Inside Kolb’s insides

Posted by Darren Urban on December 6, 2012 – 9:17 am

It was interesting Wednesday, as Kevin Kolb talked about his ribs injury and how his recovery has slowed of late, Kolb referenced the idea that some aren’t sure if he would even want to come back and play, especially with the Cards in the straits they are in. Kolb wants to return — I didn’t really doubt that, and he is genuine in talking about his frustration in not coming back — but I was impressed he could connect dots in what people might be wondering.

But when you listen to exactly what he is going through, what his body is going through, it’s almost surprising he is considering a return.

“A lot of the (slow recovery) goes back to the injury itself,” Kolb said. “The way that my ribs are broken, they aren’t completely healed.

“Whenever the cartilage broke, (the ribs) are laying underneath my sternum. That’s how they are trying to heal, rather than healing where it’s butted up straight against it like a normal cracked rib, flush with each other, mine are laid underneath there. That’s what extends the process.”

Eventually, Kolb’s insides will heal — not like they were before, but nothing that will hurt him long-term, apparently — but unlike a bone that will heal in virtually a set amount of time, the cartilage aspect along with the placement has complicated matters. He dismisses thoughts of not being able to return, even though the odds to come back seem longer at the moment. Throw in the team’s losing streak, and it’s no wonder Kolb — who has been practicing on a limited basis — talks about approaching rehab one day at a time and pushing just to maintain “sanity.” He’d be out there Sundays if he could. He simply cannot right now.

“All around,” Kolb said, “it’s just not an ideal situation.”

KolbHealthBlogUSZE

Tags:

62 Responses to “Inside Kolb’s insides”

1. By Nick Pepe on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I do not question his toughness. I am sure he is frustrated.

Darren – are you surprised that a QB has not been added to the roster. I would have thought that someone would have been considered by now.

Nick Pepe
    Lifetime Member

2. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Nick –

RE: Surprised

No, because carrying four doesn’t make a lot of sense. I would think, if they believe Kolb is done — and he has been practicing — they might, but not at this point. They keep a QB inactive anyway.

3. By Tom Donlan on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Whether or not he’s played his last snap as a Cardinals player, I feel for Kolb – behind that OL it was always going to be tough to survive. Got a lot of respect from me for toughing it out until the rib injury got him.

4. By Kevin S on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Is it fair to say that Kolb is almost certainly gone for 2013 without a contract restructuring? And assuming that’s the case, do you believe the Cardinals intend to try to renegotiate (for the right price, whatever that is, and whether that’s to be the presumptive starter, or to compete with/back up/keep the seat warm for someone we might draft)? I have to believe that, given he’s been here now two years in this system, his highest value in the NFL is to this team… not sure anyone else would pick him up to be anything more than a backup, given the injury history, but I’m also not sure what this team would pay him to stay.

Do we owe him any kind of buyout if he’s released?

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S –

RE: Kolb contract

If he is cut, no, he wouldn’t get any more money. Yes, I believe he would have to restructure to return. Yes, I think those talks — both from the Cards’ situation and from Kolb’s — will be among the most interesting of the offseason. Both sides would seem to have some leverage, but I would think both need each other, at least how it stands now.

6. By Travis on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I think Kevin has been tough in regards to all the hits he has taken. However, he had the same protection that John and Ryan shared and they haven’t taken near the shots…
    With only 4 games left in this disaster, I don’t envy Ken’s posistion. It has to be hard for him knowing that he can’t impliment his whole playbook, but you have to be able to have some sort of production out of your base offense. Poor talent evaluation for 6 years will do that I guess…
    Ray Horton has done in two years what Whiz couldn’t in 6. His personal quabbles with the players is juvinile. He has ruined many players with bright futures that have come through Arizona. How do you expect these guys to take chances and learn when all they can think about is being pulled if they make a mistake?
    P.P. has been playing like “the guy we thought he was”!!! Why can’t we see a little more Pat Cat? Hell, I am sure we’d get more yards out of that alone than we did in NY!
    Darren, I have a pretty good arm. Couldn’t be much worse, when can I walk on?!

