Michael Bidwill: No “decision based on emotion”

Posted by Darren Urban on December 10, 2012 – 4:06 pm

Team president Michael Bidwill addressed the situation with the Cardinals and talked briefly about making any personnel changes — the biggest of which, of course, would concern head coach Ken Whisenhunt. Obviously no change is coming today and it certainly doesn’t sound like one would come before end of the season. Bidwill’s comments in full:

“Obviously it’s very disappointing the way it has gone and yesterday’s loss was extremely disappointing,” Bidwill said. “It is unacceptable. It’s one of those things, people inside this building, outside this building, our fans, we are living and dying with each of these losses and it’s extremely hard to watch. I know we can do better.

“I know there is a lot of emotion around yesterday but I don’t intend to make any decision based on emotion. I have been evaluating things all along and expect to continue to do that, and want to have a complete set of facts as I evaluate what went wrong, what went right. And as things move forward I want to make sure we do what is in the best interest of the team and that means getting ready for each game, week in and week out. That means getting ready for the Detroit Lions. That’s what I want everyone to stay focused on, top to bottom.”

Q: Complete set of facts, does that mean Whisenhunt will complete the season as coach?

Bidwill: “I plan to make sure the best thing we can do is focus on week in and week out and not make a decision based on the heat of the moment.”

Q: Once things simmer down …

Bidwill: “I think not making a rushed decision is the right way to go. Having a chance to evaluate away from the week in, week out preparation, what went right, what went wrong.”

Q: Is this a combination of coaching, injuries, mis-evaluation of the quarterbacks?

Bidwill: “When you have lost nine in a row there is aplenty of responsibility to spread around. Obviously injuries have been a factor but even with that, we expected a much different season than what we have got right now.”

Q: Will finances be a factor in your decision?

Bidwill: “Winning football games and staying focused on what wins football games is what we will be staying focused on.”

Q: Will you evaluate this season regardless of what happens the rest of the way?

A: “Yes. I think you look at it, and that’s part of the reason why you step away, so you can look at a complete set of the facts, what went right and what went wrong.”

Tags: ,

95 Responses to “Michael Bidwill: No “decision based on emotion””

1. By jocards on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Q: Do you think that allowing a player to take the field that openly dismissed a directive from the head coach the week before sends the correct message to the team, the coach, the league, etc?

2. By Ben on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Sounds very familiar to what we hear from Whiz after every loss. Need to go back and evaluate the film to see what is working and what isn’t working.

Hope MB makes the decision to let Whiz go Its time.

3. By Brandon Dane Randolph on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Well Said Mr. Bidwill

4. By Rich on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

good mindset. calm and focus. he fires Whiz at year end.

5. By jeffgollin on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Mature and reasoned statement from the owner and spiritual tone-setter, but still leaves all possible options on the table.

As much as I yearn for a heavy dose of red meat (& would understand if he pulled the trigger today), I think Michael’s approach is probably the right way to go.

6. By Carol on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I’d be interested in finding out what Bidwill thinks went right. As a season ticket holder it’s very frustrating especially since we started out the season with four wins.

7. By MIKE G on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren–I think Mike Bidwell is doing the right thing by not making an emotional decision and changing a coach. Everything should be evaluated after the season. Excluding the WR’S The Card’s basically right now on offense dont have hardly any proven NFL talent.Due to injuries and lack of depth they are in this bind. I mean it has to be difficult to evaluate a staff fairly when you are on your 3rd string center???? Darren–Is Scott Wedige gonna start against Detroit??? I mean that is ROUGH!

8. By mal on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Dynosaur-

Hoyer has completed 27 of 43 pass attempts — thats 62%!

Tape Hoyer’s name on the back of a jersay and throw him out there! Put PP in at runningback and line Dockett up at fullback and lets kick some ass! At least it would make the games fun again

9. By tyman on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey guys. just thought I tyman would chime in about the current QB situation. Why pick up Hoyer and not give Vince young a call. The Steelers went batch over Hoyer whitch might give us a hint of how good Hoyer he might not play. But hey at least Whiz is trying hard. He did bring Manning in during the off-season and he has been quick to give a guy a chance to prove himself at QB.
    Myself after watching the ESPN clip of Vince training and fighting for a chance to play, you would think we would bring him in as well to compete and give whiz another option if Hoyer stinks it up.

Heres the link to the Vince young vid.

Id watch it if I were Mr. Bidwill, or any cards fan.

10. By californiadon on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren, speaking as a season seat holder (club level) who travels in from Southern California for games, these last few years have been painful to watch!

This season, even before the start, you could feel the coaching staff not being sure of anything regarding a direction of the QB and O-line positions.

Sadly my investment in cardinal football is a commitment (club level) and many of my tickets this season have been just given away (to local fans) to save me the time, money from flying in to games and the embarrassment on the trip back home.

Maybe one day we will have a coach who can develop his own team that can also win games, a general manager who can pull the plug quickly if it is not working and ownership that knows when enough is enough….

UofP Stadium is a great place to watch games, yet as a fan, we do (at least me) expect our team to win and be competitive for a complete season….

11. By Brad on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Keep in mind Wisenhunt has done something NO OTHER CARDINAL HEAD COACH has done… LEAD THE TEAM TO THE SUPERBOWL!!! Bidwell you made a very wise move hiring Wisenhunt and backing him to hire 20 free agents to build this team. You need to give Wisenhunt a bigger expense account and more decision making power so he can not only keep building this team with A+ talent in the starting positions but also to build the same qualty in the backup postions for strong reliable depth. Please do not be like your father be better and open your THICK WALLET and get the players you need. DO NOT GO BACK TO SQUARE ONE AND START OVER BY FIRING YOUR BEST HEAD COACH THIS ORGANIZATION HAS EVER HIRED! Wisenhunt is NOT the problem it is your failure to provide Wisenhunt with the money required to build and maintain the level of talent that he requires to win consistantly in the NFL!

12. By AndyStandsUp on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Seems like tempered-down coach speak. Didn’t glean any further info other than Bidwill is NOW saying he’s disappointed with the season.
    Was the Q and A Micheal’s decision of making himself available Darren or journalistic digging? You’ve been around long enough to read between the lines; full endorsement or kiss of death IYO?

13. By Will on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Don’t let Whis become the scapegoat, folks. A large part of the blame lies with Rod Graves. The only time he’s had a team with success was when he brought in Warner (who was only supposed to back up golden-boy Leinart, remember?), because he was good enough to cover up an inferior line and (at the time) running game. If Graves were a better talent evaluator/drafter, we might have more to work with on the O-line and at QB. Most of our problems (outside of QB) lie with the O-line and its colossal underachievement. While we’re at it, can Grimm. HoF player is not synonymous with great coach. Mike Miller is about as good at OC as my grandma, who died in 1978. Norv Turner is likely out in SD, bring him in as OC, he’s great as long as he’s not the head guy. If Whis IS made the scapegoat, they’d better hurry up and make Horton the HC before someone steals him away. He can let one of his disciples run his defense.

To sum up: Fire Graves, Grimm, Miller. Keep Whis, or if he must be fired to appease the masses, give HC job to Horton. Hire Turner to run offense.

Take one of the many awesome OTs in this year’s draft, take a QB in round 2-3 or bring in a mid-tier free agent. We should be building from the trenches outward.

14. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Any chance we are picking up anyone else? a back up center? Brandon Jacobs? Brandon may help our running game? wouldn’t hurt it thats for sure!!!

15. By poey386 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

You need to let fritz go!!!He deserves to go to a team thats going to win!!!

16. By cayweb on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I am disappointed with Whisenhunt and Russ Grim.

Why can’t Whisenhunt find us a QB?
    Why can’t a Hall of Fame Lineman coach up our line?

Year after year we have the same issues, bad O-line play, and bad QB play.
    Our lineman seem to get better after leaving the Cardinals.
    Seems like coaching/culture problems in AZ.

I was excited when we got 2 former Steelers coaches, and thought they would bring that winning mentality to the Cards, but our offense has gotten worse, not better. I hope it won’t take us as long to replace Kurt Warner, as it has for Miami to replace Marino.

Ray Horton has done a great job with the D! He will be a Head Coaching candidate next year, maybe we should consider him?

-A long enduring Cardinals fan

17. By Gerald Jones on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Reply to Jocards

If the punitive fine to Dockett was $200,000, what message does that send to the team?

It is a morale breaker to Dockett and everyone in the locker room. Far Too excessive a fine IMO. I think Wisenhunt is now disrespected in the locker room in my opinion. Why should the defense go out and bust their butts for a guy who would dish out such a ridiculous fine as punishment.

I like Whiz, but he has taken very little responsibilty for the failures of this team’s offense. I think his ego needs to be more in line with reality of a losing season.
    I think his ego was the reason Leinart was let go. Didn’t Leinart pay his dues enough for Whiz to stand behind him – guess not. It’s about competition – that’s his way – so what do we get – Derrick Anderson – spare me.

Big Red is not going to win without a dependable,quarterback, and offensive line PERIOD. Evaluation of talent – whose responsibility is that?

Fans should fine Whiz for incompetence and dereliction of duty

Ray Horton for Head Coach for 2013 season.

I don’t think his body CAN heal from such injuries to make him strong enough to survive sacks in the NFL.

18. By fightingbird on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I wrote a few months back that I was for John Skelton being the starter but as I look back it was anyone but Kolb but that thinking was wrong. I admit it.Right now Im not sure what the team can do after watching 9 loses in a row and the team just getting worse and yesterday,wow I would’ve never thought that would have happened.I read today about the team quiting,come on thats bull.I dont think letting coach whisenhunt go will solve this teams problem. Players get paid millions of dollars to play hard and tough to build a reputation of “This TEAM can’t be beat.” Yesterday’s game, showed quitters. It’s shameful! I have been a Cards fan since I was 7 years old (41 years ago) sticking by the team through all of the bad times. But yesterday was something I have never seen in the 41 years of watching the Cards play. What happened to the team that started the season? They were clicking. The defensive line was the best I’ve seen in years. 58 to nothing is soemthing you will remember for the rest of your life. Wish Tim Tebow could be given a shot as QB (from the wife).

19. By Michael Lennon on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Bidwell, if you had to force rank these two areas which would be ranked first? Being a profitable organization or winning football games? Why don’t your own behaviors reflect that if it is winning games? It easy to point the finger at others when things go south yet we don’t take responsibility of our own actions. You have let down the fans that have supported your organization. Explain to the Cardinal fans why they should continue to support the organization.

20. By philly cards 1994- on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

He sounds like he’s fired to me. But there’s something stopping him right now. That last question
    “Will you evaluate the season regardless?..”
    Should have been

” what do you mean you’ve been evaluating? Do you have a short list? Are you close to a change?”

