Sunday in the rear view; Lindley back as starter

Posted by Darren Urban on December 12, 2012 – 2:56 pm

The other day defensive tackle Nick Eason was saying that, in the aftermath of the Cards’ 58-0 loss in Seattle, that the players were simply going to go back to work. “That’s all we can do,” Eason said, noting that they were football players, and this was just another week of football.

So the reaction Wednesday coming off what in some ways was a historic loss was just like the Cards have done every Wednesday after their other losses. And their wins, for that matter.

“It was a typical practice,” defensive end Calais Campbell said. “We were flying around. Same as it has been all season.”

Quarterback Ryan Lindley noted “you try to forget about (Sunday) as quick as possible.” “We did some things all right (today),” Lindley said. “Wednesday is always an up and down day because you are putting new stuff in. (Thursday) will be better.”

The message wasn’t going to change much. There are guys banged up — wide receiver Early Doucet suffered a concussion, and the Cards could use nose tackle Dan Williams given their woes stopping the run, but Williams was also sitting out with his bad hamstring — yet that isn’t going to stop the schedule and the three games left.

“I don’t think anybody was happy,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said after practice. “They’re all upset about what happened. They worked well today. Came back out here and had good energy. That’s a painful thing to go through and we went through and looked at why that happened, tried to correct those things, and worked on correcting them today. That’s all you can do.”

– Whisenhunt named Lindley his starter for Sunday’s game. Not a surprise, since Lindley finished the game and John Skelton had five turnovers in his brief chance to start again.

– Whiz said it is wait-and-see for new QB Brian Hoyer. I don’t see how he’d play this week. Beyond that? Let’s see how Lindley fares, but I will not be shocked to see Hoyer get a start down the stretch.

– QB Kevin Kolb wants to be back next season. He hasn’t had any discussions about his contract, which would need to be restructured, I’m sure. He said his “heart and soul” are with the Cardinals.

Tags: , , , , , ,

62 Responses to “Sunday in the rear view; Lindley back as starter”

1. By Scuba steve on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

I shall buy a kolb jersey and wear it proudly if kolb does whatever it takes to come back next year

2. By Dean Kennedy on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Cardinal quarterbacks are like a box o’ chocolates…. you never know which one you’re gonna get.

Derp, derp, derp, and on and on it goes, this thing of ours.

3. By Nick on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

His heart and soul are with the Cards? So are his lost memories, hurt toe, and detached ribs.

4. By donttakelosses on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren: The Cards aren’t likely to quit on Kolb, especially for $$. He performed the best of any QB in a Cards uniform since 13. No need to restructure, he’s getting what starting QBs get, nothing more. If Hoyer can prove to manage a game without the INTs and fumbles (like Kolb) then we just could be back in bid’ness. I still recall that snow game in NE… and our game there earlier this year. we’ll be baaack.

Any intel on Hoyer? Wonder what the OC in Pittsburgh had to say? ;)

Go Cards.

5. By Tom on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Re: Kolb, restructure the deal to give him around the same money total, but back end the majority of the money. By my determination, there’s still $41 mil left on the deal and it’s structured like this:

2013 $9 mil salary, $2 mil roster bonus
    2014-2016 $10 mil per.

Redo it something like this:

2013 & 2014 $5-6 mil salary, $2 mil roster bonus each year
    2015 $12 mil salary
    2016 $13 mil salary

Same amount of money, the additional bonus is incentive for him to redo his deal in the first place, and he’ll either be a star QB by 2015 or never see the 2015+ salary.

Can’t think he’d get a better deal than that on the FA market at this point. Meanwhile, draft a QB high next season to compete with him and either keep Lindley around or find another 3rd QB late in the draft.

6. By erik on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Clean out the offensive staff this off season, including Whiz.

I don’t really have a sound argument, but my thinking is this:
    Football exists only for our entertainment. I LOVE this team, but at the end of the day, my life will remain the same whether they lose every game or win every game.
    Bringing in a whole new coaching staff will be exciting and fill me with optimism. But I guess I’m optimistic every year.
    Long story short, try something new. The fans will feel good about it and it will be entertaining. I don’t really care if Whiz is “the guy” long term, it’s not like our lives will drastically be altered based on who is the head coach.
    People say, “Don’t change for changes sake”

But I say, ” What the Hell”.

