Dockett sorry, but “I have never, ever laid down”

Posted by Darren Urban on December 5, 2012 – 2:50 pm

Darnell Dockett addressed the argument he had with teammate Kerry Rhodes at the end of Sunday’s game, getting his point across but also apologizing in the process.

While he didn’t get into specifics of why the argument happened, it was pretty clear the reported reason — that Dockett did not want to let the Jets score on purpose just so the Cardinals could get the ball back — was behind the rift.

“Me and Kerry had a very heated argument, at a very heatful time in the game and there were things between me and him,” Dockett said. “I apologized to Kerry. Kerry forgave me. That’s it. It was a situation we totally didn’t agree on. So at the end of the day we did what was best to give our team the chance to win. That’s it. I look at Kerry as one of my brothers, I respect him and we had a disagreement. We move on from that.”

As for what the argument was about, “It was something I don’t believe in, something I don’t understand,” Dockett said. “It’s frustrating at the time. At the end of the day, I have never, ever laid down and quit. I’ve been playing football for over 20 years. I’ve been, for this organization, for Florida State, for my high school, giving everything I’ve got. I play with passion and I will never, ever quit. I love what I do, and I will play to the whistle and the clock reads zero.”

Rhodes did not speak Wednesday, but Tuesday put out a statement that emphasized Dockett had not spit on him — as had been reported — and that he and Dockett had worked it out. “We’re both moving on and I’ll leave it at that,” Rhodes said.

That was certainly where Dockett saw it Wednesday. “We were just talking about it outside today. I have no issue with anyone on this team, especially with the guys on defense. We have one goal, and that’s to end up in the top five (in the defensive rankings). That’s the most important thing to me and the rest of this defense.”

Dockett said he didn’t know if he would be punished for the incident. Coach Ken Whisenhunt reiterated it was something that would be handled internally and declined to comment further. “I can’t control that,” Dockett said. “I’m here, and anytime I get on the field I will play my ass off. Whatever decision is whatever. It is out of my hands.”

DockSorryUSE

Tags: ,

64 Responses to “Dockett sorry, but “I have never, ever laid down””

1. By Dynosoar on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

The media’s always making mountains out of molehills. Perhaps they should open a ski resort in Kansas.

Darren, thanks for the reporting and the level headedness some of your coleagues at other outlets seem to be lacking in.

Now if our offense would make the same commitment (ok, we don’t want them to be a top five defense, so maybe a different commitment) and strive for the goal of becomming a top five offense, then we’d really have something.

As important as a defense is, if we’re not scoring points, we’re not going to win.

Regarding Skelton against Seattle this week, Go Skelton. Get Fitz the ball and get >60% completion and we have this game, regardless of the zebras on the field.

2. By samir on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Darren just heard skelton is starting the seahawk game, also what is going on with the “internal discussions” with Horton http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/03/report-cards-are-having-internal-conversations-on-ray-horton/
    us cardinal fans had heated debates over this, maybe you could clarify whats going on.

3. By This Guy on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I feel for Dockett. Defence gets 4 turnovers with only 6 points to show. He knew the offence had a snowballs chance in hell to score 6 then go for 2 after an 0-15 3rd down rate. Better off just taking the loss with sum sort of pride. 6-7 looks better than 6-14 I guess.

4. By Lixto on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

i dont like the spitting, but it was in the heat of the moment, it happends, also i like dockets motto of never ever layin down…. for nobody……..

5. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Can’t blame Dockett at all, especially with the offense playing like it has. Too bad all the D has to play for is stats, but you do what you have to do to motivate yourself. Proud to see that the D hasn’t quit on Horton.

6. By BIG RED on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

That’s why your the man. Keep doing your thing #90.

7. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey DD,
    You are a warrior! No apologizes necessary!! I’m glad we can be proud of our Defense! Now if we can get an offense to play ball like the D, we are Superbowl Bound!!!!

8. By joe holst on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

i want that beanie

9. By erik on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Dockett is the Fitzgerald of the Defense. He is one of the top D-linemen in the NFL and he is being wasted in a 3-4 defense. I feel bad for these guys.

10. By Victor Sanchez on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

That is why I love Darnell Docket…period

11. By Jesse Robles on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I say we start Ken Whisenhunt at Quarterback

12. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Samir —

RE: Horton

That report, if you read it, was based on one vague tweet. I don’t know what it means.