It probably gains nothing to fire him today when he should have done it after 5-11. That’s an emotional decision not two long years later.

21. By Supercardinals100 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Breaking news!!!! The whiz just said ” i have been evaluting things and the quarterback for this week will be zastadil our punter and he is going to punt it to our recievers and hopefully he can get the ball to fitz more then our other qbs and larod Stephens howling will replace him as punter and we will continue to evaluate things as the weeks go on and if a opportunity comes up to blame the receivers for runnin the earring route I will take it oh and also I think we are getting close now to win games thanks guys”

22. By redbirdman on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

MB’s response was measured and calculated, which is understandable.

I have no doubts that he’ll conduct a major house cleaning come Janaury. This team, they way it played yesterday, Dockett’s feelings – stating that he’d continued to play hard for Horton but would only offer a “no comment” when it came to Whisenhunt.

I’ve followed this team for 50 years and this is the absolute worst I’ve seen from them. It so obvious that Whiz is incappable or unwilling to admit his mistakes or make those changes necessary to ensure success. In other words, he suffers from “smartest man in the room” syndrome.

Let’s hope that when MB cleans house he also throws out Rod Graves. He’s as much responsible for our failures as Whiz.

23. By George on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Fire Whiz and he has a job within 2-3 days. Who out there is better? Whiz is not the problem, Cambell has to go, Grimm has to go, but mostly Rod Graves and half the scouting department have to go

24. By Heff on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

It would be refreshing to see someone involved in the team show some emotion. Why not Mr. Bidwell. Please someone show some emotion. This is not a time for cool heads to prevail. This is a time to rip someone’s head off and let everyone know their jobs are on the line. Mike Miller, 3 QB’s and a few offensive linemen should be escorted out of the building, period

25. By "Whiz n Punt-goodbye" on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Yeah don’t bring in a guy who knows The Lame a@$ Whiz system (Bartel), lets bring in someone fresh off the waiver wire. Genius move Cards. Maybe Buddt Ryan can come back and coach if he is still alive

26. By D.R. Cards Fan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Ben, very cookie cutter answers.

M.B. needs to step in and make some sort of decision for this team. If firing Whiz is not currently on the table, then what. That is the difference between winning organizations and losing ones. First thing this morning ESPN reported that the Ravens fired their offensive coordinator because they felt the offense wasn’t performing to their standards. This is a team that has won 9 games so far this season, are definately going to the playoffs,and people are getting fired because they are the weak link on the team and they want to get better. I really believe M.B. wants to build a winner in AZ but it doesnt seem like hes ready to step in and make the tough decisions yet. Unfortunately, until he is ready to step in and make some big decisions for his team, we will continue to be a losing organization.

27. By lg on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

i said it yesterday that the team did not want to play for whiz dockett said he will play hard for horton and his team mates but that’s about it.

28. By Andy Kw on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I bet you that the defense can play offense better than our current offense. With Darnell Dockett the RG, Calais Campbell RT, Dan Williams C, Nick Eason LG, Vonnie Holliday LT. WR would be Patrick Peterson, Adrian Wilson, Kerry Rhodes, and William Gay. RB would be Sam Acho and Paris Lenon. Daryl Washington and O’Brien Schofield would be Tight End.

29. By Patrick on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

If he keeps Whisenhunt, he will confirm that the Bidwell’s can “squeeze a quarter until the Eagle screems.”

30. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

This past weekend will be known as ” Slaughter in Seattle” I hope they burn this footage but then maybe they should play it in the locker room before every game so we remember this feeling and never want to have this kind of game ever again!!!!

31. By Patrick on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Did the coaches communicate that laying down was just for the one play in New York and not a standing directive?

32. By Larry on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren–

I know you do this for a living and are somewhat “in the know” but how did you not see Whisenhunt getting canned? You said several times that you didn’t think
    he would be fired? Yet, its obvious that he’s done.

33. By Patrick on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

When you are completely lost and do not know what to do, check the Steeler’s waiver wire. Welcome Hoyer.

34. By Matt W. on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I, myself am very sad and disapointed about the last 9 games. Injuries have played a very big role with the performance of the TEAM. I cant really blame it on the players all the way. Your coaching staf has to beable to reconize which players will fit in the coaching program and also be able to change their coaching style to some degree to help some players beable to do what they can best. Case in point look at RG3.If Mike Shanahan wouldn’t let RG3 play his style and had to be a conventional QB, they probaly wouldn’t have won 1 game this year. If I were the owner, I would not be looking at Mr. Whisenhunt BUT more at Russ Grimm,the offensive cordinator,and especialy the QB coach. Whisenhunt showed he can coach and has taken us to the Super Bowl, things just are not clicking in the 3 other offensive coaching positions. Another QB is a must!!! Kolb is ok but is so injury prone. I guess Skelton doesnt want to play for us so bye bye. Alex Smith would be nice or maybe Matt Flynn. Im sure they dont want to be 2nd string QB’s. COME ON TEAM LETS WIN OUT THE LAST 3 GAMES and put the haters and doubters to rest. GO CARDINALS

35. By johnnybluenose on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

so, we have signed quarterback brian hoyer. hoyer, who was not drafted and who spent a couple of years as tom brady’s back-up and who rarely played. and who was so highly thought of by the patriots that they went out and drafted another quarterback to back-up brady. and who, when released by the patriots in august was so highly valued by the other 31 teams in the league that none of them signed him. and who only got back into the league because pittsburgh’s top two quarterbacks were unable to dress due to injury. and who was released as soon as big ben was healthy again. and now he is a cardinal. maybe this works. maybe he is better than both skelton and lindley. hard to imagine that he can be any worse. surely he learned something from brady and belichick while he was a patriot. i would really feel good about this signing if it was revealed that hoyer was recently employed as a grocery clerk, stocking shelves on the night shift while dreaming of someday winning the super bowl. now, that would make a good story if it wasn’t so unbelievable.