7. By Mark on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

I for one and glad to see them put Kolb on injured reserve. He was wasting a spot for a healthy player. What ever they are doing in practice they need to bring to the darn field. I think the Cards need to fire Whiz and his entire staff, make the Defensive coach our new head coach since he will probably leave anyway if they don’t, trade Dockett who is a cry baby washout since he got “paid”, trade Wilson, he is past his prime, trade Wells, he has never been a good or healthy back, and package maybe Floyd or Roberts and get some offensive linemen and a new VETERAN QB.

8. By ATXCARDSFAN on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Alex Smith Please!!!!! Kolb restructres and play Backup!
    Hopefully someone important reads this!
    Fitz…Thank You for being a Class Act!

9. By Dean Kennedy on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

To erik: From my perspective, the bigggest offense this mess of a team commits is that it is BORING. As a season ticket holder for 18 years my bona fides as a viewer of lots and lots of bad football are clearly established. But within those years of bad football are some teams that, while crappy, were still entertaining and competitive from time to time. Heck, even the horrible 2003 team was generally competitive at home and strung it together enough to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs in the last game. This dysfunctional mess can be taken out back and shot for the day once the opponent opens up a 7 point lead. It’s unwatchable garbage. And that, folks, ain’t entertaining.

10. By Dean Kennedy on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

To Mark: I get your point about Kolb taking up a roster spot, but he at least mattered. The Grim Heaper stayed on the roster for 9 or 10 weeks while being “questionable” the whole time. That’s the one I never figured out.

11. By rdixon50 on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Dockett has actually been grading out very well this year.

12. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Before we put Sunday in the rearview mirror, let’s highlight the historic milestone that we achieved that day – in losing a 9th game in a row, we achieved the longest losing streak in franchise history. And what a proud history it has been, huh? It is also the third extended losing streak in as many seasons. We lost 6 in a row last year…7 in a row the year before…9 this year…and Whisenhunt still has a job??? Well, there ya go. Look no further for an explanation.

NOW, lets look ahead, shall we? But not to Sunday. Sunday is another loss and, frankly, I have no problem with that. What we need to look at is what other teams are – in regard to draft position for next season – and where we might end up.

The good news – there are 4 other teams at 4-9 ( Lions, Eagles, Titans, Panthers ) and I think they all will, or, at least CAN win another game this year. Hell, the Lions are playing the Cardinals this week, so…they’re in! Then…

…the bad news – the Chiefs and Jaguars, neither of whom is likley to finish any better than 2-14 or 3-13. THAT is a problem because they both need QB’s just as bad as we do. And this is NOT a good draft for that position. Nor do there appear to be any veteran FA’s to get excited over. Great timing here, huh?

Ya know, the meaningless 4-0 start is actually killing us now. Seeing how things are turning out, I can only wish we had lost a couple of them as well. Only THIS sorry-ass team could put itself in that perfect position of having enough losses to be pathetic but perhaps NOT enough to get up high enough in the draft to get what they need. Oh, the joys…

BTW, just got the USA Today Sports Weekly and it confirms what last week’s game shouted for all the world to hear – that the Cardinals are THE worst team in the NFL at this point, ranked 32 out of 32 teams. And rest assured that the only reason we aren’t ranked lower than 32 is because there are not 33 teams.

13. By Dynosoar on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

I don’t see any QB in FA that is better than Kevin Kolb.

Johnthedraftguy, my curiosity’s piqued, what is it you like so much about Landry Jones for our Cardinals?

If Eddie Lacy from Alabama is available (we could really use a RB like him, although he’s only a junior now), do you take Jones or Lacy? I don’t see either available in the second round. If Kolb had Lacy, our offense would improve just like San Francisco’s has.

14. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Oh, just realized that I forgot about the Raiders! So, add them to the bad news section of my previous post. They’re 3-13 and it’s hard to believe they could possibly win 2 of their last 3. That would be one more team ahead of us in the draft that is also horrible at the QB position. Sigh…

GO RAIDERS!!! Just win, baby! PLEASE!!!!

15. By john the draft guy on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

When the coaches and players for the Lions sit down and look at film and put together a game plan against our offense, it must be difficult to not take us lightly.

