Dockett there for Schofield after freak play

Posted by Darren Urban on November 28, 2012 – 4:37 pm

O’Brien Schofield was back in the locker room Wednesday after practice, getting around after ankle surgery on a motorized scooter that looked much more fitting for one of those older women on a late night TV commercial selling such things than a 250-pound NFL linebacker.

“At first it was frustrating because I couldn’t believe I got hurt again, but I tried to put it in perspective,” Schofield said. “This gives me time to get my shoulders right, my knees right and completely heal up.”

Schofield only had ligament damage – it was torn. There was no fracture, but he wasn’t going to be able to come back. Still, not fun considering the freak nature of the play, where teammate Darnell Dockett fell on his leg as both were chasing Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the game at Green Bay.

Dockett, though, apologized, even if he didn’t have to.

“Dock has been good through this,” Schofield said. “He’s been hitting me up, checking to see how I have been doing. He put my number on the back of his helmet, which was cool. He told me when I started rehabbing, if there was anything I need, just let him know.

“It wasn’t his fault at all. It was a freak accident. The way he has been, I appreciate his generosity.”

Dockett downplayed his post-injury role.

“That’s my brother,” Dockett said. “I’m like that with all my teammates. If they need anything to get better, especially off of injuries and stuff, I want to help.”

Dockett said he was going to let Schofield use his personal hyperbaric chamber to help speed Schofield’s recovery.

“He’s a good player, he came back (from a bad knee) and had a freak accident,” Dockett said. “We were just trying to do the same thing at the same time. As a friend, as a leader, as a brother outside of football, anything I can do to help him get back. He would do the same for me.”

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Dockett there for Schofield after freak play”

1. By ringlaterra on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

With Rolando McClain being the next underperforming, talented linebacker from the Raiders to be released is there a shot we can get him reunited with Quentin Groves in our linebacking corps? Where are we in the waivers order?

2. By D on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Cards should resign Groves as insurance for next year….just in case all of the injuries slows down his body….

3. By Mike on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Any chance the Cards take a look at Rolando McClain? Not sure they want to pursue a somewhat troubled player, I don’t think that’s Wiz’s style. But wanted to get your thoughts…

4. By Darren Urban on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

ring —

RE: Waivers

I believe the Cards are 11th right now.

5. By Darren Urban on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Mike —

RE: McClain

No idea about him or how he would fit, quite frankly.

6. By john the draft guy on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

I keep hearing fans yelling for the cards to land Rivers or Flacco.

In my opinion, there is less than zero percent chance (if that is possible) that either guy will be available. First thought is, who do they have to replace them?

But you talk with other reporters from other cities and get some inside info, so is there really any chances these two become available?
    I know there is always a chance, but a legit one?

7. By Darren Urban on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Flacco/Rivers

Flacco isn’t going anywhere. I’m a little less certain on Rivers, but it would depend on whether the new regime — assuming there is a new regime — wants to totally blow it up. Again, the hardest thing to find in this league is a QB. Not sure why the Chargers would give one up unless they were sure they had a new one.

8. By D on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

I don’t see how if Whiz is the head coach next year, 1- convince MR. B to bring in another FA QB, ie A. Smith and 2) Go into a make or break year with a rookie starting QB. I don’t see if Whiz is here how he would not bring back Kolb, Lindley and either a draft pick or a backup vet added to the QB mix. Now, I think they would go to Kolb like they have done with other vets on the team and ask them to reduction in pay….thoughts???
    (remember changing of a coaching staff is very expensive)

9. By D on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Time for a Change in the front office.
    Mr. Graves is a nice guy, but I think another position for him in the front office maybe is in line this spring…maybe move him into PR or community relations. Steve Keim will get some interest this spring from teams looking for a GM. Time to promote him to the GM office.

When Levi Brown, Beanie Wells and R. Williams went down with injuries, no moves were made except for backup players and patchwork. This team and its fans deserve more, the last thing Mr. B wants is to go back to TV blackouts.

10. By arizonabatepapo on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

I love Dockett! He’s such a great team leader, and apparently a real stand-up guy off the field as well. Thanks for sharing this story…my respect for him continues to grow.

11. By Eazy E on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply