is not happy with the way the team is being run.

He won’t say it publicly. I haven’t seen andre roberts benched ever. So I think when you get adub mad your days as a coach are numbered.

This is adrian wilson. The guy who broke mcnabbs ankle and ruined the eagle franchise for decades.

He is cool with larry wilson and the bidwills.he’s not anquan boldin.its nothing but a conversation.your done whiz!

7. By Doug vlk on Nov 24, 2012 | Reply

Re: phillycards

C’mon. There is no question Adrian is one of the best players this (or any other team) has ever had. However, bottom line: if you aren’t producing on the field you’re not playing (or shouldn’t be.)

IMHO, Adrian can still play well, but not at his “Holy c***, how did he just do that?” level that we all loved to see. He is more in a leadership role at this point as Horton alluded to. If it is true that he is not happy with the way things are being run, AND he is a (true) leader like the staff has identified him to be, then he should not be letting his dissatisfaction affect his performance.

Time works against us all, even awesome Adrian.

I too, hope he makes the 30/30 club! What a phenominal acheivement that would be!

GO CARDS!

8. By Eazy E on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I think this was more of a Whiz decision overall because we had the 3rd ranked pass defense when they made this move. It doesn’t make sense because A-Wil has been playing well this year.#Y’all SURPRISED!!!