13. By donttakelosses on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Understood. The absurd speculation by the radio idiot jocks can now subside. Love Doc, love Kerry.

14. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Who did they fill on the 53 man roster since release Heap? Just curious?
    Mahalo!

15. By Dean Kennedy on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I’m thankful that Dockett wanted to stay out there and let the Jets run out the clock. The last thing any self-respecting Cardinals fan needed at that point was another “drive” by Lindley and his masters Dumb and Dumber with the score 14-6. Suffice to say neither Dockett nor Rhodes was the problem last Sunday, as usual. The only guy on the defense who needs to be singled out for criticism is Wilson.

16. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Roster

17. By Rich on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

we need a couple Docketts on the offense side of the line…………

18. By Cardinal on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

37 yrs a cards fan….ive worn #90 since 2008 when i had to special order it !!!!Go Dockett lets finish strong !!

19. By jocards on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I’m very; very happy to hear that Dockett did not spit in Rhodes face….However now I am wondering exactly where the story came from. I mean an on field disagreement between players is one thing but how did it become spitting in a teammates face? Is “the media” that irresponsible that they would just make that up? And the talk about the possibility of some sort of disciplinary action against Dockett …for what exactly? Disagreeing with Kerry Rhodes?

20. By LUKE on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Never ever lay down!Good job Double D!minus the spitting……

21. By jocards on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Just to follow up on my thinking about any possible disciplinary action against Dockett….Did an order come from the sideline to allow the Jets to score? If that were the case and Dockett refused to go along with it I could understand the club considering talking about some sort of disciplinary action….Outside of that scenario I can’t understand what they’d be even contemplating disciplining him for….Darren, any idea?

22. By MikeinMesa on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

For those of you agreeing with Dockett, you don’t know strategy. You do what you can to win the game. Thats not laying down. If the Jets had been foolish enough to score you still have a chance to tie and then maybe win the game. Thats not laying down. Thats being smart. Something Dockett can’t figure out I guess.

23. By Watsontom on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

We love our cards, I guess you can now see the forest for the trees. Someone was as more stubborn than 40 miles of bad road.

24. By sarah on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Fyi,

Your video’s posted to site are not playing, just a blank comes up.

25. By Raul on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

So far only half of the team has being showing up on the past 3 games and that is our defense so we need to start working on the other half. Good job

26. By johnnybluenose on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

everyone knows that the smart play for the cardinals was to allow the touchdown. that’s why the jets fell down at the one yard line. that was their smart play. dockett doth protest too much. as for kolb, sit down kevin. don’t even think about playing anymore this season. and dynosoar, the seahawks don’t need any help from the zebras to win on sunday. that’s just the way it is.

27. By phillycards on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

If kolb never gets hurt we still have a lot of work to do. We just need a more complete team next year. When he returns 8tds 3 picks 4-0 beat brady.he’s the man.

The problem is the coach. Lack of team direction. People like reggie wells walking away from the team because of conflicts with management.

We need a new direction like a college coach.somebody who will get a tightend and not waste 4 rosterspots. The other team is playing too whisenthunt

28. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

The tweet was from Jurecki. Know you guys are business competitors, Darren, but don’t you guys also compare notes, ask for insider information or this a situation where it’s better left unsaid.

29. By mal on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Darnell-

I dont care what our record is — you, sir, are a champion.

30. By Andy Kw on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Finally, there is actually a POSSIBILITY for a win. I posted earlier before the season that drafting Ryan Lindley was a bad decision. We could have easily won 3 straight if it wasn’t for him. John Skelton actually gives the offense an opportunity to spark. If the Cardinals win with Larry Fitzgerald producing over 100yds, I will stay a fan of this orgaenization. Ryan Lindley is not NFL ready at all and probably will not be by next season either. We need reliable backups, not a QB with no NFL experience. We could have signed a veteran QB like Dan Orvolsky before he was signed by the Bucs or we should have just kept Richard Bartel because he played extremely well in preseason. We have to bring back Richard Bartel to supplant Ryan Lindley because Lindley is terrible. I have no idea on what Ken Whiz has seen but as for what we as Cardinals fans have seen, Lindley is just terrible.

31. By clssylssy on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I hope the so-called Cardinal fans learned something about the credibility of the sports media. The fact is, sports writers are looking for a headline to get into SI or a major publication and don’t care what the cost is to the players. The best place to get information about what’s going on with the Cards is right here although, it seems that Darren is sometimes left hanging by the Organization as well. Thanks Darren for doing your best with what you got…kinda the same situation that Coach Whisenhunt is in!