Yes, the lions are struggling too. But when you see Lindley missing wide open guys, throwing 10 yards over their head or 5 yards behind them, it has to be tough to take this offense serious.

Defenses have to be thinking, Stat Ball. Pad my stats with picks or sacks.

In the 20 years I’ve watched the cards, I have never seen a worse QB go under center. This will be the hardest game to go to ever. It will be tough to cheer for anything the cards do.

16. By Mark on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

i can see snyder start at center and finally senio kelemete gets his 1st shot at starting just like potteer and massie.we’ll see what they do at the center position this sunday

17. By Mark on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

*Potter

18. By wnycardfan on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Mark and Dean K (entertaining)
    I don’t see Hoyer being much other than stop gap
    For all the “injuries” we;ve had this year, its a bit amazing that they didn’t look for more players sooner (they looked at this woozie guy for RB this week, Hoyer, etc).
    Another thing that I’ve thought about as I contemplate all my years watching this team………….where are the SUPER stars of cardinals fame? I mean you see all the ESPN film of highlights and/or the 30/30 films, and show me the cardinal player on them? Perhaps Fitz will be on them when he is 50. Perhaps Warner’s life they’ll show some of his cardinal days. But who else? I mean even the buffalo bills had some super stars with great highlights. Why do we not have any that great?
    Funny (not really) article on NFL.com about top ten interesting facts so far where of course our horrible play/season comes up.
    1) AZ QB’s haven’t thrown TD pass in 4 games, but have thrown 3 pick sixes
    2) Patriots have scored more in the last 5 games then AZ has ALL season
    3) Peterson has rushed for more yards (1101) in the last 7 games then the cards (among others) have all year with all their rushers

and then one I was thinking it will be just our luck this week to help happen.
    Megatron needs only 300 yards rec to break Jerry Rices one season record in yards. Could it be he gets it this week???

19. By john the draft guy on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Dynosoar,

I’ve watched Landry for a few years. What I like about him is he is accurate with his passes. He knows how to read defenses and goes through his progressions well. I like QBs with size (although Russel Wilson is making me a believer). Jones is 6’4″ and 225.
    He has a very strong arm and can zip the ball in the seems or hit the outs. He also can throw the ball down the field, but will hit his outlets.

His negatives are that he can get his feet out of place and throw in a bad motion when pressured in the pocket.

As for which one, I love Lacy too. We will be a top 5-6 pick. There are teams like the Bears who are in desperate need of lineman. If Joeckel is there at our pick, we could get some extra picks moving down in the draft.

Picking in the bottom third of the draft, we could land Landry Jones and then pick up Lacy with the 37th-38th pick of the second round.

With the additional 2nd rounder from trading down, we could land a number of solid offensive guards. With two guards ahead of Barrett Jones, he could drop into the second like Peter Konz (starter for falcons) did last year.

Could I be wrong about where these guys will go? sure. It is early in the draft process.

But to answer your question about who I would take, Jones or Lacy? I would take Jones. Every year we watch RBs come from no where (Alfred Morris 6th round – Bryce Brown 7th round) but as we have seen, You need to get a QB early.

20. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Lindley starting…….?????
    I knew Whiz was out of “Options”.. Lindley makes a Cards fan yearn for the days of Max Hall and Derek Anderson…. Good god….. I never thought I was ever going to say that. No since in watching this coming debactle……
    What a waste of money and talent……

21. By philly cards 1994- on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Why on earth would kolb take a pay cut? Where is that from? Are we all following along! He beat new england he was 4-0 8tds 3 int INSPITE of whiz!

that will make him leave. Then what do we have? I guarantee we never recover.

Whisenhunt will be fired for having money and a stadium only dennis green -the man whiz is living off- has coached the az cardinals with those advantages. And dennis green wasn’t going to sit there and accept mediocrity.he quit.

Tobin got fired for not carrying momentunm. With all of the injuries he had.and no stadium

Dave mac would have never won a game making roster decisions like whiz. He had kevin kasper as his do it all guy.

Whiz had it all and turned into the wizard at the end of wizard of oz.just a guy turning some knobs.he fooled us.

22. By jeff on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Wow Scott H….
    I really hope we don’t take one of the qb’s in this draft. I hope we start with a tackle. That would make the most sense. Massie has gotten much better as the year has gone on and so has potter. The would give us the unspectacular levi, starting rookie on the other side, massie at guard, snyder at center and then see who wins the other guard spot. And with that one addition our line looks a whole lot better. And there will be some game managers available in free agency such as alex smith which is really all the cards need. And if you were to ask a wide receiver on this team if they would take a guy that can complete 10 yard passes 70% of the time, I bet they jump for joy. With all this we still have to retain some defensive pieces and get some more young blood on that side of the ball but I’m excited for what potentially could happen with the draft and this team next year. We are not missing that many pieces, just the biggest one. And I would be very happy if kolb restructured his contract. I loved skelton coming into this year, but I give up on him.

23. By Bryth on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

We need to draft Aaron Murray. Best QB in the draft IMO

24. By lg on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

why wont they give vince young a chance it dam show cant hurt nothing we are out of the playoff picture he really wants a shout at it i say go for it cant be no worse than what we got

25. By georgiebird on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Oh! So Whiz is at it again. Whiz plays Skelton last week at Seattle. Right now, there is no tougher venue in the NFL for a QB than to play at Seattle against the tough Seahawks. Throw in the fact that our defense was bad and that led to a major thumping. Recently, many real good QBs on good teams have had nightmare performances at Century Link.
    But now, here come the Lions with one of the worst defenses in the NFL and Whiz goes back to Lindley. Compared to the games Skelton has played a considerable amount -@GB; @Minn @ Sea & home to SF- playing against the Lionjs’ defense would be a piece of cake- and that’s the Lions @ UofP.
    The Lions’ game would have been a great one to let the 24 year old Skelton start.
    Once again, I’m not saying Skelton is the answer at QB-it’s just that JS has had the deck stacked against him this year. At age 24, he will go to another NFL team and have a good career-I’ll be rooting for him !

26. By johnnybluenose on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

any doubt that skelton will not be released at season’s end has now been erased by whiz’s decision to start lindley. which is not to say that skelton will not get to play on sunday because i have no faith in lindley either. it just means that skelton is finished here. and to think that he was whiz’s qb choice coming out of the pre-season. whiz has no clue. i wonder if fitz can gain more than two yards this week?

27. By CAJI on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Great put radio back in

28. By Campbells on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

Last week Fitz made several comments, and was instrumental in our first pick. Upsetting to hear how great he is, despite having key drops recently. Hope he just focuses on catching the ball from here on out.

29. By pacardfan on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

I agree with lg and Bryth., that’s if Aaron enters the draft. lg…I was wondering that way back before the season even started.

30. By Chuck 1 on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

IF Graves, Keim and Whiz are still employed by the Cards, they will draft BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE as they have done since they’ve bee with the team.
    Ergo, look for them to draft for positions like CB, DL, SS, LB, WR etc.
    MAYBE, in the SIXTH round they’ll draft an OL or a QB.

You can take that to the bank.

31. By wnycardfan on Dec 12, 2012 | Reply

so what are the odds on Fitz getting more than 1 catch and more than say 10 yards this week?
    and odds on scoring a TD (rushing or passing)? Any odds on a passing TD?
    any odds on rushing more than say 80 yards this game?
    Don’t know what to think anymore

32. By nocard on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

geordie….blah blah blah

33. By Louisville Card on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

@georgiebird

You can’t seriously still be sticking up for Skelton. Name one team that would even take him as a backup. He is terrible this is the last year Skelton and Lindley both play in the NFL. You must be related to the guy to be saying he is going to have a good career at this point.

34. By Kevin S on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Philly card –

If you would pay Kolb the money we are scheduled to pay him next year with his injury history, then I doubt you’d make a very good GM.

No one else is going to pick him up and pay him anywhere near what the Cards are scheduled to pay him next year, given that he has had 3 major injuries in 2 years here, playing in less than half the games, and the previous year lost the starting job in Philly after being injured in the opener. The 8 TD’s vs 3 INT’s are nice, but not very helpful when your QB only plays 6 games.

And by the way, I’m one of Kolb’s biggest supporters, but why do people keep saying we were 4-0 with him without acknowledging he was the starter in the next 2 which were losses in which we scored a total of 19 points?