7. By sarah on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I think the Buffalo guy that did his ribs should have been fined as it was more than just a tackle, it looked somewhat malicious in a deceptive way ! Kolb would be crazy to push an early return, season is blown and risking further injury with a hit would be daft. Take the offseason to let it heal fully. I anticipate major changes all around in the spring and Kolb would definitely have to restructure. He cannot risk another injury to show his worth. Ill timed injuries took a toll on the season.

8. By D on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Not sure how much leverage Kolb would have for other teams, unless Andy Reid gets the SD job and would bring him in as a backup. Doubt if any of the other teams who need a QB would pay him as much as AZ to compete next year against a rookie. If I am Kolb, I would sit out the next 4 weeks to keep his 4-0 record leverage against AZ so his restructure doesn’t go too low…

Since Andrew Luck or RGIII is not in this draft, Kolb has a good shot of starting here for half of next year until he falters or get’s hurt again for the rookie to come in

9. By Mark on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

A couple of months ago i fell of my mountain bike and suffered cracked ribs and detached cartilage. Kolbs injury was worse because his strenum was detached from his ribs. I can tell you this tho, that this kind of injury sucks and takes forever to heal. For weeks its hard to breath, sleep and you will double over in pain every time you sneeze. Your rib cage feels loose which is a wierd feeling. Just a week ago after starting to feel better, i threw a football around with some friends and and after my ribs hurt again, and this is at least two months after my injury and was not as severe as Kolbs. I was frustrated with Kolb like alot of fans because of him bailing from the pocket too soon during the preseason. However Kolb won me over from the beating he took in the Dolphins and Rams games. The guys is tough, but so far has been unlucky. i would really like to see him play with this improved offensive line this year, but dont know if that is possible. I do want Kolb to be on the team next year. I do think Kolb is a good Quarterback but you have to play to his strenghts.

10. By phillycards on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Kolb is gone if whiz isn’t. No way he deals with another yr of bone head coaching, I knew hed stay away this yr. That’s why he has an agent.

11. By Dynosoar on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

All any team needs to be a payoff contender is a quarterback that has >60% completions. We don’t have that, with any of our quartebacks. If we can get that productivity, we’re playoff bound.

And that kind of productivity can’t come with broken ribs. So I’m for Kolb healing, whether he’s here next year or somewhere else, I’m for him being healed.

Just goes to show the psychology of a man. If we’re at work or home and we stub our toe we’re like, “I gotta sit for a while.” But if we’re on the football field, we can have a bone protruding from our skin and we’ll state, “It’s only a flesh wound, just let me play a little while longer.” (Unless there’s a doctor pulling us.)

Kevin, I want to play. That’s cause it’s football and he’s a man.

12. By Dean Kennedy on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

After the first STL game I will never question Kolb’s toughness. Given the failure of the team to field an NFL-caliber offensive line, there’s no upside to him coming back this year. Heal properly and let the new GM and Head Coach get to work on assembling the average or better OL any NFL QB deserves.

13. By suspence716 on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I don’t question his toughness either but some people are just made of glass… Kolb, weenie wells……..

14. By DanishCard on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

actually since kolb got injured line play has improved…I think his injury is the key thing in this lost season. Kolb was playing pretty well and with the him I’m sure we would have been 7-5 by now …no way we lose to Jets, Atlanta or Rams with descent QB-play…..and that is even with the cards’ bonehead offensive coaching….

15. By Dynosoar on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Mark,

Great insight. I don’t see many feeling too good under the two D-Linemen from Buffalo. (And if Sarah’s right and there was some extra roughing up happening.)

And he wants to come back and face it again. I love playing the game, probably because the biggest guy that’s taking me down is still under 210lbs. Heal well Kevin. Heal well.

16. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

There’s just no way, with this kind of injury, that Kolb should be expected by anyone in this organization to return this year. Just way too much risk and unknowns about what may happen when he takes another big hit. There’s always next year. Really, he should be on IR right now. There’s nothing to gain and everything to loose for Kevin by coming back this season.

I’ve never been a big fan of Kevin’s, but out of respect for him, his family, and his future health, I hope he comes through this as good as he can. He’s got a lot of life to live, but he’s only got one body to live it in, and It will only become a more of a permanently twisted mess ravaged by arthritis with each additional big hit he takes. All pros suffer that fate to some extent, but I think it’s going to be particularly bad for Kevin after he retires.