32. By Andy Kw on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

John Skelton needs to get Larry Fitzgerald at least 150yds in this game. This is what should happen:
    Offense:
    -QB: J. Skelton 34-50 340yds 3TDs 1INT Rushing:30yds
    -RB: B.Wells 17-73yds-1TD LSH 3-14yds W.Powell 5-35yds (2rec 10yds)
    -WR: L.Fitzgerald 11-160yds-1TD A.Roberts 7-63yds-1TD M.Floyd 4-35yds E.Doucet 3-17yds
    -TE: R.Housler 5-55-1TD

Defense:
    -4sacks ((2) D.Washington, P.Lenon, D.Dockett)
    -3INT (K.Rhodes, W.Gay, A.Wilson)
    -1FF (S.Acho)

Hoping the Cardinals win over Seattle 34-26.

33. By cardsalltheway on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I keep waiting for a Ken W. headline. I can’t believe he’s not fired yet:( Anyway, if we are so unfortunate to have to tolerate this man for the rest of the season and next as well…Here is 2013 Mock 1.0 by Chris Greenberg…And of course with Ken W. we will reach and take another QB but only this time it’ll be in the 1st round…
    “NFL Mock Draft 1.0: 2013 NFL Draft Round 1 Projections Have Luke Joeckel As Top Pick”

“9. Arizona: Geno Smith, QB West Virginia
    Smith is not an elite quarterback in my eyes, but the Cardinals are desperate to find a quarterback so they reach for the ultra talented Smith who needs a ton of technique work.”

Frankly, I believe we’ll be drafting earlier than # 9 so Ken W. will be reaching even more to fill his need to use and abuse and ultimately ruin NFL QB’s. Can’t wait for the ongoing and continuation of more Mike Singletary type moments with Ken W. in 2013.

34. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

jocards —

RE: Details

Can’t help you. Sorry.

35. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Sarah —

RE: Videos

I’m not sure what to tell you. They are working OK for me.

36. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: MJ tweet

We talk all the time, but I haven’t asked him yet about that and as far as I know, he didn’t tweet anything else about it further.

37. By in fitz we trust on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

My mom just said, “Dockett is a pure bad ass!” Classic! ( your published “ass” in your article Darren, please let it stay just for this one comment )

38. By jocards on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

@ Darren –

Re: Details

I sort of figured that, thanks any way….It does strike me as strange that the club would be at least considering disciplinary action and that Dockett issued some sort of an apology….for what exactly? I mean as far as I know Rhodes didn’t apologize for anything….I am willing to take what folks are saying at face value but you don’t consider disciplinary measures for no reason…Would it be possible for you to find out if coach had issued an order to allow the Jets to score that was refused? In that case considering disciplinary action would make some sense….unfortunately it would also be a signal that a coach has lost his team. Just curious to know exactly what this is really all about.

39. By phillycards on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think cardinal media is into hustling coach change rumors.its not ny or philly but somebody had to do it.

40. By Kevin S on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Well, I agree with Whiz’s decision to play Skelton under the circumstances — I don’t see how you trot Lindley out there. But man, this sure makes Whiz look like an idiot (and I’m not one of those people who thinks he is an idiot who should’ve been fired weeks or years ago)… the musical chairs reeks of 2010. Anderson’s the guy… no wait, we’ll try Max Hall… no, back to Anderson. If the Cards are able to win, say, 2 out of their last 4 (against a tough part of our schedule) then the fans and media are going to crucify Whiz as the Jets and ATL game were clearly winnable (and who knows what would’ve happened in the STL game as well), which would put us at 8-8 or maybe even 9-7. And if Skelton proceeds to lose the next 4 (or until Kolb comes back, if that’s even going to happen), then all we’ll hear about is, from his supporters, how we crushed his confidence, etc., and from his detractors, how his inability to win this year proves he was never the guy to begin with and Whiz was an idiot for picking him the starter on opening day.

And I am not a Skelton fan but even I agree that he’s gotten a raw deal this year. Named the starter and has an unlucky injury. Comes back after Kolb gets hurt and faces the first brutal part of our schedule — @MIN, vs. SF, @GB, @ATL. Doesn’t play great but not horribly either. Gets pulled from ATL game w/ a lead. We lose that one. Then, two of the more winnable games left on the schedule, he sits and we lose. Now he has to come back against a team in the driver’s seat for a playoff spot, on the road, in one of the toughest venues to win (SEA is 5-0 at home), and then (assuming he continues to start) we also have the Bears and 49ers left as well, along with DET). While anything can happen any given week in the NFL, we will probably be at least a TD underdog in all those games except maybe DET. We are 10 point dogs to the Seahawks. The Seahawks, whom we’ve already BEATEN earlier this year. So it will surprise no one if we lose 3 or all 4 of these games. Obviously if you’re Skelton, you relish the chance to get back in there — it may be your only chance to redeem yourself and stick with the team, or at least prove yourself to someone else who might be willing to sign you as a backup in 2013. But going back in at this time in the year, wow… what an assignment.

41. By john the draft guy on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

I’m a little puzzled by Dockett (and the fans that applaud him)

You play the game to win. Anything short of that is failure. Dockett didn’t want him to score so they can be a top 5 defense? Yet, the only chance (although it was very slim) to win was to let them score. Come on Darnell.

Playing for stats is no way to play a team sport. Maybe QBs should not throw hail mary passes cuz they want to be top 5 QBs and it might be an INT.

I can see in the heat of battle, your emotions take over. But days later, you haven’t changed your thinking? Thank God we have smart players like Kerry Rhodes on this team.

I’m a Dockett fan, but that is dumb thinking.

42. By Mark on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Jesse Robles,
    i second that Coach Whizzenhunt should play Quarterback this week as long as they bring back DJ Young to play left tackle

43. By Patrick Eagan on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

@Andy Kw… I think your crazy if you think John Skelton is going to light it up. What the cardinals need is Kevin Kolb back. Am i being a bad fan by saying I want to see the cardinals lose the rest of the games so the cardinals can get a better draft pick?

44. By Darren Urban on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Jocards —

RE: more details

Whiz already has said they won’t be talking about it. We’ll see what happens Sunday, if anything.

45. By sarah on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Working now, great radio show spot btw and highly informative. Duly note I am staying out of the QB debate, Skelton has to perform on Sunday, we need a consistent offense with running game and passing. Defence can’t do a Green Bay !

Carroll press conference today where he praises Skelton .

46. By Chuck 1 on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

For those fans who want the Cards to finish 4-12 so that they can have a high draft choice, do you really believe that Graves and Keim will choose players who will fill the Cards’ NEEDS e.g. OL and QB? If you do, you’re smoking dope. Remember, Whiz might recommend players to draft, but it’s Graves who has the responsibility to make the final decision. And, it’s Keim’s responsibility to evaluate potential draftees. Neither have distinguished themselves in their decisions.

Re: promoting Horton to HC: As someone pointed out on a previous blog, he can’t even coach the defense to stop the other teams’ running game.

47. By Campbells on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Dockett is the man. Glad quitting is so foreign to him.
    If our offense had been playing decent, allowing a score for the opportunity to tie makes sense.
    We all know how the offense was playing. :(

48. By Rich on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

dockett for president………..

49. By johnnybluenose on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

whiz is a control freak but why are all of the players so afraid to speak up or express an opinion. as a fan, i want to know if our coaching staff sent in any specific instructions to the defense about whether or not to allow the jets to score a touchdown. i want to know if their heads were still in the game and i want to know if any of our players were not prepared to play as directed. why can we not know this? this is absurd. if whiz has been specifically asked those legitimate questions and if he has refused to give an answer, and is allowed to get away with it, what does that tell you about the state of things with this franchise ?

50. By lg on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

now ken want to make john the starter again he need to make up his mind cause i feel like we would have won the last three games if john was starting and i no for a fact we would have beat ATL but one dum a** move can kill your hold season ken that’s a message for you.

51. By louie on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

the cards have one of the best defense, but offense is horrible, how many games this season where the offense got 1 or less tds? I bought 400 dollar tickets to see them lose 17-3 to the rams. Regardless the qb position should be decided before first preseason game. It has not been 2/3 seasons and it has shown and to smith not being an elite qb, maybe not elite but top 15, right now we have 32 in kolb, 45 in skelton and lindley not even top 85. Just imagine if the cards had gotten peyton manning we would probably be at 10-2 & i would be looking into going to new orleans.

52. By Rugbymuffin on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

First things first.

The coaches are right in their thinking.

So, while Dockett, and myself are “wrong”, I completely understand what Dockett is saying.

Hopefully he went to the coaches and said, “If you are going to ask the defense to let a team score, take me out of the game.”

That would take all problems out of the situation.

When I coach highschool, or pop-warner, when this situation comes up, if I am not the head coach, I don’t say anything, but when I am running the show, I never, ever let a team score on purpose.

I didn’t as a player in any sport, and I will never support that as the right decision.

I stand by, and agree with Dockett and his opinion of the situation. Yet, if the Head Coach wants it then that is what needs to be done, right or wrong.

Even though in this situation Whiz really doesn’t have a leg to stand on with his reasoning. If you are playing to win the game, then do what you need to win the game. Don’t leave a horrible QB in the game that was clearly not going to give you a chance to win, and then ask the defense that had carried that team to lay down.

For who ? For what ?

To give Lindley back the ball and watch him crumble mentally again ?

I am not saying Dockett is right, just saying I understand.

53. By john the draft guy on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

What you fans dont understand is, letting them score is not giving up. That is not quiting. Stopping them and allowing them to take a knee sealed the game.

You saw it in the Superbowl where the Patriots let the Giants score to get the ball back. They weren’t giving up, they were trying to win.

If the Jets score, they are up by 8 with a minute plus on the clock. We have the ball to take one more shot to tie and maybe win in OT. Sure our offense was terrible and Lindley would have thrown 4 passes over everyones head and we lose.

But at least we are playing to win the game.

Dockett is dead wrong. Even if the coach didn’t say anything, at least Rhodes was thinking of a way to win. Dockett was thinking about stats.

It is a team game and the only stat that matters is the 4-8 record. The defense is 4-8, just like the offense.

54. By suspence716 on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I completely agree with Docket. It would have been way different if the game was 37 to 36 and the offenses were scoring like crazy and getting the ball back would have been another chance to score, but it wasn’t. It was a 7-6 ball game and the cardinals offense had generated a measly 22 yds on offense in that whole second half. Dockett is completely right, at that point in that game it was more about pride and finishing a dominating defensive day strong!

55. By Mike Ellingboe on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy,

That is one strategy (which has yet to work for the Patriots), but another is to play hard and force a turnover, since, as you noted, our offense wasn’t going to put together a game winning last minute drive (capped off by a two-point conversion).

I think you’re misinterpreting what Dockett is saying. He knows the only way we’re going to win is if the defense puts itself into the top five overall. If he only cared about stats he’d have gone off about his role in the 3-4 a long time ago.

56. By 100saladguy on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

OK. What am I missing here?
    For all of you saying “yeah, never lay down”… I think it is YOU that are missing something.

We were down 1… w/o enough timeouts to stop the clock.
    The CORRECT strategy was letting him score. Actually pushing him into the endzone was the CORRECT strategy… as evidenced by the fact that the runner laid down ON PURPOSE. 14-6, you get the ball, 45 sec to go… 8 points ties it and it OT. (that’s assuming we can move the football)

Do you think his offense yelled at him for not scoring? Unlikely.

Right move, let him score.
    Right move, lay down and not score.
    You saw correct strategy… and irrational thought by Darnell Dockett.
    I respect his desire to play great defense, but his thought process would be similar to an offense, up 4 with 3 minutes to go, saying… yes, yes, we know the best thing for the team is to run the ball and force them to take TOs… but… we want to throw the ball. Stats, man. You know. Stats! Never stop trying to score! That’s our offensive motto! End up in the top 5 OFFENSES.

Just short-sighted, well-meaning judgement by Dockett. (and most posters)

57. By Jordan on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Punish Dockett? For what? I agree that letting them score was the correct strategy, but what did he do so wrong that he should get punished for it? If he gets punished for that, then Lindley should get ARRESTED for the way he played.

58. By Brock on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Put even a somewhat compitent offense on the field and this wouldn’t even be a discussion.

2. Dec 7, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Friday before the Seahawks
  3. Dec 7, 2012: ARIZONA CARDINALS – Darnell Dockett fined $200,000 by Arizona Cardinals
  4. Dec 7, 2012: Darnell Dockett fined $200,000 by Arizona Cardinals | Fan-Spot.com
  5. Dec 7, 2012: ARIZONA-CARDINALS.INFO – Darnell Dockett fined $200,000 by Arizona Cardinals
  6. Dec 8, 2012: Darnell Dockett fined $200,000 by Arizona Cardinals | US 24 TV
  7. Dec 20, 2013: Cardinals Blogs | Friday before the Seahawks different for Dockett