35. By Hammy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Im just looking forward to the offseason when we clear house and get rid of Coach Whiz and the horrible Offensive coaching staff! QB coach McNulty should never get another qb coaching job in the nfl. Whiz has been nothing better than a .500 coach. There is absolutely no excuse to not have found this team a legitimate starting quarterback.

We will have a top 7 or better pick in each round this year. Depending on who the GM is( not named Rod Graves) we should draft some good guys to contribute immediately. Round 1 draft an Offensive Lineman, Round 2 Quarterback, Round 3 Running back.

Trade Chris Wells, cut Adam Snyder, Trade Dockett, cut Wilson.
    Sign Matt Moore, Sign David Garrard, Sign Tackle Vollmer from New England once he hits free agency.

And Last but not least sign the Cardinals fans as GM and vote on all personnel changes.

36. By cardsalltheway on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

32nd ranked team(how many categories?) in the NFL, okay so we are bad, but do our players(P. Peterson) have to make us sound silly and irrational too?

“”(Johnson is) second in my book behind Larry (Fitzgerald),” Peterson told Detroit reporters during a conference call, via the Detroit Free Press.”

Fitz is ranked 41st, Darren would you please tell P. Peterson that? Many NFL fans consider Fitz to be insignificant, me included!

37. By Rich on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Guys….please read this brief comment……trust that I know this from experience….I am an older guy.
    If any organization wants a Leader On The Field….they need to respect that guy as such. Whiz does not support his QB’s with the respect the position deserves. Warner had a legacy of respect that he took to the field.
    When the head coach treats the field manager (QB) as any other player……the players on the field don’t respect that qb.
    Whiz did not get the Steelers head coaching job specifically because of the way he handled QB’s. Rothlisberger wouln’t have him.
    The QB is the most important guy on the team. Not the coach. Belichek and Coughlin and guys like that accept it. Whiz does not.

38. By D on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

All of the Card fans that want Whiz fired are over re-acting. Did he and Graves do a bad job in replacing Warner, yes, but even Parcells, Jimmy Johnson and Belicheck got fired because of one thing, they didn’t have a QB. This is a QB driven league, the bad teams that got good QBs recently, now their coaches are the best thing since sliced bread…Redskins, Colts, Bengals….If the Cards find a quality QB in the second or third round to build around — Whiz will be a smart good offensive minded hot coach again…
    Replace the GM and make changes on the staff so they can get back to work for next year.

39. By john the draft guy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Bryth,

I would not be upset if Murray was our pick. This is an exciting player. He is a gun slinger who could be exactly what the cards need.

My biggest concern for him is two things.
    First, being a Jr, he may try to improve his draft status and fight for a National Championship by returning to school.
    Second, he is only 6’1″. But with Brees and Wilson showing shorter QBs can be successful, maybe that wont be as much a concern.

Watching Murray does make you think Brees the way he spreads the ball and will get it deep if you make a mistake.

The smaller QBs are never high picks. He could go around the lower half of round one or beginning of 2.

40. By Brett n Co. on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Landry is way over rated I’m sorry but I have seen plenty of his games he is like every other college qb always in shotgun mode no under center always looking toward the sideline for the play he has no leadership skills at all. Ok he’s tall but he plays in the big 12 with an offense built for the PAC 12 all about speed he will flop just like Barkley

41. By philly cards 1994- on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

The meeting managment had with whiz has led kolb to dl. An addition of third healthy qb.small adjustment but moves whiz refused to make.

42. By john the draft guy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

One of the things that is irritating on this board is people writing there are no QBs in this draft. Did you go to a draft page and read that somewhere? Keep in mind, these draft boards are the same boards who said these guys weren’t franchise QBs;
    Brady
    Dalton
    Wilson
    Freeman
    Brees
    Romo
    Schaub
    and some of them thought Rodgers would be a bust.

At the same time, they proclaimed these guys as franchise guys;
    Leaf
    J Russel
    Akeli Smith
    Tim Couch
    Sanchez
    Gabbert
    and the list could go on and on.

All I have to say is watch the guys play and trust your eyes.
    Are they running a pro style offense or are the system guy ?
    Can they read defenses or is it 3 steps and the ball is out?
    Do they have a big wine up or do they have a short quick release?
    Are they accurate with throws over 10 yards or is everything short slants and the wrs do the work?.
    Do they set their feet and throw with a good motion or are they throwing off there back foot as the rush comes.?
    How do they do against better talent? are all their stats against the bad schools?

All those QBs who are franchise guys had flaws coming out. Dalton’s arm wasn’t strong enough. But at TCU, you could see him compensate by releasing the ball early and being accurate. Would you take him? Heck yeah.

Guys like Dalton are in this draft. The cards need to understand that your future is finding that QB and moving away from the 3 guys we have now.

****Of course interviews are crucial to the pick; This story is a great one****;

It is rumored that the Colts talked with Both Manning and Leif and asked them the same question. The question was, if we draft you number one overall, what is the first thing you will do. Leif answered, I would be so happy I would celebrate and throw a party for family and friends. (seems like what many of us would do) . When Manning was asked what he would do, He said, I will be on a plane to Indy to get a playbook and start getting to work.

Not surprising how the two careers went now, is it?

43. By shannon robinson on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

I’m sending $10 to Darnell to pay on his “fine” – not that he needs the money, but as a fan I side with #90 when it comes to a defense letting the other team score. That game was lost somewhere around the middle of the first quarter – that’s when the fines should be measured out.

44. By Louisville Card on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway

All you ever post is crap putting down either a coach or a player. I think you are a SF fan just posting BS to see if you can get a rise out of someone. I usually don’t take the bait and try to ignore your idiotic comments but C’mon man leave Fitz out of your BS comments noone wants to read…

45. By john the draft guy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Brett and Co.
    Yes, that is a concern that Landry is usually in shotgun and not under center. and Playing in the Big 12 is not the same as defenses in the SEC.

So those are two legit comments about Landry Jones.

The reason he looks to the sidelines is the plays are flashed from the sideline instead of radioed in to the headset. This is a control issue of the coaches who like to change plays at the line.

Can Landry make those changes? Tough to say. That is why interviews are so important. But one thing I do know is he is smart, experienced, has a bigger arm than Barkley and fits the mode of a classic pocket passer.

Listen, he is not Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning. those guys don’t come by often. He reminds me of Carson Palmer. He will throw some picks and struggle as a rookie. But he can get us on the right path to moving into a consistent team. Thats what having a QB for several years does.

Of course us card fans have never experienced that.

46. By john the draft guy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Shannon robinson,

#90 had no problem letting the other team score in Seattle.

47. By Kevin S on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

JTDG,

Your list proves that, as much as we’d like it to be, figuring out what players are future NFL QB’s based on their play in college — against much different competition, usually running a much different offense — is still very inexact. Andrew Luck, it seems, everyone and his brother was able to recognize as a unique talent. But of the 2011 class, I’d sure rather have Andy Dalton (and based on a small sample size, maybe even Kaepernick) than Gabbert/Locker/Ponder at this point. So while I agree that just because there may not be a Luck in the draft, that doesn’t mean there aren’t QB’s worth drafting, at the same time we need to understand that whomever we draft can’t be expected to be an instant savior. (And, we may get it wrong.)

I know we disagree somewhat on Kolb (I think he’d be fine if he could stay healthy; I don’t think you think much of him), but we definitely don’t disagree on the need to get stability at this key position.

48. By Kevin S on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Of course, Kaepernick’s success may be a function of the team he’s playing for, in particular a good O-line. Maybe even our triumvirate would look good in SF for all I know.

49. By wnycardfan on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

okay so on QB’s in the draft, I hear there are no big winners this year. Doesn’t mean there aren’t ones that will be good or surprise.
    That being said, all of you that are into following it this early, who are the biggest/best names in QB’s this year for drafting purposes?
    I heave Landry, Geno Smith, Barkley, the guy from NC state???? Asking because I don’t know

50. By john the draft guy on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

wnycardfan,

The Juniors haven’t declared yet, so it is tough to say. but the list of potential guys are;

Geno Smith – west virgina
    Matt Barkley- USC
    Landry Jones- Oklahoma
    Tyler Wilson- Arkansas
    Tyler Bray- Tennessee
    Aaron Murray- Georgia
    EJ Manual – FSU
    Mike Glennon – NC St.
    Ryan Nassib – Syracuse
    Zac Dysart – Miami (ohio)

To be honest, I have never seen Glennon, Nassib, or Dysart play.

Murray and Bray are juniors and may not come out.

51. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

lg -

RE: Why won’t they take a chance on Vince Young?

Gee, I don’t know, lg…why don’t you ask any one of the other 31 NFL teams that also want nothing to do with him???

Is your whole thought process around VY based on the simple premise that he has to be better than what we have now? Ok. Two things -

1) What we have now is so utterly horrible that any QB you could name right now is probably better than what we have now. Can we try to trim the list down to something a little shorter than the damn white pages?

2) Even if VY WERE better than what we have now, is he good enough to make the TEAM any better than it has been? He absolutely is not. So, what is the point?

I honestly think that many Cardinals fans have been beaten so far down by the chronic losing that their standards have become “Well, it’s better than what we have now…” That is so sad. People better start snapping out of it and setting their sights higher. Where the QB position is concerned, people better STOP thinking on the level of Vince Young’s and the Donavan McNabb’s and the Kyle Orton’s of the world. Take a look at the QB’s palying for the top 10-12 teams in the league and realize that THAT is what we need to aspire to if we are going to break the cycle of losing.

Take a few minutes and jot down as many QB’s as you can think of who have started for this team since the days of Neil Lomax. You’ll be AMAZED at how many names you come up with. And when you step back and admire your list, it will be immediately clear to you WHY we have been what we have been over the last 30 years. The only REAL success we had during that time coincided with the ONLY QB we have had during that time who played at the level of truly elite QB.

We need to be DONE with the Derek Anderson’s and the Jeff Blake’s and the kent Graham’s and the Jay Shroeder’s of the world. They have – and will continue to – perpetuate the endless cycle of losing if that is where we are setting our sights.

When are the Cardinals going to have a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning or an Aaron Rogers??? The answer is that we never will if this sorry-ass organization doesn’t start thinking along different lines.

52. By wnycardfan on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

thanks draft guy

53. By wnycardfan on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Scott H – well put. Go look at our record as a team from 1970 on up or whatever. As I posted elsewhere here, where are the SUPER stars of Cardinal history??? Who was the BEST RB ever in our history? QB (Well we know that, but outside of warner, who), WR (we know that too, but before Ftiz who). etc….Team/ownership/leadership needs to create winning atmosphere and expectation. QB’s are hit or miss, we know that, but how about TRYING to find the right/best one?

54. By cardsalltheway on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

Louisville Card,
    “If you think Fitz is insignificant and don’t like him who on this team do you like and why are you a so called fan of the Cards?

It’s silly of you to put words in my mouth, I didn’t say I “didn’t like Fitz.”
    But what’s it matter if I do/don’t? He’s still ranked # 41 among WR’s. And, you’re insignificant when questioning my or any other fans love for the team. If only I could be a real fan like you aye? Ho Ho Ho!!!

55. By fightingbird on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

We need a big time QB

56. By georgiebird on Dec 13, 2012 | Reply

@wnycardfan
    Roy (Jet Stream) Green was the best WR in Cardinals history.
    Larry Fitz (who is great) will have many more catches than Green did in his rather short career BUT:
    1) Green was regularly double and triple teamed
    2) Green could run away from the best corners the way Larry ran away from Polamalu.
    3) Green was a home run hitter; Larry is a doubles hitter
    4) Green could stretch a defense like very few players who ever played

I saw both guys play and Green was the more dominant player. In fact, Roy Green could be the most underrated WR of all-time because he played for lousy Cardinals’ teams. Once again, this is to take nothing away from Larry who unlike Green will make it to the HOF.

57. By clssylssy on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

OK…So even if Hoyer is a stopgap why not start him against the Lions? It’s not like he could make anything worse and he has to be better than Lindley. Even if he has a passing understanding of the Cards system, he has been around the NFL and with good enough coaches long enough that he should be able to read the field at least, and can call the plays he’s told to call. I don’t see that the Cards have anything to lose at this point and Lindley has proven he can’t find a receiver with both hands and a map ! I’m kinda with the guy who has been lobbying for Vince Young in that the guy is DESPERATE to prove he can still get it done in the NFL and if he can prove it with the Cards then I would think that is the best demonstration he could ask for…plus, Larry might get a few yards. Of course, it could be that we have become the “untouchables” of the NFL, in which case we need to hire a PR person to deal with all the negative press. We have talented young players who are having their future flushed by an organization that is administratively incompetent!