36. By Dre on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Good answer mr. B . But at the end of the year I would expect Kenny get axes. I would like to see ray stay and his staff. I would like to bring Andy Reed in and take over for Ken if he would take the job kolb here he know his offense all ready and it’s a quick read offense so the bad o line we have should be ok.

37. By Brian on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Do not agree with Bidwills decision at all. Wiz is a dud and so is the decision making of ownership. You have to make a statement that things MUST change. Immediately. Talk of KW getting fired is old and after getting absolutely embarrassed in Seattle, the talk should be over. With all the money spent to keep Fitz locked up in AZ for the rest of his career, at least get him a qb and a coach to get him the ball. Lousy choice of a head coach. Lousy choice in qb selection. Lousy ownership decisions. Over and over.

38. By donttakelosses on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

The key facts include these:
    1. The Cardinals have the longest 2012 losing streak in the NFC West, but also the longest winning streak;
    2. The Cardinals have a Super Bowl coach;
    3. The Cardinals along with Eagles have the most beaten up OL in the league;
    4. The Cardinals were 4-1 in games Kolb was the predominant QB;

Whiz returns is a solid bet.

39. By Patrick Eagan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

don’t fire whiz!

40. By KC on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Man, we just got beat down, bad! Getting laughed at by the Fox crew at halftime stung quite at bit, but I guess I can’t blame ‘em. Cards owners, as business people, you have failed to give us a good product. How about actually making some good business decisions on even a near consistent basis? Luckily for you, your fans still buy your crappy product based on emotional decisions and a love for the team. If we could fire you guys based on an emotional or even a business decision, it would have already been done many times over. I’m forced to put some trust in Michael on this one. Get it done, Mike! Let’s go Cards!!! Keep fightin’!

41. By Richard Buroker on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

We need to keep Whiz very badley. Stop clowning around and get a quarterback, that’s all this team really needs.

42. By Tom Foss on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Dear Mr. Bidwell: With all doe respect your answer to these questions are ridiculous. If not now, when? How can you not have enough information over the last three years to evaluate (your words, not mine) and realize for more reasons then there is room to write to part ways with Coach Wisenhunt? You have done a lot over the last nine years to show that you are not going to follow in your father’s footsteps and the utter failure of this franchise to be anything but an embarrassment since you arrived in AZ in 1988 and through the 90’s. However, your decision to continue to move forward with Mr. Wisenhunt and say your focus on the Lions is your main priority and a cop out! You should be more focused on the future of this franchise and what season ticket holders like myself are going to do next year and the years to come when it is looking like your going back to the “Same old Cardinals”

43. By Campbells on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

It’s actually easier to tolerate the play on the field, than to stomach the actions of the leadership. I wasn’t furious after Sunday’s disaster, I expected it.
    What makes me furious is hearing Mike Bidwell defending sitting on his hands, after all that’s happened this year. By the time he decides to make a change, all the top coaching prospects will be on other teams. This is exactly the pathetic management this team is known for.
    As for acquiring a scrub QB that nobody else wants, only the Cards would go there with 3-games left. Last year we could’ve drafted a quality QB. This year WE NEED TO DRAFT THE BEST AVAILABLE!!!
    From top to bottom, management is the worst of the worst!

44. By Dean Kennedy on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Here’s a fact: Rod Graves has been around for a long time with a record of failure. Hopefully Mikey finds that fact in front of him and responds accordingly.

45. By Dean Kennedy on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

What is it about the name Bidwill that renders so many people unable to spell it correctly? Two syllables, seven letters, seems pretty simple to me.

46. By Kevin S on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Carol —

Your point about how we started with four wins makes me wonder how fans would feel about this season if we were 4-9 but had arrived there differently. For example, it certainly looked like we were headed for a loss in the opener vs. SEA based on our lack of offense in the 2nd half, before Skelton hurt his ankle allowing Kolb to come in. Now I’m not saying Skelton couldn’t have led the team to a win, but let’s say he never got hurt, and we lost that game. (We were underdogs going in.) No one gave us a chance to win at NE. We were also underdogs to the Eagles who were 2-0 at the time and a trendy preseason SB pick before they imploded. Again, no one would’ve been surprised if we lost that game, so we could easily have been 0-3 — in fact, based on the Vegas lines in those games, you could argue it was expected.

If we had started 0-3, everyone would’ve written off the playoffs from the beginning. 4-9 would mean going 4-6 since then… assume for sake of arguments, wins at home vs, MIA, BUF, and STL game and on the road in the NYJ game. No one would be too surprised, given the improvement in the Vikings, Seahawks and Rams, losing @MIN, @GB, @ATL, @SEA, @STL, nor would it be shocking to lose to SF at home. That would put us at 4-9 now, but getting there after an 0-3 start, most fans would not be livid the way they are now. Surely there’d be those calling for Whiz’s head, but not nearly as many. Who knows if/when we would have made the switch from Skelton to Kolb if Skelton had never been hurt in the opener.

As bad as the Cardinals are — and I definitely think Whiz shares blame for some poor decisions (yanking Skelton after only 7 passes vs. ATL but stubbornly sticking with Lindley vs. NYJ when even a mediocre QB performance wins the game) — I keep coming back to the fact that the Vegas O/U line on this team was 6 1/2 or 7 wins (depending on which book you were looking at). We weren’t expected to be good. As opposed to, say, the Eagles whose O/U was 10, but are 4-9 like us. Clearly a bigger disappointment than we are.

47. By Supercardinals100 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren

When you post up the new comments do you have a specific time or is it random times ?

48. By Credit Card on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Costas: “Call it as you may, most embarassing for the league, a first in team sport”
    Aikman: ” I say it is spot-on for this sorry organization”
    Costas: “The Chicago Cardinals are a traditional name, one of the league’s original franchise, a piece of Amercian history”
    Long: “It is fitting — cannot argue with their direction”
    Strahan: ” I think it’ll bring out the fans, everyone wants to see a freak show”
    Bradshaw: ” I would buy one of their jerserys, it’ll make my beautiful hair grow back”
    Costas: A new low for an already dreadful organization… well fans here we go, the Arizona Pinatas are taking the field in their colorful rainbow uniforms”
    Bradshaw: Wow the coaches are even wearing clown costumes!

49. By Dynosoar on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Mal,

I like the way you think.

50. By scott023 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

This is a no brainer. Nine in a row!! Based on Emotion? Wait untill the end of the year? Be calm?? Did anybody see Fitz’s face? This team is beyond emotion, they are lost and know there is no leadership, no respect left. They need a leader, and you want clam? This team has never ever been this low,ever! When he is rewarded by staying head coach of not only nine straight losses, but the biggest beating in the history of the team. You are spitting in the face of the fans and players.Some of The players are some of the best talent in the game. All with no leadership, Mr. Bidwell we trusted you. Look at Dockett, he never lay’s down and was punished for that . If I was a cardinal player I would want to be releasted from my contract asap. We all know why coach whiz put miller as the o.c. with little experience, said he would help. He knew miller was a fall guy, he always has someone else to blame. A true leader stands up and takes the blame. The buck stops their.

51. By Campbells on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Some people defend Whiz by saying how good has been. When was he so good? The year we went to the Superbowl, we barely won the division. Record barely above .500
    The next season was pretty much the same. Every other season .500 or below. We must not expect much here, if .500 is a good season.
    Other teams win 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, and 11 games periodically.
    We don’t need an organization that can win most of the time???

52. By David E. Sides on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

It’s time for a full blown fire sale !

53. By David E. Sides on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been a Cardinal Fan for over 40 years,that crap Sunday takes the cake! Just want to say thank-you to the team for another hideous year! I’ve seen a lot less talented Cardinal teams play a hell of a lot better!

54. By dieselbomb on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Dynosaur-

Hoyer has completed 27 of 43 pass attempts — thats 62%!

= = = = =

I was thinking of Dan Williams as Tailback … especially in 3rd-and-short yardage.

Beanie Wells is a huge disappointment. Kolb and Wells are made of the same stuff – all easily breakable stuff ( too breakable! ).

Bench Wells and use Williams for a good 15 plays or more ( if he proves as successful as I think he could be ).

55. By Ne1better on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Getting rid of the coach does nothing to fix the issues on the offensive side of the ball. Focus on fixing those and how talent coming onto the team is being evaluated. Dockett’s unprofessional behavior is just his way of trying to get off the team. Don’t let him off unless you can trade him for some o’line help.

56. By Cactus Jeff on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Enough with Dockett bashing. They are playing him out of position….best years of his career are gone, wasted….you are worried about Fitz wasting his career with crappy QBs, well I agree, but Dockett is getting screwed too and it boiled over….give him a break!

Cards have 3 game changers….Dockett, Calais, and Fitz. No more addition by subtraction. Get rid of Whiz and find a GM.

57. By georgiebird on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Michael Bidwill wants to give Whiz an end of the season evaluation. Whiz can say no quality QB, injuries on offense, bad breaks and maybe that gives Whiz another year.
    Now let’s evaluate John Skelton:
    1) Bad offensive line
    2) no running game
    3) no offensive team speed
    4) dropped passes
    5) difficult games played @ Minn, @GB, @Sea and home to SF
    6) playing from behind against quality teams mostly on the road
    7) Skelton is 24 years old and still learning under difficult conditions
    If someone wants to listen to all the excuses and the rationalizations for Whiz and Skelton, there is no doubt that Skelton should return way before Whiz.

58. By kardnullfan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Well said by Michael Bidwill. Next, commit the whole organization to controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, which is something this team has never considered a priority. Even this year’s good defense can’t stop the run, and we haven’t run the ball effectively since Joe Bugel was here, and even then it was nothing special. Run the ball, stop the run, stay in the game–or you could instantly develop a HOF-caliber quarterback–both will work–which sounds easier to accomplish?

59. By Chuck 1 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

More random thoughts:
    • I would be shocked if Michael fires Graves or Keim Whiz and his coaching staff? That’s a different matter.
    • If Whiz has, in fact, had the final say about who to draft and which FAs to sign, then he does need to be fired.
    • If Graves made those final decisions, he needs to be fired, along with Keim, who should be responsible for providing scouting info on draftees and FAs.
    But, I think we all understand that Michael will NOT fire Graves.
    • If Graves, Keim and Whiz are still with the Cards for the draft and FA period, don’t look for any improvement in who they draft or sign as FAs e.g. they will draft BPA, NOT FOR NEED.
    • No matter who they draft and sign as FAs, it will take a few years for the Cards to be competitive, especially in the NFC West.
    • It would be foolish for the Cards to hire Horton to replace Whiz. He’s not ready.
    • It would be useless to sign a QB at this stage of the season or to play Kolb, who might be further injured.
    • Sign an experienced QB before next season and let Kolb and him battle it out in Training Camp and Preseason.

60. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE:Between lines

Sorry. That’s why I posted the Q and A. To let you decide what you think.

61. By pacardfan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I understand the reasoning of Mr. B., but with Cam C. being let go from B-More, do you think the Cards. may look at him at all?

Wishful thinking: Cards go after Alex Smith (I don’t see the 49ers keeping him), or the Joe Flaco (doudt the Ravens don’t work out a long term deal or tag him..so most likely not an opt.), and Jake Long (if the Dolphins can’t resign him). These guys I think would make a huge impact on the Cards. if they are avb. and the Cards get go for them. I can also see Wes Welker being out there. NE has been using their other slot WR (can’t think of his name),more, and I can see them letting him go. IF so, Fitz. with Welker and either Roberts or Flyod…damn, that sounds good. Let Kolb go….he looked ok but he is too injured prone and same with Beanie….Let Powell and Hyphen back up Williams, and go get a RB in FA or late draft. IF Arron Murray of GA enters the draft, def. get him!!!! Just some thoughts and wishful thinking:)

62. By KurtFan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Ray Horton to Head Coach. Done deal.

Open up the checkbook and bring Kurt Warner back into the organization, probably as your offensive coordinator.

Get rid of Kolb and Skelton. And find a Quarterback that has an idea of what he is doing and how to win games. Don’t draft a rookie and put him in the reins. Guys like Luck and RG3 don’t come out every season.

63. By pacardfan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Forgot to add……those who want A-Dub gone…..what are you thinking? A-Dub is one of the best leaders the Cards have and can still out play many. However, I kinda wonder at times how he would be as a LB. A-Dub has taken less money to stay true to the team, the fans, and himself. More people are needed like that. Pride can get you far in life and the deciation of guys lke A-Dub, Dockett, and Fitz. are much well needed. THose who bash Dockett b/c of his disagreement of the coaches decision, are also ones who are bashing the coaches themselves. Why bash a guy who plays his heart out and takes pride in doing what he does? It wasn’t like the Cards really had a shot at tieing against the JETs…I mean, I was there, did you see how the OFF. looked? You really think the Jets would score anyway? The pushiment on Dockett was overrated and sounds more likes someone elses pride was hurt so they wanted to prove who’s boss. (Like none of us regular Joes ever disagree with our bosses….come on)

64. By AZfan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Wiz is not the problem. Per ESPN at the beginning of the season, he was the winningest coach in the NFL. WE NEED A QB!! Bidwell could have gotten Manning, yet they threw that away for Kolb. We have a great defense, and some good offense, but no QB. It is easy to blame Wiz, but he needs a complete team to work with. Poor Fitzy is a great player yet his talent is wasted once again for lack of a QB. Spend some money, get a QB and the team will rally once again. We did make it to the superbowl and these players are hungery to suceed again.

65. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Supercardinals —

RE: Comment approvals

Random, whenever I can get to it.

66. By mike on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

6 years of wizz and not much to show for it Time for the GM and the couches to move on taking the scotting core with them. Washington, Cambell are the only good picks during these years. Green had better picks.
    Looking at seattle and SF new couches and wining records. Better couches better payers, better seasons.

67. By Jon on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Why haven’t the Cardinals brought back Rich Bartel?

68. By Sabot on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Fire Whiz and lose 4 season ticket holders immediately. Lose the rest later…

Good teams dont replace coaches that have had successs with “new” coaches. The Steelers dont do it. The Pats dont. The Packers are consistent in coaching, as are the Ravens. When you end up playing your 3rd string QB, your 3rd string HBs and have rookie tackles (2 mind you!), you will suck.

Whiz has been rock solid and has done more with what he was given than many could have guessed. If the Bidwells make the mistake of firing him, he will be unemployed for HOURS.

Fans who call for his head are uninformed (I used that word so that Darren Urban would not edit my post. Again).

P.S. any swear words added to this post were done so by Darren Urban.

69. By adrianamifsud123 on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

don’t fire Whiz get rid of offensive coaches and rod graves!! put more money out for a vet QB!! poor Larry he is wasting his career!!! im season ticket holder for 12 yrs and not sure at all if im coming back!

70. By Sabot on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

One more thing…

Georgiebird, normally I disagree with 110% of what you say, but your last post was good. Thanks for that!

71. By pacardfan on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

sorry to bother you again, but is there any reason why the Cards. signed Hoyer and not Vince Young? Vince, yes had off field issues, but he was a winner and can help. Poss. into the future. With guys like Fitz., Dockett, and A-Dub, Vince’s off field issues can be a distant memory(maybe being away this long has helped him mature too). Worth a shot, so y not….nothing to lose.

72. By Darren Urban on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Jon —

RE: Bartel

They must feel they were ready to move on from Bartel.

73. By philly cards 1994- on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

I think that if horton was ready his defense would have stayed together. But the problem is deeper than horton. He’s a newer coach.that’s why you don’t make the switch now because your putting horton in to fail.

And larrys dad confirms mutiny!

So you re-hire the old gm bob mccamon to come in week 17 and give whiz the finger.and take this time before hand to get your options together.

Gruden or Bruce arians.

Docket may have gotten himself traded the az cardinals are about character at the very least

74. By T. Stone on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

The football world is buzzing about our Arizona Cardinals. In a bad way. To those of you that think that it’s the Bidwill’s fault, it is not. I have sat though the games in Sun Devil stadium, and most of those years I couldn’t GIVE away a ticket to a drunken college kid. I see national talk about the Cardinals being a cheap organization, they are not.
    The Bidwill’s stopped being cheap and got smart around the time Larry Centers left. My 14 year old son asked me if this was the worst Cardinal loss ever and I said no. I have seen so many that I don’t rank this up near the top. It was a blowout and the team quit on the coach. The team sent a message to the Coach and that was it. Rod Graves and Ken Whisenhunt? See ya later, thanks for the memories.
    To the Bidwill’s. Thanks for sticking it out in Phoenix after you were lied to, being forced to play in a college stadium for years and suffering the ignorance of the Arizona media and most that work in it. Bad year for sure.

75. By chad on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

2 RB’s hurt Wells, Williams sense losing started
    TE Hurt Heap sense loosing started Also King missed weeks 4 – 8
    Both starting OT’s hurt and we are on are the third Center
    Skeleton Hurt week one came back to 6 missing players
    Kolb bared the the learning curve of the worse O-line ever and did OK
    New offensive coordinator that Wiz gambled on

Are D-fence is ranked in the top ten right now…
    We are getting Levi and Sendlin back
    All are key D-fence is coming back
    We have good WR’s
    We will have a good draft pick
    If we give Kolb over 3 sec. to through he can be average or better
    Wiz is a good coach

Only Staff Changes should be
    Offensive coordinator watch (Norve Turner or Cam Cameron)
    Re-structure Wiz’s Contract to three years 7 mil a year, third year as a club option. This only add’s one year on his contract WE have a club option for 2014 now
    I don’t think Horton is ready to be a Head Coach, I think he will be here next year

Free Agent Need
    LT (Branden Albert, Jermon Bushrod or Jack Long) Put Levi back at RT let Massey compete with Snyder for RG I think we could have a good O-line with one addition

Draft Needs
    OLB, ILB (only if Lenon leaves), Speed RB, Power RB, TE

76. By chad on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Head Coaching Change is a set back

77. By Heff on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Cards are jockying for a high draft pick, it worked for the Colts. How bad can you be without loosing respect. They already lie about selling out the stadium every home game since opening. I can’t sell tickets for games I can’t get to for 1/2 price and the value is dropping and somehow the Cardinals sell out every game, with a lie like that how much respect do they deserve anyway. Don’t worry about respect from season ticket holders Mr. Bidwill you don’t deserve any, won’t get any and if things don’t change soon the cash will be following the respect out of the building.

78. By Cert 33 on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Bidwell is a bit slow, I think. Jeff Fisher was available for a couple of years, but I guess a proven long term winner is not his style. He prefers a coach with no experience that rode an aging QB’s red-hot arm into the playoffs and then took credit for it. I do admire Whisenhunt’s “character matters” stance when it comes to players. That is why there are no Matt Leinarts, Terrell Owens and/or Vince Youngs on the Cards. But that is where the positive comments end from me.

79. By jocards on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

@ Gerald Jones –

Let me ask you the same question I asked of Darren and others. Do you think if a player had openly disregarded an instruction from Bill Belichick that he would’ve played the next week? Do you think he’d still even be a member of the New England Patriots? I can almost guarantee he wouldn’t. In my opinion it makes no difference what one thinks of the job Whisenhunt has done or whether or not you happen to agree with the strategy he was trying to put into effect, you simply can’t allow players to disregard what the head coach instructs. I honestly think that this sort of thing plays a role in why this organization is looked at as being second class, why we have so much difficulty attracting top free agents and why guys just generally would prefer to play elsewhere…..The organization is viewed as having no clear direction, no solid leadership off the field and has no foundation from which to sustain success. If a player in New England, Pittsburgh, SF, St. Louis or any number of other cities had disobeyed orders from the head coach they would’ve been suspended……In your view fining Dockett was a morale buster? I wonder if allowing a player back on the field the very next week after he openly defied the head coach and confronted teammates on the field had a negative impact on morale….clearly there is no control at the top. Look, I like Dockett as a player. However winning organizations do not tolerate this sort of behavior at all. I not necessarily saying he should be run out of town but a suspension would have been appropriate IMO.

80. By Blair on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Did you notice all your example teams are good year in and out? If any of those teams had three seasons in a row like the cardinals have their coach would be gone, no doubt about it.

81. By jdcrow59 on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

For all the” In Whiz we trust” crowd our there, what is it that I am missing . Yes we went to a super bowl. How many of Whiz,s draft picks were starters on that team? What has he and his staff accomplished since that run? I see complete confusion at the qb position, I see weak offinsive game plans with no ability to make adjustments as the game moves on, I see blame placed on everyone else and none on themselves. I see teams with rookie qb’s and new coaching staffs having success. I see teams with competent back-ups having success following injuries to starters. And then I see 58-0. Now seriously folks, How ready to play did Whiz have his team for that one. Again, what am I misssing?

82. By Gary on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

If we have to replace the head couch and I am not saying that we have to, I would hope that we could hire someone like Gruden and not one of the retreads that will be fired this year. Also having been a season ticket holder since the Cardinals came to Arizona we have not been able to build an offensive line with the couching of Bugel, Green or Grimm. Why don’t we hire a collage offensive line couch from Wisconsin, Ohio State or any of the great running schools and let them build one for us???