17. By Cardinal fever on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I do not doubt his toughness, but as for someone who should be a leader on this team when ever I have seen him on television or at home games while injuried he seems disengaged and disinterested in the play of the QB on the field. Maybe him and Skeleton do not get along but Lindley could have used some additional guidance.

18. By Patrick Eagan on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

@ DanishCard… You took the words right out of my mouth. I completely agree.

19. By redbirdman on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

All this talk about Kolb is interesting. The bottom line is that he will not be back with the Cardinals unless he agrees to restructure his contract. There is no way the Cardinals will pay him the $9 million he’s due before the start of the 2013 season. If he sticks around then he’ll be a “stop gap” until the Cardinals and their new coach can secure a viable starting NFL quarterback either through free agency or the draft.

The sad truth is that Kolb does NOT have the chops to be an elite NFL quarterback. He is injury prone, just like Beanie and Ryan Williams. Neither of whom can be counted on to endure the rigors of a full 16 game schedule.

I say get rid of Beanie and Williams and use Kolb next year until we can identify a starting franchise quarterback.

20. By bilo on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren – I am so very confused and disappointed at the treatment of Rich Bartel. This man earned the # 2 job last year and was oddly demoted mid-season for Skelton after having clearly beaten him in the 2011 preseason. Bartel also had an excellent 2010 preseason with the Redskins which is why Wiz was made aware of him in the first place. He has a long history of success in the preseason. He’s also performed well in the few chances he has been on the field during a regular season game. I’m hoping you can tell me why you and some of the other writers are no holding Wiz’s feet to the fire on the decision to cut him and not bring him back during this mediocre run we’ve seen where Wiz has already tacitly admitted Skelton and Lindley are not fit for an NFL field. Bartel is the better QB, and it really should be obvious – and who knows how good he can be. Is it because he is older? He is still 29. Is it because he’s an undrafted guy with no cache to his name? I’m also hopeful you can acknowledge my points without dismissive responses like “he’s not the answer”. I respect your reporting a great deal but we get enough coach speak from the coach. We would love to see you and the other writers start holding Wiz accountable for this decision.
    Bilo

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Bilo –

RE: Bartel

What do you want me to say? I like Rich, he is a good guy, but the Cardinals weren’t the only team to let him go nor has another team picked him up since he was released. In his three appearances with the Cards, his stats (26-50, 236 yards, 1 TD, 2 Picks, 55.1 quarterback rating) look a lot like what Skelton and Lindley have posted, so I’m not sure how you get that he is definitively better.

22. By Kevin S on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

D –

That’s my thinking too. Whiz doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who would throw even a first-round rookie out there from day 1 unless, perhaps, it was a Luck/RG3 type of talent. (And it wasn’t too long ago that most of the NFL was that way — you rarely saw rookie QB’s step in immediately even just a few years ago.) If I’m Kolb and going to be released otherwise, I think I’d play for whatever I can get for one more year in AZ where at least he might have the chance to be the starter… if it goes well (both in terms of how he plays, and not getting injured) his market value goes up for whatever the rest of his NFL career looks like. Another early season-ending injury and it’s probably over for him.

And I agree with everyone here that unless Kolb is 100% (which I don’t think he’s likely to be any time soon), he shouldn’t play again this year. Based on the early prognosis it sounded like he might have been expected to return by about now, but at that time we were all hoping the team would’ve won at least a couple of the games while he was out… Now, there’s no point.

23. By Kevin S on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Bilo — come on, man, as Darren says, what else can he say? I don’t disagree that Bartel wouldn’t have been any worse than Lindley ended up being in actual action (as it would almost be impossible to be worse), but when you release a guy who’s willing to play for peanuts and no one else picks him up to be even their #3 guy, it’s hard to believe there’s any “there” there. 32 NFL teams usually aren’t wrong.

24. By bilo on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Thx for reply Darren – Below I just copied and pasted what rotoworld.com said after Bartel’s 2011 preseason and the last 2 times he stepped on the field during regular season. Forgive me if it is too long. Look, Kurt Warner was cut many times and ignored by everyone else until he was 28 years old. Brett Favre’s first few games were interception riddled. Of course I am not comparing him to those two – I’m just saying you are using a small sample size. But when he’s been on the field he has found a way to get Fitzgerald the ball and he can stretch the field. His accuracy is suspect, I understand that. And if he sucks, well what have we really lost, we are already knee deep in suck-city with Skelton as governor and Lindley the mayor. But I really don’t think he will be bad. Seems similar to Brandon Weeden to me

Bartel completed 12-of-16 passes for 216 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception against the Broncos in the preseason finale.
    He can sling it. Bartel finished the preseason an eye-popping 37-of-54 (68.5 percent) for 530 yards (9.8 YPA) and a 5-2 TD-to-INT ratio for a passer rating near 110.0. He’s earned the No. 2 job over John Skelton, who has been sidelined with an ankle injury.

In relief of an inept John Skelton, Richard Bartel completed 8-of-16 passes for 64 yards with a touchdown in Sunday’s loss to the 49ers.
    Bartel showed impressive arm strength, somehow getting a 23-yard touchdown pass to Larry Fitzgerald through two defenders. He also looked comfortable in the pocket, checking down to Early Doucet well.

Coming on in relief of John Skelton, Richard Bartel completed 16-of-28 passes for 150 yards in a Week 17 loss to the 49ers.
    Larry Fitzgerald owners wish they had Bartel throwing in Week 16. Bartel amazingly compiled those numbers in a shade more than one quarter of action. He came out firing down field, targeting Fitzgerald on his first three throws while showing no hesitation whatsoever.

25. By Kevin S on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Anyone see this proposal to eliminate kickoffs that the NFL is apparently considering (not sure how seriously). After a TD or FG, the ball would be placed on your 30 and you’d be facing 4th and 15. So you could either punt (the equivalent of kicking off) or go for it (the equivalent, I suppose, of trying an onside kick in an effort to retain possession).

Personally, I love kickoff returns, but with the ball now at the 35 that’s just become touchback after touchback anyway. This new rule would be pretty cool in some ways, although it would eliminate the occasional surprise onside kick (and I’m not sure how often a team would try a surprise fake punt, with 15 yards to go). So no element of surprise — the situations where a team would go for it would probably be obvious (trailing late in the game), although some coaches might be more likely to go for it with, say, 3 minutes to go whereas others might trust their D to get the ball back.

26. By bilo on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S- I realize I’m taking a contrarian position here. The NFL has always been about gathering behind the consensus opinion and, in a QBs case, giving him endless amounts of time to justify their selection as the chosen one (see Sanchez, Mark). But how many QBs have been passed up and discarded ended up being great (Kurt Warner, Tom Brady) or good (Jake Delhomme, Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia), or at least solid backups at the least (Shaun HIll, Matt Moore). At the very least we could find a stable long term backup, Because Skelton and Lindley are not NFL QBs in any capacity. And NFL teams have also often been wrong on top draft picks as well, and I’m sure I don’t need to go through that list. I know everyone downplays the preseason, and for the elite players they should, but for guys like Bartel its the only chance you can change the consesnus opinion of yourself, and his preseason history dating back to the Cowboys has been impressive.
    If we are absolutely hell bent on not giving Bartel a chance, then sign someone else off the street, maybe Josh Johnson. But by benching Skelton already and Lindley now, he has admitted they don’t fit, and we all agree, so lets spend the last few weeks evaluating someone who might…
    Bilo

27. By JOHNKHENSON on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

The quest for the holy grail continues, the question is not that Kolb is a competent quarterback but rather his stability to stay healthy. Considering that we have stuck with his project two straight years and the fact he did perform for a certain point of time, might they be considering this a failed experiment? I saw Todd Heap release and I thought to myself “Todd Heap has been injured almost the same amount of time as Kevin Kolb, why wouldn’t they release him?” Any thoughts of drafting a new quarterback or do you think we should sign a quarterback in free agency.

28. By JR on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Kolb should not come back this season, period. As I have said before in this blog, this was a very serious injury. My son had a similar injury when he was young caused by a surgery, so my wife and I know quite a bit about the condition. I don’t like the way Kevin describes his healing and the position of his ribs. That doesn’t sound good to me. It would be very foolish for him to come back this year, even if our offensive line were pro bowl caliber..

29. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

John Henson –

RE: QB

I think all those options will be considered in the offseason.

30. By Rich on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Is Keim under contract beyond this year? Also, is there an assistant coach on defense that might be considered an heir apparent to Horton as D Coordinator?

31. By georgiebird on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Kolb is not the QB of the future- unless the future is in some Band Aid League. So let’s get that out of the way.
    1) In the 1st 3 games Kolb started against Seattle (at home); New England (away) and Philly (at home ) the Cards defense gave up 3 points, 6 points and 0 points respectively in the 1st half of those starts.
    2) In the 1st 3 games Skelton started against the Vikes (away) SF (home) and GB(away) the Cards’ defense was lousy giving up 14 points, 17 points and 21 points, respectively, in the 1st half of those starts.
    So anyone trying to compare the two guys should take into account:
    1) Skelton played 2 of 3 games on the road; Kolb played 2 of 3 games at home.
    2) the defense played much worse in the 1st half of Skelton’s starts
    3) Skelton played from behind in all of his games due to defensive poor play
    4) the TDs by the opposition in the Skelton games were all on drives of 65 yards or more-no cheapies.
    5) the three opposing teams for Skelton were playing their best ball of the season when they played the Cards
    Now, that takes us to the Seattle game- it’s an away game and Seattle is playing it’s best ball of the season-And Skelton starts in a nightmare place for any QB- do I see a pattern here? Hope our defense gives JS a chance.

32. By Darren Urban on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Rich –

RE: Keim/assistants

Yes, I believe Keim is under contract, but I do not know for sure. As for a heir apparent, I don’t know if there is an obvious choice.

33. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I like Kevin Kolb, I really do. But this injury thing is just too much to ignore. He cannot be counted on. Would be nice if we could get anything of consequence in a trade for him, but…if I’m another team, why am I gonna do that when I could get him for nothing when he is released???

In other news, I am quite encouraged by the news that Norv Turner is likely to be fired in San Diego. YES!!!!! Cannot believe he will ever be a head coach again, but he would be awesome in Arizona as an O-coordinator. The organization needs to be aggressive and get this done. Unlike the opprtunity they had when Wade Phillps was available and was such an OBVIOUS top candidate to be a D-coordiantor and they failed to make that happen. Yeah, like it’s any surprise how good the Texans are on D these days? Right. Well, opportunity looks to be knocking again. Norv Turner is one of the best O-coordinators on the planet right now. And I can’t think of a team more in need than this sorry-ass cast of characters.

34. By cardsalltheway on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Kolb was injured 3 times this year? First he took himself out of a game, then he got injured and later returned, and finally it was the ribs. Of course we had a terrible OL, Kolb got sacked numerous times – 9 vs. the Rams.

Ken W.’s theory that all rookies(unless a top 5 pick) ought not play immediately or early in the year has got to go. Proof is in the pudding, look at the QB’s playing in the league that were drafted the past 2 years. If a rookie QB can start why not an OL? But of course Ken W. & Co. missed out on the run on QB’s and now the 2013 draft looks weak. Nonetheless, Ken W.’s addiction with QB’s will not end if he is allowed to manage the Cardinals draft/season next year.

Ken W. takes his sweet *** time making player decisions and those that he does make are usually wrong. Mr. Bidwill’s please end the soap opera now!

“As The Cards Turn” – proper word play with the popular soap opera. I didn’t know daytime TV(soap opera’s) and the NFL had so much in common.

35. By cobra on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

We need a healthy QB to start Sunday, who does not turn the ball over.

Word from Whiz, is, georgiebird is starting this weekend instead of Skelton!. After he wins the Superbowl, well, he is taking cardsalltheway, chuck !, and some others to Disneyland before they fortell their future draft picks for next year.

It is what it is. There are times when there are problems, then there are times when you look at reality. Something has to give. This year, well, not in our favor.

If we start all over now with a new HC, then we really are SOL. It would be another 3 years to see the changes with a new staff!

36. By Patrick on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I was really rooting for Kevin Kolb. He was traded for and paid to settle the quarterback position. That did not happen last year because of the lockout and lack of offseason. It did not happen this offseason as he did not win the quarterback job. I do not question Kolb’s toughness, but bottom line is our quarterback situation is exactly where it was when Warner retired. Leinart was the scheduled starter but had a big contract number for his last year of his rookie contract. It was a good try to settle the QB position, but obviously we either bet on the wrong horse, or did not adapt the offense to Kolb’s strengths.
    Same with Bradley, after we signed him to a $30M contract, we learned the 3-4 defense was drastically different than a 4-3 defense for a linebacker. Expensive lesson to learn.

37. By Campbells on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

If Whiz is still here next year, Kolb will have a job.
    If Whiz goes, so does Kolb.

38. By georgiebird on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

@Cobra-
    Your post started strong and you actually began to make some sense. But when you got to the part that we will be “SOL if we start with a new HC”, your post began to hit the skids. Have you heard the story about how quick Jim Harbaugh turned things around in SF, or how the other coaches in our division have done a nice job of changing the culture in Sea and STL. Have no fear Cobra, we will survive the loss of the Whiz.

39. By cobra on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

yes georgie;

I was only making fun. Still, we don’t want to have the same scenario as San Fran did when Singletary was coach before Harbaugh. It would only be reversed with Whiz and Horton. That is my concern Not sure he is ready!

40. By phillycards on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

There is no player available in college or free agency who can come in next year throw 8 tds and 3 picks and beat tom brady.
    Kolb is not the problem. Its wisenhunt. The line didn’t get better defenses play back and don’t blitz skelton. Its the defense waiting on a pick. They blitz the more accurate guy.
    Steve kiem and rod graves bring in players that whiz has wanted. Why do we have every released steeler starting cornerback in mcfadden and gay?
    Because whiz wants them.
    Ala Brian st pierre. rod graves makes less money.whiz makes 5 million a year.rod graves did not fall inlove with pittsburg.lsh went to pitt

41. By BIG RED on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

In all the years that kolb has played in the NFL, how many games has he won. Also, in all those years how many of those seasons has he finished healthy. I just don’t understand why so many of you think we should keep him for next year. I just have to say the Bidwell’s love to throw their money away. We all know next year the same thing will happen again, like every year. So please, let him go and let him do his business somewhere else. Cardinal fever, I agree with you.

42. By cardsalltheway on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Cobra,
    You do realize we’ve lost 8 games in a row thus far and it’ll likely be 9. Then, if you don’t look now the Ken W. losing streak will reach 10, 11, and yes even 12 games in a row, earth to Cobra.

43. By Marcelo on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Indeed Kolb ain’t the problem, altough he ain’t the solution either…
    It’s so clear, no one can deny, cards are desperately needing a new offensive THING. I mean, they do need an improved oline, they do need a consistent QB and the most important, they MUST address a new OC, the bottom line is the oline should be the offseason’s attention. 1st. 2nd, 3rd draft picks if possible…. They need to give QB room, a second more to the receivers, it’s not asking much!!

Darren, considering this scenario we’ve been facing at QB… before the upcoming drills, and the 2013 players class, can we expect Cardinals to draft a QB on their 1st pick?

44. By Cert 33 on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

I hope that Kevin Kolb does not try to come back this season before his ribs have healed properly. This season has been lost since the O-line was exposed to the entire league in the Dolphin game. I have been watching pro football since the 60′s and the week after week beating that Kolb took this season is the worst I have seen since Dan Pastorini with the Oilers in 1979. We need Kevin Kolb healthy next season (with a new O-line and O-line coach). We do need a couple of Veteran back-up QB’s as well (Bartel?) Skelton and Lindley should be cut.

45. By wnycardfan on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Agree with a few here, Kolb isn’t the answer. He is a stop gap, medicore QB that would probably be better than Skeleton and Lindley, but he won’t get us to playoffs. We still need THE answer in that position.
    Coach to me is no longer the answer either. I’m not totally sold on Horton being head coach, but he is definently a great DEF coach. I hope we can keep him.
    A new HC doesn’t mean 3 MORE years of crap either. Obviously you cannot predict the future with anyone, BUT we know what we got with Whiz. you might as well role the dice and get a new one in and see what they can do.

46. By KKfan on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

For once I agree with Sara, that Kolb shouldn’t attempt to get back out on that field. I’m sure he knows his job is in jeopardy due to this latest injury. And that could be why he wants to get back out there. But that injury seems to have been far more serious than many imagined.

I’ve had broken ribs so I know how painful it is. Every breath is wrought with pain . You’re weeks before you can even breath properly…much less do anything physical.

The guy must be under some kind of black cloud. It seems all he has done is deal with one injury after another since joining the Cardinals. He was never injury prone while in Philly. He suffered a concussion in the opener to GB…that was the only injury he sustained of any signifigance. Even than after one week out he was cleared to play the following week,.But thats when Andy made the decision to stick with Vick.

Its hard to say how Kolbs career would have gone had Andy stuck with him. I’m sure the decision by Kolb to ask to be traded, ( knowing Vick was the installed QB of the future ) having sat behind McNabb ( with the exception of spot duty or in relief of him when injured) has been one he has come to regret many times over. Given how these last two seasons have gone for him.

Kevins a fighter. He’ll bounce back . If not here than somewhere. He is a good Qb and if given the right supporting cast he can demonstrate that.
    Get well Kevin and good luck in your future.wherever that may be. Still a fan.

47. By sarah on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Pretty accurate assessment below.

48. By cobra on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway,

re: earth to cobra,

Yes, I realize we have lost 8 games in a row. Unlike you, I don’t need to read every article on every football site to comprehend this fact. What I do understand is there is not 1 team which could overcome the injuries our offense has indured.

Again, your observations of the team are always negative, even if we win. You contradict yourself constantly. If you do have a valid point, it is always hindsight of the situation. Now, back to Disneyland for you where someone may take you seriously, or not I’m guessing?

49. By phillycards on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

The relationship between andy reid and kolb is non existent. Why would kolb want to play for him? Why would kolb have any loyalty to whiz?
    Why would kolb accept a pay cut?

He’s been pissed about his treatment from both coaches and they both are going to be fired. No new owner would hire andy or whiz then sign kolb. That’s dumb. It failed

If you look at his stats among the other card qbs he’s got nothing to worry about he wasn’t part this travesty. He won.

Why do people think whiz has a formula for dealing with qbs?

Some how whiz is getting respect.is it the new fans?

50. By erik on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Not to be a jerk, but here goes…

You all that want Kolb back next year saying he should be our starter are absolutely DELUSIONAL!

And calls for Rich Bartel? I am literally rolling on the floor laughing.

Until Whiz starts forming plans around the players he has instead of forcing everyone to do things his way (Which of course “works” as he likes to tell us in every interview for the past 3 years) we are going to continue to have these offensive* problems.

*offensive can be interpreted in more than one way.

51. By cobra on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

erik,

re: until Whiz starts forming a plan around the players he has:

What players are available? We have one of the best Ds in the league. Don’t forget, the teams we play have a D also. This is why there is a draft, to replentish your depth. Our O sucks right now. It’s easy to look at a team on paper, yet harder to be perfect. Key injuries may be the downfall of Whiz? You’re damned if you do, and damned if you don’t. We sold out on D. Now we pay the price to upgrade the O. Still don’t see a franchise QB coming out of the draft to save the day. Also, don’t want to lose Horton. He’s done a great job, but the D can’t play O. Yeah, I know, it’s always one more year, but that’s where we are now. JTDG has a decent QB on watch. Is he there when we draft? Maybe, but it will still take time for him to develope. Kolb may be our only option to start next year when he restructures his contract.

52. By bilo on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see Kolb retire, or maybe a year as a backup somewhere else and then retire. I think he is taking the Marc Bulger path. If he did I wouldn’t blame him. He’s had at least 3 concussions I believe dating back to college and with the new information we are learning about concussions, if I’m Mrs. Kolb I’m saying, “yeah hun, it would be great and all to try and win a superbowl but I’d rather you have all your faculties when you are 50, so lets enjoy the $35 million we banked the last few years and live the life of the 1% now”…

As for Rich Bartel, I’m certainly not saying go into next year with him by any stretch. I am saying I would love to see what he can do in these last 4 games, given his preseason success, so as to make them useful games for evaluating a potential backup job next year as opposed to just riding them out with 2 qbs that will likely not have NFL jobs next year, much less be on our roster. I don’t see what is so unreasonable about that?
    Bilo
    ps – I will again point out that Bartel won and earned the #2 job going into 2011 and was inexplicably stripped of it somewhere around week 5 or 6 or so.

53. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Bilo –

RE: Bartel/2011

That’s an arguable point on Bartel and the backup spot. Skelton suffered a bad ankle sprain late in 2011 preseason. I’m not sure Skelton loses the No. 2 job had that not happened. When he was fully healed, that’s when he was moved back into the No. 2 spot.

54. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Bilo -

C’mon, man….really? Rich Bartel??? Please take a moment to jot down the names of the QB’s playing for the top 10 or so teams in the leagus right now. OK. Now, ask yourself – do ya think we need to be setting our sights just a bit higher than Rich Bartel??? he wasn’t able to secure a job HERE and we have one of the worst QB situations in the league for a solid 3 years running. Believe me, there IS a reason for that.

Rich Bartel ain’t taking us anywhere NEAR where we need to go. Why are we even talking about him??? Always amazed by this…when you have a league with nowhere near enough good-great QB’s to go around, why do people think that guys who aren’t even employed by a team are the answer???

55. By bilo on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

hey Darren – ok, that’s a fair point, I concede that. But statistically speaking Bartel outplayed Skelton in 2011 preseason and the #2 job may have went to Skelton for other reasons, probably youth and draft pick justification.
    Comp. % yds y/a td int passer rating
    Bartel 37-54 68.5% 530 9.8 5 2 115.5
    Skelton 9-17 52.9% 133 7.8 1 0 98.4

Granted, not a lot of reps for Skelton there, but he has a long history now with a passer rating in the 60s. We know what we’ve got in him. Bartel in 2010 w/Redskins (12-14 125 yds 1td), 2009 w/ Browns (15-18 177 yds 103.5 passer rating). He’s not been given many opportunities but he’s made the most of them.

Darren, maybe I’m off base here, but nobody knows that for sure. Bartel’s regular season stats so far are not fair to fall back on as they were all during blowout losses when he was asked to just air it out, no running game, in the 4th quarter of 3 separate games. And truthfully he’s looked competent in those games in moving the chains. He’s not been provided the opportunity that Lindley, Skelton, Max Hall, etc have all received. If you are saying that you saw Bartel everyday in practice and there’s just nothing there, well I respect that. But when I see the stats and his big arm and ability to air it out and get the ball to Fitzgerald and the reviews of his play the few times he’s been on the field, I just get the sense there is something more there that we may all be missing…maybe I’m wrong, but at this point in the season I’d love to find out.
    Bilo

56. By Jon Taylor on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Restructure Kolb, draft Barkley/Wilson/Murray/Bray (1) /Nassib(2). Then start Kolb giving them time to learn system and if bad play/injury happens go to the rookie.

Simples.

57. By cardsalltheway on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Cobra,
    “What I do understand is there is not 1 team which could overcome the injuries our offense has indured.”

Obviously you forgot that no excuses were to be made or accepted this year. The “injury” excuse is the stupidest excuse since every team has “injuries.” You see, what good teams do when injuries occur is put in good replacements or not wait until half the season is over before they do(ala Nate Potter) and show confidence in thy QB replacement. The lack of confidence Ken W. has shown Johnny S. in the past has gotten old and so representative of Whiz-n-punt.

“You contradict yourself constantly.”

If so then you should easily be able to give me 3 examples, I doubt you could give me one. Why, because as you say below in quotation marks…

Let me show you how you contradict yourself and I’ll do so by using your own words. Sound impossible, not at all, not when dealing with Cobra.

First you said I “constantly contradict myself” without showing me an example and then you say…

“Again, your observations of the team are always negative.”

If I’m “always negative,” where is the contradiction on my part?

Keep on contradicting yourself Cobra, ha ha ha!!! You’re to funny Cobra!!!

58. By cardsalltheway on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Cobra,

“indured” is actually spelled “endured.” You should learn to spell before suggesting I have to “read to comprehend”…”Unlike you, I don’t need to read every article on every football site to comprehend this fact.”

2. Dec 6, 2012: Injury situations around the NFL - Page 11
  3. Dec 6, 2012: Kevin Kolb still isn’t healthy » Pro Football Zone
  4. Dec 8, 2012: Today’s Best Arizona Cardinals Ariticles December 7, 2012 | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog
  5. Jul 1, 2013: Juggernaut Index, No. 29: The Buffalo Bills | YO Status ->YO Status ->