58. By john the draft guy on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Kevin S,

I do think Kolb is the best QB on this roster. But that isn’t saying much. I did give Kolb credit for making some changes, ie stepping up in the pocket, getting the ball out quicker.

A few things bother me about Kolb,

1) the “if” question keeps coming up. If he can stay healthy, then…..
    Truth is, his history says he can’t stay healthy.

2) coming from Houston, he was in the run and shoot style. Not a lot of reading defenses there and a lot of short slants, ect. Not many run and shoot QBs make it because they don’t read defenses. When defenses take away the quick pass, he pauses or stares down the wr. not knowing where to go with the ball.

3) IMO, he seems to come out of the huddle pre determined to where he is going. Countless times, he will stare down a guy and force it in when someone is running wide open. I pointed out a play I believe in Seattle or one of the early games. Kolb stares down the FB coming out on the flat who was covered but forced it in for 4 yards. When you take a look at the back view, Heap in running wide open down the seam for a TD. He should have read that the safeties were outside the hashes, the LB picked up the full back and the safety doubled Fitz, leaving the middle wide open. People cheered hm for his strong arm getting it into a tight window for positive yards. But I saw something different.

4) finally, his pocket presence. Are you ever relaxed when he drops back or do you hold your breath? He never ozzes a feeling of confidence that a QB should. OK, I not a big Jake Plummer fan but I give him his due. He could go out and throw it backwards to one of his lineman in the endzone one play. The next time out though, you still felt he could do it. It is that it factor that is hard to put a finger on. Kolb doesnt have the it factor.

Now Kolb is better than most FAs, and most likely gives us a better chance to win early next year. But I am more for taking our lumps with a rookie QB (a real one -not Lindley) than winning a couple games and costing us our future. As some posters said, Why haven’t we ever had a Peyton, Aikman, Brady, ect. You know, a franchise QB. The answer is we always are in panic mode and trying to win that moment instead of building something the will last.

We got two good young Tackles, we should add another Back and a guard or two. The defense is in pretty good shape (could use a ILB and another pass rusher) It is set up for a vet QB to take over and get us 9 wins. But I just think getting a QB for the next 10 years and letting him grow (ala Dalton) is the way for long term success.. Think how much easier it is for Miami to build around Tannehill than a team trying to find a vet to fill a hole at QB.

59. By Kevin S on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

Excellent analysis as always, JTDG. And I am on board with picking up a rookie QB, whether we immediately play him or not. If we keep Kolb around as well (almost certainly requires a contract restructuring — even I, a Kolb fan, wouldn’t pay him what he’s scheduled to make next year), and if he were the named starter going in, then by the “he’s injury prone” logic we’d see the rookie soon enough anyway. And maybe (as with R. Wilson who unexpectedly beat out Flynn after Flynn was brought over to be “the guy”) our rookie would convince the coaching staff that he was better anyway.

60. By Bryan B on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

You forgot the raiders have a worse record than the cards as well

61. By ndpenner on Dec 14, 2012 | Reply

I hope we save face a little in the remaining games.Draft some OL, get rid of Skelton and Lindley, restructure Kolb, draft a QB, bring back Bartel, get rid of Grimm….so much to do. I just hope we can pull it together next season and keep Kolb upright and either he turn out being worth trading for or we get a decent QB in the2014 draft. LOL.It’s getting harder to wear my hoodie out in public. Most people in Alaska don’t even know the Card’s are a pro team…

62. By Louisville Card on Dec 16, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway

I’m sorry if I offended you, and I try to not take the bait on every post you post. I do question your love for the team though not anyone else’s. I’ve been reading this blog for a few years now and have yet to see one comment from you in that time that wasn’t negative towards someone on the team or organization. Not to bring georgiebird in on this but even he has said some nice things about the team in that time.

I know not every game or move the team makes is great and they do deserve some flack sometimes, but to not have one good thing to ever say makes me wonder why you are a fan.

To your Fitz point, he has been insignificant this year in terms of numbers, but how do you expect the guy to put up numbers when he has qb’s throwing him the ball that can’t hit the broad side of a barn on a regular basis. The cards don’t have an active qb on their roster that should even be stepping on a NFL feild. So don’t blame Fitz for not being significant. As soon as someone can get him the ball he will catch it…