83. By jocards on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

@ Blair –

If you were replying to me…and I apologize if you were not, that is exactly my point. Good, winning organizations do not tolerate insubordination from their players. Whether or not coach Whisenhunt should still have his job is irrelevant as it relates to this issue. Again, if you were replying to somebody else I apologize.

84. By Chuck 1 on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

By Gerald Jones on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

…Kolb – IMO for the sake of his life – I don’t think he should play football again.

My comment: Right on, Gerald.
    When I read that Kolb’s ribs were healing behind his sternum, that set off alarm bells. I agree that, when he is sacked again, his ribs might puncture his lungs.

85. By CJ on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

Jocards, correct me if I’m wrong, but after Dockett was told to lie down for a play, and he vehemently objected, didn’t he ask to be replaced on the field for that play? Here’s the problem with your viewpoint as I see it: The coaching staff not only made a judgment call that he had a principled disagreement with, but they made him participate in it against his will. They could easily have sat him for a play, and let him not be part of something he felt was an abomination, while running the “play” they wanted to run.

Dockett has a competitive streak a mile wide. That is something you should want to encourage, not squelch. The coaching staff handled that in the worst possible way, both at the time and afterward — that is, if team chemistry and cohesion is important to you at all.

86. By Glen on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

My comment may be a little long but this team is really built the same as it was 2 years ago and the blame then was on Derek Anderson. No significant improvement with the O line, WR corps, RB or D line. There has been some garland added to the secondary but it wasn’t nearly enough. You went and got Kolb for Larry, then this year he wanted Peyton. That didn”t work so well. You build a team from your O and D lines then back without that your QB gets killed your DB’s get burned then you end up with guys fighting and quiting. It is really sad to become the laughing stock of a division. you can”t lay the blame of the seahawk game on Skelton he gets killed every week. Wiz may be a good coordinator but not a head coach or evaluator of talent.
    You had Kurt Warner and he masked all the flaws when he left you lost your O coordinator because he was. The defense was not good then and right now not good again. on top of it all there is no depth. Money has to be spent the right way in order to turn things around.

87. By Glen on Dec 11, 2012 | Reply

This is a response to all who think Whiz isn”t a big part of the problem. He with the GM select the players that will fit his system, whatever that is. Here is what you have, no run game, an o line that can’t pass protect and a QB pick any of them who gets knocked out of the game about every 3rd week. Now go back to my first statement who puts these guys in place Whiz. I agree with many of you though insubordination guys should be gone. Ask Tom Coughlin how much BS he tolerates his players will tell ya first NONE.

88. By ibleedred on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Dear Michael Bidwell,

Please for the love of the team fire Whiz and Graves after this season. And please do not allow the next head coach to continually bring in “his players” from “his old team” they’ve turned the Cardinals into the burnout retread Steelers Retirement Home.

There is a reason the Steelers let all these guys go. Whiz and Graves are not smarter than them. But the loyal fans here sure hope you are smarter than Whiz & Graves.

89. By Joe on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

This is more of a dumpster fire than an NFL team

90. By CMePlay on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Keep Whiz only if we want to be assured of a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft pick every year.

91. By mike on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

wiz is 44 wins to 49 losses that is not a winning coach. He’s not even a 500 so it’s not surprising the team isn’t either, he must lead my example. :) six years and nothing gets better. 3 coachs now for graves and nothing getting better he has to go now.
    SF couch has only lost 6 games in two years. took a QB everyone before him gave up on and made him super star. Now his 2nd string QB is playing like a super star.
    Seahags take a rookie from third round and made him a super star (why didn’t we draft him. same reason we got brown and not peterson.) college coachs ar out playing wizz and his staff.

92. By Fan on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Stopped watching the Fox Jokers when they were trashing the Cardinals every Sunday during their Super Bowl run. Now, I can’t stomach this horrendous losing streak anymore so selling my tickets for the last two home games this year. Bidwell will have to make a lot of changes for me to renew my season tickets next year. Counting down the days until pitchers and catchers report. Bad year for the NHL to be on strike. At least the Yotes could have eased my Cardinals pain. Now I’ll have to wait for Spring Training to get this awful taste out of my mouth.

93. By Yea, right on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

It’s Whiz, players, Grimm etc, etc. Wake up fans and don’t be mislead by their PR machine. The one and only constant is the Bidwells be in Chicago, St. Louis or Arizona. As one of the original NFL franchises, they have stunk since 1898.

Why/When/Where do you expect to see changes?

94. By doc361 on Jan 1, 2013 | Reply

Do the Bidwills still charge their players for new cleats and lunches on practice days? Do you still need a justification to get a new pair of tube socks?

Exactly how insulted was Kurt Warner by the paltry offer he was given? Obviously it was enough for him to retire.

Will you be trading or releasing players that showed even the slightest amount of improvement this year?

When exactly will visiting University of Phoenix Stadium feel like an actual home game for the Cards? Every time I’ve gone there have been more opposing team jerseys than Card jerseys.

No, the Bidwills have not stopped being cheap. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree and if they really care about winning they will be making some serious moves this off season to include a new QB.

2. Dec 11, 2012: 12/11 Arizona Cardinals news: Ken Whisenhunt’s job, Adrian Wilson and Darnell Dockett FEATURED NEWS ARTICLE | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog